Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on humans in Southampton, England, United Kingdom
Locale: Southampton, England, United Kingdom
Publications431 found, 100 shown here
- Bønnelykke K, Sleiman P, Nielsen K, Kreiner Møller E, Mercader J, Belgrave D, et al. A genome-wide association study identifies CDHR3 as a susceptibility locus for early childhood asthma with severe exacerbations. Nat Genet. 2014;46:51-5 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate the strength of applying specific phenotyping in the search for asthma susceptibility genes. ..
- Aris I, Soh S, Tint M, Saw S, Rajadurai V, Godfrey K, et al. Associations of infant milk feed type on early postnatal growth of offspring exposed and unexposed to gestational diabetes in utero. Eur J Nutr. 2017;56:55-64 pubmed publisher..This study is registered under the Clinical Trials identifier NCT01174875; http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01174875?term=GUSTO&rank=2 . ..
- Abdul Jawad S, Ondondo B, van Hateren A, Gardner A, Elliott T, Korber B, et al. Increased Valency of Conserved-mosaic Vaccines Enhances the Breadth and Depth of Epitope Recognition. Mol Ther. 2016;24:375-384 pubmed publisher..Thus, our HLA-A*02:01-restricted epitope data concur with previously published mouse and macaque observations and suggest that even conserved region vaccines benefit from oligovalent mosaic design. ..
- Grzelewski T, Stelmach W, Stelmach R, Janas A, Grzelewska A, Witkowski K, et al. Spirometry-Adjusted Fraction of Exhaled Nitric Oxide Allows Asthma Diagnosis in Children, Adolescents, and Young Adults. Respir Care. 2016;61:162-72 pubmed publisher..We believe that our ratios are only supportive of the universally used parameters in the process of diagnosing asthma. (ClinicalTrials.gov registration NCT01805635.). ..
- Allan R, Morgan S, Brito Mutunayagam S, Skipp P, Feelisch M, Hayes S, et al. Low Concentrations of Nitric Oxide Modulate Streptococcus pneumoniae Biofilm Metabolism and Antibiotic Tolerance. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2016;60:2456-66 pubmed publisher..Treatment with low-concentration NO, therefore, appears to modulate pneumococcal metabolism and may represent a novel therapeutic approach to reduce antibiotic tolerance in pneumococcal biofilms. ..
- Rufai S, Holland L, Dimovska E, Bing Chuo C, Tilley S, Ellis H. A National Survey of Undergraduate Suture and Local Anesthetic Training in the United Kingdom. J Surg Educ. 2016;73:181-4 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that medical schools should provide more opportunities for students to develop their suturing skills to achieve the GMC standard. ..
- de Rooij T, Besselink M, Shamali A, Butturini G, Busch O, Edwin B, et al. Pan-European survey on the implementation of minimally invasive pancreatic surgery with emphasis on cancer. HPB (Oxford). 2016;18:170-176 pubmed publisher..MI pancreatoduodenectomy is still an uncommon procedure. Specific training and a randomized trial regarding MI pancreatic cancer surgery are welcomed. ..
- Naeem F, Johal R, McKenna C, Rathod S, Ayub M, Lecomte T, et al. Cognitive Behavior Therapy for psychosis based Guided Self-help (CBTp-GSH) delivered by frontline mental health professionals: Results of a feasibility study. Schizophr Res. 2016;173:69-74 pubmed publisher..An adequately powered randomized controlled trial of the intervention is warranted. ..
- Loy S, Wee P, Colega M, Cheung Y, Aris I, Chan J, et al. Maternal Night-Fasting Interval during Pregnancy Is Directly Associated with Neonatal Head Circumference and Adiposity in Girls but Not Boys. J Nutr. 2017;147:1384-1391 pubmed publisher..This trial was registered at clinicaltrials.gov as NCT01174875. ..
- Prieto J, Murphy C, Moore K, Fader M. WITHDRAWN: Intermittent catheterisation for long-term bladder management. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2017;8:CD006008 pubmed publisher..Such trials should include analysis of cost-effectiveness because there are likely to be substantial differences associated with the use of different catheter designs, catheterisation techniques and strategies. ..
- Cooke S, Jolley K, Ison C, Young H, Heckels J. Naturally occurring isolates of Neisseria gonorrhoeae, which display anomalous serovar properties, express PIA/PIB hybrid porins, deletions in PIB or novel PIA molecules. FEMS Microbiol Lett. 1998;162:75-82 pubmed..This is the first demonstration of naturally occurring gonococci expressing a hybrid Protein IA/IB...
- Barnard K, Parkin C, Young A, Ashraf M. Use of an automated bolus calculator reduces fear of hypoglycemia and improves confidence in dosage accuracy in patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus treated with multiple daily insulin injections. J Diabetes Sci Technol. 2012;6:144-9 pubmed..Randomized trials are needed to confirm these perceptions and determine whether bolus advisor use improves clinical outcomes. ..
- Pousios D, Gao F, Tsang G. Cardiobacterium hominis prosthetic valve endocarditis: an infrequent infection. Asian Cardiovasc Thorac Ann. 2012;20:327-9 pubmed publisher..The patient underwent replacement of the valve with a homograft, and received antibiotics postoperatively. She remained well after 12 months...
- Rozenberg S, Body J, Bruyere O, Bergmann P, Brandi M, Cooper C, et al. Effects of Dairy Products Consumption on Health: Benefits and Beliefs--A Commentary from the Belgian Bone Club and the European Society for Clinical and Economic Aspects of Osteoporosis, Osteoarthritis and Musculoskeletal Diseases. Calcif Tissue Int. 2016;98:1-17 pubmed publisher..Dairy products do not increase the risk of cardiovascular disease, particularly if low fat. Intake of up to three servings of dairy products per day appears to be safe and may confer a favourable benefit with regard to bone health. ..
- Zojer N, Ludwig H, Fiegl M, Stevenson F, Sahota S. Patterns of somatic mutations in VH genes reveal pathways of clonal transformation from MGUS to multiple myeloma. Blood. 2003;101:4137-9 pubmed..Transformation can occur at either MGUS stage, but it involves a single cell in which somatic mutation is then silent. ..
- Halford S, Leonard P. Space and place in the construction and performance of gendered nursing identities. J Adv Nurs. 2003;42:201-8 pubmed..Attention to space thus offers original insights to nurses working conditions as well as to inter-professional relations. ..
- Varney V, Tabbah K, Mavroleon G, Frew A. Usefulness of specific immunotherapy in patients with severe perennial allergic rhinitis induced by house dust mite: a double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled trial. Clin Exp Allergy. 2003;33:1076-82 pubmed..To evaluate the effectiveness of specific immunotherapy (SIT) in patients with severe house dust mite (HDM)-induced perennial allergic rhinitis using diary cards and objective endpoints...
- Bryant J, Clegg A, Sidhu M, Brodin H, Royle P, Davidson P. Systematic review of the Sugarbaker procedure for pseudomyxoma peritonei. Br J Surg. 2005;92:153-8 pubmed..The aim of this article is to assess the clinical effectiveness and costs of the Sugarbaker procedure for pseudomyxoma peritonei...
- Bryant J, Brodin H, Loveman E, Clegg A. Clinical effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of implantable cardioverter defibrillators for arrhythmias: a systematic review and economic evaluation. Int J Technol Assess Health Care. 2007;23:63-70 pubmed..Further research is needed on risk stratification of patients in whom ICDs are most likely to be clinically and cost-effective. ..
- Psychogiou L, Daley D, Thompson M, Sonuga Barke E. Do maternal attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder symptoms exacerbate or ameliorate the negative effect of child attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder symptoms on parenting?. Dev Psychopathol. 2008;20:121-37 pubmed publisher..The results support the similarity-fit hypothesis and highlight the importance of considering both child and maternal ADHD symptoms in studies of parenting. ..
- Lapham A, Adams J, Paterson A, Lee M, Brimmell M, Packham G. The Bcl-w promoter is activated by beta-catenin/TCF4 in human colorectal carcinoma cells. Gene. 2009;432:112-7 pubmed publisher..beta-catenin is activated in the majority of CRC and these results suggest that BCL-W may function as a downstream effector of inappropriate WNT/beta-catenin signalling. ..
- Winsloe C, Earl S, Dennison E, Cooper C, Harvey N. Early life factors in the pathogenesis of osteoporosis. Curr Osteoporos Rep. 2009;7:140-4 pubmed
- Cummings A, Knibb R, Erlewyn Lajeunesse M, King R, Roberts G, Lucas J. Management of nut allergy influences quality of life and anxiety in children and their mothers. Pediatr Allergy Immunol. 2010;21:586-94 pubmed publisher..Prescribing auto-injectors is associated with reduced anxiety for food allergic children and their mothers, but is not associated with improved adherence with medical management or reduced risk-taking behavior...
- Di Genova G, Savelyeva N, Suchacki A, Thirdborough S, Stevenson F. Bystander stimulation of activated CD4+ T cells of unrelated specificity following a booster vaccination with tetanus toxoid. Eur J Immunol. 2010;40:976-85 pubmed publisher..This crosstalk between a stimulated CD4(+) memory T-cell response and CD4(+) T cells activated by an unrelated antigen could be important in human subjects continually buffeted by environmental antigens. ..
- Stevenson F, Ottensmeier C, Rice J. DNA vaccines against cancer come of age. Curr Opin Immunol. 2010;22:264-70 pubmed publisher..Prolongation of remission is the goal and an activated immune system should achieve this. ..
- Mead G, Fossa S, Oliver R, Joffe J, Huddart R, Roberts J, et al. Randomized trials in 2466 patients with stage I seminoma: patterns of relapse and follow-up. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2011;103:241-9 pubmed publisher..From July 1, 1989, through March 31, 2001, 2466 patients with stage I seminoma were evaluated in three randomized noninferiority trials: the TE10, TE18, and TE19 trials. We analyzed mature results of these studies...
- Bishop F, Jacobson E, Shaw J, Kaptchuk T. Participants' experiences of being debriefed to placebo allocation in a clinical trial. Qual Health Res. 2012;22:1138-49 pubmed publisher..g., embedded in trusting and valued relationships with acupuncturists). We suggest ways in which debriefing to placebo allocation can be managed sensitively to facilitate positive outcomes for participants. ..
- de Andrés M, Kingham E, Imagawa K, Gonzalez A, Roach H, Wilson D, et al. Epigenetic regulation during fetal femur development: DNA methylation matters. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e54957 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, these findings demonstrate the role of epigenetic regulation, specifically DNA methylation, in bone development, informing and opening new possibilities in development of strategies for bone repair/tissue engineering...
- Publicover A, Richardson D, Davies A, Hill K, Hurlock C, Hutchins D, et al. Use of a biosimilar granulocyte colony-stimulating factor for peripheral blood stem cell mobilization: an analysis of mobilization and engraftment. Br J Haematol. 2013;162:107-11 pubmed publisher..The use of biosimilar GCSF can produce a significant cost saving, allowing investment in other areas of stem cell transplantation. ..
- Connett G. Cystic Fibrosis Nutrition--Chewing the Fat. Paediatr Respir Rev. 2016;17:42-4 pubmed publisher..Addressing poor adherence and more targeted multi-disciplinary interventions to prevent or reverse this pattern are key to achieving better outcomes for CF patients in the future. ..
- Hosseini A, Hirota J, Hackett T, McNagny K, Wilson S, Carlsten C. Morphometric analysis of inflammation in bronchial biopsies following exposure to inhaled diesel exhaust and allergen challenge in atopic subjects. Part Fibre Toxicol. 2016;13:2 pubmed publisher..URL: http://www.clinicaltrials.gov. Unique identifier: NCT01792232. ..
- Allen C, Vassilev I, Kennedy A, Rogers A. Long-Term Condition Self-Management Support in Online Communities: A Meta-Synthesis of Qualitative Papers. J Med Internet Res. 2016;18:e61 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, such resources require little negotiation online because information and support is seemingly gifted to the community by its members. ..
- Taberner P, Flanagan S, Mackay D, Ellard S, Taverna M, Ferraro M. Clinical and genetic features of Argentinian children with diabetes-onset before 12months of age: Successful transfer from insulin to oral sulfonylurea. Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2016;117:104-10 pubmed publisher..Investigating the underlying genetic basis of diabetes in children with onset before 1year is useful for choosing the most efficient treatment, the basis of Personalized Medicine. ..
- Bhutta Z, Lassi Z, Bergeron G, Koletzko B, Salam R, Diaz A, et al. Delivering an action agenda for nutrition interventions addressing adolescent girls and young women: priorities for implementation and research. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2017;1393:61-71 pubmed publisher..Beyond the evidence synthesis, there is a clear need to translate evidence into policy and for implementation of key recommendations and addressing knowledge gaps through prioritized research. ..
- MacDonald T, Di Sabatino A, DiSabatino A, Gordon J. Immunopathogenesis of Crohn's disease. JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr. 2005;29:S118-24; discussion S124-5, S184-8 pubmed
- Roach H, Yamada N, Cheung K, Tilley S, Clarke N, Oreffo R, et al. Association between the abnormal expression of matrix-degrading enzymes by human osteoarthritic chondrocytes and demethylation of specific CpG sites in the promoter regions. Arthritis Rheum. 2005;52:3110-24 pubmed..These changes, which are clonally transmitted to daughter cells, may contribute to the development of OA. ..
- Barber K, Harrison C, Broadfield Z, Stewart A, Wright S, Martineau M, et al. Molecular cytogenetic characterization of TCF3 (E2A)/19p13.3 rearrangements in B-cell precursor acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Genes Chromosomes Cancer. 2007;46:478-86 pubmed..In addition to its role as a fusion partner gene, we propose that TCF3 can also act as a tumor suppressor gene in BCP-ALL. ..
- Lwaleed B, Goyal A, Delves G, Gossai S, Greenfield R, Cooper A. Seminal factor VII and factor VIIa: supporting evidence for the presence of an active tissue factor-dependent coagulation pathway in human semen. Int J Androl. 2007;30:543-9 pubmed..This finding reinforces the concept of an active clotting system in human semen, by establishing the missing link in the activation of a TF-dependent pathway. ..
- Phillips A, Blaydes J. MNK1 and EIF4E are downstream effectors of MEKs in the regulation of the nuclear export of HDM2 mRNA. Oncogene. 2008;27:1645-9 pubmed..This pathway, therefore, may play an important role in the dysregulation of HDM2 oncoprotein expression that occurs in many human tumours. ..
- Stokes M, Hides J, Elliott J, Kiesel K, Hodges P. Rehabilitative ultrasound imaging of the posterior paraspinal muscles. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2007;37:581-95 pubmed..Further investigation of many of these observations is required using controlled studies to provide conclusive evidence that RUSI enhances clinical practice...
- Perrio M, Wilton L, Shakir S. The safety profiles of orlistat and sibutramine: results of prescription-event monitoring studies in England. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2007;15:2712-22 pubmed..The PEM studies highlighted different adverse event profiles for orlistat and sibutramine that were consistent with their distinct pharmacological mechanisms and other published information. ..
- Cooper C, Harvey N, Javaid K, Hanson M, Dennison E. Growth and bone development. Nestle Nutr Workshop Ser Pediatr Program. 2008;61:53-68 pubmed publisher..The optimization of maternal nutrition and intrauterine growth should also be included within preventive strategies against osteoporotic fracture, albeit for future generations. ..
- Jomary C, Jones S, Lotery A. Generation of light-sensitive photoreceptor phenotypes by genetic modification of human adult ocular stem cells with Crx. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2010;51:1181-9 pubmed publisher..Nevertheless, this study demonstrates that genetic modification of adult human retinal stem cells can cause differentiation into light-sensitive photoreceptor phenotypes. ..
- Robinson S, Dixon S, August S, Diffey B, Wakamatsu K, Ito S, et al. Protection against UVR involves MC1R-mediated non-pigmentary and pigmentary mechanisms in vivo. J Invest Dermatol. 2010;130:1904-13 pubmed publisher..The results indicate that MC1R protects by a combination of pigmentary and non-pigmentary effects in vivo and that when MC1R function is compromised the melanin type in skin is still protective against UVR. ..
- Kingdon D, Ashcroft K, Bhandari B, Gleeson S, Warikoo N, Symons M, et al. Schizophrenia and borderline personality disorder: similarities and differences in the experience of auditory hallucinations, paranoia, and childhood trauma. J Nerv Ment Dis. 2010;198:399-403 pubmed publisher..Levels of reported childhood trauma are especially high in those with a BPD diagnosis, whether they have schizophrenia or not, and this requires assessment and appropriate management. ..
- Coombs M, Long Sutehall T, Shannon S. International dialogue on end of life: challenges in the UK and USA. Nurs Crit Care. 2010;15:234-40 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, knowledge from other disciplines can provide a useful lens through which to improve our understanding of EoLC. ..
- England A, Valdes A, Slater Jefferies J, Gill R, Howell W, Calder P, et al. Variants in the genes encoding TNF-?, IL-10, and GSTP1 influence the effect of ?-tocopherol on inflammatory cell responses in healthy men. Am J Clin Nutr. 2012;95:1461-7 pubmed publisher..These genotype-specific differences may help explain some of the discordant results in studies that used vitamin E. ..
- Ockhuijsen H, van den Hoogen A, Boivin J, Macklon N, de Boer F. Exploring a self-help coping intervention for pregnant women with a miscarriage history. Appl Nurs Res. 2015;28:285-92 pubmed publisher..Women adapted the way in which they used the PRCI and DRK based on their judgment about the effect, the intensity of the emotions they experienced, or whether they felt the effort to use these instruments to be worthwhile or not. ..
- Hulton L, Matthews Z, Bandali S, Izge A, Daroda R, Stones W. Accountability for quality of care: Monitoring all aspects of quality across a framework adapted for action. Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2016;132:110-6 pubmed publisher..Certification offers a practical and concrete opportunity to drive quality standards up and reward good performance. It also offers a mechanism to strengthen accountability. ..
- Kobbernagel H, Buchvald F, Haarman E, Casaulta C, Collins S, Hogg C, et al. Study protocol, rationale and recruitment in a European multi-centre randomized controlled trial to determine the efficacy and safety of azithromycin maintenance therapy for 6 months in primary ciliary dyskinesia. BMC Pulm Med. 2016;16:104 pubmed publisher..EudraCT 2013-004664-58 (date of registration: 2014-04-08). ..
- Gabriel J. Understanding the challenges to vascular access in an ageing population. Br J Nurs. 2017;26:S15-S23 pubmed publisher..The article will look at the healthcare challenges facing the older population, and the importance of a holistic approach to assess their vascular access needs to deliver optimum care. ..
- Coker A, Purvis A, Baker D, Pepys M, Wood S. Molecular chaperone properties of serum amyloid P component. FEBS Lett. 2000;473:199-202 pubmed..We discuss the possibility that the chaperone property of SAP, or its failure, may contribute to the pathogenesis of amyloidosis. ..
- Marshall L, Perks B, Ferkol T, Shute J. IL-8 released constitutively by primary bronchial epithelial cells in culture forms an inactive complex with secretory component. J Immunol. 2001;167:2816-23 pubmed..The data indicate that in the airways IL-8 may be solubilized and inactivated by binding to SC. ..
- Clough G, Boutsiouki P, Church M. Comparison of the effects of levocetirizine and loratadine on histamine-induced wheal, flare, and itch in human skin. Allergy. 2001;56:985-8 pubmed..Levocetirizine (5 mg) is a potent inhibitor of the effects of histamine in human skin with an efficacy that exceeded that of loratadine (10 mg) when single doses of the drugs were administered 4 h before the test. ..
- Roderick P, Armitage A. Renal services for people with diabetes in the UK. Diabet Med. 2002;19 Suppl 4:56-60 pubmed..Continued expansion of high-quality RRT is needed that ensures equity of access with particular targeting in areas with large ethnic minority populations. A national priority must be an increase in the kidney transplant rate. ..
- Dennison E, Cole Z, Cooper C. Diagnosis and epidemiology of osteoporosis. Curr Opin Rheumatol. 2005;17:456-61 pubmed
- Salam A, Williams C, Manners R. Expulsion of a lacrimal dacryolith by sneezing: a rare event. Eur J Ophthalmol. 2006;16:161-3 pubmed..To describe the case of a man presenting with intermittent epiphora of the right eye and a low grade dacryocystitis due to a dacryolith...
- Goto M, Piper Hanley K, Marcos J, Wood P, Wright S, Postle A, et al. In humans, early cortisol biosynthesis provides a mechanism to safeguard female sexual development. J Clin Invest. 2006;116:953-60 pubmed
- Holloway J, Barton S, Holgate S, Rose Zerilli M, Sayers I. The role of LTA4H and ALOX5AP polymorphism in asthma and allergy susceptibility. Allergy. 2008;63:1046-53 pubmed publisher..17, CI 1.41-3.32). These data provide evidence for the role of SNPs spanning the ALOX5AP and LTA4H genes in asthma and atopy susceptibility in the Caucasian population and support a role for LTB(4) in disease pathogenesis. ..
- Gilbert R, Turner C, Gibson J, Bass P, Haq M, Cross E, et al. Mutations in phospholipase C epsilon 1 are not sufficient to cause diffuse mesangial sclerosis. Kidney Int. 2009;75:415-9 pubmed publisher..We conclude this nonpenetrance may be due to compensatory mutations at a second locus and that mutation within PLCE1 is not always sufficient to cause diffuse mesangial sclerosis. ..
- Gibson D, Bruton A, White P. Acupuncture for respiratory disorder: what's the point?. Expert Rev Respir Med. 2010;4:29-37 pubmed..Currently, there is insufficient evidence to support a recommendation for the use of acupuncture in respiratory disorders. ..
- Aurich Barrera B, Wilton L, Brown D, Shakir S. Paediatric postmarketing pharmacovigilance using prescription-event monitoring: comparison of the adverse event profiles of lamotrigine prescribed to children and adults in England. Drug Saf. 2010;33:751-63 pubmed publisher..This study demonstrated that signal detection methods can be used to detect quantitative and qualitative differences in the AE profiles between the first children and adults taking a newly licensed drug. ..
- Mc Sharry J, Bishop F, Moss Morris R, Kendrick T. 'The chicken and egg thing': cognitive representations and self-management of multimorbidity in people with diabetes and depression. Psychol Health. 2013;28:103-19 pubmed publisher..An awareness of patients' understanding of multimorbidity could have implications for the provision of care and intervention design in this population. ..
- Roberts G, Xatzipsalti M, Borrego L, Custovic A, Halken S, Hellings P, et al. Paediatric rhinitis: position paper of the European Academy of Allergy and Clinical Immunology. Allergy. 2013;68:1102-16 pubmed publisher..Allergen-specific immunotherapy is helpful in IgE-mediated AR and may prevent the progression of allergic disease. There are still a number of areas that need to be clarified in the management of rhinitis in children and adolescents. ..
- Arden Close E, Teasdale E, Tonkin Crine S, Pitre N, Stafford Watson M, Gibson D, et al. Patients' perceptions of the potential of breathing training for asthma: a qualitative study. Prim Care Respir J. 2013;22:449-53 pubmed publisher..To enhance uptake, it might be helpful to present breathing training exercises as holistic skills that can also benefit those with mild symptoms. ..
- Sonnenschein van der Voort A, Arends L, de Jongste J, Annesi Maesano I, Arshad S, Barros H, et al. Preterm birth, infant weight gain, and childhood asthma risk: a meta-analysis of 147,000 European children. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2014;133:1317-29 pubmed publisher..01-1.27). Younger gestational age at birth and higher infant weight gain were associated with childhood asthma outcomes. The associations of lower birth weight with childhood asthma were largely explained by gestational age at birth. ..
- Forsberg L, Rasi C, Malmqvist N, Davies H, Pasupulati S, Pakalapati G, et al. Mosaic loss of chromosome Y in peripheral blood is associated with shorter survival and higher risk of cancer. Nat Genet. 2014;46:624-8 pubmed publisher..LOY in blood could become a predictive biomarker of male carcinogenesis...
- Malan L, Baumgartner J, Zandberg L, Calder P, Smuts C. Iron and a mixture of DHA and EPA supplementation, alone and in combination, affect bioactive lipid signalling and morbidity of iron deficient South African school children in a two-by-two randomised controlled trial. Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids. 2016;105:15-25 pubmed publisher..5 month randomised controlled trial and might lead to a safer approach of delivering iron supplementation. The study was registered at clinicaltrials.gov as NCT01092377. ..
- Jensen D, Asselah T, Dieterich D, Foster G, Sulkowski M, Zeuzem S, et al. Faldaprevir, pegylated interferon, and ribavirin for treatment-naïve HCV genotype-1: pooled analysis of two phase 3 trials. Ann Hepatol. 2016;15:333-49 pubmed publisher..Addition of faldaprevir to PegIFN/RBV increased SVR12 in patients with HCV genotype-1, and was well tolerated. Faldaprevir 120 mg is effective in the treatment of HCV genotype-1. ClinicalTrials.gov: NCT01343888 and NCT01297270. ..
- Breheny D, Adamson J, Azzopardi D, Baxter A, Bishop E, Carr T, et al. A novel hybrid tobacco product that delivers a tobacco flavour note with vapour aerosol (Part 2): In vitro biological assessment and comparison with different tobacco-heating products. Food Chem Toxicol. 2017;106:533-546 pubmed publisher..The findings suggest these products have the potential for reduced health risks. Further pre-clinical and clinical assessments are required to substantiate the risk reduction of these novel products at individual and population levels. ..
- Cooper C. Osteoporosis: disease severity and consequent fracture management. Osteoporos Int. 2010;21 Suppl 2:S425-9 pubmed publisher..It has been demonstrated to be effective for a broad spectrum of patients, including women with osteopenia, osteoporosis, and severe disease. ..
- Kapur N. Syndromes of retrograde amnesia: a conceptual and empirical synthesis. Psychol Bull. 1999;125:800-25 pubmed..Discontinuities and dissociations found in published studies point to the potential fractionation of retrograde amnesia into component disorders, each with its own neural profile...
- Flavell D, Warnes S, Noss A, Flavell S. Anti-CD7 antibody and immunotoxin treatment of human CD7(+)T-cell leukaemia is significantly less effective in NOD/LtSz-scid mice than in CB.17 scid mice. Br J Cancer. 2000;83:1755-61 pubmed
- Mishra R, Scaife J, Harb Z, Gray B, Djukanovic R, Dent G. Differential dependence of eosinophil chemotactic responses on phosphoinositide 3-kinase (PI3K). Allergy. 2005;60:1204-7 pubmed..This may indicate a limit to the potential of PI3K inhibitors to suppress tissue eosinophilia in diseases such as asthma. ..
- Sonuga Barke E, Brookes K, Buitelaar J, Anney R, Bitsakou P, Baeyens D, et al. Intelligence in DSM-IV combined type attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder is not predicted by either dopamine receptor/transporter genes or other previously identified risk alleles for attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder. Am J Med Genet B Neuropsychiatr Genet. 2008;147:316-9 pubmed..We also observed no association of other SNPs with IQ in ADHD. ..
- Peveler R, Branford D, Citrome L, Fitzgerald P, Harvey P, Holt R, et al. Antipsychotics and hyperprolactinaemia: clinical recommendations. J Psychopharmacol. 2008;22:98-103 pubmed publisher..We hope it will add to the debate about this topic. ..
- Kasliwal R, Wilton L, Shakir S. Safety and drug utilization profile of varenicline as used in general practice in England: interim results from a prescription-event monitoring study. Drug Saf. 2009;32:499-507 pubmed publisher..Results presented are expected to change as the cohort size increases. Results of this study should be taken into account together with other clinical and pharmacoepidemiological studies. ..
- Tijou I, Yardley L, Sedikides C, Bizo L. Understanding adherence to physiotherapy: findings from an experimental simulation and an observational clinical study. Psychol Health. 2010;25:231-47 pubmed publisher..It is therefore important to measure both persistence over time and adherence during sessions, and to investigate the predictors of each dimension of adherence. ..
- Bailey C, Wagland R, Dabbour R, Caress A, Smith J, Molassiotis A. An integrative review of systematic reviews related to the management of breathlessness in respiratory illnesses. BMC Pulm Med. 2010;10:63 pubmed publisher..In addition, pharmacological treatments do not completely manage breathlessness and have an added burden of side effects. It is therefore important to focus more research on promising non-pharmacological interventions. ..
- Khandhadia S, Trump D, Menon G, Lotery A. X-linked retinoschisis maculopathy treated with topical dorzolamide, and relationship to genotype. Eye (Lond). 2011;25:922-8 pubmed publisher..In our case series, genotypic information did not predict the response to this treatment. ..
- Middleton J, Lennan E. Effectively managing chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting. Br J Nurs. 2011;20:S7-8, S10-2, S14-15 pubmed..To conclude, a brief look at nursing implications and self-management strategies are explored...
- Kyle A, Veldtman G, Stanton M, Weeden D, Baral V. Barotrauma-associated posterior tension pneumomediastinum, a rare cause of cardiac tamponade in a ventilated neonate: a case report and review of the literature. Acta Paediatr. 2012;101:e142-4 pubmed publisher..Posterior pneumomediastinum is rare, but can potentially cause fatal tamponade. Such cases must be managed in a tertiary centre where cardiology and surgical expertize are available. ..