Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on dna binding proteins in New York, United States
Locale: New York, United States
Topic: dna binding proteins
Publications317 found, 100 shown here
- Shih D, Bussen M, Sehayek E, Ananthanarayanan M, Shneider B, Suchy F, et al. Hepatocyte nuclear factor-1alpha is an essential regulator of bile acid and plasma cholesterol metabolism. Nat Genet. 2001;27:375-82 pubmed..Our studies demonstrate that Tcf1, in addition to being an important regulator of insulin secretion, is an essential transcriptional regulator of bile acid and HDL-cholesterol metabolism. ..
- Leu F, O Donnell M. Interplay of clamp loader subunits in opening the beta sliding clamp of Escherichia coli DNA polymerase III holoenzyme. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:47185-94 pubmed..The implications of these actions for the workings of the E. coli clamp loading machinery and for eukaryotic RFC and PCNA are discussed. ..
- Markus M, Du Z, Benezra R. Enhancer-specific modulation of E protein activity. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:6469-77 pubmed
- Kee K, Keeney S. Functional interactions between SPO11 and REC102 during initiation of meiotic recombination in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics. 2002;160:111-22 pubmed..Tagged Rec102p localized to the nucleus in whole cells and to chromatin on spread meiotic chromosomes. Our results are consistent with the idea that a multiprotein complex that includes Spo11p and Rec102p promotes meiotic DSB formation. ..
- Dasen J, Liu J, Jessell T. Motor neuron columnar fate imposed by sequential phases of Hox-c activity. Nature. 2003;425:926-33 pubmed..Hox proteins also direct the expression of genes that establish motor topographic projections, thus implicating Hox proteins as critical determinants of spinal motor neuron identity and organization. ..
- Song L, Bhattacharya S, Yunus A, Lima C, Schindler C. Stat1 and SUMO modification. Blood. 2006;108:3237-44 pubmed..These observations suggest that although Stat1 can uniquely be SUMO-ylated in vitro, this modification is unlikely to play an important role in regulating Stat1 activity in vivo. ..
- Allemand E, Hastings M, Murray M, Myers M, Krainer A. Alternative splicing regulation by interaction of phosphatase PP2Cgamma with nucleic acid-binding protein YB-1. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2007;14:630-8 pubmed..We propose that PP2Cgamma modulates alternative splicing of specific pre-mRNAs coregulated by YB-1. ..
- Rozenfeld R, Devi L. Regulation of CB1 cannabinoid receptor trafficking by the adaptor protein AP-3. FASEB J. 2008;22:2311-22 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that intracellular CB(1) receptors are functional and that their spatial segregation is likely to significantly affect receptor function. ..
- Deriano L, Stracker T, Baker A, Petrini J, Roth D. Roles for NBS1 in alternative nonhomologous end-joining of V(D)J recombination intermediates. Mol Cell. 2009;34:13-25 pubmed publisher..These data demonstrate that the MRE11 complex functions at two distinct levels, regulating repair pathway choice (likely through enhancing the stability of DNA end complexes) and participating in alternative NHEJ of coding ends...
- Matsumoto T, Eki T, Hurwitz J. Studies on the initiation and elongation reactions in the simian virus 40 DNA replication system. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1990;87:9712-6 pubmed..These observations suggest that leading-strand synthesis in the in vitro SV40 replication system can be nonspecific. ..
- Kretzschmar M, Doody J, Massague J. Opposing BMP and EGF signalling pathways converge on the TGF-beta family mediator Smad1. Nature. 1997;389:618-22 pubmed..Thus, Smadl receives opposing regulatory inputs through RTKs and RS/TKs, and it is this balance that determines the level of Smad1 activity in the nucleus, and so possibly the role of Smad1 in the control of cell fate. ..
- Kiely J, Haase S, Russell P, Leatherwood J. Functions of fission yeast orp2 in DNA replication and checkpoint control. Genetics. 2000;154:599-607 pubmed..This suggests either that the Orp2 protein is a part of the checkpoint machinery or more likely that DNA replication initiation is required to induce the replication checkpoint signal. ..
- Dou C, Lee J, Liu B, Liu F, Massague J, Xuan S, et al. BF-1 interferes with transforming growth factor beta signaling by associating with Smad partners. Mol Cell Biol. 2000;20:6201-11 pubmed
- Prakash A, Smith E, Lee C, Levy D. Tissue-specific positive feedback requirements for production of type I interferon following virus infection. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:18651-7 pubmed
- Phan R, Saito M, Basso K, Niu H, Dalla Favera R. BCL6 interacts with the transcription factor Miz-1 to suppress the cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitor p21 and cell cycle arrest in germinal center B cells. Nat Immunol. 2005;6:1054-60 pubmed..Through this mechanism, BCL6 may facilitate the proliferative expansion of germinal centers during the normal immune response and, when deregulated, the pathological expansion of B cell lymphomas. ..
- Ren M, Villamarin A, Shih A, Coutavas E, Moore M, LoCurcio M, et al. Separate domains of the Ran GTPase interact with different factors to regulate nuclear protein import and RNA processing. Mol Cell Biol. 1995;15:2117-24 pubmed
- Smith S, de Lange T. TRF1, a mammalian telomeric protein. Trends Genet. 1997;13:21-6 pubmed..The recent isolation of TRF1, the mammalian telomeric-repeat binding factor, should now allow the structure and function of the telomeric complex to be examined in detail. ..
- Greenwood S, Struhl G. Different levels of Ras activity can specify distinct transcriptional and morphological consequences in early Drosophila embryos. Development. 1997;124:4879-86 pubmed
- Kelman Z, Yuzhakov A, Andjelkovic J, O Donnell M. Devoted to the lagging strand-the subunit of DNA polymerase III holoenzyme contacts SSB to promote processive elongation and sliding clamp assembly. EMBO J. 1998;17:2436-49 pubmed..These results establish a role for the psi subunit in contacting SSB, thus enhancing the clamp loading and processivity of synthesis of the holoenzyme, presumably by helping to localize the holoenzyme to sites of SSB-coated ssDNA. ..
- Nelson K, Schlondorff J, Blobel C. Evidence for an interaction of the metalloprotease-disintegrin tumour necrosis factor alpha convertase (TACE) with mitotic arrest deficient 2 (MAD2), and of the metalloprotease-disintegrin MDC9 with a novel MAD2-related protein, MAD2beta. Biochem J. 1999;343 Pt 3:673-80 pubmed
- Hingorani M, O Donnell M. Sliding clamps: a (tail)ored fit. Curr Biol. 2000;10:R25-9 pubmed
- Sun Z, Unutmaz D, Zou Y, Sunshine M, Pierani A, Brenner Morton S, et al. Requirement for RORgamma in thymocyte survival and lymphoid organ development. Science. 2000;288:2369-73 pubmed..Hence, RORgamma has critical functions in T cell repertoire selection and lymphoid organogenesis. ..
- Yang D, Lu H, Hong Y, Jinks T, Estes P, Erickson J. Interpretation of X chromosome dose at Sex-lethal requires non-E-box sites for the basic helix-loop-helix proteins SISB and daughterless. Mol Cell Biol. 2001;21:1581-92 pubmed..Comparisons with other dose-sensitive promoters suggest that threshold responses to diverse biological signals have common molecular mechanisms, with important variations tailored to suit particular functional requirements. ..
- Schiffer M, Schiffer L, Gupta A, Shaw A, Roberts I, Mundel P, et al. Inhibitory smads and tgf-Beta signaling in glomerular cells. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2002;13:2657-66 pubmed..These data indicate an important role for Smad6 and Smad7 in glomerular cells in vivo that could be important for the cell homeostasis in physiologic and pathologic conditions. ..
- Rallu M, Machold R, Gaiano N, Corbin J, McMahon A, Fishell G. Dorsoventral patterning is established in the telencephalon of mutants lacking both Gli3 and Hedgehog signaling. Development. 2002;129:4963-74 pubmed..In addition these results support the idea that, in addition to hedgehog signaling, a Shh-independent pathways must act during development to pattern the telencephalon. ..
- Schaffer A, Kim E, Wu X, Zan H, Testoni L, Salamon S, et al. Selective inhibition of class switching to IgG and IgE by recruitment of the HoxC4 and Oct-1 homeodomain proteins and Ku70/Ku86 to newly identified ATTT cis-elements. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:23141-50 pubmed..Oct-1. Ku-dependent mechanism of selective regulation of class switching to IgG and IgE and further suggest distinct co-evolution and shared CSR activation pathways in the Cgamma and Cepsilon as opposed to the Calpha1/Calpha2 loci. ..
- Liu D, Nath N, Chellappan S, Greene L. Regulation of neuron survival and death by p130 and associated chromatin modifiers. Genes Dev. 2005;19:719-32 pubmed..Thus, neuron survival and death are dependent on the integrity of E2F4-p130-HDAC/Suv39H1 complexes. ..
- Hockemeyer D, Daniels J, Takai H, de Lange T. Recent expansion of the telomeric complex in rodents: Two distinct POT1 proteins protect mouse telomeres. Cell. 2006;126:63-77 pubmed..We conclude that mouse telomeres require two distinct POT1 proteins whereas human telomeres have one. Such divergence is unprecedented in mammalian chromosome biology and has implications for modeling human telomere biology in mice. ..
- Maeda T, Ito K, Merghoub T, Poliseno L, Hobbs R, Wang G, et al. LRF is an essential downstream target of GATA1 in erythroid development and regulates BIM-dependent apoptosis. Dev Cell. 2009;17:527-40 pubmed publisher..Thus, our data define a key transcriptional cascade for effective erythropoiesis, whereby GATA-1 suppresses BIM-mediated apoptosis via LRF. ..
- Chiang C, Roeder R. Cloning of an intrinsic human TFIID subunit that interacts with multiple transcriptional activators. Science. 1995;267:531-6 pubmed..Thus, this human TFIID TAF may be a co-activator that mediates a response to multiple activators through a distinct mechanism. ..
- Yan R, Luo H, Darnell J, Dearolf C. A JAK-STAT pathway regulates wing vein formation in Drosophila. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1996;93:5842-7 pubmed
- Nurse P, Bahng S, Mossessova E, Marians K. Mutational analysis of Escherichia coli topoisomerase IV. II. ATPase negative mutants of parE induce hyper-DNA cleavage. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:4104-11 pubmed..Thus, while ATP is not required for DNA cleavage, the properties of these mutant enzymes suggests that ATP-hydrolysis informs DNA religation. ..
- Lau J, Parisien J, Horvath C. Interferon regulatory factor subcellular localization is determined by a bipartite nuclear localization signal in the DNA-binding domain and interaction with cytoplasmic retention factors. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2000;97:7278-83 pubmed..These findings suggest that analogous mechanisms may exist for regulating the distribution of other IRF proteins. ..
- Kumar S, Li Q, Dua A, Ying Y, Bagchi M, Bagchi I. Messenger ribonucleic acid encoding interferon-inducible guanylate binding protein 1 is induced in human endometrium within the putative window of implantation. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2001;86:2420-7 pubmed
- Fanzo J, Hu C, Jang S, Pernis A. Regulation of lymphocyte apoptosis by interferon regulatory factor 4 (IRF-4). J Exp Med. 2003;197:303-14 pubmed..These data suggest that IRF-4, by modulating the efficiency of the Fas-mediated death signal, is a novel participant in the regulation of lymphoid cell apoptosis. ..
- Xiong J, Fan S, Meng Q, Schramm L, Wang C, Bouzahza B, et al. BRCA1 inhibition of telomerase activity in cultured cells. Mol Cell Biol. 2003;23:8668-90 pubmed..Finally, endogenous BRCA1 and c-Myc were detected on transfected mouse and human TERT promoter segments in vivo. We postulate that inhibition of telomerase may contribute to the BRCA1 tumor suppressor activity. ..
- Young C, Masckauchan T, Kitajewski J. Beta-catenin/Tcf activation partially mimics the transforming activity of Wnt-1 in Rat-1 fibroblasts. Differentiation. 2003;71:477-85 pubmed..As ectopic expression of beta-cateninS37A only partially mimics Wnt-1 effects on Rat-1 cells, we conclude that Wnt-1 signaling elicits biochemical events that act in addition to beta-catenin/Tcf signaling to promote cell growth. ..
- Shechter D, Costanzo V, Gautier J. ATR and ATM regulate the timing of DNA replication origin firing. Nat Cell Biol. 2004;6:648-55 pubmed
- Chen L, Al Awqati Q. Segmental expression of Notch and Hairy genes in nephrogenesis. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2005;288:F939-52 pubmed..These studies provide the basis for the future development of strategies to examine the role of individual effector molecules in the determination of the differentiation pattern of the nephron. ..
- Ballas N, Grunseich C, Lu D, Speh J, Mandel G. REST and its corepressors mediate plasticity of neuronal gene chromatin throughout neurogenesis. Cell. 2005;121:645-657 pubmed publisher..Thus, a multistage repressor mechanism controls the orderly expression of genes during development while still permitting fine tuning in response to specific stimuli. ..
- Mintz C, Carcea I, McNickle D, Dickson T, Ge Y, Salton S, et al. ERM proteins regulate growth cone responses to Sema3A. J Comp Neurol. 2008;510:351-66 pubmed publisher..Our data support a model in which ERMs can coordinate membrane and actin dynamics in response to Sema3A. ..
- Ohkuma Y, Sumimoto H, Hoffmann A, Shimasaki S, Horikoshi M, Roeder R. Structural motifs and potential sigma homologies in the large subunit of human general transcription factor TFIIE. Nature. 1991;354:398-401 pubmed
- Ma Z, Pejovic T, Najfeld V, Ward D, Johnson E. Localization of PURA, the gene encoding the sequence-specific single-stranded-DNA-binding protein Pur alpha, to chromosome band 5q31. Cytogenet Cell Genet. 1995;71:64-7 pubmed..Sequences with homology to the PURA locus are also present at 6q14. The 5q31 locus is frequently deleted in myelogenous leukemia and other cancers. ..
- Waga S, Stillman B. Anatomy of a DNA replication fork revealed by reconstitution of SV40 DNA replication in vitro. Nature. 1994;369:207-12 pubmed..A polymerase switching mechanism requiring replication factor C and the proliferating cell nuclear antigen allows two molecules of DNA polymerase-delta to replicate both strands of the double helix conjointly. ..
- Colgan J, Wampler S, Manley J. Interaction between a transcriptional activator and transcription factor IIB in vivo. Nature. 1993;362:549-53 pubmed..Here we show that the activity of the glutamine-rich fushi tarazu activation domain is indeed blocked by truncated TFIIB derivatives in Drosophila Schneider L2 cells, suggesting that it is mediated by interactions with TFIIB. ..
- Tomic Canic M, Day D, Samuels H, Freedberg I, Blumenberg M. Novel regulation of keratin gene expression by thyroid hormone and retinoid receptors. J Biol Chem. 1996;271:1416-23 pubmed..These findings indicate that the mechanism of regulation of keratin genes by RAR and T3R differs significantly from the mechanisms described for other genes modulated by these receptors. ..
- Kozlowski D, Gagnon M, Marchant J, Reynolds S, Angerer L, Angerer R. Characterization of a SpAN promoter sufficient to mediate correct spatial regulation along the animal-vegetal axis of the sea urchin embryo. Dev Biol. 1996;176:95-107 pubmed..We conclude that the coordinate strong activities of the SpAN and SpHE promoters in the nonvegetal domain of the embryo rely primarily on different transcription factor activities. ..
- Lin E, Kozak C, Orlofsky A, Prystowsky M. The bcl-2 family member, Bcl2a1, maps to mouse chromosome 9 and human chromosome 15. Mamm Genome. 1997;8:293-4 pubmed
- Altmann C, Chow R, Lang R, Hemmati Brivanlou A. Lens induction by Pax-6 in Xenopus laevis. Dev Biol. 1997;185:119-23 pubmed
- Darnell J. STATs and gene regulation. Science. 1997;277:1630-5 pubmed..The discovery of a STAT in Drosophila, and most recently in Dictyostelium discoideum, implies an ancient evolutionary origin for this dual-function set of proteins. ..
- Edelmann W, Yang K, Umar A, Heyer J, Lau K, Fan K, et al. Mutation in the mismatch repair gene Msh6 causes cancer susceptibility. Cell. 1997;91:467-77 pubmed
- O NEILL D, Yang J, Erdjument Bromage H, Bornschlegel K, Tempst P, Bank A. Tissue-specific and developmental stage-specific DNA binding by a mammalian SWI/SNF complex associated with human fetal-to-adult globin gene switching. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1999;96:349-54 pubmed
- Kuroda M, Wang X, Sok J, Yin Y, Chung P, Giannotti J, et al. Induction of a secreted protein by the myxoid liposarcoma oncogene. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1999;96:5025-30 pubmed..TLS-CHOP thus leads to the unscheduled expression of a gene that is normally associated with adipocytic differentiation...
- Lipscomb E, Sarmiere P, Crowder R, Freeman R. Expression of the SM-20 gene promotes death in nerve growth factor-dependent sympathetic neurons. J Neurochem. 1999;73:429-32 pubmed..Importantly, expression of SM-20 in sympathetic neurons causes cell death in the presence of NGF. These results suggest that SM-20 may function to regulate cell death in neurons. ..
- Marians K. PriA-directed replication fork restart in Escherichia coli. Trends Biochem Sci. 2000;25:185-9 pubmed..Recent evidence shows that replication fork restart is effected by the action of the recombination proteins generating a substrate for PriA-directed replication fork assembly. ..
- Lamb T, Xu W, Diamond A, Mitchell A. Alkaline response genes of Saccharomyces cerevisiae and their relationship to the RIM101 pathway. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:1850-6 pubmed..Thus, gene expression surveys can reveal new functions for characterized transcription factors in addition to uncovering physiological responses to environmental conditions. ..
- Melnick A, Carlile G, McConnell M, Polinger A, Hiebert S, Licht J. AML-1/ETO fusion protein is a dominant negative inhibitor of transcriptional repression by the promyelocytic leukemia zinc finger protein. Blood. 2000;96:3939-47 pubmed..Finally, ETO interacted with PLZF/RAR alpha and enhanced its ability to repress through the RARE. These data show a link in the transcriptional pathways of M2 and M3 leukemia. (Blood. 2000;96:3939-3947) ..
- Fortin G, Symington L. Mutations in yeast Rad51 that partially bypass the requirement for Rad55 and Rad57 in DNA repair by increasing the stability of Rad51-DNA complexes. EMBO J. 2002;21:3160-70 pubmed
- Escalante C, Shen L, Escalante M, Brass A, Edwards T, Singh H, et al. Crystallization and characterization of PU.1/IRF-4/DNA ternary complex. J Struct Biol. 2002;139:55-9 pubmed
- Anantharam A, Lewis A, Panaghie G, Gordon E, McCrossan Z, Lerner D, et al. RNA interference reveals that endogenous Xenopus MinK-related peptides govern mammalian K+ channel function in oocyte expression studies. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:11739-45 pubmed
- Toker A, Teng Y, Ferreira H, Emmons S, Chalfie M. The Caenorhabditis elegans spalt-like gene sem-4 restricts touch cell fate by repressing the selector Hox gene egl-5 and the effector gene mec-3. Development. 2003;130:3831-40 pubmed
- Xu L, Alarcon C, Cöl S, Massague J. Distinct domain utilization by Smad3 and Smad4 for nucleoporin interaction and nuclear import. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:42569-77 pubmed
- Liu D, Biswas S, Greene L. B-myb and C-myb play required roles in neuronal apoptosis evoked by nerve growth factor deprivation and DNA damage. J Neurosci. 2004;24:8720-5 pubmed..There is also significant protection from death induced by direct E2F-dependent gene de-repression. Our findings thus establish required roles for B- and C-myb in neuronal apoptosis. ..
- Blais A, Tsikitis M, Acosta Alvear D, Sharan R, Kluger Y, Dynlacht B. An initial blueprint for myogenic differentiation. Genes Dev. 2005;19:553-69 pubmed..Our studies suggest unanticipated biological insights into muscle development and highlight new directions for further studies of genes involved in muscle repair and responses to stress and damage. ..
- Cattoretti G, Pasqualucci L, Ballon G, Tam W, Nandula S, Shen Q, et al. Deregulated BCL6 expression recapitulates the pathogenesis of human diffuse large B cell lymphomas in mice. Cancer Cell. 2005;7:445-55 pubmed..These results define the oncogenic role of BCL6 in the pathogenesis of DLBCL and provide a faithful mouse model of this common disease. ..
- Chung E, Liu J, Homma Y, Zhang Y, Brendolan A, Saggese M, et al. Interleukin-10 expression in macrophages during phagocytosis of apoptotic cells is mediated by homeodomain proteins Pbx1 and Prep-1. Immunity. 2007;27:952-64 pubmed..This study establishes a role of two developmentally critical factors (Pbx1 and Prep-1) in the regulation of homeostasis in the immune system. ..
- Cerchietti L, Lopes E, Yang S, Hatzi K, Bunting K, Tsikitas L, et al. A purine scaffold Hsp90 inhibitor destabilizes BCL-6 and has specific antitumor activity in BCL-6-dependent B cell lymphomas. Nat Med. 2009;15:1369-76 pubmed publisher..PU-H71 also induced cell death in primary human DLBCL specimens. ..
- Gaur N, Oppenheim J, Smith I. The Bacillus subtilis sin gene, a regulator of alternate developmental processes, codes for a DNA-binding protein. J Bacteriol. 1991;173:678-86 pubmed..An analysis of the predicted amino acid sequence of Sin revealed a potential leucine zipper protein dimerization motif which is flanked by two helix-turn-helix motifs that could be involved in recognizing two different dyad symmetries. ..
- Fathallah Shaykh H, Wolf S, Wong E, Posner J, Furneaux H. Cloning of a leucine-zipper protein recognized by the sera of patients with antibody-associated paraneoplastic cerebellar degeneration. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1991;88:3451-4 pubmed..The occurrence of leucine-zipper and zinc-finger motifs in the predicted open reading frame suggests that this protein plays a role in the regulation of gene expression. ..
- Gregor P, Sawadogo M, Roeder R. The adenovirus major late transcription factor USF is a member of the helix-loop-helix group of regulatory proteins and binds to DNA as a dimer. Genes Dev. 1990;4:1730-40 pubmed..The structure of different cDNA clones indicates that USF RNA is differentially spliced, and alternative exon usage may regulate the levels of functional USF protein. ..
- Xanthopoulos K, Mirkovitch J, Friedman J, Darnell J. The mouse Cebp gene encoding a DNA-binding protein is polymorphic and is located on chromosome 7. Cytogenet Cell Genet. 1989;50:174-5 pubmed
- Raz R, Durbin J, Levy D. Acute phase response factor and additional members of the interferon-stimulated gene factor 3 family integrate diverse signals from cytokines, interferons, and growth factors. J Biol Chem. 1994;269:24391-5 pubmed..Activation of APRF, p91, and additional members of the ISGF3 family is thus a general feature of a wide variety of signaling pathways, integrating diverse signals through common transcriptional regulators. ..
- Grundy F, Waters D, Allen S, Henkin T. Regulation of the Bacillus subtilis acetate kinase gene by CcpA. J Bacteriol. 1993;175:7348-55 pubmed..Two sequences resembling the amyO operator site were identified upstream of the ackA promoter; removal of this region resulted in loss of glucose activation of ackA expression. ..
- Ng J, Marians K. The ordered assembly of the phiX174-type primosome. I. Isolation and identification of intermediate protein-DNA complexes. J Biol Chem. 1996;271:15642-8 pubmed..As described in an accompanying article (Ng, J. Y., and Marians, K. J. (1996) J. Biol. Chem. 271, 15649-15655), when assembled on intact phiX174 phage DNA, the primosome also contains PriC. ..
- Donovan G, Harden C, Gal J, Ho L, Sibille E, Trifiletti R, et al. Sensitivity to jerky gene dosage underlies epileptic seizures in mice. J Neurosci. 1997;17:4562-9 pubmed
- Escalante C, Yie J, Thanos D, Aggarwal A. Structure of IRF-1 with bound DNA reveals determinants of interferon regulation. Nature. 1998;391:103-6 pubmed..Together, these features suggest a basis for the occurrence of GAAA repeats within IRF response elements and provide clues to the assembly of the higher-order interferon-beta enhancesome. ..
- Dworkin J, Ninfa A, Model P. A protein-induced DNA bend increases the specificity of a prokaryotic enhancer-binding protein. Genes Dev. 1998;12:894-900 pubmed..These opposite effects have the consequence of increasing the specificity of activation of a promoter that is susceptible to regulation by proteins bound to a distal site. ..
- Xu X, Yin Z, Hudson J, Ferguson E, Frasch M. Smad proteins act in combination with synergistic and antagonistic regulators to target Dpp responses to the Drosophila mesoderm. Genes Dev. 1998;12:2354-70 pubmed..Thus, integration of positive and negative regulators on enhancers of target genes appears to be an important mechanism in tissue-specific induction by TGF-beta molecules. ..
- McCaffrey T, Fu C, Du B, Eksinar S, Kent K, Bush H, et al. High-level expression of Egr-1 and Egr-1-inducible genes in mouse and human atherosclerosis. J Clin Invest. 2000;105:653-62 pubmed..Thus, induction of Egr-1 by atherogenic factors may be a key step in coordinating the cellular events that result in vascular lesions. ..
- Zhang W, Kadam S, Emerson B, Bieker J. Site-specific acetylation by p300 or CREB binding protein regulates erythroid Krüppel-like factor transcriptional activity via its interaction with the SWI-SNF complex. Mol Cell Biol. 2001;21:2413-22 pubmed
- Papatsenko D, Makeev V, Lifanov A, Regnier M, Nazina A, Desplan C. Extraction of functional binding sites from unique regulatory regions: the Drosophila early developmental enhancers. Genome Res. 2002;12:470-81 pubmed..We also discuss the definition of true binding sites and the possible biological principles that govern patterning of regulatory regions and the distribution of transcriptional signals. ..
- Banerjee D, Mayer Kuckuk P, Capiaux G, Budak Alpdogan T, Gorlick R, Bertino J. Novel aspects of resistance to drugs targeted to dihydrofolate reductase and thymidylate synthase. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2002;1587:164-73 pubmed
- Lo P, Skeath J, Gajewski K, Schulz R, Frasch M. Homeotic genes autonomously specify the anteroposterior subdivision of the Drosophila dorsal vessel into aorta and heart. Dev Biol. 2002;251:307-19 pubmed
- Losada A, Hirano M, Hirano T. Cohesin release is required for sister chromatid resolution, but not for condensin-mediated compaction, at the onset of mitosis. Genes Dev. 2002;16:3004-16 pubmed..More importantly, our results strongly suggest that cohesin release at the onset of mitosis is essential for sister chromatid resolution but not for condensin-mediated compaction. ..
- Gaidano G, Pasqualucci L, Capello D, Berra E, Deambrogi C, Rossi D, et al. Aberrant somatic hypermutation in multiple subtypes of AIDS-associated non-Hodgkin lymphoma. Blood. 2003;102:1833-41 pubmed..These data indicate that aberrant hypermutation is associated with various subtypes of AIDS-NHL and may represent a major contributor to their pathogenesis. ..
- Ueki N, Hayman M. Direct interaction of Ski with either Smad3 or Smad4 is necessary and sufficient for Ski-mediated repression of transforming growth factor-beta signaling. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:32489-92 pubmed
- Kim S, Choi S, Chao W, Volsky D. Transcriptional regulation of human excitatory amino acid transporter 1 (EAAT1): cloning of the EAAT1 promoter and characterization of its basal and inducible activity in human astrocytes. J Neurochem. 2003;87:1485-98 pubmed..Conversely, tumor necrosis factor-alpha reduced both EAAT promoter activity and cellular EAAT1 mRNA expression. These results enable studies of transcriptional regulation of EAAT1 gene at the promoter level. ..
- Lee G, Neiditch M, Salus S, Roth D. RAG proteins shepherd double-strand breaks to a specific pathway, suppressing error-prone repair, but RAG nicking initiates homologous recombination. Cell. 2004;117:171-84 pubmed..We also find that RAG-mediated nicks efficiently stimulate homologous recombination and discuss the implications of these findings for oncogenic chromosomal rearrangements, evolution, and gene targeting. ..