Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on dna repair in New York, United States
Locale: New York, United States
Topic: dna repair
Publications344 found, 100 shown here
- Roset R, Inagaki A, Hohl M, Brenet F, Lafrance Vanasse J, Lange J, et al. The Rad50 hook domain regulates DNA damage signaling and tumorigenesis. Genes Dev. 2014;28:451-62 pubmed publisher..These data reveal that the murine Rad50 hook domain strongly influences Mre11 complex-dependent DDR signaling, tissue homeostasis, and tumorigenesis. ..
- Carroll B, Pulkoski Gross M, Hannun Y, Obeid L. CHK1 regulates NF-ÎºB signaling upon DNA damage in p53- deficient cells and associated tumor-derived microvesicles. Oncotarget. 2016;7:18159-70 pubmed publisher..Our data provide evidence that targeting CHK1 in p53-deficient cancers may abrogate NF-ÎºB signaling that is associated with increased cellular survival and chemoresistance. ..
- Sandigursky M, Franklin W. Exonuclease IX of Escherichia coli removes 3' phosphoglycolate end groups from DNA. Radiat Res. 1998;150:609-11 pubmed..We now demonstrate that the enzyme is also able to remove 3' phosphoglycolate end groups from DNA. This activity may have an important role in DNA base excision repair in E. coli. ..
- Perlow R, Kolbanovskii A, Hingerty B, Geacintov N, Broyde S, Scicchitano D. DNA adducts from a tumorigenic metabolite of benzo[a]pyrene block human RNA polymerase II elongation in a sequence- and stereochemistry-dependent manner. J Mol Biol. 2002;321:29-47 pubmed..It is likely that these differences between the behaviors of T7RNAP and human RNAPII are a result of the structural characteristics of the enzymes' active sites, a hypothesis that is explored in light of their known crystal structures. ..
- Liu X, Lao Y, Yang I, Hecht S, Moriya M. Replication-coupled repair of crotonaldehyde/acetaldehyde-induced guanine-guanine interstrand cross-links and their mutagenicity. Biochemistry. 2006;45:12898-905 pubmed
- Wong L, Recht J, Laurent B. Chromatin remodeling and repair of DNA double-strand breaks. J Mol Histol. 2006;37:261-9 pubmed..Here, we review the current understanding and new hypotheses on how different chromatin-modifying activities function in DNA repair in yeast and metazoan cells. ..
- Kosoy A, Calonge T, Outwin E, O Connell M. Fission yeast Rnf4 homologs are required for DNA repair. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:20388-94 pubmed..pombe Ulp2/Smt4 homolog that, when overexpressed, reduced SUMO levels and suppressed the DNA damage sensitivity of rfp1Delta rfp2Delta cells. ..
- Smith C, Lam A, Symington L. Aberrant double-strand break repair resulting in half crossovers in mutants defective for Rad51 or the DNA polymerase delta complex. Mol Cell Biol. 2009;29:1432-41 pubmed publisher..Thus, the BIR defect observed for rad51 mutants is due to strand invasion failure, whereas the Pol delta complex mutants are proficient for strand invasion but unable to complete extensive tracts of recombination-initiated DNA synthesis...
- Fung C, Mozlin A, Symington L. Suppression of the double-strand-break-repair defect of the Saccharomyces cerevisiae rad57 mutant. Genetics. 2009;181:1195-206 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, we investigated the currently unknown mechanism of rad57 suppression by MAT heterozygosity and found that it is independent of DNL4. ..
- Mazloum N, Stegman M, Croteau D, Van Houten B, Kwon N, Ling Y, et al. Identification of a chemical that inhibits the mycobacterial UvrABC complex in nucleotide excision repair. Biochemistry. 2011;50:1329-35 pubmed publisher..Thus, ATBC appears to be a cell-penetrant, selective inhibitor of mycobacterial NER. Chemical inhibitors of NER may facilitate studies of the role of NER in prokaryotic pathobiology...
- Rechkoblit O, Delaney J, Essigmann J, Patel D. Implications for damage recognition during Dpo4-mediated mutagenic bypass of m1G and m3C lesions. Structure. 2011;19:821-32 pubmed publisher..Our studies provide insights into mechanisms related to hindered and mutagenic bypass of methylated lesions and models associated with damage recognition by repair demethylases. ..
- Wallner P, Anscher M, Barker C, Bassetti M, Bristow R, Cha Y, et al. Current status and recommendations for the future of research, teaching, and testing in the biological sciences of radiation oncology: report of the American Society for Radiation Oncology Cancer Biology/Radiation Biology Task Force, executive summar. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2014;88:11-7 pubmed publisher..The TF charge specifically precluded consideration of research issues related to technology, physics, or clinical investigations. This document represents an Executive Summary of the Task Force report. ..
- Kleiman F, Manley J. Functional interaction of BRCA1-associated BARD1 with polyadenylation factor CstF-50. Science. 1999;285:1576-9 pubmed
- Zaika E, Perlow R, Matz E, Broyde S, Gilboa R, Grollman A, et al. Substrate discrimination by formamidopyrimidine-DNA glycosylase: a mutational analysis. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:4849-61 pubmed..His-89 and Lys-217 help determine the specificity of Fpg in recognizing the oxidatively damaged base, while Arg-108 provides specificity for bases positioned opposite the lesion. ..
- Lee J, Zhou P. DCAFs, the missing link of the CUL4-DDB1 ubiquitin ligase. Mol Cell. 2007;26:775-80 pubmed..Recent work identified a family of DDB1 and CUL4-associated factors (DCAFs) as substrate receptors, implicating a broad spectrum of cellular processes regulated by CUL4-DDB1. ..
- Barlow J, Lisby M, Rothstein R. Differential regulation of the cellular response to DNA double-strand breaks in G1. Mol Cell. 2008;30:73-85 pubmed publisher..Together, these results demonstrate that the DNA repair machinery distinguishes between different types of damage in G1, which translates into different modes of checkpoint activation in G1 and S/G2 cells. ..
- Uson M, Ghosh S, Shuman S. The DNA Repair Repertoire of Mycobacterium smegmatis FenA Includes the Incision of DNA 5' Flaps and the Removal of 5' Adenylylated Products of Aborted Nick Ligation. J Bacteriol. 2017;199: pubmed publisher..FenA incises 5' flaps, 5' nicks, and 5' App(dN) intermediates of aborted nick ligation. The isolated N-terminal domain of M. smegmatis Pol1 is also shown to be a flap endonuclease. ..
- Purohit N, Robu M, Shah R, Geacintov N, Shah G. Characterization of the interactions of PARP-1 with UV-damaged DNA in vivo and in vitro. Sci Rep. 2016;6:19020 pubmed publisher..These techniques will permit characterization of different roles of PARP-1 in the repair of UV-damaged DNA and also allow the study of normal housekeeping roles of PARP-1 with undamaged DNA. ..
- Sung P, Watkins J, Prakash L, Prakash S. Negative superhelicity promotes ATP-dependent binding of yeast RAD3 protein to ultraviolet-damaged DNA. J Biol Chem. 1994;269:8303-8 pubmed..The rad3 Arg-48 mutant protein, which lacks the DNA helicase activity, also binds UV-damaged DNA preferentially, indicating that DNA helicase and damage binding are two distinct and separable functional entities in RAD3. ..
- Ouyang H, Nussenzweig A, Kurimasa A, Soares V, Li X, Cordon Cardo C, et al. Ku70 is required for DNA repair but not for T cell antigen receptor gene recombination In vivo. J Exp Med. 1997;186:921-9 pubmed..These results suggest that distinct but overlapping repair pathways may mediate DNA DSB repair and V(D)J recombination. ..
- Edelmann W, Yang K, Umar A, Heyer J, Lau K, Fan K, et al. Mutation in the mismatch repair gene Msh6 causes cancer susceptibility. Cell. 1997;91:467-77 pubmed
- Petersen S, Casellas R, Reina San Martin B, Chen H, Difilippantonio M, Wilson P, et al. AID is required to initiate Nbs1/gamma-H2AX focus formation and mutations at sites of class switching. Nature. 2001;414:660-665 pubmed publisher..In addition, AID is required for induction of switch region (S mu)-specific DNA lesions that precede CSR. These results place AID function upstream of the DNA modifications that initiate CSR. ..
- Morgan E, Shah N, Symington L. The requirement for ATP hydrolysis by Saccharomyces cerevisiae Rad51 is bypassed by mating-type heterozygosity or RAD54 in high copy. Mol Cell Biol. 2002;22:6336-43 pubmed
- Terry M, Gammon M, Zhang F, Eng S, Sagiv S, Paykin A, et al. Polymorphism in the DNA repair gene XPD, polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon-DNA adducts, cigarette smoking, and breast cancer risk. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2004;13:2053-8 pubmed..Overall, this study suggests that those individuals with this polymorphism in the XPD gene may face an increased risk of breast cancer from PAH-DNA adducts and cigarette smoking. ..
- Mimitou E, Symington L. Sae2, Exo1 and Sgs1 collaborate in DNA double-strand break processing. Nature. 2008;455:770-4 pubmed publisher..Second, Exo1 and/or Sgs1 rapidly process this intermediate to generate extensive tracts of single-stranded DNA that serve as substrate for Rad51. ..
- Sarangi P, Bartosova Z, Altmannova V, Holland C, Chavdarova M, Lee S, et al. Sumoylation of the Rad1 nuclease promotes DNA repair and regulates its DNA association. Nucleic Acids Res. 2014;42:6393-404 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest a model whereby sumoylation of Rad1 promotes its disengagement from DNA after nuclease cleavage, allowing it to efficiently attend to large numbers of DNA lesions. ..
- Palladino F, Klein H. Analysis of mitotic and meiotic defects in Saccharomyces cerevisiae SRS2 DNA helicase mutants. Genetics. 1992;132:23-37 pubmed
- Wiesendanger M, Kneitz B, Edelmann W, Scharff M. Somatic hypermutation in MutS homologue (MSH)3-, MSH6-, and MSH3/MSH6-deficient mice reveals a role for the MSH2-MSH6 heterodimer in modulating the base substitution pattern. J Exp Med. 2000;191:579-84 pubmed..In contrast, Msh3(-)/- mice show no differences from their littermate controls. These findings indicate that the MSH2-MSH6 heterodimer, but not the MSH2-MSH3 complex, is responsible for modulating Ig hypermutation. ..
- Yao N, Leu F, Anjelkovic J, Turner J, O Donnell M. DNA structure requirements for the Escherichia coli gamma complex clamp loader and DNA polymerase III holoenzyme. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:11440-50 pubmed..The possible biological significance of these structural constraints is discussed. ..
- Couedel C, Mills K, Barchi M, Shen L, Olshen A, Johnson R, et al. Collaboration of homologous recombination and nonhomologous end-joining factors for the survival and integrity of mice and cells. Genes Dev. 2004;18:1293-304 pubmed..The substantially increased DNA damage response in the double mutants implies a cooperation of the two DSB repair pathways for survival and genomic integrity in the animal. ..
- Halicka H, Huang X, Traganos F, King M, Dai W, Darzynkiewicz Z. Histone H2AX phosphorylation after cell irradiation with UV-B: relationship to cell cycle phase and induction of apoptosis. Cell Cycle. 2005;4:339-45 pubmed..Induction of gammaH2AX in G(1), G(2) and M is likely a response to the primary DSBs generated during UV exposure and/or DNA repair. It is unclear why the latter process was more pronounced in HeLa than in HL-60 cells. ..
- Ordonez H, Shuman S. Mycobacterium smegmatis Lhr Is a DNA-dependent ATPase and a 3'-to-5' DNA translocase and helicase that prefers to unwind 3'-tailed RNA:DNA hybrids. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:14125-34 pubmed publisher..Lhr homologs are found in bacteria representing eight different phyla, being especially prevalent in Actinobacteria (including M. tuberculosis) and Proteobacteria (including Escherichia coli). ..
- Yu M, Liu K, Mao Z, Luo J, Gu W, Zhao W. USP11 Is a Negative Regulator to γH2AX Ubiquitylation by RNF8/RNF168. J Biol Chem. 2016;291:959-67 pubmed publisher..Together, our findings elucidate deeply and extensively the mechanism of RNF8/RNF168 and USP11 to maintain the proper status of ubiquitylation γH2AX to repair DSB. ..
- PleÅ¡ka M, Qian L, Okura R, Bergmiller T, Wakamoto Y, Kussell E, et al. Bacterial Autoimmunity Due to a Restriction-Modification System. Curr Biol. 2016;26:404-9 pubmed publisher..Our results identify molecular noise in RM systems as a factor shaping prokaryotic genomes. ..
- Bailis A, Arthur L, Rothstein R. Genome rearrangement in top3 mutants of Saccharomyces cerevisiae requires a functional RAD1 excision repair gene. Mol Cell Biol. 1992;12:4988-93 pubmed..These results suggest that a RAD1-dependent function is involved in the processing of damaged DNA that results from the loss of Top3 activity, targeting such DNA for repair by recombination. ..
- Johnson R, Liu N, Jasin M. Mammalian XRCC2 promotes the repair of DNA double-strand breaks by homologous recombination. Nature. 1999;401:397-9 pubmed..The repair defect in XRCC2 mutant cells appears to be restricted to recombinational repair because NHEJ is normal. We conclude that XRCC2 is involved in the repair of DNA double-strand breaks by homologous recombination. ..
- Pierce A, Hu P, Han M, Ellis N, Jasin M. Ku DNA end-binding protein modulates homologous repair of double-strand breaks in mammalian cells. Genes Dev. 2001;15:3237-42 pubmed..Neither sister-chromatid exchange nor gene-targeting frequencies show a dependence on these NHEJ proteins. A Ku-modulated two-ended versus one-ended chromosome break model is presented to explain these results. ..
- Market E, Papavasiliou F. V(D)J recombination and the evolution of the adaptive immune system. PLoS Biol. 2003;1:E16 pubmed
- Chattopadhyaya B, Di Cristo G, Higashiyama H, Knott G, Kuhlman S, Welker E, et al. Experience and activity-dependent maturation of perisomatic GABAergic innervation in primary visual cortex during a postnatal critical period. J Neurosci. 2004;24:9598-611 pubmed
- Barchi M, Mahadevaiah S, Di Giacomo M, Baudat F, de Rooij D, Burgoyne P, et al. Surveillance of different recombination defects in mouse spermatocytes yields distinct responses despite elimination at an identical developmental stage. Mol Cell Biol. 2005;25:7203-15 pubmed..Thus, despite equivalent stages of spermatocyte elimination, different recombination-defective mutants manifest distinct responses, providing insight into surveillance mechanisms in male meiosis. ..
- Weinstock D, Jasin M. Alternative pathways for the repair of RAG-induced DNA breaks. Mol Cell Biol. 2006;26:131-9 pubmed..Thus, RAG-generated DSBs are typically repaired by the NHEJ pathway in ES cells, but in the absence of NHEJ components, a substantial fraction of breaks can be efficiently channeled into alternative pathways in these cells. ..
- Zhao G, Zhou X, Wang L, Li G, Kisker C, Lennarz W, et al. Structure of the mouse peptide N-glycanase-HR23 complex suggests co-evolution of the endoplasmic reticulum-associated degradation and DNA repair pathways. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:13751-61 pubmed..The different interaction interfaces of the xeroderma pigmentosum group C binding domains in yeast and mammals suggest a co-evolution of the endoplasmic reticulum-associated degradation and DNA repair pathways. ..
- Chen X, Zhang J, Lee J, Lin P, Ford J, Zheng N, et al. A kinase-independent function of c-Abl in promoting proteolytic destruction of damaged DNA binding proteins. Mol Cell. 2006;22:489-99 pubmed..These results revealed a kinase-independent function of c-Abl in a ubiquitin-proteolytic pathway that regulates the damage recognition step of nucleotide excision repair. ..
- Burgess R, Lisby M, Altmannova V, Krejci L, Sung P, Rothstein R. Localization of recombination proteins and Srs2 reveals anti-recombinase function in vivo. J Cell Biol. 2009;185:969-81 pubmed publisher..This constant breakdown and rebuilding of filaments may act as a stringent quality control mechanism during HR. ..
- Siaud N, Barbera M, Egashira A, Lam I, Christ N, Schlacher K, et al. Plasticity of BRCA2 function in homologous recombination: genetic interactions of the PALB2 and DNA binding domains. PLoS Genet. 2011;7:e1002409 pubmed publisher..The occurrence of disease-causing mutations throughout BRCA2 suggests sub-optimal HR from a variety of domain modulations. ..
- Yamamoto K, Wang Y, Jiang W, Liu X, Dubois R, Lin C, et al. Kinase-dead ATM protein causes genomic instability and early embryonic lethality in mice. J Cell Biol. 2012;198:305-13 pubmed publisher..Together, these results reveal an essential function of ATM during embryogenesis and an important function of catalytically inactive ATM protein in DNA repair. ..
- Mu H, Kropachev K, Wang L, Zhang L, Kolbanovskiy A, Kolbanovskiy M, et al. Nucleotide excision repair of 2-acetylaminofluorene- and 2-aminofluorene-(C8)-guanine adducts: molecular dynamics simulations elucidate how lesion structure and base sequence context impact repair efficiencies. Nucleic Acids Res. 2012;40:9675-90 pubmed publisher..Overall, the greater NER efficiencies are correlated with greater extents of base sequence-dependent local untwisting and minor groove opening together with weaker stacking interactions. ..
- Yu B, Dalton W, Yang V. CDK1 regulates mediator of DNA damage checkpoint 1 during mitotic DNA damage. Cancer Res. 2012;72:5448-53 pubmed publisher..Our findings offer key new insights into how DDR is controlled during mitosis. ..
- Peterson S, Li Y, Wu Baer F, Chait B, Baer R, Yan H, et al. Activation of DSB processing requires phosphorylation of CtIP by ATR. Mol Cell. 2013;49:657-67 pubmed publisher..Chromatin binding by modified CtIP precedes extensive resection and full checkpoint activation...
- Kelman Z, O Donnell M. DNA polymerase III holoenzyme: structure and function of a chromosomal replicating machine. Annu Rev Biochem. 1995;64:171-200 pubmed..This review summarizes our present knowledge about the function of the 10 subunits of this replicating machine and how they coordinate their actions for smooth duplication of chromosomes. ..
- Poltoratsky V, Goodman M, Scharff M. Error-prone candidates vie for somatic mutation. J Exp Med. 2000;192:F27-30 pubmed
- Kang L, Symington L. Aberrant double-strand break repair in rad51 mutants of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Cell Biol. 2000;20:9162-72 pubmed..Furthermore, the repair products recovered from the rad1 rad51 strain were primarily in the crossover configuration, inconsistent with conservative models for mitotic double-strand break repair. ..
- Davis A, Symington L. The yeast recombinational repair protein Rad59 interacts with Rad52 and stimulates single-strand annealing. Genetics. 2001;159:515-25 pubmed..These results suggest that in vivo Rad59 is unable to compete with RPA for single-stranded DNA and therefore is unable to promote single-strand annealing. Instead, Rad59 appears to augment the activity of Rad52 in strand annealing. ..
- Ocampo M, Chaung W, Marenstein D, Chan M, Altamirano A, Basu A, et al. Targeted deletion of mNth1 reveals a novel DNA repair enzyme activity. Mol Cell Biol. 2002;22:6111-21 pubmed
- Sparrow J, Zhou J, Cai B. DNA is a target of the photodynamic effects elicited in A2E-laden RPE by blue-light illumination. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2003;44:2245-51 pubmed..DNA is one of the cellular constitutents that can be damaged by the interaction of A2E and blue light. At least some of the DNA lesions are oxidative base modifications. ..
- Schawalder J, Paric E, Neff N. Telomere and ribosomal DNA repeats are chromosomal targets of the bloom syndrome DNA helicase. BMC Cell Biol. 2003;4:15 pubmed..BLM is localized in nuclear bodies when it associates with telomeric repeats in both telomerase positive and negative cells. The BLM DNA helicase participates in genomic stability at ribosomal DNA repeats and telomeres. ..
- Krogh B, Llorente B, Lam A, Symington L. Mutations in Mre11 phosphoesterase motif I that impair Saccharomyces cerevisiae Mre11-Rad50-Xrs2 complex stability in addition to nuclease activity. Genetics. 2005;171:1561-70 pubmed..Our results show that the structural integrity of the Mre11-Rad50-Xrs2 complex is more important than the catalytic activity of the Mre11 nuclease for the overall functions of the complex in vegetative cells. ..
- Saeki H, Siaud N, Christ N, Wiegant W, van Buul P, Han M, et al. Suppression of the DNA repair defects of BRCA2-deficient cells with heterologous protein fusions. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:8768-73 pubmed
- Emanuel P, Scheinfeld N. A review of DNA repair and possible DNA-repair adjuvants and selected natural anti-oxidants. Dermatol Online J. 2007;13:10 pubmed..Understanding DNA repair mechanisms is far from complete; further understanding will provide insight into the pathogenesis of cancer and pave the way for efficacious therapeutic agents...
- Bandi S, Joseph B, Berishvili E, Singhania R, Wu Y, Cheng K, et al. Perturbations in ataxia telangiectasia mutant signaling pathways after drug-induced acute liver failure and their reversal during rescue of animals by cell therapy. Am J Pathol. 2011;178:161-74 pubmed publisher..We concluded that Atm signaling played critical roles in the pathological features of liver failure. These studies should help redirect examination of pathophysiologic and therapeutic mechanisms in liver failure. ..
- Peterson S, Li Y, Chait B, Gottesman M, Baer R, Gautier J. Cdk1 uncouples CtIP-dependent resection and Rad51 filament formation during M-phase double-strand break repair. J Cell Biol. 2011;194:705-20 pubmed publisher..We have thus identified Cdk1 as a critical regulator of DSB repair in M phase. Cdk1 induces persistent ssDNA-RPA overhangs in M phase, thereby preventing both classical NHEJ and Rad51-dependent HDR...
- Cremona C, Sarangi P, Yang Y, Hang L, Rahman S, Zhao X. Extensive DNA damage-induced sumoylation contributes to replication and repair and acts in addition to the mec1 checkpoint. Mol Cell. 2012;45:422-32 pubmed publisher..We also show that DNA damage-induced sumoylation does not require Mec1 checkpoint signaling, and the presence of both enables optimal DNA damage resistance. ..
- Balestrini A, Nicolás L, Yang Lott K, Guryanova O, Levine R, Bassing C, et al. Defining ATM-Independent Functions of the Mre11 Complex with a Novel Mouse Model. Mol Cancer Res. 2016;14:185-95 pubmed publisher..These data show that the DNA repair, rather than DDR signaling functions of the complex, is acutely required in the context of ATM deficiency to suppress genome instability and lymphomagenesis. ..
- Lu Y, Lian H, Sharma P, Schreiber Agus N, Russell R, Chin L, et al. Disruption of the Cockayne syndrome B gene impairs spontaneous tumorigenesis in cancer-predisposed Ink4a/ARF knockout mice. Mol Cell Biol. 2001;21:1810-8 pubmed
- Pierce A, Jasin M. NHEJ deficiency and disease. Mol Cell. 2001;8:1160-1 pubmed..Manifestation of some of these disease phenotypes, namely tumorigenesis, may require additional checkpoint deficiencies. ..
- Mulder L, Chakrabarti L, Muesing M. Interaction of HIV-1 integrase with DNA repair protein hRad18. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:27489-93 pubmed..Taken together, these findings identify hRad18 as a novel interacting partner of HIV-1 integrase and suggest a role for post-replication/translesion DNA repair in the retroviral integration process. ..
- Sinha K, Stephanou N, Gao F, Glickman M, Shuman S. Mycobacterial UvrD1 is a Ku-dependent DNA helicase that plays a role in multiple DNA repair events, including double-strand break repair. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:15114-25 pubmed..The physical and functional interactions of bacterial Ku and UvrD1 highlight the potential for cross-talk between components of nonhomologous end joining and nucleotide excision repair pathways. ..
- Yamamoto K, Nihrane A, Aglipay J, Sironi J, ARKIN S, Lipton J, et al. Upregulated ATM gene expression and activated DNA crosslink-induced damage response checkpoint in Fanconi anemia: implications for carcinogenesis. Mol Med. 2008;14:167-74 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that cancer in FA may arise from selection for cells that escape from a chronically activated DDR checkpoint. ..
- Reid L, Shakya R, Modi A, Lokshin M, Cheng J, Jasin M, et al. E3 ligase activity of BRCA1 is not essential for mammalian cell viability or homology-directed repair of double-strand DNA breaks. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:20876-81 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that key aspects of BRCA1 function in genome maintenance, including its role in homology-directed repair of double-strand DNA breaks, do not depend on the E3 ligase activity of BRCA1. ..
- Williams H, Gottesman M, Gautier J. The differences between ICL repair during and outside of S phase. Trends Biochem Sci. 2013;38:386-93 pubmed publisher..Here, we discuss some recent insights into the mechanisms of replication-dependent and replication-independent repair of ICLs with special emphasis on the differences between these repair pathways. ..
- Edelmann W, Cohen P, Kane M, Lau K, Morrow B, Bennett S, et al. Meiotic pachytene arrest in MLH1-deficient mice. Cell. 1996;85:1125-34 pubmed..The phenotypes of the mlh1 mutant mice are distinct from those deficient in msh2 and pms2. The different phenotypes of the three types of mutant mice suggest that these three genes may have independent functions in mammalian meiosis. ..
- Edelmann W, Umar A, Yang K, Heyer J, Kucherlapati M, Lia M, et al. The DNA mismatch repair genes Msh3 and Msh6 cooperate in intestinal tumor suppression. Cancer Res. 2000;60:803-7 pubmed..When the Msh3-/- and Msh6-/- mutations are combined, the tumor predisposition phenotype is indistinguishable from Msh2-/- or Mlh1-/- mice. These results suggest that MSH3 cooperates with MSH6 in tumor suppression. ..
- Tan K, Leal S, Cross G. Trypanosoma brucei MRE11 is non-essential but influences growth, homologous recombination and DNA double-strand break repair. Mol Biochem Parasitol. 2002;125:11-21 pubmed
- Graneli A, Yeykal C, Robertson R, Greene E. Long-distance lateral diffusion of human Rad51 on double-stranded DNA. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:1221-6 pubmed..This study provides previously uncharacterized insights into the behaviors of human Rad51, which may apply to other members of the RecA-like family of recombinases. ..
- Sengupta A, Mense S, Lan C, Zhou M, Mauro R, Kellerman L, et al. Gene expression profiling of human primary astrocytes exposed to manganese chloride indicates selective effects on several functions of the cells. Neurotoxicology. 2007;28:478-89 pubmed..These results provide important insights into the molecular mechanisms underlying Mn neurotoxicity. ..
- Wang L, Stone S, Hoatlin M, Gautier J. Fanconi anemia proteins stabilize replication forks. DNA Repair (Amst). 2008;7:1973-81 pubmed publisher..Together, our data suggest that FA proteins play a role in replication restart at collapsed replication forks. ..
- Nair P, Smith P, Shuman S. Structure of bacterial LigD 3'-phosphoesterase unveils a DNA repair superfamily. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:12822-7 pubmed publisher..The PE active site and mechanism are unique vis à vis other end-healing enzymes. We find PE homologs in archaeal and eukaryal proteomes, signifying that PEs comprise a DNA repair superfamily. ..
- Lange J, Yamada S, Tischfield S, Pan J, Kim S, Zhu X, et al. The Landscape of Mouse Meiotic Double-Strand Break Formation, Processing, and Repair. Cell. 2016;167:695-708.e16 pubmed publisher..Our results paint a comprehensive picture of features governing successive steps in mammalian meiotic recombination. ..
- Pero R, Johnson D, Markowitz M, Doyle G, Lund Pero M, Seidegard J, et al. DNA repair synthesis in individuals with and without a family history of cancer. Carcinogenesis. 1989;10:693-7 pubmed
- Ishizaka S, Lilly F. Genetic control of resistance to 3-methylcholanthrene-induced T-cell lymphoma in mice. Cancer Res. 1989;49:1214-9 pubmed..No correlation was seen between resistance and either DNA repair ability, thymic superoxide dismutase levels, or natural killer activity. ..
- Niu H, Erdjument Bromage H, Pan Z, Lee S, Tempst P, Hurwitz J. Mapping of amino acid residues in the p34 subunit of human single-stranded DNA-binding protein phosphorylated by DNA-dependent protein kinase and Cdc2 kinase in vitro. J Biol Chem. 1997;272:12634-41 pubmed..We also identified Ser-29 as the major Cdc2 kinase phosphorylation site in the p34 subunit. ..
- Lopez de Saro F, O Donnell M. Interaction of the beta sliding clamp with MutS, ligase, and DNA polymerase I. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2001;98:8376-80 pubmed
- Wang H, Douglas W, Lia M, Edelmann W, Kucherlapati R, Podsypanina K, et al. DNA mismatch repair deficiency accelerates endometrial tumorigenesis in Pten heterozygous mice. Am J Pathol. 2002;160:1481-6 pubmed
- Smilenov L, Lieberman H, Mitchell S, Baker R, Hopkins K, Hall E. Combined haploinsufficiency for ATM and RAD9 as a factor in cell transformation, apoptosis, and DNA lesion repair dynamics. Cancer Res. 2005;65:933-8 pubmed
- Heller R, Marians K. Replication fork reactivation downstream of a blocked nascent leading strand. Nature. 2006;439:557-62 pubmed
- Cohen P, Pollack S, Pollard J. Genetic analysis of chromosome pairing, recombination, and cell cycle control during first meiotic prophase in mammals. Endocr Rev. 2006;27:398-426 pubmed..This review provides a comprehensive analysis of the use of genetic manipulation, particularly in mice, but also of the analysis of mutations in humans, to elucidate the mechanisms that are required for traverse through prophase I. ..
- Saal L, Gruvberger Saal S, Persson C, Lövgren K, Jumppanen M, Staaf J, et al. Recurrent gross mutations of the PTEN tumor suppressor gene in breast cancers with deficient DSB repair. Nat Genet. 2008;40:102-7 pubmed..These findings also argue that obtaining an accurate census of genes mutated in cancer will require a systematic examination for gross gene rearrangements, particularly in tumors with deficient DSB repair. ..