Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on humans in London, England, United Kingdom
Locale: London, England, United Kingdom
Publications859 found, 100 shown here
- Kariyawasam H, Pegorier S, Barkans J, Xanthou G, Aizen M, Ying S, et al. Activin and transforming growth factor-beta signaling pathways are activated after allergen challenge in mild asthma. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2009;124:454-62 pubmed publisher..Both TGF-beta and activin signaling pathways are activated on allergen provocation in asthma. Activin-A may contribute to resolution of inflammation. ..
- Lu X, Chen D, Endresz V, Xia M, Faludi I, Burian K, et al. Immunization with a combination of ApoB and HSP60 epitopes significantly reduces early atherosclerotic lesion in Apobtm2SgyLdlrtm1Her/J mice. Atherosclerosis. 2010;212:472-80 pubmed publisher..This approach offers promise as a novel strategy for developing anti-atherosclerotic agents. ..
- Cox Singh J, Singh B, Daneshvar C, Planche T, Parker Williams J, Krishna S. Anti-inflammatory cytokines predominate in acute human Plasmodium knowlesi infections. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e20541 pubmed publisher..knowlesi as well as P. falciparum malaria. Crucially, P. knowlesi may be the disease and experimental primate model for severe malaria. ..
- Galli G, Wolpe N, Otten L. Sex differences in the use of anticipatory brain activity to encode emotional events. J Neurosci. 2011;31:12364-70 pubmed publisher..The selective use of such activity may indicate that anticipatory activity is one mechanism by which individuals regulate their emotions. ..
- Jackson A, Watson V, Back D, Khoo S, Liptrott N, Egan D, et al. Plasma and intracellular pharmacokinetics of darunavir/ritonavir once daily and raltegravir once and twice daily in HIV-infected individuals. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2011;58:450-7 pubmed publisher..Raltegravir IC concentrations are higher than previously reported; the difference being due to modified cell isolation procedures that reduced drug loss caused by washing. ..
- You J, Singer D, Howard P, Lane D, Eckman M, Fang M, et al. Antithrombotic therapy for atrial fibrillation: Antithrombotic Therapy and Prevention of Thrombosis, 9th ed: American College of Chest Physicians Evidence-Based Clinical Practice Guidelines. Chest. 2012;141:e531S-e575S pubmed publisher..At lower levels of stroke risk, antithrombotic treatment decisions will require a more individualized approach. ..
- Brown A, Dobbie I, Alakoskela J, Davis I, Davis D. Super-resolution imaging of remodeled synaptic actin reveals different synergies between NK cell receptors and integrins. Blood. 2012;120:3729-40 pubmed publisher..This distinction would not be required for NK cell receptors, such as NKG2D, which recognize host cell-encoded proteins that can only be found on diseased cells and not pathogens. ..
- Geoffroy M, Power C, Touchette E, Dubois L, Boivin M, Séguin J, et al. Childcare and overweight or obesity over 10 years of follow-up. J Pediatr. 2013;162:753-758.e1 pubmed publisher..Obesogeonic" features of these childcare arrangements should be investigated in future studies. ..
- Garnett J, Gray M, Tarran R, Brodlie M, Ward C, Baker E, et al. Elevated paracellular glucose flux across cystic fibrosis airway epithelial monolayers is an important factor for Pseudomonas aeruginosa growth. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e76283 pubmed publisher..Together these studies highlight the importance of glucose as an additional factor in promoting Ps. aeruginosa growth and respiratory infection in CF disease. ..
- Batla A, PareÃ©s I, Edwards M, Stamelou M, Bhatia K, Panicker J. Lower urinary tract dysfunction in patients with functional movement disorders. J Neurol Sci. 2016;361:192-4 pubmed publisher..It may be advisable to ask for LUT symptoms in all patients with FMD and be more proactive in referring them for specialist investigation and treatment. ..
- Hall M, Dondo T, Yan A, Goodman S, Bueno H, Chew D, et al. Association of Clinical Factors and Therapeutic Strategies With Improvements in Survival Following Non-ST-Elevation Myocardial Infarction, 2003-2013. JAMA. 2016;316:1073-82 pubmed publisher..This was significantly associated with use of an invasive coronary strategy and not entirely related to a decline in baseline clinical risk or increased use of pharmacological therapies. ..
- Teschendorff A, Breeze C, Zheng S, Beck S. A comparison of reference-based algorithms for correcting cell-type heterogeneity in Epigenome-Wide Association Studies. BMC Bioinformatics. 2017;18:105 pubmed publisher..Finally, we demonstrate the added value of EpiDISH in an EWAS of smoking. Estimating cell-type fractions and subsequent inference in EWAS may benefit from the use of non-constrained reference-based cell-type deconvolution methods. ..
- Weiser M, Levi L, Burshtein S, Hagin M, Matei V, Podea D, et al. Raloxifene Plus Antipsychotics Versus Placebo Plus Antipsychotics in Severely Ill Decompensated Postmenopausal Women With Schizophrenia or Schizoaffective Disorder: A Randomized Controlled Trial. J Clin Psychiatry. 2017;78:e758-e765 pubmed publisher..These data do not support the use of raloxifene in severely decompensated schizophrenia patients until reliable research identifies what subgroup of patients or domain of outcome is benefited. ClinicalTrials.gov identifier: NCT01280305. ..
- Way M, Ali M, McQuillin A, Morgan M. Genetic variants in ALDH1B1 and alcohol dependence risk in a British and Irish population: A bioinformatic and genetic study. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0177009 pubmed publisher..37]) but as this SNP is very rare the study was likely underpowered to detect an association with alcohol dependence risk. This potential association will needs to be further evaluated in other large, independent European populations. ..
- Rahman M, Karan A, Rahman M, Parsons A, Abe S, Bilano V, et al. Progress Toward Universal Health Coverage: A Comparative Analysis in 5 South Asian Countries. JAMA Intern Med. 2017;177:1297-1305 pubmed publisher..Achieving universal health coverage is one of the key targets in the newly adopted Sustainable Development Goals of the United Nations...
- Murdock J, Allen C, BORNER K, Light R, McAlister S, Ravenscroft A, et al. Multi-level computational methods for interdisciplinary research in the HathiTrust Digital Library. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0184188 pubmed publisher..The multilevel approach advances understanding of the intellectual and societal contexts in which writings are interpreted. ..
- Chrystie I, Almeida J, Welch J. Electron microscopic detection of human parvovirus (B19) in a patient with HIV infection. J Med Virol. 1990;30:249-52 pubmed..The presence of parvovirus complicated the judgement as to drug treatment. This case also highlighted the importance of diagnosing the presence of opportunistic viral infections that have no, or low-grade, pathogenic activity. ..
- Alexander D, Goris J, Marais R, Rothbard J, Merlevede W, Crumpton M. Dephosphorylation of the human T lymphocyte CD3 antigen. Eur J Biochem. 1989;181:55-65 pubmed..The data point to an important role for polycation-stimulated phosphatases in regulating the phosphorylation state, and so function(s), of the CD3 antigen. ..
- Hill C, Wynne J, Treisman R. The Rho family GTPases RhoA, Rac1, and CDC42Hs regulate transcriptional activation by SRF. Cell. 1995;81:1159-70 pubmed..Functional Rho is required for regulated activity of the c-fos promoter. These results establish SRF as a nuclear target of a novel Rho-mediated signaling pathway. ..
- Ruhrberg C, Hajibagheri M, Simon M, Dooley T, Watt F. Envoplakin, a novel precursor of the cornified envelope that has homology to desmoplakin. J Cell Biol. 1996;134:715-29 pubmed..These data suggest that the 210-kD protein may link the cornified envelope to desmosomes and keratin filaments. We propose that the 210-kD protein be named "envoplakin." ..
- Fujino T, Navaratnam N, Scott J. Human apolipoprotein B RNA editing deaminase gene (APOBEC1). Genomics. 1998;47:266-75 pubmed..Rather, consideration of results from the marsupial APOBEC-1 gene suggests that this upstream mouse promoter may have had a later evolutionary origin. ..
- Sayal K, Ford T, Pipe R. Case study: bipolar disorder after head injury. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2000;39:525-8 pubmed..Assessment and management involves ongoing consideration of both organic and psychosocial factors even after initial negative investigations. ..
- Orchard T, Chua C, Ahmad T, Cheng H, Welsh K, Jewell D. Uveitis and erythema nodosum in inflammatory bowel disease: clinical features and the role of HLA genes. Gastroenterology. 2002;123:714-8 pubmed..They are associated with genes in the HLA region, and linkage disequilibrium between these genes may account for the clinical picture of overlapping but independent clinical manifestations. ..
- Barnes P. Receptor heterodimerization: a new level of cross-talk. J Clin Invest. 2006;116:1210-2 pubmed
- Gillespie I, Elson R. Successful reduction of human Salmonella Enteritidis infection in England and Wales. Euro Surveill. 2005;10:E051117.2 pubmed
- Abisi S, Burnand K, Waltham M, Humphries J, Taylor P, Smith A. Cysteine protease activity in the wall of abdominal aortic aneurysms. J Vasc Surg. 2007;46:1260-6 pubmed..Increased cathepsin activity may influence the activity of MMP-9, which is thought to have an important role in aneurysm development. ..
- Boobis A, Cohen S, Doerrer N, Galloway S, Haley P, Hard G, et al. A data-based assessment of alternative strategies for identification of potential human cancer hazards. Toxicol Pathol. 2009;37:714-32 pubmed publisher..Additional endpoints are needed to identify some signals not detected with routine evaluation. This effort defined critical questions that should be explored to improve the predictivity of human carcinogenic risk. ..
- Richardson P, Miao T, Wu D, Zhang Y, Yeh J, Bo X. Responses of the nerve cell body to axotomy. Neurosurgery. 2009;65:A74-9 pubmed publisher..A few pharmacological agents, administered systemically, have small beneficial effects on axonal regeneration. Advances in laboratory research have provided knowledge of cell body responses to axotomy with clinical relevance. ..
- Borgwardt S, Picchioni M, Ettinger U, Toulopoulou T, Murray R, McGuire P. Regional gray matter volume in monozygotic twins concordant and discordant for schizophrenia. Biol Psychiatry. 2010;67:956-64 pubmed publisher..These changes could be related to the pathophysiology of the disorder itself or to unique environmental factors acting etiologically or because of the illness. ..
- Karvellas C, McPhail M, Pink F, Asthana S, Muiesan P, Heaton N, et al. Bloodstream infection after elective liver transplantation is associated with increased mortality in patients with cirrhosis. J Crit Care. 2011;26:468-474 pubmed publisher..7) was independently associated with mortality. Bloodstream infection post-LT was associated with increased severity of illness on admission, greater requirements for organ support, and increased mortality. ..
- Froeling F, Feig C, Chelala C, Dobson R, Mein C, Tuveson D, et al. Retinoic acid-induced pancreatic stellate cell quiescence reduces paracrine Wnt-?-catenin signaling to slow tumor progression. Gastroenterology. 2011;141:1486-97, 1497.e1-14 pubmed publisher..RA induces quiescence and reduces motility of PSCs, leading to reduced proliferation and increased apoptosis of surrounding pancreatic cancer cells. RA isoforms might be developed as therapeutic reagents for pancreatic cancer. ..
- Bowen L, Ebrahim S, De Stavola B, Ness A, Kinra S, Bharathi A, et al. Dietary intake and rural-urban migration in India: a cross-sectional study. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e14822 pubmed publisher..These changes may be of relevance to cardiovascular health and warrant public health interventions. ..
- Morgan G, Gregory W, Davies F, Bell S, Szubert A, Brown J, et al. The role of maintenance thalidomide therapy in multiple myeloma: MRC Myeloma IX results and meta-analysis. Blood. 2012;119:7-15 pubmed publisher..Overview analysis demonstrated that thalidomide maintenance was associated with a significant late OS benefit. This trial was registered at www.isrctn.org as #ISRCTN68454111. ..
- Alvergne A, Lawson D, Clarke P, Gurmu E, Mace R. Fertility, parental investment, and the early adoption of modern contraception in rural Ethiopia. Am J Hum Biol. 2013;25:107-15 pubmed publisher..The study has implications for our understanding of the emergence of local fertility norms and the spread of modern birth control. ..
- Lees S, Zalwango F, Andrew B, Vandepitte J, Seeley J, Hayes R, et al. Understanding motives for intravaginal practices amongst Tanzanian and Ugandan women at high risk of HIV infection: the embodiment of social and cultural norms and well-being. Soc Sci Med. 2014;102:165-73 pubmed publisher..Among women involved in transactional sex in East Africa, interventions aimed at modifying or eliminating IVP should attend to local cultural and social norms as well as the individual as an agent of change. ..
- Sharma T, Choudhury M, Kaur B, Naidoo B, Garner S, Littlejohns P, et al. Evidence informed decision making: the use of "colloquial evidence" at nice. Int J Technol Assess Health Care. 2015;31:138-46 pubmed publisher..Therefore to ensure its appropriateness the development of a validated CE data quality check-list to assist decision makers is essential and further research in this area is a priority. ..
- Olsburgh J, Zakri R, Horsfield C, Collins R, Fairweather J, O DONNELL P, et al. TCC in Transplant Ureter--When and When Not to Preserve the Transplant Kidney. Am J Transplant. 2016;16:704-11 pubmed publisher..Our cases and a systematic literature review illustrate the surgical, nephrological, and oncological challenges of this uncommon but important condition. ..
- Veiga C, Janssens G, Teng C, Baudier T, Hotoiu L, McClelland J, et al. First Clinical Investigation of Cone Beam Computed Tomography and Deformable Registration for Adaptive Proton Therapy for Lung Cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2016;95:549-59 pubmed publisher..A proton therapy workflow based on CBCT provided clinical indicators similar to those using rCT for patients with lung cancer with considerable anatomic changes. ..
- Lawlor M, Quartilho A, Bunce C, Nathwani N, Dowse E, Kamal D, et al. Patients With Normal Tension Glaucoma Have Relative Sparing of the Relative Afferent Pupillary Defect Compared to Those With Open Angle Glaucoma and Elevated Intraocular Pressure. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2017;58:5237-5241 pubmed publisher
- Stanier P, Henson J, Eddleston J, Moore G, Copp A. Genetic basis of neural tube defects: the mouse gene loop-tail maps to a region of chromosome 1 syntenic with human 1q21-q23. Genomics. 1995;26:473-8 pubmed
- Pearce S, Bai M, Quinn S, Kifor O, Brown E, Thakker R. Functional characterization of calcium-sensing receptor mutations expressed in human embryonic kidney cells. J Clin Invest. 1996;98:1860-6 pubmed..01). These findings provide insights into the functional domains of the CaR and demonstrate that mutations which enhance or reduce the responsiveness of the CaR to [Ca2+]o cause the disorders ADH, FBH, and NSHPT, respectively. ..
- Barton P, Cullen M, Townsend P, Brand N, Mullen A, Norman D, et al. Close physical linkage of human troponin genes: organization, sequence, and expression of the locus encoding cardiac troponin I and slow skeletal troponin T. Genomics. 1999;57:102-9 pubmed..Such close physical linkage has implications for the evolution of the troponin gene families, for their regulation, and for the analysis of mutations implicated in cardiomyopathy. ..
- Rosenthal E. A cosmetic approach for pectoral pacemaker implantation in young girls. Pacing Clin Electrophysiol. 2000;23:1397-400 pubmed..In conclusion, the axillary incision with direct subclavian vein puncture from below the pectoralis major muscle offers the advantages of pectoral pacemaker implantation through a single cosmetic incision. ..
- McCormack E, Llorca O, Carrascosa J, Valpuesta J, Willison K. Point mutations in a hinge linking the small and large domains of beta-actin result in trapped folding intermediates bound to cytosolic chaperonin CCT. J Struct Biol. 2001;135:198-204 pubmed
- Caspi A, Moffitt T, Morgan J, Rutter M, Taylor A, Arseneault L, et al. Maternal expressed emotion predicts children's antisocial behavior problems: using monozygotic-twin differences to identify environmental effects on behavioral development. Dev Psychol. 2004;40:149-61 pubmed..The results suggest that maternal emotional attitudes toward children may play a causal role in the development of antisocial behavior and illustrate how genetically informative research can inform tests of socialization hypotheses. ..
- Werneke U, Horn O, Taylor D. How effective is St John's wort? The evidence revisited. J Clin Psychiatry. 2004;65:611-7 pubmed..St. John's wort may be less effective in the treatment of depression than previously assumed and may finally be shown to be ineffective if future trials confirm this trend. ..
- Hinds R, Philp C, Hyer W, Fell J. Complications of childhood Peutz-Jeghers syndrome: implications for pediatric screening. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2004;39:219-20 pubmed
- Xystrakis E, Kusumakar S, Boswell S, Peek E, Urry Z, Richards D, et al. Reversing the defective induction of IL-10-secreting regulatory T cells in glucocorticoid-resistant asthma patients. J Clin Invest. 2006;116:146-55 pubmed..This strongly suggests that vitamin D3 could potentially increase the therapeutic response to glucocorticoids in SR patients. ..
- Lewis H. International outbreak of Salmonella Goldcoast infection in tourists returning from Majorca, September-October 2005: final summary. Euro Surveill. 2005;10:E051208.3 pubmed
- Holmes R, Koning F, Bishop K, Malim M. APOBEC3F can inhibit the accumulation of HIV-1 reverse transcription products in the absence of hypermutation. Comparisons with APOBEC3G. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:2587-95 pubmed
- Williams D, Botting N, Boucher J. Language in autism and specific language impairment: where are the links?. Psychol Bull. 2008;134:944-63 pubmed publisher..They recommend that researchers concentrate on those aspects of language impairment that predominate in each disorder rather than on those comparatively small areas of potential overlap...
- Lee T, Woszczek G, Farooque S. Leukotriene E4: perspective on the forgotten mediator. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2009;124:417-21 pubmed publisher..This has stimulated a search for additional LT receptors that would respond preferentially to LTE(4) stimulation. ..
- Biasi L, Ali T, Loosemore T, Morgan R, Loftus I, Thompson M. Hybrid repair of complex thoracoabdominal aortic aneurysms using applied endovascular strategies combined with visceral and renal revascularization. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2009;138:1331-8 pubmed publisher..We sought to report our experience with combined retrograde visceral revascularization and endovascular exclusion (hybrid procedure) of thoracoabdominal aortic aneurysms...
- Sauro S, Watson T, Mannocci F, Tay F, Pashley D. Prevention of water contamination of ethanol-saturated dentin and hydrophobic hybrid layers. J Adhes Dent. 2009;11:271-8 pubmed..Pretreatment of acid-etched dentin with 3% oxalic acid prior to bonding procedures can prevent outward fluid flow during bonding and water contamination of the hydrophobic hybrid layers. ..
- Ken Dror G, Talmud P, Humphries S, Drenos F. APOE/C1/C4/C2 gene cluster genotypes, haplotypes and lipid levels in prospective coronary heart disease risk among UK healthy men. Mol Med. 2010;16:389-99 pubmed publisher..While the common APOE polymorphism explains the majority of the locus genetic determinants of plasma lipid levels, additional SNPs in the APOC1/C2 region may contribute to CHD risk, but these effects require confirmation. ..
- Lutti A, Thomas D, Hutton C, Weiskopf N. High-resolution functional MRI at 3 T: 3D/2D echo-planar imaging with optimized physiological noise correction. Magn Reson Med. 2013;69:1657-64 pubmed publisher..5 mm high-resolution fMRI at 3 T, increasing the temporal signal-to-noise ratio by more than 25% compared to two-dimensional EPI. ..
- Reekie J, Kowalska J, Karpov I, Rockstroh J, Karlsson A, Rakhmanova A, et al. Regional differences in AIDS and non-AIDS related mortality in HIV-positive individuals across Europe and Argentina: the EuroSIDA study. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e41673 pubmed publisher..This analysis aimed to establish whether there are regional differences in the mortality rate of HIV-positive individuals across Europe, and Argentina...
- Lamb B, Taylor C, Lamb J, Strickland S, Vincent C, Green J, et al. Facilitators and barriers to teamworking and patient centeredness in multidisciplinary cancer teams: findings of a national study. Ann Surg Oncol. 2013;20:1408-16 pubmed publisher..Recording dissent in decision making within the MDT is an important element, which should be defined further. The question of how best to represent the patient in MDT meetings also requires further exploration. ..
- Turner C, Dryden M, Holden M, Davies F, Lawrenson R, Farzaneh L, et al. Molecular analysis of an outbreak of lethal postpartum sepsis caused by Streptococcus pyogenes. J Clin Microbiol. 2013;51:2089-95 pubmed publisher..pyogenes to cause a range of diseases in the puerperium with rapid transmission, underlining the importance of immediate recognition and response by clinical infection and occupational health teams...
- Quinlan D, Eriksson B. Novel oral anticoagulants for thromboprophylaxis after orthopaedic surgery. Best Pract Res Clin Haematol. 2013;26:171-82 pubmed publisher..Potential issues to be considered when using these oral anticoagulants include renal impairment, potential drug interactions, neuraxial anaesthesia and management of bleeding. ..
- Patel S, Saberi N. External cervical resorption associated with the use of bisphosphonates: a case series. J Endod. 2015;41:742-8 pubmed publisher..Therefore, a possible causal link between BSPs and ECR could be drawn. ..
- CecÃlio N, Carvalho F, Liu Y, Moncrieffe M, Buranello P, Zorzetto Fernandes A, et al. Yeast expressed ArtinM shares structure, carbohydrate recognition, and biological effects with native ArtinM. Int J Biol Macromol. 2016;82:22-30 pubmed publisher..In summary, the expression of ArtinM in yeast resulted in successful production of an active, recombinant form of ArtinM that is potentially useful for pharmaceutical application. ..
- Iyasere O, Brown E, Johansson L, Huson L, Smee J, Maxwell A, et al. Quality of Life and Physical Function in Older Patients on Dialysis: A Comparison of Assisted Peritoneal Dialysis with Hemodialysis. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2016;11:423-30 pubmed publisher..Assisted PD should be considered as an alternative to HD for older patients, allowing them to make their preferred choices. ..
- van der Harst P, De Windt L, Chambers J. Translational Perspective on Epigenetics in Cardiovascular Disease. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2017;70:590-606 pubmed publisher..Finally, the authors provide some suggestions for future directions. ..
- Arnemann J, Jakubiczka S, Thüring S, Schmidtke J. Cloning and sequence analysis of a human Y-chromosome-derived, testicular cDNA, TSPY. Genomics. 1991;11:108-14 pubmed..PCR analysis of genomic DNA from patients with specific primers confirmed the simultaneous presence of at least two independent loci on the proximal short arm of the Y chromosome. ..
- McBride W. Spontaneous abortion. Am Fam Physician. 1991;43:175-82 pubmed..In all cases, uterine evacuation, avoidance of complications and psychologic support of the family are important. The prognosis for a subsequent successful pregnancy is good, except in cases of habitual abortion. ..
- Clewley J. Polymerase chain reaction assay of parvovirus B19 DNA in clinical specimens. J Clin Microbiol. 1989;27:2647-51 pubmed..A total of 74 (83%) were found positive for B19 DNA by PCR. The high rate of detection by PCR probably represents "decay" of viral DNA after the peak of viremia and is not a clinically significant phenomenon. ..
- Morrell M, Harty H, Adams L, Guz A. Breathing during wakefulness and NREM sleep in humans without an upper airway. J Appl Physiol (1985). 1996;81:274-81 pubmed..1 +/- 2.1 vs. 0.8 +/- 2.1 l/min; P > 0.05). Our observations are not consistent with the view that increases in upper airway resistance are obligatory for sleep-related CO2 retention in humans...
- Miller G, Mitropoulos K, Nanjee M, Howarth D, Martin J, Esnouf M, et al. Very low activated factor VII and reduced factor VII antigen in familial abetalipoproteinaemia. Thromb Haemost. 1998;80:233-8 pubmed..Mean factor XI activity and tissue factor pathway inhibitor activity were reduced in patients to 70% and 75% of control values respectively, while factor XII, factor XI antigen, factor X, prothrombin and protein C were normal...
- Haddad E, Fox A, Rousell J, Burgess G, McIntyre P, Barnes P, et al. Post-transcriptional regulation of bradykinin B1 and B2 receptor gene expression in human lung fibroblasts by tumor necrosis factor-alpha: modulation by dexamethasone. Mol Pharmacol. 2000;57:1123-31 pubmed..Nuclear run-on experiments demonstrate that the induction of B1 and the up-regulation of B2 receptors as well as the inhibitory effect of dexamethasone are entirely mediated through post-transcriptional mechanisms. ..
- Blake G, Knapp K, Spector T, Fogelman I. Predicting the risk of fracture at any site in the skeleton: are all bone mineral density measurement sites equally effective?. Calcif Tissue Int. 2006;78:9-17 pubmed
- Low Y, Dunning A, Dowsett M, Luben R, Khaw K, Wareham N, et al. Implications of gene-environment interaction in studies of gene variants in breast cancer: an example of dietary isoflavones and the D356N polymorphism in the sex hormone-binding globulin gene. Cancer Res. 2006;66:8980-3 pubmed
- Toumpanakis C, Standish R, Baishnab E, Winslet M, Caplin M. Goblet cell carcinoid tumors (adenocarcinoid) of the appendix. Dis Colon Rectum. 2007;50:315-22 pubmed..We present the long-term results of a series of 15 patients, focusing on clinical manifestations, diagnosis, and management...
- Tilston N, Skelly C, Weinstein P. Pan-European Chikungunya surveillance: designing risk stratified surveillance zones. Int J Health Geogr. 2009;8:61 pubmed publisher..Therefore this study represents a first attempt at creating risk stratified surveillance zones, which we believe could be usefully refined with the use of higher resolution climate data and more complete air travel data. ..
- Huijbers I, Iravani M, Popov S, Robertson D, Al Sarraj S, Jones C, et al. A role for fibrillar collagen deposition and the collagen internalization receptor endo180 in glioma invasion. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e9808 pubmed publisher..Together these data provide important insights into the mechanism of GBM invasion and identify Endo180 as a potential target to limit matrix turnover by glioma cells and thereby restrict tumor progression. ..
- Lucchesi W, Mizuno K, Giese K. Novel insights into CaMKII function and regulation during memory formation. Brain Res Bull. 2011;85:2-8 pubmed publisher..Thus, regulation of the expression of endogenous CaMKII inhibitors may constitute a novel negative feedback on CaMKII signalling during memory formation. ..
- Treeby B, Zhang E, Thomas A, Cox B. Measurement of the ultrasound attenuation and dispersion in whole human blood and its components from 0-70 MHz. Ultrasound Med Biol. 2011;37:289-300 pubmed publisher..A review of the attenuation mechanisms in blood along with previously reported experimental measurements is given. Values for the sound speed and density in the tested samples are also presented. ..
- Rajak S, Habtamu E, Weiss H, Bedri A, Zerihun M, Gebre T, et al. Why do people not attend for treatment for trachomatous trichiasis in Ethiopia? A study of barriers to surgery. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2012;6:e1766 pubmed publisher..These can to a large extent be reduced or overcome through the provision of free or low cost surgery at the community level. ClinicalTrials.gov NCT00522860 and NCT00522912. ..
- Maringe C, Mangtani P, Rachet B, Leon D, Coleman M, dos Santos Silva I. Cancer incidence in South Asian migrants to England, 1986-2004: unraveling ethnic from socioeconomic differentials. Int J Cancer. 2013;132:1886-94 pubmed publisher..Although these trends vary by cancer, they have important implications for both prevention and anticipating health-care demand. ..
- Wu J, Zhu S, Yao G, Mohammed M, Marshall T. Patient factors influencing the prescribing of lipid lowering drugs for primary prevention of cardiovascular disease in UK general practice: a national retrospective cohort study. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e67611 pubmed publisher..06-4.42). The predictors were similar in eligible and ineligible patients. Most lipid lowering drugs for primary prevention are prescribed to ineligible patients. There is underuse of lipid lowering drugs in eligible patients. ..
- Ataklte F, Erqou S, Laukkanen J, Kaptoge S. Meta-analysis of ventricular premature complexes and their relation to cardiac mortality in general populations. Am J Cardiol. 2013;112:1263-70 pubmed publisher..Further study is needed to determine the role of confounding and underlying structural heart disease in the observed association and its utility in cardiovascular risk prediction. ..
- Pembrey L, Raynor P, Griffiths P, Chaytor S, Wright J, Hall A. Seroprevalence of cytomegalovirus, Epstein Barr virus and varicella zoster virus among pregnant women in Bradford: a cohort study. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e81881 pubmed publisher..To estimate the seroprevalence of cytomegalovirus (CMV), Epstein Barr virus (EBV) and varicella zoster virus (VZV) among pregnant women in Bradford by ethnic group and country of birth...