Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on apoptosis in New York, United States
Locale: New York, United States
Publications549 found, 100 shown here
- Fang Y, Yu Y, Hou Q, Zheng X, Zhang M, Zhang D, et al. The Chinese herb isolate isorhapontigenin induces apoptosis in human cancer cells by down-regulating overexpression of antiapoptotic protein XIAP. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:35234-43 pubmed publisher..cleistostachyum by down-regulation of XIAP expression and induction of apoptosis through specific targeting of a SP1 pathway, and cast new light on the treatment of the cancer patients with XIAP overexpression...
- He L, Tolentino T, Grayson P, Zhong S, Warrell R, Rifkind R, et al. Histone deacetylase inhibitors induce remission in transgenic models of therapy-resistant acute promyelocytic leukemia. J Clin Invest. 2001;108:1321-30 pubmed..In vivo, HDACIs induced accumulation of acetylated histones in target organs. Strikingly, this combination of agents induced leukemia remission and prolonged survival, without apparent toxic side effects. ..
- Lin L, Huang G, Rosenberg P. Proliferation of epithelial cell rests, formation of apical cysts, and regression of apical cysts after periapical wound healing. J Endod. 2007;33:908-16 pubmed..Epithelial cells will also regress because of activation of apoptosis or programmed cell death through deprivation of survival factors or by receiving death signals during periapical wound healing...
- Ribe E, Serrano Saiz E, Akpan N, Troy C. Mechanisms of neuronal death in disease: defining the models and the players. Biochem J. 2008;415:165-82 pubmed publisher..A better understanding of the neuronal death pathways would provide targets for the development of therapeutic interventions for these diseases. ..
- Li H, Balajee A, Su T, Cen B, Hei T, Weinstein I. The HINT1 tumor suppressor regulates both gamma-H2AX and ATM in response to DNA damage. J Cell Biol. 2008;183:253-65 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that the tumor suppressor function of HINT1 is caused by, at least in part, its normal role in enhancing cellular responses to DNA damage by regulating the functions of both gamma-H2AX and ATM. ..
- Noel B, Lilo S, Capurso D, Hill J, Bliska J. Yersinia pestis can bypass protective antibodies to LcrV and activation with gamma interferon to survive and induce apoptosis in murine macrophages. Clin Vaccine Immunol. 2009;16:1457-66 pubmed publisher..We conclude that Y. pestis can bypass protective antibodies to LcrV and activation with IFN-gamma to survive and induce apoptosis in murine macrophages. ..
- Kon N, Kobayashi Y, Li M, Brooks C, Ludwig T, Gu W. Inactivation of HAUSP in vivo modulates p53 function. Oncogene. 2010;29:1270-9 pubmed publisher..These data show that Hausp has a critical role in regulating the p53-Mdm2 pathway. ..
- Mungamuri S, Benson E, Wang S, Gu W, Lee S, Aaronson S. p53-mediated heterochromatin reorganization regulates its cell fate decisions. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2012;19:478-84, S1 pubmed publisher..These findings uncover a new layer of p53-mediated chromatin regulation through modulation of histone methylation at p53 target promoters...
- Ro S, Liu D, Yeo H, Paik J. FoxOs in neural stem cell fate decision. Arch Biochem Biophys. 2013;534:55-63 pubmed publisher..The review will focus on the current understanding of FoxO function in NSCs as well as discuss their biological activities that contribute to determining neural stem cell fate. ..
- Kim D, Peng X, Sun X. Massive apoptosis of thymocytes in T-cell-deficient Id1 transgenic mice. Mol Cell Biol. 1999;19:8240-53 pubmed..Taken together, our data suggest that E proteins, being the targets of Id1, are essential regulators for normal T-cell differentiation and tumor suppression. ..
- Jung C, Motwani M, Schwartz G. Flavopiridol increases sensitization to gemcitabine in human gastrointestinal cancer cell lines and correlates with down-regulation of ribonucleotide reductase M2 subunit. Clin Cancer Res. 2001;7:2527-36 pubmed..Thus, combining flavopiridol with gemcitabine may provide an important and novel new means of enhancing the efficacy of gemcitabine in the treatment of gastrointestinal cancers. ..
- Zhu Y, Lin L, Kim S, Quaglino D, Lockshin R, Zakeri Z. Cyclin dependent kinase 5 and its interacting proteins in cell death induced in vivo by cyclophosphamide in developing mouse embryos. Cell Death Differ. 2002;9:421-30 pubmed
- Schmitt C, Fridman J, Yang M, Lee S, Baranov E, Hoffman R, et al. A senescence program controlled by p53 and p16INK4a contributes to the outcome of cancer therapy. Cell. 2002;109:335-46 pubmed..Therefore, cellular senescence contributes to treatment outcome in vivo. ..
- Fanzo J, Hu C, Jang S, Pernis A. Regulation of lymphocyte apoptosis by interferon regulatory factor 4 (IRF-4). J Exp Med. 2003;197:303-14 pubmed..These data suggest that IRF-4, by modulating the efficiency of the Fas-mediated death signal, is a novel participant in the regulation of lymphoid cell apoptosis. ..
- Siegel P, Shu W, Cardiff R, Muller W, Massague J. Transforming growth factor beta signaling impairs Neu-induced mammary tumorigenesis while promoting pulmonary metastasis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003;100:8430-5 pubmed
- Wu M, Yuan S, Szporn A, Gan L, Shtilbans V, Burstein D. Immunocytochemical detection of XIAP in body cavity effusions and washes. Mod Pathol. 2005;18:1618-22 pubmed
- Bickers D, Athar M. Oxidative stress in the pathogenesis of skin disease. J Invest Dermatol. 2006;126:2565-75 pubmed..Although many antioxidants have shown substantive efficacy in cell culture systems and in animal models of oxidant injury, unequivocal confirmation of their beneficial effects in human populations has proven elusive. ..
- Doudican N, Rodriguez A, Osman I, Orlow S. Mebendazole induces apoptosis via Bcl-2 inactivation in chemoresistant melanoma cells. Mol Cancer Res. 2008;6:1308-15 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that this screening approach is useful for identifying agents that show promise in the treatment of even chemoresistant melanoma and identifies mebendazole as a potent, melanoma-specific cytotoxic agent...
- Mukherjee S, Shields D. Nuclear import is required for the pro-apoptotic function of the Golgi protein p115. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:1709-17 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that nuclear import of the p115 CTF is required for it to stimulate the apoptotic response and suggest that its mode of action is confined to the nucleus. ..
- Compagno M, Lim W, Grunn A, Nandula S, Brahmachary M, Shen Q, et al. Mutations of multiple genes cause deregulation of NF-kappaB in diffuse large B-cell lymphoma. Nature. 2009;459:717-21 pubmed publisher..Thus, our results demonstrate that NF-kappaB activation in DLBCL is caused by genetic lesions affecting multiple genes, the loss or activation of which may promote lymphomagenesis by leading to abnormally prolonged NF-kappaB responses. ..
- Thorp E, Li G, Seimon T, Kuriakose G, Ron D, Tabas I. Reduced apoptosis and plaque necrosis in advanced atherosclerotic lesions of Apoe-/- and Ldlr-/- mice lacking CHOP. Cell Metab. 2009;9:474-81 pubmed publisher..These data provide direct evidence for a causal link between the ER stress effector CHOP and plaque necrosis and suggest that interventions weakening this arm of the UPR may lessen plaque progression. ..
- Kumar D, Bhaskaran M, Alagappan L, Tori D, Yadav I, Konkimalla S, et al. Heme oxygenase-1 modulates mesangial cell proliferation by p21 Waf1 upregulation. Ren Fail. 2010;32:254-8 pubmed publisher..On the other hand, hemoglobin and ZnP inhibited mesangial cell p21 expression. It appears that the effect of HO-1 on MC growth may be mediated through upregulation of p21 expression. ..
- Karasic T, Hei T, Ivanov V. Disruption of IGF-1R signaling increases TRAIL-induced apoptosis: a new potential therapy for the treatment of melanoma. Exp Cell Res. 2010;316:1994-2007 pubmed publisher..The ultimate goal of this direction of research is the discovery of a new treatment method for highly resistant human metastatic melanomas. Our findings provide the rationale for further preclinical evaluation of this novel treatment. ..
- Nath N, Chattopadhyay M, Pospishil L, Cieciura L, Goswami S, Kodela R, et al. JS-K, a nitric oxide-releasing prodrug, modulates ß-catenin/TCF signaling in leukemic Jurkat cells: evidence of an S-nitrosylated mechanism. Biochem Pharmacol. 2010;80:1641-9 pubmed publisher..The NO scavenger PTIO abrogated the JS-K mediated degradation of ?-catenin demonstrating the need for NO...
- Aguilo F, Avagyan S, Labar A, Sevilla A, Lee D, Kumar P, et al. Prdm16 is a physiologic regulator of hematopoietic stem cells. Blood. 2011;117:5057-66 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that Prdm16 may be a critical node in a network that contains negative and positive feedback loops and integrates HSC renewal, quiescence, apoptosis, and differentiation. ..
- Jin Y, Ratnam K, Chuang P, Fan Y, Zhong Y, Dai Y, et al. A systems approach identifies HIPK2 as a key regulator of kidney fibrosis. Nat Med. 2012;18:580-8 pubmed publisher..We therefore conclude that HIPK2 is a potential target for anti-fibrosis therapy. ..
- Feldman T, Kabaleeswaran V, Jang S, Antczak C, Djaballah H, Wu H, et al. A class of allosteric caspase inhibitors identified by high-throughput screening. Mol Cell. 2012;47:585-95 pubmed publisher..Based on these kinetic, biochemical, and structural analyses, we suggest that these compounds are allosteric caspase inhibitors that function through binding to the dimerization interface of caspases. ..
- Ruiz de Sabando A, Wang C, He Y, GarcÃa Barros M, Kim J, Shroyer K, et al. ML264, A Novel Small-Molecule Compound That Potently Inhibits Growth of Colorectal Cancer. Mol Cancer Ther. 2016;15:72-83 pubmed publisher..These findings demonstrate that ML264, or an analogue, may hold a promise as a novel therapeutic agent to curb the development and progression of colorectal cancer. ..
- Guo A, Lu P, Galanina N, Nabhan C, Smith S, Coleman M, et al. Heightened BTK-dependent cell proliferation in unmutated chronic lymphocytic leukemia confers increased sensitivity to ibrutinib. Oncotarget. 2016;7:4598-610 pubmed publisher..The prognostic significance of IGHV mutation should be reevaluated in the era of new therapies targeting BCR signaling. ..
- Rhee K, Wolgemuth D. Tcp10 promoter-directed expression of the Nek2 gene in mouse meiotic spermatocytes. Mol Cells. 2002;13:85-90 pubmed..These results revealed that even only slightly elevated production of the Nek2 protein disturbed the normal development of male germ cells, possibly in meiosis. ..
- MacLusky N, Chalmers Redman R, Kay G, Ju W, Nethrapalli I, Tatton W. Ovarian steroids reduce apoptosis induced by trophic insufficiency in nerve growth factor-differentiated PC12 cells and axotomized rat facial motoneurons. Neuroscience. 2003;118:741-54 pubmed
- Bao J, Wolpowitz D, Role L, Talmage D. Back signaling by the Nrg-1 intracellular domain. J Cell Biol. 2003;161:1133-41 pubmed..Thus, regulated proteolytic processing of Nrg-1 results in retrograde signaling that appears to mediate contact and activity-dependent survival of Nrg-1-expressing neurons. ..
- Xu Z, Kukekov N, Greene L. Regulation of apoptotic c-Jun N-terminal kinase signaling by a stabilization-based feed-forward loop. Mol Cell Biol. 2005;25:9949-59 pubmed..Our findings suggest a self-amplifying, feed-forward loop mechanism by which apoptotic stimuli promote the stabilization of JNK pathway components, thereby contributing to cell death. ..
- Ju W, Ogawa A, Heyer J, Nierhof D, Yu L, Kucherlapati R, et al. Deletion of Smad2 in mouse liver reveals novel functions in hepatocyte growth and differentiation. Mol Cell Biol. 2006;26:654-67 pubmed..Collectively, these results demonstrate that Smad2 suppresses hepatocyte growth and dedifferentiation independent of TGF-beta signaling. Smad2 is not required for TGF-beta-stimulated apoptosis, EMT, and growth inhibition in hepatocytes. ..
- Pandi Perumal S, Srinivasan V, Maestroni G, Cardinali D, Poeggeler B, Hardeland R. Melatonin: Nature's most versatile biological signal?. FEBS J. 2006;273:2813-38 pubmed..Taken together, this evidence implicates melatonin in a broad range of effects with a significant regulatory influence over many of the body's physiological functions. ..
- Ding J, Zhang X, Li J, Song L, Ouyang W, Zhang D, et al. Nickel compounds render anti-apoptotic effect to human bronchial epithelial Beas-2B cells by induction of cyclooxygenase-2 through an IKKbeta/p65-dependent and IKKalpha- and p50-independent pathway. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:39022-32 pubmed
- Cang Y, Zhang J, Nicholas S, Kim A, Zhou P, Goff S. DDB1 is essential for genomic stability in developing epidermis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:2733-7 pubmed..Our results suggest that DDB1 plays an important role in development by controlling levels of cell cycle regulators and thereby maintaining genomic stability. ..
- Warner Schmidt J, Flajolet M, Maller A, Chen E, Qi H, Svenningsson P, et al. Role of p11 in cellular and behavioral effects of 5-HT4 receptor stimulation. J Neurosci. 2009;29:1937-46 pubmed publisher..The essential role played by p11 in modulating signaling through 5-HT4 as well as 5-HT1B receptors supports the concept that this protein may be a key determinant of vulnerability to depression. ..
- Sequeira S, Wen H, Avivar Valderas A, Farias E, Aguirre Ghiso J. Inhibition of eIF2alpha dephosphorylation inhibits ErbB2-induced deregulation of mammary acinar morphogenesis. BMC Cell Biol. 2009;10:64 pubmed publisher..Treatments that stabilize P-eIF2alpha levels may be effective in treating ErbB2 positive cancers without severely disrupting normal tissue function and structure. ..
- Morshed S, Ando T, Latif R, Davies T. Neutral antibodies to the TSH receptor are present in Graves' disease and regulate selective signaling cascades. Endocrinology. 2010;151:5537-49 pubmed publisher..This may help explain the inflammatory nature of this common disorder. ..
- Duan S, Cermak L, Pagan J, Rossi M, Martinengo C, di Celle P, et al. FBXO11 targets BCL6 for degradation and is inactivated in diffuse large B-cell lymphomas. Nature. 2012;481:90-3 pubmed publisher..The deletions/mutations found in DLBCLs are largely monoallelic, indicating that FBXO11 is a haplo-insufficient tumour suppressor gene. ..
- Fu S, Yang Y, Das T, Tirtha D, Yen Y, Zhou B, et al. ?-H2AX kinetics as a novel approach to high content screening for small molecule radiosensitizers. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e38465 pubmed publisher..MS0019266 and MS0017509 are promising compounds that may be candidates for further development as radiosensitizing compounds as inhibitors of ribonucleotide reductase. ..
- MacKenzie G, Huang L, Alston N, Ouyang N, Vranková K, Mattheolabakis G, et al. Targeting mitochondrial STAT3 with the novel phospho-valproic acid (MDC-1112) inhibits pancreatic cancer growth in mice. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e61532 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that P-V is a promising candidate drug against pancreatic cancer and establish mitochondrial STAT3 as its key molecular target. ..
- Jean Y, Ribe E, Pero M, Moskalenko M, Iqbal Z, Marks L, et al. Caspase-2 is essential for c-Jun transcriptional activation and Bim induction in neuron death. Biochem J. 2013;455:15-25 pubmed publisher..This places caspase-2 at an apical position in the apoptotic cascade and demonstrates for the first time that caspase-2 can regulate transcription. ..
- Wu X, Li Y, Wang J, Wen X, Marcus M, Daniels G, et al. Long chain fatty Acyl-CoA synthetase 4 is a biomarker for and mediator of hormone resistance in human breast cancer. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e77060 pubmed publisher..Our data strongly suggest that ACSL4 can serve as both a biomarker for, and mediator of, an aggressive breast cancer phenotype. ..
- Choi P, Yang J, Ng S, Feltmate C, Muto M, Hasselblatt K, et al. Loss of E-cadherin disrupts ovarian epithelial inclusion cyst formation and collective cell movement in ovarian cancer cells. Oncotarget. 2016;7:4110-21 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our studies employing 3D models have shown that E-cadherin is crucial for ovarian inclusion cyst formation and collective cancer cell migration. ..
- Gocher A, Azabdaftari G, Euscher L, Dai S, Karacosta L, Franke T, et al. Akt activation by Ca2+/calmodulin-dependent protein kinase kinase 2 (CaMKK2) in ovarian cancer cells. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:14188-14204 pubmed publisher..CaMKK2 knockdown potentiated the effects of the chemotherapeutic drugs carboplatin and PX-866 to reduce proliferation and survival of OVCa cells. ..
- Zou H, Wieser R, Massague J, Niswander L. Distinct roles of type I bone morphogenetic protein receptors in the formation and differentiation of cartilage. Genes Dev. 1997;11:2191-203 pubmed..Our studies indicate that in TGF beta signaling systems, different type I receptor isoforms are dedicated to specific functions during embryogenesis. ..
- Kim H, Xu G, Borczuk A, Busch S, Filmus J, Capurro M, et al. The heparan sulfate proteoglycan GPC3 is a potential lung tumor suppressor. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 2003;29:694-701 pubmed..These findings suggest that GPC3 is a candidate lung tumor suppressor gene whose expression may be regulated by exposure to cigarette smoke and functions to modulate cellular response to exogenous damage. ..
- Rideout H, Dietrich P, Wang Q, Dauer W, Stefanis L. alpha-synuclein is required for the fibrillar nature of ubiquitinated inclusions induced by proteasomal inhibition in primary neurons. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:46915-20 pubmed..The lack of effect on survival in alpha-synuclein knock-out cultures further suggests that the fibrillar nature of the inclusions does not contribute to neuronal degeneration in this model. ..
- Lee H, Park S, Kim M, D Agati V. Acute kidney injury after hepatic ischemia and reperfusion injury in mice. Lab Invest. 2009;89:196-208 pubmed publisher..Our murine model of AKI after liver injury closely mimics human AKI associated with ALF and may be useful in delineating the mechanisms and potential therapies for this common clinical condition. ..
- Norman D, Feng L, Cheng S, Gubbay J, Chan E, Heintz N. The lurcher gene induces apoptotic death in cerebellar Purkinje cells. Development. 1995;121:1183-93 pubmed..Isolation of the Lc mutation and further analysis of its action in eliciting apoptosis can provide an important opportunity for understanding the etiology of neurodegenerative disease. ..
- Schmitt C, McCurrach M, de Stanchina E, Wallace Brodeur R, Lowe S. INK4a/ARF mutations accelerate lymphomagenesis and promote chemoresistance by disabling p53. Genes Dev. 1999;13:2670-7 pubmed..Consequently, INK4a/ARF and p53 mutations lead to aggressive tumors by disrupting overlapping tumor suppressor functions. These data have important implications for understanding the clinical behavior of human tumors. ..
- Singhal P, Reddy K, Franki N, Ding G. HIV-1 gp120 envelope protein modulates proliferation of human glomerular epithelial cells. J Cell Biochem. 1999;76:61-70 pubmed..We conclude that gp120 has a bimodal effect on proliferation of HGEC. This effect may be mediated through the activation of early growth genes. ..
- Worman H, Courvalin J. The inner nuclear membrane. J Membr Biol. 2000;177:1-11 pubmed
- Cremesti A, Paris F, Grassme H, Holler N, Tschopp J, Fuks Z, et al. Ceramide enables fas to cap and kill. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:23954-61 pubmed..These data suggest that capping is a ceramide-dependent event required for optimal Fas signaling in some cells. ..
- Takahashi M, Deb N, Kawashita Y, Lee S, Furgueil J, Okuyama T, et al. A novel strategy for in vivo expansion of transplanted hepatocytes using preparative hepatic irradiation and FasL-induced hepatocellular apoptosis. Gene Ther. 2003;10:304-13 pubmed..This is the first demonstration of massive hepatic repopulation by transplanted cells by HIR and FasL-induced controlled apoptosis of host liver cells...
- Bernardi R, Pandolfi P. Role of PML and the PML-nuclear body in the control of programmed cell death. Oncogene. 2003;22:9048-57 pubmed..Here, we will discuss the molecular mechanisms by which PML regulates these processes and the implication of these findings for cancer pathogenesis and therapy. ..
- Li Y, Ge M, Ciani L, Kuriakose G, Westover E, Dura M, et al. Enrichment of endoplasmic reticulum with cholesterol inhibits sarcoplasmic-endoplasmic reticulum calcium ATPase-2b activity in parallel with increased order of membrane lipids: implications for depletion of endoplasmic reticulum calcium stores and ap. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:37030-9 pubmed..This biophysical model may underlie the critical connection between excess cholesterol, unfolded protein response induction, macrophage death, and plaque destabilization in advanced atherosclerosis. ..
- Liu X, Kirschenbaum A, Yu K, Yao S, Levine A. Cyclooxygenase-2 suppresses hypoxia-induced apoptosis via a combination of direct and indirect inhibition of p53 activity in a human prostate cancer cell line. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:3817-23 pubmed..These data imply that COX-2-positive prostate cancer cells can have impaired p53 function even in the presence of wild-type p53 and that p53 activity can be restored in these cells via inhibition of COX-2 activity. ..
- Biswas S, Ryu E, Park C, Malagelada C, Greene L. Puma and p53 play required roles in death evoked in a cellular model of Parkinson disease. Neurochem Res. 2005;30:839-45 pubmed..Involvement of p53 in 6-OHDA evoked death was confirmed by the protective actions of a DN p53 and pifithrin alpha, inhibitors of p53 signaling. Our findings thus indicate that p53 and PUMA play required roles in a cellular model of PD. ..
- Xydas S, Kherani A, Chang J, Klotz S, Hay I, Mutrie C, et al. beta(2)-Adrenergic stimulation attenuates left ventricular remodeling, decreases apoptosis, and improves calcium homeostasis in a rodent model of ischemic cardiomyopathy. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2006;317:553-61 pubmed..We conclude that clenbuterol ameliorates EDPVR, apoptosis, and calcium homeostasis but does not have synergy with metoprolol in our model of ischemic HF. ..
- Ouchi T. BRCA1 phosphorylation: biological consequences. Cancer Biol Ther. 2006;5:470-5 pubmed..This article will focus on the BRCA1 kinases, the identification of the phosphorylation residues, and the biological consequences of BRCA1's phosphorylation for regulation of cell proliferation. ..
- Natarajan A, Ghose R, Hill J. Structure and dynamics of ASC2, a pyrin domain-only protein that regulates inflammatory signaling. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:31863-75 pubmed..Further, a transition from complete disorder to order of the alpha2-alpha3 loop upon binding, as suggested for NALP1, is unlikely to be a common attribute of pyrin domain interactions. ..
- Sequeira S, Ranganathan A, Adam A, Iglesias B, Farias E, Aguirre Ghiso J. Inhibition of proliferation by PERK regulates mammary acinar morphogenesis and tumor formation. PLoS ONE. 2007;2:e615 pubmed..The possibility that deficiencies in PERK signaling could lead to hyperproliferation of the mammary epithelium and increase the likelihood of tumor formation, is of significance to the understanding of breast cancer. ..
- Giardina S, Mikami M, Goubaeva F, Yang J. Connexin 43 confers resistance to hydrogen peroxide-mediated apoptosis. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2007;362:747-52 pubmed
- Allina J, Stanca C, Garber J, Hu B, Sautes Fridman C, Bach N, et al. Anti-CD16 autoantibodies and delayed phagocytosis of apoptotic cells in primary biliary cirrhosis. J Autoimmun. 2008;30:238-45 pubmed..050). In conclusion, PBC macrophage phagocytosis of opsonized apoptotic cells is impaired, irrespective of serum factors and may increase hepatic inflammation...
- Husain M, Meggs L, Vashistha H, Simoes S, Griffiths K, Kumar D, et al. Inhibition of p66ShcA longevity gene rescues podocytes from HIV-1-induced oxidative stress and apoptosis. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:16648-58 pubmed publisher..We conclude that inhibition of p66ShcA redox activity prevents generation of HIV-1 stress signals and activation of the CIDHP apoptosis program. ..
- Hirschhorn Cymerman D, Rizzuto G, Merghoub T, Cohen A, Avogadri F, Lesokhin A, et al. OX40 engagement and chemotherapy combination provides potent antitumor immunity with concomitant regulatory T cell apoptosis. J Exp Med. 2009;206:1103-16 pubmed publisher..Thus, we propose that CTX and OX40 engagement represents a novel and rational chemoimmunotherapy. ..
- Yvan Charvet L, Pagler T, Seimon T, Thorp E, Welch C, Witztum J, et al. ABCA1 and ABCG1 protect against oxidative stress-induced macrophage apoptosis during efferocytosis. Circ Res. 2010;106:1861-9 pubmed publisher..The ATP-binding cassette transporters ABCA1 and ABCG1 have a major role in promoting cholesterol efflux from macrophages to apolipoprotein A-1 and HDL and are upregulated during the phagocytosis of apoptotic cells (efferocytosis)...
- How P, Shields D. Tethering function of the caspase cleavage fragment of Golgi protein p115 promotes apoptosis via a p53-dependent pathway. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:8565-76 pubmed publisher..Together, our results indicate a conserved tethering function of the Golgi protein p115 CTF which promotes p53-ERK interaction for the amplification of the apoptotic signal. ..
- Ullman E, Pan J, Zong W. Squamous cell carcinoma antigen 1 promotes caspase-8-mediated apoptosis in response to endoplasmic reticulum stress while inhibiting necrosis induced by lysosomal injury. Mol Cell Biol. 2011;31:2902-19 pubmed publisher..Hence, on one hand, SCCA1 inhibits cell death induced by lysosomal injury while, on the other hand, it sensitizes cells to ER stress by activating caspase-8 independently of the death receptor apoptotic pathway. ..
- Thompson C. Rethinking the regulation of cellular metabolism. Cold Spring Harb Symp Quant Biol. 2011;76:23-9 pubmed publisher..However, a considerable body of evidence now exists that challenges the notion that the nutrient uptake and metabolism of metazoan cells are cell-autonomous. ..
- Bisikirska B, Adam S, Alvarez M, Rajbhandari P, Cox R, Lefebvre C, et al. STK38 is a critical upstream regulator of MYC's oncogenic activity in human B-cell lymphoma. Oncogene. 2013;32:5283-91 pubmed publisher..Moreover, STK38 knockdown suppresses growth of MYC-addicted tumors in vivo, thus providing a novel viable target for treating these malignancies. ..
- Henning J, Graffeo C, Rehman A, Fallon N, Zambirinis C, Ochi A, et al. Dendritic cells limit fibroinflammatory injury in nonalcoholic steatohepatitis in mice. Hepatology. 2013;58:589-602 pubmed publisher..Our findings support a role for DCs in modulating NASH. Targeting DC functional properties may hold promise for therapeutic intervention in NASH. ..
- Wang J, Xu Monette Z, Jabbar K, Shen Q, Manyam G, Tzankov A, et al. AKT Hyperactivation and the Potential of AKT-Targeted Therapy in Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma. Am J Pathol. 2017;187:1700-1716 pubmed publisher..This study demonstrates the clinical and therapeutic implications of AKT hyperactivation in DLBCL and suggests that AKT inhibitors need to be combined with other targeted agents for DLBCL to achieve optimal clinical efficacy. ..
- Caccamo A, Branca C, Piras I, Ferreira E, Huentelman M, Liang W, et al. Necroptosis activation in Alzheimer's disease. Nat Neurosci. 2017;20:1236-1246 pubmed publisher..We anticipate that our findings will spur a new area of research in the AD field focused on developing new therapeutic strategies aimed at blocking its activation...
- Bruggeman L, Dikman S, Meng C, Quaggin S, Coffman T, Klotman P. Nephropathy in human immunodeficiency virus-1 transgenic mice is due to renal transgene expression. J Clin Invest. 1997;100:84-92 pubmed..These studies suggest that in humans, a direct effect of HIV-1 expression is likely the essential cause of HIVAN, rather than an indirect effect of cytokine dysregulation...
- Haimovitz Friedman A, Cordon Cardo C, Bayoumy S, Garzotto M, McLoughlin M, Gallily R, et al. Lipopolysaccharide induces disseminated endothelial apoptosis requiring ceramide generation. J Exp Med. 1997;186:1831-41 pubmed..These investigations demonstrate that LPS induces a disseminated form of endothelial apoptosis, mediated sequentially by TNF and ceramide generation, and suggest that this cascade is mandatory for evolution of the endotoxic syndrome. ..
- Wong B, Josien R, Lee S, Sauter B, Li H, Steinman R, et al. TRANCE (tumor necrosis factor [TNF]-related activation-induced cytokine), a new TNF family member predominantly expressed in T cells, is a dendritic cell-specific survival factor. J Exp Med. 1997;186:2075-80 pubmed..Therefore, TRANCE is a new DC-restricted survival factor that mediates T cell-DC communication and may provide a tool to selectively enhance DC activity. ..
- Zhang D, Penttila T, Morris P, Teichmann M, Roeder R. Spermiogenesis deficiency in mice lacking the Trf2 gene. Science. 2001;292:1153-5 pubmed..We speculate that mammals may have evolved more specialized TRF2 functions in the testis that involve transcriptional regulation of genes essential for spermiogenesis. ..
- Oki S, Limnander A, Danial N, Rothman P. Functional involvement of Akt signaling downstream of Jak1 in v-Abl-induced activation of hematopoietic cells. Blood. 2002;100:966-73 pubmed..These results suggest that Jak1-dependent Akt activation is important in v-Abl-mediated transformation. ..
- Bhoumik A, Huang T, Ivanov V, Gangi L, Qiao R, Woo S, et al. An ATF2-derived peptide sensitizes melanomas to apoptosis and inhibits their growth and metastasis. J Clin Invest. 2002;110:643-50 pubmed..Growth and metastasis of SW1 and B16F10 mouse melanomas were inhibited by ATF2(50-100) to varying degrees up to a complete regression, depending on the mode (inducible, constitutive, or adenoviral delivery) of its expression. ..
- Nishikawa M, Stapleton P, Freeman T, Gaughan J, Matsuda T, Daly J. NS-398 inhibits tumor growth and liver metastasis of colon cancer through induction of apoptosis and suppression of the plasminogen activation system in a mouse model. J Am Coll Surg. 2004;199:428-35 pubmed..05). COX-2 inhibition significantly decreases tumor growth in this model by inducing apoptosis and blocking u-PA production in G5 colon cancer cells, which is associated with significant inhibition of liver metastases. ..
- Phan R, Dalla Favera R. The BCL6 proto-oncogene suppresses p53 expression in germinal-centre B cells. Nature. 2004;432:635-9 pubmed..These findings also imply that deregulated BCL6 expression contributes to lymphomagenesis in part by functional inactivation of p53. ..
- Lin L, Su Z, Lebedeva I, Gupta P, Boukerche H, Rai T, et al. Activation of Ras/Raf protects cells from melanoma differentiation-associated gene-5-induced apoptosis. Cell Death Differ. 2006;13:1982-93 pubmed
- Karajannis M, Vincent L, Direnzo R, Shmelkov S, Zhang F, Feldman E, et al. Activation of FGFR1beta signaling pathway promotes survival, migration and resistance to chemotherapy in acute myeloid leukemia cells. Leukemia. 2006;20:979-86 pubmed..These data suggest that activation of FGF-2/FGFR1beta supports progression and chemoresistance in subsets of AML. Therefore, FGFR1 targeting may be of therapeutic benefit in subsets of AML. ..
- O Donnell M, Legarda Addison D, Skountzos P, Yeh W, Ting A. Ubiquitination of RIP1 regulates an NF-kappaB-independent cell-death switch in TNF signaling. Curr Biol. 2007;17:418-24 pubmed..Because TRAF2 is the E3 ligase for RIP1 , these observations provide an explanation for the NF-kappaB-independent antiapoptotic function previously described for TRAF2 [14-16]. ..
- Petrukhin K. New therapeutic targets in atrophic age-related macular degeneration. Expert Opin Ther Targets. 2007;11:625-39 pubmed..This review discusses potential target areas for small-molecule and biologic intervention, which may lead to development of new therapeutic treatments for atrophic AMD. ..