Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on humans in Newcastle upon Tyne, England, United Kingdom
Locale: Newcastle upon Tyne, England, United Kingdom
Publications1183 found, 100 shown here
- O Dowd L, Durham J, McCracken G, Preshaw P. Patients' experiences of the impact of periodontal disease. J Clin Periodontol. 2010;37:334-9 pubmed publisher..Periodontal disease reportedly affects patients' lives in a negative manner in a variety of ways. This is of relevance in the management of patients with periodontitis. ..
- Thorpe A, Neal D. Benign prostatic hyperplasia. Lancet. 2003;361:1359-67 pubmed..We review the pathophysiology of the disease, and current approaches to investigation and management of this common problem. ..
- Gillespie J. A developing view of the origins of urgency: the importance of animal models. BJU Int. 2005;96 Suppl 1:22-8 pubmed
- Chinnery P, Elliott H, Patel S, Lambert C, Keers S, Durham S, et al. Role of the mitochondrial DNA 16184-16193 poly-C tract in type 2 diabetes. Lancet. 2005;366:1650-1 pubmed..16, 95% CI 0.94-1.44). Genetic variation of the 16184-16193 poly-C tract is unlikely to have a major role in the cause of type 2 diabetes. ..
- Milner J, Kevorkian L, Young D, Jones D, Wait R, Donell S, et al. Fibroblast activation protein alpha is expressed by chondrocytes following a pro-inflammatory stimulus and is elevated in osteoarthritis. Arthritis Res Ther. 2006;8:R23 pubmed..Its cell surface location and expression profile suggest that it may have an important pathological role in the cartilage turnover prevalent in arthritic diseases. ..
- Garnett M, Nohl F, Barclay S. Management of patients with reduced oral aperture and mandibular hypomobility (trismus) and implications for operative dentistry. Br Dent J. 2008;204:125-31 pubmed publisher..The purpose of this opinion-based paper is to identify and review the causes of such conditions, to review the development of problems encountered for patients and clinicians, and to identify options to treat or manage the conditions...
- Veuger S, Hunter J, Durkacz B. Ionizing radiation-induced NF-kappaB activation requires PARP-1 function to confer radioresistance. Oncogene. 2009;28:832-42 pubmed publisher..These data indicate that potentiation of IR-induced cytotoxicity by AG14361 is mediated solely by inhibition of NF-kappaB activation. ..
- Irving J, Jesson J, Virgo P, Case M, Minto L, Eyre L, et al. Establishment and validation of a standard protocol for the detection of minimal residual disease in B lineage childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia by flow cytometry in a multi-center setting. Haematologica. 2009;94:870-4 pubmed publisher..01%) was 86% (n=134). Thus, this standardized protocol is highly reproducible between laboratories, sensitive, applicable, and shows good concordance with molecular-based analysis...
- Passos J, Simillion C, Hallinan J, Wipat A, von Zglinicki T. Cellular senescence: unravelling complexity. Age (Dordr). 2009;31:353-63 pubmed publisher..Finally, we illustrate the use of systems biology to address the mechanistic, functional and biochemical complexity of senescence. ..
- Maguire A, Hind V, Waterhouse P, Tabari D, Steen I, Lloyd J. Developing a primary dental care outreach (PDCO) course--part 2: perceptions of dental students. Eur J Dent Educ. 2009;13:210-7 pubmed publisher..Further evaluation, including analysis of value for money, would help to inform funding decisions and further curriculum development. ..
- Curtin N. Inhibiting the DNA damage response as a therapeutic manoeuvre in cancer. Br J Pharmacol. 2013;169:1745-65 pubmed publisher..This article is part of a themed section on Emerging Therapeutic Aspects in Oncology. To view the other articles in this section visit http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/bph.2013.169.issue-8. ..
- Weber K, Wilson J, Taylor L, Brierley E, Johnson M, Turnbull D, et al. A new mtDNA mutation showing accumulation with time and restriction to skeletal muscle. Am J Hum Genet. 1997;60:373-80 pubmed..Furthermore, clinical deterioration seemed to follow the increase in the level of mutation, although, interestingly, the appearance of fibers deficient in respiratory-chain activity showed a lag period. ..
- Lilic D, Gravenor I, Robson N, Lammas D, Drysdale P, Calvert J, et al. Deregulated production of protective cytokines in response to Candida albicans infection in patients with chronic mucocutaneous candidiasis. Infect Immun. 2003;71:5690-9 pubmed
- Muneer Amanullah M, Rostron A, Leslie Hamilton J, Chaudhari M, Hasan A. Towards an anatomically correct repair for anomalous left coronary artery arising from the pulmonary trunk. Cardiol Young. 2008;18:372-8 pubmed publisher..This can be achieved by creating flaps based on the walls of the pulmonary trunk and aorta, producing a dual coronary arterial supply with no mortality and low morbidity. ..
- Collins C, Zimmerman C, Howard L. Refugee, asylum seeker, immigrant women and postnatal depression: rates and risk factors. Arch Womens Ment Health. 2011;14:3-11 pubmed publisher..Maternity care providers should regard all recent immigrants as at high risk of PND and give closer observation and support as necessary. ..
- Burgoine T, Alvanides S, Lake A. Assessing the obesogenic environment of North East England. Health Place. 2011;17:738-47 pubmed publisher..The study concludes by strongly recommending a multi-faceted approach be taken when trying to tackle current levels of obesity. ..
- Carr A, Ng W, Figueiredo F, Macleod R, Greenwood M, Staines K. Sjögren's syndrome - an update for dental practitioners. Br Dent J. 2012;213:353-7 pubmed publisher..In this article, we summarise the clinical manifestations, diagnosis and management of SS relevant to dental practitioners. ..
- Serruys P, Katagiri Y, Sotomi Y, Zeng Y, Chevalier B, van der Schaaf R, et al. Arterial Remodeling After Bioresorbable Scaffolds and Metallic Stents. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2017;70:60-74 pubmed publisher..ABSORB II Randomized Controlled Trial; NCT01425281). ..
- Kennedy D, Pace S, Haskell C, Okello E, Milne A, Scholey A. Effects of cholinesterase inhibiting sage (Salvia officinalis) on mood, anxiety and performance on a psychological stressor battery. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2006;31:845-52 pubmed..The results confirm previous observations of the cholinesterase inhibiting properties of S. officinalis, and improved mood and cognitive performance following the administration of single doses to healthy young participants...
- Lancsar E, Louviere J. Conducting discrete choice experiments to inform healthcare decision making: a user's guide. Pharmacoeconomics. 2008;26:661-77 pubmed..Thus, they offer viable alternatives and complements to existing methods of valuation and preference elicitation. ..
- Kendrick S, O Boyle G, Mann J, Zeybel M, Palmer J, Jones D, et al. Acetate, the key modulator of inflammatory responses in acute alcoholic hepatitis. Hepatology. 2010;51:1988-97 pubmed publisher..This mechanism is a potential therapeutic target in acute alcoholic hepatitis. ..
- Slatter M, Gennery A. Primary immunodeficiency syndromes. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2010;685:146-65 pubmed..We describe the mechanisms involved in the development of adaptive immunity relating to DNA repair and describe the clinical consequences and treatment developments of primary immunodeficiency resulting from such defects. ..
- Stone M, Thomas K, Wilkinson M, St Clair Gibson A, Thompson K. Consistency of perceptual and metabolic responses to a laboratory-based simulated 4,000-m cycling time trial. Eur J Appl Physiol. 2011;111:1807-13 pubmed publisher..A laboratory simulated 4-km cycling trial is a reliable test that may be used to monitor performance and pacing strategy. ..
- Zambonin J, Zhao C, Ohno N, Campbell G, Engeham S, Ziabreva I, et al. Increased mitochondrial content in remyelinated axons: implications for multiple sclerosis. Brain. 2011;134:1901-13 pubmed publisher..Our neuropathological data and findings in experimental demyelination and remyelination in vivo and in vitro are consistent with a partial amelioration of the supposed increase in energy demand of demyelinated axons by remyelination. ..
- Steele J, Treasure E, O Sullivan I, Morris J, Murray J. Adult Dental Health Survey 2009: transformations in British oral health 1968-2009. Br Dent J. 2012;213:523-7 pubmed publisher..We might expect that over 90% of those aged 35-44 in 2009 have a realistic prospect of retaining a functional natural dentition of 21 or more teeth by age 80. ..
- Gan E, Macarthur K, Mitchell A, Joshi A, Crock P, Pearce S. Spontaneous and tetracosactide-induced anti-ACTH antibodies in man. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf). 2016;84:489-95 pubmed publisher..The presence of these antibodies could mediate some of the adverse effects or explain the well-described phenomenon of resistance to chronic ACTH therapy. ..
- Turner M, Saint Criq V, Patel W, Ibrahim S, Verdon B, Ward C, et al. Hypercapnia modulates cAMP signalling and cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator-dependent anion and fluid secretion in airway epithelia. J Physiol. 2016;594:1643-61 pubmed publisher..Based on current models of airways biology, a reduction in fluid secretion, associated with hypercapnia, would be predicted to have important consequences for airways hydration and the innate defence mechanisms of the lungs...
- Greenway S, Crossland D, Hudson M, Martin S, Myers R, Prieur T, et al. Fontan-associated liver disease: Implications for heart transplantation. J Heart Lung Transplant. 2016;35:26-33 pubmed publisher..Thus, in this review we attempt to define the scope and significance of FALD and address transplant-related assessment and management of this challenging disorder. ..
- Vallortigara J, Whitfield D, Quelch W, Alghamdi A, Howlett D, HortobÃ¡gyi T, et al. Decreased Levels of VAMP2 and Monomeric Alpha-Synuclein Correlate with Duration of Dementia. J Alzheimers Dis. 2016;50:101-10 pubmed publisher..0002). Our findings may indicate that an upregulation of SNARE complex related proteins occurs in the early stages of disease as an attempt at compensating for failing synapses, prior to widespread deposition of pathological Î±-syn. ..
- Ridgeon E, Bellomo R, Myburgh J, Saxena M, Weatherall M, Jahan R, et al. Validation of a classification system for causes of death in critical care: an assessment of inter-rater reliability. Crit Care Resusc. 2016;18:50-4 pubmed..ICU specialists showed higher kappa and median agreement than research coordinators. The ICU-DECLARE system allowed ICU doctors to classify the proximate cause of death of patients who died in the ICU with substantial reliability. ..
- Karkos P, Waldron M, Johnson I. The MELAS syndrome. Review of the literature: the role of the otologist. Clin Otolaryngol Allied Sci. 2004;29:1-4 pubmed..A high index of suspicion is required because this hearing loss is part of a syndrome for which early diagnosis and intervention is required...
- Venables J, Strain L, Routledge D, Bourn D, Powell H, Warwicker P, et al. Atypical haemolytic uraemic syndrome associated with a hybrid complement gene. PLoS Med. 2006;3:e431 pubmed..In this study we tested the hypothesis that nonallelic homologous recombination between low-copy repeats in the RCA cluster could result in the formation of a hybrid CFH/CFHL1 gene that predisposes to the development of aHUS...
- Collerton J, Barrass K, Bond J, Eccles M, Jagger C, James O, et al. The Newcastle 85+ study: biological, clinical and psychosocial factors associated with healthy ageing: study protocol. BMC Geriatr. 2007;7:14 pubmed
- Robinson L, Bamford C, Briel R, Spencer J, Whitty P. Improving patient-centered care for people with dementia in medical encounters: an educational intervention for old age psychiatrists. Int Psychogeriatr. 2010;22:129-38 pubmed publisher..We developed an educational intervention with both a theoretical and empirical basis. The workshops resulted in many changes to self-reported practice; whether this was noticeable to patients and carers requires further study. ..
- Milner J, Patel A, Davidson R, Swingler T, Desilets A, Young D, et al. Matriptase is a novel initiator of cartilage matrix degradation in osteoarthritis. Arthritis Rheum. 2010;62:1955-66 pubmed publisher..We propose that the indirect effects of matriptase are mediated by PAR-2, and a more detailed understanding of these mechanisms may highlight important new therapeutic targets for OA treatment. ..
- Hui W, Litherland G, Jefferson M, Barter M, Elias M, Cawston T, et al. Lithium protects cartilage from cytokine-mediated degradation by reducing collagen-degrading MMP production via inhibition of the P38 mitogen-activated protein kinase pathway. Rheumatology (Oxford). 2010;49:2043-53 pubmed publisher..These data indicate that lithium administration may represent a potential therapy for arthritis. ..
- Stoll E, Horner P, Rostomily R. The impact of age on oncogenic potential: tumor-initiating cells and the brain microenvironment. Aging Cell. 2013;12:733-41 pubmed publisher..Here, we provide an overview of recent progress in our understanding of how mechanisms underlying cellular aging inform on glioma pathogenesis and malignancy. ..
- Prentis J, Trenell M, Vasdev N, French R, Dines G, Thorpe A, et al. Impaired cardiopulmonary reserve in an elderly population is related to postoperative morbidity and length of hospital stay after radical cystectomy. BJU Int. 2013;112:E13-9 pubmed publisher..This has important health and economic implications for risk assessment, rationalisation of postoperative resource and the potential for therapeutic preoperative intervention with exercise therapy. ..
- McDevitt J, Cancela M, Kelly M, Comber H, Sharp L. Tracheostomy and infection prolong length of stay in hospital after surgery for head and neck cancer: a population based study. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol. 2016;121:22-28.e1 pubmed publisher..Advanced stage, gastrostomy, and reconstruction were also associated with prolonged LOS. Tracheostomy and postoperative infection were associated with prolonged LOS. Further investigation of these modifiable risk factors is warranted. ..
- Bahadur N, Leathart J, Mutch E, Steimel Crespi D, Dunn S, Gilissen R, et al. CYP2C8 polymorphisms in Caucasians and their relationship with paclitaxel 6alpha-hydroxylase activity in human liver microsomes. Biochem Pharmacol. 2002;64:1579-89 pubmed..Median activity associated with CYP2C8*4 also appeared lower than the wild-type but the difference was not significant. There was no evidence that either upstream polymorphism gave rise to altered CYP2C8 expression. ..
- Caplan N, Gardner T. A fluid dynamic investigation of the Big Blade and Macon oar blade designs in rowing propulsion. J Sports Sci. 2007;25:643-50 pubmed..This result suggests that the Big Blade design may not be completely optimized over the whole stroke. ..
- Sethna F, Tennant P, Rankin J, C Robson S. Prevalence, natural history, and clinical outcome of mild to moderate ventriculomegaly. Obstet Gynecol. 2011;117:867-76 pubmed publisher..8-7.6). This register-based study on mild to moderate ventriculomegaly provides unique epidemiologic and outcome data. Information from this study should aid in counseling parents. III. ..
- Pfeffer G, Majamaa K, Turnbull D, Thorburn D, Chinnery P. Treatment for mitochondrial disorders. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2012;:CD004426 pubmed publisher..We suggest further research should identify novel agents to be tested in homogeneous study populations with clinically relevant primary endpoints. ..
- Goyama S, Schibler J, Gasilina A, Shrestha M, Lin S, Link K, et al. UBASH3B/Sts-1-CBL axis regulates myeloid proliferation in human preleukemia induced by AML1-ETO. Leukemia. 2016;30:728-39 pubmed publisher..Our study reveals a role of CBL in restricting myeloid proliferation of human AML1-ETO-induced leukemia, and identifies UBASH3B/Sts-1 as a potential target for pharmaceutical intervention. ..
- Cantor R, Cordell H. Gene expression in large pedigrees: analytic approaches. BMC Genet. 2016;17 Suppl 2:3 pubmed publisher..Pedigrees can be used to conduct analyses of and enhance gene expression studies. ..
- Glinianaia S, Ghosh R, Rankin J, Pearce M, Parker L, Pless Mulloli T. No improvement in socioeconomic inequalities in birthweight and preterm birth over four decades: a population-based cohort study. BMC Public Health. 2013;13:345 pubmed publisher..Mean birthweight adjusted for gestational age increased in all socioeconomic groups, suggesting an overall increase in fetal growth. ..
- Christie G, Ford D, Howard A, Clark M, Hirst B. Glycine supply to human enterocytes mediated by high-affinity basolateral GLYT1. Gastroenterology. 2001;120:439-48 pubmed..Enterocytes express GLYT1 along the length of the crypt-villus axis, where it mediates high-affinity basolateral glycine uptake. ..
- Gill I, Eagle M, Mehta J, Gibson M, Bushby K, Bullock R. Correction of neuromuscular scoliosis in patients with preexisting respiratory failure. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2006;31:2478-83 pubmed..Patients with preexisting respiratory failure on nocturnal noninvasive ventilation can be safely operated for deformity correction. This can help to significantly improve their quality of life. ..
- Jones D. Pathogenesis of primary biliary cirrhosis. Clin Liver Dis. 2008;12:305-21; viii pubmed publisher..Alternative (but not necessary mutually exclusive) pathogenetic models have been outlined, including a potential role for retroviral pathogens and directly cytopathic effects...
- Howarth D, Inman D, Lingard E, McCaskie A, Gerrand C. Barriers to weight loss in obese patients with knee osteoarthritis. Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 2010;92:338-40 pubmed publisher..Obesity contributes to the development of knee osteoarthritis and complicates its surgical treatment. The aim of this study was to explore barriers to effective weight management in obese patients with knee osteoarthritis...
- Baker R, Bateman I, Donaldson C, Jones Lee M, Lancsar E, Loomes G, et al. Weighting and valuing quality-adjusted life-years using stated preference methods: preliminary results from the Social Value of a QALY Project. Health Technol Assess. 2010;14:1-162 pubmed publisher..Methods of aggregation and measures of central tendency were issues in both weighting and valuation procedures and require further exploration. ..
- Karolczak Bayatti M, Abu Amara T, Europe Finner G. Expression of the GTP-binding protein G?s in human myometrial cells is regulated by ubiquitination and protein degradation: involvement of proteasomal inhibition by trichostatin A. Reprod Sci. 2012;19:1323-31 pubmed publisher..Importantly the increase in G?s protein levels occurred via ubiquitination and inhibition of proteasomal activity, indicating that this pathway is also involved in regulating G?s protein expression during pregnancy and parturition. ..
- Collin M, McGovern N, Haniffa M. Human dendritic cell subsets. Immunology. 2013;140:22-30 pubmed publisher..Comparative studies are now allowing many of these properties to be more fully understood in the context of human immunology. ..
- Hayes N, Wayman J, Wadehra V, Scott D, Raimes S, Griffin S. Peritoneal cytology in the surgical evaluation of gastric carcinoma. Br J Cancer. 1999;79:520-4 pubmed..Evaluation of peritoneal cytology by these methods may have a role in the selection of patients with the poorest prognosis who may benefit most from adjuvant therapy. ..
- Rankin J, Bush J, Bell R, Cresswell P, Renwick M. Impacts of participating in confidential enquiry panels: a qualitative study. BJOG. 2006;113:387-92 pubmed..Wide multidisciplinary participation in enquiry panels coordinated through regional clinical networks should be promoted. ..
- Wilson C, Brook N, Talbot D. Preservation solutions for solid organ transplantation. Mini Rev Med Chem. 2006;6:1081-90 pubmed..This review examines the biochemical basis of organ degradation in response to ischaemia, preservation solution composition and potential future organ preservation technology. ..
- Jones A, Parkinson K, Drewett R, Hyland R, Pearce M, Adamson A. Parental perceptions of weight status in children: the Gateshead Millennium Study. Int J Obes (Lond). 2011;35:953-62 pubmed publisher..Such approaches underpinned their reasoning for remaining detached from the issue. This study highlights the need to identify methods of improving parental recognition of and engagement with the problem of childhood overweight. ..
- Relton C, Davey Smith G. Two-step epigenetic Mendelian randomization: a strategy for establishing the causal role of epigenetic processes in pathways to disease. Int J Epidemiol. 2012;41:161-76 pubmed publisher..The rationale, origins, methodology, advantages and limitations of this novel strategy are presented. ..
- Baker M, Baker S. Beta-adrenergic modulation of tremor and corticomuscular coherence in humans. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e49088 pubmed publisher..Instead, we suggest that propranolol and salbutamol may affect both tremor and corticomuscular coherence partly via a central site of action...
- Rodham P, Batty J, McElnay P, Immanuel A. Does minimally invasive oesophagectomy provide a benefit in hospital length of stay when compared with open oesophagectomy?. Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg. 2016;22:360-7 pubmed publisher..The benefit in reduced length of stay was not at the cost of worsened survival or increased complications, and conversion rates in all studies were low. ..
- Gupta A, Colmenero I, Ragge N, Blakely E, He L, McFarland R, et al. Compound heterozygous RMND1 gene variants associated with chronic kidney disease, dilated cardiomyopathy and neurological involvement: a case report. BMC Res Notes. 2016;9:325 pubmed publisher..To our knowledge dilated cardiomyopathy has not been reported with renal failure in mitochondrial disease due to mutations of RMND1. The presence of this complication was important in this case as it precluded renal transplantation. ..
- Embleton N, Zalewski S. How to feed a baby recovering from necrotising enterocolitis when maternal milk is not available. Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed. 2017;102:F543-F546 pubmed publisher..We review common clinical concerns relating to feeding following NEC and the rationale for modifications of the macronutrient composition and quality of formula milk. ..
- Wassell R, Walls A, McCabe J. Direct composite inlays versus conventional composite restorations: 5-year follow-up. J Dent. 2000;28:375-82 pubmed..In this study the direct inlay technique gave no clinical advantage over conventional, incremental placement. ..
- Mc Donough S, Clowry G, Miller S, Eyre J. Reciprocal and Renshaw (recurrent) inhibition are functional in man at birth. Brain Res. 2001;899:66-81 pubmed..In four neonates reciprocal inhibitory responses in Bi disappeared when the tap to Tri evoked its own homonymous phasic stretch reflex, providing neurophysiological evidence for Renshaw inhibition of Group Ia inhibitory interneurones. ..
- Corson M, Postlethwaite K, Seymour R. Are dental infections a cause of brain abscess? Case report and review of the literature. Oral Dis. 2001;7:61-5 pubmed..The causal organism should be identified in both oral and cranial sites...
- Lu X, Vogt P, Boger D, Lunec J. Disruption of the MYC transcriptional function by a small-molecule antagonist of MYC/MAX dimerization. Oncol Rep. 2008;19:825-30 pubmed
- Brown S, Relton C, Liao H, Zhao Y, Sandilands A, Wilson I, et al. Filaggrin null mutations and childhood atopic eczema: a population-based case-control study. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2008;121:940-46.e3 pubmed publisher..15) and no association with seasonal rhinitis (P = .66). FLG null mutations are significantly associated with mild-to-moderate atopic eczema in childhood, with a recessive pattern of inheritance. ..
- Rorbach J, Richter R, Wessels H, Wydro M, Pekalski M, Farhoud M, et al. The human mitochondrial ribosome recycling factor is essential for cell viability. Nucleic Acids Res. 2008;36:5787-99 pubmed publisher..Finally, mtRRF was shown to co-immunoprecipitate a large number of mitoribosomal proteins attached to other mitochondrial proteins, including putative members of the mitochondrial nucleoid. ..
- Moffatt S, Mackintosh J. Older people's experience of proactive welfare rights advice: qualitative study of a South Asian community. Ethn Health. 2009;14:5-25 pubmed publisher..To do otherwise will exacerbate existing income and health inequalities. ..
- Home P, Kahn S, Jones N, Noronha D, Beck Nielsen H, Viberti G. Experience of malignancies with oral glucose-lowering drugs in the randomised controlled ADOPT (A Diabetes Outcome Progression Trial) and RECORD (Rosiglitazone Evaluated for Cardiovascular Outcomes and Regulation of Glycaemia in Diabetes) clinical tr. Diabetologia. 2010;53:1838-45 pubmed publisher..However, they do not refute the possibility of a difference compared with sulfonylureas. ..
- Riley S, Kumar N. Teaching medical professionalism. Clin Med (Lond). 2012;12:9-11 pubmed..The findings highlight major differences between how the material is taught and how students and graduates feel they learn best about professionalism and more research into this field is needed. ..
- Pearce M, Salotti J, Little M, McHugh K, Lee C, Kim K, et al. Radiation exposure from CT scans in childhood and subsequent risk of leukaemia and brain tumours: a retrospective cohort study. Lancet. 2012;380:499-505 pubmed publisher..US National Cancer Institute and UK Department of Health. ..
- Walls A, Meurman J. Approaches to caries prevention and therapy in the elderly. Adv Dent Res. 2012;24:36-40 pubmed publisher..This paper explores the evidence that is available supporting preventive strategies, including fluorides in various forms, chlorhexidine, and calcium phosphate supplementation. ..
- Syddall C, Reynard L, Young D, Loughlin J. The identification of trans-acting factors that regulate the expression of GDF5 via the osteoarthritis susceptibility SNP rs143383. PLoS Genet. 2013;9:e1003557 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, we have identified four trans-acting factors that are binding to GDF5, three of which are modulating GDF5 expression via the OA susceptibility locus rs143383. ..
- Shiue I, Perkins D, Bearman N. Hospital admissions due to diseases of arteries and veins peaked at physiological equivalent temperature -10 to 10 Â°C in Germany in 2009-2011. Environ Sci Pollut Res Int. 2016;23:6159-67 pubmed publisher..More medical resources could have been needed on days when PETs were at -10 to 10 Â°C than on other days. Adaptation to such weather change for health professionals and the general public would seem to be imperative. ..
- Ercibengoa M, Bell M, MarimÃ³n J, Humrighouse B, Klenk H, PÃ¶tter G, et al. Nocardia donostiensis sp. nov., isolated from human respiratory specimens. Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek. 2016;109:653-60 pubmed publisher..nov. with X1654(T) (=DSM 46814(T)Â =Â CECT 8839(T)) as the type strain. ..
- Sutton E, Hackshaw McGeagh L, Aning J, Bahl A, Koupparis A, Persad R, et al. The provision of dietary and physical activity advice for men diagnosed with prostate cancer: a qualitative study of the experiences and views of health care professionals, patients and partners. Cancer Causes Control. 2017;28:319-329 pubmed publisher..HCPs should receive suitable training regarding what information to provide to men and how best to deliver this information. ..
- Daniels M, Newland P, Dewar J, White M, Kendall Taylor P. Gonadotrophin secretion in vitro by cells of a pituitary tumour from a patient with multiple endocrine neoplasia type I. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf). 1992;36:475-80 pubmed..The aim was to investigate the hormone secretory products of a pituitary tumour from a patient with multiple endocrine neoplasia type I (MEN I) utilizing cell culture and immunoassay techniques...
- Gold A, Marshall S. Cortical blindness and cerebral infarction associated with severe hypoglycemia. Diabetes Care. 1996;19:1001-3 pubmed..To describe a case of cortical blindness and cerebral infarction associated with severe hypoglycemia...
- Veuger S, Curtin N, Richardson C, Smith G, Durkacz B. Radiosensitization and DNA repair inhibition by the combined use of novel inhibitors of DNA-dependent protein kinase and poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase-1. Cancer Res. 2003;63:6008-15 pubmed..Thus, individually, or in combination, the DNA-PK and PARP-1 inhibitors act as potent radiosensitizers and show potential as tools for anticancer therapeutic intervention. ..
- Heer R, Douglas D, Mathers M, Robson C, Leung H. Fibroblast growth factor 17 is over-expressed in human prostate cancer. J Pathol. 2004;204:578-86 pubmed..These data support a role for FGF17, and a model of co-expression of multiple FGFs, with FGF17 as a potential mediator of FGF8 function, in human prostate carcinogenesis. ..
- Groen E, Charlton R, Barresi R, Anderson L, Eagle M, Hudson J, et al. Analysis of the UK diagnostic strategy for limb girdle muscular dystrophy 2A. Brain. 2007;130:3237-49 pubmed..Our analysis confirms that our strategy is still valid to prioritize genetic testing in this complex group of patients, provided patients with normal protein but a suggestive clinical phenotype are not excluded from genetic testing...
- O Brien J. Role of imaging techniques in the diagnosis of dementia. Br J Radiol. 2007;80 Spec No 2:S71-7 pubmed publisher..Newer techniques show great promise to detect specific neuroreceptor changes as well as pathological underpinnings of dementia, such as amyloid and tau pathology. ..
- Cockburn E, Stevenson E, Hayes P, Robson Ansley P, Howatson G. Effect of milk-based carbohydrate-protein supplement timing on the attenuation of exercise-induced muscle damage. Appl Physiol Nutr Metab. 2010;35:270-7 pubmed publisher..Consuming milk-based CHO-P after muscle-damaging exercise is more beneficial in attenuating decreases in muscle performance and increases in active DOMS at 48 h than ingestion prior to exercise. ..
- Heather N. Breaking new ground in the study and practice of alcohol brief interventions. Drug Alcohol Rev. 2010;29:584-8 pubmed publisher..Heather N. Breaking new ground in the study and practice of alcohol brief interventions. ..