Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on humans in Nottingham, United Kingdom
Locale: Nottingham, United Kingdom
- McMillan S, Jacobs S, Wilson L, Theodoros T, Robinson G, Anderson C, et al. Antipsychotic prescribing for vulnerable populations: a clinical audit at an acute Australian mental health unit at two-time points. BMC Psychiatry. 2017;17:139 pubmed publisher..Further consideration should be given when prescribing antipsychotics for involuntary patients, people with frequent hospitalisations, and those who have previously trialled clozapine. ..
- Barrett R, Colnaghi R, Wheatley S. Threonine 48 in the BIR domain of survivin is critical to its mitotic and anti-apoptotic activities and can be phosphorylated by CK2 in vitro. Cell Cycle. 2011;10:538-48 pubmed..To our knowledge these data are the first to identify T48 as a key regulatory site on survivin, and CK2 as a mediator of its mitotic and anti-apoptotic functions. ..
- Sharquie I, Al Ghouleh A, Fitton P, Clark M, Armour K, Sewell H, et al. An investigation into IgE-facilitated allergen recognition and presentation by human dendritic cells. BMC Immunol. 2013;14:54 pubmed publisher..However, no such effect was demonstrable via surface IgG. IgE bound to its high affinity receptor plays an important role in Der p 1 uptake and processing by peripheral blood DCs and in Th2 polarisation of T cells. ..
- Woolston C, Deen S, Al Attar A, Shehata M, Chan S, Martin S. Redox protein expression predicts progression-free and overall survival in ovarian cancer patients treated with platinum-based chemotherapy. Free Radic Biol Med. 2010;49:1263-72 pubmed publisher..038), and was independent of other clinical parameters (p=0.048). Such results support the suitability of using redox protein expression to predict response and, potentially, to alter treatment options accordingly...
- Elsaba T, Martinez Pomares L, Robins A, Crook S, Seth R, Jackson D, et al. The stem cell marker CD133 associates with enhanced colony formation and cell motility in colorectal cancer. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e10714 pubmed publisher..We conclude that CD133 expression in CRCs is associated with some features attributable to stemness and that there is plasticity of CD133 expression. Further studies are necessary to delineate the mechanistic basis of these features. ..
- Koczwara A, Patterson F, Zibarras L, Kerrin M, Irish B, Wilkinson M. Evaluating cognitive ability, knowledge tests and situational judgement tests for postgraduate selection. Med Educ. 2012;46:399-408 pubmed publisher..Further research should consider the validity of the tests in this study in predicting subsequent performance in training. ..
- Holme R, Steel K. Genes involved in deafness. Curr Opin Genet Dev. 1999;9:309-14 pubmed..To date, mutations in at least 35 genes are known to cause hearing loss. We are now beginning to understand the function of many of these genes, which affect diverse aspects of ear development and function...
- Muthuri S, Hui M, Doherty M, Zhang W. What if we prevent obesity? Risk reduction in knee osteoarthritis estimated through a meta-analysis of observational studies. Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2011;63:982-90 pubmed publisher..The benefit of modifying this risk factor may cause significant risk reduction of knee OA in the general population, especially in Western countries where obesity is prevalent. ..
- Roberts A, Lewis A, Jopling C. miR-122 activates hepatitis C virus translation by a specialized mechanism requiring particular RNA components. Nucleic Acids Res. 2011;39:7716-29 pubmed publisher..This study provides an important insight into the requirements for the miR-122-HCV interaction, and the broader consequences of miRNAs binding to 5'-UTR sites. ..
- Bessell E, Dickinson P, Dickinson S, Salmon J. Increasing age at diagnosis and worsening renal function in patients with primary central nervous system lymphoma. J Neurooncol. 2011;104:191-3 pubmed publisher..The increasing age of patients with PCNSL and decreasing renal function limit the intensity of chemotherapy with MTX containing regimens. ..
- Redsell S, Atkinson P, Nathan D, Siriwardena A, Swift J, Glazebrook C. Parents' beliefs about appropriate infant size, growth and feeding behaviour: implications for the prevention of childhood obesity. BMC Public Health. 2010;10:711 pubmed publisher..Some parents also need guidance about how to recognize and prepare healthy foods and facilitate physical activity for their infants. ..
- Quraishi N. Transforaminal injection of corticosteroids for lumbar radiculopathy: systematic review and meta-analysis. Eur Spine J. 2012;21:214-9 pubmed publisher..Transforaminal epidural injection of steroids is used to treat lumbar radicular pain. However, there are only a few well-designed randomized, controlled studies on the effectiveness of steroid injection...
- Alashek W, McIntyre C, Taal M. Provision and quality of dialysis services in Libya. Hemodial Int. 2011;15:444-52 pubmed publisher....
- Palaniyappan L, Balain V, Radua J, Liddle P. Structural correlates of auditory hallucinations in schizophrenia: a meta-analysis. Schizophr Res. 2012;137:169-73 pubmed publisher..With its key role in stimulus evaluation and optimizing prediction (proximal salience), the insula is likely to be a cardinal region along with superior temporal gyrus in the mechanism of auditory hallucinations in schizophrenia. ..
- Clothier R, Gomez Lechon M, Kinsner Ovaskainen A, Kopp Schneider A, O Connor J, Prieto P, et al. Comparative analysis of eight cytotoxicity assays evaluated within the ACuteTox Project. Toxicol In Vitro. 2013;27:1347-56 pubmed publisher..This approach did not allow to show tissue specific toxicity but it does reveal the effectiveness of the clustering methodology for choosing assays for a testing program for predicting e.g. acute oral toxicity in humans. ..
- El Haroun H, Clarke D, Deacon K, Bradbury D, Clayton A, Sutcliffe A, et al. IL-1beta, BK, and TGF-beta1 attenuate PGI2-mediated cAMP formation in human pulmonary artery smooth muscle cells by multiple mechanisms involving p38 MAP kinase and PKA. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2008;294:L553-62 pubmed..These studies suggest that IL-1beta, BK, and TGF-beta1 impair IP receptor-mediated cAMP accumulation by multiple effects on different components of the signaling pathway and that these effects are PKA and p38 MAP kinase dependent. ..
- Aleskandarany M, Negm O, Rakha E, Ahmed M, Nolan C, Ball G, et al. TOMM34 expression in early invasive breast cancer: a biomarker associated with poor outcome. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2012;136:419-27 pubmed publisher..Our findings underscore the role played by mitochondrial machinery in BC progression and warrant their validation on a prospective basis. ..
- Alshareeda A, Soria D, Garibaldi J, Rakha E, Nolan C, Ellis I, et al. Characteristics of basal cytokeratin expression in breast cancer. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2013;139:23-37 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, four basal cytokeratin expression patterns were identified in human breast cancer using unsupervised clustering analysis and these patterns are associated with differences in patient outcome...
- Bradley P, Rinaldo A, Suarez C, Shaha A, Leemans C, Langendijk J, et al. Primary treatment of the anterior vocal commissure squamous carcinoma. Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol. 2006;263:879-88 pubmed..The use of the above recommendations would allow for more meaningful results to be reported and for cause specific analysis of failure of treatment techniques applied. ..
- Richards C, Bouman W, Seal L, Barker M, Nieder T, T sjoen G. Non-binary or genderqueer genders. Int Rev Psychiatry. 2016;28:95-102 pubmed publisher..Treatment options and associated risks are discussed. ..
- Ramaswamy R, Macarthur D, White B. Vascular threat in base of skull fractures. Br J Neurosurg. 2004;18:197-8 pubmed
- Deacon K, Onion D, Kumari R, Watson S, Knox A. Elevated SP-1 transcription factor expression and activity drives basal and hypoxia-induced vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) expression in non-small cell lung cancer. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:39967-81 pubmed publisher..These studies are the first to demonstrate that overexpression of SP-1 plays a central role in hypoxia-induced VEGF secretion. ..
- Bacardit J, Widera P, Márquez Chamorro A, Divina F, Aguilar Ruiz J, Krasnogor N. Contact map prediction using a large-scale ensemble of rule sets and the fusion of multiple predicted structural features. Bioinformatics. 2012;28:2441-8 pubmed..http://icos.cs.nott.ac.uk/servers/psp.html. email@example.com Supplementary data are available at Bioinformatics online. ..
- Roberts P. Renegotiating forensic cultures: between law, science and criminal justice. Stud Hist Philos Biol Biomed Sci. 2013;44:47-59 pubmed publisher..Fruitful interdisciplinary collaboration between scholars with a shared interest in forensic science should dispense with reductive cultural stereotypes of Science and Law. ..
- Miri A, Alomar T, Nubile M, Al Aqaba M, Lanzini M, Fares U, et al. In vivo confocal microscopic findings in patients with limbal stem cell deficiency. Br J Ophthalmol. 2012;96:523-9 pubmed publisher..To describe in vivo confocal microscopy (IVCM) findings in patients with limbal stem cell deficiency (LSCD)...
- Shao B, Bayraktutan U. Hyperglycaemia promotes cerebral barrier dysfunction through activation of protein kinase C-β. Diabetes Obes Metab. 2013;15:993-9 pubmed publisher..HG promotes cerebral-barrier dysfunction through activation of PKC-β and consequent stimulations of oxidative stress and tight junction dissolution. ..
- Abhishek A, Roddy E, Doherty M. Gout - a guide for the general and acute physicians. Clin Med (Lond). 2017;17:54-59 pubmed publisher..However, a clinical diagnosis of gout can be made if joint aspiration is not feasible. This review summarises the current understanding of the pathophysiology, clinical presentation, investigations and treatment of gout. ..
- ..New research is needed into the therapeutic comparative effectiveness and safety of the many products available, and to better understand the natural history, subtypes, and triggers of acne. ..
- Faria N, Quick J, Claro I, Theze J, de Jesus J, Giovanetti M, et al. Establishment and cryptic transmission of Zika virus in Brazil and the Americas. Nature. 2017;546:406-410 pubmed publisher..The role of northeast Brazil in the establishment of ZIKV in the Americas is further supported by geographic analysis of ZIKV transmission potential and by estimates of the basic reproduction number of the virus...
- Al Barrak L, Kanjo E, Younis E. NeuroPlace: Categorizing urban places according to mental states. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0183890 pubmed publisher..We present and discuss the challenges in making our initial prototype more practical, robust, and reliable as part of our on-going research. In addition, we present some enabling applications using the proposed architecture. ..
- Sanvito L, Tomita A, Chihara N, Okamoto T, Lin Y, Ogawa M, et al. Increase of Ki-67+ natural killer cells in multiple sclerosis patients treated with interferon-β and interferon-β combined with low-dose oral steroids. J Neuroimmunol. 2011;236:111-7 pubmed publisher..This study, although limited, shows that treatment with IFN-β affects NK cell cycle without altering NK cell apoptosis in MS patients. ..
- MacIntosh H, Coleman T. Characteristics and prevalence of hardcore smokers attending UK general practitioners. BMC Fam Pract. 2006;7:24 pubmed..General practitioners need to find approaches for raising the issue of smoking during consultations in ways that do not reinforce the negative opinions of hardcore smokers concerning smoking cessation. ..
- Arshad A, Altaf N, Goode S, Auer D, MacSweeney S. Leukoaraiosis predicts the need for intraoperative shunt placement during carotid endarterectomy. Perspect Vasc Surg Endovasc Ther. 2009;21:173-7 pubmed publisher..This may reflect an association with impaired cerebral hemodynamics. Hence, the authors studied whether ipsilateral WMHLs predict shunt requirement on clamping as an indicator of hemodynamic compromise...
- Rakha E, Ellis I. Triple-negative/basal-like breast cancer: review. Pathology. 2009;41:40-7 pubmed publisher..In this review, we discuss the difference between TN and basal-like tumours, pathological and clinical features of basal-like cancer and hence explore the criteria that can be used to identify these tumours in routine practice...
- Patil B, Foss A. Upper lid orbicularis oculi muscle strip and sequential brow suspension with autologous fascia lata is beneficial for selected patients with essential blepharospasm. Eye (Lond). 2009;23:1549-53 pubmed publisher..The aim of this study was to assess the outcome of this staged surgical approach...
- Burwell R, Aujla R, Freeman B, Dangerfield P, Cole A, Kirby A, et al. The posterior skeletal thorax: rib-vertebral angle and axial vertebral rotation asymmetries in adolescent idiopathic scoliosis. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2008;140:263-8 pubmed....
- Agrawal A, Ayantunde A, Cheung K. Concepts of seroma formation and prevention in breast cancer surgery. ANZ J Surg. 2006;76:1088-95 pubmed..The aim of this paper is to review the concepts of pathophysiology of seroma formation following mastectomy and breast-conserving surgery for cancer. The various techniques in practice to reduce its incidence and treatment are outlined...
- Bottrill K. Information: needs for the future. Altern Lab Anim. 2002;30 Suppl 2:145-9 pubmed..Finally, the future of Three Rs information depends on a recognition that this in an important topic which deserves more than lip service. ..
- Downing N, Dewnany G, Radford P. A rare and serious consequence of a rat bite. Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 2001;83:279-80 pubmed..Septic arthritis of the hip due to S. moniliformis has not been previously described and this case highlights a possible danger of keeping rats as pets...
- Smith H, Dunn A, Baguley T, Stacey P. Matching novel face and voice identity using static and dynamic facial images. Atten Percept Psychophys. 2016;78:868-79 pubmed publisher..In addition, the inconsistencies in previous research might depend on the specific stimulus sets used; our multilevel modeling analyses show that some people look and sound more similar than others. ..
- Glover M, O Shaughnessy K. Molecular insights from dysregulation of the thiazide-sensitive WNK/SPAK/NCC pathway in the kidney: Gordon syndrome and thiazide-induced hyponatraemia. Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol. 2013;40:876-84 pubmed publisher....
- Quaife S, Ruparel M, Beeken R, McEwen A, Isitt J, Nolan G, et al. The Lung Screen Uptake Trial (LSUT): protocol for a randomised controlled demonstration lung cancer screening pilot testing a targeted invitation strategy for high risk and 'hard-to-reach' patients. BMC Cancer. 2016;16:281 pubmed publisher..This study was registered with the ISRCTN (International Standard Registered Clinical/soCial sTudy Number: ISRCTN21774741) on the 23rd September 2015 and the NIH ClinicalTrials.gov database (NCT0255810) on the 22nd September 2015. ..
- Brown K, Keogh M, Tagiuri N, Grainge M, Presanis J, Ryder S, et al. Severe fibrosis in hepatitis C virus-infected patients is associated with increased activity of the mannan-binding lectin (MBL)/MBL-associated serine protease 1 (MASP-1) complex. Clin Exp Immunol. 2007;147:90-8 pubmed..The potential role of MBL/MASP-1 complex activity in disease progression is worthy of further study to investigate possible mechanistic links. ..
- Socci L, Kumaran M, Malik M, Martin Ucar A. The left thoracotomy approach for excision of distal tracheal carcinoma in the presence of right-sided aorta. Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg. 2013;16:560-2 pubmed publisher..The surgical exposure was excellent once the ligamentum arteriosum had been divided. All the aortic arch branches and the phrenic, vagus and recurrent laryngeal nerves were identified and preserved. ..
- Hubbard R, Venn A. The impact of coexisting connective tissue disease on survival in patients with fibrosing alveolitis. Rheumatology (Oxford). 2002;41:676-9 pubmed..56, 95% confidence interval 4.77-6.49). The median survival in patients with fibrosing alveolitis is less then 3 yr. We found no evidence to support previous reports of a better prognosis amongst patients with FA-CTD. ..
- Crundall D, Cole G, Underwood G. Attentional and automatic processes in line tracing: is tracing obligatory?. Percept Psychophys. 2008;70:422-30 pubmed..We conclude that line tracing is a strategy whose initial deployment can be influenced by top-down factors, rather than an obligatory response triggered by the stimuli-although, once engaged, line tracing may be hard to stop. ..
- Elsheikh S, Green A, Rakha E, Samaka R, Ammar A, Powe D, et al. Caveolin 1 and Caveolin 2 are associated with breast cancer basal-like and triple-negative immunophenotype. Br J Cancer. 2008;99:327-34 pubmed publisher..Further studies are warranted to determine whether they play an oncogenic role in basal-like/triple-negative breast cancer development or are just surrogate markers for this subgroup. ..
- Shapey S, Machin K, Levi K, Boswell T. Activity of a dry mist hydrogen peroxide system against environmental Clostridium difficile contamination in elderly care wards. J Hosp Infect. 2008;70:136-41 pubmed publisher..This relatively quick and user-friendly technology might be a more reliable method of terminally disinfecting isolation rooms, following detergent cleaning, compared to the manual application of other disinfectants. ..
- Kilpatrick L, Briddon S, Holliday N. Fluorescence correlation spectroscopy, combined with bimolecular fluorescence complementation, reveals the effects of β-arrestin complexes and endocytic targeting on the membrane mobility of neuropeptide Y receptors. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2012;1823:1068-81 pubmed publisher....
- Bragheeth M, Fares U, Dua H. Re-treatment after laser in situ keratomileusis for correction of myopia and myopic astigmatism. Br J Ophthalmol. 2008;92:1506-10 pubmed publisher..To evaluate the results of laser in situ keratomileusis (LASIK) re-treatment for under correction or regression after primary LASIK procedures for myopia and myopic astigmatism...
- Pal D, Bayley E, Magaji S, Boszczyk B. Freehand determination of the trajectory angle for cervical lateral mass screws: how accurate is it?. Eur Spine J. 2011;20:972-6 pubmed publisher..In patients with gross degenerative or deformed cervical spine anatomy, this may increase the risk of neurovascular injury. The use of the ipsilateral lamina as an anatomical reference plane is supported...
- Tavakol S, Dennick R, Tavakol M. Psychometric properties and confirmatory factor analysis of the Jefferson Scale of Physician Empathy. BMC Med Educ. 2011;11:54 pubmed publisher..The limitations of the study are discussed and some recommendations are made for future practice. ..
- Mayhew T, Lucocq J. Multiple-labelling immunoEM using different sizes of colloidal gold: alternative approaches to test for differential distribution and colocalization in subcellular structures. Histochem Cell Biol. 2011;135:317-26 pubmed publisher..These simple and efficient approaches should be of more immediate utility to those interested in codistribution and colocalization in multiple immunogold labelling investigations. ..
- Peel S, Liu B, Hall I. ORAI and store-operated calcium influx in human airway smooth muscle cells. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 2008;38:744-9 pubmed publisher..These data extend the major tissue types in which these proteins appear to be major determinants of SOC influx, and suggest that modulation of these pathways may prove useful in the treatment of bronchoconstriction. ..
- Singh H, Forward D, Davis T, Dawson J, Oni J, Downing N. Partial union of acute scaphoid fractures. J Hand Surg Br. 2005;30:440-5 pubmed..We conclude that partial union of the scaphoid is a common occurrence but, in most cases, it progresses to full union without the need for prolonged plaster immobilization...
- Dennis M, Dennison A, Morris D. Parasitic causes of obstructive jaundice. Ann Trop Med Parasitol. 1989;83:159-61 pubmed..K. with 'parasitic' obstructive jaundice. In one case the parasite involved was Clonorchis, and in the other it was Echinococcus. Both these parasites are uncommon in this country...
- Glover M, Ware J, Henry A, Wolley M, Walsh R, Wain L, et al. Detection of mutations in KLHL3 and CUL3 in families with FHHt (familial hyperkalaemic hypertension or Gordon's syndrome). Clin Sci (Lond). 2014;126:721-6 pubmed publisher..As a third of our non-WNK FHHt families do not have plausible CUL3 or KLHL3 variants, there are probably additional, as yet undiscovered, regulators of the thiazide-sensitive pathways. ..
- Narkwichean A, Maalouf W, Campbell B, Jayaprakasan K. Efficacy of dehydroepiandrosterone to improve ovarian response in women with diminished ovarian reserve: a meta-analysis. Reprod Biol Endocrinol. 2013;11:44 pubmed publisher..Well-designed, randomised controlled trials as well as more exact knowledge about DHEA mechanisms of action are needed to support use of DHEA in standard practice for poor-responders. ..
- Murphy R. Training in the diagnosis and management of vulvovaginal diseases. J Reprod Med. 2007;52:87-92 pubmed....
- Nankervis H, Maplethorpe A, Williams H. Mapping randomized controlled trials of treatments for eczema--the GREAT database (the Global Resource of EczemA Trials: a collection of key data on randomized controlled trials of treatments for eczema from 2000 to 2010). BMC Dermatol. 2011;11:10 pubmed publisher..The database can be accessed free of charge at http://www.greatdatabase.org.uk. ..
- Brown R, Hudson N, Wilson G, Rehman S, Jabbari S, Hu K, et al. Hepatitis C virus envelope glycoprotein fitness defines virus population composition following transmission to a new host. J Virol. 2012;86:11956-66 pubmed publisher..Overall, these data provide important insights into the dynamics and selection of HCV populations during transmission...
- Evans E, Saxton J, Shelton S, Begitt A, Holliday N, Hipskind R, et al. Dimer formation and conformational flexibility ensure cytoplasmic stability and nuclear accumulation of Elk-1. Nucleic Acids Res. 2011;39:6390-402 pubmed publisher..These findings define a novel role for the ETS domain of Elk-1 and demonstrate that nuclear accumulation of Elk-1 involves conformational flexibility prior to its phosphorylation by MAPKs. ..