Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on dna polymerase iii in New York, United States
Locale: New York, United States
Topic: dna polymerase iii
- Georgescu R, Kim S, Yurieva O, Kuriyan J, Kong X, O Donnell M. Structure of a sliding clamp on DNA. Cell. 2008;132:43-54 pubmed publisher..The pronounced 22 degrees angle of DNA through beta may enable DNA to switch between multiple factors bound to a single clamp simply by alternating from one protomer of the ring to the other. ..
- Onrust R, Finkelstein J, Naktinis V, Turner J, Fang L, O Donnell M. Assembly of a chromosomal replication machine: two DNA polymerases, a clamp loader, and sliding clamps in one holoenzyme particle. I. Organization of the clamp loader. J Biol Chem. 1995;270:13348-57 pubmed..Naktinis, V., and O'Donnell, M. (1995) J. Biol. Chem. 270, 13378-13383). The single copy subunits within the gamma complex provide the basis for the structural asymmetry inherent within DNA polymerase III holoenzyme. ..
- Rahmeh A, Zhou Y, Xie B, Li H, Lee E, Lee M. Phosphorylation of the p68 subunit of Pol ? acts as a molecular switch to regulate its interaction with PCNA. Biochemistry. 2012;51:416-24 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest a role of phosphorylation of the PIP-motif of p68 as a molecular switch that dynamically regulates the functional properties of Pol ?. ..
- Kong X, Onrust R, O Donnell M, Kuriyan J. Three-dimensional structure of the beta subunit of E. coli DNA polymerase III holoenzyme: a sliding DNA clamp. Cell. 1992;69:425-37 pubmed
- Zhang S, Zhou Y, Sarkeshik A, Yates J, Thomson T, Zhang Z, et al. Identification of RNF8 as a ubiquitin ligase involved in targeting the p12 subunit of DNA polymerase ? for degradation in response to DNA damage. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:2941-50 pubmed publisher..The identification of RNF8 allows new insights into the integration of the control of p12 degradation by different DNA damage signaling pathways. ..
- Stukenberg P, Studwell Vaughan P, O Donnell M. Mechanism of the sliding beta-clamp of DNA polymerase III holoenzyme. J Biol Chem. 1991;266:11328-34 pubmed..Hence, the high processivity of the holoenzyme is rooted in a "sliding clamp" of beta on DNA that tethers the polymerase to the primed template. Implications for transcription and translation are discussed. ..
- Gulbis J, Kazmirski S, Finkelstein J, Kelman Z, O Donnell M, Kuriyan J. Crystal structure of the chi:psi sub-assembly of the Escherichia coli DNA polymerase clamp-loader complex. Eur J Biochem. 2004;271:439-49 pubmed..The base of the clamp-loader complex has an open C-shaped structure, and the shape of the chi:psi complex is suggestive of a loose docking within the crevice formed by the open faces of the delta and delta' subunits of the clamp-loader. ..
- Wu C, Zechner E, Marians K. Coordinated leading- and lagging-strand synthesis at the Escherichia coli DNA replication fork. I. Multiple effectors act to modulate Okazaki fragment size. J Biol Chem. 1992;267:4030-44 pubmed
- Meng X, Zhou Y, Lee E, Lee M, Frick D. The p12 subunit of human polymerase delta modulates the rate and fidelity of DNA synthesis. Biochemistry. 2010;49:3545-54 pubmed publisher..The loss of p12, which occurs in cells upon exposure to DNA-damaging agents, converts Pol delta to a form that has an increased capacity for proofreading. ..
- Espeli O, Levine C, Hassing H, Marians K. Temporal regulation of topoisomerase IV activity in E. coli. Mol Cell. 2003;11:189-201 pubmed..These observations suggest that topoisomerase IV activity in vivo might be dependent on release of ParC from the replication factory. ..
- Smith D, Whitehouse I. Intrinsic coupling of lagging-strand synthesis to chromatin assembly. Nature. 2012;483:434-8 pubmed publisher..Our studies represent the first high-resolution analysis--to our knowledge--of eukaryotic Okazaki fragments in vivo, and reveal the interconnection between lagging-strand synthesis and chromatin assembly. ..
- Kelman Z, Yuzhakov A, Andjelkovic J, O Donnell M. Devoted to the lagging strand-the subunit of DNA polymerase III holoenzyme contacts SSB to promote processive elongation and sliding clamp assembly. EMBO J. 1998;17:2436-49 pubmed..These results establish a role for the psi subunit in contacting SSB, thus enhancing the clamp loading and processivity of synthesis of the holoenzyme, presumably by helping to localize the holoenzyme to sites of SSB-coated ssDNA. ..
- Leu F, Georgescu R, O Donnell M. Mechanism of the E. coli tau processivity switch during lagging-strand synthesis. Mol Cell. 2003;11:315-27 pubmed..Thus, this highly processive replication machine has evolved a mechanism to specifically counteract processivity at a defined time in the lagging-strand cycle. ..
- Jain R, Hammel M, Johnson R, Prakash L, Prakash S, Aggarwal A. Structural insights into yeast DNA polymerase delta by small angle X-ray scattering. J Mol Biol. 2009;394:377-82 pubmed publisher..The analysis also points to significant conformational variability that may allow Poldelta to better coordinate its action with other proteins at the replication fork. ..
- McInerney P, O Donnell M. Replisome fate upon encountering a leading strand block and clearance from DNA by recombination proteins. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:25903-16 pubmed..We find here that these proteins displace a stalled polymerase at a DNA template lesion. Implications of these results for replication fork collapse and recovery are discussed. ..
- Mok M, Marians K. The Escherichia coli preprimosome and DNA B helicase can form replication forks that move at the same rate. J Biol Chem. 1987;262:16644-54 pubmed..The single-stranded DNA binding protein was not required to maintain this high rate of movement in the case of leading strand DNA synthesis catalyzed by the DNA polymerase III holoenzyme and the DNA B helicase. ..
- Pan Z, Chen M, Hurwitz J. The subunits of activator 1 (replication factor C) carry out multiple functions essential for proliferating-cell nuclear antigen-dependent DNA synthesis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1993;90:6-10 pubmed..These activities are essential for the DNA elongation reactions that lead to the synthesis of leading-strand DNA and the maturation of Okazaki fragments. ..
- Liao Y, Willis I, Moir R. The Brf1 and Bdp1 subunits of transcription factor TFIIIB bind to overlapping sites in the tetratricopeptide repeats of Tfc4. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:44467-74 pubmed..The properties of the L469K mutation identify both Brf1 and Bdp1 as ligands for the second TPR array. ..
- Zechner E, Wu C, Marians K. Coordinated leading- and lagging-strand synthesis at the Escherichia coli DNA replication fork. II. Frequency of primer synthesis and efficiency of primer utilization control Okazaki fragment size. J Biol Chem. 1992;267:4045-53 pubmed..These data were used to draw general conclusions concerning the temporal order of enzymatic steps that operate during a cycle of Okazaki fragment synthesis on the lagging-strand DNA template. ..
- Bermudez V, Farina A, Raghavan V, Tappin I, Hurwitz J. Studies on human DNA polymerase epsilon and GINS complex and their role in DNA replication. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:28963-77 pubmed publisher..We suggest that reduction in the level of Pol ? may be less deleterious because of its collision-and-release role in lagging strand synthesis. ..
- Smith C, Lam A, Symington L. Aberrant double-strand break repair resulting in half crossovers in mutants defective for Rad51 or the DNA polymerase delta complex. Mol Cell Biol. 2009;29:1432-41 pubmed publisher..Thus, the BIR defect observed for rad51 mutants is due to strand invasion failure, whereas the Pol delta complex mutants are proficient for strand invasion but unable to complete extensive tracts of recombination-initiated DNA synthesis...
- Fang L, Davey M, O Donnell M. Replisome assembly at oriC, the replication origin of E. coli, reveals an explanation for initiation sites outside an origin. Mol Cell. 1999;4:541-53 pubmed..This observation generalizes to many systems, prokaryotic and eukaryotic. Heterogeneous initiation sites are likely explained by primase functioning with a moving helicase target. ..
- Shi J, Muir T. Development of a tandem protein trans-splicing system based on native and engineered split inteins. J Am Chem Soc. 2005;127:6198-206 pubmed..The technology should provide a convenient approach to the segmental isotopic or fluorogenic labeling of specific domains within the context of large multidomain proteins. ..
- Cai J, Gibbs E, Uhlmann F, Phillips B, Yao N, O Donnell M, et al. A complex consisting of human replication factor C p40, p37, and p36 subunits is a DNA-dependent ATPase and an intermediate in the assembly of the holoenzyme. J Biol Chem. 1997;272:18974-81 pubmed..Incubation of the p40.p37.p36 complex with the hRFC p140 and p38 subunits formed the five-subunit hRFC complex that supported PCNA-dependent DNA synthesis by DNA polymerase delta. ..
- Lockless S, Muir T. Traceless protein splicing utilizing evolved split inteins. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:10999-1004 pubmed publisher..Mutations within these evolved inteins occur at sites distant from the active site. We present a hypothesis that a network of conserved coevolving amino acids in inteins mediates these long-range effects. ..
- Lopez de Saro F, O Donnell M. Interaction of the beta sliding clamp with MutS, ligase, and DNA polymerase I. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2001;98:8376-80 pubmed
- O Donnell M. Accessory proteins bind a primed template and mediate rapid cycling of DNA polymerase III holoenzyme from Escherichia coli. J Biol Chem. 1987;262:16558-65 pubmed..These subunit dynamics suggest mechanisms for polymerase cycling on the lagging strand of replication forks in a growing chromosome. ..
- Xiao H, Dong Z, O Donnell M. DNA polymerase III accessory proteins. IV. Characterization of chi and psi. J Biol Chem. 1993;268:11779-84 pubmed..The chi subunit only stimulated the activities of gamma when the psi subunit was also present thus reflecting the structure where psi bridges the interaction of chi with gamma. ..
- Sun W, Godson G. Synthesis of polyribonucleotide chains from the 3'-hydroxyl terminus of oligodeoxynucleotides by Escherichia coli primase. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:16358-65 pubmed..We also show that the primed RNA is an effective primer for the synthesis of DNA chain by E. coli DNA polymerase III holoenzyme. The significance of this finding to primases generating multimeric length RNA is discussed. ..
- Zou H, Rothstein R. Holliday junctions accumulate in replication mutants via a RecA homolog-independent mechanism. Cell. 1997;90:87-96 pubmed..The level of Holliday junctions is greatly reduced in rad52 mutants, but surprisingly, not in mutants defective in the three known mitotically expressed yeast RecA homologs. ..
- López de Saro F, Georgescu R, O Donnell M. A peptide switch regulates DNA polymerase processivity. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003;100:14689-94 pubmed..Therefore, DNA sensing by tau switches the polymerase peptide tail on and off the clamp and coordinates the dynamic turnover of polymerase during lagging strand synthesis. ..
- Zhang S, Zhou Y, Trusa S, Meng X, Lee E, Lee M. A novel DNA damage response: rapid degradation of the p12 subunit of dna polymerase delta. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:15330-40 pubmed..These findings reveal a novel addition to the cellular repertoire of DNA damage responses that also impacts our understanding of the role of Pol delta in both DNA replication and DNA repair. ..
- Georgescu R, Yurieva O, Kim S, Kuriyan J, Kong X, O Donnell M. Structure of a small-molecule inhibitor of a DNA polymerase sliding clamp. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:11116-21 pubmed publisher..The results suggest that the small molecule may be useful in the future to probe polymerase function with beta, and that the beta-clamp may represent an antibiotic target. ..
- Georgescu R, Kurth I, O Donnell M. Single-molecule studies reveal the function of a third polymerase in the replisome. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2011;19:113-6 pubmed publisher..Second, tripolymerase replisomes are much more processive than dipolymerase replisomes. These features account for the unexpected three-polymerase-structure of bacterial replisomes. ..
- Bermudez V, MacNeill S, Tappin I, Hurwitz J. The influence of the Cdc27 subunit on the properties of the Schizosaccharomyces pombe DNA polymerase delta. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:36853-62 pubmed..In vivo, the introduction of these fused Cdc27 derivatives into cdc27Delta cells conferred viability. These data support the model in which Cdc27 plays an essential role in DNA replication by recruiting PCNA to the pol delta holoenzyme. ..
- Chen M, Pan Z, Hurwitz J. Sequence and expression in Escherichia coli of the 40-kDa subunit of activator 1 (replication factor C) of HeLa cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1992;89:2516-20 pubmed
- Yang I, Hossain M, Miller H, Khullar S, Johnson F, Grollman A, et al. Responses to the major acrolein-derived deoxyguanosine adduct in Escherichia coli. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:9071-6 pubmed..Nucleotide excision repair, recombination repair, and highly accurate translesion synthesis combine to protect E. coli from the potential genotoxicity of this DNA adduct. ..
- Moir R, Puglia K, Willis I. Interactions between the tetratricopeptide repeat-containing transcription factor TFIIIC131 and its ligand, TFIIIB70. Evidence for a conformational change in the complex. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:26591-8 pubmed..A more modest monovalent ion-dependent CD difference was observed in mixtures of TFIIIC131-(1-580) and TFIIIB70, suggesting that formation of the binary complex may proceed with the acquisition of alpha-helicity. ..
- Nevin P, Gabbai C, Marians K. Replisome-mediated translesion synthesis by a cellular replicase. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:13833-13842 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that DNA damage at the replication fork can be replicated directly by the replisome without the need to activate error-prone pathways. ..
- Kelman Z, O Donnell M. DNA polymerase III holoenzyme: structure and function of a chromosomal replicating machine. Annu Rev Biochem. 1995;64:171-200 pubmed..This review summarizes our present knowledge about the function of the 10 subunits of this replicating machine and how they coordinate their actions for smooth duplication of chromosomes. ..
- McInerney P, Johnson A, Katz F, O Donnell M. Characterization of a triple DNA polymerase replisome. Mol Cell. 2007;27:527-38 pubmed..We propose that two polymerases can function on the lagging strand and that the third DNA polymerase can act as a reserve enzyme to overcome certain types of obstacles to the replication fork. ..
- Langston L, O Donnell M. DNA polymerase delta is highly processive with proliferating cell nuclear antigen and undergoes collision release upon completing DNA. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:29522-31 pubmed publisher..The released pol delta transfers to a new primed site, provided the new site contains a PCNA clamp. Additional results indicate that the collision release mechanism is intrinsic to the pol3/pol31 subunits of the pol delta heterotrimer. ..
- López de Saro F, Georgescu R, Leu F, O Donnell M. Protein trafficking on sliding clamps. Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci. 2004;359:25-30 pubmed..It seems likely that the principles will generalize to a traffic flow of other factors on these circular clamp proteins. ..
- Yeeles J, Marians K. The Escherichia coli replisome is inherently DNA damage tolerant. Science. 2011;334:235-8 pubmed publisher..These observations reveal that the replisome can tolerate leading-strand template lesions without dissociating by synthesizing the leading strand discontinuously. ..
- Zuo S, Bermudez V, Zhang G, Kelman Z, Hurwitz J. Structure and activity associated with multiple forms of Schizosaccharomyces pombe DNA polymerase delta. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:5153-62 pubmed..Gel filtration studies indicate that the structure of this complex is dimeric. These observations suggest that the Cdc27 subunit may play an important role contributing to the dimerization of Pol delta. ..
- Kim S, Dallmann H, McHenry C, Marians K. tau couples the leading- and lagging-strand polymerases at the Escherichia coli DNA replication fork. J Biol Chem. 1996;271:21406-12 pubmed
- Xiao H, Crombie R, Dong Z, Onrust R, O Donnell M. DNA polymerase III accessory proteins. III. holC and holD encoding chi and psi. J Biol Chem. 1993;268:11773-8 pubmed..The accompanying report characterizes the function and physical interactions of chi and psi with other holenzyme subunits (Xiao, H., Dong, Z., and O'Donnell, M. (1993) J. Biol. Chem. 268, 11779-11784). ..
- Wang X, Zhang S, Zheng R, Yue F, Lin S, Rahmeh A, et al. PDIP46 (DNA polymerase Î´ interacting protein 46) is an activating factor for human DNA polymerase Î´. Oncotarget. 2016;7:6294-313 pubmed publisher..This raises the possibility that altered expression of PDIP46 or its mutation may affect Pol Î´ functions in vivo, and thereby be a nexus for altered genomic stability. ..
- Zuo S, Gibbs E, Kelman Z, Wang T, O Donnell M, MacNeill S, et al. DNA polymerase delta isolated from Schizosaccharomyces pombe contains five subunits. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1997;94:11244-9 pubmed..pombe chromosome 1. ..
- Onrust R, Finkelstein J, Turner J, Naktinis V, O Donnell M. Assembly of a chromosomal replication machine: two DNA polymerases, a clamp loader, and sliding clamps in one holoenzyme particle. III. Interface between two polymerases and the clamp loader. J Biol Chem. 1995;270:13366-77 pubmed..The single copy nature of the delta, delta', chi, and psi subunits confers a structural asymmetry with respect to the two polymerases, presumably for the different functions of replicating the leading and lagging strands. ..
- Kolinjivadi A, Sannino V, De Antoni A, Zadorozhny K, Kilkenny M, Técher H, et al. Smarcal1-Mediated Fork Reversal Triggers Mre11-Dependent Degradation of Nascent DNA in the Absence of Brca2 and Stable Rad51 Nucleofilaments. Mol Cell. 2017;67:867-881.e7 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that Brca2 and Rad51 prevent formation of abnormal DNA replication intermediates, whose processing by Smarcal1 and Mre11 predisposes to genome instability. ..
- Onrust R, O Donnell M. DNA polymerase III accessory proteins. II. Characterization of delta and delta'. J Biol Chem. 1993;268:11766-72 pubmed
- Studwell P, O Donnell M. Processive replication is contingent on the exonuclease subunit of DNA polymerase III holoenzyme. J Biol Chem. 1990;265:1171-8 pubmed..In light of these results the significance of the polymerase and exonuclease activities residing in two separate polypeptides is discussed. ..
- Yu C, Gan H, Zhang Z. Both DNA Polymerases ? and ? Contact Active and Stalled Replication Forks Differently. Mol Cell Biol. 2017;37: pubmed publisher..We propose that the configuration of DNA polymerases at stalled forks facilitates the resumption of DNA synthesis after stress removal. ..
- Zhang S, Zhao H, Darzynkiewicz Z, Zhou P, Zhang Z, Lee E, et al. A novel function of CRL4(Cdt2): regulation of the subunit structure of DNA polymerase ? in response to DNA damage and during the S phase. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:29550-61 pubmed publisher..The formation of Pol ?3 in S phase as a normal aspect of cell cycle progression leads to the novel implications that it is involved in DNA replication as well as DNA repair. ..
- Hingorani M, Bloom L, Goodman M, O Donnell M. Division of labor--sequential ATP hydrolysis drives assembly of a DNA polymerase sliding clamp around DNA. EMBO J. 1999;18:5131-44 pubmed..We also discuss underlying principles of this step-wise mechanism that may apply to the workings of other ATP-fueled biological machines. ..
- Bermudez V, Maniwa Y, Tappin I, Ozato K, Yokomori K, Hurwitz J. The alternative Ctf18-Dcc1-Ctf8-replication factor C complex required for sister chromatid cohesion loads proliferating cell nuclear antigen onto DNA. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003;100:10237-42 pubmed..These results support a model in which sister chromatid cohesion is linked to DNA replication. ..
- Liu L, Mo J, Rodriguez Belmonte E, Lee M. Identification of a fourth subunit of mammalian DNA polymerase delta. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:18739-44 pubmed..With the identification of p12 mammalian pol delta can now be shown to consist of four subunits. These studies pave the way for more detailed analysis of the possible functions of the mammalian subunits of pol delta. ..
- Yao N, Leu F, Anjelkovic J, Turner J, O Donnell M. DNA structure requirements for the Escherichia coli gamma complex clamp loader and DNA polymerase III holoenzyme. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:11440-50 pubmed..The possible biological significance of these structural constraints is discussed. ..
- O Donnell M, Jeruzalmi D, Kuriyan J. Clamp loader structure predicts the architecture of DNA polymerase III holoenzyme and RFC. Curr Biol. 2001;11:R935-46 pubmed..coli beta sliding clamp. We also expand upon the implications of the structural findings to the structure and function of the eukaryotic clamp loader, RFC, and the structure of E. coli DNA polymerase III holoenzyme. ..
- Kim S, Marians K. DNA and RNA-DNA annealing activity associated with the tau subunit of the Escherichia coli DNA polymerase III holoenzyme. Nucleic Acids Res. 1995;23:1374-9 pubmed..This suggests the tau may act to stabilize the primer-template interaction during DNA replication. ..
- Zechner E, Wu C, Marians K. Coordinated leading- and lagging-strand synthesis at the Escherichia coli DNA replication fork. III. A polymerase-primase interaction governs primer size. J Biol Chem. 1992;267:4054-63 pubmed
- Guenther B, Onrust R, Sali A, O Donnell M, Kuriyan J. Crystal structure of the delta' subunit of the clamp-loader complex of E. coli DNA polymerase III. Cell. 1997;91:335-45 pubmed
- Gao Y, Zhou Y, Xie B, Zhang S, Rahmeh A, Huang H, et al. Protein phosphatase-1 is targeted to DNA polymerase delta via an interaction with the p68 subunit. Biochemistry. 2008;47:11367-76 pubmed publisher..Our findings also show that CK2 is a strong candidate for the protein kinase involved in the in vivo phosphorylation of p68. ..
- Shibutani S, Dasaradhi L. Miscoding potential of tamoxifen-derived DNA adducts: alpha-(N2-deoxyguanosinyl)tamoxifen. Biochemistry. 1997;36:13010-7 pubmed..We conclude that dG-N2-tamoxifen adducts have high miscoding potentials. ..
- Levine C, Marians K. Identification of dnaX as a high-copy suppressor of the conditional lethal and partition phenotypes of the parE10 allele. J Bacteriol. 1998;180:1232-40 pubmed..These observations suggest a possible association between Topo IV and the replication machinery. ..
- Hingorani M, O Donnell M. ATP binding to the Escherichia coli clamp loader powers opening of the ring-shaped clamp of DNA polymerase III holoenzyme. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:24550-63 pubmed..open beta ring.DNA intermediate, setting the stage for ring closing and turnover of the clamp loader, steps that may be linked to subsequent hydrolysis of ATP. ..
- Liu J, Xu L, Sandler S, Marians K. Replication fork assembly at recombination intermediates is required for bacterial growth. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1999;96:3552-5 pubmed..These findings underscore the essentiality of replication fork restart at recombination intermediates under normal growth conditions in bacteria. ..
- Xie B, Mazloum N, Liu L, Rahmeh A, Li H, Lee M. Reconstitution and characterization of the human DNA polymerase delta four-subunit holoenzyme. Biochemistry. 2002;41:13133-42 pubmed..The functional interaction of PCNA with the pol delta complex may likely involve multiple contacts. ..
- Jeruzalmi D, Yurieva O, Zhao Y, Young M, Stewart J, Hingorani M, et al. Mechanism of processivity clamp opening by the delta subunit wrench of the clamp loader complex of E. coli DNA polymerase III. Cell. 2001;106:417-28 pubmed..Structural comparisons and molecular dynamics simulations suggest a spring-loaded mechanism in which the beta ring opens spontaneously once a dimer interface is perturbed by the delta wrench. ..
- Georgescu R, Kurth I, Yao N, Stewart J, Yurieva O, O Donnell M. Mechanism of polymerase collision release from sliding clamps on the lagging strand. EMBO J. 2009;28:2981-91 pubmed publisher..The tau subunit acts as a switch to enhance polymerase binding at a primed site but not at a nick. The OB domain acts as a sensor that regulates the affinity of Pol III to the clamp in the presence of ssDNA. ..
- Li H, Xie B, Rahmeh A, Zhou Y, Lee M. Direct interaction of p21 with p50, the small subunit of human DNA polymerase delta. Cell Cycle. 2006;5:428-36 pubmed..Our results suggested that p50 might target or anchor p21 to pol delta complex upon certain DNA damage such as adriamycin treatment. ..
- Studwell Vaughan P, O Donnell M. DNA polymerase III accessory proteins. V. Theta encoded by holE. J Biol Chem. 1993;268:11785-91 pubmed..Interaction of theta with epsilon slightly stimulated epsilon in excision of a 3' terminal mismatched nucleotide, suggesting a possible role for theta in fidelity. ..
- Swan M, Johnson R, Prakash L, Prakash S, Aggarwal A. Structural basis of high-fidelity DNA synthesis by yeast DNA polymerase delta. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2009;16:979-86 pubmed publisher..Taken together, the structure provides a chemical basis for the bulk of DNA synthesis in eukaryotic cells and a framework for understanding the effects of cancer-causing mutations in Pol delta. ..
- Indiani C, McInerney P, Georgescu R, Goodman M, O Donnell M. A sliding-clamp toolbelt binds high- and low-fidelity DNA polymerases simultaneously. Mol Cell. 2005;19:805-15 pubmed..These polymerase dynamics within the beta toolbelt complex restrict the action of the error-prone Pol IV to only the area on DNA where it is required. ..
- Leu F, O Donnell M. Interplay of clamp loader subunits in opening the beta sliding clamp of Escherichia coli DNA polymerase III holoenzyme. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:47185-94 pubmed..The implications of these actions for the workings of the E. coli clamp loading machinery and for eukaryotic RFC and PCNA are discussed. ..
- Zhang G, Gibbs E, Kelman Z, O Donnell M, Hurwitz J. Studies on the interactions between human replication factor C and human proliferating cell nuclear antigen. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1999;96:1869-74 pubmed..These results are in keeping with a model in which surface exposed regions of PCNA interact with RFC and the subsequent loading of PCNA onto DNA orients the elongation complex in a manner essential for processive DNA synthesis. ..
- Studwell Vaughan P, O Donnell M. Constitution of the twin polymerase of DNA polymerase III holoenzyme. J Biol Chem. 1991;266:19833-41 pubmed..The significance of these results with respect to the organization of subunits within the holoenzyme is discussed. ..
- Gan H, Yu C, Devbhandari S, Sharma S, Han J, Chabes A, et al. Checkpoint Kinase Rad53 Couples Leading- and Lagging-Strand DNA Synthesis under Replication Stress. Mol Cell. 2017;68:446-455.e3 pubmed publisher..Therefore, we propose that Rad53 prevents the generation of excessive ssDNA under replication stress by coordinating DNA unwinding with synthesis of both strands. ..