Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on male in Cambridge, England, United Kingdom
Locale: Cambridge, England, United Kingdom
- Li S, Imamura F, Ye Z, Schulze M, Zheng J, Ardanaz E, et al. Interaction between genes and macronutrient intake on the risk of developing type 2 diabetes: systematic review and findings from European Prospective Investigation into Cancer (EPIC)-InterAct. Am J Clin Nutr. 2017;106:263-275 pubmed publisher..These interactions were not replicated in the EPIC-InterAct study, which mirrored the analyses undertaken in the original reports. Our findings highlight the importance of independent replication of reported interactions. ..
- Grosso G, Micek A, Godos J, Pajak A, Sciacca S, Galvano F, et al. Dietary Flavonoid and Lignan Intake and Mortality in Prospective Cohort Studies: Systematic Review and Dose-Response Meta-Analysis. Am J Epidemiol. 2017;185:1304-1316 pubmed publisher..Only limited evidence was available on flavonoid classes and lignans and all-cause mortality. Findings from this meta-analysis indicated that dietary flavonoids are associated with decreased risk of all-cause and CVD mortality. ..
- Paltoglou S, Das R, Townley S, Hickey T, Tarulli G, Coutinho I, et al. Novel Androgen Receptor Coregulator GRHL2 Exerts Both Oncogenic and Antimetastatic Functions in Prostate Cancer. Cancer Res. 2017;77:3417-3430 pubmed publisher..i>Cancer Res; 77(13); 3417-30. Â©2017 AACR. ..
- Li M, Hothi S, Salvage S, Jeevaratnam K, Grace A, Huang C. Arrhythmic effects of Epac-mediated ryanodine receptor activation in Langendorff-perfused murine hearts are associated with reduced conduction velocity. Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol. 2017;44:686-692 pubmed publisher..We thus demonstrate for the first time that acute RyR2 activation reversibly induces VT in specific association with reduced CV. ..
- Zamora Ros R, CastaÃ±eda J, Rinaldi S, Cayssials V, Slimani N, Weiderpass E, et al. Consumption of Fish Is Not Associated with Risk of Differentiated Thyroid Carcinoma in the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC) Study. J Nutr. 2017;147:1366-1373 pubmed publisher..b>Conclusion: This large study shows that the intake of fish and shellfish was not associated with differentiated TC risk in Europe, a region in which iodine deficiency or excess is rare. ..
- van der Jagt A, Craig T, Brewer M, Pearson D. A view not to be missed: Salient scene content interferes with cognitive restoration. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0169997 pubmed publisher..Overall, these findings demonstrate an important link between the saliency of scene content and related cognitive restoration. ..
- Zou S, Teixeira A, Kostadima M, Astle W, Radhakrishnan A, Simon L, et al. SNP in human ARHGEF3 promoter is associated with DNase hypersensitivity, transcript level and platelet function, and Arhgef3 KO mice have increased mean platelet volume. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0178095 pubmed publisher..Arhgef3 KO mice partially recapitulate the human phenotype. ..
- Ware J, Wain L, Channavajjhala S, Jackson V, Edwards E, Lu R, et al. Phenotypic and pharmacogenetic evaluation of patients with thiazide-induced hyponatremia. J Clin Invest. 2017;127:3367-3374 pubmed publisher..We propose one mechanism underlying TIH development in a subgroup of patients in which SLCO2A1 regulation is altered. ..
- Dudas R, Lovejoy C, Cassidy S, Allison C, Smith P, Baron Cohen S. The overlap between autistic spectrum conditions and borderline personality disorder. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0184447 pubmed publisher..Finally, on the SQ-R, we found the ASC and BPD group both scored higher than controls. Similar to ASC, BPD patients have elevated autistic traits and a strong drive to systemize, suggesting an overlap between BPD and ASC. ..
- Hinsley A, Sutherland W, Johnston A. Men ask more questions than women at a scientific conference. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0185534 pubmed publisher..We encourage the scientific community to recognise the context in which these gender differences occur, and evaluate and develop methods to support full participation from all attendees. ..
- Cooper E, Greve A, Henson R. Assumptions behind scoring source versus item memory: Effects of age, hippocampal lesions and mild memory problems. Cortex. 2017;91:297-315 pubmed publisher..Nonetheless, there is no theory-neutral way of scoring data, and thus proper examination of the assumptions underlying the scoring of source monitoring paradigms is necessary before theoretical conclusions can be drawn. ..
- d Anglemont de Tassigny X, Jayasena C, Murphy K, Dhillo W, Colledge W. Mechanistic insights into the more potent effect of KP-54 compared to KP-10 in vivo. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0176821 pubmed publisher..These data are consistent with KP-54 being able to cross the BBB and suggest that KP10 may be less able to do so. ..
- Tarkin J, Joshi F, Evans N, Chowdhury M, Figg N, Shah A, et al. Detection of Atherosclerotic Inflammation by 68Ga-DOTATATE PET Compared to [18F]FDG PET Imaging. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2017;69:1774-1791 pubmed publisher..Vascular Inflammation Imaging Using Somatostatin Receptor Positron Emission Tomography [VISION]; NCT02021188). ..
- Rubenstein R, Chang B, Yue J, Chiu A, Winkler E, Puccio A, et al. Comparing Plasma Phospho Tau, Total Tau, and Phospho Tau-Total Tau Ratio as Acute and Chronic Traumatic Brain Injury Biomarkers. JAMA Neurol. 2017;74:1063-1072 pubmed publisher..Microtubule-associated protein tau is an axonal phosphoprotein. To date, the presence of the hypophosphorylated tau protein (P-tau) in plasma from patients with acute TBI and chronic TBI has not been investigated...
- Fischer C, Lingsma H, Klazinga N, Hardwick R, Cromwell D, Steyerberg E, et al. Volume-outcome revisited: The effect of hospital and surgeon volumes on multiple outcome measures in oesophago-gastric cancer surgery. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0183955 pubmed publisher..This study evaluated the relation between hospital- and surgeon volume and different risk-adjusted outcomes after oesophago-gastric (OG) cancer surgery in England between 2011 and 2013...
- Rao Kondapally Seshasai S, Kaptoge S, Thompson A, Di Angelantonio E, Gao P, Sarwar N, et al. Diabetes mellitus, fasting glucose, and risk of cause-specific death. N Engl J Med. 2011;364:829-841 pubmed publisher..Funded by the British Heart Foundation and others.). ..
- Ashwin C, Wheelwright S, Baron Cohen S. Differences in change blindness to real-life scenes in adults with autism spectrum conditions. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0185120 pubmed publisher..The findings of lower detection rates for one of the marginal interest conditions may be related to problems in shifting attention or an overly focused attention spotlight...
- Timmis M, Allsop J, Baranian M, Baker J, Basevitch I, Latham K, et al. Visual Search Behavior in Individuals With Retinitis Pigmentosa During Level Walking and Obstacle Crossing. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2017;58:4737-4746 pubmed publisher..Investigate the visual search strategy of individuals with retinitis pigmentosa (RP) when negotiating a floor-based obstacle compared with level walking, and compared with those with normal vision...
- Leacy F, Floyd S, Yates T, White I. Analyses of Sensitivity to the Missing-at-Random Assumption Using Multiple Imputation With Delta Adjustment: Application to a Tuberculosis/HIV Prevalence Survey With Incomplete HIV-Status Data. Am J Epidemiol. 2017;185:304-315 pubmed publisher..Our analyses demonstrate that multiple imputation offers a principled approach by which to incorporate auxiliary information on self-reported HIV status into analyses based on partially observed HIV serological values. ..
- Chowdhury M, Makris G, Tarkin J, Joshi F, Hayes P, Rudd J, et al. Lower limb arterial calcification (LLAC) scores in patients with symptomatic peripheral arterial disease are associated with increased cardiac mortality and morbidity. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0182952 pubmed publisher..This is the largest study to investigate links between lower limb arterial calcification and cardiovascular events in symptomatic PAD. We describe a straightforward, reproducible, CT-derived measure of calcification-the LLAC score. ..
- Redfern W, Tse K, Grant C, Keerie A, Simpson D, Pedersen J, et al. Automated recording of home cage activity and temperature of individual rats housed in social groups: The Rodent Big Brother project. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0181068 pubmed publisher..It has numerous potential applications including safety pharmacology, toxicology, circadian biology, disease models and drug discovery. ..
- Mostafavi H, Berisa T, Day F, Perry J, Przeworski M, Pickrell J. Identifying genetic variants that affect viability in large cohorts. PLoS Biol. 2017;15:e2002458 pubmed publisher..Beyond our findings, the analysis serves as a proof of principle for how upcoming biomedical data sets can be used to learn about selection effects in contemporary humans. ..
- BÃ©nit P, PelhaÃ®tre A, Saunier E, Bortoli S, Coulibaly A, Rak M, et al. Paradoxical Inhibition of Glycolysis by Pioglitazone Opposes the Mitochondriopathy Caused by AIF Deficiency. EBioMedicine. 2017;17:75-87 pubmed publisher..Altogether, our results suggest that excessive glycolysis participates to the pathogenesis of mitochondriopathies and that pharmacological inhibition of glycolysis may have beneficial effects in this condition. ..
- de Riva A, Wallberg M, Ronchi F, Coulson R, Sage A, Thorne L, et al. Regulation of type 1 diabetes development and B-cell activation in nonobese diabetic mice by early life exposure to a diabetogenic environment. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0181964 pubmed publisher..The complexity of microbial immune regulation revealed in this murine model may also be relevant to the environmental regulation of human T1D. ..
- Werkstetter K, Korponay SzabÃ³ I, Popp A, Villanacci V, Salemme M, Heilig G, et al. Accuracy in Diagnosis of Celiac Disease Without Biopsies inÂ Clinical Practice. Gastroenterology. 2017;153:924-935 pubmed publisher..HLA analysis is not required for accurate diagnosis. Clinical Trial Registration no: DRKS00003555. ..
- Blanquart F, Wymant C, Cornelissen M, Gall A, Bakker M, Bezemer D, et al. Viral genetic variation accounts for a third of variability in HIV-1 set-point viral load in Europe. PLoS Biol. 2017;15:e2001855 pubmed publisher..An overall heritability of 31% (CI 15%-43%) is consistent with other studies based on regression of viral load in donor-recipient pairs. Thus, about a third of variation in HIV-1 virulence is attributable to viral genetic variation. ..
- Jiggins F. The spread of Wolbachia through mosquito populations. PLoS Biol. 2017;15:e2002780 pubmed publisher..This remarkable field experiment has both validated theoretical models of Wolbachia population dynamics and demonstrated that this is a viable strategy to modify mosquito populations. ..
- Kim Y, Wijndaele K, Lee D, Sharp S, Wareham N, Brage S. Independent and joint associations of grip strength and adiposity with all-cause and cardiovascular disease mortality in 403,199 adults: the UK Biobank study. Am J Clin Nutr. 2017;106:773-782 pubmed publisher..Interventions and policies should focus on improving the muscular strength of the population regardless of their degree of adiposity. ..
- Burgess S, Davey Smith G. Mendelian Randomization Implicates High-Density Lipoprotein Cholesterol-Associated Mechanisms in Etiology of Age-Related Macular Degeneration. Ophthalmology. 2017;124:1165-1174 pubmed publisher..Some genetic evidence suggests that HDL-cholesterol is a causal risk factor for AMD risk and that increasing HDL-cholesterol (particularly via CETP inhibition) will increase AMD risk. ..
- Zapata Diomedi B, Knibbs L, Ware R, Heesch K, Tainio M, Woodcock J, et al. A shift from motorised travel to active transport: What are the potential health gains for an Australian city?. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0184799 pubmed publisher..In this study, we aimed to estimate the potential health gains and savings in health care costs of an Australian city achieving its stated travel targets for the use of active transport...
- Camacho N, Van Loo P, Edwards S, Kay J, Matthews L, Haase K, et al. Appraising the relevance of DNA copy number loss and gain in prostate cancer using whole genome DNA sequence data. PLoS Genet. 2017;13:e1007001 pubmed publisher..We concluded that a two-hit genetic model accounts for about one third of SCNA indicating that mechanisms, such haploinsufficiency and epigenetic inactivation, account for the remaining SCNA losses. ..
- Weber I, Rana M, Thomas P, Dimov I, Franze K, Rajan M. Effect of vital dyes on human corneal endothelium and elasticity of Descemet's membrane. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0184375 pubmed publisher..The use of MB could therefore improve (i) visibility of the DM scroll, and (ii) intraoperative unfolding, enhancing the probability of successful DMEK surgery. ..
- Fels Elliott D, Perner J, Li X, Symmons M, Verstak B, Eldridge M, et al. Impact of mutations in Toll-like receptor pathway genes on esophageal carcinogenesis. PLoS Genet. 2017;13:e1006808 pubmed publisher..Overall, our findings show that TLR pathway genes are recurrently mutated in EAC, and TLR4 mutations have decreased responsiveness to bacterial lipopolysaccharide and may play a role in disease pathogenesis in a subset of patients. ..
- Ference B, Kastelein J, Ginsberg H, Chapman M, Nicholls S, Ray K, et al. Association of Genetic Variants Related to CETP Inhibitors and Statins With Lipoprotein Levels and Cardiovascular Risk. JAMA. 2017;318:947-956 pubmed publisher..The clinical benefit of lowering LDL-C levels may therefore depend on the corresponding reduction in apoB-containing lipoprotein particles. ..
- Ku C, Hull S, Arno G, Vincent A, Carss K, Kayton R, et al. Detailed Clinical Phenotype and Molecular Genetic Findings in CLN3-Associated Isolated Retinal Degeneration. JAMA Ophthalmol. 2017;135:749-760 pubmed publisher..The age at onset and natural progression of retinal disease differs greatly between syndromic and nonsyndromic CLN3 disease, which may be associated with genotypic differences. ..
- Thijs J, Strickland I, Bruijnzeel Koomen C, Nierkens S, Giovannone B, Csomor E, et al. Moving toward endotypes in atopic dermatitis: Identification of patient clusters based on serum biomarker analysis. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2017;140:730-737 pubmed publisher..Elucidation of these endotypes warrants further investigation and will require future intervention trials with specific agents, such as biologics. ..
- Morgan A, Gatti D, Najarian M, Keane T, Galante R, Pack A, et al. Structural Variation Shapes the Landscape of Recombination in Mouse. Genetics. 2017;206:603-619 pubmed publisher..Our findings demonstrate how multiparent populations, by bridging the gap between large-scale and fine-scale genetic mapping, can reveal new features of the recombination landscape. ..
- Larsson S, Burgess S, Michaelsson K. Association of Genetic Variants Related to Serum Calcium Levels With Coronary Artery Disease and Myocardial Infarction. JAMA. 2017;318:371-380 pubmed publisher..Whether the risk of CAD associated with lifelong genetic exposure to increased serum calcium levels can be translated to a risk associated with short-term to medium-term calcium supplementation is unknown. ..
- Bachert C, Sousa A, Lund V, Scadding G, Gevaert P, Nasser S, et al. Reduced need for surgery in severe nasal polyposis with mepolizumab: Randomized trial. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2017;140:1024-1031.e14 pubmed publisher..In patients with recurrent nasal polyposis receiving topical corticosteroids who required surgery, mepolizumab treatment led to a greater reduction in the need for surgery and a greater improvement in symptoms than placebo. ..
- Stitziel N, Khera A, Wang X, Bierhals A, Vourakis A, Sperry A, et al. ANGPTL3 Deficiency and Protection Against Coronary Artery Disease. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2017;69:2054-2063 pubmed publisher..65; 95% confidence interval: 0.55 to 0.77; pÂ < 0.001). ANGPTL3 deficiency is associated with protection from CAD. ..
- Haycock P, Burgess S, Nounu A, Zheng J, Okoli G, Bowden J, et al. Association Between Telomere Length and Risk of Cancer and Non-Neoplastic Diseases: A Mendelian Randomization Study. JAMA Oncol. 2017;3:636-651 pubmed publisher..28-0.61]) and interstitial lung disease (OR, 0.09 [95% CI, 0.05-0.15]). It is likely that longer telomeres increase risk for several cancers but reduce risk for some non-neoplastic diseases, including cardiovascular diseases. ..
- Ioannou A, Papageorgiou N, Barber H, Falconer D, Barra S, Babu G, et al. Impact of an Age-Adjusted Co-morbidity Index on Survival of Patients With Heart Failure Implanted With Cardiac Resynchronization Therapy Devices. Am J Cardiol. 2017;120:1158-1165 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, patient co-morbidity profile adjusted to age impacts on mortality after CRT implantation. Use of the CACI may help refine guideline criteria to identify patients more likely to benefit from CRT. ..
- Westbury S, Canault M, Greene D, Bermejo E, Hanlon K, Lambert M, et al. Expanded repertoire of RASGRP2 variants responsible for platelet dysfunction and severe bleeding. Blood. 2017;130:1026-1030 pubmed publisher..These data enable definition of human CalDAG-GEFI deficiency as a nonsyndromic, recessive PFD associated with a moderate or severe bleeding phenotype and complex defects in platelet aggregation. ..
- Sands B, Chen J, Feagan B, Penney M, Rees W, Danese S, et al. Efficacy and Safety of MEDI2070, an Antibody Against Interleukin 23, in Patients With Moderate to Severe Crohn's Disease: A Phase 2a Study. Gastroenterology. 2017;153:77-86.e6 pubmed publisher..ClinicalTrials.gov ID: NCT01714726. ..
- Malcher S, Pieczarka J, Geise L, Rossi R, Pereira A, O Brien P, et al. Oecomys catherinae (Sigmodontinae, Cricetidae): Evidence for chromosomal speciation?. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0181434 pubmed publisher..These chromosomal differences together with the absence of consistent differentiation between the two populations on morphological and molecular analyses suggest that these populations may represent cryptic species. ..
- Johnson W, Elmrayed S, Sosseh F, Prentice A, Moore S. Preconceptional and gestational weight trajectories and risk of delivering a small-for-gestational-age baby in rural Gambia. Am J Clin Nutr. 2017;105:1474-1482 pubmed publisher..Independent of this possibility, greater second- and third-trimester weight gain beyond a threshold may be protective. This trial was registered at http://www.isrctn.com/ as ISRCTN49285450. ..
- Khan K, El Asrag M, Ku C, Holder G, McKibbin M, Arno G, et al. Specific Alleles of CLN7/MFSD8, a Protein That Localizes to Photoreceptor Synaptic Terminals, Cause a Spectrum of Nonsyndromic Retinal Dystrophy. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2017;58:2906-2914 pubmed publisher..The data also shed light on the underlying pathogenesis by implicating the photoreceptor synaptic terminals as the major site of retinal disease. ..
- Weaver H, Farid S, Nashef S, Catarino P. Use of Intraaortic Balloon Pumps in Acute Type A Aortic Dissection. Ann Thorac Surg. 2017;104:e321-e322 pubmed publisher..The two cases presented here contribute to increasing the body of evidence to support the appropriate use of IABP in these patients. ..
- Lohner V, Brookes R, Hollocks M, Morris R, Markus H. Apathy, but not depression, is associated with executive dysfunction in cerebral small vessel disease. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0176943 pubmed publisher..Screening for apathy should be considered in SVD, and further work is required to develop and evaluate effective apathy treatment or management in SVD. ..
- van Dijken B, Yan J, Boonzaier N, Li C, van Laar P, van der Hoorn A, et al. Subventricular Zone Involvement Characterized by Diffusion Tensor Imaging in Glioblastoma. World Neurosurg. 2017;105:697-701 pubmed publisher..4, P < 0.001, respectively). DTI data showed that the subventricular zone is involved in glioblastoma with increased isotropic pÂ values in the subventricular zone with high FLAIR, indicating tumor infiltration. ..
- Keong N, Pena A, Price S, Czosnyka M, Czosnyka Z, DeVito E, et al. Diffusion tensor imaging profiles reveal specific neural tract distortion in normal pressure hydrocephalus. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0181624 pubmed publisher..i.e. return to normality. DTI profiling with p:q correlation may offer a non-invasive biomarker of the characteristics of potentially reversible white matter injury. ..
- Arbogast T, Iacono G, Chevalier C, Afinowi N, Houbaert X, van Eede M, et al. Mouse models of 17q21.31 microdeletion and microduplication syndromes highlight the importance of Kansl1 for cognition. PLoS Genet. 2017;13:e1006886 pubmed publisher..31 deletion. Together, these novel mouse models provide new genetic tools valuable for the development of therapeutic approaches. ..
- Lescrauwaet B, Miserocchi E, Thurau S, Bodaghi B, Duchateau L, Verstraeten T, et al. Association Between Visual Function Response and Reduction of Inflammation in Noninfectious Uveitis of the Posterior Segment. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2017;58:3555-3562 pubmed publisher..0009), and overall VFR (OR = 2.65; P < 0.0001). Inflammation reduction to a VH score of 0 or 0.5+ was significantly associated with improved visual function. Achieving a VH response of 0 or 0.5+ is a patient-relevant outcome. ..
- Bieleninik L, Geretsegger M, MÃ¶ssler K, Assmus J, Thompson G, Gattino G, et al. Effects of Improvisational Music Therapy vs Enhanced Standard Care on Symptom Severity Among Children With Autism Spectrum Disorder: The TIME-A Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA. 2017;318:525-535 pubmed publisher..These findings do not support the use of improvisational music therapy for symptom reduction in children with autism spectrum disorder. isrctn.org Identifier: ISRCTN78923965. ..
- Clare L, Wu Y, Teale J, Macleod C, Matthews F, Brayne C, et al. Potentially modifiable lifestyle factors, cognitive reserve, and cognitive function in later life: A cross-sectional study. PLoS Med. 2017;14:e1002259 pubmed publisher..Cross-sectional associations support the view that enhancing cognitive reserve may benefit cognition, and maintenance of cognitive health may be supported by a healthy and active lifestyle, in later life. ..
- Taylor E, Pantazaka E, Shelley K, Taylor C. Prostaglandin E2 Inhibits Histamine-Evoked Ca2+ Release in Human Aortic Smooth Muscle Cells through Hyperactive cAMP Signaling Junctions and Protein Kinase A. Mol Pharmacol. 2017;92:533-545 pubmed publisher..This sequence allows digital signaling from PGE2 receptors, through cAMP and PKA, to histamine-evoked Ca2+ signals. ..
- Murphy P, Rehal S, Arbane G, Bourke S, Calverley P, Crook A, et al. Effect of Home Noninvasive Ventilation With Oxygen Therapy vs Oxygen Therapy Alone on Hospital Readmission or Death After an Acute COPD Exacerbation: A Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA. 2017;317:2177-2186 pubmed publisher..Outcomes after exacerbations of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) requiring acute noninvasive ventilation (NIV) are poor and there are few treatments to prevent hospital readmission and death...
- Alwan F, Vendramin C, Vanhoorelbeke K, Langley K, McDonald V, Austin S, et al. Presenting ADAMTS13 antibody and antigen levels predict prognosis in immune-mediated thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura. Blood. 2017;130:466-471 pubmed publisher..3%. We conclude that both anti-ADAMTS13 IgG antibody and ADAMTS13 antigen levels correlate with outcome in TTP with increased cardiac and neurological involvement and increased mortality. ..
- Imamura F, Sharp S, Koulman A, Schulze M, Kröger J, Griffin J, et al. A combination of plasma phospholipid fatty acids and its association with incidence of type 2 diabetes: The EPIC-InterAct case-cohort study. PLoS Med. 2017;14:e1002409 pubmed publisher..Combinations of multiple fatty acids may influence cardiometabolic risk more than single fatty acids. The association of a combination of fatty acids with incident type 2 diabetes (T2D) has not been evaluated...
- Kelly A, Garner S, Foukaneli T, Godec T, Herbert N, Kahan B, et al. The effect of variation in donor platelet function on transfusion outcome: a semirandomized controlled trial. Blood. 2017;130:214-220 pubmed publisher..8-38.9) donors (mean difference, 2.3; 95% CI, -1.1 to 5.7; P = .18). These results support the current policy of not selecting platelet donors on the basis of platelet function for prophylactic platelet transfusion. ..
- Mackenbach J, Burgoine T, Lakerveld J, Forouhi N, Griffin S, Wareham N, et al. Accessibility and Affordability of Supermarkets: Associations With the DASH Diet. Am J Prev Med. 2017;53:55-62 pubmed publisher..98). Results suggest that geographic and economic access to food should be taken into account when considering approaches to promote adherence to healthy diets for the prevention of cardiovascular diseases and other chronic disease. ..
- Tan C, Alavi S, Baldeweg S, Belli A, Carson A, Feeney C, et al. The screening and management of pituitary dysfunction following traumatic brain injury in adults: British Neurotrauma Group guidance. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2017;88:971-981 pubmed publisher..It is hoped that future research will lead to more definitive recommendations in the form of guidelines. ..
- Webster S, Brode S, Ellis L, Fitzmaurice T, Elder M, Gekara N, et al. Detection of a microbial metabolite by STING regulates inflammasome activation in response to Chlamydia trachomatis infection. PLoS Pathog. 2017;13:e1006383 pubmed publisher..These data suggest a potential mechanism of how the innate immune system can distinguish between infectious and non-infectious insult and instigate appropriate immune responses that could be therapeutically targeted. ..