Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on odds ratio in Cambridge, England, United Kingdom
Locale: Cambridge, England, United Kingdom
Topic: odds ratio
- Pharoah P, Oliveira C, Machado J, Keller G, Vogelsang H, Laux H, et al. CDH1 c-160a promotor polymorphism is not associated with risk of stomach cancer. Int J Cancer. 2002;101:196-7 pubmed..3 (95% CI 0.98-1.8) and 1.2 (0.68-2.0) for rare homozygotes compared with common homozygotes. We found no evidence for differences in risk for the intestinal- and diffuse-type histopathologic subgroups. ..
- Khaw K, Friesen M, Riboli E, Luben R, Wareham N. Plasma phospholipid fatty acid concentration and incident coronary heart disease in men and women: the EPIC-Norfolk prospective study. PLoS Med. 2012;9:e1001255 pubmed publisher..These findings are consistent with accumulating evidence suggesting a protective role of omega-6 fats substituting for saturated fats for CHD prevention. ..
- Oliver Williams C, Fleming M, Monteath K, Wood A, Smith G. Changes in association between previous therapeutic abortion and preterm birth in Scotland, 1980 to 2008: a historical cohort study. PLoS Med. 2013;10:e1001481 pubmed publisher..However, we speculate that modernising abortion methods may be an effective long-term strategy to reduce global rates of preterm birth. ..
- Vella A, Cooper J, Lowe C, Walker N, Nutland S, Widmer B, et al. Localization of a type 1 diabetes locus in the IL2RA/CD25 region by use of tag single-nucleotide polymorphisms. Am J Hum Genet. 2005;76:773-9 pubmed..3x10(-3); combined P=1.3x10(-10)). These results illustrate the utility of tag SNPs in a chromosome-regional test of disease association and justify future fine mapping of the causal variant in the region. ..
- Grosso G, Micek A, Godos J, Pajak A, Sciacca S, Galvano F, et al. Dietary Flavonoid and Lignan Intake and Mortality in Prospective Cohort Studies: Systematic Review and Dose-Response Meta-Analysis. Am J Epidemiol. 2017;185:1304-1316 pubmed publisher..Only limited evidence was available on flavonoid classes and lignans and all-cause mortality. Findings from this meta-analysis indicated that dietary flavonoids are associated with decreased risk of all-cause and CVD mortality. ..
- Knight H, van der Meulen J, Gurol Urganci I, Smith G, Kiran A, Thornton S, et al. Birth "Out-of-Hours": An Evaluation of Obstetric Practice and Outcome According to the Presence of Senior Obstetricians on the Labour Ward. PLoS Med. 2016;13:e1002000 pubmed publisher..However there is a need for more robust evidence on the quality of care afforded by different models of labour ward staffing. ..
- Sardinha L, Cyrino E, Santos L, Ekelund U, Santos D. Fitness but not weight status is associated with projected physical independence in older adults. Age (Dordr). 2016;38:54 pubmed publisher..Independent of their weight and WC status, unfit older adults are at increased risk for losing physical independence. ..
- PrÃ¦stegaard C, Kjaer S, Nielsen T, Jensen S, Webb P, Nagle C, et al. The association between socioeconomic status and tumour stage at diagnosis of ovarian cancer: A pooled analysis of 18 case-control studies. Cancer Epidemiol. 2016;41:71-9 pubmed publisher..The observed socioeconomic difference in stage at diagnosis of ovarian cancer calls for further studies on how to reduce this diagnostic delay. ..
- Leacy F, Floyd S, Yates T, White I. Analyses of Sensitivity to the Missing-at-Random Assumption Using Multiple Imputation With Delta Adjustment: Application to a Tuberculosis/HIV Prevalence Survey With Incomplete HIV-Status Data. Am J Epidemiol. 2017;185:304-315 pubmed publisher..Our analyses demonstrate that multiple imputation offers a principled approach by which to incorporate auxiliary information on self-reported HIV status into analyses based on partially observed HIV serological values. ..
- Burgess S, Davey Smith G. Mendelian Randomization Implicates High-Density Lipoprotein Cholesterol-Associated Mechanisms in Etiology of Age-Related Macular Degeneration. Ophthalmology. 2017;124:1165-1174 pubmed publisher..Some genetic evidence suggests that HDL-cholesterol is a causal risk factor for AMD risk and that increasing HDL-cholesterol (particularly via CETP inhibition) will increase AMD risk. ..
- Sadat U, Usman A, Gillard J, Boyle J. Does ascorbic acid protect against contrast-induced acute kidney injury in patients undergoing coronary angiography: a systematic review with meta-analysis of randomized, controlled trials. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2013;62:2167-75 pubmed publisher..672; 95% confidence interval, 0.466 to 0.969; p = 0.034). Ascorbic acid provides effective nephroprotection against CI-AKI and may form a part of effective prophylactic pharmacological regimens. ..
- Burgess S, Butterworth A, Thompson S. Mendelian randomization analysis with multiple genetic variants using summarized data. Genet Epidemiol. 2013;37:658-65 pubmed publisher..We conclude that Mendelian randomization investigations using summarized data from uncorrelated variants are similarly efficient to those using individual-level data, although the necessary assumptions cannot be so fully assessed. ..
- Elkhawad M, Rudd J, Sarov Blat L, Cai G, Wells R, Davies L, et al. Effects of p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase inhibition on vascular and systemic inflammation in patients with atherosclerosis. JACC Cardiovasc Imaging. 2012;5:911-22 pubmed publisher..These results suggest a systemic anti-inflammatory effect. (A Study to Evaluate the Effects of 3 Months Dosing With GW856553, as Assessed FDG-PET/CT Imaging; NCT00633022). ..
- CURTIS J, Kopanitsa L, Stebbings E, Speirs A, Ignatyeva O, Balabanova Y, et al. Association analysis of the LTA4H gene polymorphisms and pulmonary tuberculosis in 9115 subjects. Tuberculosis (Edinb). 2011;91:22-5 pubmed publisher..49) and no association of the alleles of any of the six polymorphisms (P = 0.13-0.81). These results suggest that common polymorphisms in the LTA4H gene do not play any major role in susceptibility to clinical pulmonary tuberculosis. ..
- Savva G, Wharton S, Ince P, Forster G, Matthews F, Brayne C. Age, neuropathology, and dementia. N Engl J Med. 2009;360:2302-9 pubmed publisher..Age must be taken into account when assessing the likely effect of interventions against dementia on the population. ..
- Farrington D, Ttofi M, Coid J. Development of adolescence-limited, late-onset, and persistent offenders from age 8 to age 48. Aggress Behav. 2009;35:150-63 pubmed publisher..It was suggested that nervousness and neuroticism may have protected children at risk from offending in adolescence and the teenage years. ..
- Ramus S, Vierkant R, Johnatty S, Pike M, Van Den Berg D, Wu A, et al. Consortium analysis of 7 candidate SNPs for ovarian cancer. Int J Cancer. 2008;123:380-388 pubmed publisher..These null results for SNPs identified from relatively large initial studies shows the importance of replicating associations by a consortium approach. ..
- Sagoo G, Tatt I, Salanti G, Butterworth A, Sarwar N, van Maarle M, et al. Seven lipoprotein lipase gene polymorphisms, lipid fractions, and coronary disease: a HuGE association review and meta-analysis. Am J Epidemiol. 2008;168:1233-46 pubmed publisher..88, 8.87). The study of LPL genotypes confirms the existence of close interrelations between high density lipoprotein cholesterol and triglyceride pathways. The influence of these genotypes on CHD risk warrants further investigation. ..
- Yates J, Sepp T, Matharu B, Khan J, Thurlby D, Shahid H, et al. Complement C3 variant and the risk of age-related macular degeneration. N Engl J Med. 2007;357:553-61 pubmed..Complement C3 is important in the pathogenesis of age-related macular degeneration. This finding further underscores the influence of the complement pathway in the pathogenesis of this disease. ..
- Censin J, Nowak C, Cooper N, Bergsten P, Todd J, Fall T. Childhood adiposity and risk of type 1 diabetes: A Mendelian randomization study. PLoS Med. 2017;14:e1002362 pubmed publisher..Together with evidence from observational studies, our findings further emphasize the importance of measures to reduce the global epidemic of childhood obesity and encourage mechanistic studies. ..