Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on animals in North Carolina, United States
Locale: North Carolina, United States
Publications791 found, 100 shown here
- Staskal D, Diliberto J, Birnbaum L. Impact of repeated exposure on the toxicokinetics of BDE 47 in mice. Toxicol Sci. 2006;89:380-5 pubmed..These results, in combination with evidence of its persistence and toxicity, underlie the need to further understand BDE 47 toxicokinetics across species at steady-state conditions. ..
- Khan M, Fenton S, Swank A, Hester S, Williams A, Wolf D. A mixture of ammonium perchlorate and sodium chlorate enhances alterations of the pituitary-thyroid axis caused by the individual chemicals in adult male F344 rats. Toxicol Pathol. 2005;33:776-83 pubmed..1 + SC 1000, and AP 10 + SC 1000 mg/L). These data suggest that short-term exposure to the mixture of AP and SC enhances the effect of either chemical alone on the pituitary-thyroid axis in rats. ..
- Moon A, Garcia Diaz M, Bebenek K, Davis B, Zhong X, Ramsden D, et al. Structural insight into the substrate specificity of DNA Polymerase mu. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2007;14:45-53 pubmed..These results provide insight into the substrate specificity and differing functions of four closely related mammalian family X DNA polymerases. ..
- Asagoshi K, Tano K, Chastain P, Adachi N, Sonoda E, Kikuchi K, et al. FEN1 functions in long patch base excision repair under conditions of oxidative stress in vertebrate cells. Mol Cancer Res. 2010;8:204-15 pubmed publisher..Other consequences of the FEN1 deficiency were also evaluated. These results illustrate that FEN1 plays a role in LP-BER in higher eukaryotes, presumably by processing the flap-containing intermediates of BER. ..
- ..Finally, we will discuss our current understanding of the underlying mechanisms on how a particular type of Th cells may convert into other types of Th cells. ..
- Miller D, Snow S, Schladweiler M, Richards J, Ghio A, Ledbetter A, et al. Acute Ozone-Induced Pulmonary and Systemic Metabolic Effects Are Diminished in Adrenalectomized Rats. Toxicol Sci. 2016;150:312-22 pubmed publisher..We demonstrate that ozone-induced peripheral metabolic effects and lung injury/inflammation are mediated through adrenal-derived stress hormones likely via the activation of stress response pathway. ..
- Khiroug L, Giniatullin R, Klein R, Fayuk D, Yakel J. Functional mapping and Ca2+ regulation of nicotinic acetylcholine receptor channels in rat hippocampal CA1 neurons. J Neurosci. 2003;23:9024-31 pubmed..Our results demonstrate the strategic location and Ca2+ regulation of alpha7-containing nAChRs, which may contribute to understanding their involvement in hippocampal plasticity...
- Connolly K, Stecher V, Snyder B, Bohnet E, Potts G. The effect of danazol in the MRL/lpr mouse model of autoimmune disease. Agents Actions. 1988;25:164-70 pubmed..Measurements of mortality, proteinuria and SAP concentration indicate that danazol at 100 mg/kg is orally active in the treatment of MRL/MpJ (lpr) female, but not male mice. ..
- Dukes I, Philipson L. K+ channels: generating excitement in pancreatic beta-cells. Diabetes. 1996;45:845-53 pubmed..These discoveries have identified new pharmacological targets for possible therapeutic intervention in the treatment of diabetes...
- Sweet D, Wolff N, Pritchard J. Expression cloning and characterization of ROAT1. The basolateral organic anion transporter in rat kidney. J Biol Chem. 1997;272:30088-95 pubmed..Each of these properties is identical to those previously described for the basolateral alpha-ketoglutarate/PAH exchanger in isolated membrane vesicles or intact renal tubules. ..
- Ghanayem B, Sanders J, Chanas B, Burka L, Gonzalez F. Role of cytochrome P-450 2E1 in methacrylonitrile metabolism and disposition. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 1999;289:1054-9 pubmed..It is therefore concluded that MAN oxidative metabolites such as the epoxide intermediate have greater reactivity than parent MAN. ..
- Watkins R, Maglich J, Moore L, Wisely G, Noble S, Davis Searles P, et al. 2.1 A crystal structure of human PXR in complex with the St. John's wort compound hyperforin. Biochemistry. 2003;42:1430-8 pubmed
- Bauer B, Hartz A, Lucking J, Yang X, Pollack G, Miller D. Coordinated nuclear receptor regulation of the efflux transporter, Mrp2, and the phase-II metabolizing enzyme, GSTpi, at the blood-brain barrier. J Cereb Blood Flow Metab. 2008;28:1222-34 pubmed publisher..These findings indicate that, as in hepatocytes, brain capillaries possess a regulatory network consisting of nuclear receptors, metabolizing enzymes, and efflux transporters, which modulate blood-brain barrier function...
- Ohmstede C, Jensen K, Sahyoun N. Ca2+/calmodulin-dependent protein kinase enriched in cerebellar granule cells. Identification of a novel neuronal calmodulin-dependent protein kinase. J Biol Chem. 1989;264:5866-75 pubmed..The relevance of the biochemical, molecular, and histologic properties of this enzyme is discussed in the context of neuronal Ca2+ signaling. ..
- Mason J, Champion L, Hook G. Germ-line effects of a mutator, mu2, in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 1997;146:1381-97 pubmed..We propose that mu2 affects chromosomal structure during oogenesis, thereby modulating DNA repair. ..
- Eddy E. HSP70-2 heat-shock protein of mouse spermatogenic cells. J Exp Zool. 1998;282:261-71 pubmed..This appears to be the first demonstration that interaction between an HSP70 protein and a cyclin-dependent kinase is necessary for progression of the cell cycle. ..
- Henke B, Blanchard S, Brackeen M, Brown K, Cobb J, Collins J, et al. N-(2-Benzoylphenyl)-L-tyrosine PPARgamma agonists. 1. Discovery of a novel series of potent antihyperglycemic and antihyperlipidemic agents. J Med Chem. 1998;41:5020-36 pubmed..The increased potency of these PPARgamma agonists relative to troglitazone may translate into superior clinical efficacy for the treatment of type 2 diabetes. ..
- Wallace A, Cidlowski J. Proteasome-mediated glucocorticoid receptor degradation restricts transcriptional signaling by glucocorticoids. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:42714-21 pubmed..Together these findings suggest a major role of the ubiquitin-proteasome pathway in regulating glucocorticoid receptor protein turnover, thereby providing a mechanism to terminate glucocorticoid responses. ..
- Carroll I, Thomas J, Dykstra L, Granger A, Allen R, Howard J, et al. Pharmacological properties of JDTic: a novel kappa-opioid receptor antagonist. Eur J Pharmacol. 2004;501:111-9 pubmed..In the U50,488-induced diuresis rat test, JDTic, s.c., suppressed diuretic activity with a greater potency than that of nor-binaltorphimine (nor-BNI). Thus, JDTic is a potent long- and orally acting selective kappa-opioid antagonist. ..
- Carrick D, Lai W, Blackshear P. The tandem CCCH zinc finger protein tristetraprolin and its relevance to cytokine mRNA turnover and arthritis. Arthritis Res Ther. 2004;6:248-64 pubmed..The TTP pathway of TNF-alpha and GM-CSF mRNA degradation is a possible novel target for anti-TNF-alpha therapies for rheumatoid arthritis, and also for other conditions proven to respond to anti-TNF-alpha therapy. ..
- Lau C, Anitole K, Hodes C, Lai D, Pfahles Hutchens A, Seed J. Perfluoroalkyl acids: a review of monitoring and toxicological findings. Toxicol Sci. 2007;99:366-94 pubmed..Several avenues of research are proposed that would further our understanding of this class of compounds. ..
- El Zowalaty A, Li R, Zheng Y, Lydon J, DeMayo F, Ye X. Deletion of RhoA in Progesterone Receptor-Expressing Cells Leads to Luteal Insufficiency and Infertility in Female Mice. Endocrinology. 2017;158:2168-2178 pubmed publisher..These findings provide insights into mechanisms of progesterone insufficiency. ..
- Korach K, Couse J, Curtis S, Washburn T, Lindzey J, Kimbro K, et al. Estrogen receptor gene disruption: molecular characterization and experimental and clinical phenotypes. Recent Prog Horm Res. 1996;51:159-86; discussion 186-8 pubmed..Mutation in the ER gene is present in the human population. Further characterization of the mice and identification of additional patients will be required to more fully understand the consequences of ER gene mutations. ..
- Eddy E, Washburn T, Bunch D, Goulding E, Gladen B, Lubahn D, et al. Targeted disruption of the estrogen receptor gene in male mice causes alteration of spermatogenesis and infertility. Endocrinology. 1996;137:4796-805 pubmed..These results suggest that estrogen action is required for fertility in male mice and that the mutation of the ER in ERKO males leads to reduced mating frequency, low sperm numbers, and defective sperm function. ..
- Dukes I, Sreenan S, Roe M, Levisetti M, Zhou Y, Ostrega D, et al. Defective pancreatic beta-cell glycolytic signaling in hepatocyte nuclear factor-1alpha-deficient mice. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:24457-64 pubmed..We conclude that hepatocyte nuclear factor-1alpha diabetes results from defective beta-cell glycolytic signaling, which is potentially correctable using substrates that bypass the defect. ..
- Yoshizawa K, Marsh T, Foley J, Cai B, Peddada S, Walker N, et al. Mechanisms of exocrine pancreatic toxicity induced by oral treatment with 2,3,7,8-tetrachlorodibenzo-p-dioxin in female Harlan Sprague-Dawley Rats. Toxicol Sci. 2005;85:594-606 pubmed..Changes in the expression of CYP or CCKAR may have induced the acinar-cell tumors by initiating proliferation. ..
- Noshiro M, Lakso M, Kawajiri K, Negishi M. Rip locus: regulation of female-specific isozyme (I-P-450(16 alpha) of testosterone 16 alpha-hydroxylase in mouse liver, chromosome localization, and cloning of P-450 cDNA. Biochemistry. 1988;27:6434-43 pubmed..abstract truncated at 400 words) ..
- Lu N, Wardell S, Burnstein K, Defranco D, Fuller P, Giguere V, et al. International Union of Pharmacology. LXV. The pharmacology and classification of the nuclear receptor superfamily: glucocorticoid, mineralocorticoid, progesterone, and androgen receptors. Pharmacol Rev. 2006;58:782-97 pubmed
- Masaoka A, Gassman N, Kedar P, Prasad R, Hou E, Horton J, et al. HMGN1 protein regulates poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase-1 (PARP-1) self-PARylation in mouse fibroblasts. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:27648-58 pubmed publisher..The results suggest a regulatory role for HMGN1 in PARP-1 activation. ..
- Tyl R, Price C, Marr M, Kimmel C. Developmental toxicity evaluation of Bendectin in CD rats. Teratology. 1988;37:539-52 pubmed..In conclusion, the incidence of litters with one or more malformed fetuses was increased only at a dose of Bendectin which produced maternal mortality (17.1%) and other indices of maternal and developmental toxicity (see Discussion). ..
- Aida K, Moore R, Negishi M. Lack of the steroid 15 alpha-hydroxylase gene (Cyp2a-4) in wild mouse strain Mus spretus: rapid evolution of the P450 gene superfamily. Genomics. 1994;19:564-6 pubmed..Evolutionarily, therefore, Cyp2a-5 is ancestral to Cyp2a-4. Moreover, the line to Cyp2a-4 descended as recently as 3 million years ago in an ancestral mouse. This evidence implies a rapid evolution of the P450 gene superfamily. ..
- Abbott B, Probst M. Developmental expression of two members of a new class of transcription factors: II. Expression of aryl hydrocarbon receptor nuclear translocator in the C57BL/6N mouse embryo. Dev Dyn. 1995;204:144-55 pubmed..These specific patterns of ARNT expression, which differ in certain tissues from the expression of AhR, suggest that ARNT may have additional roles in normal embryonic development. ..
- Shigeta H, Zuo W, Yang N, DiAugustine R, Teng C. The mouse estrogen receptor-related orphan receptor alpha 1: molecular cloning and estrogen responsiveness. J Mol Endocrinol. 1997;19:299-309 pubmed..These results demonstrated that the ERR alpha 1 is an estrogen-responsive gene in the mouse uterus and provides a model system with which to study the biological roles of this nuclear orphan receptor. ..
- Sills R, Valentine W, Moser V, Graham D, Morgan D. Characterization of carbon disulfide neurotoxicity in C57BL6 mice: behavioral, morphologic, and molecular effects. Toxicol Pathol. 2000;28:142-8 pubmed..These data provide supportive evidence that covalent cross-linking of neurofilament proteins is a significant feature of the axonal swellings in mice produced by inhalation exposure to CS2...
- Couse J, Dixon D, Yates M, Moore A, Ma L, Maas R, et al. Estrogen receptor-alpha knockout mice exhibit resistance to the developmental effects of neonatal diethylstilbestrol exposure on the female reproductive tract. Dev Biol. 2001;238:224-38 pubmed
- Mylchreest E, Sar M, Wallace D, Foster P. Fetal testosterone insufficiency and abnormal proliferation of Leydig cells and gonocytes in rats exposed to di(n-butyl) phthalate. Reprod Toxicol. 2002;16:19-28 pubmed..The overall decrease in androgen concentration is not corrected and results in reproductive tract malformations. The multinuclearity and proliferation of gonocytes suggests an underlying Sertoli cell dysfunction. ..
- Thompson C, Ross S, Hensley J, Liu K, Heinze S, Young S, et al. Differential steroidogenic gene expression in the fetal adrenal gland versus the testis and rapid and dynamic response of the fetal testis to di(n-butyl) phthalate. Biol Reprod. 2005;73:908-17 pubmed
- Newbold R, Padilla Banks E, Jefferson W. Adverse effects of the model environmental estrogen diethylstilbestrol are transmitted to subsequent generations. Endocrinology. 2006;147:S11-7 pubmed
- Lee J, Marion T, Abe K, Lim C, Pollock G, Brouwer K. Hepatobiliary disposition of troglitazone and metabolites in rat and human sandwich-cultured hepatocytes: use of Monte Carlo simulations to assess the impact of changes in biliary excretion on troglitazone sulfate accumulation. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2010;332:26-34 pubmed publisher..Pharmacokinetic modeling/simulation with data from SCH is a useful approach to examine the impact of altered hepatobiliary transport on hepatocyte accumulation of drug/metabolites. ..
- Dong Y, Shi Q, Pai H, Peng C, Pan S, Teng C, et al. Antitumor agents. 272. Structure-activity relationships and in vivo selective anti-breast cancer activity of novel neo-tanshinlactone analogues. J Med Chem. 2010;53:2299-308 pubmed publisher..Further development of lead compounds 19-21 and 24 as clinical trial candidates is warranted. ..
- Hardisty J, Willson G, Brown W, McConnell E, Frame S, Gaylor D, et al. Pathology Working Group review and evaluation of proliferative lesions of mammary gland tissues in female rats fed ammonium perfluorooctanoate (APFO) in the diet for 2 years. Drug Chem Toxicol. 2010;33:131-7 pubmed publisher..Therefore, feeding female rats up to 300 ppm of APFO resulted in no increase in proliferative lesions of the mammary tissue. ..
- Wang H, Chanas B, Ghanayem B. Cytochrome P450 2E1 (CYP2E1) is essential for acrylonitrile metabolism to cyanide: comparative studies using CYP2E1-null and wild-type mice. Drug Metab Dispos. 2002;30:911-7 pubmed..Finally, this work confirmed that cyanide plays an essential role in the causation of the acute toxicity/mortality of AN. ..
- Murphy E, Steenbergen C. Preconditioning: the mitochondrial connection. Annu Rev Physiol. 2007;69:51-67 pubmed..This review focuses on mechanisms by which cardioprotection alters mitochondrial proteins and channels that regulate cell death and survival. ..
- Hayashida K, DeGoes S, Curry R, Eisenach J. Gabapentin activates spinal noradrenergic activity in rats and humans and reduces hypersensitivity after surgery. Anesthesiology. 2007;106:557-62 pubmed..These data support a central mechanism of oral gabapentin to reduce postoperative pain and suggest that this effect could be magnified by treatments that augment the effect of norepinephrine release. ..
- Harms C, Maggi R, Breitschwerdt E, Clemons Chevis C, Solangi M, Rotstein D, et al. Bartonella species detection in captive, stranded and free-ranging cetaceans. Vet Res. 2008;39:59 pubmed publisher..The detection of Bartonella spp. from cetaceans may be of pathophysiological concern. ..
- Chung Y, Copeland L, Doerfler D, Ward M. The relative allergenicity of Stachybotrys chartarum compared to house dust mite extracts in a mouse model. Inhal Toxicol. 2010;22:460-8 pubmed publisher..These data suggest a threshold dose for SCE allergy induction. Furthermore, in damp water-damaged environments, exposure to S. chartarum might easily exceed the sensitization threshold for a susceptible population. ..
- Squires E, Negishi M. Reciprocal regulation of sex-dependent expression of testosterone 15 alpha-hydroxylase (P-450(15 alpha)) in liver and kidney of male mice by androgen. Evidence for a single gene. J Biol Chem. 1988;263:4166-71 pubmed..Both Types I and II were repressed in male liver, which results in decreased levels of P-450(15 alpha). Androgen was responsible for the repression and expression of Type I in liver and kidney, but not Type II. ..
- Quarmby V, Fox Davies C, Newbold R, Korach K. Response of the mouse uterus to nafoxidine stimulation: agonism and antagonism. Biol Reprod. 1988;38:945-54 pubmed..These studies show that NAF stimulates some of the receptor-mediated responses attributed to an estrogen agonist in the mouse uterus; but, when co-administered with estradiol, NAF antagonizes some aspects of estrogen action. ..
- Nomeir A, Matthews H. Metabolism and disposition of dimethyl hydrogen phosphite in rats and mice. J Toxicol Environ Health. 1997;51:489-501 pubmed..Therefore, the species-dependent variations in the carcinogenicity of DMHP are most likely attributable to factors other than metabolism and disposition...
- Gordon C, Rowsey P. Poisons and fever. Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol. 1998;25:145-9 pubmed..Overall, the delayed hyperthermia resulting from OP exposure involves activation of thermoregulatory pathways that may be similar to infection-mediated fever. ..
- Yan Z, Karam W, Staudinger J, Medvedev A, Ghanayem B, Jetten A. Regulation of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor alpha-induced transactivation by the nuclear orphan receptor TAK1/TR4. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:10948-57 pubmed..RXR for binding to PPREs as well as to common co-activators, such as RIP-140. Our results suggest an important role for TAK1 in modulating PPARalpha-controlled gene expression in hepatocytes. ..
- Abbott B, Probst M, Perdew G, Buckalew A. AH receptor, ARNT, glucocorticoid receptor, EGF receptor, EGF, TGF alpha, TGF beta 1, TGF beta 2, and TGF beta 3 expression in human embryonic palate, and effects of 2,3,7,8-tetrachlorodibenzo-p-dioxin (TCDD). Teratology. 1998;58:30-43 pubmed
- Olden K, Wilson S. Environmental health and genomics: visions and implications. Nat Rev Genet. 2000;1:149-53 pubmed publisher..Here we discuss the goals of the Environmental Genome Project, its implications and, in particular, its potential effect on our ability to assess human disease risk in the future. ..
- Navarro H, Xu H, Zhong D, Abraham P, Carroll F. In vitro and in vivo characterization of [125I]iodomethyllycaconitine in the rat. Synapse. 2002;44:117-23 pubmed..No metabolism of MLA by human liver S9 fraction was detected. Our results suggest that [125I]iodoMLA will be a useful radioligand to study the alpha7 nAChR in vitro and in vivo. ..
- Hill G, Mangum J, Moss O, Everitt J. Soluble ICAM-1, MCP-1, and MIP-2 protein secretion by rat pleural mesothelial cells following exposure to amosite asbestos. Exp Lung Res. 2003;29:277-90 pubmed..These findings suggest that the secretion of ICAM-1, MCP-1, and MIP-2 by rat pleural mesothelial cells may contribute to amosite-induced pleural inflammation...
- Marzluff W. Metazoan replication-dependent histone mRNAs: a distinct set of RNA polymerase II transcripts. Curr Opin Cell Biol. 2005;17:274-80 pubmed..Recently several novel factors, including components of the U7 snRNP, as well as proteins involved in regulation of histone gene expression, have been described. ..
- McCulloch S, Kunkel T. Measuring the fidelity of translesion DNA synthesis. Methods Enzymol. 2006;408:341-55 pubmed..The assay can be used with other lesions in various sequence contexts and with other polymerases with or without accessory proteins. ..
- Piquemal J, Perera L, Cisneros G, Ren P, Pedersen L, Darden T. Towards accurate solvation dynamics of divalent cations in water using the polarizable amoeba force field: From energetics to structure. J Chem Phys. 2006;125:054511 pubmed..Additionally, we have observed that the coordination of the calcium cation is influenced by the size of the periodic water box, a recurrent issue in first principles molecular dynamics studies...
- Geyer C, Saba R, Kato Y, Anderson A, Chappell V, Saga Y, et al. Rhox13 is translated in premeiotic germ cells in male and female mice and is regulated by NANOS2 in the male. Biol Reprod. 2012;86:127 pubmed publisher..These results strongly suggest that RHOX13 expression is regulated at a posttranscriptional step by direct interaction of NANOS2 with Rhox13 mRNA to suppress translation. ..
- Black M, Budinsky R, Dombkowski A, Cukovic D, LeCluyse E, Ferguson S, et al. Cross-species comparisons of transcriptomic alterations in human and rat primary hepatocytes exposed to 2,3,7,8-tetrachlorodibenzo-p-dioxin. Toxicol Sci. 2012;127:199-215 pubmed publisher..The results provide evidence for divergent cross-species gene expression changes in response to TCDD and are consistent with epidemiological and clinical evidence showing humans to be less sensitive to TCDD-induced hepatotoxicity. ..
- Voelker R, Huang S, Wisely G, Sterling J, Bainbridge S, Hiraizumi K. Molecular and genetic organization of the suppressor of sable and minute (1) 1B region in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 1989;122:625-42 pubmed..Minute (1) 1B has been provisionally identified as encoding a 3.5-kb message; lethal (1)1Bi encodes a 1-kb message; and lethal (1)1Bk encodes a 4-kb message. The possible functions of su(s) and M(1)1B are discussed. ..
- Gray L, Ostby J. The effects of prenatal administration of azo dyes on testicular development in the mouse: a structure activity profile of dyes derived from benzidine, dimethylbenzidine, or dimethoxybenzidine. Fundam Appl Toxicol. 1993;20:177-83 pubmed..When CBE was administered on Days 8-10 of gestation it reduced testis weight after puberty by 30%, while treatment after Day 13 did not affect testicular function.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS) ..
- Wine R, Ku W, Li L, Chapin R. Cyclophilin A is present in rat germ cells and is associated with spermatocyte apoptosis. Reproductive Toxicology Group. Biol Reprod. 1997;56:439-46 pubmed..These data demonstrate that rat testis germ cells contain relatively high levels of cyclophilin A whose nuclease activity is associated with spermatocyte apoptosis induced by 2-methoxyethanol. ..
- Henke B, Aquino C, Birkemo L, Croom D, Dougherty R, Ervin G, et al. Optimization of 3-(1H-indazol-3-ylmethyl)-1,5-benzodiazepines as potent, orally active CCK-A agonists. J Med Chem. 1997;40:2706-25 pubmed..The pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic profile of 1 in rats is also discussed. ..
- Kakuta Y, Petrotchenko E, Pedersen L, Negishi M. The sulfuryl transfer mechanism. Crystal structure of a vanadate complex of estrogen sulfotransferase and mutational analysis. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:27325-30 pubmed..Moreover, residues Lys48, Lys106, and His108 are found to be coordinated with the vanadate molecule at the transition state of EST. ..
- Yang X, Rudolf M, Carew M, Yoshida M, Nerreter V, Riley A, et al. Inositol 1,3,4-trisphosphate acts in vivo as a specific regulator of cellular signaling by inositol 3,4,5,6-tetrakisphosphate. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:18973-80 pubmed..7 microM), thereby suggesting a new strategy for the rational design of therapeutically useful kinase inhibitors. Overall, our data provide new information to support the idea that Ins(1,3,4)P3 acts in an important signaling cascade. ..
- Yudt M, Cidlowski J. Molecular identification and characterization of a and b forms of the glucocorticoid receptor. Mol Endocrinol. 2001;15:1093-103 pubmed..Functional analyses of hGR-A and hGR-B under various glucocorticoid-responsive promoters reveal the shorter hGR-B to be nearly twice as effective as the longer hGR-A species in gene transactivation, but not in transrepression. ..
- Pedersen L, Dong J, Taniguchi F, Kitagawa H, Krahn J, Pedersen L, et al. Crystal structure of an alpha 1,4-N-acetylhexosaminyltransferase (EXTL2), a member of the exostosin gene family involved in heparan sulfate biosynthesis. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:14420-8 pubmed..These structures represent the first structures from the exostosin gene family and provide important insight into the mechanisms of alpha1,4-N-acetylhexosaminyl transfer in heparan biosynthesis. ..
- Anderson S, Dunn C, Laughter A, Yoon L, Swanson C, Stulnig T, et al. Overlapping transcriptional programs regulated by the nuclear receptors peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor alpha, retinoid X receptor, and liver X receptor in mouse liver. Mol Pharmacol. 2004;66:1440-52 pubmed
- Qin L, Li G, Qian X, Liu Y, Wu X, Liu B, et al. Interactive role of the toll-like receptor 4 and reactive oxygen species in LPS-induced microglia activation. Glia. 2005;52:78-84 pubmed
- Thayer K, Foster P. Workgroup report: National Toxicology Program workshop on Hormonally Induced Reproductive Tumors - Relevance of Rodent Bioassays. Environ Health Perspect. 2007;115:1351-6 pubmed..Breakout group reports and additional information on the workshop, including participants, presentations, public comments and background materials, are posted on the NTP website. ..
- Scott G, Ray M, Ward T, McCann K, Peddada S, Jiang F, et al. Abnormal glucose metabolism in heterozygous mutant mice for a type I receptor required for BMP signaling. Genesis. 2009;47:385-91 pubmed publisher..Together, our data suggest that BMP signaling through BMPRIA plays an important role in glucose metabolism and possibly working through the GSIS pathway. ..
- Sanders A, Stehle J, Blanks M, Riedlinger G, Kim Shapiro J, Monjazeb A, et al. Cancer resistance of SR/CR mice in the genetic knockout backgrounds of leukocyte effector mechanisms: determinations for functional requirements. BMC Cancer. 2010;10:121 pubmed publisher..These results also indicate that some other effector mechanism(s) of granulocytes may be involved in the killing of cancer cells in SR/CR mice. ..
- Lannan E, Galliher Beckley A, Scoltock A, Cidlowski J. Proinflammatory actions of glucocorticoids: glucocorticoids and TNF? coregulate gene expression in vitro and in vivo. Endocrinology. 2012;153:3701-12 pubmed publisher..This discovery may underlie the basis of some of the adverse effects associated with long-term glucocorticoid therapy. ..
- Geraldi N, Macreadie P. Restricting prey dispersal can overestimate the importance of predation in trophic cascades. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e55100 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that the relative contribution of behavior and consumption in food chain dynamics will depend on which predator-avoidance behaviors are allowed to occur and measured. ..
- Recio L, Phillips S, Maynor T, Waters M, Jackson A, Yauk C. Differential expression of long noncoding RNAs in the livers of female B6C3F1 mice exposed to the carcinogen furan. Toxicol Sci. 2013;135:369-79 pubmed publisher..In addition, certain lncRNA transcripts are associated with the expression of nearby coding protein genes. We hypothesize that lncRNAs have potential as epigenetic biomarkers of carcinogenic exposures. ..
- Voelker R, Gibson W, Graves J, Sterling J, Eisenberg M. The Drosophila suppressor of sable gene encodes a polypeptide with regions similar to those of RNA-binding proteins. Mol Cell Biol. 1991;11:894-905 pubmed..That the su(s) protein has regions similar in structure to RNA-processing protein is consistent with its known role in affecting the transcript levels of those alleles that it suppresses. ..
- Jahnke G, Miller M, Martinez A, Montuenga L, Cuttitta F. Adrenomedullin expression in the mouse mammary gland: evidence for the mature form in milk. J Mol Endocrinol. 1997;19:279-89 pubmed..These data suggest a potential role for AM and its receptor in the maintenance of mammary gland homeostasis and suggests a potential role for AM in development of the newborn. ..
- Abbott B, Schmid J, Brown J, Wood C, White R, Buckalew A, et al. RT-PCR quantification of AHR, ARNT, GR, and CYP1A1 mRNA in craniofacial tissues of embryonic mice exposed to 2,3,7,8-tetrachlorodibenzo-p-dioxin and hydrocortisone. Toxicol Sci. 1999;47:76-85 pubmed
- Dieleman L, Goerres M, Arends A, Sprengers D, Torrice C, Hoentjen F, et al. Lactobacillus GG prevents recurrence of colitis in HLA-B27 transgenic rats after antibiotic treatment. Gut. 2003;52:370-6 pubmed..These studies suggest that antibiotics and probiotic agents provide synergistic therapeutic effects, perhaps mediated by altered immunomodulation with selective activity of different lactobacillus species. ..
- Leslie E, Haimeur A, Waalkes M. Arsenic transport by the human multidrug resistance protein 1 (MRP1/ABCC1). Evidence that a tri-glutathione conjugate is required. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:32700-8 pubmed..Finally, human MRP2 also transported As(GS)(3). In conclusion, MRP1 transports inorganic arsenic as a tri-GSH conjugate, and GSTP1-1 may have a synergistic role in this process. ..
- McAllister K, Houle C, Malphurs J, Ward T, Collins N, Gersch W, et al. Spontaneous and irradiation-induced tumor susceptibility in BRCA2 germline mutant mice and cooperative effects with a p53 germline mutation. Toxicol Pathol. 2006;34:187-98 pubmed..In addition, these findings include extensive in vivo data demonstrating that germline Brca2 and p53 mutations cooperatively affect animal survivals, tumor susceptibilities, and tumor onsets. ..
- Benbrahim Tallaa L, Tokar E, Diwan B, Dill A, Coppin J, Waalkes M. Cadmium malignantly transforms normal human breast epithelial cells into a basal-like phenotype. Environ Health Perspect. 2009;117:1847-52 pubmed publisher..Direct cadmium induction of a malignant phenotype in human breast epithelial cells strongly fortifies a potential role in breast cancer. ..
- Lee C, Imig J, Edin M, Foley J, Degraff L, Bradbury J, et al. Endothelial expression of human cytochrome P450 epoxygenases lowers blood pressure and attenuates hypertension-induced renal injury in mice. FASEB J. 2010;24:3770-81 pubmed publisher..We conclude that endothelial CYP epoxygenase function contributes to the regulation of blood pressure. ..
- Churchill S, Morgan D, Kissling G, Travlos G, King Herbert A. Impact of Environmental Enrichment Devices on NTP In Vivo Studies. Toxicol Pathol. 2016;44:233-45 pubmed publisher..There was no significant impact on commonly measured end points in HSD rats and B6C3F1/N mice given enrichment devices. ..
- Chapin R, Phelps J, Burka L, Abou Donia M, Heindel J. The effects of tri-o-cresyl phosphate and metabolites on rat Sertoli cell function in primary culture. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 1991;108:194-204 pubmed..These in vitro experiments replicate previously observed in vivo biochemical effects and suggest that SCOTP is the metabolite responsible for at least some of the biochemical effects seen in the testis after TOCP exposure. ..