Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on animals in Scotland, United Kingdom
Locale: Scotland, United Kingdom
Publications782 found, 100 shown here
- Macintyre A, Finlay D, Preston G, Sinclair L, Waugh C, Tamas P, et al. Protein kinase B controls transcriptional programs that direct cytotoxic T cell fate but is dispensable for T cell metabolism. Immunity. 2011;34:224-36 pubmed publisher..Akt is thus dispensable for metabolism, but the strength and duration of Akt activity dictates the CTL transcriptional program and determines CTL fate. ..
- Wang F, Good J, Rath O, Kaan H, Sutcliffe O, MacKay S, et al. Triphenylbutanamines: kinesin spindle protein inhibitors with in vivo antitumor activity. J Med Chem. 2012;55:1511-25 pubmed publisher..One triphenylbutanamine analogue and ispinesib possess very good bioavailability (51% and 45%, respectively), with the former showing in vivo antitumor growth activity in nude mice xenograft studies...
- Antoni F, Barnard R, Shipston M, Smith S, Simpson J, Paterson J. Calcineurin feedback inhibition of agonist-evoked cAMP formation. J Biol Chem. 1995;270:28055-61 pubmed..Furthermore, the effect of calcineurin on cAMP synthesis appears to be associated with the expression of a novel adenylyl cyclase isotype, which is highly abundant in AtT20 cells. ..
- Choudhry R, Pitts J, Hodgins M. Changing patterns of gap junctional intercellular communication and connexin distribution in mouse epidermis and hair follicles during embryonic development. Dev Dyn. 1997;210:417-30 pubmed
- Wadd S, Bryant H, Filhol O, Scott J, Hsieh T, Everett R, et al. The multifunctional herpes simplex virus IE63 protein interacts with heterogeneous ribonucleoprotein K and with casein kinase 2. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:28991-8 pubmed..These data provide important new insights into how this key viral regulatory protein exerts its functions. ..
- MacIntyre N, Smith D, Shaw D, Thomson J, Rhind S. Immunopathogenesis of experimentally induced proliferative enteropathy in pigs. Vet Pathol. 2003;40:421-32 pubmed
- Carswell H, Macrae I, Gallagher L, Harrop E, Horsburgh K. Neuroprotection by a selective estrogen receptor beta agonist in a mouse model of global ischemia. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2004;287:H1501-4 pubmed..The data indicate a significant estrogen receptor-mediated neuroprotection in a global cerebral ischemia model involving ERbeta. ..
- Ward P, Equinet L, Packer J, Doerig C. Protein kinases of the human malaria parasite Plasmodium falciparum: the kinome of a divergent eukaryote. BMC Genomics. 2004;5:79 pubmed..The considerable phylogenetic distance between Apicomplexa and other Eukaryotes is reflected by profound divergences between the kinome of malaria parasites and that of yeast or mammalian cells. ..
- Barry J, Marcello L, Morrison L, Read A, Lythgoe K, Jones N, et al. What the genome sequence is revealing about trypanosome antigenic variation. Biochem Soc Trans. 2005;33:986-9 pubmed..These findings from the genome project have major implications for evolution of the VSG archive and for transmission of the parasite in the field. ..
- MacDougall N, Muir K. Hyperglycaemia and infarct size in animal models of middle cerebral artery occlusion: systematic review and meta-analysis. J Cereb Blood Flow Metab. 2011;31:807-18 pubmed publisher..Insulin had a nonsignificant and significantly heterogeneous effect. Further studies with relevant models may inform clinical trial design. ..
- Niedbala W, Alves Filho J, Fukada S, Vieira S, Mitani A, Sonego F, et al. Regulation of type 17 helper T-cell function by nitric oxide during inflammation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:9220-5 pubmed publisher..NO may therefore represent an important endogenous regulator to prevent overexpansion of Th17 cells and control of autoimmune diseases caused by environmental pollutants. ..
- Li R, Dooley H, Wang T, Secombes C, Bird S. Characterisation and expression analysis of B-cell activating factor (BAFF) in spiny dogfish (Squalus acanthias): cartilaginous fish BAFF has a unique extra exon that may impact receptor binding. Dev Comp Immunol. 2012;36:707-17 pubmed publisher..The dogfish BAFF is highly expressed in immune tissues, such as spleen, and is up-regulated by PWM in peripheral blood leucocytes, suggesting a potentially important role in the immune system...
- Eastgate J, Symons J, Duff G. Identification of an interleukin-1 beta binding protein in human plasma. FEBS Lett. 1990;260:213-6 pubmed..The protein was heat stable and had a rapid association time with IL1 beta. This protein may be an important carrier molecule for IL1 beta in vivo. ..
- Buxton D. Protozoan infections (Toxoplasma gondii, Neospora caninum and Sarcocystis spp.) in sheep and goats: recent advances. Vet Res. 1998;29:289-310 pubmed..The value of experimental infections in these animals may be to provide a comparative model of the infection in cattle in the same way that our understanding of toxoplasmosis in sheep provides a superior model of human toxoplasmosis. ..
- Yarwood S, Steele M, Scotland G, Houslay M, Bolger G. The RACK1 signaling scaffold protein selectively interacts with the cAMP-specific phosphodiesterase PDE4D5 isoform. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:14909-17 pubmed..We suggest that RACK1 may act as a scaffold protein to recruit PDE4D5 and other proteins into a signaling complex. ..
- Ladomery M, Slight J, Mc Ghee S, Hastie N. Presence of WT1, the Wilm's tumor suppressor gene product, in nuclear poly(A)(+) ribonucleoprotein. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:36520-6 pubmed..Similar results were obtained from two cell lines expressing WT1, fetal kidneys (day E17), and transiently transfected cells, suggesting that the presence of WT1 protein in nuclear poly(A)(+) RNP is a general aspect of WT1 function. ..
- Antoniou A, Ford S, Alphey M, Osborne A, Elliott T, Powis S. The oxidoreductase ERp57 efficiently reduces partially folded in preference to fully folded MHC class I molecules. EMBO J. 2002;21:2655-63 pubmed..Our data suggest that the reductase activity of ERp57 may be involved during the unfolding of MHC class I molecules, leading to targeting for degradation. ..
- Goulding S, Earnshaw W. Shugoshin: a centromeric guardian senses tension. Bioessays. 2005;27:588-91 pubmed..This discovery has provided a molecular link between sister chromatid cohesion and tension-sensing at the kinetochore-microtubule interface. ..
- Agaba M, Tocher D, Zheng X, Dickson C, Dick J, Teale A. Cloning and functional characterisation of polyunsaturated fatty acid elongases of marine and freshwater teleost fish. Comp Biochem Physiol B Biochem Mol Biol. 2005;142:342-52 pubmed..The fish elongases generally showed greater activity or similar activities with n-3 than with n-6 homologues, with the exception of the cod enzyme which was more active towards n-6 fatty acids. ..
- Ramaesh T, Ramaesh K, Leask R, Springbett A, Riley S, Dhillon B, et al. Increased apoptosis and abnormal wound-healing responses in the heterozygous Pax6+/- mouse cornea. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2006;47:1911-7 pubmed..Possible contributions of elevated stromal cell apoptosis and other abnormal wound-healing responses to ARK are discussed. ..
- TamÃ¡s P, Hawley S, Clarke R, Mustard K, Green K, Hardie D, et al. Regulation of the energy sensor AMP-activated protein kinase by antigen receptor and Ca2+ in T lymphocytes. J Exp Med. 2006;203:1665-70 pubmed..Moreover, AMPK does not just react to cellular energy depletion but also anticipates it. ..
- Guil S, Long J, Caceres J. hnRNP A1 relocalization to the stress granules reflects a role in the stress response. Mol Cell Biol. 2006;26:5744-58 pubmed..Our data are consistent with a model whereby hnRNP A1 recruitment to SGs involves Mnk1/2-dependent phosphorylation of mRNA-bound hnRNP A1. ..
- Smith H, Nichols R. Zoonotic protozoa--food for thought. Parassitologia. 2006;48:101-4 pubmed..In addition, there is growing evidence for the role that water and food can play in the transmission of the microsporidia, Balantidium and Blastocystis to humans. ..
- Lara J, Economou M, Wallace A, Rumley A, Lowe G, Slater C, et al. Benefits of salmon eating on traditional and novel vascular risk factors in young, non-obese healthy subjects. Atherosclerosis. 2007;193:213-21 pubmed..Daily consumption of salmon improves traditional risk predictors of CHD in non-obese subjects. Adiponectin may be involved but the impact on novel risk factors needs study in high-risk subjects. ..
- Windheim M, Peggie M, Cohen P. Two different classes of E2 ubiquitin-conjugating enzymes are required for the mono-ubiquitination of proteins and elongation by polyubiquitin chains with a specific topology. Biochem J. 2008;409:723-9 pubmed
- Dardente H, Birnie M, Lincoln G, Hazlerigg D. RFamide-related peptide and its cognate receptor in the sheep: cDNA cloning, mRNA distribution in the hypothalamus and the effect of photoperiod. J Neuroendocrinol. 2008;20:1252-9 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these data strengthen the emerging view that interplay between ependymal cells and the pars tuberalis might be important for the seasonal timing system...
- Chanas S, Collinson J, Ramaesh T, DorÃ N, Kleinjan D, Hill R, et al. Effects of elevated Pax6 expression and genetic background on mouse eye development. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2009;50:4045-59 pubmed publisher..Some phenotypic differences between PAX77(+/-)<-->wild-type and Pax6(+/-)<-->wild-type chimeras may reflect differences in the levels of PAX77(+/-) and Pax6(+/-) contributions to chimeric lenses. ..
- Winter A, McCormack G, Myllyharju J, Page A. Prolyl 4-hydroxlase activity is essential for development and cuticle formation in the human infective parasitic nematode Brugia malayi. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:1750-61 pubmed publisher..We therefore demonstrate that C-P4H activity is essential for development of B. malayi and uncover a novel parasite-specific feature of these collagen biosynthetic enzymes that may be exploited in future parasite control...
- Ioannidis J, Donadeu F. Circulating miRNA signatures of early pregnancy in cattle. BMC Genomics. 2016;17:184 pubmed publisher..027). Through genome-wide analyses we have successfully profiled plasma miRNA populations associated with early pregnancy in cattle. We have identified miR-26a as a potential circulating biomarker of early pregnancy. ..
- Bushfield M, Murphy G, Lavan B, Parker P, Hruby V, Milligan G, et al. Hormonal regulation of Gi2 alpha-subunit phosphorylation in intact hepatocytes. Biochem J. 1990;268:449-57 pubmed..We suggest that there are two possible sites for the phosphorylation of alpha-Gi2; one for C-kinase and the other for an unidentified kinase whose action is triggered by A-kinase activation. ..
- Clark J, Jeffs B, Davidson A, Lee W, Anderson N, Bihoreau M, et al. Quantitative trait loci in genetically hypertensive rats. Possible sex specificity. Hypertension. 1996;28:898-906 pubmed..1). The sex specificity of blood pressure quantitative trait loci will be important in designing congenic strains and substrains for fine genetic mapping and for identifying genes that regulate blood pressure. ..
- Ruggiu M, Saunders P, Cooke H. Dynamic subcellular distribution of the DAZL protein is confined to primate male germ cells. J Androl. 2000;21:470-7 pubmed..Variations in location seem to be independent of the presence of the DAZ protein are species specific and, as in Drosophila, may not have great functional significance. ..
- Lainson F, Aitchison K, Donachie W, Thomson J. Typing of Pasteurella multocida isolated from pigs with and without porcine dermatitis and nephropathy syndrome. J Clin Microbiol. 2002;40:588-93 pubmed..multocida strains isolated from non-PDNS cases. Isolation of a single variant of P. multocida from tissues of pigs with PDNS warrants further investigation into the possible role of these bacteria in the etiology of the disease...
- Barnes A, Horne M, Ellis A. Streptococcus iniae expresses a cell surface non-immune trout immunoglobulin-binding factor when grown in normal trout serum. Fish Shellfish Immunol. 2003;15:425-31 pubmed..garvieae cells but S. iniae isolates grown in normal trout serum did not. These data indicate that S. iniae grown in serum express surface factors which can bind trout Ig by the Fc-region. ..
- Thomas A, Stevenson L, Wease K, Price M, Baillie G, Ross R, et al. Evidence that the plant cannabinoid Delta9-tetrahydrocannabivarin is a cannabinoid CB1 and CB2 receptor antagonist. Br J Pharmacol. 2005;146:917-26 pubmed..The bases of these agonist- and tissue-dependent effects remain to be established. ..
- Sharling L, Sowa K, Thompson J, Kyriacou H, Arnot D. Rapid and specific biotin labelling of the erythrocyte surface antigens of both cultured and ex-vivo Plasmodium parasites. Malar J. 2007;6:66 pubmed..Biotinylation and osmotic lysis provides an improved method to label and purify parasitised erythrocyte surface antigen extracts from both in vitro and ex vivo Plasmodium parasite preparations. ..
- Guinane C, Sturdevant D, Herron Olson L, Otto M, Smyth D, Villaruz A, et al. Pathogenomic analysis of the common bovine Staphylococcus aureus clone (ET3): emergence of a virulent subtype with potential risk to public health. J Infect Dis. 2008;197:205-13 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these data indicate the emergence of a virulent subtype of the common ET3 clone, which could present an enhanced risk to public health...
- Long G, Chan B, Allen J, Read A, Graham A. Blockade of TNF receptor 1 reduces disease severity but increases parasite transmission during Plasmodium chabaudi chabaudi infection. Int J Parasitol. 2008;38:1073-81 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that the effects of candidate malaria interventions on infectivity should be examined alongside effects on disease severity so that the epidemiological consequences of such interventions can be evaluated...
- Asquith D, Miller A, McInnes I, Liew F. Animal models of rheumatoid arthritis. Eur J Immunol. 2009;39:2040-4 pubmed publisher..Here, we describe these animal models and discuss their advantages and limitations. ..
- Hannemann A, Christie J, Flatman P. Functional expression of the Na-K-2Cl cotransporter NKCC2 in mammalian cells fails to confirm the dominant-negative effect of the AF splice variant. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:35348-58 pubmed publisher..In addition, fNKCC2AF is neither complex glycosylated nor phosphorylated in its N terminus regulatory region like other variants. ..
- Scott P. Treatment and control of respiratory disease in sheep. Vet Clin North Am Food Anim Pract. 2011;27:175-186 pubmed publisher..It is essential to critically assess clinical diagnostic methods, treatment options, and control measures for the common respiratory diseases affecting sheep. ..
- Ong H, Sienkiewicz N, Wyllie S, Fairlamb A. Dissecting the metabolic roles of pteridine reductase 1 in Trypanosoma brucei and Leishmania major. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:10429-38 pubmed publisher..These findings establish that PTR1 has an essential and dual role in pterin metabolism in African trypanosomes and underline its potential as a drug target...
- Navarro P, Festuccia N, Colby D, Gagliardi A, Mullin N, Zhang W, et al. OCT4/SOX2-independent Nanog autorepression modulates heterogeneous Nanog gene expression in mouse ES cells. EMBO J. 2012;31:4547-62 pubmed publisher..Therefore, cellular variability in self-renewal efficiency is an emergent property of the pluripotency gene regulatory network. ..
- Reilly O Donnell B, Robertson G, Karumbi A, McIntyre C, Bal W, Nishi M, et al. Dysregulated Zn2+ homeostasis impairs cardiac type-2 ryanodine receptor and mitsugumin 23 functions, leading to sarcoplasmic reticulum Ca2+ leakage. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:13361-13373 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, these data suggest that dysregulated Zn2+ homeostasis alters the function of both RyR2 and MG23 and that both ion channels play a key role in diastolic SR Ca2+ leakage. ..
- McNeil M, Gerber P, Thomson J, Williamson S, Opriessnig T. Serotypes and Spa types of Erysipelothrix rhusiopathiae isolates from British pigs (1987 to 2015). Vet J. 2017;225:13-15 pubmed publisher..All isolates were positive for the spa A gene. Serotypes 1a, 1b and 2 constituted 88.3% of the isolates; current serotype 2 based vaccines should protect against these isolates. ..
- Wilkie I. Mutable collagenous tissue: overview and biotechnological perspective. Prog Mol Subcell Biol. 2005;39:221-50 pubmed
- Monroig O, Rotllant J, Cerdá Reverter J, Dick J, Figueras A, Tocher D. Expression and role of Elovl4 elongases in biosynthesis of very long-chain fatty acids during zebrafish Danio rerio early embryonic development. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2010;1801:1145-54 pubmed publisher..Overall, the results suggest that zebrafish elovl4b resembles other mammalian orthologues in terms of function and expression patterns, whereas elovl4a may represent an alternative elongase not previously described in vertebrates. ..
- McClive P, Pall G, Newton K, Lee M, Mullins J, Forrester L. Gene trap integrations expressed in the developing heart: insertion site affects splicing of the PT1-ATG vector. Dev Dyn. 1998;212:267-76 pubmed..One of these exon integrations results in a lethal neonatal phenotype. ..
- Fisher A, Davies E, Fraser R, Connell J. Structure-function relationships of aldosterone synthase and 11 beta-hydroxylase enzymes: implications for human hypertension. Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol Suppl. 1998;25:S42-6 pubmed
- McPhee I, Yarwood S, Scotland G, Huston E, Beard M, Ross A, et al. Association with the SRC family tyrosyl kinase LYN triggers a conformational change in the catalytic region of human cAMP-specific phosphodiesterase HSPDE4A4B. Consequences for rolipram inhibition. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:11796-810 pubmed..Interaction between pde46 and SRC family tyrosyl kinases highlights a potentially novel regulatory system and point of signaling system cross-talk. ..
- Cameron N, Cotter M. Effects of antioxidants on nerve and vascular dysfunction in experimental diabetes. Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 1999;45:137-46 pubmed..This has encouraged the development of novel drugs such as ascorbyl-gamma-linolenic acid and gamma-linolenic acid-lipoic acid with enhanced therapeutic potential. ..
- Van Hellemond J, Neuville P, Schwarz R, Matthews K, Mottram J. Isolation of Trypanosoma brucei CYC2 and CYC3 cyclin genes by rescue of a yeast G(1) cyclin mutant. Functional characterization of CYC2. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:8315-23 pubmed..The CRK3 x CYC2ty complex, the first cyclin-dependent kinase complex identified in trypanosomes, was localized by immune fluorescence to the cytoplasm throughout the cell cycle...
- Woods Y, Rena G, Morrice N, Barthel A, Becker W, Guo S, et al. The kinase DYRK1A phosphorylates the transcription factor FKHR at Ser329 in vitro, a novel in vivo phosphorylation site. Biochem J. 2001;355:597-607 pubmed..We find that FKHR and DYRK1A co-localize in discrete regions of the nucleus and can be co-immunoprecipitated from cell extracts. These experiments suggest that DYRK1A may phosphorylate FKHR at Ser(329) in vivo. ..
- Sills G, Patsalos P, Butler E, Forrest G, Ratnaraj N, Brodie M. Visual field constriction: accumulation of vigabatrin but not tiagabine in the retina. Neurology. 2001;57:196-200 pubmed..We investigated the pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic profiles of VGB and TGB in rat brain and eye...
- March J, Harrison J, Borich S. Humoral immune responses following experimental infection of goats with Mycoplasma capricolum subsp. capripneumoniae. Vet Microbiol. 2002;84:29-45 pubmed..Of the diagnostic tests used, only the CPS antibody detection latex agglutination test and IgG immunoblotting gave positive diagnoses throughout the entire period post-infection (days 14-53 p.i.)...
- Mabbott N, Young J, McConnell I, Bruce M. Follicular dendritic cell dedifferentiation by treatment with an inhibitor of the lymphotoxin pathway dramatically reduces scrapie susceptibility. J Virol. 2003;77:6845-54 pubmed..Although manipulation of FDCs may offer a potential approach for early intervention in peripherally acquired TSEs, these data suggest that the duration of the treatment window may vary widely depending on the route of exposure...
- Bakirtzis G, Choudhry R, Aasen T, Shore L, Brown K, Bryson S, et al. Targeted epidermal expression of mutant Connexin 26(D66H) mimics true Vohwinkel syndrome and provides a model for the pathogenesis of dominant connexin disorders. Hum Mol Genet. 2003;12:1737-44 pubmed
- Graham E, Turnbull Y, Fotheringham P, Nilaweera K, Mercer J, Morgan P, et al. Neuromedin U and Neuromedin U receptor-2 expression in the mouse and rat hypothalamus: effects of nutritional status. J Neurochem. 2003;87:1165-73 pubmed..The data from the obese rodent models supports the hypothesis that NMU is involved in the regulation of nutritional status. ..
- Kelso E, Lockhart J, Hembrough T, Dunning L, Plevin R, Hollenberg M, et al. Therapeutic promise of proteinase-activated receptor-2 antagonism in joint inflammation. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2006;316:1017-24 pubmed..Our findings represent a major advance in collectively identifying PAR2 as a novel target for the future treatment of arthritis. ..
- Srsen V, Gnadt N, Dammermann A, Merdes A. Inhibition of centrosome protein assembly leads to p53-dependent exit from the cell cycle. J Cell Biol. 2006;174:625-30 pubmed..Inhibition of p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase rescued cell cycle activity after centrosome protein depletion, indicating that p53 is activated by the p38 stress pathway. ..
- Richmond G, Smith T. A novel phospholipase from Trypanosoma brucei. Mol Microbiol. 2007;63:1078-95 pubmed publisher..The TbPLA(1) homozygous null mutants generated here constitute the only PLA(1) double knockouts from any organism...
- Allan E, Hoischen C, Gumpert J. Bacterial L-forms. Adv Appl Microbiol. 2009;68:1-39 pubmed publisher..The recent decline in active research on L-forms is a concern as knowledge and experience, as well as unique L-form strains which have been maintained for decades, are being lost...
- McLuskey K, Paterson N, Bland N, Isaacs N, Mottram J. Crystal structure of Leishmania major oligopeptidase B gives insight into the enzymatic properties of a trypanosomatid virulence factor. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:39249-59 pubmed publisher..It could facilitate the development of specific OPB inhibitors with therapeutic potential by exploiting its unique substrate recognition properties as well as providing a model for OPBs in general. ..
- Alessi D, MacDougall L, Sola M, Ikebe M, Cohen P. The control of protein phosphatase-1 by targetting subunits. The major myosin phosphatase in avian smooth muscle is a novel form of protein phosphatase-1. Eur J Biochem. 1992;210:1023-35 pubmed
- Maldonado Codina G, Glover D. Cyclins A and B associate with chromatin and the polar regions of spindles, respectively, and do not undergo complete degradation at anaphase in syncytial Drosophila embryos. J Cell Biol. 1992;116:967-76 pubmed..In contrast to the cycles following cellularization, neither cyclin is completely degraded upon the metaphase-anaphase transition. ..
- McCallion A, Guenet J, Montague P, Griffiths I, Savioz A, Davies R. The mouse gene (Mobp) encoding myelin-associated oligodendrocytic basic protein maps to distal chromosome 9. Mamm Genome. 1996;7:847-9 pubmed
- Tortonese D, Brooks J, Ingleton P, McNeilly A. Detection of prolactin receptor gene expression in the sheep pituitary gland and visualization of the specific translation of the signal in gonadotrophs. Endocrinology. 1998;139:5215-23 pubmed
- Dornan J, Page A, Taylor P, Wu S, Winter A, Husi H, et al. Biochemical and structural characterization of a divergent loop cyclophilin from Caenorhabditis elegans. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:34877-83 pubmed..This study represents a detailed biological, biochemical, and structural characterization of a single cyclophilin isoform in the model organism Caenorhabditis elegans. ..
- Kongkanuntn R, Bubb V, Sansom O, Wyllie A, Harrison D, Clarke A. Dysregulated expression of beta-catenin marks early neoplastic change in Apc mutant mice, but not all lesions arising in Msh2 deficient mice. Oncogene. 1999;18:7219-25 pubmed
- Maclean L, Odiit M, Sternberg J. Nitric oxide and cytokine synthesis in human African trypanosomiasis. J Infect Dis. 2001;184:1086-90 pubmed..The results indicate that human African trypanosomiasis leads to the development of a strong anti-inflammatory cytokine response...
- Tetaud E, Lecuix I, Sheldrake T, Baltz T, Fairlamb A. A new expression vector for Crithidia fasciculata and Leishmania. Mol Biochem Parasitol. 2002;120:195-204 pubmed..Biologically active proteins can be expressed in C. fasciculata or L. amazonensis promastigotes and purified by affinity chromatography using a metal chelating column...
- Lincoln G, Andersson H, Hazlerigg D. Clock genes and the long-term regulation of prolactin secretion: evidence for a photoperiod/circannual timer in the pars tuberalis. J Neuroendocrinol. 2003;15:390-7 pubmed..A speculative, but testable, extension of this hypothesis is that intrinsically regulated changes in the phase of Per/Cry rhythms, regulates both photorefractoriness and the generation of circannual rhythms in prolactin secretion. ..
- Biuw M, McConnell B, Bradshaw C, Burton H, Fedak M. Blubber and buoyancy: monitoring the body condition of free-ranging seals using simple dive characteristics. J Exp Biol. 2003;206:3405-23 pubmed..Our results suggest that this simple method can be used to estimate the changes in lipid content of free-ranging seals while at sea and may help improve our understanding of the foraging strategies of these important marine predators. ..
- Wang T, Johnson N, Zou J, Bols N, Secombes C. Sequencing and expression of the second allele of the interleukin-1beta1 gene in rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss): identification of a novel SINE in the third intron. Fish Shellfish Immunol. 2004;16:335-58 pubmed..The mechanism governing this outcome is discussed. ..
- Overend J, Wilson W, Martin W. Biphasic neurogenic vasodilatation in the bovine intraocular long posterior ciliary artery: involvement of nitric oxide and an additional unidentified neurotransmitter. Br J Pharmacol. 2005;145:1001-8 pubmed..The neurotransmitter mediating the second component remains to be determined but is unlikely to be CGRP, substance P or VIP. ..
- Summers C, Dewar P, van der Molen R, Cousens C, Salvatori D, Sharp J, et al. Jaagsiekte sheep retrovirus-specific immune responses induced by vaccination: a comparison of immunisation strategies. Vaccine. 2006;24:1821-9 pubmed..These results will help in the design of a protective vaccine against JSRV infection and the development of OPA...
- Knight P, Griffith S, Pemberton A, Pate J, Guarneri L, Anderson K, et al. Novel gene expression responses in the ovine abomasal mucosa to infection with the gastric nematode Teladorsagia circumcincta. Vet Res. 2011;42:78 pubmed publisher..The changes in gene expression levels described here may reflect roles in direct anti-parasitic effects, immuno-modulation or tissue repair. ..
- Nicoll G, Davidson S, Shanley L, Hing B, Lear M, McGuffin P, et al. Allele-specific differences in activity of a novel cannabinoid receptor 1 (CNR1) gene intronic enhancer in hypothalamus, dorsal root ganglia, and hippocampus. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:12828-34 pubmed publisher..Further analysis of the different alleles of ECR1 may lead to a greater understanding of the role of CNR1 gene misregulation in these conditions as well as chronic inflammatory pain. ..
- Kearsey J, Coates P, Prescott A, Warbrick E, Hall P. Gadd45 is a nuclear cell cycle regulated protein which interacts with p21Cip1. Oncogene. 1995;11:1675-83 pubmed..It is postulated that the interactions of Gadd45 with both p21Cip1 and PCNA are important for the modulation of cell cycles, and for the inhibition of DNA replication. ..
- Sinclair M, Gilchrist J, Aitken R. Bovine IgG repertoire is dominated by a single diversified VH gene family. J Immunol. 1997;159:3883-9 pubmed..Comparison of germline VH sequences with those gathered from adult bovine splenic cDNA demonstrates a pattern of nucleotide substitution that is consistent with diversification through somatic hypermutation. ..
- Turner D, Wildblood L, Inglis N, Jones D. Characterization of a galectin-like activity from the parasitic nematode, Haemonchus contortus, which modulates ovine eosinophil migration in vitro. Vet Immunol Immunopathol. 2008;122:138-45 pubmed publisher..The possibility of the parasite-derived factor mimicking the mammalian galectin-9, a known eosinophil chemokine, is discussed. ..
- Holmes P. Tsetse-transmitted trypanosomes--their biology, disease impact and control. J Invertebr Pathol. 2013;112 Suppl:S11-4 pubmed publisher..There is an urgent need for more effective disease diagnostic methods, new safer drugs and more sustained international support for integrated control programmes. ..
- Fiskerstrand C, Roy D, Green I, Sargan D. Cloning, expression and characterization of ovine interleukins 1 alpha and beta. Cytokine. 1992;4:418-28 pubmed..The presence of a Factor Xa cleavage site in the IL-1 alpha proprotein suggests that Factor Xa may be involved in the processing of ovine IL-1 alpha to its mature form. ..
- Miao Y, Burt D, Paton I, Sharp P, Dunn I. Mapping of the prolactin gene to chicken chromosome 2. Anim Genet. 1999;30:473 pubmed
- Lizcano J, Morrice N, Cohen P. Regulation of BAD by cAMP-dependent protein kinase is mediated via phosphorylation of a novel site, Ser155. Biochem J. 2000;349:547-57 pubmed