Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on caenorhabditis elegans proteins in New York, United States
Locale: New York, United States
Topic: caenorhabditis elegans proteins
Publications252 found, 100 shown here
- Wen C, Metzstein M, Greenwald I. SUP-17, a Caenorhabditis elegans ADAM protein related to Drosophila KUZBANIAN, and its role in LIN-12/NOTCH signalling. Development. 1997;124:4759-67 pubmed..We discuss the implications of our observations for LIN-12/NOTCH signalling and how our results complement and extend results obtained from genetic analysis of kuz in Drosophila. ..
- Zhang Y, Grant B, Hirsh D. RME-8, a conserved J-domain protein, is required for endocytosis in Caenorhabditis elegans. Mol Biol Cell. 2001;12:2011-21 pubmed..RME-8 homologues are found in multicellular organisms from plants to humans but not in the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae. These sequence homologies suggest that RME-8 fulfills a conserved function in multicellular organisms. ..
- Runko E, Kaprielian Z. Caenorhabditis elegans VEM-1, a novel membrane protein, regulates the guidance of ventral nerve cord-associated axons. J Neurosci. 2004;24:9015-26 pubmed..Consistent with these genetic data, we also show that VEM-1 is capable of physically interacting with UNC-40 but not SAX-3. ..
- Feinberg E, VanHoven M, Bendesky A, Wang G, Fetter R, Shen K, et al. GFP Reconstitution Across Synaptic Partners (GRASP) defines cell contacts and synapses in living nervous systems. Neuron. 2008;57:353-63 pubmed publisher..GRASP may prove particularly useful for defining connectivity in complex nervous systems. ..
- Doitsidou M, Flames N, Topalidou I, Abe N, Felton T, Remesal L, et al. A combinatorial regulatory signature controls terminal differentiation of the dopaminergic nervous system in C. elegans. Genes Dev. 2013;27:1391-405 pubmed publisher..Dopaminergic neurons in the mouse olfactory bulb express a similar combinatorial transcription factor collective of Ets/Dlx/Pbx factors, suggesting deep phylogenetic conservation of dopaminergic regulatory programs. ..
- Hashmi S, Ji Q, Zhang J, Parhar R, Huang C, Brey C, et al. A Krüppel-like factor in Caenorhabditis elegans with essential roles in fat regulation, cell death, and phagocytosis. DNA Cell Biol. 2008;27:545-51 pubmed publisher..elegans Krüppel-like transcription factors together with their interactions and pathway activities with other molecular partners should yield significant insights into mammalian KLF proteins. ..
- Gartner A, Milstein S, Ahmed S, Hodgkin J, Hengartner M. A conserved checkpoint pathway mediates DNA damage--induced apoptosis and cell cycle arrest in C. elegans. Mol Cell. 2000;5:435-43 pubmed..elegans homolog of the S. pombe rad1 checkpoint gene, rad-5, and him-7-block both DNA damage-induced apoptosis and cell proliferation arrest. Our results implicate rad1 homologs in DNA damage-induced apoptosis in animals. ..
- Jarriault S, Greenwald I. Suppressors of the egg-laying defective phenotype of sel-12 presenilin mutants implicate the CoREST corepressor complex in LIN-12/Notch signaling in C. elegans. Genes Dev. 2002;16:2713-28 pubmed
- Clark S, Chiu C. C. elegans ZAG-1, a Zn-finger-homeodomain protein, regulates axonal development and neuronal differentiation. Development. 2003;130:3781-94 pubmed..We propose that ZAG-1 acts as a transcriptional repressor to regulate multiple, discrete, neuron-specific aspects of terminal differentiation, including cell migration, axonal development and gene expression. ..
- Chuang C, Bargmann C. A Toll-interleukin 1 repeat protein at the synapse specifies asymmetric odorant receptor expression via ASK1 MAPKKK signaling. Genes Dev. 2005;19:270-81 pubmed..TIR-1 and other TIR proteins are implicated in vertebrate and invertebrate innate immunity, as are NSY-1/ASK1 kinases, so this pathway may also have a conserved function in immune signaling. ..
- Ji Q, Huang C, Peng J, Hashmi S, Ye T, Chen Y. Characterization of STIP, a multi-domain nuclear protein, highly conserved in metazoans, and essential for embryogenesis in Caenorhabditis elegans. Exp Cell Res. 2007;313:1460-72 pubmed publisher..Our data provide the first direct evidence that STIP have a conserved essential nuclear function across metazoans from worms to humans...
- Shi S, Buck T, Kinlough C, Marciszyn A, Hughey R, Chalfie M, et al. Regulation of the epithelial Na+ channel by paraoxonase-2. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:15927-15938 pubmed publisher..Together, our data suggest that PON-2 regulates ENaC activity by modulating its intracellular trafficking and surface expression. ..
- Urano F, Calfon M, Yoneda T, Yun C, Kiraly M, Clark S, et al. A survival pathway for Caenorhabditis elegans with a blocked unfolded protein response. J Cell Biol. 2002;158:639-46 pubmed
- Zhou Z, Zhen J, Karpowich N, Goetz R, Law C, Reith M, et al. LeuT-desipramine structure reveals how antidepressants block neurotransmitter reuptake. Science. 2007;317:1390-3 pubmed publisher..Mutagenesis experiments on human SERT and DAT indicate that both the desipramine-binding site and its inhibition mechanism are probably conserved in the human neurotransmitter transporters...
- Oikonomou G, Perens E, Lu Y, Watanabe S, Jorgensen E, Shaham S. Opposing activities of LIT-1/NLK and DAF-6/patched-related direct sensory compartment morphogenesis in C. elegans. PLoS Biol. 2011;9:e1001121 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that the opposing daf-6 and lit-1 glial pathways act together to control sensory compartment size. ..
- Sacktor T, Schwartz J. Sensitizing stimuli cause translocation of protein kinase C in Aplysia sensory neurons. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1990;87:2036-9 pubmed
- Adler C, Fetter R, Bargmann C. UNC-6/Netrin induces neuronal asymmetry and defines the site of axon formation. Nat Neurosci. 2006;9:511-8 pubmed..The coupling of a directional netrin cue to sustained asymmetric growth via PI3K signaling is reminiscent of polarization in chemotaxing cells. ..
- Voutev R, Hubbard E. A "FLP-Out" system for controlled gene expression in Caenorhabditis elegans. Genetics. 2008;180:103-19 pubmed publisher..Finally, we introduce a set of traditional and Gateway-compatible vectors to facilitate construction of plasmids for this technology using any promoter, reporter, and gene/hairpin of interest. ..
- Moussaif M, Sze J. Intraflagellar transport/Hedgehog-related signaling components couple sensory cilium morphology and serotonin biosynthesis in Caenorhabditis elegans. J Neurosci. 2009;29:4065-75 pubmed publisher..elegans under stress and stress recovery...
- Chang C, Adler C, Krause M, Clark S, Gertler F, Tessier Lavigne M, et al. MIG-10/lamellipodin and AGE-1/PI3K promote axon guidance and outgrowth in response to slit and netrin. Curr Biol. 2006;16:854-62 pubmed..mig-10 and age-1 lipid signaling promote axon outgrowth; unc-34 and to a lesser extent mig-10 promote filopodia formation. Surprisingly, filopodia are largely dispensable for accurate axon guidance. ..
- Flames N, Hobert O. Gene regulatory logic of dopamine neuron differentiation. Nature. 2009;458:885-9 pubmed publisher..Our studies reveal a simple and apparently conserved regulatory logic of dopamine neuron terminal differentiation and may provide new entry points into the diagnosis or therapy of conditions in which dopamine neurons are defective. ..
- Yoo A, Bais C, Greenwald I. Crosstalk between the EGFR and LIN-12/Notch pathways in C. elegans vulval development. Science. 2004;303:663-6 pubmed..Subsequently, this effect is counteracted by the expression of multiple new negative regulators of the EGFR-MAPK pathway, under direct transcriptional control of the LIN-12-mediated lateral signal. ..
- Didiano D, Cochella L, Tursun B, Hobert O. Neuron-type specific regulation of a 3'UTR through redundant and combinatorially acting cis-regulatory elements. RNA. 2010;16:349-63 pubmed publisher..The features of 3'UTR regulation we describe here may apply to some of the vast number of genes in animal genomes whose expression is predicted to be regulated through their 3'UTR. ..
- Chen J, Li X, Greenwald I. sel-7, a positive regulator of lin-12 activity, encodes a novel nuclear protein in Caenorhabditis elegans. Genetics. 2004;166:151-60 pubmed..8, that also interacts with SEL-8, a known component of the nuclear complex that forms upon LIN-12 activation. Our data suggest potential roles for SEL-7 in the assembly or function of this nuclear complex. ..
- Nargund A, Pellegrino M, Fiorese C, Baker B, Haynes C. Mitochondrial import efficiency of ATFS-1 regulates mitochondrial UPR activation. Science. 2012;337:587-90 pubmed publisher..Our results show that cells monitor mitochondrial import efficiency via ATFS-1 to coordinate the level of mitochondrial dysfunction with the protective transcriptional response. ..
- Zhang F, Bhattacharya A, Nelson J, Abe N, Gordon P, Lloret Fernández C, et al. The LIM and POU homeobox genes ttx-3 and unc-86 act as terminal selectors in distinct cholinergic and serotonergic neuron types. Development. 2014;141:422-35 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, transcription factors operate as terminal selectors in distinct combinations in different neuron types, defining neuron type-specific identity features...
- Wang Y, Levy D. C. elegans STAT cooperates with DAF-7/TGF-beta signaling to repress dauer formation. Curr Biol. 2006;16:89-94 pubmed..These results highlight a role for activated STAT proteins in repression of dauer formation. They also raise the possibility of an unexpected function for DAF-1 and DAF-8 that is independent of their normal upstream activator, DAF-7. ..
- Kinet M, Malin J, Abraham M, Blum E, Silverman M, Lu Y, et al. HSF-1 activates the ubiquitin proteasome system to promote non-apoptotic developmental cell death in C. elegans. elife. 2016;5: pubmed publisher..Our studies uncover design similarities between LCD and developmental apoptosis, and provide testable predictions for analyzing LCD in vertebrates. ..
- Berry K, Bülow H, Hall D, Hobert O. A C. elegans CLIC-like protein required for intracellular tube formation and maintenance. Science. 2003;302:2134-7 pubmed..A conserved 55-amino acid domain enables EXC-4 translocation from the cytosol to the lumenal membrane. The tubular architecture of this membrane requires EXC-4 for both its formation and maintenance. ..
- Kinchen J, Cabello J, Klingele D, Wong K, Feichtinger R, Schnabel H, et al. Two pathways converge at CED-10 to mediate actin rearrangement and corpse removal in C. elegans. Nature. 2005;434:93-9 pubmed
- Villanueva A, Lozano J, Morales A, Lin X, Deng X, Hengartner M, et al. jkk-1 and mek-1 regulate body movement coordination and response to heavy metals through jnk-1 in Caenorhabditis elegans. EMBO J. 2001;20:5114-28 pubmed..Our results delineate at least two different JNK pathways through jkk-1 and mek-1 in C.elegans, and define interaction between MKK7, but not MKK4, and JNK. ..
- Ewald C, Cheng R, Tolen L, Shah V, Gillani A, Nasrin A, et al. Pan-neuronal expression of APL-1, an APP-related protein, disrupts olfactory, gustatory, and touch plasticity in Caenorhabditis elegans. J Neurosci. 2012;32:10156-69 pubmed publisher..These results suggest pathways and molecular components that may underlie behavioral plasticity in mammals and in patients with Alzheimer's disease. ..
- Wang Y, Levy D. C. elegans STAT: evolution of a regulatory switch. FASEB J. 2006;20:1641-52 pubmed..Our results shed new light on the evolution and function of the STAT signaling pathway and on the structural requirements for STAT activation. ..
- Jehle A, Gardai S, Li S, Linsel Nitschke P, Morimoto K, Janssen W, et al. ATP-binding cassette transporter A7 enhances phagocytosis of apoptotic cells and associated ERK signaling in macrophages. J Cell Biol. 2006;174:547-56 pubmed..These studies reveal a major role of ABCA7 and not -A1 in the clearance of apoptotic cells and therefore suggest that ABCA7 is an authentic orthologue of CED-7...
- Doitsidou M, Poole R, Sarin S, Bigelow H, Hobert O. C. elegans mutant identification with a one-step whole-genome-sequencing and SNP mapping strategy. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e15435 pubmed publisher..We find that the molecular lesion resides in the Pax-6/Eyeless ortholog vab-3. The strategy described here will further reduce the time between mutant isolation and identification of the molecular lesion. ..
- Lipton J. Mating worms and the cystic kidney: Caenorhabditis elegans as a model for renal disease. Pediatr Nephrol. 2005;20:1531-6 pubmed..C. elegans has also been used to identify a gene family which may have significance for understanding the formation and maintenance of renal tubules. ..
- O Meara M, Bigelow H, Flibotte S, Etchberger J, Moerman D, Hobert O. Cis-regulatory mutations in the Caenorhabditis elegans homeobox gene locus cog-1 affect neuronal development. Genetics. 2009;181:1679-86 pubmed publisher..The multiplicity of cis-regulatory elements may ensure the robustness of gene expression. ..
- Aurelio O, Boulin T, Hobert O. Identification of spatial and temporal cues that regulate postembryonic expression of axon maintenance factors in the C. elegans ventral nerve cord. Development. 2003;130:599-610 pubmed..Our findings illustrate the importance of spatial and temporal control of gene expression in the nervous system and, furthermore, implicate heterochronic genes in postmitotic neural patterning events. ..
- Chiorazzi M, Rui L, Yang Y, Ceribelli M, Tishbi N, Maurer C, et al. Related F-box proteins control cell death in Caenorhabditis elegans and human lymphoma. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:3943-8 pubmed publisher..Moreover, some human diffuse large B-cell lymphomas have inactivating mutations in FBXO10 or express FBXO10 at low levels. Our results suggest that DRE-1/FBXO10 is a conserved regulator of apoptosis...
- Macosko E, Pokala N, Feinberg E, Chalasani S, Butcher R, Clardy J, et al. A hub-and-spoke circuit drives pheromone attraction and social behaviour in C. elegans. Nature. 2009;458:1171-5 pubmed publisher..The coordination of social behaviours by RMG suggests an anatomical hub-and-spoke model for sensory integration in aggregation, and points to functions for related circuit motifs in the C. elegans wiring diagram. ..
- Srivastava S, Li Z, Lin L, Liu G, Ko K, Coetzee W, et al. The phosphatidylinositol 3-phosphate phosphatase myotubularin- related protein 6 (MTMR6) is a negative regulator of the Ca2+-activated K+ channel KCa3.1. Mol Cell Biol. 2005;25:3630-8 pubmed..1 channel activity but also raise the possibility that MTMs play important roles in the negative regulation of T cells and in conditions associated with pathological cell proliferation, such as cancer and atherosclerosis. ..
- Kullyev A, Dempsey C, Miller S, Kuan C, Hapiak V, Komuniecki R, et al. A genetic survey of fluoxetine action on synaptic transmission in Caenorhabditis elegans. Genetics. 2010;186:929-41 pubmed publisher..Epistatic analyses suggest that SER-7 and SER-5 act upstream of AMPA receptor GLR-1 signaling. Our work provides genetic evidence that fluoxetine may influence neuronal functions and behavior by directly targeting serotonin receptors. ..
- Grishok A. Biology and Mechanisms of Short RNAs in Caenorhabditis elegans. Adv Genet. 2013;83:1-69 pubmed publisher..elegans and describes recent advances in genetic, genomic, and molecular analyses of nematode's short RNAs and proteins involved in the RNAi-related pathways. ..
- Pekar O, Ow M, Hui K, Noyes M, Hall S, Hubbard E. Linking the environment, DAF-7/TGF? signaling and LAG-2/DSL ligand expression in the germline stem cell niche. Development. 2017;144:2896-2906 pubmed publisher..Our results implicate DAF-3 repressor complex activity as a key molecular mechanism whereby the environment influences DSL ligand expression in the niche to modulate developmental expansion of the germline stem cell pool. ..
- Chelur D, Chalfie M. Targeted cell killing by reconstituted caspases. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:2283-8 pubmed..The high degree of target specificity and tight regulation of induction of recCaspase would be advantageous in creating animal models that are ablated for specific cells and in other targeted cell killings. ..
- Navarro C, Lehmann R, Morris J. Oogenesis: Setting one sister above the rest. Curr Biol. 2001;11:R162-5 pubmed..Recent studies have revealed that the Par-1 protein, in addition to its established role in anterior-posterior patterning of the Drosophila oocyte, has both microtubule-dependent and microtubule-independent roles very early in oogenesis. ..
- Chen N, Greenwald I. The lateral signal for LIN-12/Notch in C. elegans vulval development comprises redundant secreted and transmembrane DSL proteins. Dev Cell. 2004;6:183-92 pubmed..In addition, we show that DSL-1, which lacks a predicted transmembrane domain, is a natural secreted ligand and can substitute for the transmembrane ligand LAG-2 in different functional assays. ..
- Benard C, Boyanov A, Hall D, Hobert O. DIG-1, a novel giant protein, non-autonomously mediates maintenance of nervous system architecture. Development. 2006;133:3329-40 pubmed..We propose that DIG-1 is a component of the basement membrane that mediates specific contacts between cellular surfaces and their environment through the interaction with a cell-type specific set of other maintenance factors. ..
- Boateng R, Nguyen K, Hall D, Golden A, Allen A. Novel functions for the RNA-binding protein ETR-1 in Caenorhabditis elegans reproduction and engulfment of germline apoptotic cell corpses. Dev Biol. 2017;429:306-320 pubmed publisher..Combined, this data identifies a novel role for ETR-1 in hermaphrodite gametogenesis and in the process of engulfment of germline apoptotic cell corpses. ..
- Smardon A, Spoerke J, Stacey S, Klein M, Mackin N, Maine E. EGO-1 is related to RNA-directed RNA polymerase and functions in germ-line development and RNA interference in C. elegans. Curr Biol. 2000;10:169-78 pubmed..The ego-1 gene is also required for a robust response to RNA interference by certain genes. Hence, a protein required for germ-line development in C. elegans may be a component of the RNA interference/PTGS machinery. ..
- Myers T, Greenwald I. Wnt signal from multiple tissues and lin-3/EGF signal from the gonad maintain vulval precursor cell competence in Caenorhabditis elegans. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:20368-73 pubmed..We propose that Wnt signaling plays a permissive role in preventing VPCs from fusing with hyp7 and reevaluate the roles of Wnt and LIN-3/EGF signaling in competence and induction...
- Horn M, Geisen C, Cermak L, Becker B, Nakamura S, Klein C, et al. DRE-1/FBXO11-dependent degradation of BLMP-1/BLIMP-1 governs C. elegans developmental timing and maturation. Dev Cell. 2014;28:697-710 pubmed publisher..Taken together, posttranslational regulation of BLMP-1/BLIMP-1 by DRE-1/FBXO11 coordinates C. elegans developmental timing and other life history traits, suggesting that this two-protein module mediates metazoan maturation processes. ..
- Haynes C, Oldfield C, Ji F, Klitgord N, Cusick M, Radivojac P, et al. Intrinsic disorder is a common feature of hub proteins from four eukaryotic interactomes. PLoS Comput Biol. 2006;2:e100 pubmed..The results of this study demonstrate that intrinsic structural disorder is a distinctive and common characteristic of eukaryotic hub proteins, and that disorder may serve as a determinant of protein interactivity. ..
- de Souza N, Vallier L, Fares H, Greenwald I. SEL-2, the C. elegans neurobeachin/LRBA homolog, is a negative regulator of lin-12/Notch activity and affects endosomal traffic in polarized epithelial cells. Development. 2007;134:691-702 pubmed..Our results also suggest that sel-2 activity may contribute to the appropriate steady-state level of LIN-12 or to trafficking events that affect receptor activation. ..
- Lesch B, Bargmann C. The homeodomain protein hmbx-1 maintains asymmetric gene expression in adult C. elegans olfactory neurons. Genes Dev. 2010;24:1802-15 pubmed publisher..elegans dauer pheromone. ..
- Avgousti D, Palani S, Sherman Y, Grishok A. CSR-1 RNAi pathway positively regulates histone expression in C. elegans. EMBO J. 2012;31:3821-32 pubmed publisher..Moreover, we demonstrate that increasing the dosage of histone genes rescues the lethality associated with depletion of CSR-1 and EGO-1. These results support a positive and direct effect of RNAi on histone gene expression. ..
- Jia L, Emmons S. Genes that control ray sensory neuron axon development in the Caenorhabditis elegans male. Genetics. 2006;173:1241-58 pubmed..This system is applicable to the study of mechanisms underlying topographic mapping of sensory neurons into target circuitry where the next stage of information processing is carried out. ..
- Savage Dunn C, Tokarz R, Wang H, Cohen S, Giannikas C, Padgett R. SMA-3 smad has specific and critical functions in DBL-1/SMA-6 TGFbeta-related signaling. Dev Biol. 2000;223:70-6 pubmed..The molecular lesions associated with eight sma-3 alleles of varying severity have been determined. The missense mutations cluster in two previously identified regions important for Smad function. ..
- Johnston R, Hobert O. A novel C. elegans zinc finger transcription factor, lsy-2, required for the cell type-specific expression of the lsy-6 microRNA. Development. 2005;132:5451-60 pubmed
- Lublin A, Isoda F, Patel H, Yen K, Nguyen L, Hajje D, et al. FDA-approved drugs that protect mammalian neurons from glucose toxicity slow aging dependent on cbp and protect against proteotoxicity. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e27762 pubmed publisher..These results also provide novel lead compounds with known safety profiles in human for treatment of age-related diseases, including Alzheimer's disease and diabetic complications. ..
- Garrison J, Macosko E, Bernstein S, Pokala N, Albrecht D, Bargmann C. Oxytocin/vasopressin-related peptides have an ancient role in reproductive behavior. Science. 2012;338:540-3 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that conserved molecules coordinate diverse behavioral motifs in reproductive behavior. ..
- Land M, Rubin C. A Calcium- and Diacylglycerol-Stimulated Protein Kinase C (PKC), Caenorhabditis elegans PKC-2, Links Thermal Signals to Learned Behavior by Acting in Sensory Neurons and Intestinal Cells. Mol Cell Biol. 2017;37: pubmed publisher..UNC-18 variants, created by mutating Ser311 or Ser322, disrupt thermotaxis and suppress PKC-2-dependent cryophilic migration. ..
- Shaye D, Greenwald I. Endocytosis-mediated downregulation of LIN-12/Notch upon Ras activation in Caenorhabditis elegans. Nature. 2002;420:686-90 pubmed..We also show that if LIN-12 is stabilized in P6.p, lateral signalling is compromised, indicating that LIN-12 downregulation is important in the appropriate specification of cell fates in vivo. ..
- Pocock R, Hobert O. Hypoxia activates a latent circuit for processing gustatory information in C. elegans. Nat Neurosci. 2010;13:610-4 pubmed publisher..Thus, physiological detection of hypoxia results in the activation of an additional, previously unrecognized circuit for processing sensory information that is not required for sensory processing under normoxic conditions...
- Jarriault S, Greenwald I. Evidence for functional redundancy between C. elegans ADAM proteins SUP-17/Kuzbanian and ADM-4/TACE. Dev Biol. 2005;287:1-10 pubmed..Our results are consistent with the possibility that sup-17 and adm-4 are functionally redundant for at least a subset of LIN-12/Notch-mediated decisions in C. elegans. ..
- Gravaghi C, La Perle K, Ogrodwski P, Kang J, Quimby F, Lipkin M, et al. Cox-2 expression, PGE(2) and cytokines production are inhibited by endogenously synthesized n-3 PUFAs in inflamed colon of fat-1 mice. J Nutr Biochem. 2011;22:360-5 pubmed publisher..The expression of fat-1 gene in the colon was associated with endogenous n-3 PUFAs production, decreased Cox-2 expression, increased PGE(2) and cytokine production. ..
- Moffat L, Robinson R, Bakoulis A, Clark S. The conserved transmembrane RING finger protein PLR-1 downregulates Wnt signaling by reducing Frizzled, Ror and Ryk cell-surface levels in C. elegans. Development. 2014;141:617-28 pubmed publisher..We propose that PLR-1 downregulates Wnt receptor surface levels via lysine ubiquitylation of Frizzled to coordinate spatial and temporal responses to Wnts during neuronal development. ..
- Pepper A, Killian D, Hubbard E. Genetic analysis of Caenorhabditis elegans glp-1 mutants suggests receptor interaction or competition. Genetics. 2003;163:115-32 pubmed..Double-mutant analysis with suppressors and enhancers of lin-12 and glp-1 further suggests that the functional defect in glp-1(Pro) mutants occurs prior to or at the level of ligand interaction. ..
- Cecere G, Hoersch S, O Keeffe S, Sachidanandam R, Grishok A. Global effects of the CSR-1 RNA interference pathway on the transcriptional landscape. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2014;21:358-65 pubmed publisher..On the basis of these findings, we propose that the CSR-1 pathway helps maintain the directionality of active transcription, thereby propagating the distinction between transcriptionally active and silent genomic regions...
- Myers T, Greenwald I. lin-35 Rb acts in the major hypodermis to oppose ras-mediated vulval induction in C. elegans. Dev Cell. 2005;8:117-23 pubmed..LIN-35 Rb may inhibit vulval fates by regulating a signal from hyp7 to the VPCs or the physiological state of hyp7. ..
- Pocock R, Benard C, Shapiro L, Hobert O. Functional dissection of the C. elegans cell adhesion molecule SAX-7, a homologue of human L1. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2008;37:56-68 pubmed..Lastly, we show that of the several protein binding motifs present in the intracellular region of SAX-7, only its ankyrin binding motif is required and also solely sufficient to confer the adhesive functions of SAX-7. ..
- Voutev R, Keating R, Hubbard E, Vallier L. Characterization of the Caenorhabditis elegans Islet LIM-homeodomain ortholog, lim-7. FEBS Lett. 2009;583:456-64 pubmed publisher..Finally, we identify a 45-bp regulatory element in the first intron that is necessary and sufficient for lim-7 gonadal sheath expression. ..
- Loria P, Duke A, Rand J, Hobert O. Two neuronal, nuclear-localized RNA binding proteins involved in synaptic transmission. Curr Biol. 2003;13:1317-23 pubmed..elegans homolog of ELAV, is required for the fine tuning of synaptic transmission. These findings thus provide a novel molecular link between pre-mRNA splicing and presynaptic function. ..
- Zhang J, Hashmi S, Cheema F, Al Nasser N, Bakheet R, Parhar R, et al. Regulation of lipoprotein assembly, secretion and fatty acid ?-oxidation by Krüppel-like transcription factor, klf-3. J Mol Biol. 2013;425:2641-55 pubmed publisher..Genetic interactions between klf-3 and dsc-4, as well as vit-5 genes, suggest that klf-3 may have an important role in regulating lipid assembly and secretion. ..
- Singh K, Zheng X, Milstein S, Keller M, Roschitzki B, Grossmann J, et al. Differential regulation of germ line apoptosis and germ cell differentiation by CPEB family members in C. elegans. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0182270 pubmed publisher..This observation is consistent with the distinct phenotypes observed in the various CPEB family mutants. ..
- Lin F, Blake D, Callebaut I, Skerjanc I, Holmer L, McBurney M, et al. MAN1, an inner nuclear membrane protein that shares the LEM domain with lamina-associated polypeptide 2 and emerin. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:4840-7 pubmed..The LEM module is also present in two proteins of Caenorhabditis elegans. These results show that MAN1 is an integral protein of the inner nuclear membrane that shares the LEM module with other proteins of this subcellular localization. ..
- Singhvi A, Liu B, Friedman C, Fong J, Lu Y, Huang X, et al. A Glial K/Cl Transporter Controls Neuronal Receptive Ending Shape by Chloride Inhibition of an rGC. Cell. 2016;165:936-48 pubmed publisher..Components of this pathway are broadly expressed throughout the nervous system, suggesting that ionic regulation of the NRE microenvironment may be a conserved mechanism by which glia control neuron shape and function. ..
- Wen C, Levitan D, Li X, Greenwald I. spr-2, a suppressor of the egg-laying defect caused by loss of sel-12 presenilin in Caenorhabditis elegans, is a member of the SET protein subfamily. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2000;97:14524-9 pubmed
- Pocock R, Hobert O. Oxygen levels affect axon guidance and neuronal migration in Caenorhabditis elegans. Nat Neurosci. 2008;11:894-900 pubmed publisher..Similar genetic pathways may cause aberrant human brain development under hypoxic conditions. ..
- Wallace S, Singhvi A, Liang Y, Lu Y, Shaham S. PROS-1/Prospero Is a Major Regulator of the Glia-Specific Secretome Controlling Sensory-Neuron Shape and Function in C. elegans. Cell Rep. 2016;15:550-562 pubmed publisher..Drosophila Prospero and vertebrate PROX1 are expressed in post-mitotic sense-organ glia and astrocytes, suggesting conserved roles for this class of transcription factors. ..
- Karp X, Greenwald I. Multiple roles for the E/Daughterless ortholog HLH-2 during C. elegans gonadogenesis. Dev Biol. 2004;272:460-9 pubmed..hlh-2 also acts at an independent point in the gonadal lineage both to specify distal tip cells (DTCs) and in DTC differentiation and function. ..
- Stanhill A, Haynes C, Zhang Y, Min G, Steele M, Kalinina J, et al. An arsenite-inducible 19S regulatory particle-associated protein adapts proteasomes to proteotoxicity. Mol Cell. 2006;23:875-85 pubmed..These features include enhanced cleavage of peptide substrates and suggest that AIRAP adapts the cell's core protein degradation machinery to counteract proteotoxicity induced by an environmental toxin. ..
- Greenwald I. LIN-12/Notch signaling: lessons from worms and flies. Genes Dev. 1998;12:1751-62 pubmed
- Procko C, Lu Y, Shaham S. Sensory organ remodeling in Caenorhabditis elegans requires the zinc-finger protein ZTF-16. Genetics. 2012;190:1405-15 pubmed publisher..Our studies identify an important component of glia remodeling and suggest that transcriptional changes may underlie glial morphological plasticity in the sensory organs of C. elegans. ..
- Tsalik E, Niacaris T, Wenick A, Pau K, Avery L, Hobert O. LIM homeobox gene-dependent expression of biogenic amine receptors in restricted regions of the C. elegans nervous system. Dev Biol. 2003;263:81-102 pubmed..Lastly, we analyze a mutant allele of the ser-2 tyramine receptor, a target of the ttx-3 Lhx gene in the AIY interneuron class. ser-2 mutants display none of the defects previously shown to be associated with loss of AIY function. ..
- Katic I, Vallier L, Greenwald I. New positive regulators of lin-12 activity in Caenorhabditis elegans include the BRE-5/Brainiac glycosphingolipid biosynthesis enzyme. Genetics. 2005;171:1605-15 pubmed..Genetic analysis and cell ablation experiments suggest that bre-5 functions prior to ligand-induced ectodomain shedding that activates LIN-12 for signal transduction. ..
- Calixto A, Ma C, Chalfie M. Conditional gene expression and RNAi using MEC-8-dependent splicing in C. elegans. Nat Methods. 2010;7:407-11 pubmed publisher..As an example, we report a strain that exhibits temperature-dependent RNA interference. ..