Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on animals in Nottingham, England, United Kingdom
Locale: Nottingham, England, United Kingdom
Publications231 found, 100 shown here
- da Costa Araújo S, Body S, Valencia Torres L, Olarte Sanchez C, Bak V, Deakin J, et al. Choice between reinforcer delays versus choice between reinforcer magnitudes: differential Fos expression in the orbital prefrontal cortex and nucleus accumbens core. Behav Brain Res. 2010;213:269-77 pubmed publisher..The results are consistent with previous findings that implicated the AcbC and OPFC in delay discounting, and the OPFC in sensitivity to reinforcer size. ..
- Baker J. The selectivity of beta-adrenoceptor agonists at human beta1-, beta2- and beta3-adrenoceptors. Br J Pharmacol. 2010;160:1048-61 pubmed publisher..This study examined the affinity and intrinsic efficacy of 31 beta-adrenoceptor agonists at the three human beta-adrenoceptors to determine whether the current agonists are subtype selective because of affinity or intrinsic efficacy...
- Gardiner S, March J, Kemp P, Bennett T, Baker D. Possible involvement of GLP-1(9-36) in the regional haemodynamic effects of GLP-1(7-36) in conscious rats. Br J Pharmacol. 2010;161:92-102 pubmed publisher..In conscious rats, the cardiovascular effects of GLP-1(7-36) resemble those of the GLP analogue, exendin-4, and are attributable to the intact peptide rather than the cleavage product, GLP-1(9-36). ..
- Lyons L, ElBeltagy M, Bennett G, Wigmore P. Fluoxetine counteracts the cognitive and cellular effects of 5-fluorouracil in the rat hippocampus by a mechanism of prevention rather than recovery. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e30010 pubmed publisher..This provides information on the mechanism by which fluoxetine acts to protect against 5-FU and indicates when it would be beneficial to administer the antidepressant to cancer patients. ..
- Toledo Rodriguez M, Loyse N, Bourdon C, Arab S, Pausova Z. Effect of prenatal exposure to nicotine on kidney glomerular mass and AT1R expression in genetically diverse strains of rats. Toxicol Lett. 2012;213:228-34 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that, in genetically vulnerable individuals, PEN leads to morphological and molecular changes in the kidneys that may contribute to fetal programming of hypertension. ..
- Rajamohan D, Matsa E, Kalra S, Crutchley J, Patel A, George V, et al. Current status of drug screening and disease modelling in human pluripotent stem cells. Bioessays. 2013;35:281-98 pubmed publisher..Such successes will provide an incentive to overcome bottlenecks in hPSC technology such as improving cell maturity and industrial scalability whilst reducing cost...
- Gray C, Al Dujaili E, Sparrow A, Gardiner S, Craigon J, Welham S, et al. Excess maternal salt intake produces sex-specific hypertension in offspring: putative roles for kidney and gastrointestinal sodium handling. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e72682 pubmed publisher..Hence, our evidence further supports the argument that excess dietary salt should be avoided per se, particularly in the range of foods consumed by physiologically immature young. ..
- Hammond A, Fry J. Involvement of cytochrome P4502E1 in the toxicity of dichloropropanol to rat hepatocyte cultures. Toxicology. 1997;118:171-9 pubmed..These results indicate that isoniazid-inducible P4502E1 can mediate the toxicity of dichloropropanol...
- Tarhoni M, Lister T, Ray D, Carter W. Albumin binding as a potential biomarker of exposure to moderately low levels of organophosphorus pesticides. Biomarkers. 2008;13:343-63 pubmed..Our results suggest albumin may be a useful additional biomonitor for moderately low-level exposures to several widely used pesticides, and that this binding differs markedly between pesticides. ..
- Simpson J, Sundler F, Humes D, Jenkins D, Scholefield J, Spiller R. Post inflammatory damage to the enteric nervous system in diverticular disease and its relationship to symptoms. Neurogastroenterol Motil. 2009;21:847-e58 pubmed publisher..Patients with symptomatic diverticular disease exhibit increased neuropeptides in mucosal biopsies which may reflect resolved prior inflammation, as it parallels the changes seen in acute and chronic diverticulitis. ..
- Seth R, Crook S, Ibrahem S, Fadhil W, Jackson D, Ilyas M. Concomitant mutations and splice variants in KRAS and BRAF demonstrate complex perturbation of the Ras/Raf signalling pathway in advanced colorectal cancer. Gut. 2009;58:1234-41 pubmed publisher..Finally, if KRAS mutation is to be used for predictive testing, then the whole gene may need to be screened as mutations occur outside codons 12/13. ..
- McLaren J, White L, Cox H, Ashraf W, Rahman C, Blunn G, et al. A biodegradable antibiotic-impregnated scaffold to prevent osteomyelitis in a contaminated in vivo bone defect model. Eur Cell Mater. 2014;27:332-49 pubmed..The antibiotic-impregnated scaffolds were effective in preventing S. aureus infections whilst supporting bone growth and repair. If translated into clinical practice, this approach might reduce the need for systemic antibiotics. ..
- ..Other conditions including IBS-C and constipation may have inadequate 5-HT release and benefit from both 5-HT(3) and 5-HT(4) receptor agonists. ..
- Smith P. N-type Ca(2+) -channels in murine pancreatic beta-cells are inhibited by an exclusive coupling with somatostatin receptor subtype 1. Endocrinology. 2009;150:741-8 pubmed publisher..These findings help explain how SSTR1 activation can inhibit insulin secretion in pancreatic beta-cells and suggest a possible new therapeutic lead for treatment of hyperinsulinemia. ..
- Nelson A, Thur K, Marsden C, Cassaday H. Dissociable roles of dopamine within the core and medial shell of the nucleus accumbens in memory for objects and place. Behav Neurosci. 2010;124:789-99 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that dopamine function within distinct subregions of the NAc plays dissociable roles in the modulation of memory for objects and place...
- Billington C, Hall I. Novel cAMP signalling paradigms: therapeutic implications for airway disease. Br J Pharmacol. 2012;166:401-10 pubmed publisher..LINKED ARTICLES This article is part of a themed section on Novel cAMP Signalling Paradigms. To view the other articles in this section visit http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/bph.2012.166.issue-2. ..
- Brown A, Evans R, Black J, Ransom B. Schwann cell glycogen selectively supports myelinated axon function. Ann Neurol. 2012;72:406-18 pubmed publisher..Unmyelinated axons are not protected by glycogen and are more vulnerable to dysfunction during periods of hypoglycemia. . ..
- Richards P, Liu M, Lowe N, Davey J, Blaxter M, Davison A. RAD-Seq derived markers flank the shell colour and banding loci of the Cepaea nemoralis supergene. Mol Ecol. 2013;22:3077-89 pubmed publisher..The closest RAD-Seq markers scored are within ~0.6 centimorgan (cM) of the C-B supergene linkage group, with the combined loci together forming a 35.8 cM linkage map of markers that flank both sides of the Cepaea C-B supergene. ..
- Welbat J, Chaisawang P, Chaijaroonkhanarak W, Prachaney P, Pannangrong W, Sripanidkulchai B, et al. Kaempferia parviflora extract ameliorates the cognitive impairments and the reduction in cell proliferation induced by valproic acid treatment in rats. Ann Anat. 2016;206:7-13 pubmed publisher..These findings demonstrate that K. parviflora is able to prevent the brain from VPA-induced the impairments of spatial memory and proliferating cells within the SGZ. ..
- Ishii Y, Abu Elmagd M, Scotting P. Sox3 expression defines a common primordium for the epibranchial placodes in chick. Dev Biol. 2001;236:344-53 pubmed..The data presented here suggest that post-otic placodes are remnants of a common primordium defined as a discrete domain of cSox3 expression. ..
- Flohr C, Weiland S, Weinmayr G, Bjorksten B, Bråbäck L, Brunekreef B, et al. The role of atopic sensitization in flexural eczema: findings from the International Study of Asthma and Allergies in Childhood Phase Two. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2008;121:141-147.e4 pubmed..006 and P < .001, respectively). The association between atopy and flexural eczema is weak and more variable than previously suggested, and the strength of this association is positively linked to gross national income. ..
- Moore C, Hewitt J. Dystroglycan glycosylation and muscular dystrophy. Glycoconj J. 2009;26:349-57 pubmed publisher..Here we highlight their known or postulated functions. This glycosylation pathway appears to be highly specific (dystroglycan is the only substrate identified thus far) and to be highly conserved during evolution. ..
- Almeida R, Loose M, Sottile V, Matsa E, Denning C, Young L, et al. 5-hydroxymethyl-cytosine enrichment of non-committed cells is not a universal feature of vertebrate development. Epigenetics. 2012;7:383-9 pubmed publisher..Our findings show that 5-hmC enrichment of non-committed cells is not a universal feature of vertebrate development and give insights both into evolution of embryonic pluripotency and the potential role of 5-hmC in its regulation. ..
- Balls M, Hudson M. Comments on UK options for transposition of European Directive 2010/63/EU. Altern Lab Anim. 2012;40:109-13 pubmed
- Ibrahim E, Babaei Jadidi R, Saadeddin A, Spencer Dene B, Hossaini S, Abuzinadah M, et al. Embryonic NANOG activity defines colorectal cancer stem cells and modulates through AP1- and TCF-dependent mechanisms. Stem Cells. 2012;30:2076-87 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our data suggest that ?-Catenin/TCF4 and c-JUN together drive a subpopulation of CRC tumor cells that adopt a stem-like phenotype via the NANOG1-promoter. ..
- Hanley Q, Murray P, Forde T. Microspectroscopic fluorescence analysis with prism-based imaging spectrometers: review and current studies. Cytometry A. 2006;69:759-66 pubmed..Fluorescence imaging spectroscopy is a rapidly advancing technology, uniquely suited to the flexible detection of dyes over a wide range of wavelengths. ..
- Cheung T, Bezzina G, Hampson C, Body S, Fone K, Bradshaw C, et al. Effect of quinpirole on timing behaviour in the free-operant psychophysical procedure: evidence for the involvement of D2 dopamine receptors. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2007;193:423-36 pubmed..015 mg kg(-1)). Results suggest that quinpirole reduced T (50) via an action at D(2) receptors. D(1)-like and D(2)-like receptors may mediate behaviourally similar but pharmacologically distinct effects on timing behaviour. ..
- Jhaveri M, Richardson D, Chapman V. Endocannabinoid metabolism and uptake: novel targets for neuropathic and inflammatory pain. Br J Pharmacol. 2007;152:624-32 pubmed..Herein we review recent studies of the effects of inhibition of metabolism of endocannabinoids versus uptake of endocannabinoids on nociceptive processing in models of inflammatory and neuropathic pain. ..
- Haritou S, Zylstra R, Ralli C, Turner S, Tortonese D. Seasonal changes in circadian peripheral plasma concentrations of melatonin, serotonin, dopamine and cortisol in aged horses with Cushing's disease under natural photoperiod. J Neuroendocrinol. 2008;20:988-96 pubmed publisher..In addition, the results provide evidence that alterations in the dopaminergic and serotoninergic systems may participate in the pathogenesis of PPID. ..
- Bacardit J, Stout M, Hirst J, Valencia A, Smith R, Krasnogor N. Automated alphabet reduction for protein datasets. BMC Bioinformatics. 2009;10:6 pubmed publisher..This process is done without any domain knowledge, using information theory metrics instead. The reduced alphabets contain some unexpected (but sound) groups of amino acids, thus suggesting new ways of interpreting the data. ..
- Wheal A, Alexander S, Randall M. Vasorelaxation to N-oleoylethanolamine in rat isolated arteries: mechanisms of action and modulation via cyclooxygenase activity. Br J Pharmacol. 2010;160:701-11 pubmed publisher..In addition, vasorelaxation to OEA is enhanced following cyclooxygenase inhibition. OEA may also interfere with the release of intracellular calcium in arterial preparations. ..
- Chau D, Johnson C, MacNeil S, Haycock J, Ghaemmaghami A. The development of a 3D immunocompetent model of human skin. Biofabrication. 2013;5:035011 pubmed publisher..Once fully optimized, this model can also be used as a platform for testing the allergenic potential of new chemicals and drug leads. ..
- Saif J, Vadakekolathu J, Rane S, McDonald D, Ahmad M, Mathieu M, et al. Novel prostate acid phosphatase-based peptide vaccination strategy induces antigen-specific T-cell responses and limits tumour growth in mice. Eur J Immunol. 2014;44:994-1004 pubmed publisher..PAP-114-128 therefore appears to be a highly relevant peptide on which to base vaccines for the treatment of prostate cancer. ..
- Tomlinson K, Gardiner S, Bennett T. Blood pressure in streptozotocin-treated Brattleboro and Long-Evans rats. Am J Physiol. 1990;258:R852-9 pubmed..The abnormalities in ANG II- and AVP-mediated recovery were prevented by insulin treatment. ..
- Foulkes R, Gardiner S, Bennett T. Exogenous corticosterone acetate attenuates the hypotension induced by ganglion blockade in conscious Long Evans and Brattleboro rats. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 1987;243:1048-54 pubmed
- Thornley J, Jenkins D, Neal K, Wright T, Brough J, Spiller R. Relationship of Campylobacter toxigenicity in vitro to the development of postinfectious irritable bowel syndrome. J Infect Dis. 2001;184:606-9 pubmed..jejuni enteritis infection (both, P<.05). Thus, long-term symptoms that occur Campylobacter infection are significantly associated with bacterial toxicity. ..
- Woolard J, Bennett T, Dunn W, Heal D, Aspley S, Gardiner S. Acute cardiovascular effects of sibutramine in conscious rats. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2004;308:1102-10 pubmed..It remains to explain why BTS 54354, but not BTS 54505, enhanced norepinephrine sensitivity in vitro, because both metabolites are potent inhibitors of the norepinephrine transporter. ..
- Finn D, Beckett S, Roe C, Madjd A, Fone K, Kendall D, et al. Effects of coadministration of cannabinoids and morphine on nociceptive behaviour, brain monoamines and HPA axis activity in a rat model of persistent pain. Eur J Neurosci. 2004;19:678-86 pubmed..Nevertheless, these enhanced antinociceptive effects were associated with increased secondary effects on locomotor activity. ..
- Ramage J, Metheringham R, Conn A, Spendlove I, Moss R, Patton D, et al. Identification of an HLA-A*0201 cytotoxic T lymphocyte epitope specific to the endothelial antigen Tie-2. Int J Cancer. 2004;110:245-50 pubmed..Our study demonstrates that it is possible to break tolerance to the endothelial antigen Tie-2, suggesting that it may be feasible to design a vaccine to activate CTLs to kill endothelial cells overexpressing Tie-2. ..
- Zaitoun A, Apelqvist G, Al Mardini H, Gray T, Bengtsson F, Record C. Quantitative studies of liver atrophy after portacaval shunt in the rat. J Surg Res. 2006;131:225-32 pubmed..The mechanism of atrophy is a complex one. Portacaval shunting leads to hepatic atrophy that, in turn, results in microcirculatory and hormonal changes that further contribute to liver cell loss in this animal model. ..
- Tomlinson E, Palaniyappan N, Tooth D, Layfield R. Methods for the purification of ubiquitinated proteins. Proteomics. 2007;7:1016-22 pubmed..Here we review the methods that have been applied to the bulk purification of ubiquitinated proteins and discuss their applications in proteomic analyses of the 'ubiquitome'. ..
- El Zaatari M, Grabowska A, McKenzie A, Powe D, Scotting P, Watson S. Cyclopamine inhibition of the sonic hedgehog pathway in the stomach requires concomitant acid inhibition. Regul Pept. 2008;146:131-9 pubmed
- Turner J, Jackson J, Faulkner H, Behnke J, Else K, Kamgno J, et al. Intensity of intestinal infection with multiple worm species is related to regulatory cytokine output and immune hyporesponsiveness. J Infect Dis. 2008;197:1204-12 pubmed publisher..Total immune reactivity and anti-inflammatory cytokine production relate inversely. Our data suggest that gut nematodes are important mediators of immunoregulation...
- Bedford L, Hay D, Paine S, Rezvani N, Mee M, Lowe J, et al. Is malfunction of the ubiquitin proteasome system the primary cause of alpha-synucleinopathies and other chronic human neurodegenerative disease?. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2008;1782:683-90 pubmed publisher..Gene deletion in catecholaminergic neurons, including in the substantia nigra, recapitulates the neuropathology of Parkinson's disease. ..
- Talasila A, Germack R, Dickenson J. Characterization of P2Y receptor subtypes functionally expressed on neonatal rat cardiac myofibroblasts. Br J Pharmacol. 2009;158:339-53 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, P2Y(2) and P2Y(4) receptor subtypes were also coupled to G(i/o). The G(s) response to adenine nucleotides suggests a possible expression of a new P2Y receptor subtype. ..
- Styles P, Brookfield J. Source gene composition and gene conversion of the AluYh and AluYi lineages of retrotransposons. BMC Evol Biol. 2009;9:102 pubmed publisher..It is clear that there is considerable variation in the number of source genes present in each of the young Alu subfamilies. This can range from a single master source gene, as for AluYh3a3, to as many as 14 source elements in AluYi6. ..
- Valencia Torres L, Olarte Sanchez C, Body S, Fone K, Bradshaw C, Szabadi E. Fos expression in the prefrontal cortex and nucleus accumbens following exposure to retrospective timing tasks. Behav Neurosci. 2011;125:202-14 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that the prefrontal cortex and nucleus accumbens are involved in temporal discrimination. ..
- Foxler D, James V, Shelton S, Vallim T, Shaw P, Sharp T. PU.1 is a major transcriptional activator of the tumour suppressor gene LIMD1. FEBS Lett. 2011;585:1089-96 pubmed publisher..ChIP and EMSA analysis demonstrated that PU.1 specifically binds to the LIMD1 promoter. siRNA depletion of PU.1 significantly reduced endogenous LIMD1 expression, demonstrating that PU.1 is a major transcriptional activator of LIMD1. ..
- Nelson A, Thur K, Spicer C, Marsden C, Cassaday H. Catecholaminergic depletion in nucleus accumbens enhances trace conditioning. Adv Med Sci. 2011;56:71-9 pubmed publisher..However, the comparison depletion restricted to the shell subregion was less substantial, and a role for secondarily affected brain regions cannot be excluded. ..
- Atterbury R, Hobley L, Till R, Lambert C, Capeness M, Lerner T, et al. Effects of orally administered Bdellovibrio bacteriovorus on the well-being and Salmonella colonization of young chicks. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2011;77:5794-803 pubmed publisher..This work is a first step to applying Bdellovibrio therapeutically for other animal, and possibly human, infections...
- Durrant L, Noble P, Spendlove I. Immunology in the clinic review series; focus on cancer: glycolipids as targets for tumour immunotherapy. Clin Exp Immunol. 2012;167:206-15 pubmed publisher..This has resulted in the development of a number of vaccines and monoclonal antibodies that are showing promising results in recent clinical trials. ..
- Brown A, Horobin A, Blount D, Hill P, English J, Rich A, et al. Blow fly Lucilia sericata nuclease digests DNA associated with wound slough/eschar and with Pseudomonas aeruginosa biofilm. Med Vet Entomol. 2012;26:432-9 pubmed publisher..sericata. ..
- England J, Loughna S. Heavy and light roles: myosin in the morphogenesis of the heart. Cell Mol Life Sci. 2013;70:1221-39 pubmed publisher..The human molecular genetics of the myosins will also be reviewed. ..
- Abdel Fatah T, Sultana R, Abbotts R, Hawkes C, Seedhouse C, Chan S, et al. Clinicopathological and functional significance of XRCC1 expression in ovarian cancer. Int J Cancer. 2013;132:2778-86 pubmed publisher..Preclinical data provides mechanistic functional evidence for cisplatin sensitivity in XRCC1 negative cells. XRCC1 is a promising predictive biomarker in ovarian cancer. ..
- Ojha S, Saroha V, Symonds M, Budge H. Excess nutrient supply in early life and its later metabolic consequences. Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol. 2013;40:817-23 pubmed publisher..Research in this field could potentially identify optimal and appropriate preventative interventions for a burgeoning population at risk of increased mortality and morbidity from obesity and its concomitant metabolic conditions. ..
- Bracken Grissom H, Ahyong S, Wilkinson R, Feldmann R, Schweitzer C, Breinholt J, et al. The emergence of lobsters: phylogenetic relationships, morphological evolution and divergence time comparisons of an ancient group (decapoda: achelata, astacidea, glypheidea, polychelida). Syst Biol. 2014;63:457-79 pubmed publisher..Results from our study suggest including at least 1 fossil per 10 operational taxonomic units (OTUs) in divergence dating analyses. [Dating; decapods; divergence; lobsters; molecular; morphology; phylogenetics.]. ..
- Gardiner S, Bennett T, Compton A. Regional haemodynamic effects of neuropeptide Y, vasopressin and angiotensin II in conscious, unrestrained, Long Evans and Brattleboro rats. J Auton Nerv Syst. 1988;24:15-27 pubmed..It is feasible that, in the intact rat, AII stimulated adrenal medullary adrenal release which caused beta-adrenoceptor-mediated vasodilatation that acted to offset the direct vasoconstrictor effects of AII. ..
- Falcone F, Loukas A, Quinnell R, Pritchard D. The innate allergenicity of helminth parasites. Clin Rev Allergy Immunol. 2004;26:61-72 pubmed..Subsequent immunological and physiological events seemingly protect the host from both the allergic sequelae of exposure to environmental allergens and, moreover, from the parasite itself. ..
- Jackson J, Turner J, Rentoul L, Faulkner H, Behnke J, Hoyle M, et al. T helper cell type 2 responsiveness predicts future susceptibility to gastrointestinal nematodes in humans. J Infect Dis. 2004;190:1804-11 pubmed..The apparent plasticity of age-specific cytokine response-worm abundance relationships between different populations is also discussed...
- Erhuma A, Salter A, Sculley D, Langley Evans S, Bennett A. Prenatal exposure to a low-protein diet programs disordered regulation of lipid metabolism in the aging rat. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2007;292:E1702-14 pubmed..The data implicate altered expression of SREBP-1c and ChREBP as key mediators of the programmed phenotype, but the basis of the switch in metabolic status that occurred between 9 and 18 mo of age is, as yet, unidentified. ..
- Styles P, Brookfield J. Analysis of the features and source gene composition of the AluYg6 subfamily of human retrotransposons. BMC Evol Biol. 2007;7:102 pubmed..Access to the sequence data for the complete AluYg6 subfamily will be invaluable in future computational analyses investigating the evolution of young Alu subfamilies. ..
- Baker J. A study of antagonist affinities for the human histamine H2 receptor. Br J Pharmacol. 2008;153:1011-21 pubmed..Each GPCR therefore requires careful and detailed evaluation on its own. ..
- Clarke D, Sutcliffe A, Deacon K, Bradbury D, Corbett L, Knox A. PKCbetaII augments NF-kappaB-dependent transcription at the CCL11 promoter via p300/CBP-associated factor recruitment and histone H4 acetylation. J Immunol. 2008;181:3503-14 pubmed..These data suggest a novel important biological role for PKCbetaIotaIota in NF-kappaB-mediated CCL11 transcription by p/CAF activation and histone H4 acetylation. ..
- Ralevic V, Kendall D. Cannabinoid modulation of perivascular sympathetic and sensory neurotransmission. Curr Vasc Pharmacol. 2009;7:15-25 pubmed..The diverse prejunctional effects of cannabinoids may be novel targets for therapies designed to treat vascular disease. ..
- Ghosh T, Song F, Packham E, Buxton S, Robinson T, Ronksley J, et al. Physical interaction between TBX5 and MEF2C is required for early heart development. Mol Cell Biol. 2009;29:2205-18 pubmed publisher..This is the first report of a functional interaction between a T-box protein and a MADS box factor that may be crucial in cardiomyocyte differentiation. ..
- Bath P, Gray L, Bath A, Buchan A, Miyata T, Green A. Effects of NXY-059 in experimental stroke: an individual animal meta-analysis. Br J Pharmacol. 2009;157:1157-71 pubmed publisher..Efficacy in young, healthy, male animals is a poor predictor of clinical outcome. We suggest the use of preclinical meta-analysis before initiation of future clinical trials. ..
- Pardon M. Role of neurotrophic factors in behavioral processes: implications for the treatment of psychiatric and neurodegenerative disorders. Vitam Horm. 2010;82:185-200 pubmed publisher..Compounds mimicking BDNF signaling, however, are unlikely to be used in a clinical context, given their adverse side effects and pharmacokinetic limitations. ..
- Shih Y, Kuo C, Hirst C, Dee C, Liu Y, Laghari Z, et al. SoxB1 transcription factors restrict organizer gene expression by repressing multiple events downstream of Wnt signalling. Development. 2010;137:2671-81 pubmed publisher..It therefore seems that the broad expression of these SoxB1 genes throughout the early epiblast and their subsequent restriction to the ectoderm is a primary regulator of when and where the organizer forms. ..
- Sagar D, Staniaszek L, Okine B, Woodhams S, Norris L, Pearson R, et al. Tonic modulation of spinal hyperexcitability by the endocannabinoid receptor system in a rat model of osteoarthritis pain. Arthritis Rheum. 2010;62:3666-76 pubmed publisher..To investigate the impact of an experimental model of osteoarthritis (OA) on spinal nociceptive processing and the role of the inhibitory endocannabinoid system in regulating sensory processing at the spinal level...
- Johnson A, Richardson E, Bachvarova R, Crother B. Evolution of the germ line-soma relationship in vertebrate embryos. Reproduction. 2011;141:291-300 pubmed publisher..We also present the correlation of preformation with enhanced species radiations, and we discuss the mutually exclusive trajectories influenced by germ plasm or pluripotency, which shaped chordate evolution. ..
- Falcone F, Knol E, Gibbs B. The role of basophils in the pathogenesis of allergic disease. Clin Exp Allergy. 2011;41:939-47 pubmed publisher..This review highlights the recent advances in understanding the role of this rather enigmatic cell in allergy...
- Martinez Pomares L, Gordon S. CD169+ macrophages at the crossroads of antigen presentation. Trends Immunol. 2012;33:66-70 pubmed publisher..Understanding the role of CD169(+) macrophages in the activation of acquired immunity could benefit the design of vaccination strategies, for example those aimed at eliciting cytotoxic T cells. ..
- Jabbal Gill I, Watts P, Smith A. Chitosan-based delivery systems for mucosal vaccines. Expert Opin Drug Deliv. 2012;9:1051-67 pubmed publisher..By contrast, chitosan (unmodified form) with or without a co-adjuvant has significant toxicology and human data to support safe mucosal administration, and thus has the potential for earlier product introduction into the market. ..
- Hdud I, Mobasheri A, Loughna P. Effect of osmotic stress on the expression of TRPV4 and BKCa channels and possible interaction with ERK1/2 and p38 in cultured equine chondrocytes. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2014;306:C1050-7 pubmed publisher..001). ..
- Jackson J, Turner J, Kamal M, Wright V, Bickle Q, Else K, et al. Gastrointestinal nematode infection is associated with variation in innate immune responsiveness. Microbes Infect. 2006;8:487-92 pubmed..These results are consistent with the possibility that GI nematodes modulate innate responses and may indicate a potential mechanism for interactions between GI nematodiasis and important bystander pathogens...
- Gardiner S, March J, Kemp P, Bennett T. A comparison between the cardiovascular actions of urocortin 1 and urocortin 2 (stresscopin-related peptide) in conscious rats. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2007;321:221-6 pubmed..There is no evidence for an involvement of CRF1 receptor-mediated histamine release in the vasodilator actions of UCN1, but a propranolol-sensitive hindquarters vasodilator action of UCN, but not of SRP, was identified. ..
- Majerus T, Majerus M. Intergenomic arms races: detection of a nuclear rescue gene of male-killing in a ladybird. PLoS Pathog. 2010;6:e1000987 pubmed publisher..They are considered in regard to sex ratio and intra-genomic conflict theories, and models of the evolutionary dynamics and distribution of inherited symbionts. ..
- Rao W, Scurr D, Burston J, Alexander M, Barrett D. Use of imaging multivariate analysis to improve biochemical and anatomical discrimination in desorption electrospray ionisation mass spectrometry imaging. Analyst. 2012;137:3946-53 pubmed publisher..We propose the routine use of this technique for future DESI imaging experiments. ..
- Storr S, Woolston C, Zhang Y, Martin S. Redox environment, free radical, and oxidative DNA damage. Antioxid Redox Signal. 2013;18:2399-408 pubmed publisher..We also describe how DNA pathways can be modulated by the redox environment and how the redox environment and oxidative DNA damage plays a role in disease. ..
- Daniels I, Hemming F. Changes in murine tissue concentrations of dolichol and dolichol derivatives associated with age. Lipids. 1990;25:586-93 pubmed..These observations suggest that not all accumulated dolichol is associated with lipofuscin. Meclofenoxate treatment had no consistent effect on the activities of the enzymes studied...
- Cheetham S, Heal D. Evidence that RU 24969-induced locomotor activity in C57/B1/6 mice is specifically mediated by the 5-HT1B receptor. Br J Pharmacol. 1993;110:1621-9 pubmed..RU 24969 did not alter dopamine, dihydroxyphenylacetic acid or homovanillic acid concentrations in the nucleus accumbens suggesting that the dopaminergic neurones terminating there are not directly involved...