Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on animals in Massachusetts, United States
Locale: Massachusetts, United States
Publications373 found, 100 shown here
- Walensky L, Kung A, Escher I, Malia T, Barbuto S, Wright R, et al. Activation of apoptosis in vivo by a hydrocarbon-stapled BH3 helix. Science. 2004;305:1466-70 pubmed..Hydrocarbon stapling of native peptides may provide a useful strategy for experimental and therapeutic modulation of protein-protein interactions in many signaling pathways. ..
- Hainsworth A, Bermpohl D, Webb T, Darwish R, Fiskum G, Qiu J, et al. Expression of cellular FLICE inhibitory proteins (cFLIP) in normal and traumatic murine and human cerebral cortex. J Cereb Blood Flow Metab. 2005;25:1030-40 pubmed..The data suggest differential spatial and temporal regulation of cFLIP-alpha and cFLIP-delta expression that may influence the magnitude of cell death and further implicate programmed mechanisms of cell death after TBI. ..
- Kegel K, Sapp E, Yoder J, Cuiffo B, Sobin L, Kim Y, et al. Huntingtin associates with acidic phospholipids at the plasma membrane. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:36464-73 pubmed..Our data support a new model in which huntingtin directly binds membranes through electrostatic interactions with acidic phospholipids. ..
- Rivera M, Haber D. Wilms' tumour: connecting tumorigenesis and organ development in the kidney. Nat Rev Cancer. 2005;5:699-712 pubmed..Our understanding of the roles of WT1 in tumour formation and organogenesis have advanced in parallel, providing a striking example of the intersection between tumour biology, cellular differentiation and normal organogenesis. ..
- Robbins E, Betensky R, Domnitz S, Purcell S, Garcia Alloza M, Greenberg C, et al. Kinetics of cerebral amyloid angiopathy progression in a transgenic mouse model of Alzheimer disease. J Neurosci. 2006;26:365-71 pubmed..35% of total available vessel area per day (95% confidence interval, 0.3-0.4%). The consistent rate of disease progression implies that this model is amenable to investigations of therapeutic interventions. ..
- Mor S, Tzipori S. Cryptosporidiosis in children in Sub-Saharan Africa: a lingering challenge. Clin Infect Dis. 2008;47:915-21 pubmed publisher..Molecular targets from the recently sequenced parasite genome should be exploited to develop an effective and safe treatment for children. ..
- Hemond E, Vollmer S. Genetic diversity and connectivity in the threatened staghorn coral (Acropora cervicornis) in Florida. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e8652 pubmed publisher..cervicornis should focus on maintaining and managing populations locally rather than relying on larval inputs from elsewhere. ..
- Nephew B, Bridges R. Effects of chronic social stress during lactation on maternal behavior and growth in rats. Stress. 2011;14:677-84 pubmed publisher..These results support the use of CSS as a relevant model for disorders that impair maternal behavior and attenuate growth of the offspring, such as postpartum depression and anxiety. ..
- Miller J, Ding S, Sunkin S, Smith K, Ng L, Szafer A, et al. Transcriptional landscape of the prenatal human brain. Nature. 2014;508:199-206 pubmed publisher..These data provide a rich, freely-accessible resource for understanding human brain development. ..
- Maridas D, DeMambro V, Le P, Nagano K, Baron R, Mohan S, et al. IGFBP-4 regulates adult skeletal growth in a sex-specific manner. J Endocrinol. 2017;233:131-144 pubmed publisher..Thus, IGFBP-4 modulates the skeleton in a gender-specific manner, acting as both a cell autonomous and cell non-autonomous factor. ..
- Roberts F, Hupple C, Norowski E, Walsh N, Przewozniak N, Aryee K, et al. Possible type 1 diabetes risk prediction: Using ultrasound imaging to assess pancreas inflammation in the inducible autoimmune diabetes BBDR model. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0178641 pubmed publisher..Due to ultrasound's established use as a non-invasive diagnostic tool, it may prove useful in a clinical setting for type 1 diabetes risk prediction prior to autoimmunity and to assess the effectiveness of potential therapeutics. ..
- Gunderson J, Goss S, Sogin M. The sequence of the Hartmannella vermiformis small subunit rRNA coding region. J Eukaryot Microbiol. 1994;41:481-2 pubmed..The coding region is 1,840 nucleotides long, and is typical of eukaryotic rRNA genes in both size and composition. Different clones contained different nucleotides at three positions...
- Forde P, Scribner A, Dial R, Loscalzo J, Trolliet M. Prevention of hypertension and renal dysfunction in Dahl rats by alpha-tocopherol. J Cardiovasc Pharmacol. 2003;42:82-8 pubmed
- Parks A, Stout J, Shepard S, Klueg K, Dos Santos A, Parody T, et al. Structure-function analysis of delta trafficking, receptor binding and signaling in Drosophila. Genetics. 2006;174:1947-61 pubmed
- Liu C, You Z, Liu C, Kim Y, Whalen M, Rosen B, et al. Diffusion-weighted magnetic resonance imaging reversal by gene knockdown of matrix metalloproteinase-9 activities in live animal brains. J Neurosci. 2009;29:3508-17 pubmed publisher..004, n = 6). These observations were not duplicated in the control group. We conclude that expression of mmp-9 mRNA is associated with abnormal ADC after GCI. ..
- Postler T, Martinez Navio J, Yuste E, Desrosiers R. Evidence against extracellular exposure of a highly immunogenic region in the C-terminal domain of the simian immunodeficiency virus gp41 transmembrane protein. J Virol. 2012;86:1145-57 pubmed publisher..Together, these data support the conventional model of SIV envelope as a type Ia transmembrane protein with a single membrane-spanning domain and without any extracellular loops...
- Brown Endres L, Schoenfeld D, Tian F, Kim H, Namba T, Munoz Fontela C, et al. Expression of the p53 target CDIP correlates with sensitivity to TNF?-induced apoptosis in cancer cells. Cancer Res. 2012;72:2373-82 pubmed publisher..This CDIP-mediated sensitivity to TNF?-induced apoptosis favors pro- over antiapoptotic program in cancer cells, and CDIP may serve as a predictive biomarker for such sensitivity. ..
- Moore M, der Hoop J, Barco S, Costidis A, Gulland F, Jepson P, et al. Criteria and case definitions for serious injury and death of pinnipeds and cetaceans caused by anthropogenic trauma. Dis Aquat Organ. 2013;103:229-64 pubmed publisher..These case criteria descriptions attempt to acknowledge those confounding factors to enable an appreciation of the significance of the observed human-derived trauma in that broader context where possible. ..
- Castagliuolo I, Lamont J, Letourneau R, Kelly C, O Keane J, Jaffer A, et al. Neuronal involvement in the intestinal effects of Clostridium difficile toxin A and Vibrio cholerae enterotoxin in rat ileum. Gastroenterology. 1994;107:657-65 pubmed..Neuronal mechanisms are important in the in vivo effects of these two enterotoxins. Capsaicin-sensitive sensory afferent neurons and mast cells are involved in the intestinal mechanism of toxin A, but not cholera toxin. ..
- Akiyoshi D, Denaro M, Zhu H, Greenstein J, Banerjee P, Fishman J. Identification of a full-length cDNA for an endogenous retrovirus of miniature swine. J Virol. 1998;72:4503-7 pubmed..The existence of these PERV clones will enable studies of infection by endogenous retroviruses in xenotransplantation. ..
- Froimowitz M, Wu K, Moussa A, Haidar R, Jurayj J, George C, et al. Slow-onset, long-duration 3-(3',4'-dichlorophenyl)-1-indanamine monoamine reuptake blockers as potential medications to treat cocaine abuse. J Med Chem. 2000;43:4981-92 pubmed..This is in contrast to the N-methyl compound in which only the (+)-enantiomer had significant activity. The absolute configuration of the more active enantiomer was determined by X-ray crystallography to be 3R,1S. ..
- Chiao C, Kelman E, Hanlon R. Disruptive body patterning of cuttlefish (Sepia officinalis) requires visual information regarding edges and contrast of objects in natural substrate backgrounds. Biol Bull. 2005;208:7-11 pubmed
- Kramer H, Witczak C, Taylor E, Fujii N, Hirshman M, Goodyear L. AS160 regulates insulin- and contraction-stimulated glucose uptake in mouse skeletal muscle. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:31478-85 pubmed..Our findings directly implicate AS160 as a critical convergence factor for independent stimulators of skeletal muscle glucose uptake. ..
- Yang G, Zhou B, Wang J, He X, Sun X, Nie W, et al. Expression of recombinant Clostridium difficile toxin A and B in Bacillus megaterium. BMC Microbiol. 2008;8:192 pubmed publisher..Major Clostridium difficile virulence factors are the exotoxins TcdA and TcdB. Due to the large size and poor stability of the proteins, the active recombinant TcdA and TcdB have been difficult to produce...
- Fujimoto S, Hartung D, Ohshima S, Edwards D, Zhou J, Yalamanchili P, et al. Molecular imaging of matrix metalloproteinase in atherosclerotic lesions: resolution with dietary modification and statin therapy. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2008;52:1847-1857 pubmed publisher..578, p < 0.0001) expression in plaques. The present data show the feasibility of noninvasive detection of MMP activity in atherosclerotic plaques, and confirm that dietary modification and statin therapy reduce MMP activity. ..
- Chen W, Goldfine H, Ananthanarayanan B, Cho W, Roberts M. Listeria monocytogenes phosphatidylinositol-specific phospholipase C: Kinetic activation and homing in on different interfaces. Biochemistry. 2009;48:3578-92 pubmed publisher..monocytogenes infectivity...
- Wu H, Hudry E, Hashimoto T, Kuchibhotla K, Rozkalne A, Fan Z, et al. Amyloid beta induces the morphological neurodegenerative triad of spine loss, dendritic simplification, and neuritic dystrophies through calcineurin activation. J Neurosci. 2010;30:2636-49 pubmed publisher..Thus, Abeta appears to mediate the neurodegeneration of AD, at least in part, by activation of CaN and subsequent NFAT-mediated downstream cascades...
- Goetz S, Steinberg D, Betts M, Holmes R, Doran P, Dubayah R, et al. Lidar remote sensing variables predict breeding habitat of a Neotropical migrant bird. Ecology. 2010;91:1569-76 pubmed
- Miller G. The emerging role of trace amine-associated receptor 1 in the functional regulation of monoamine transporters and dopaminergic activity. J Neurochem. 2011;116:164-76 pubmed publisher..This overview focuses on recent studies which reveal a role for TAAR1 in the functional regulation of monoamine transporters and the neuronal regulatory mechanisms that modulate dopaminergic activity. ..
- Speranza M, Kasai K, Lawler S. Preclinical Mouse Models for Analysis of the Therapeutic Potential of Engineered Oncolytic Herpes Viruses. ILAR J. 2016;57:63-72 pubmed publisher..This review will discuss existing data in this area, focusing on the mouse tumor models that are commonly used. ..
- Hayakawa K, Esposito E, Wang X, Terasaki Y, Liu Y, Xing C, et al. Transfer of mitochondria from astrocytes to neurons after stroke. Nature. 2016;535:551-5 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest a new mitochondrial mechanism of neuroglial crosstalk that may contribute to endogenous neuroprotective and neurorecovery mechanisms after stroke. ..
- Lee K, Li E, Huber L, Landis S, Sharpe A, Chao M, et al. Targeted mutation of the gene encoding the low affinity NGF receptor p75 leads to deficits in the peripheral sensory nervous system. Cell. 1992;69:737-49 pubmed..Our results suggest that p75NGFR has an important role in the development and function of sensory neurons. ..
- Wang Z, Morris D, Rothstein T. Constitutive and inducible levels of egr-1 and c-myc early growth response gene expression in self-renewing B-1 lymphocytes. Cell Immunol. 1995;162:309-14 pubmed
- Maranto A. Primary structure, ligand binding, and localization of the human type 3 inositol 1,4,5-trisphosphate receptor expressed in intestinal epithelium. J Biol Chem. 1994;269:1222-30 pubmed..The subcellular distribution and appearance of staining is consistent with localization on the endoplasmic reticulum, with the highest concentration of staining occurring adjacent to the apical brush border of villus cells. ..
- Nakajima T, Fukamizu A, Takahashi J, Gage F, Fisher T, Blenis J, et al. The signal-dependent coactivator CBP is a nuclear target for pp90RSK. Cell. 1996;86:465-74 pubmed..These results provide a demonstration of cross-coupling between two signaling pathways that occurs at the level of a signal-dependent coactivator. ..
- Bello S, Franks D, Stegeman J, Hahn M. Acquired resistance to Ah receptor agonists in a population of Atlantic killifish (Fundulus heteroclitus) inhabiting a marine superfund site: in vivo and in vitro studies on the inducibility of xenobiotic metabolizing enzymes. Toxicol Sci. 2001;60:77-91 pubmed..The resistance is systemic and pretranslational, and exhibits compound-specific differences in magnitude. These findings suggest an alteration in the AhR signal transduction pathway in NBH fish. ..
- Qiu J, Whalen M, Lowenstein P, Fiskum G, Fahy B, Darwish R, et al. Upregulation of the Fas receptor death-inducing signaling complex after traumatic brain injury in mice and humans. J Neurosci. 2002;22:3504-11 pubmed..These data suggest that Fas-associated DISCs assemble in neurons overexpressing Fas ligand as well as within mouse and human contused brain after TBI. Therefore, Fas may function as a death receptor after brain injury. ..
- Lynch M, Fitzgerald C, Johnston K, Wang S, Schmidt E. Activated eIF4E-binding protein slows G1 progression and blocks transformation by c-myc without inhibiting cell growth. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:3327-39 pubmed..It further identifies G(1) control by translation initiation factors as an essential genetic target of c-myc that is necessary for its ability to transform cells. ..
- Hong Y, Lange Asschenfeldt B, Velasco P, Hirakawa S, Kunstfeld R, Brown L, et al. VEGF-A promotes tissue repair-associated lymphatic vessel formation via VEGFR-2 and the alpha1beta1 and alpha2beta1 integrins. FASEB J. 2004;18:1111-3 pubmed
- Frasier D, Talka J. Facility design considerations for select agent animal research. ILAR J. 2005;46:23-33 pubmed
- Wang H, Kohno T, Amaya F, Brenner G, Ito N, Allchorne A, et al. Bradykinin produces pain hypersensitivity by potentiating spinal cord glutamatergic synaptic transmission. J Neurosci. 2005;25:7986-92 pubmed..We conclude that bradykinin is released in the spinal cord in response to nociceptor inputs and acts as a synaptic neuromodulator, potentiating glutamatergic synaptic transmission to produce pain hypersensitivity. ..
- Benn S, Ay I, Bastia E, Chian R, Celia S, Pepinsky R, et al. Tetanus toxin fragment C fusion facilitates protein delivery to CNS neurons from cerebrospinal fluid in mice. J Neurochem. 2005;95:1118-31 pubmed..These results indicate that TTC may serve as a useful prototype for development as a non-viral vehicle for improving delivery of therapeutic proteins to the CNS. ..
- Goshima G, Wollman R, Stuurman N, Scholey J, Vale R. Length control of the metaphase spindle. Curr Biol. 2005;15:1979-88 pubmed
- Bermpohl D, You Z, Korsmeyer S, Moskowitz M, Whalen M. Traumatic brain injury in mice deficient in Bid: effects on histopathology and functional outcome. J Cereb Blood Flow Metab. 2006;26:625-33 pubmed..The data show that Bid deficiency decreases early posttraumatic brain cell death and tissue damage, but does not reduce functional outcome deficits after CCI in mice. ..
- Thakur J, Arthanari H, Yang F, Pan S, Fan X, Breger J, et al. A nuclear receptor-like pathway regulating multidrug resistance in fungi. Nature. 2008;452:604-9 pubmed publisher..This detailed mechanistic understanding of a fungal nuclear receptor-like gene regulatory pathway provides novel therapeutic targets for the treatment of multidrug-resistant fungal infections. ..
- Sivarao D, Mashimo H, Goyal R. Pyloric sphincter dysfunction in nNOS-/- and W/Wv mutant mice: animal models of gastroparesis and duodenogastric reflux. Gastroenterology. 2008;135:1258-66 pubmed publisher..In nNOS(-/-) mice, loss of nitrergic pyloric inhibition leads to gastric stasis and bezoars. In contrast, basal pyloric hypotension with normal nitrergic inhibition predisposes W/W(v) mice to duodenogastric bile reflux. ..
- ..Regulation of expression of the gene encoding interleukin 10 by the histone deacetylase HDAC11 emphasizes the ability of an antigen-presenting cell to induce immunity or tolerance in CD4+ T cells. ..
- Bei M. Molecular genetics of ameloblast cell lineage. J Exp Zool B Mol Dev Evol. 2009;312B:437-44 pubmed publisher..In this review, we discuss the role of genes that play definitive role on the determination of ameloblast cell fate and life cycle based on studies in transgenic animals. ..
- Sakadzic S, Yuan S, Dilekoz E, Ruvinskaya S, Vinogradov S, Ayata C, et al. Simultaneous imaging of cerebral partial pressure of oxygen and blood flow during functional activation and cortical spreading depression. Appl Opt. 2009;48:D169-77 pubmed..This new instrument will enable further study of neurovascular coupling in normal and diseased brain. ..
- de Calignon A, Spires Jones T, Pitstick R, Carlson G, Hyman B. Tangle-bearing neurons survive despite disruption of membrane integrity in a mouse model of tauopathy. J Neuropathol Exp Neurol. 2009;68:757-61 pubmed publisher..This unique combination of in vivo multiphoton imaging with markers of cell death and pathological alteration is a powerful tool for investigating neuronal damage associated with neurofibrillary pathology. ..
- Hügler M, Petersen J, Dubilier N, Imhoff J, Sievert S. Pathways of carbon and energy metabolism of the epibiotic community associated with the deep-sea hydrothermal vent shrimp Rimicaris exoculata. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e16018 pubmed publisher..In its enlarged gill chamber it harbors a specialized epibiotic bacterial community for which a nutritional role has been proposed...
- Sips P, Irie T, Zou L, Shinozaki S, Sakai M, Shimizu N, et al. Reduction of cardiomyocyte S-nitrosylation by S-nitrosoglutathione reductase protects against sepsis-induced myocardial depression. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2013;304:H1134-46 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that specifically reducing protein S-nitrosylation during sepsis improves cardiac function by increasing cardiac myofilament sensitivity to Ca(2+). ..
- Simister N, Mostov K. An Fc receptor structurally related to MHC class I antigens. Nature. 1989;337:184-7 pubmed..This is the first time a function has been assigned to an MHC antigen-related molecule. ..
- Yang J, Hynes R. Fibronectin receptor functions in embryonic cells deficient in alpha 5 beta 1 integrin can be replaced by alpha V integrins. Mol Biol Cell. 1996;7:1737-48 pubmed..Finally, our data suggested possible roles for alpha V integrins in replacing the role of alpha 5 beta 1 in FN matrix assembly in vitro and in FN-dependent embryonic functions in vivo. ..
- Berul C, Christe M, Aronovitz M, Seidman C, Seidman J, Mendelsohn M. Electrophysiological abnormalities and arrhythmias in alpha MHC mutant familial hypertrophic cardiomyopathy mice. J Clin Invest. 1997;99:570-6 pubmed
- Alexander E, Shih T, Schwartz J. H+ secretion is inhibited by clostridial toxins in an inner medullary collecting duct cell line. Am J Physiol. 1997;273:F1054-7 pubmed..Furthermore, we showed that these toxins markedly inhibit the capacity of these cells to realkalinize after an acid load. Thus these data provide new insight into the mechanism for H+ secretion in the IMCD. ..
- Frimberger A, Moore A, Cincotta L, Cotter S, Foley J. Photodynamic therapy of naturally occurring tumors in animals using a novel benzophenothiazine photosensitizer. Clin Cancer Res. 1998;4:2207-18 pubmed..5 days) without residual photosensitization. EtNBS-PDT is safe for dogs and cats and has activity against selected naturally occurring tumors, with an overall objective response rate (partial response + CR) of 61.5%. ..
- Ramirez M, Chung U, Williams M. Aquaporin-5 expression, but not other peripheral lung marker genes, is reduced in PTH/PTHrP receptor null mutant fetal mice. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 2000;22:367-72 pubmed..We conclude therefore that, although signaling through this receptor may influence expression of specific lung genes, it does not play a major role in the general regulation of lung development and growth. ..
- Wang X, Jung J, Asahi M, Chwang W, Russo L, Moskowitz M, et al. Effects of matrix metalloproteinase-9 gene knock-out on morphological and motor outcomes after traumatic brain injury. J Neurosci. 2000;20:7037-42 pubmed
- Zhu B, Ramachandran B, Gulick T. Alternative pre-mRNA splicing governs expression of a conserved acidic transactivation domain in myocyte enhancer factor 2 factors of striated muscle and brain. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:28749-60 pubmed..Thus, a conserved pattern of alternative splicing in vertebrate MEF2 genes generates an acidic activation domain in MEF2 proteins selectively in tissues where MEF2 target genes are highly expressed. ..
- Jönsson M, Jenny M, Woodin B, Hahn M, Stegeman J. Role of AHR2 in the expression of novel cytochrome P450 1 family genes, cell cycle genes, and morphological defects in developing zebra fish exposed to 3,3',4,4',5-pentachlorobiphenyl or 2,3,7,8-tetrachlorodibenzo-p-dioxin. Toxicol Sci. 2007;100:180-93 pubmed..Moreover, the developmental patterns of expression and induction suggest that CYP1 enzymes could function in normal development and in developmental toxicity of PCB126 in fish embryos. ..
- Parks A, Shalaby N, Muskavitch M. Notch and suppressor of Hairless regulate levels but not patterns of Delta expression in Drosophila. Genesis. 2008;46:265-75 pubmed publisher..We conclude that Notch pathway feedback regulation is unlikely to contribute to the generation of complementary patterns in the contexts examined. ..
- Komatsu H, Chao M, Larkins Ford J, Corkins M, Somers G, Tucey T, et al. OSM-11 facilitates LIN-12 Notch signaling during Caenorhabditis elegans vulval development. PLoS Biol. 2008;6:e196 pubmed publisher..We hypothesize that C. elegans OSM-11 and homologous proteins act as coactivators for Notch receptors, allowing precise regulation of Notch receptor signaling in developmental programs in both vertebrates and invertebrates. ..
- Valencia A, Reeves P, Sapp E, Li X, Alexander J, Kegel K, et al. Mutant huntingtin and glycogen synthase kinase 3-beta accumulate in neuronal lipid rafts of a presymptomatic knock-in mouse model of Huntington's disease. J Neurosci Res. 2010;88:179-90 pubmed publisher..We speculate that accumulation of mutant huntingtin and glycogen synthase kinase 3-beta in lipid rafts of presymptomatic Huntington's disease mouse neurons contributes to neurodegeneration in Huntington's disease. ..
- Wang L, Harrington L, Trebicka E, Shi H, Kagan J, Hong C, et al. Selective modulation of TLR4-activated inflammatory responses by altered iron homeostasis in mice. J Clin Invest. 2009;119:3322-8 pubmed publisher..Thus, manipulation of iron homeostasis could represent a new therapeutic approach to controlling inflammation. ..
- Steele J, Feng H, Parry N, Tzipori S. Piglet models of acute or chronic Clostridium difficile illness. J Infect Dis. 2010;201:428-34 pubmed publisher..difficile mimic many of the key characteristics observed in humans with CDI and are suitable animals in which to investigate the role played by virulence attributes, drug efficacy, and vaccine candidates. ..
- Zhang C, Browne A, Child D, Divito J, Stevenson J, Tanzi R. Loss of function of ATXN1 increases amyloid beta-protein levels by potentiating beta-secretase processing of beta-amyloid precursor protein. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:8515-26 pubmed publisher..Taken together, ATXN1 functions as a genetic risk modifier that contributes to AD pathogenesis through a loss-of-function mechanism by regulating beta-secretase cleavage of APP and Abeta levels. ..
- Liu M, Blanco Centurion C, Konadhode R, Begum S, Pelluru D, Gerashchenko D, et al. Orexin gene transfer into zona incerta neurons suppresses muscle paralysis in narcoleptic mice. J Neurosci. 2011;31:6028-40 pubmed publisher..In turn, the ZI projects to the locus ceruleus, indicating that the ZI is part of a circuit that stabilizes motor tone. Our results indicate that these neurons might also be recruited to block the muscle paralysis in narcolepsy. ..
- Hoffman A, Paxson J, Mazan M, Davis A, Tyagi S, Murthy S, et al. Lung-derived mesenchymal stromal cell post-transplantation survival, persistence, paracrine expression, and repair of elastase-injured lung. Stem Cells Dev. 2011;20:1779-92 pubmed publisher..This study demonstrates that tissue-specific L-MSCs possess mechanisms that enhance their lung retention after intravenous transplantation, and produce substantial healing of elastase injury comparable to BM-MSCs. ..
- Kinney S, Chin H, Vaisvila R, Bitinaite J, Zheng Y, Esteve P, et al. Tissue-specific distribution and dynamic changes of 5-hydroxymethylcytosine in mammalian genomes. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:24685-93 pubmed publisher..Finally, using a quantitative PCR approach, we established that a portion of VANGL1 and EGFR gene body methylation in human tissue DNA samples is indeed hydroxymethylation. ..
- Greka A, Mundel P. Cell biology and pathology of podocytes. Annu Rev Physiol. 2012;74:299-323 pubmed publisher..Although we attempt to be comprehensive, our goal is not to capture every membrane-mediated pathway but rather to emphasize that this approach may be fruitful in understanding the podocyte and its unique properties. ..
- Lau K, Cortez Retamozo V, Philips S, Pittet M, Lauffenburger D, Haigis K. Multi-scale in vivo systems analysis reveals the influence of immune cells on TNF-?-induced apoptosis in the intestinal epithelium. PLoS Biol. 2012;10:e1001393 pubmed publisher..In summary, we have uncovered a novel cellular network that regulates the response of intestinal epithelial cells to inflammatory stimuli in an in vivo setting. ..
- Chen E, Dobrinski K, Brown K, Clagg R, Edelman E, Ignatius M, et al. Cross-species array comparative genomic hybridization identifies novel oncogenic events in zebrafish and human embryonal rhabdomyosarcoma. PLoS Genet. 2013;9:e1003727 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate the utility of array CGH and cross-species comparisons to identify candidate oncogenes essential for the pathogenesis of human cancer...
- Glick D, Hellmich M, Beushausen S, Tempst P, Bayley H, Strumwasser F. Primary structure of a molluscan egg-specific NADase, a second-messenger enzyme. Cell Regul. 1991;2:211-8 pubmed publisher..85 kb. In situ hybridization analysis of cryostat sections from ovotestis has shown that the NADase mRNA is restricted to the immature ova, although the NADase protein is present in both immature and mature eggs...
- Friedlich A, Lee J, van Groen T, Cherny R, Volitakis I, Cole T, et al. Neuronal zinc exchange with the blood vessel wall promotes cerebral amyloid angiopathy in an animal model of Alzheimer's disease. J Neurosci. 2004;24:3453-9 pubmed..ZnT3 was not detected in the cerebral vessel walls or in blood components of wild-type mice. Thus, synaptic ZnT3 activity may promote CAA by indirectly raising exchangeable Zn2+ concentrations in the perivascular spaces of the brain. ..
- Longmore G, Lodish H. An activating mutation in the murine erythropoietin receptor induces erythroleukemia in mice: a cytokine receptor superfamily oncogene. Cell. 1991;67:1089-102 pubmed..The activated erythropoietin receptor does not transform cultured fibroblasts, suggesting why oncogenic mutations in other members of this receptor superfamily have not been detected. ..
- Lazarus H, Cruikshank W, Narasimhan N, Kagan H, Center D. Induction of human monocyte motility by lysyl oxidase. Matrix Biol. 1995;14:727-31 pubmed..These results raise the possibility that extracellular lysyl oxidase may have important roles to play in biology in addition to its established function in the crosslinking of elastin and collagen. ..
- Qiu Z, Strickland D, Hyman B, Rebeck G. alpha 2-Macroglobulin exposure reduces calcium responses to N-methyl-D-aspartate via low density lipoprotein receptor-related protein in cultured hippocampal neurons. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:14458-66 pubmed..These results suggest that alpha2M* can alter the neuronal response to excitatory neurotransmitters and that alpha2M* pretreatment selectively reduced the calcium responses to NMDA by down-regulating the NMDA receptor. ..
- Feng P, Park J, Lee B, Lee S, Bram R, Jung J. Kaposi's sarcoma-associated herpesvirus mitochondrial K7 protein targets a cellular calcium-modulating cyclophilin ligand to modulate intracellular calcium concentration and inhibit apoptosis. J Virol. 2002;76:11491-504 pubmed
- Wetzel R, Sweadner K. Phospholemman expression in extraglomerular mesangium and afferent arteriole of the juxtaglomerular apparatus. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2003;285:F121-9 pubmed..Phospholemman is a major kinase target, and its location in the juxtaglomerular apparatus suggests that it is involved in tubuloglomerular feedback. ..
- Srinivasan D, Fisk R, Xu H, van den Heuvel S. A complex of LIN-5 and GPR proteins regulates G protein signaling and spindle function in C elegans. Genes Dev. 2003;17:1225-39 pubmed..Results in C. elegans and other species are consistent with a novel model for receptor-independent activation of Galpha(i/o) signaling. ..
- Atochin D, Demchenko I, Astern J, Boso A, Piantadosi C, Huang P. Contributions of endothelial and neuronal nitric oxide synthases to cerebrovascular responses to hyperoxia. J Cereb Blood Flow Metab. 2003;23:1219-26 pubmed..These results suggest that modulation of eNOS-derived NO by HBO2 is responsible for the early vasoconstriction responses, whereas late HBO2-induced vasodilation depends upon both eNOS and nNOS. ..
- Kircher M, Mahmood U, King R, Weissleder R, Josephson L. A multimodal nanoparticle for preoperative magnetic resonance imaging and intraoperative optical brain tumor delineation. Cancer Res. 2003;63:8122-5 pubmed..This prototypical multimodal nanoparticle has unique properties that may allow radiologists and neurosurgeons to see the same probe in the same cells and may offer a new approach for obtaining tumor margins. ..
- Puglielli L, Friedlich A, Setchell K, Nagano S, Opazo C, Cherny R, et al. Alzheimer disease beta-amyloid activity mimics cholesterol oxidase. J Clin Invest. 2005;115:2556-63 pubmed..Cu2+-mediated oxidation of cholesterol may be a pathogenic mechanism common to atherosclerosis and AD. ..
- Spoelgen R, von Arnim C, Thomas A, Peltan I, Koker M, Deng A, et al. Interaction of the cytosolic domains of sorLA/LR11 with the amyloid precursor protein (APP) and beta-secretase beta-site APP-cleaving enzyme. J Neurosci. 2006;26:418-28 pubmed..We discovered that sorLA significantly reduced BACE-APP interactions in Golgi. We postulate that sorLA acts as a trafficking receptor that prevents BACE-APP interactions and hence BACE cleavage of APP. ..
- Chin H, Patnaik D, Esteve P, Jacobsen S, Pradhan S. Catalytic properties and kinetic mechanism of human recombinant Lys-9 histone H3 methyltransferase SUV39H1: participation of the chromodomain in enzymatic catalysis. Biochemistry. 2006;45:3272-84 pubmed..Thus, SUV39H1 utilizes both the chromodomain and the SET domain for catalysis. ..