Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on drosophila proteins in Cambridge, England, United Kingdom
Locale: Cambridge, England, United Kingdom
Topic: drosophila proteins
- Wasserman J, Freeman M. An autoregulatory cascade of EGF receptor signaling patterns the Drosophila egg. Cell. 1998;95:355-64 pubmed..This sequential activation, amplification, and local inhibition of the EGFR forms an autoregulatory cascade that leads to the splitting of an initial single peak of signaling into two, thereby patterning the egg. ..
- Parker J, Mizuguchi K, Gay N. A family of proteins related to Spätzle, the toll receptor ligand, are encoded in the Drosophila genome. Proteins. 2001;45:71-80 pubmed..By contrast, Spz6 shows a complex spatial and temporally regulated expression pattern in the late embryo. Thus the new Toll/Spätzle families of signaling molecules may have important roles in other aspects of development and immunity. ..
- Ulian Benitez S, Bishop S, Földi I, Wentzell J, Okenwa C, Forero M, et al. Kek-6: A truncated-Trk-like receptor for Drosophila neurotrophin 2 regulates structural synaptic plasticity. PLoS Genet. 2017;13:e1006968 pubmed publisher..This raises the intriguing possibility that a novel mechanism of structural synaptic plasticity involving truncated Trk-family receptors independently of TyrK signaling may also operate in the human brain. ..
- Thompson E, Travers A. A Drosophila Smyd4 homologue is a muscle-specific transcriptional modulator involved in development. PLoS ONE. 2008;3:e3008 pubmed publisher..Repression of transcription by dSmyd4 and the involvement of this protein in development suggests that aspects of Smyd protein function are conserved between vertebrates and invertebrates. ..
- Badenhorst P, Finch J, Travers A. Tramtrack co-operates to prevent inappropriate neural development in Drosophila. Mech Dev. 2002;117:87-101 pubmed..We show that the Ttk BTB domain is a protein-protein interaction motif mediating tetramer formation...
- Sinka R, Gillingham A, Kondylis V, Munro S. Golgi coiled-coil proteins contain multiple binding sites for Rab family G proteins. J Cell Biol. 2008;183:607-15 pubmed publisher..Binding sites for diverse Rabs could ensure that incoming carriers are captured on first contact and moved to their correct destination within the stack. ..
- Vaquerizas J, Suyama R, Kind J, Miura K, Luscombe N, Akhtar A. Nuclear pore proteins nup153 and megator define transcriptionally active regions in the Drosophila genome. PLoS Genet. 2010;6:e1000846 pubmed publisher..Therefore, we suggest that NAR-binding is used for chromosomal organization that enables gene expression control. ..
- Housden B, Terriente Félix A, Bray S. Context-dependent enhancer selection confers alternate modes of notch regulation on argos. Mol Cell Biol. 2014;34:664-72 pubmed publisher..This is likely to be a general mechanism for enabling the wiring between these pathways to switch according to context. ..
- Gordon D, Chia J, Jayawardena K, Antrobus R, Bard F, Peden A. VAMP3/Syb and YKT6 are required for the fusion of constitutive secretory carriers with the plasma membrane. PLoS Genet. 2017;13:e1006698 pubmed publisher..The unexpected role of YKT6 in plasma membrane fusion may in part explain why RNAi and gene disruption studies have failed to produce the expected phenotypes in higher eukaryotes. ..
- Prieto Godino L, Diegelmann S, Bate M. Embryonic origin of olfactory circuitry in Drosophila: contact and activity-mediated interactions pattern connectivity in the antennal lobe. PLoS Biol. 2012;10:e1001400 pubmed publisher..Our findings show an unexpected similarity between the early development of olfactory networks in Drosophila and vertebrates and demonstrate developmental mechanisms that can lead to an improved coding capacity in olfactory neurons. ..
- Furriols M, Bray S. Dissecting the mechanisms of suppressor of hairless function. Dev Biol. 2000;227:520-32 pubmed..The wing-overgrowth phenotype is sensitive to the dose of Hairless and the phenotypes produced by coexpressing Su(H) and Hairless suggest that Hairless could form a component of this repressive complex. ..
- Johnson K, Knust E, Skaer H. bloated tubules (blot) encodes a Drosophila member of the neurotransmitter transporter family required for organisation of the apical cytocortex. Dev Biol. 1999;212:440-54 pubmed..The isolation of blot thus provides the basis for an analysis of the relationship between the function of this putative transporter and epithelial morphogenesis. ..
- Mazoyer S, Gayther S, Nagai M, Smith S, Dunning A, Van Rensburg E, et al. A gene (DLG2) located at 17q12-q21 encodes a new homologue of the Drosophila tumor suppressor dIg-A. Genomics. 1995;28:25-31 pubmed..No evidence for mutation was found, making it unlikely that DLG2 is involved in sporadic breast cancer. ..
- Sanders P, Muñoz Descalzo S, Balayo T, Wirtz Peitz F, Hayward P, Arias A. Ligand-independent traffic of Notch buffers activated Armadillo in Drosophila. PLoS Biol. 2009;7:e1000169 pubmed publisher..These interactions reveal a previously unknown activity of Notch, which serves to buffer the function of activated Armadillo and might underlie some of its transcription-independent effects. ..
- Schuldt A, Brand A. Mastermind acts downstream of notch to specify neuronal cell fates in the Drosophila central nervous system. Dev Biol. 1999;205:287-95 pubmed..This suggests that Notch signalling through Mastermind plays a wider role in specifying neuronal identity in the Drosophila central nervous system. ..
- Archambault V, D Avino P, Deery M, Lilley K, Glover D. Sequestration of Polo kinase to microtubules by phosphopriming-independent binding to Map205 is relieved by phosphorylation at a CDK site in mitosis. Genes Dev. 2008;22:2707-20 pubmed publisher..We propose that Map205-dependent targeting of Polo to microtubules provides a stable reservoir of Polo that can be rapidly mobilized by the activity of Cdk1 at mitotic entry. ..
- Hirose K, Lockhart A, Cross R, Amos L. Three-dimensional cryoelectron microscopy of dimeric kinesin and ncd motor domains on microtubules. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1996;93:9539-44 pubmed..There is also a distinct difference in orientation: the second kinesin head is tilted toward the microtubule plus end, while the second head of ncd points toward the minus end. ..
- Cliffe A, Hamada F, Bienz M. A role of Dishevelled in relocating Axin to the plasma membrane during wingless signaling. Curr Biol. 2003;13:960-6 pubmed..This relocation depends on Dsh. It may permit the subsequent inactivation of the Axin complex by Wingless signaling. ..
- Georgiev P, Toscano S, Nair A, Hardie R, Raghu P. Identification of a suppressor of retinal degeneration in Drosophila photoreceptors. J Neurogenet. 2012;26:338-47 pubmed publisher..Studies of su(40) as well as these new alleles should facilitate the understanding of the mechanisms by which excessive Ca(2+) influx results in retinal degeneration. ..
- Raghu P, Hardie R. Regulation of Drosophila TRPC channels by lipid messengers. Cell Calcium. 2009;45:566-73 pubmed publisher..Evidence on the role of these lipid elements in regulating TRP and TRPL activity is discussed in this review. ..
- Bienz M, Muller J. Transcriptional silencing of homeotic genes in Drosophila. Bioessays. 1995;17:775-84 pubmed..We propose that this complex consists of specific non-histone proteins, the so-called Polycomb group proteins, and that it is anchored at SIL-M elements and at the promoter. ..
- van der Weyden L, Adams D, Harris L, Tannahill D, Arends M, Bradley A. Null and conditional semaphorin 3B alleles using a flexible puroDeltatk loxP/FRT vector. Genesis. 2005;41:171-8 pubmed..This targeting vector system has broad applicability in any knockout experiment and provides a flexible approach for the generation of modified alleles in mice. ..
- van Tienen L, Mieszczanek J, Fiedler M, Rutherford T, Bienz M. Constitutive scaffolding of multiple Wnt enhanceosome components by Legless/BCL9. elife. 2017;6: pubmed publisher..An unexpected link between BCL9/B9L, PYGO2 and nuclear co-receptor complexes suggests that these Î²-catenin co-factors may coordinate Wnt and nuclear hormone responses. ..
- Mao Y, Kerr M, Freeman M. Modulation of Drosophila retinal epithelial integrity by the adhesion proteins capricious and tartan. PLoS ONE. 2008;3:e1827 pubmed publisher..We conclude that Capricious and Tartan contribute to the adhesive properties of the cells in the morphogenetic furrow and that this regulated adhesion participates in the control of spacing ommatidial clusters. ..
- Kelsh R, Weinzierl R, White R, Akam M. Homeotic gene expression in the locust Schistocerca: an antibody that detects conserved epitopes in Ultrabithorax and abdominal-A proteins. Dev Genet. 1994;15:19-31 pubmed
- Babaoglan A, Housden B, Furriols M, Bray S. Deadpan contributes to the robustness of the notch response. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e75632 pubmed publisher..Thus the combined actions of dpn and E(spl) appear to provide a mechanism that confers an initial rapid output from Notch activity which becomes self-limited via feedback between the targets. ..
- Mauss A, Tripodi M, Evers J, Landgraf M. Midline signalling systems direct the formation of a neural map by dendritic targeting in the Drosophila motor system. PLoS Biol. 2009;7:e1000200 pubmed publisher..We further propose that sets of connections may be specified, at least to a degree, by global patterning systems that deliver pre- and postsynaptic partner terminals to common "meeting regions." ..
- Choo S, White R, Russell S. Genome-wide analysis of the binding of the Hox protein Ultrabithorax and the Hox cofactor Homothorax in Drosophila. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e14778 pubmed publisher..Overall, we define a set of direct Ubx targets in the haltere imaginal disc and suggest that chromatin accessibility has important implications for Hox target selection and for transcription factor binding in general. ..
- Bulgakova N, Klapholz B, Brown N. Cell adhesion in Drosophila: versatility of cadherin and integrin complexes during development. Curr Opin Cell Biol. 2012;24:702-12 pubmed publisher..Importantly, even ubiquitous adhesion components can function differently in distinct cellular contexts. ..
- Fairall L, Harrison S, Travers A, Rhodes D. Sequence-specific DNA binding by a two zinc-finger peptide from the Drosophila melanogaster Tramtrack protein. J Mol Biol. 1992;226:349-66 pubmed
- Benton R, Palacios I, St Johnston D. Drosophila 14-3-3/PAR-5 is an essential mediator of PAR-1 function in axis formation. Dev Cell. 2002;3:659-71 pubmed..The C. elegans 14-3-3 protein, PAR-5, is also required for A-P polarization, suggesting that this is a conserved mechanism by which PAR-1 establishes cellular asymmetries. ..
- Vincent J, Lawrence P. Drosophila wingless sustains engrailed expression only in adjoining cells: evidence from mosaic embryos. Cell. 1994;77:909-15 pubmed..The wingless gene is also needed for maintenance of its own expression; using mosaics, we find that the range of this action is short as well. ..
- Prokop A, Martin Bermudo M, Bate M, Brown N. Absence of PS integrins or laminin A affects extracellular adhesion, but not intracellular assembly, of hemiadherens and neuromuscular junctions in Drosophila embryos. Dev Biol. 1998;196:58-76 pubmed..We suggest that neuromuscular contact in part requires basement membrane adhesion to the general muscle surface, and this form of adhesion is completely abolished in the absence of laminin A. ..
- Brennan K, Klein T, Wilder E, Arias A. Wingless modulates the effects of dominant negative notch molecules in the developing wing of Drosophila. Dev Biol. 1999;216:210-29 pubmed..This result suggests that signalling activated by Wingless leads to two effects, a reduction of Notch signalling and an activation of Armadillo. ..
- Holohan E, Kwong C, Adryan B, Bartkuhn M, Herold M, Renkawitz R, et al. CTCF genomic binding sites in Drosophila and the organisation of the bithorax complex. PLoS Genet. 2007;3:e112 pubmed..Comparison of the locations of the CTCF sites with characterised Polycomb target sites and histone modification provides support for the domain model of BX-C regulation. ..
- Taylor M. A novel Drosophila, mef2-regulated muscle gene isolated in a subtractive hybridization-based molecular screen using small amounts of zygotic mutant RNA. Dev Biol. 2000;220:37-52 pubmed..The tin-independent and Dmef2-independent expression of Dmeso18E indicates that it either occupies a link between twi and genes like tin and Dmef2 or it lies in a parallel pathway of gene activation. ..
- Hoppler S, Bienz M. Specification of a single cell type by a Drosophila homeotic gene. Cell. 1994;76:689-702 pubmed..Ectopic expression of lab during embryogenesis reprograms other midgut cells within and outside the lab domain to become copper cell-like. Thus, lab functions in the larval midgut to specify a single cell type. ..
- Falciani F, Hausdorf B, Schr der R, Akam M, Tautz D, Denell R, et al. Class 3 Hox genes in insects and the origin of zen. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1996;93:8479-84 pubmed..In the lineage leading to Drosophila, the zen genes have diverged particularly rapidly...
- Gunthorpe D, Beatty K, Taylor M. Different levels, but not different isoforms, of the Drosophila transcription factor DMEF2 affect distinct aspects of muscle differentiation. Dev Biol. 1999;215:130-45 pubmed..Finally, each isoform functioned equivalently in these experiments, including in the stringent test of rescue of the Dmef2 mutant phenotype. ..
- Djiane A, Shimizu H, Wilkin M, Mazleyrat S, Jennings M, Avis J, et al. Su(dx) E3 ubiquitin ligase-dependent and -independent functions of polychaetoid, the Drosophila ZO-1 homologue. J Cell Biol. 2011;192:189-200 pubmed publisher..As both Su(dx) and Expanded regulate trafficking, we propose that a conserved role of ZO proteins is to coordinate receptor trafficking and signaling with junctional organization. ..
- Huynh J, Petronczki M, Knoblich J, St Johnston D. Bazooka and PAR-6 are required with PAR-1 for the maintenance of oocyte fate in Drosophila. Curr Biol. 2001;11:901-6 pubmed..elegans and Drosophila, the relationships between them are different, as the localization of PAR-1 does not require Bazooka or PAR-6 in Drosophila, as it does in the worm. ..
- Zlatic M, Li F, Strigini M, Grueber W, Bate M. Positional cues in the Drosophila nerve cord: semaphorins pattern the dorso-ventral axis. PLoS Biol. 2009;7:e1000135 pubmed publisher..Together our findings support the idea that axons are delivered to particular regions of the neuropile by their responses to systems of positional cues in each dimension. ..
- Mieszczanek J, de la Roche M, Bienz M. A role of Pygopus as an anti-repressor in facilitating Wnt-dependent transcription. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:19324-9 pubmed publisher..This indicates an anti-repressor function of Pygo: we propose that Pygo predisposes Drosophila TCF target genes for rapid Wingless-induced transcription, or that it protects them against premature shut-down. ..
- Lawrence N, Langdon T, Brennan K, Arias A. Notch signaling targets the Wingless responsiveness of a Ubx visceral mesoderm enhancer in Drosophila. Curr Biol. 2001;11:375-85 pubmed
- Rangone H, Wegel E, Gatt M, Yeung E, Flowers A, Debski J, et al. Suppression of scant identifies Endos as a substrate of greatwall kinase and a negative regulator of protein phosphatase 2A in mitosis. PLoS Genet. 2011;7:e1002225 pubmed publisher..Together these interactions suggest that Greatwall and Endos act to promote the inactivation of PP2A-Twins/B55 in Drosophila. We discuss the involvement of Polo kinase in such a regulatory loop. ..
- Raghu P, Coessens E, Manifava M, Georgiev P, Pettitt T, Wood E, et al. Rhabdomere biogenesis in Drosophila photoreceptors is acutely sensitive to phosphatidic acid levels. J Cell Biol. 2009;185:129-45 pubmed publisher..We propose that PA levels are critical for apical membrane transport events required for rhabdomere biogenesis. ..
- Riese J, Yu X, Munnerlyn A, Eresh S, Hsu S, Grosschedl R, et al. LEF-1, a nuclear factor coordinating signaling inputs from wingless and decapentaplegic. Cell. 1997;88:777-87 pubmed..Thus, LEF-1 coordinates inputs from multiple positional signals, consistent with its architectural role in regulating the assembly of multiprotein enhancer complexes. ..
- Chu B, Liu C, Sengupta S, Gupta A, Raghu P, Hardie R. Common mechanisms regulating dark noise and quantum bump amplification in Drosophila photoreceptors. J Neurophysiol. 2013;109:2044-55 pubmed publisher..By contrast, quantum bump generation is reliable but delayed until sufficient G proteins and PLC are activated to overcome threshold, thereby ensuring generation of full-size bumps with high quantum efficiency. ..
- Schwabe J, Fairall L, Chapman L, Finch J, Dutnall R, Rhodes D. The cocrystal structures of two zinc-stabilized DNA-binding domains illustrate different ways of achieving sequence-specific DNA recognition. Cold Spring Harb Symp Quant Biol. 1993;58:141-7 pubmed
- Hayward P, Balayo T, Martinez Arias A. Notch synergizes with axin to regulate the activity of armadillo in Drosophila. Dev Dyn. 2006;235:2656-66 pubmed..Our results provide evidence for a function of Axin in the regulation of Armadillo that is different from its role as a scaffold for GSK3beta. ..
- Baonza A, Casci T, Freeman M. A primary role for the epidermal growth factor receptor in ommatidial spacing in the Drosophila eye. Curr Biol. 2001;11:396-404 pubmed..This model describes how successive rows of ommatidia form out of phase with each other, leading to the hexagonal array of facets in the compound eye. ..
- Hidalgo A, Kinrade E, Georgiou M. The Drosophila neuregulin vein maintains glial survival during axon guidance in the CNS. Dev Cell. 2001;1:679-90 pubmed..This mechanism links axon guidance to control of glial cell number and may contribute to plasticity during the establishment of normal axonal trajectories. ..
- Casci T, Vinós J, Freeman M. Sprouty, an intracellular inhibitor of Ras signaling. Cell. 1999;96:655-65 pubmed..Sprouty binds to two intracellular components of the Ras pathway, Drk and Gap1. Our results indicate that Sprouty is a widespread inhibitor of Ras pathway signal transduction. ..
- Lopez Schier H, St Johnston D. Drosophila nicastrin is essential for the intramembranous cleavage of notch. Dev Cell. 2002;2:79-89 pubmed..nicastrin and presenilin mutations also disrupt the spectrin cytoskeleton, suggesting that the gamma-secretase complex has another function in Drosophila in addition to its role in processing Notch and APP. ..
- Urban S, Schlieper D, Freeman M. Conservation of intramembrane proteolytic activity and substrate specificity in prokaryotic and eukaryotic rhomboids. Curr Biol. 2002;12:1507-12 pubmed..Moreover, a function for Rhomboids in activating intercellular signaling appears to have evolved early. ..
- McCaffrey R, St Johnston D, González Reyes A. A novel mutant phenotype implicates dicephalic in cyst formation in the Drosophila ovary. Dev Dyn. 2006;235:908-17 pubmed..We propose a model in which dicephalic is involved in the proper adhesion between the oocyte and the somatic follicle cells. ..