Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on animals in New York, United States
Locale: New York, United States
- Manu -, Surkova S, Spirov A, Gursky V, Janssens H, Kim A, et al. Canalization of gene expression and domain shifts in the Drosophila blastoderm by dynamical attractors. PLoS Comput Biol. 2009;5:e1000303 pubmed publisher..The result confirms the idea that attractors are important for developmental stability and shows a richer variety of dynamical attractors in developmental systems than has been previously recognized...
- Kon N, Kobayashi Y, Li M, Brooks C, Ludwig T, Gu W. Inactivation of HAUSP in vivo modulates p53 function. Oncogene. 2010;29:1270-9 pubmed publisher..These data show that Hausp has a critical role in regulating the p53-Mdm2 pathway. ..
- Mohandas N, Chasis J. The erythroid niche: molecular processes occurring within erythroblastic islands. Transfus Clin Biol. 2010;17:110-1 pubmed publisher..Hence, it appears that abnormal protein sorting generates specific protein deficiencies in hereditary elliptocytosis and hereditary spherocytosis...
- Patel M, Patel C, Rajashekara V, Yoburn B. Opioid agonists differentially regulate mu-opioid receptors and trafficking proteins in vivo. Mol Pharmacol. 2002;62:1464-70 pubmed..Finally, the decrease in DYN-2 mRNA may be related to stabilization of DYN-2 protein abundance, which might inhibit transcription. ..
- Hardy M, Sharma R, Arambepola N, Sottas C, Russell L, Bunick D, et al. Increased proliferation of Leydig cells induced by neonatal hypothyroidism in the rat. J Androl. 1996;17:231-8 pubmed..Alternatively, the increased Sertoli cell population that results from PTU treatment could also stimulate increased Leydig cell proliferation, or both of these mechanisms could contribute to the Leydig cell increase. ..
- Ozcan L, Cristina de Souza J, Harari A, Backs J, Olson E, Tabas I. Activation of calcium/calmodulin-dependent protein kinase II in obesity mediates suppression of hepatic insulin signaling. Cell Metab. 2013;18:803-15 pubmed publisher..These findings increase our understanding of the molecular mechanisms linking obesity to selective insulin resistance and suggest new therapeutic targets for type 2 diabetes and metabolic syndrome. ..
- Elder G, Friedrich V, Margita A, Lazzarini R. Age-related atrophy of motor axons in mice deficient in the mid-sized neurofilament subunit. J Cell Biol. 1999;146:181-92 pubmed..These studies argue that neurofilaments are necessary for the structural maintenance of some populations of axons during aging and that the NF-M subunit is especially critical. ..
- Yuferov V, Kroslak T, LaForge K, Zhou Y, Ho A, Kreek M. Differential gene expression in the rat caudate putamen after "binge" cocaine administration: advantage of triplicate microarray analysis. Synapse. 2003;48:157-69 pubmed..These results demonstrate the potential of microarrays in profiling gene expression with > or =40% increase or > or =14% decrease in mRNA levels for discovery of novel cocaine-responsive genes. ..
- Goldring M, Marcu K. Cartilage homeostasis in health and rheumatic diseases. Arthritis Res Ther. 2009;11:224 pubmed publisher..This review will cover current knowledge about the specific cellular and biochemical mechanisms that regulate cartilage homeostasis and pathology. ..
- Curotto de Lafaille M, Kutchukhidze N, Shen S, Ding Y, Yee H, Lafaille J. Adaptive Foxp3+ regulatory T cell-dependent and -independent control of allergic inflammation. Immunity. 2008;29:114-26 pubmed publisher..Thus, whereas adaptive Foxp3(+) Treg cells regulate sensitization to allergens and the severity of chronic inflammation, IFN-gamma-producing cells can play a beneficial role in inflammatory conditions involving eosinophils...
- Guan Y, Louis E, Zheng W. Toxicokinetics of tremorogenic natural products, harmane and harmine, in male Sprague-Dawley rats. J Toxicol Environ Health A. 2001;64:645-60 pubmed..These results suggest that harmane is absorbed into the systemic circulation more completely than harmine. Upon entering the body, harmane can be metabolized to form harmine; the latter may better distribute to the tissue compartment. ..
- Faust P, Hatten M. Targeted deletion of the PEX2 peroxisome assembly gene in mice provides a model for Zellweger syndrome, a human neuronal migration disorder. J Cell Biol. 1997;139:1293-305 pubmed..These findings demonstrate that mice with a PEX2 gene deletion have a peroxisomal disorder and provide an important model to study the role of peroxisomal function in the pathogenesis of this human disease. ..
- Johnson M, McCormack R, Delgado M, Martinez C, Ganea D. Murine T-lymphocytes express vasoactive intestinal peptide receptor 1 (VIP-R1) mRNA. J Neuroimmunol. 1996;68:109-19 pubmed
- Hohfeld J, Minami Y, Hartl F. Hip, a novel cochaperone involved in the eukaryotic Hsc70/Hsp40 reaction cycle. Cell. 1995;83:589-98 pubmed..We propose a mechanism for the regulation of eukaryotic Hsc70 that is distinct from that of bacterial Hsp70. The Hsc70/Hsp40/Hip system is apparently independent of a GrpE-like nucleotide exchange factor. ..
- Manyweathers J, Field H, Longnecker N, Agho K, Smith C, Taylor M. "Why won't they just vaccinate?" Horse owner risk perception and uptake of the Hendra virus vaccine. BMC Vet Res. 2017;13:103 pubmed publisher..Interactions and trust between veterinarians and animal owners has important implications for management of and communication around Hendra virus and other zoonotic disease outbreaks. ..
- Li G, He F, Shao X, Urano M, Shen L, Kim D, et al. Adenovirus-mediated heat-activated antisense Ku70 expression radiosensitizes tumor cells in vitro and in vivo. Cancer Res. 2003;63:3268-74 pubmed..Taken together, our results suggest that adenovirus-mediated, heat-activated antisense Ku70 expression may provide a novel approach to radiosensitize human tumors...
- Ayello J, van de Ven C, Fortino W, Wade Harris C, Satwani P, Baxi L, et al. Characterization of cord blood natural killer and lymphokine activated killer lymphocytes following ex vivo cellular engineering. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant. 2006;12:608-22 pubmed..005, respectively). These data suggest that cryopreserved CB cells could be ex vivo engineered for potential use as adoptive cancer cellular immunotherapy for donor lymphocyte infusion after CBT. ..
- Kroslak T, LaForge K, Gianotti R, Ho A, Nielsen D, Kreek M. The single nucleotide polymorphism A118G alters functional properties of the human mu opioid receptor. J Neurochem. 2007;103:77-87 pubmed..In contrast, transiently expressed variant receptors showed only a minor difference in cell surface binding capacity compared to the prototype, and no differences in cAMP EC(50) values. ..
- Reina San Martin B, Nussenzweig M, Nussenzweig A, Difilippantonio S. Genomic instability, endoreduplication, and diminished Ig class-switch recombination in B cells lacking Nbs1. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005;102:1590-5 pubmed..Our findings reveal that Nbs1 is critical for efficient Ig CSR and maintenance of the integrity of chromosomal structure and number. ..
- Dahmane N, Ruiz i Altaba A. Sonic hedgehog regulates the growth and patterning of the cerebellum. Development. 1999;126:3089-100 pubmed..In addition, they provide a cellular context for medulloblastomas, childhood cancers of the cerebellum. ..
- Moyron Quiroz J, Rangel Moreno J, Kusser K, Hartson L, Sprague F, Goodrich S, et al. Role of inducible bronchus associated lymphoid tissue (iBALT) in respiratory immunity. Nat Med. 2004;10:927-34 pubmed..Thus, iBALT functions as an inducible secondary lymphoid tissue for respiratory immune responses. ..
- Lees Miller S, Anderson C. Two human 90-kDa heat shock proteins are phosphorylated in vivo at conserved serines that are phosphorylated in vitro by casein kinase II. J Biol Chem. 1989;264:2431-7 pubmed..Dephosphorylated hsp 90 is phosphorylated at both sites by casein kinase II from HeLa cells, calf thymus, or rabbit reticulocytes; no other hsp 90 residues were phosphorylated by casein kinase II in vitro. ..
- Nakano Kobayashi A, Kasri N, Newey S, Van Aelst L. The Rho-linked mental retardation protein OPHN1 controls synaptic vesicle endocytosis via endophilin A1. Curr Biol. 2009;19:1133-9 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that defects in efficient SV retrieval may contribute to the pathogenesis of OPHN1-linked cognitive impairment. ..
- Yang X, Ai W, Asfaha S, Bhagat G, Friedman R, Jin G, et al. Histamine deficiency promotes inflammation-associated carcinogenesis through reduced myeloid maturation and accumulation of CD11b+Ly6G+ immature myeloid cells. Nat Med. 2011;17:87-95 pubmed publisher..These data indicate key roles for Hdc and histamine in myeloid cell differentiation and CD11b(+)Ly6G(+) IMCs in early cancer development...
- Ullman E, Pan J, Zong W. Squamous cell carcinoma antigen 1 promotes caspase-8-mediated apoptosis in response to endoplasmic reticulum stress while inhibiting necrosis induced by lysosomal injury. Mol Cell Biol. 2011;31:2902-19 pubmed publisher..Hence, on one hand, SCCA1 inhibits cell death induced by lysosomal injury while, on the other hand, it sensitizes cells to ER stress by activating caspase-8 independently of the death receptor apoptotic pathway. ..
- Lin X, Gelman I. Calmodulin and cyclin D anchoring sites on the Src-suppressed C kinase substrate, SSeCKS. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2002;290:1368-75 pubmed..These data suggest that the scaffolding activities of SSeCKS are modulated by mitogenically stimulated kinases such as PKC. ..
- Brasch J, Harrison O, Ahlsen G, Liu Q, Shapiro L. Crystal structure of the ligand binding domain of netrin G2. J Mol Biol. 2011;414:723-34 pubmed publisher..These results reveal the minimal binding unit for interaction of netrin Gs with NGLs, define structural features specific to netrin Gs, and suggest that netrin G alternative splicing is not involved in NGL recognition. ..
- Roussos P, Katsel P, Davis K, Giakoumaki S, Lencz T, Malhotra A, et al. Convergent findings for abnormalities of the NF-?B signaling pathway in schizophrenia. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2013;38:533-9 pubmed publisher..These findings implicate abnormalities of the NF-?B signaling pathway in SZ and provide evidence for an additional possible mechanism affecting the translocation of NF-?B signaling to the nucleus. ..
- Wiczling P, Ait Oudhia S, Krzyzanski W. Flow cytometric analysis of reticulocyte maturation after erythropoietin administration in rats. Cytometry A. 2009;75:584-92 pubmed publisher..Flow cytometric analysis of RET age distribution expands our understanding of erythropoiesis and augments the information we can obtain from RET measurements. ..
- Baker N, Li W. Cell competition and its possible relation to cancer. Cancer Res. 2008;68:5505-7 pubmed publisher..Here, we discuss the possible relevance of cell competition to cancer. ..
- Falkowska E, Kajumo F, Garcia E, Reinus J, Dragic T. Hepatitis C virus envelope glycoprotein E2 glycans modulate entry, CD81 binding, and neutralization. J Virol. 2007;81:8072-9 pubmed..Our results show that HCV envelope-associated glycans play a crucial role in masking functionally important regions of E2 and suggest a new strategy for eliciting highly neutralizing antibodies against this virus. ..
- Hirsch J, Aggarwal A. Structure of the even-skipped homeodomain complexed to AT-rich DNA: new perspectives on homeodomain specificity. EMBO J. 1995;14:6280-91 pubmed..In addition, the functionally important residue Gln50 is observed in multiple conformations making direct and water-mediated hydrogen bonds with the DNA bases. ..
- Bermudez V, Farina A, Tappin I, Hurwitz J. Influence of the human cohesion establishment factor Ctf4/AND-1 on DNA replication. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:9493-505 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that in human cells, hCtf4 plays an essential role in DNA replication and its ability to stimulate the replicative DNA polymerases may contribute to this effect. ..
- Young J, Vogt T, Gross K, Khani S. A short, highly active photoreceptor-specific enhancer/promoter region upstream of the human rhodopsin kinase gene. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2003;44:4076-85 pubmed..The H1 element contributed substantially but not exclusively to the transcriptional activity of the region. The findings support a transcriptional basis for photoreceptor-specific expression of Rk. ..
- Carapau D, Mitchell R, Nacer A, Shaw A, Othoro C, Frevert U, et al. Protective humoral immunity elicited by a needle-free malaria vaccine comprised of a chimeric Plasmodium falciparum circumsporozoite protein and a Toll-like receptor 5 agonist, flagellin. Infect Immun. 2013;81:4350-62 pubmed publisher..n. immunization with a flagellin-modified P. falciparum CS protein and raise the potential of a scalable, safe, needle-free vaccine for the 40% of the world's population at risk of malaria. ..
- Merkel M, Velez Carrasco W, Hudgins L, Breslow J. Compared with saturated fatty acids, dietary monounsaturated fatty acids and carbohydrates increase atherosclerosis and VLDL cholesterol levels in LDL receptor-deficient, but not apolipoprotein E-deficient, mice. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2001;98:13294-9 pubmed
- Bazzi H, Kljuic A, Christiano A, Panteleyev A. Intragenic deletion in the Desmoglein 4 gene underlies the skin phenotype in the Iffa Credo "hairless" rat. Differentiation. 2004;72:450-64 pubmed..Our results elucidate the genetic and morphological basis of the IC rat mutation, thus providing a new model to study molecular mechanisms of hair growth control. ..
- Bae G, Yang Y, Jiang G, Hong M, Lee H, Tessier Lavigne M, et al. Neogenin regulates skeletal myofiber size and focal adhesion kinase and extracellular signal-regulated kinase activities in vivo and in vitro. Mol Biol Cell. 2009;20:4920-31 pubmed publisher..Together, netrin-neogenin signaling is an important extracellular cue in regulation of myogenic differentiation and myofiber size. ..
- Styer L, Bernard K, Kramer L. Enhanced early West Nile virus infection in young chickens infected by mosquito bite: effect of viral dose. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2006;75:337-45 pubmed..The likelihood that enhanced early infection in mosquito-infected chickens is due to a higher viral dose inoculated by mosquitoes and/or other factors (saliva, inoculation location, or viral source) is discussed. ..
- Morishita A, Zaidi M, Mitoro A, Sankarasharma D, Szabolcs M, Okada Y, et al. HMGA2 is a driver of tumor metastasis. Cancer Res. 2013;73:4289-99 pubmed publisher..Together our results argued that HMGA2 plays a critical role in EMT by activating the TGF? signaling pathway, thereby inducing invasion and metastasis of human epithelial cancers. ..
- Morrissey A, Parachuru L, Leung M, Lopez G, Nakamura T, Tong X, et al. Expression of ATP-sensitive K+ channel subunits during perinatal maturation in the mouse heart. Pediatr Res. 2005;58:185-92 pubmed..Our data suggest that the K(ATP) channel composition may change during maturation, which has important implications for K(ATP) channel function in the developing heart...
- Zhang X, Fugere M, Day R, Kielian M. Furin processing and proteolytic activation of Semliki Forest virus. J Virol. 2003;77:2981-9 pubmed..However, the in vivo infectivity of mutant L was more strongly inhibited than that of wt/p62, due to additional effects of the mutation on virus-cell binding...
- Dun W, Lowe J, Wright P, Hund T, Mohler P, Boyden P. Ankyrin-G participates in INa remodeling in myocytes from the border zones of infarcted canine heart. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e78087 pubmed publisher..Gap and mechanical junctional proteins remodel in IZPCs early, perhaps to help maintain Nav1.5 subcellular location position and preserve its function soon after myocardial infarction. ..
- Yuan B, Fassati A, Yueh A, Goff S. Characterization of Moloney murine leukemia virus p12 mutants blocked during early events of infection. J Virol. 2002;76:10801-10 pubmed
- Stolfi R, Colofiore J, Nord L, Koutcher J, Martin D. Biochemical modulation of tumor cell energy: regression of advanced spontaneous murine breast tumors with a 5-fluorouracil-containing drug combination. Cancer Res. 1992;52:4074-81 pubmed
- Chaanine A, Gordon R, Kohlbrenner E, Benard L, Jeong D, Hajjar R. Potential role of BNIP3 in cardiac remodeling, myocardial stiffness, and endoplasmic reticulum: mitochondrial calcium homeostasis in diastolic and systolic heart failure. Circ Heart Fail. 2013;6:572-83 pubmed publisher..However, SERCA2a downregulation remains a prerequisite for the major LV remodeling seen in systolic HF. ..
- Lees Miller J, Helfman D. The molecular basis for tropomyosin isoform diversity. Bioessays. 1991;13:429-37 pubmed..In multicellular animals, they exhibit extensive cell type specific isoform diversity. In this essay we discuss the genetic mechanisms by which this diversity is generated and its possible significance to cellular function...
- Anczukow O, Rosenberg A, Akerman M, Das S, Zhan L, Karni R, et al. The splicing factor SRSF1 regulates apoptosis and proliferation to promote mammary epithelial cell transformation. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2012;19:220-8 pubmed publisher..Thus, SRSF1 can promote breast cancer, and SRSF1 itself or its downstream effectors may be valuable targets for the development of therapeutics. ..
- Siekhaus D, Haesemeyer M, Moffitt O, Lehmann R. RhoL controls invasion and Rap1 localization during immune cell transmigration in Drosophila. Nat Cell Biol. 2010;12:605-10 pubmed publisher..Our work establishes the utility of Drosophila for identifying novel components of immune cell transmigration and for understanding the in vivo interplay of immune cells with the barriers they penetrate. ..
- True J, Yeh S, Hovemann B, Kemme T, Meinertzhagen I, Edwards T, et al. Drosophila tan encodes a novel hydrolase required in pigmentation and vision. PLoS Genet. 2005;1:e63 pubmed publisher..This is, to our knowledge, the first molecular genetic characterization of NBAD hydrolase and carcinine hydrolase activity in any organism and is central to the understanding of pigmentation and photoreceptor function...
- Ebersole B, Visiers I, Weinstein H, Sealfon S. Molecular basis of partial agonism: orientation of indoleamine ligands in the binding pocket of the human serotonin 5-HT2A receptor determines relative efficacy. Mol Pharmacol. 2003;63:36-43 pubmed
- Shaw P, Edigkaufer M, Doehmer J, Adesnik M. Sequence of the rat PB-inducible CYP2B1 promoter. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1996;1305:54-8 pubmed..Transient transfection experiments in the differentiated hepatoma cell line, FGC4, showed that the 3.9 kb promoter was expressed, however, an increase in reporter activity was not observed in the presence of phenobarbital. ..
- Ibanez B, Cimmino G, Prat Gonzalez S, Vilahur G, Hutter R, Garcia M, et al. The cardioprotection granted by metoprolol is restricted to its administration prior to coronary reperfusion. Int J Cardiol. 2011;147:428-32 pubmed publisher..We also studied the effect on suspected markers of reperfusion injury...
- Subramanian M, Thorp E, Hansson G, Tabas I. Treg-mediated suppression of atherosclerosis requires MYD88 signaling in DCs. J Clin Invest. 2013;123:179-88 pubmed publisher..In the absence of MYD88 signaling in CD11c+ DCs, the loss of this protective Treg response trumps the loss of proatherogenic T effector cell activation. ..
- Tian W, Feng B, Liou H. Silencing OCILRP2 leads to intrinsic defects in T cells in response to antigenic stimulation. Cell Immunol. 2005;235:72-84 pubmed..The observation that OCILRP2 is involved in TCR capping and cytoskeletal organization suggests that OCILRP2-NKRP1f may facilitate lipid rafts and immunological synapse formation during T cell interaction with antigen presenting cells. ..
- Killian D, Hubbard E. C. elegans pro-1 activity is required for soma/germline interactions that influence proliferation and differentiation in the germ line. Development. 2004;131:1267-78 pubmed..Our results provide a handle for further analysis of this soma-to-germline interaction. ..
- Langston C. Acute renal failure caused by lily ingestion in six cats. J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2002;220:49-52, 36 pubmed..Although the prognosis for full recovery of cats with lily toxicosis is poor, long-term survival is possible with supportive care. The prognosis appears to be better for cats with nonoliguric renal failure...
- Imredy J, MacKinnon R. Energetic and structural interactions between delta-dendrotoxin and a voltage-gated potassium channel. J Mol Biol. 2000;296:1283-94 pubmed..These results constrain the possible orientation of dendrotoxin with respect to the K(+) channel structure. We propose that dendrotoxin binds near the pore entryway but does not act as a physical plug. ..
- Villacorta Martin C, Craig A, Villanueva A. Divergent evolutionary trajectories in transplanted tumor models. Nat Genet. 2017;49:1565-1566 pubmed publisher..Human-derived tumor models are becoming popular in the context of personalized medicine, but a new study shows that these models could be less representative of primary tumors than previously thought, particularly when using late passages...