Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on humans in Nottingham, England, United Kingdom
Locale: Nottingham, England, United Kingdom
Publications808 found, 100 shown here
- Coole C, Nouri F, Potgieter I, Drummond A. Completion of fit notes by GPs: a mixed methods study. Perspect Public Health. 2015;135:233-42 pubmed publisher..Weaknesses in the design and format of the fit note and the availability of the electronic version also need to be addressed. ..
- Zou K, Xiao F, Li H, Zhou Q, Ban L, Yang M, et al. Risk of cardiovascular disease in Chinese patients with rheumatoid arthritis: A cross-sectional study based on hospital medical records in 10 years. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0180376 pubmed publisher..The findings justified the need of further longitudinal study to establish the causal-relationship between RA and CVD and to estimate the precise risk in this population. ..
- Timmons S, Tanner J. A disputed occupational boundary: operating theatre nurses and Operating Department Practitioners. Sociol Health Illn. 2004;26:645-66 pubmed..A further unusual feature of this dispute is the fact that, unlike many attempts by managers to substitute one type of labour for another, issues of cost are relatively unimportant, as both theatre nurses and ODPs earn similar salaries. ..
- Dow G, Hussein A, Robertson I. Supratentorial intraventricular schwannoma. Br J Neurosurg. 2004;18:561-2 pubmed..A 16-year-old male with asymptomatic papilloedema was found to have a 5-cm intraventricular tumour arising from the trigone of the right lateral ventricle. A craniotomy and total macroscopic excision was performed. ..
- Seabra R, Bhogal N. In vivo research using early life stage models. In Vivo. 2010;24:457-62 pubmed..With this succinct review, we aim to provide an overview of different biological issues that have been successfully explored with the help of eggs, embryos and larvae from the frog, zebrafish and chicken...
- Foley S, Garsed K, Singh G, Duroudier N, Swan C, Hall I, et al. Impaired uptake of serotonin by platelets from patients with irritable bowel syndrome correlates with duodenal immune activation. Gastroenterology. 2011;140:1434-43.e1 pubmed publisher..2 [0.42-3.5] vs 0.50 [0.25-0.86] ng·mL(-1)·mg(-1) for HVs; P = .03). Platelet SERT is reduced in IBS-D and associated with reduced levels of SERT mRNA and duodenal immune activation. ..
- Armon K, Stephenson T, MacFaul R, Hemingway P, Werneke U, Smith S. An evidence and consensus based guideline for the management of a child after a seizure. Emerg Med J. 2003;20:13-20 pubmed..Only one alteration was made to the guideline as a result of this validation process, which is included here. ..
- Hawkey C, Weinstein W, Smalley W, Gitton X, Sallstig P, Stricker K, et al. Effect of risk factors on complicated and uncomplicated ulcers in the TARGET lumiracoxib outcomes study. Gastroenterology. 2007;133:57-64 pubmed..Lumiracoxib maintained an advantage over NSAIDs across all subgroups except aspirin use. Lumiracoxib was associated with a reduced risk of ulcer complications compared with NSAIDs in all significant subgroups except aspirin users. ..
- Seedhouse C, Grundy M, White P, Li Y, Fisher J, Yakunina D, et al. Sequential influences of leukemia-specific and genetic factors on p-glycoprotein expression in blasts from 817 patients entered into the National Cancer Research Network acute myeloid leukemia 14 and 15 trials. Clin Cancer Res. 2007;13:7059-66 pubmed..Moreover, leukemia-specific factors, such as low WBC count and poor risk cytogenetics, have a much greater effect than genetic polymorphisms on Pgp expression in AML blasts. ..
- Barrett R, Randle J. Hand hygiene practices: nursing students' perceptions. J Clin Nurs. 2008;17:1851-7 pubmed publisher..For nursing students, the influence of other HCWs as role models should not be underestimated. ..
- Prasad U, Gray D, Purcell H. Review of the If selective channel inhibitor ivabradine in the treatment of chronic stable angina. Adv Ther. 2009;26:127-37 pubmed publisher..This review provides an insight into this new agent, its historical background, mechanism of action, and pathophysiologic basis, and provides up-to-date evidence-based information on its optimum use in stable angina. ..
- Findlay J, Yeung J, Robinson R, Greaves H, Maxwell Armstrong C. Peripheral neuromodulation via posterior tibial nerve stimulation - a potential treatment for faecal incontinence?. Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 2010;92:385-90 pubmed publisher..These early results are encouraging, but we await medium- and long-term follow-up, and a larger randomised trial comparing PTNS with alternative treatments and placebo. ..
- El Shunnar S, Hoare D, Smith S, Gander P, Kang S, Fackrell K, et al. Primary care for tinnitus: practice and opinion among GPs in England. J Eval Clin Pract. 2011;17:684-92 pubmed publisher..Further work should therefore evaluate current informational resources and propose effective modes of delivering educational updates. ..
- Alomar T, Al Aqaba M, Gray T, Lowe J, Dua H. Histological and confocal microscopy changes in chronic corneal edema: implications for endothelial transplantation. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2011;52:8193-207 pubmed publisher..To report in vivo confocal microscopic (IVCM) features in corneal edema supported by histopathologic correlation...
- McGovern D, Webb B, Peirce J. Transfer of perceptual learning between different visual tasks. J Vis. 2012;12:4 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that sensory improvements derived from perceptual learning can transfer between very different visual tasks. ..
- Lee A, Key H, Bell J, Kumah P, Hodi Z, Ellis I. The effect of delay in fixation on HER2 expression in invasive carcinoma of the breast assessed with immunohistochemistry and in situ hybridisation. J Clin Pathol. 2014;67:573-5 pubmed publisher..The other carcinomas were amplified at all time points. Delayed fixation impaired HER2 protein expression assessed using immunohistochemistry in 22% of 3+ carcinomas. HER2 amplification assessed using FISH may be less affected. ..
- Hay A, Little P, Harnden A, Thompson M, Wang K, Kendrick D, et al. Effect of Oral Prednisolone on Symptom Duration and Severity in Nonasthmatic Adults With Acute Lower Respiratory Tract Infection: A Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA. 2017;318:721-730 pubmed publisher..Oral corticosteroids should not be used for acute lower respiratory tract infection symptoms in adults without asthma because they do not reduce symptom duration or severity. ISRCTN.com Identifier: ISRCTN57309858. ..
- Donovan S, Clayton A, Beeharry M, Jones S, Kirk C, Waters K, et al. Deliberate self-harm and antidepressant drugs. Investigation of a possible link. Br J Psychiatry. 2000;177:551-6 pubmed..001). The occurrence of DSH was highest with fluoxetine and lowest with amitriptyline. Merely prescribing safer-in-overdose antidepressants is unlikely to reduce the overall morbidity from DSH. ..
- Ho S, Zaman A. Clinical features and outcomes of pars plana vitrectomy in patients with retained lens fragments after phacoemulsification. J Cataract Refract Surg. 2007;33:2106-10 pubmed..The incidence of raised IOP in patients who had anterior vitrectomy at the time of cataract surgery was low. The visual outcomes were good, and the incidence of complications was low irrespective of the timing of the PPV. ..
- Bath Hextall F, Jenkinson C, Humphreys R, Williams H. Dietary supplements for established atopic eczema. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2012;:CD005205 pubmed publisher..Whilst some may argue that at least supplements do not do any harm, high doses of vitamin D may give rise to serious medical problems, and the cost of long-term supplements may also mount up. ..
- Corney R, Sunderland C, James L. Immediate pre-meal water ingestion decreases voluntary food intake in lean young males. Eur J Nutr. 2016;55:815-819 pubmed publisher..This might therefore be an effective strategy to suppress energy intake in this population and possibly assist with weight management. ..
- Storey R, Wilcox R, Heptinstall S. Differential effects of glycoprotein IIb/IIIa antagonists on platelet microaggregate and macroaggregate formation and effect of anticoagulant on antagonist potency. Implications for assay methodology and comparison of different antagonists. Circulation. 1998;98:1616-21 pubmed..These observations have implications for the interpretation and comparison of pharmacodynamic assays and possibly for the risk/benefit ratio of different agents. ..
- Jeffcoate W. Assessment of corticosteroid replacement therapy in adults with adrenal insufficiency. Ann Clin Biochem. 1999;36 ( Pt 2):151-7 pubmed..In such circumstances, a cortisol day curve is likely to be of more value than measurement of UFC. ..
- Jones D. Why do in utero stem cell transplants sometimes fail?. Mol Med Today. 1999;5:288-91 pubmed..However, the relatively few cases performed so far have not borne out initial hopes, and both the source and the type of cell preparation to be transplanted and the choice of disorders to target with this therapy remain controversial. ..
- Bradley P, Jones N, Robertson I. Diagnosis and management of esthesioneuroblastoma. Curr Opin Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2003;11:112-8 pubmed..Five-year survival currently appears to be optimized by surgery followed by postoperative radiotherapy and is approximately 65%...
- Howe L, Jones N. Guidelines for the management of periorbital cellulitis/abscess. Clin Otolaryngol Allied Sci. 2004;29:725-8 pubmed..These guidelines have been approved across disciplines in our unit and trialled successfully for 2 years. ..
- Jackson S, Wilson J, MacCarthy B. A new model of scheduling in manufacturing: tasks, roles, and monitoring. Hum Factors. 2004;46:533-50 pubmed
- Hill M, Deam S, Gordon B, Dolan G. Mutation analysis in 51 patients with haemophilia A: report of 10 novel mutations and correlations between genotype and clinical phenotype. Haemophilia. 2005;11:133-41 pubmed..The genotype-phenotype correlations of the FVIII mutations detected will be discussed. ..
- Burwell R, Aujla R, Kirby A, Dangerfield P, Moulton A, Freeman B, et al. Leg-arm length ratios correlate with severity of apical vertebral rotation in girls after school screening for adolescent idiopathic scoliosis (AIS): a dynamic pathomechanism in the initiation of the deformity?. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2008;140:189-93 pubmed..Curve progression needs other mechanisms that may include a central nervous system failure to control structural asymmetry of vertebral axial rotation, and biomechanical spinal growth modulation. ..
- Martin G, Currie G, Finn R. Bringing genetics into primary care: findings from a national evaluation of pilots in England. J Health Serv Res Policy. 2009;14:204-11 pubmed publisher..More wide-ranging policy and organizational support is required if the aim of entrenching genetics knowledge and practice across the Health Service is to be realized. ..
- Vinogradova Y, Hippisley Cox J, Coupland C. Identification of new risk factors for pneumonia: population-based case-control study. Br J Gen Pract. 2009;59:e329-38 pubmed publisher..44 (95% CI=2.24 to 2.65). As well as confirming some established risk factors, this study has determined seven new independent risk factors for community-acquired pneumonia. ..
- Quraishi N, Giannoulis K, Edwards K, Boszczyk B. Management of metastatic sacral tumours. Eur Spine J. 2012;21:1984-93 pubmed publisher..This study aims to review the available literature in the management of sacral metastatic tumours as reflected in the current literature...
- Pine Abata H, McNeill A, Raw M, Bitton A, Rigotti N, Murray R. A survey of tobacco dependence treatment guidelines in 121 countries. Addiction. 2013;108:1470-5 pubmed publisher..To report progress among Parties to the World Health Organization (WHO) Framework Convention on Tobacco Control (FCTC) in developing national tobacco treatment guidelines in accordance with FCTC Article 14 guideline recommendations...
- Hoare D, Pierzycki R, Thomas H, McAlpine D, Hall D. Evaluation of the acoustic coordinated reset (CR®) neuromodulation therapy for tinnitus: study protocol for a double-blind randomized placebo-controlled trial. Trials. 2013;14:207 pubmed publisher..ClinicalTrials.gov, NCT01541969. ..
- Newport R, Hindle J, Jackson S. Links between vision and somatosensation. Vision can improve the felt position of the unseen hand. Curr Biol. 2001;11:975-80 pubmed
- Strachan B, Sahota D, van Wijngaarden W, James D, Chang A. Computerised analysis of the fetal heart rate and relation to acidaemia at delivery. BJOG. 2001;108:848-52 pubmed..03 P = 0.002; 0.62 SD 0.04 P < 0.001, respectively). Tachycardia, accelerations and variability did not. The individual components of the computerised analysis of the fetal heart rate that predict acidaemia at delivery are identified. ..
- Brooks A, Simpson A, Delbridge M, Beckingham I, Girling K. Validation of direct intraabdominal pressure measurement using a continuous indwelling compartment pressure monitor. J Trauma. 2005;58:830-2 pubmed..According to recommendations, intraabdominal pressure should be monitored every 8 hours for patients at high risk of abdominal compartment syndrome. Continuous intraabdominal pressure monitoring may be valuable for these patients...
- Newman S, Sutton D, Segarra R, Lamarca R, de Miquel G. Lung deposition of aclidinium bromide from Genuair, a multidose dry powder inhaler. Respiration. 2009;78:322-8 pubmed publisher..The whole lung deposition seen in this study is an indication of the likely whole lung deposition in COPD patients who inhale with similar PIFRs; however, further studies in patients are required to confirm this. ..
- Allegrucci C, Rushton M, Dixon J, Sottile V, Shah M, Kumari R, et al. Epigenetic reprogramming of breast cancer cells with oocyte extracts. Mol Cancer. 2011;10:7 pubmed publisher..These applications can ultimately shed light on the contribution of epigenetic alterations in breast cancer and advance the development of epigenetic therapies. ..
- Falcone F, Knol E, Gibbs B. The role of basophils in the pathogenesis of allergic disease. Clin Exp Allergy. 2011;41:939-47 pubmed publisher..This review highlights the recent advances in understanding the role of this rather enigmatic cell in allergy...
- Moore D. The diagnosis and management of auditory processing disorder. Lang Speech Hear Serv Sch. 2011;42:303-8 pubmed publisher..We should be optimistic that collaboration between clinicians and researchers will result in much greater understanding and improved management of listening disorders in the near future. ..
- Hall D, Láinez M, Newman C, Sanchez T, Egler M, Tennigkeit F, et al. Treatment options for subjective tinnitus: self reports from a sample of general practitioners and ENT physicians within Europe and the USA. BMC Health Serv Res. 2011;11:302 pubmed publisher..For subjective tinnitus in particular, effective therapeutic options with guidelines about key diagnostic criteria are urgently needed. ..
- Murray K, Wilkinson Smith V, Hoad C, Costigan C, Cox E, Lam C, et al. Differential effects of FODMAPs (fermentable oligo-, di-, mono-saccharides and polyols) on small and large intestinal contents in healthy subjects shown by MRI. Am J Gastroenterol. 2014;109:110-9 pubmed publisher..Adding glucose to fructose reduces the effect of fructose on SBWC and breath hydrogen. Inulin distends the colon with gas more than fructose, but causes few symptoms in healthy volunteers. ..
- Torrance M, Johansson R, Johansson V, Wengelin Ã. Reading during the composition of multi-sentence texts: an eye-movement study. Psychol Res. 2016;80:729-43 pubmed publisher..We suggest that these fixations do not serve solely, or even primarily, in monitoring for error, but play an important role in planning ongoing production. ..
- Kapur N, Steeg S, Turnbull P, Webb R, Bergen H, Hawton K, et al. Hospital management of suicidal behaviour and subsequent mortality: a prospective cohort study. Lancet Psychiatry. 2015;2:809-16 pubmed publisher..Aspects of routine management might be associated with a lower mortality risk but these effects vary by clinical subgroup. UK Department of Health. ..
- Jones B, Haycraft E, Murjan S, Arcelus J. Body dissatisfaction and disordered eating in trans people: A systematic review of the literature. Int Rev Psychiatry. 2016;28:81-94 pubmed publisher..Additionally, the findings appear to suggest that gender dysphoria treatment is successful at increasing body satisfaction and improving body image. The clinical implications are discussed. ..
- Zaccardi F, Webb D, Davies M, Dhalwani N, Gray L, Chatterjee S, et al. Predicting hospital stay, mortality and readmission in people admitted for hypoglycaemia: prognostic models derivation and validation. Diabetologia. 2017;60:1007-1015 pubmed publisher..This simple and pragmatic tool to predict in-hospital death and 24 h discharge has the potential to reduce mortality and improve discharge in people admitted for hypoglycaemia. ..
- Blecher T. What happens to the microspherocytosis of hereditary spherocytosis in folate deficiency?. Clin Lab Haematol. 1988;10:403-8 pubmed
- Finch R, Eliopoulos G. Safety and efficacy of glycopeptide antibiotics. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2005;55 Suppl 2:ii5-13 pubmed..This paper is intended to provide a global overview of the efficacy and safety of glycopeptide antibiotics currently in use, as background to understanding the need for and potential roles of new agents of this class. ..
- Pitcairn G, Reader S, Pavia D, Newman S. Deposition of corticosteroid aerosol in the human lung by Respimat Soft Mist inhaler compared to deposition by metered dose inhaler or by Turbuhaler dry powder inhaler. J Aerosol Med. 2005;18:264-72 pubmed..The results of this study showed that Respimat SMI deposited corticosteroid more efficiently in the lungs than either of two widely used inhaler devices, Turbuhaler DPI or Becloforte pMDI...
- Ryan C, Harries J, Kindle K, Collins H, Heery D. Functional interaction of CREB binding protein (CBP) with nuclear transport proteins and modulation by HDAC inhibitors. Cell Cycle. 2006;5:2146-52 pubmed..Our results provide evidence for novel functional interactions between the chromatin modification enzyme CBP and nuclear transport proteins in mammalian cells. ..
- Hosking D, Lyles K, Brown J, Fraser W, Miller P, Curiel M, et al. Long-term control of bone turnover in Paget's disease with zoledronic acid and risedronate. J Bone Miner Res. 2007;22:142-8 pubmed..A reduction in the incidence and severity of long-term complications may require persistent normalization of bone turnover over many years, and this now seems a realistic possibility with ZOL. ..
- El Zaatari M, Tobias A, Grabowska A, Kumari R, Scotting P, Kaye P, et al. De-regulation of the sonic hedgehog pathway in the InsGas mouse model of gastric carcinogenesis. Br J Cancer. 2007;96:1855-61 pubmed
- Todd I, Radford P, Ziegler Heitbrock L, Ghaemmaghami A, Powell R, Tighe P. Elevated CD16 expression by monocytes from patients with tumor necrosis factor receptor-associated periodic syndrome. Arthritis Rheum. 2007;56:4182-8 pubmed..The level of CD16 expression by monocytes was elevated in patients with TRAPS, as a feature of the underlying constitutive inflammation status. ..
- Glenn J, White A, Johnson A, Fox S, Myers B, Heptinstall S. Raised levels of CD39 in leucocytosis result in marked inhibition of ADP-induced platelet aggregation via rapid ADP hydrolysis. Platelets. 2008;19:59-69 pubmed publisher..It is concluded that ADP-induced platelet aggregation in leucocytosis is reduced as a result of enhanced ADP metabolism due to raised levels of leucocyte-associated CD39. ..
- Duncan T, Al Attar A, Rolland P, Scott I, Deen S, Liu D, et al. Vascular endothelial growth factor expression in ovarian cancer: a model for targeted use of novel therapies?. Clin Cancer Res. 2008;14:3030-5 pubmed publisher..The small percentage of tumors with high levels of VEGF activity suggests that the role of bevacizumab may potentially be limited to a few patients; these patients could be targeted by molecular profiling. ..
- Dimitropoulou P, Lophatananon A, Easton D, Pocock R, Dearnaley D, Guy M, et al. Sexual activity and prostate cancer risk in men diagnosed at a younger age. BJU Int. 2009;103:178-85 pubmed publisher..Alternatively, there is a possibility of reverse causation in explaining part of the protective effect seen for men in their 50s. ..
- Walsh R, Rutland C, Thomas R, Loughna S. Cardiomyopathy: a systematic review of disease-causing mutations in myosin heavy chain 7 and their phenotypic manifestations. Cardiology. 2010;115:49-60 pubmed publisher..This study suggests that mutation location in the MYH7 gene and changes in amino acid composition can have a negative impact on the disease outcome in individuals with cardiomyopathy. ..
- Roy T, Anderson C, Evans C, Rahman M. Sexual risk behaviour of rural-to-urban migrant taxi drivers in Dhaka, Bangladesh: a cross-sectional behavioural survey. Public Health. 2010;124:648-58 pubmed publisher..Nonetheless, the fact that most men were having unprotected sex with sex workers reinforces the importance of continuing to target interventions towards commercial sex contexts. ..
- Reniers R, Corcoran R, Drake R, Shryane N, Vollm B. The QCAE: a Questionnaire of Cognitive and Affective Empathy. J Pers Assess. 2011;93:84-95 pubmed publisher..Gender differences, convergent validity, and construct validity were examined. The QCAE is a valid tool for assessing cognitive and affective empathy. ..
- Aithal G. Hepatotoxicity related to antirheumatic drugs. Nat Rev Rheumatol. 2011;7:139-50 pubmed publisher..Detailed understanding of genetic and environmental factors underlying an individual's susceptibility would enable risk reduction and potentially primary prevention of hepatotoxicity. ..
- Miller S, Rogers H, Lyon P, Rand V, Adamowicz Brice M, Clifford S, et al. Genome-wide molecular characterization of central nervous system primitive neuroectodermal tumor and pineoblastoma. Neuro Oncol. 2011;13:866-79 pubmed publisher..043). This genome-wide analysis revealed the marked molecular heterogeneity of CNS PNETs and enabled the identification of novel genes and clinical associations potentially involved in the pathogenesis of these tumors. ..
- Markwick L, Clements D, Roberts M, Ceresa C, Knox A, Johnson S. CCR3 induced-p42/44 MAPK activation protects against staurosporine induced-DNA fragmentation but not apoptosis in airway smooth muscle cells. Clin Exp Allergy. 2012;42:1040-50 pubmed publisher..CCR3 is strongly expressed by ASM cells in vitro and in vivo. Protection against cell death by CCR3 activation is dependent on p42/44 MAPK but does not affect caspase 3 mediated apoptosis. ..
- Tatler A, Jenkins G. TGF-? activation and lung fibrosis. Proc Am Thorac Soc. 2012;9:130-6 pubmed publisher..This article describes the mechanisms through which epithelial cells activate TGF-? by the ?v?6 integrin and mesenchymal cells activate TGF-? by the ?v?5 integrin, and highlights their roles in lung fibrosis...
- Masud T, Frost M, Ryg J, Matzen L, Ibsen M, Abrahamsen B, et al. Central nervous system medications and falls risk in men aged 60-75 years: the Study on Male Osteoporosis and Aging (SOMA). Age Ageing. 2013;42:121-4 pubmed publisher..Further longitudinal data are now required to confirm and further investigate the role of CNS drugs in falls causation in men. ..
- Weng S, Redsell S, Swift J, Yang M, Glazebrook C. Systematic review and meta-analyses of risk factors for childhood overweight identifiable during infancy. Arch Dis Child. 2012;97:1019-26 pubmed publisher..Several risk factors for both overweight and obesity in childhood are identifiable during infancy. Future research needs to focus on whether it is clinically feasible for healthcare professionals to identify infants at greatest risk. ..
- Tyson J, Armour J. Determination of haplotypes at structurally complex regions using emulsion haplotype fusion PCR. BMC Genomics. 2012;13:693 pubmed publisher..This study has demonstrated a novel use for emulsion haplotype fusion PCR in addressing the issue of reconstructing structural haplotypes at multiallelic copy variable regions, using the DEFA1A3 locus as an example. ..
- Radford K, Phillips J, Drummond A, Sach T, Walker M, Tyerman A, et al. Return to work after traumatic brain injury: cohort comparison and economic evaluation. Brain Inj. 2013;27:507-20 pubmed publisher..This positive trend was achieved without greatly increased health costs, suggesting cost-effectiveness. This study justifies the need for and can inform a definitive Randomized Controlled Trial (RCT). ..
- Chau D, Johnson C, MacNeil S, Haycock J, Ghaemmaghami A. The development of a 3D immunocompetent model of human skin. Biofabrication. 2013;5:035011 pubmed publisher..Once fully optimized, this model can also be used as a platform for testing the allergenic potential of new chemicals and drug leads. ..
- Flaherty K, Hennig M, Lee S, Ascierto P, Dummer R, Eggermont A, et al. Surrogate endpoints for overall survival in metastatic melanoma: a meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials. Lancet Oncol. 2014;15:297-304 pubmed publisher..None. ..
- Erhardt J, Windsor B, Kerry R, Hoekstra C, Powell D, Porter Hoke A, et al. The immediate effect of atlanto-axial high velocity thrust techniques on blood flow in the vertebral artery: A randomized controlled trial. Man Ther. 2015;20:614-22 pubmed publisher..HVT to the atlanto-axial joint segment does not affect the haemodynamics of the sub-occipital portion of the vertebral artery during or immediately following HVT in healthy subjects. ..
- Kilpatrick L, Friedman Ohana R, Alcobia D, Riching K, Peach C, Wheal A, et al. Real-time analysis of the binding of fluorescent VEGF165a to VEGFR2 in living cells: Effect of receptor tyrosine kinase inhibitors and fate of internalized agonist-receptor complexes. Biochem Pharmacol. 2017;136:62-75 pubmed publisher..In the absence of RTKIs, the BRET signal is decreased over time as a consequence of the dissociation of agonist from the receptor in intracellular endosomes and recycling of VEGFR2 back to the plasma membrane. ..
- Hill S, Ganellin C, Timmerman H, Schwartz J, Shankley N, Young J, et al. International Union of Pharmacology. XIII. Classification of histamine receptors. Pharmacol Rev. 1997;49:253-78 pubmed
- Spiller R, Jenkins D, Thornley J, Hebden J, Wright T, Skinner M, et al. Increased rectal mucosal enteroendocrine cells, T lymphocytes, and increased gut permeability following acute Campylobacter enteritis and in post-dysenteric irritable bowel syndrome. Gut. 2000;47:804-11 pubmed..001), as was gut permeability (p<0.01). Increased EC, T lymphocytes, and gut permeability are acute changes following Campylobacter enteritis which can persist for more than a year and may contribute to PD-IBS. ..
- Turner J, Faulkner H, Kamgno J, Else K, Boussinesq M, Bradley J. A comparison of cellular and humoral immune responses to trichuroid derived antigens in human trichuriasis. Parasite Immunol. 2002;24:83-93 pubmed..Our findings suggest that T. muris preparations could be used as an alternative to T. trichiura proteins as a source of antigens in ex vivo cultures and that ES products stimulate a distinct immune response compared to somatic antigens...
- Affleck A, Ravenscroft J, Leach I. Chilblain-like leukemia cutis. Pediatr Dermatol. 2007;24:38-41 pubmed..Juvenile myelomonocytic leukemia was diagnosed after a bone marrow biopsy and spontaneous marrow colony growth in culture...
- Argent R, Burette A, Miendje Deyi V, Atherton J. The presence of dupA in Helicobacter pylori is not significantly associated with duodenal ulceration in Belgium, South Africa, China, or North America. Clin Infect Dis. 2007;45:1204-6 pubmed..We determined the prevalence of dupA in H. pylori strains recovered from 4 independent populations and found a significant association with gastric cancer but not with duodenal ulceration. ..
- Marciani L, Cox E, Hoad C, Pritchard S, Totman J, Foley S, et al. Postprandial changes in small bowel water content in healthy subjects and patients with irritable bowel syndrome. Gastroenterology. 2010;138:469-77, 477.e1 pubmed publisher..Patients with IBS-D have reduced fasting and postprandial SBWC with faster transit, possibly indicating increased small intestinal tone. ..
- Othman N, Kendrick D. Epidemiology of burn injuries in the East Mediterranean Region: a systematic review. BMC Public Health. 2010;10:83 pubmed publisher..Burn injuries remain an important public health issue in the East Mediterranean Region therefore further research is required to investigate the problem and assess the effectiveness of intervention programmes. ..
- Iyu D, Glenn J, White A, Fox S, Heptinstall S. Adenosine derived from ADP can contribute to inhibition of platelet aggregation in the presence of a P2Y12 antagonist. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2011;31:416-22 pubmed publisher..Inhibition occurs in PRP but not in whole blood except when adenosine uptake is inhibited. None of the P2Y?? antagonists studied replicated the effects of dipyridamole in the experiments that were performed. ..
- Pritchard D, Blount D, Schmid Grendelmeier P, Till S. Parasitic worm therapy for allergy: is this incongruous or avant-garde medicine?. Clin Exp Allergy. 2012;42:505-12 pubmed publisher..Then, should this approach prove successful, we suggest strategies to improve the delivery of helminth therapy, and ways to discover immune response modifiers derived from worms. ..
- Storr S, Zaitoun A, Arora A, Durrant L, Lobo D, Madhusudan S, et al. Calpain system protein expression in carcinomas of the pancreas, bile duct and ampulla. BMC Cancer. 2012;12:511 pubmed publisher..365-0.968; P = 0.037). The results suggest that calpain-2 and calpastatin expression is important in pancreatic cancers, influencing disease progression. The findings of this study warrant a larger follow-up study. ..
- Ban L, Gibson J, West J, Fiaschi L, Oates M, Tata L. Impact of socioeconomic deprivation on maternal perinatal mental illnesses presenting to UK general practice. Br J Gen Pract. 2012;62:e671-8 pubmed publisher..Strong socioeconomic inequalities in perinatal mental illness persist with increasing maternal age. Targeting detection and effective interventions to high-risk women may reduce inequity and avoid substantial psychiatric morbidity. ..
- Craddock C, Jilani N, Siddique S, Yap C, Khan J, Nagra S, et al. Tolerability and Clinical Activity of Post-Transplantation Azacitidine in Patients Allografted for Acute Myeloid Leukemia Treated on the RICAZA Trial. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant. 2016;22:385-390 pubmed publisher..These observations require confirmation in a prospective clinical trial. ..
- McShefferty D, Whitmer W, Akeroyd M. The Just-Meaningful Difference in Speech-to-Noise Ratio. Trends Hear. 2016;20: pubmed publisher..This SNR JMD of the order of 6â€‰dB provides a new benchmark, indicating the SNR improvement necessary to immediately motivate participants to seek intervention. ..
- Bowman S, Everett C, O Dwyer J, Emery P, Pitzalis C, Ng W, et al. Randomized Controlled Trial of Rituximab and Cost-Effectiveness Analysis in Treating Fatigue and Oral Dryness in Primary Sjögren's Syndrome. Arthritis Rheumatol. 2017;69:1440-1450 pubmed publisher..The results of this study indicate that rituximab is neither clinically effective nor cost-effective in this patient population. ..
- McGinnis R, Steinthorsdottir V, Williams N, Thorleifsson G, Shooter S, Hjartardottir S, et al. Variants in the fetal genome near FLT1 are associated with risk of preeclampsia. Nat Genet. 2017;49:1255-1260 pubmed publisher..An additional nearby variant, rs12050029, associated with preeclampsia independently of rs4769613. The newly discovered locus may enhance understanding of the pathophysiology of preeclampsia and its subtypes. ..