Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on risk factors in Nottingham, England, United Kingdom
Locale: Nottingham, England, United Kingdom
Topic: risk factors
- McWilliams D, Doherty S, Maciewicz R, Muir K, Zhang W, Doherty M. Self-reported knee and foot alignments in early adult life and risk of osteoarthritis. Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2010;62:489-95 pubmed publisher..20 (95% CI 1.08-9.49). Constitutional alignment of the leg in terms of varus or valgus knee or foot rotation may be a significant factor in determining development and distribution of knee but not hip OA. ..
- Burwell R, Aujla R, Kirby A, Dangerfield P, Moulton A, Cole A, et al. Body mass index of girls in health influences menarche and skeletal maturation: a leptin-sympathetic nervous system focus on the trunk with hypothalamic asymmetric dysfunction in the pathogenesis of adolescent idiopathic scoliosis?. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2008;140:9-21 pubmed..Additional mechanisms acting in the spine and trunk may be required for AIS to progress including 1) somatic nervous system dysfunction, 2) biomechanical spinal growth modulation, and 3) osteopenia. ..
- Hawkey C, Weinstein W, Smalley W, Gitton X, Sallstig P, Stricker K, et al. Effect of risk factors on complicated and uncomplicated ulcers in the TARGET lumiracoxib outcomes study. Gastroenterology. 2007;133:57-64 pubmed..Lumiracoxib maintained an advantage over NSAIDs across all subgroups except aspirin use. Lumiracoxib was associated with a reduced risk of ulcer complications compared with NSAIDs in all significant subgroups except aspirin users. ..
- Deakin D, Boulton C, Moran C. Mortality and causes of death among patients with isolated limb and pelvic fractures. Injury. 2007;38:312-7 pubmed..Overall 30-day and 1-year mortalities were 4.5 and 13%, respectively. Increased mortality was associated with age, male gender and fractures of the femur or pelvis. ..
- Hubbard R, Tattersfield A, Smith C, West J, Smeeth L, Fletcher A. Use of inhaled corticosteroids and the risk of fracture. Chest. 2006;130:1082-8 pubmed..13), and also in the subset of people with no exposure to oral corticosteroids (rate ratio, 4.54; 95% CI, 1.23 to 16.74). Our findings provide further evidence that inhaled corticosteroid use is an independent risk factor for fracture. ..
- Moppett I, Wiles M, Moran C, Sahota O. The Nottingham Hip Fracture Score as a predictor of early discharge following fractured neck of femur. Age Ageing. 2012;41:322-6 pubmed publisher..84, 0.94, 0.96, respectively). the NHFS is a reliable tool for predicting return-to-home. It may be useful for discharge planning, and for the design of future research trials. ..
- Burwell R, Dangerfield P, Freeman B. Etiologic theories of idiopathic scoliosis. Somatic nervous system and the NOTOM escalator concept as one component in the pathogenesis of adolescent idiopathic scoliosis. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2008;140:208-17 pubmed
- Lim W, Macfarlane J, Colthorpe C. Treatment of community-acquired lower respiratory tract infections during pregnancy. Am J Respir Med. 2003;2:221-33 pubmed..Otherwise, management strategies should not differ from those for nonpregnant patients. Further research in this area is warranted. ..
- George J, Rapsomaniki E, Pujades Rodriguez M, Shah A, Denaxas S, Herrett E, et al. How Does Cardiovascular Disease First Present in Women and Men? Incidence of 12 Cardiovascular Diseases in a Contemporary Cohort of 1,937,360 People. Circulation. 2015;132:1320-8 pubmed publisher..Sex has differing associations with different CVDs, with implications for risk prediction and management strategies. URL: http://www.clinicaltrials.gov. Unique identifier: NCT01164371. ..
- Krishnan K, Scutt P, Woodhouse L, Adami A, Becker J, Cala L, et al. Continuing versus Stopping Prestroke Antihypertensive Therapy in Acute Intracerebral Hemorrhage: A Subgroup Analysis of the Efficacy of Nitric Oxide in Stroke Trial. J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis. 2016;25:1017-1026 pubmed publisher..Among patients with acute ICH, immediate continuation of antihypertensive drugs during the first week did not reduce death or major disability in comparison to stopping treatment temporarily. ..
- Emilsson L, Abdul Sultan A, Ludvigsson J. No increased mortality in 109,000 first-degree relatives of celiac individuals. Dig Liver Dis. 2016;48:376-80 pubmed publisher..01; 95%CI=0.98-1.03). FDRs to individuals with CD are at increased risk of death. This excess risk is however minimal and unlikely to be of any clinical importance to the individual. ..
- Howarth C, Gazis A, James D. Associations of Type 1 diabetes mellitus, maternal vascular disease and complications of pregnancy. Diabet Med. 2007;24:1229-34 pubmed..56%, P < or = 0.001). Women with Type 1 DM and vascular disease are at greater risk of pre-eclampsia and pathological fetal growth. This should influence counselling and merit increased pregnancy surveillance. ..
- Bowling T, Cliff B, Wright J, Blackshaw P, Perkins A, Lobo D. The effects of bolus and continuous nasogastric feeding on gastro-oesophageal reflux and gastric emptying in healthy volunteers: a randomised three-way crossover pilot study. Clin Nutr. 2008;27:608-13 pubmed publisher..The lack of difference in gastro-oesophageal reflux between bolus and continuous feeding indicates that in healthy volunteers both methods are equally safe with respect to the risk of aspiration. ..
- McKeever T, Lewis S, Cassano P, Ocke M, Burney P, Britton J, et al. Patterns of dietary intake and relation to respiratory disease, forced expiratory volume in 1 s, and decline in 5-y forced expiratory volume. Am J Clin Nutr. 2010;92:408-15 pubmed publisher..However, none of the dietary patterns appear to be related to lung function decline. ..
- Doherty M, Spector T, Serni U. Epidemiology and genetics of hand osteoarthritis. Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2000;8 Suppl A:S14-5 pubmed..The following important factors were discussed: Genetics, Age, Gender, Obesity, HRT (hormone replacement therapy), Physical activity/trauma. ..
- Otete H, Orton E, Fleming K, West J. Alcohol-attributable healthcare attendances up to 10 years prior to diagnosis of alcoholic cirrhosis: a population based case-control study. Liver Int. 2016;36:538-46 pubmed publisher..Reviewing those consistently presenting with any of these conditions more closely could help practitioners reduce/avoid the long-term consequences of development of alcoholic liver disease. ..
- Ankolekar S, Rewell S, Howells D, Bath P. The influence of stroke risk factors and comorbidities on assessment of stroke therapies in humans and animals. Int J Stroke. 2012;7:386-97 pubmed publisher..In this article, we review the impact of the risk factors most studied in animal models of acute stroke and highlight the parallels with human stroke, and, where possible, their influence on evaluation of therapeutic strategies. ..
- Powell H, Tata L, Baldwin D, Stanley R, Khakwani A, Hubbard R. Early mortality after surgical resection for lung cancer: an analysis of the English National Lung cancer audit. Thorax. 2013;68:826-34 pubmed publisher..We used the data in the NLCA to develop a predictive score, based on an English population and specific to lung cancer surgery, which estimates risk of death within 90 days; this score should be tested in future cohorts. ..
- Dolan G. The challenge of an ageing haemophilic population. Haemophilia. 2010;16 Suppl 5:11-6 pubmed publisher..This improved longevity will generate a population of older individuals with haemophilia with complex medical problems associated with age and managing such clinical issues is likely to be challenging. ..
- Jones L, Hashim A, McKeever T, Cook D, Britton J, Leonardi Bee J. Parental and household smoking and the increased risk of bronchitis, bronchiolitis and other lower respiratory infections in infancy: systematic review and meta-analysis. Respir Res. 2011;12:5 pubmed publisher..Risk is particularly strong in relation to post-natal maternal smoking. Strategies to prevent passive smoke exposure in young children are an urgent public and child health priority. ..
- Powell H, Iyen Omofoman B, Baldwin D, Hubbard R, Tata L. Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and risk of lung cancer: the importance of smoking and timing of diagnosis. J Thorac Oncol. 2013;8:6-11 pubmed publisher..It seems unlikely, therefore, that COPD is an independent risk factor for lung cancer. ..
- Langan S, Hubbard R, Fleming K, West J. A population-based study of acute medical conditions associated with bullous pemphigoid. Br J Dermatol. 2009;161:1149-52 pubmed publisher..It may be possible to reduce associated mortality through considering prophylaxis with either antithromboembolic measures or antibiotic therapy and vaccination. ..
- Heal D, Gosden J, Smith S. Regulatory challenges for new drugs to treat obesity and comorbid metabolic disorders. Br J Clin Pharmacol. 2009;68:861-74 pubmed publisher..The regulatory environment for antiobesity drugs and the spectrum of indications for which they can be approved could change dramatically if positive data for sibutramine emerge from the SCOUT outcome trial. ..
- Armon K, Stephenson T, MacFaul R, Hemingway P, Werneke U, Smith S. An evidence and consensus based guideline for the management of a child after a seizure. Emerg Med J. 2003;20:13-20 pubmed..Only one alteration was made to the guideline as a result of this validation process, which is included here. ..
- Hawkey C, Laine L, Simon T, Quan H, Shingo S, Evans J. Incidence of gastroduodenal ulcers in patients with rheumatoid arthritis after 12 weeks of rofecoxib, naproxen, or placebo: a multicentre, randomised, double blind study. Gut. 2003;52:820-6 pubmed..Rofecoxib 50 mg daily (twice the dose recommended for this patient population) resulted in a lower incidence of endoscopically detected gastroduodenal ulcers and erosions than treatment with naproxen 500 mg twice daily. ..
- Neal K, Barker L, Spiller R. Prognosis in post-infective irritable bowel syndrome: a six year follow up study. Gut. 2002;51:410-3 pubmed..Less than half of both PI-IBS and non-infective IBS cases recover over six years. A history of anxiety and depression severe enough to warrant treatment may impair recovery but larger numbers are needed to prove this. ..
- Burwell R, Aujla R, Kirby A, Dangerfield P, Moulton A, Freeman B, et al. Leg-arm length ratios correlate with severity of apical vertebral rotation in girls after school screening for adolescent idiopathic scoliosis (AIS): a dynamic pathomechanism in the initiation of the deformity?. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2008;140:189-93 pubmed..Curve progression needs other mechanisms that may include a central nervous system failure to control structural asymmetry of vertebral axial rotation, and biomechanical spinal growth modulation. ..
- Simpson E, Mendis B, Macdonald I. Orange juice consumption and its effect on blood lipid profile and indices of the metabolic syndrome; a randomised, controlled trial in an at-risk population. Food Funct. 2016;7:1884-91 pubmed publisher..001), whereas there was no correlation between these variables in controls (R(2) = 0.023; P = 0.548). Twelve weeks consumption of 250 ml per d of OJ did not adversely affect insulin sensitivity, circulating lipids or body weight. ..
- Altaf N, Beech A, Goode S, Gladman J, Moody A, Auer D, et al. Carotid intraplaque hemorrhage detected by magnetic resonance imaging predicts embolization during carotid endarterectomy. J Vasc Surg. 2007;46:31-6 pubmed..This imaging technique can be used to identify patients with increased intraoperative thromboembolic risk, and this could influence preventive strategies. ..
- Wang H, Liddell C, Coates M, Mooney M, Levitz C, Schumacher A, et al. Global, regional, and national levels of neonatal, infant, and under-5 mortality during 1990-2013: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2013. Lancet. 2014;384:957-79 pubmed publisher..Without further accelerated progress, many countries in west and central Africa will still have high levels of under-5 mortality in 2030. Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, US Agency for International Development. ..
- Chappell S, Daly L, Morgan K, Guetta Baranes T, Roca J, Rabinovich R, et al. Cryptic haplotypes of SERPINA1 confer susceptibility to chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Hum Mutat. 2006;27:103-9 pubmed..In contrast, no haplotype associations for SERPINA3 were identified. ..
- Crooks C, Card T, West J. Reductions in 28-day mortality following hospital admission for upper gastrointestinal hemorrhage. Gastroenterology. 2011;141:62-70 pubmed publisher..We estimated trends in 28-day mortality in England following hospital admission for gastrointestinal hemorrhage...
- Parker C, Hippisley Cox J, Coupland C, Vinogradova Y. Rectal and postmenopausal bleeding: consultation and referral of patients with and without severe mental health problems. Br J Gen Pract. 2007;57:371-6 pubmed..There is concern that this could apply to rectal bleeding or postmenopausal bleeding. Published estimates of consultation rates and outcomes for these symptoms vary widely...
- Sultan A, Tata L, West J, Fiaschi L, Fleming K, Nelson Piercy C, et al. Risk factors for first venous thromboembolism around pregnancy: a population-based cohort study from the United Kingdom. Blood. 2013;121:3953-61 pubmed publisher..These risk factors should receive careful consideration when assessing the potential need for thromboprophylaxis during the postpartum period. ..
- Rowlands S, Devalia H, Smith C, Hubbard R, Dean A. Otitis externa in UK general practice: a survey using the UK General Practice Research Database. Br J Gen Pract. 2001;51:533-8 pubmed
- Dimitropoulou P, Lophatananon A, Easton D, Pocock R, Dearnaley D, Guy M, et al. Sexual activity and prostate cancer risk in men diagnosed at a younger age. BJU Int. 2009;103:178-85 pubmed publisher..Alternatively, there is a possibility of reverse causation in explaining part of the protective effect seen for men in their 50s. ..
- Hurrell E, Kucerova E, Loughlin M, Caubilla Barron J, Hilton A, Armstrong R, et al. Neonatal enteral feeding tubes as loci for colonisation by members of the Enterobacteriaceae. BMC Infect Dis. 2009;9:146 pubmed publisher..Subsequently, these organisms will enter the stomach as a bolus with each feed. Therefore, enteral feeding tubes are an important risk factor to consider with respect to neonatal infections. ..
- Bullock J, Medway C, Cortina Borja M, Turton J, Prince J, Ibrahim Verbaas C, et al. Discovery by the Epistasis Project of an epistatic interaction between the GSTM3 gene and the HHEX/IDE/KIF11 locus in the risk of Alzheimer's disease. Neurobiol Aging. 2013;34:1309.e1-7 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, this epistatic interaction showed a high degree of consistency when stratifying by sex, the ?4 allele of apolipoprotein E genotype, and geographic region. ..
- Brown A, Avery A. Healthy weight management during pregnancy: what advice and information is being provided. J Hum Nutr Diet. 2012;25:378-87 pubmed publisher..A lack of advice and support from healthcare professionals leads women to seek information for themselves from potentially un-regulated sources, and also to feelings of anxiety in some cases. ..
- Horsted F, West J, Grainge M. Risk of venous thromboembolism in patients with cancer: a systematic review and meta-analysis. PLoS Med. 2012;9:e1001275 pubmed publisher..The absolute VTE risks obtained from this review can aid in clinical decision-making about which people with cancer should receive anticoagulant prophylaxis and at what times. ..
- Crooks C, West J, Card T. Comorbidities affect risk of nonvariceal upper gastrointestinal bleeding. Gastroenterology. 2013;144:1384-93, 1393.e1-2; quiz e18-9 pubmed publisher..Other factors might therefore be involved in the pathogenesis of GIB. Patients with GIB have increasing nongastrointestinal comorbidity, so we investigated whether comorbidity itself increased the risk of GIB...
- Kumar A, Carpenter H, Morris R, Iliffe S, Kendrick D. Which factors are associated with fear of falling in community-dwelling older people?. Age Ageing. 2014;43:76-84 pubmed publisher..A simpler model performs as well as a more complex model containing functional assessments and could be used in primary care to identify those at risk of FOF, who could benefit from falls prevention interventions. ..
- Carbonaro F, Hysi P, Fahy S, Nag A, Hammond C. Optic disc planimetry, corneal hysteresis, central corneal thickness, and intraocular pressure as risk factors for glaucoma. Am J Ophthalmol. 2014;157:441-6 pubmed publisher..To determine whether corneal hysteresis and central corneal thickness are independent risk factors for glaucoma...
- Burke H, Leonardi Bee J, Hashim A, Pine Abata H, Chen Y, Cook D, et al. Prenatal and passive smoke exposure and incidence of asthma and wheeze: systematic review and meta-analysis. Pediatrics. 2012;129:735-44 pubmed publisher..A systematic review and meta-analysis was conducted to provide estimates of the prospective effect of smoking by parents or household members on the risk of wheeze and asthma at different stages of childhood...
- Kolhe N, Muirhead A, Wilkes S, Fluck R, Taal M. The epidemiology of hospitalised acute kidney injury not requiring dialysis in England from 1998 to 2013: retrospective analysis of hospital episode statistics. Int J Clin Pract. 2016;70:330-9 pubmed publisher..Efforts to reduce the incidence of AKI and improve survival should focus on elderly people, emergency admissions and those with multi-morbidity. ..
- Blakey J, Halapi E, Bjornsdottir U, Wheatley A, Kristinsson S, Upmanyu R, et al. Contribution of ADAM33 polymorphisms to the population risk of asthma. Thorax. 2005;60:274-6 pubmed..The additional risk imparted by this variation would account for 50,000 excess asthma cases in the UK alone. This study also demonstrates the size of study required to investigate such hypotheses adequately. ..
- Chan Y, Jayaprakasan K, Tan A, Thornton J, Coomarasamy A, Raine Fenning N. Reproductive outcomes in women with congenital uterine anomalies: a systematic review. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol. 2011;38:371-82 pubmed publisher..We conducted a systematic review to evaluate the association between different types of congenital uterine anomaly and various reproductive outcomes...
- Hollis C, Groom M, Das D, Calton T, Bates A, Andrews H, et al. Different psychological effects of cannabis use in adolescents at genetic high risk for schizophrenia and with attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). Schizophr Res. 2008;105:216-23 pubmed publisher..Further research is needed to investigate the basis of relationships between cannabis and mental health in genetically vulnerable individuals. ..
- Spiller R, Garsed K. Postinfectious irritable bowel syndrome. Gastroenterology. 2009;136:1979-88 pubmed publisher..There are no specific treatments for PI-IBS; these should be tailored to the predominant bowel disturbance, which is most frequently diarrhea. ..
- Evans A, James J, Cornford E, Chan S, Burrell H, Pinder S, et al. Brain metastases from breast cancer: identification of a high-risk group. Clin Oncol (R Coll Radiol). 2004;16:345-9 pubmed
- Fuller C, Brooks J, Kemp S. Spinal injuries in professional rugby union: a prospective cohort study. Clin J Sport Med. 2007;17:10-6 pubmed..To determine the incidence, severity, nature, and causes of cervical, thoracic, and lumbar spine injuries sustained during competition and training in professional rugby union...
- Kühnl A, Cunningham D, Counsell N, Hawkes E, Qian W, Smith P, et al. Outcome of elderly patients with diffuse large B-cell lymphoma treated with R-CHOP: results from the UK NCRI R-CHOP14v21 trial with combined analysis of molecular characteristics with the DSHNHL RICOVER-60 trial. Ann Oncol. 2017;28:1540-1546 pubmed publisher..Elderly MYC-R and DHL patients have inferior prognosis and should be considered for alternative treatment approaches. ISCRTN 16017947 (R-CHOP14v21); NCT00052936 (RICOVER-60). ..
- Zhang W, McWilliams D, Ingham S, Doherty S, Muthuri S, Muir K, et al. Nottingham knee osteoarthritis risk prediction models. Ann Rheum Dis. 2011;70:1599-604 pubmed publisher..Risk prediction of knee OA based on the well established, common modifiable risk factors has been established. The models may be used to predict the risk of knee OA, and risk reduction due to preventing a specific risk factor. ..
- Aithal G. Hepatotoxicity related to antirheumatic drugs. Nat Rev Rheumatol. 2011;7:139-50 pubmed publisher..Detailed understanding of genetic and environmental factors underlying an individual's susceptibility would enable risk reduction and potentially primary prevention of hepatotoxicity. ..
- Earl H, Vallier A, Hiller L, Fenwick N, Young J, Iddawela M, et al. Effects of the addition of gemcitabine, and paclitaxel-first sequencing, in neoadjuvant sequential epirubicin, cyclophosphamide, and paclitaxel for women with high-risk early breast cancer (Neo-tAnGo): an open-label, 2×2 factorial randomised phase 3 . Lancet Oncol. 2014;15:201-12 pubmed publisher
- den Hollander W, Boer C, Hart D, Yau M, Ramos Y, Metrustry S, et al. Genome-wide association and functional studies identify a role for matrix Gla protein in osteoarthritis of the hand. Ann Rheum Dis. 2017;76:2046-2053 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that the association between the MGP variant and increased risk for hand OA is caused by a lower expression of MGP, which may increase the burden of hand OA by decreased inhibition of cartilage calcification. ..
- Alashek W, McIntyre C, Taal M. Hepatitis B and C infection in haemodialysis patients in Libya: prevalence, incidence and risk factors. BMC Infect Dis. 2012;12:265 pubmed publisher..Urgent action is required to improve infection control measures in HD centres and to reduce dependence on blood transfusions for the treatment of anaemia. ..
- Hariharan D, Lobo D. Retained surgical sponges, needles and instruments. Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 2013;95:87-92 pubmed publisher..Prospective multicentre trials to assess efficacy of new technologies aiding manual counting should be undertaken if this medical error is to be eliminated completely. ..
- Tinelli M, Ozolins M, Bath Hextall F, Williams H. What determines patient preferences for treating low risk basal cell carcinoma when comparing surgery vs imiquimod? A discrete choice experiment survey from the SINS trial. BMC Dermatol. 2012;12:19 pubmed publisher..Understanding how people with a BCC value alternative interventions may better inform the development of health care interventions. ..
- Simpson J, Scholefield J, Spiller R. Pathogenesis of colonic diverticula. Br J Surg. 2002;89:546-54 pubmed..This article reviews these aspects in relation to the pathogenesis of colonic diverticula...
- Garner D, Weston V. Effectiveness of vaccination for Haemophilus influenzae type b. Lancet. 2003;361:395-6 pubmed
- Hubner R, Muir K, Liu J, Logan R, Grainge M, Armitage N, et al. Genetic variants of UGT1A6 influence risk of colorectal adenoma recurrence. Clin Cancer Res. 2006;12:6585-9 pubmed..These findings confirm that UGT1A6 variants influence colorectal carcinogenesis independent of aspirin intake and suggest that they may have clinical value in secondary prevention programs for patients diagnosed with colorectal adenoma. ..
- Chappell S, Hadzic N, Stockley R, Guetta Baranes T, Morgan K, Kalsheker N. A polymorphism of the alpha1-antitrypsin gene represents a risk factor for liver disease. Hepatology. 2008;47:127-32 pubmed..This is the first description of a genetic modifier of liver disease in homozygous ZZ children and has potential implications for screening and possible therapies that are currently being developed. ..
- von der Werth J, Williams H. The natural history of hidradenitis suppurativa. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol. 2000;14:389-92 pubmed..9 days) roughly equals the duration of an average course of antibiotics. The postulated response of HS to oral antibiotics may thus simply have its explanation in the natural history of the condition itself. ..
- Chappell S, Daly L, Morgan K, Guetta Baranes T, Roca J, Rabinovich R, et al. Genetic variants of microsomal epoxide hydrolase and glutamate-cysteine ligase in COPD. Eur Respir J. 2008;32:931-7 pubmed publisher..The current data indicate that these genetic variants are unlikely to be related to susceptibility or disease severity in white chronic obstructive pulmonary disease patients. ..
- Doherty M, Courtney P, Doherty S, Jenkins W, Maciewicz R, Muir K, et al. Nonspherical femoral head shape (pistol grip deformity), neck shaft angle, and risk of hip osteoarthritis: a case-control study. Arthritis Rheum. 2008;58:3172-82 pubmed publisher..To determine whether 2-dimensional measures of femoral head shape and angle are associated with hip osteoarthritis (OA)...
- Williams M, Lawson A, Neal K, Ryder S, Irving W. Autoantibodies in chronic hepatitis C virus infection and their association with disease profile. J Viral Hepat. 2009;16:325-31 pubmed publisher..Anti-nuclear antibodies increase with age, whereas ASM antibodies are associated with interface hepatitis in men. Neither autoantibody carries increased risk of fibrosis progression or failure of therapy. ..
- Appleton J, Miles J. A statistical evaluation of the geogenic controls on indoor radon concentrations and radon risk. J Environ Radioact. 2010;101:799-803 pubmed publisher..This study confirms the importance of radon maps that show the variation of indoor radon concentrations both between and within mapped geological boundaries...
- Grainge M, West J, Card T. Venous thromboembolism during active disease and remission in inflammatory bowel disease: a cohort study. Lancet. 2010;375:657-63 pubmed publisher..7-6.3; p=0.0006; 37.5 per 1000 person-years). Trials of primary prophylaxis of venous thromboembolism are warranted to find out whether this important complication can be prevented. National Association for Colitis and Crohn's Disease. ..
- Varyani F, West J, Card T. An increased risk of urinary tract infection precedes development of primary biliary cirrhosis. BMC Gastroenterol. 2011;11:95 pubmed publisher..We found that the association between urosepsis and PBC is specific to this disease and precedes the diagnosis of PBC in a manner not previously observed in human data. This is consistent with a causal relationship. ..
- Muthuri S, Hui M, Doherty M, Zhang W. What if we prevent obesity? Risk reduction in knee osteoarthritis estimated through a meta-analysis of observational studies. Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2011;63:982-90 pubmed publisher..The benefit of modifying this risk factor may cause significant risk reduction of knee OA in the general population, especially in Western countries where obesity is prevalent. ..
- Morrell C, Curran S, Topping A, Shaik K, Muthukrishnan V, Stephenson J. Identification of depressive disorder among older people in care homes - a feasibility study. Prim Health Care Res Dev. 2011;12:255-65 pubmed publisher..More research should explore the value of training home care staff to administer the 30-item GDS to optimise the management of depression in older people in care homes. ..
- Zou K, Xiao F, Li H, Zhou Q, Ban L, Yang M, et al. Risk of cardiovascular disease in Chinese patients with rheumatoid arthritis: A cross-sectional study based on hospital medical records in 10 years. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0180376 pubmed publisher..The findings justified the need of further longitudinal study to establish the causal-relationship between RA and CVD and to estimate the precise risk in this population. ..
- Yates J, Clare L, Woods R. Subjective memory complaints, mood and MCI: a follow-up study. Aging Ment Health. 2017;21:313-321 pubmed publisher..SMC may be a function of anxiety and depression rather than being related to objective cognitive function. This questions whether SMC should be included in definitions of MCI. ..