Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on collagen in California, United States
Locale: California, United States
- Languino L, Gehlsen K, Wayner E, Carter W, Engvall E, Ruoslahti E. Endothelial cells use alpha 2 beta 1 integrin as a laminin receptor. J Cell Biol. 1989;109:2455-62 pubmed
- Smith R, Schurman D, Kajiyama G, Mell M, Gilkerson E. The effect of antibiotics on the destruction of cartilage in experimental infectious arthritis. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1987;69:1063-8 pubmed..The results emphasize the need for early diagnosis and treatment of infectious synovitis and support the rationale for early administration of antibiotics without waiting for identification of the responsible bacteria. ..
- Narsinh K, Sun N, Sanchez Freire V, Lee A, Almeida P, Hu S, et al. Single cell transcriptional profiling reveals heterogeneity of human induced pluripotent stem cells. J Clin Invest. 2011;121:1217-21 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that caution should be exercised before assuming that hiPSCs occupy a pluripotent state equivalent to that of hESCs, particularly when producing differentiated cells for regenerative medicine aims. ..
- Ruidiaz M, Cortes Mateos M, Sandoval S, Martin D, Wang Rodriguez J, Hasteh F, et al. Quantitative comparison of surgical margin histology following excision with traditional electrosurgery and a low-thermal-injury dissection device. J Surg Oncol. 2011;104:746-54 pubmed publisher..The methodology of this work may be readily applied to larger, more definitive studies. ..
- Chen B, Wen Y, Yu X, Polan M. Relaxin increases elastase activity and protease inhibitors in smooth muscle cells from the myometrium compared with cells from leiomyomas. Fertil Steril. 2009;91:1351-4 pubmed publisher..Relaxin increases elastase activity and protease inhibitor expressions in myometrial smooth muscle cells, but no effect was observed in leiomyoma cells. ..
- Kong W, Li S, Longaker M, Lorenz H. Cyclophilin C-associated protein is up-regulated during wound healing. J Cell Physiol. 2007;210:153-60 pubmed..Our data indicates that CyCAP is regulated by IFNgamma and may function on immune defense in macrophages, lymphocytes, dermal fibroblasts and keratinocytes during wound healing. ..
- Shadwick R, Russell A, Lauff R. The structure and mechanical design of rhinoceros dermal armour. Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci. 1992;337:419-28 pubmed
- Lu D, Insel P. Hydrolysis of extracellular ATP by ectonucleoside triphosphate diphosphohydrolase (ENTPD) establishes the set point for fibrotic activity of cardiac fibroblasts. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:19040-9 pubmed publisher..These findings also imply that cellular homeostasis and fibrotic response involve the integration of signaling that is pro-fibrotic by ATP and anti-fibrotic by adenosine and that is regulated by ENTPDs. ..
- Jin L, Pahuja K, Wickliffe K, Gorur A, Baumgärtel C, Schekman R, et al. Ubiquitin-dependent regulation of COPII coat size and function. Nature. 2012;482:495-500 pubmed publisher..As a result, ubiquitylation by CUL3-KLHL12 is essential for collagen export, yet less important for the transport of small cargo. We conclude that monoubiquitylation controls the size and function of a vesicle coat. ..
- Kutschka I, Chen I, Kofidis T, Arai T, von Degenfeld G, Sheikh A, et al. Collagen matrices enhance survival of transplanted cardiomyoblasts and contribute to functional improvement of ischemic rat hearts. Circulation. 2006;114:I167-73 pubmed..Further optimization of the graft design should make restoration of large myocardial infarctions by tissue engineering approaches effective. ..
- Garcia R, Brown K, Pavelec R, Go K, Covell J, Villarreal F. Abnormal cardiac wall motion and early matrix metalloproteinase activity. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2005;288:H1080-7 pubmed..Results indicate that regional dyskinesis induced by epicardial activation is sufficient to stimulate significant MMP activity in the heart, suggesting that abnormal wall motion is a stimulus for MMP activation. ..
- Ishida T, Kundu R, Yang E, Hirata K, Ho Y, Quertermous T. Targeted disruption of endothelial cell-selective adhesion molecule inhibits angiogenic processes in vitro and in vivo. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:34598-604 pubmed..These in vitro and in vivo studies suggest that ESAM has a redundant functional role in physiological angiogenesis but serves a unique and essential role in pathological angiogenic processes such as tumor growth. ..
- Feng L, Xia Y, Wilson C. Alternative splicing of the NC1 domain of the human alpha 3(IV) collagen gene. Differential expression of mRNA transcripts that predict three protein variants with distinct carboxyl regions. J Biol Chem. 1994;269:2342-8 pubmed..The multiple forms of the alpha 3(IV) NC1 region may contribute to autoimmune glomerular disease and hereditary nephritis, in which this portion of the collagen IV molecule is thought to play an important role. ..
- Qian F, Vaux D, Weissman I. Expression of the integrin alpha 4 beta 1 on melanoma cells can inhibit the invasive stage of metastasis formation. Cell. 1994;77:335-47 pubmed..These results suggest that integrin alpha 4 beta 1 could play a role in controlling melanoma cell metastasis at the invasive stage. ..
- Buganza Tepole A, Kuhl E. Systems-based approaches toward wound healing. Pediatr Res. 2013;73:553-63 pubmed publisher..A better mechanistic understanding of wound healing in the pediatric patient could open new avenues in treating children with skin disorders such as birth defects, skin cancer, wounds, and burn injuries. ..
- Chang E, Carlson G, Vose J, Huang E, Yang G. Comparative healing of rat fascia following incision with three surgical instruments. J Surg Res. 2011;167:e47-54 pubmed publisher..The early improved strength of wounds made with this device is of particular interest, as wound dehiscence is of greatest concern early in the healing process. ..
- Chin G, Lee S, Hsu M, Liu W, Kim W, Levinson H, et al. Discoidin domain receptors and their ligand, collagen, are temporally regulated in fetal rat fibroblasts in vitro. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2001;107:769-76 pubmed..Future studies will involve the characterization of the biomolecular functions of these receptor kinases during fetal wound repair. ..
- Nauta A, Grova M, Montoro D, Zimmermann A, Tsai M, Gurtner G, et al. Evidence that mast cells are not required for healing of splinted cutaneous excisional wounds in mice. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e59167 pubmed publisher..These data indicate that mast cells do not play a significant non-redundant role in these features of the healing of splinted full thickness excisional cutaneous wounds in mice. ..
- Chavali V, Sommer J, Petters R, Ayyagari R. Identification of a promoter for the human C1Q-tumor necrosis factor-related protein-5 gene associated with late-onset retinal degeneration. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2010;51:5499-507 pubmed publisher..In addition, these studies will determine whether CTRP5 and MFRP are functionally dicistronic. ..
- Ehrlich J, Manche E. Regression of effect over long-term follow-up of conductive keratoplasty to correct mild to moderate hyperopia. J Cataract Refract Surg. 2009;35:1591-6 pubmed publisher..To evaluate the long-term efficacy and stability of conductive keratoplasty (CK) for low to moderate hyperopia...
- Yamanishi Y, Boyle D, Pinkoski M, Mahboubi A, Lin T, Han Z, et al. Regulation of joint destruction and inflammation by p53 in collagen-induced arthritis. Am J Pathol. 2002;160:123-30 pubmed
- Tillet E, Ruggiero F, Nishiyama A, Stallcup W. The membrane-spanning proteoglycan NG2 binds to collagens V and VI through the central nonglobular domain of its core protein. J Biol Chem. 1997;272:10769-76 pubmed
- Ge B, Xiong X, Jing Q, Mosley J, Filose A, Bian D, et al. TAB1beta (transforming growth factor-beta-activated protein kinase 1-binding protein 1beta ), a novel splicing variant of TAB1 that interacts with p38alpha but not TAK1. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:2286-93 pubmed
- Fong K, Trindade M, Wang Z, Nacamuli R, Pham H, Fang T, et al. Microarray analysis of mechanical shear effects on flexor tendon cells. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2005;116:1393-404; discussion 1405-6 pubmed
- Rhodes K, Rippe R, Umezawa A, Nehls M, Brenner D, Breindl M. DNA methylation represses the murine alpha 1(I) collagen promoter by an indirect mechanism. Mol Cell Biol. 1994;14:5950-60 pubmed
- Furumatsu T, Tsuda M, Yoshida K, Taniguchi N, Ito T, Hashimoto M, et al. Sox9 and p300 cooperatively regulate chromatin-mediated transcription. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:35203-8 pubmed..These findings suggest that Sox9 interacts with chromatin and activates transcription via regulation of chromatin modification. ..
- Burg M, Tillet E, Timpl R, Stallcup W. Binding of the NG2 proteoglycan to type VI collagen and other extracellular matrix molecules. J Biol Chem. 1996;271:26110-6 pubmed
- Cho S, Klemke R. Extracellular-regulated kinase activation and CAS/Crk coupling regulate cell migration and suppress apoptosis during invasion of the extracellular matrix. J Cell Biol. 2000;149:223-36 pubmed..These findings provide molecular evidence that during invasion of the extracellular matrix, cells coordinately regulate migration and survival mechanisms through ERK activation and CAS/Crk coupling. ..
- Henriet P, Zhong Z, Brooks P, Weinberg K, DeClerck Y. Contact with fibrillar collagen inhibits melanoma cell proliferation by up-regulating p27KIP1. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2000;97:10026-31 pubmed..Thus melanoma cells remain sensitive to negative growth regulatory signals originating from fibrillar collagen, and the proteolytic degradation of fibrils is a mechanism allowing tumor cells to escape these restrictive signals. ..
- Zijlstra A, Aimes R, Zhu D, Regazzoni K, Kupriyanova T, Seandel M, et al. Collagenolysis-dependent angiogenesis mediated by matrix metalloproteinase-13 (collagenase-3). J Biol Chem. 2004;279:27633-45 pubmed..Altogether, the results of this study extend the physiological role of MMP-13, previously associated with cartilage/bone resorption, to the collagen remodeling involved in the angiogenic cascade. ..
- Nauta A, Seidel C, Deveza L, Montoro D, Grova M, Ko S, et al. Adipose-derived stromal cells overexpressing vascular endothelial growth factor accelerate mouse excisional wound healing. Mol Ther. 2013;21:445-55 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate the efficacy of using nonviral-engineered ASCs to accelerate wound healing, which may provide an alternative therapy for treating many diseases in which wound healing is impaired...
- Bristow J, Reno T, Jo M, Gonias S, Klemke R. Dynamic phosphorylation of tyrosine 665 in pseudopodium-enriched atypical kinase 1 (PEAK1) is essential for the regulation of cell migration and focal adhesion turnover. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:123-31 pubmed publisher..Finally, we provide evidence that PEAK1 promotes cancer cell invasion through Matrigel by a mechanism that requires dynamic regulation of Tyr-665 phosphorylation. ..
- Nishiyama A, Stallcup W. Expression of NG2 proteoglycan causes retention of type VI collagen on the cell surface. Mol Biol Cell. 1993;4:1097-108 pubmed..These findings indicate that NG2 functions as a cell surface receptor for type VI collagen and may play a role in modulating the assembly of pericellular matrix. ..
- Maegdefessel L, Azuma J, Toh R, Merk D, Deng A, Chin J, et al. Inhibition of microRNA-29b reduces murine abdominal aortic aneurysm development. J Clin Invest. 2012;122:497-506 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that therapeutic manipulation of miR-29b and its target genes holds promise for limiting AAA disease progression and protecting from rupture. ..
- Chen B, Yeh J. Alterations in connective tissue metabolism in stress incontinence and prolapse. J Urol. 2011;186:1768-72 pubmed publisher..We also explored the influence of genetics and reproductive hormones on extracellular matrix metabolism...
- Cowden J, Riley J, Ma J, Thurmond R, Dunford P. Histamine H4 receptor antagonism diminishes existing airway inflammation and dysfunction via modulation of Th2 cytokines. Respir Res. 2010;11:86 pubmed publisher..The ability of H4R antagonists to affect these key manifestations of asthma suggests their potential as novel human therapeutics. ..
- Stallcup W, Dahlin K, Healy P. Interaction of the NG2 chondroitin sulfate proteoglycan with type VI collagen. J Cell Biol. 1990;111:3177-88 pubmed..Our results suggest that cell surface NG2 may mediate cellular interactions with the extracellular matrix by binding to type VI collagen. ..
- Deryugina E, Soroceanu L, Strongin A. Up-regulation of vascular endothelial growth factor by membrane-type 1 matrix metalloproteinase stimulates human glioma xenograft growth and angiogenesis. Cancer Res. 2002;62:580-8 pubmed..Our results demonstrate that the enhanced tumorigenicity of glioma cells overexpressing MT1-MMP involves stimulation of angiogenesis through the up-regulation of VEGF production. ..
- Kutschka I, Chen I, Kofidis T, von Degenfeld G, Sheikh A, Hendry S, et al. In vivo optical bioluminescence imaging of collagen-supported cardiac cell grafts. J Heart Lung Transplant. 2007;26:273-80 pubmed..Optical bioluminescence is a powerful method for assessment of cardiac cell graft survival in vivo. Collagen matrices support early survival of cardiomyoblasts after transplantation into injured musculature. ..