Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on animals in London, England, United Kingdom
Locale: London, England, United Kingdom
Publications542 found, 100 shown here
- McFadden N, Bailey D, Carrara G, Benson A, Chaudhry Y, Shortland A, et al. Norovirus regulation of the innate immune response and apoptosis occurs via the product of the alternative open reading frame 4. PLoS Pathog. 2011;7:e1002413 pubmed publisher..The immune regulatory function of the MNV VF1 protein provide important perspectives for future research into norovirus biology and pathogenesis. ..
- Ackerman D, Gems D. Insulin/IGF-1 and hypoxia signaling act in concert to regulate iron homeostasis in Caenorhabditis elegans. PLoS Genet. 2012;8:e1002498 pubmed publisher..elegans. We suggest that IIS/DAF-16 regulation of ftn-1 modulates a trade-off between growth and stress resistance, as elevated iron availability supports growth but also increases ROS production. ..
- Behjousiar A, Kontoravdi C, Polizzi K. In situ monitoring of intracellular glucose and glutamine in CHO cell culture. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e34512 pubmed publisher..The ability to monitor intracellular depletion of essential nutrients in high throughput will allow rapid development of improved bioprocesses. ..
- Pettitt S, Rehman F, Bajrami I, Brough R, Wallberg F, Kozarewa I, et al. A genetic screen using the PiggyBac transposon in haploid cells identifies Parp1 as a mediator of olaparib toxicity. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e61520 pubmed publisher..The screening protocol described has several advantages over other methods such as RNA interference: it is rapid and low cost, and mutations can be easily reverted to establish causality. ..
- Hoh Kam J, Lenassi E, Malik T, Pickering M, Jeffery G. Complement component C3 plays a critical role in protecting the aging retina in a murine model of age-related macular degeneration. Am J Pathol. 2013;183:480-92 pubmed publisher..Our data show that both uncontrolled C3 activation (CFH(-/-)) and complete absence of C3 (CFH(-/-).C3(-/-) and C3(-/-)) negatively affect aged retinas. These findings suggest that strategies that inhibit C3 in AMD may be deleterious. ..
- Saglani S, Lui S, Ullmann N, Campbell G, Sherburn R, Mathie S, et al. IL-33 promotes airway remodeling in pediatric patients with severe steroid-resistant asthma. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2013;132:676-685.e13 pubmed publisher..IL-33 is a relatively steroid-resistant mediator that promotes airway remodeling in patients with STRA and is an important therapeutic target. ..
- Klein K, Veazey R, Warrier R, Hraber P, Doyle Meyers L, Buffa V, et al. Neutralizing IgG at the portal of infection mediates protection against vaginal simian/human immunodeficiency virus challenge. J Virol. 2013;87:11604-16 pubmed publisher..Data presented in this study may be important in modeling serum levels of neutralizing antibodies that need to be achieved by either vaccination or passive infusion to prevent mucosal acquisition of HIV-1 infection in humans. ..
- Robbins J, Passmore G, Abogadie F, Reilly J, Brown D. Effects of KCNQ2 gene truncation on M-type Kv7 potassium currents. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e71809 pubmed publisher..2 subunits for functionality, that the reduced M-channel activity in heterozygote KCNQ2+/- mouse embryos results primarily from a gene-dosage effect, and that there is a compensatory increase in Kv7.2 expression in adult mice. ..
- Salles Crawley I, Monkman J, Ahnström J, Lane D, Crawley J. Vessel wall BAMBI contributes to hemostasis and thrombus stability. Blood. 2014;123:2873-81 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results provide strong evidence for an important role of endothelium rather than platelet BAMBI as a positive regulator of both thrombus formation and stability. ..
- Ashraf T, Collinson M, Fairhurst J, Wang R, Wilson L, Foulds N. Two further patients with the 1q24 deletion syndrome expand the phenotype: A possible role for the miR199-214 cluster in the skeletal features of the condition. Am J Med Genet A. 2015;167A:3153-60 pubmed publisher..The deletion in the second patient spans the previously reported critical region and indicates that the cognitive impairment may not always be as severe as previous reports suggest. ..
- Rainey S, Martinez J, McFarlane M, Juneja P, Sarkies P, Lulla A, et al. Wolbachia Blocks Viral Genome Replication Early in Infection without a Transcriptional Response by the Endosymbiont or Host Small RNA Pathways. PLoS Pathog. 2016;12:e1005536 pubmed publisher..We conclude that Wolbachia may directly interfere with early events in virus replication such as translation of incoming viral RNA or RNA transcription, and this likely involves an intrinsic (as opposed to an induced) mechanism. ..
- Munye M, Diaz Font A, Ocaka L, Henriksen M, Lees M, Brady A, et al. COLEC10 is mutated in 3MC patients and regulates early craniofacial development. PLoS Genet. 2017;13:e1006679 pubmed publisher..Together, these findings provide further evidence linking the lectin complement pathway and complement factors COLEC11 and COLEC10 to morphogenesis of craniofacial structures and 3MC etiology. ..
- Kannan Y, Entwistle L, Pelly V, Perez Lloret J, Walker A, Ley S, et al. TPL-2 restricts Ccl24-dependent immunity to Heligmosomoides polygyrus. PLoS Pathog. 2017;13:e1006536 pubmed publisher..polygyrus. Collectively, this study identifies a previously unappreciated role for TPL-2 controlling immune responses to H. polygyrus infection by restricting Ccl24 production. ..
- Wylie T, Garg R, Ridley A, Conte M. Analysis of the interaction of Plexin-B1 and Plexin-B2 with Rnd family proteins. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0185899 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that Rnd proteins do not have a clear-cut specificity for different Plexin-B-RBDs, possibly implying the contribution of additional regions of Plexin-B proteins in conferring functional substrate selection. ..
- Teixeira F, Punjabi S, Dadzie O, Charakida E, Chu A. The hazards of horse riding. Aust Fam Physician. 2005;34:369-70 pubmed
- Clark F, Melfi V. Environmental enrichment for a mixed-species nocturnal mammal exhibit. Zoo Biol. 2012;31:397-413 pubmed publisher..We suggest that both food and sensory EE presented concurrently will maximize opportunities for naturalistic activity in all species...
- Babb R, Homer K, Robbins J, Lax A. Modification of heterotrimeric G-proteins in Swiss 3T3 cells stimulated with Pasteurella multocida toxin. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e47188 pubmed publisher..G(s) was not affected by PMT treatment. Prolonged treatment with PMT led to a reduction in membrane-associated G?(i), but not G?(q). We also show that PMT inhibits the GTPase activity of G(q)...
- Foster P, Bergo E, Bourke B, Oliveira T, Nagaki S, Sant Ana D, et al. Phylogenetic analysis and DNA-based species confirmation in Anopheles (Nyssorhynchus). PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e54063 pubmed publisher..dunhami be included in the Nuneztovari Complex. We obtained phylogenetic corroboration for new species which had been recognised by morphological differences; these will need to be formally described and named...
- Oldknow K, Seebacher J, Goswami T, Villen J, Pitsillides A, O Shaughnessy P, et al. Follistatin-like 3 (FSTL3) mediated silencing of transforming growth factor ? (TGF?) signaling is essential for testicular aging and regulating testis size. Endocrinology. 2013;154:1310-20 pubmed publisher..The findings identify crucial roles for FSTL3 in limiting testis organ size and promoting age-related testicular regression...
- Nasir J, Fisher E, Brockdorff N, Disteche C, Lyon M, Brown S. Unusual molecular characteristics of a repeat sequence island within a Giemsa-positive band on the mouse X chromosome. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1990;87:399-403 pubmed..First, the repeat sequence island encompasses a 1-megabase region devoid of CpG islands; second, it features a high concentration of L1 long interspersed repeat sequences. ..
- Yiangou Y, Burnet P, Nikou G, Chrysanthou B, Bloom S. Purification and characterisation of cerebellins from human and porcine cerebellum. J Neurochem. 1989;53:886-9 pubmed..The finding that the sequences of human and porcine cerebellin are identical to that of the rat suggests that strong evolutionary pressure has acted to conserve this sequence. ..
- Martin P, Dickson M, Millan F, Akhurst R. Rapid induction and clearance of TGF beta 1 is an early response to wounding in the mouse embryo. Dev Genet. 1993;14:225-38 pubmed..These data are discussed in terms of the molecular mechanisms underlying embryonic wound healing and the significance of the results to an understanding of scarring following adult tissue repair. ..
- Nunes J, Truneh A, Olive D, Cantrell D. Signal transduction by CD28 costimulatory receptor on T cells. B7-1 and B7-2 regulation of tyrosine kinase adaptor molecules. J Biol Chem. 1996;271:1591-8 pubmed..The data show also that the TCR and CD28 couple to different adapter proteins, which could explain the divergence of TCR and CD28 signal transduction pathways during T cell activation. ..
- Marshall H, Morrison A, Studer M, Popperl H, Krumlauf R. Retinoids and Hox genes. FASEB J. 1996;10:969-78 pubmed..These types of studies strongly support the normal roles of retinoids in patterning vertebrate embryogenesis through the Hox genes. ..
- Gilley J, Fried M. Evolution of U24 and U36 snoRNAs encoded within introns of vertebrate rpL7a gene homologs: unique features of mammalian U36 variants. DNA Cell Biol. 1998;17:591-602 pubmed..Finally, the Saccharomyces cerevisiae small nuclear RNA, snR47, is shown to be homologous to the vertebrate U36 snoRNA. ..
- Berry M, Gonzalez A, Clarke W, Greenlees L, Barrett L, Tsang W, et al. Sustained effects of gene-activated matrices after CNS injury. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2001;17:706-16 pubmed..Whether further optimization of the matrices, plasmids, promoters, and genes present in the GAM will promote even more survival or, alternatively, axon regeneration remains to be determined. ..
- Kaba R, Coppen S, Dupont E, Skepper J, Elneil S, Haw M, et al. Comparison of connexin 43, 40 and 45 expression patterns in the developing human and mouse hearts. Cell Commun Adhes. 2001;8:339-43 pubmed..In general, these dynamic changes of connexins 43, 40 and 45 during mouse cardiac development appear to be mirrored in the human. ..
- Millrain M, Scott D, Addey C, Dewchand H, Ellis P, Ehrmann I, et al. Identification of the immunodominant HY H2-D(k) epitope and evaluation of the role of direct and indirect antigen presentation in HY responses. J Immunol. 2005;175:7209-17 pubmed
- Seppala M, Depew M, Martinelli D, Fan C, Sharpe P, Cobourne M. Gas1 is a modifier for holoprosencephaly and genetically interacts with sonic hedgehog. J Clin Invest. 2007;117:1575-84 pubmed..As human GAS1 maps to chromosome 9q21.3-q22, a region previously associated with nonsyndromic cleft palate and congenital deafness, our results establish GAS1 as a potential locus for several human craniofacial malformations. ..
- Claxton S, Kostourou V, Jadeja S, Chambon P, Hodivala Dilke K, Fruttiger M. Efficient, inducible Cre-recombinase activation in vascular endothelium. Genesis. 2008;46:74-80 pubmed publisher..Thus, Pdgfb-iCreER mice are a valuable research tool to manipulate endothelial cells in postnatal mice and study tumor angiogenesis. ..
- French M, Churcher T, Gambhir M, Fenwick A, Webster J, Kabatereine N, et al. Observed reductions in Schistosoma mansoni transmission from large-scale administration of praziquantel in Uganda: a mathematical modelling study. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2010;4:e897 pubmed publisher..The results obtained will have implications for evaluating the cost-effectiveness of schistosomiasis control programmes and the design of monitoring and evaluation approaches in general. ..
- Poliandri A, Gamsby J, Christian M, Spinella M, Loros J, Dunlap J, et al. Modulation of clock gene expression by the transcriptional coregulator receptor interacting protein 140 (RIP140). J Biol Rhythms. 2011;26:187-99 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that RIP140 is not only involved in metabolic control but also acts as a coactivator for ROR?, influencing clock gene expression. ..
- Goodfellow I. The genome-linked protein VPg of vertebrate viruses - a multifaceted protein. Curr Opin Virol. 2011;1:355-62 pubmed publisher..This article provides an overview of the current knowledge of the functions of vertebrate RNA virus VPg proteins, illustrating their diverse function and the parallels they share with plant virus VPg proteins. ..
- Bishop M, Burton R, Kalla M, Nanthakumar K, Plank G, Bub G, et al. Mechanism of reentry induction by a 9-V battery in rabbit ventricles. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2014;306:H1041-53 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, the application of a 9-V battery to the epicardial surface induces reentry through a complex interaction of break excitations after battery release with prior induced make excitations or sinus beats. ..
- Zwart W, Flach K, Rudraraju B, Abdel Fatah T, Gojis O, Canisius S, et al. SRC3 Phosphorylation at Serine 543 Is a Positive Independent Prognostic Factor in ER-Positive Breast Cancer. Clin Cancer Res. 2016;22:479-91 pubmed publisher..SRC3-pS543 is a prognostic marker, and a predictive marker of response to endocrine therapy. ..
- Burrows N, Cane G, Robson M, Gaude E, Howat W, Szlosarek P, et al. Hypoxia-induced nitric oxide production and tumour perfusion is inhibited by pegylated arginine deiminase (ADI-PEG20). Sci Rep. 2016;6:22950 pubmed publisher..Thus, ADI-PEG20 may be useful in the clinic to target therapy-resistant hypoxic cells in ASS1-proficient tumours and ASS1-deficient tumours. ..
- Hill N, Murphy K, Saeed S, Phadke R, Chambers D, Wilson D, et al. Impact of ghrelin on body composition and muscle function in a long-term rodent model of critical illness. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0182659 pubmed publisher..Further studies with pulsatile ghrelin delivery or additional anabolic stimuli may further clarify the utility of ghrelin in survivors of critical illness. ..
- Philpott K, Viney J, Kay G, Rastan S, Gardiner E, Chae S, et al. Lymphoid development in mice congenitally lacking T cell receptor alpha beta-expressing cells. Science. 1992;256:1448-52 pubmed..The homozygotes showed elimination of alpha beta + T cells and the loss of thymic medullae. Despite this, gamma delta + T cells developed in normal numbers, and there was an increase in splenic B cells. ..
- Churchill T, Green C, Fuller B. The importance of calcium-related effects on energetics at hypothermia: effects of membrane-channel antagonists on energy metabolism of rat liver. Cryobiology. 1995;32:477-86 pubmed..5 mg/kg ethanol+PEG400) resulted in the sustained elevation of ATP, total adenylates, and EC values over the first h; EC ratios remained at initial (t = 0) values (EC = 0.71 +/- 0.01) up to 1 h...
- Blackman M, Dennis E, Hirst E, Kocken C, Scott Finnigan T, Thomas A. Plasmodium knowlesi: secondary processing of the malaria merozoite surface protein-1. Exp Parasitol. 1996;83:229-39 pubmed..Successful invasion is therefore associated with complete shedding of MSP-1(33) from the merozoite surface. The nucleotide sequence of the 3' domain of the P. knowlesi MSP-1 gene is also presented. ..
- Vonend O, Turner C, Chan C, Loesch A, Dell Anna G, Srai K, et al. Glomerular expression of the ATP-sensitive P2X receptor in diabetic and hypertensive rat models. Kidney Int. 2004;66:157-66 pubmed
- Strang B, Takeuchi Y, Relander T, Richter J, Bailey R, Sanders D, et al. Human immunodeficiency virus type 1 vectors with alphavirus envelope glycoproteins produced from stable packaging cells. J Virol. 2005;79:1765-71 pubmed
- Miyazaki D, Nakamura T, Toda M, Cheung Chau K, Richardson R, Ono S. Macrophage inflammatory protein-1alpha as a costimulatory signal for mast cell-mediated immediate hypersensitivity reactions. J Clin Invest. 2005;115:434-42 pubmed..Antagonizing the interaction of MIP-1alpha with its receptor CC chemokine receptor 1 (CCR1) or signal transduction from CCR1 may therefore prove to be effective as an antiinflammatory therapy on the ocular surface. ..
- Navaratnam N, Sarwar R. An overview of cytidine deaminases. Int J Hematol. 2006;83:195-200 pubmed..Recent advances in the understanding of the mechanism of action of this family are summarized in this review. ..
- Nilsen K, Kelso A, Cock H. Antiepileptic effect of gap-junction blockers in a rat model of refractory focal cortical epilepsy. Epilepsia. 2006;47:1169-75 pubmed..Gap-junction blockers applied focally are effective at suppressing seizures and, as such, represent a potential new treatment for epilepsy. Development of focal treatment strategies is essential in this regard. ..
- Clerk A, Kemp T, Zoumpoulidou G, Sugden P. Cardiac myocyte gene expression profiling during H2O2-induced apoptosis. Physiol Genomics. 2007;29:118-27 pubmed..Thus, H2O2-induced cardiac myocyte apoptosis is associated with dynamic changes in gene expression. The expression of these genes and their protein products potentially influences the progression of the apoptotic response. ..
- Staudt N, Houart C. The prethalamus is established during gastrulation and influences diencephalic regionalization. PLoS Biol. 2007;5:e69 pubmed..This cell-non-autonomous property led us to propose that these committed prethalamic precursors may play an instructive role in the regionalization of the developing diencephalon. ..
- Wilson M, Goddard M, O Dea K, Choudhury S, Takata M. Differential roles of p55 and p75 tumor necrosis factor receptors on stretch-induced pulmonary edema in mice. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2007;293:L60-8 pubmed
- Wu D, Huang W, Richardson P, Priestley J, Liu M. TRPC4 in rat dorsal root ganglion neurons is increased after nerve injury and is necessary for neurite outgrowth. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:416-26 pubmed..The reduction in neurite lengths in ND7/23 cells was rescued by overexpression of human TRPC4. Our results suggest that TRPC4 contributes to axonal regeneration after nerve injury. ..
- Reynolds L, Conti F, Silva R, Robinson S, Iyer V, Rudling R, et al. alpha3beta1 integrin-controlled Smad7 regulates reepithelialization during wound healing in mice. J Clin Invest. 2008;118:965-74 pubmed publisher..Moreover, our study may identify a previously undocumented function for Smad7 as a regulator of reepithelialization in vivo and implicates Smad7 as a potential novel target for the treatment of cutaneous wounds. ..
- Cerovic V, Jenkins C, Barnes A, Milling S, Macpherson G, Klavinskis L. Hyporesponsiveness of intestinal dendritic cells to TLR stimulation is limited to TLR4. J Immunol. 2009;182:2405-15 pubmed publisher..As iLDCs can respond to TLR stimulation in vitro, there must be other mechanisms that prevent their activation by commensal bacteria under steady-state conditions. ..
- Cibelli M, Fidalgo A, Terrando N, Ma D, Monaco C, Feldmann M, et al. Role of interleukin-1beta in postoperative cognitive dysfunction. Ann Neurol. 2010;68:360-8 pubmed publisher..This may represent a viable target to interrupt the pathogenesis of postoperative cognitive dysfunction. ..
- Rudyk O, Makra P, Jansen E, Shattock M, Poston L, Taylor P. Increased cardiovascular reactivity to acute stress and salt-loading in adult male offspring of fat fed non-obese rats. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e25250 pubmed publisher..Fat feeding in the absence of maternal obesity in pregnant rats leads to altered sympathetic control of cardiovascular function in adult male offspring, and hypertension in response to stressor stimuli. ..
- Lyon A, Nikolaev V, Miragoli M, Sikkel M, Paur H, Benard L, et al. Plasticity of surface structures and ?(2)-adrenergic receptor localization in failing ventricular cardiomyocytes during recovery from heart failure. Circ Heart Fail. 2012;5:357-65 pubmed publisher..Recovery of surface topology is necessary for normalization of ?(2)AR location and signaling responses. ..
- Boldrin L, Neal A, Zammit P, Muntoni F, Morgan J. Donor satellite cell engraftment is significantly augmented when the host niche is preserved and endogenous satellite cells are incapacitated. Stem Cells. 2012;30:1971-84 pubmed publisher..Thus preservation of the satellite cell niche, concomitant with functional impairment of the majority of satellite cells within dystrophic human muscles, may improve the efficiency of stem cell therapy. ..
- Alshaker H, Sauer L, Monteil D, Ottaviani S, Srivats S, Bohler T, et al. Therapeutic potential of targeting SK1 in human cancers. Adv Cancer Res. 2013;117:143-200 pubmed publisher..This review provides an overview of the SK1 signaling, its relevance to cancer progression, and the potential clinical significance of targeting SK1 for improved local or systemic control of human cancers. ..
- Chang K, Li M. Clonal isolation of an intermediate pluripotent stem cell state. Stem Cells. 2013;31:918-27 pubmed publisher..Our finding provides a new model to better understand the multiple pluripotent states. ..
- Buttigieg K, Laidlaw S, Ross C, Davies M, Goodbourn S, Skinner M. Genetic screen of a library of chimeric poxviruses identifies an ankyrin repeat protein involved in resistance to the avian type I interferon response. J Virol. 2013;87:5028-40 pubmed publisher..Therefore, unlike the related protein fpv012, fpv014 does not contribute to the FWPV block to induction of ChIFN2 but does confer resistance to an established antiviral state. ..
- Chen Hussey V, Carneiro I, Keomanila H, Gray R, Bannavong S, Phanalasy S, et al. Can topical insect repellents reduce malaria? A cluster-randomised controlled trial of the insect repellent N,N-diethyl-m-toluamide (DEET) in Lao PDR. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e70664 pubmed publisher..Topical insect repellents may be able to protect users from outdoor biting, thereby providing additional protection above the current best practice of LLINs...
- Crowe J, Aubareda A, McNamee K, Przybycien P, Lu X, Williams R, et al. Heat shock protein B1-deficient mice display impaired wound healing. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e77383 pubmed publisher..This appears to be a general mechanism as similar results were obtained in the air-pouch and peritonitis models of acute inflammation. ..
- Reina Torres E, Wen J, Liu K, Li G, Sherwood J, Chang J, et al. VEGF as a Paracrine Regulator of Conventional Outflow Facility. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2017;58:1899-1908 pubmed publisher..VEGF affects facility via VEGFR-2 likely at the level of SC endothelium. Disruption of VEGF signaling in the TM may explain why anti-VEGF therapy is associated with decreased outflow facility and sustained ocular hypertension. ..
- Brady G, Haas D, Farrell P, Pichlmair A, Bowie A. Molluscum Contagiosum Virus Protein MC005 Inhibits NF-ÎºB Activation by Targeting NEMO-Regulated IÎºB Kinase Activation. J Virol. 2017;91: pubmed publisher..Further, identification of the mechanism of inhibition of NF-ÎºB by MC005 confirms current models of the complex way in which NF-ÎºB is regulated and greatly expands our understanding of how MCV so effectively evades human immunity. ..
- Sekiya K, Ghatei M, Minamino N, Bretherton Watt D, Matsuo H, Bloom S. Isolation of human pancreastatin fragment containing the active sequence from a glucagonoma. FEBS Lett. 1988;228:153-6 pubmed..Several forms of pancreastatin-like immunoreactivity were found in human endocrine tumors of which the purified peptide was the smallest and contained the active sequence of pancreastatin...
- Van Lint J, Sinnett Smith J, Rozengurt E. Expression and characterization of PKD, a phorbol ester and diacylglycerol-stimulated serine protein kinase. J Biol Chem. 1995;270:1455-61 pubmed..Taken together, these data unambiguously establish PKD as a phorbol ester receptor and as a novel phospholipid/diacylglycerol-stimulated protein kinase. ..
- Skehel J, Wiley D. Coiled coils in both intracellular vesicle and viral membrane fusion. Cell. 1998;95:871-4 pubmed
- Harrison S, Houzelstein D, Dunwoodie S, Beddington R. Sp5, a new member of the Sp1 family, is dynamically expressed during development and genetically interacts with Brachyury. Dev Biol. 2000;227:358-72 pubmed..These observations are consistent with a role for Sp5 in the coordination of changes in transcription required to generate pattern in the developing embryo. ..
- Walker S, Pizzato M, Takeuchi Y, Devereux S. Heparin binds to murine leukemia virus and inhibits Env-independent attachment and infection. J Virol. 2002;76:6909-18 pubmed..Although the molecular mechanism is unclear, this study presents evidence that Env receptor-independent attachment is an important step in MLV infection. ..
- Small C, Stanley S, Bloom S. Appetite control and reproduction: leptin and beyond. Semin Reprod Med. 2002;20:389-98 pubmed..Notable new discoveries in this area include the gastric hormone ghrelin. Circulating ghrelin stimulates food intake in rodents and humans, although an influence on the reproductive axis is yet to be reported. ..
- Rodrigues L, Howe F, Griffiths J, Robinson S. Tumor R2* is a prognostic indicator of acute radiotherapeutic response in rodent tumors. J Magn Reson Imaging. 2004;19:482-8 pubmed
- Ekonomou A, Kazanis I, Malas S, Wood H, Alifragis P, Denaxa M, et al. Neuronal migration and ventral subtype identity in the telencephalon depend on SOX1. PLoS Biol. 2005;3:e186 pubmed..Our data also suggest that other SOXB1 members showing expression in specific neuronal populations are likely to play continuous roles from the establishment of precursors to their final differentiation. ..
- Spencer Dene B, Sala F, Bellusci S, Gschmeissner S, Stamp G, Dickson C. Stomach development is dependent on fibroblast growth factor 10/fibroblast growth factor receptor 2b-mediated signaling. Gastroenterology. 2006;130:1233-44 pubmed..Fgfr2b and Fgf10 are part of a signaling network with Sonic hedgehog and Indian hedgehog that are essential to anterior-posterior and radial patterning in gastric development. ..
- Hume S, Lingford Hughes A, Nataf V, Hirani E, Ahmad R, Davies A, et al. Low sensitivity of the positron emission tomography ligand [11C]diprenorphine to agonist opiates. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2007;322:661-7 pubmed..Alternative means may be needed to address clinical issues regarding opioid receptor occupancy that are required to optimize treatment strategies. ..
- Harry L, Sandison A, Paleolog E, Hansen U, Pearse M, Nanchahal J. Comparison of the healing of open tibial fractures covered with either muscle or fasciocutaneous tissue in a murine model. J Orthop Res. 2008;26:1238-44 pubmed publisher..05 by one-way ANOVA). Exclusive comparison of muscle and fasciocutaneous tissue in our novel murine model demonstrates that muscle is superior for the coverage of open tibial fractures for both the rate and quality of fracture healing...
- Johansson S, Price J, Modo M. Effect of inflammatory cytokines on major histocompatibility complex expression and differentiation of human neural stem/progenitor cells. Stem Cells. 2008;26:2444-54 pubmed publisher..Disclosure of potential conflicts of interest is found at the end of this article. ..
- Ali S, Heathcote D, Kroll S, Jogalekar A, Scheiper B, Patel H, et al. The development of a selective cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitor that shows antitumor activity. Cancer Res. 2009;69:6208-15 pubmed publisher..p. administration of 10 mg/kg. The same dose of drug inhibited the growth of MCF-7 human xenografts in nude mice. BS-181 therefore provides the first example of a potent and selective CDK7 inhibitor with potential as an anticancer agent. ..
- Choke E, Cockerill G, Dawson J, Howe F, Wilson W, Loftus I, et al. Vascular endothelial growth factor enhances angiotensin II-induced aneurysm formation in apolipoprotein E-deficient mice. J Vasc Surg. 2010;52:159-166.e1 pubmed publisher..0009). Treatment with rhVEGF intensified the formation of AngII-induced aneurysms. Further studies are needed to investigate if antiangiogenic therapy may be a valid medical therapy against aneurysm expansion or rupture. ..
- Yadirgi G, Leinster V, Acquati S, Bhagat H, Shakhova O, Marino S. Conditional activation of Bmi1 expression regulates self-renewal, apoptosis, and differentiation of neural stem/progenitor cells in vitro and in vivo. Stem Cells. 2011;29:700-12 pubmed publisher..These studies provide strong evidence that fine tuning of Bmi1 expression is a viable tool to increase self-renewal capacity of NSCs both in vitro and in vivo without eliciting neoplastic transformation of these cells. ..
- Le Bert N, Chain B, Rook G, Noursadeghi M. DC priming by M. vaccae inhibits Th2 responses in contrast to specific TLR2 priming and is associated with selective activation of the CREB pathway. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e18346 pubmed publisher..vaccae. Further study of the CREB pathway may provide novel insight into the molecular mechanisms of DC-dependent T cell polarization. ..
- Lachmann S, Jevons A, De Rycker M, Casamassima A, Radtke S, Collazos A, et al. Regulatory domain selectivity in the cell-type specific PKN-dependence of cell migration. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e21732 pubmed publisher..It is concluded that intervention in PKNs may need to be directed at multiple isoforms to be effective in different cell types. ..
- Mora J, Fenwick M, Castle L, Baithun M, Ryder T, Mobberley M, et al. Characterization and significance of adhesion and junction-related proteins in mouse ovarian follicles. Biol Reprod. 2012;86:153, 1-14 pubmed publisher..Lack of classic markers suggests that GCs are not epithelial. Identification of AJs during GC cuboidalization highlights the importance of AJs in regulating initiation of follicle growth. ..
- Roberts K, Shelton H, Stilwell P, Barclay W. Transmission of a 2009 H1N1 pandemic influenza virus occurs before fever is detected, in the ferret model. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e43303 pubmed publisher..These data have important implications for pandemic planning strategies and suggest that successful containment is highly unlikely for a human-adapted influenza virus that transmits efficiently within a population...
- Sancho R, Blake S, Tendeng C, Clurman B, Lewis J, Behrens A. Fbw7 repression by hes5 creates a feedback loop that modulates Notch-mediated intestinal and neural stem cell fate decisions. PLoS Biol. 2013;11:e1001586 pubmed publisher..Thus repression of Fbw7? transcription by Notch signalling is an essential mechanism that is coupled to and required for the correct specification of cell fates induced by lateral inhibition. ..
- Duellberg C, Cade N, Holmes D, Surrey T. The size of the EB cap determines instantaneous microtubule stability. elife. 2016;5: pubmed publisher..Our study establishes the spatial and kinetic characteristics of the protective cap and provides an insight into the molecular mechanism by which its loss leads to the switch from microtubule growth to shrinkage. ..
- Pam D, de Souza D, D Souza S, Opoku M, Sanda S, Nazaradden I, et al. Is mass drug administration against lymphatic filariasis required in urban settings? The experience in Kano, Nigeria. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2017;11:e0006004 pubmed publisher..In order to plan the LF control activities, this study was undertaken to confirm the LF infection prevalence in the human and mosquito populations in three urban LGAs...
- Martinez Barbera J, Beddington R. Getting your head around Hex and Hesx1: forebrain formation in mouse. Int J Dev Biol. 2001;45:327-36 pubmed..We suggest that disturbance in the specification of an Fgf8 signalling centre in the anterior neural ridge may account for the anterior defects observed in these mutants. ..
- Fisher I. Dramatic shift in the epidemiology of Salmonella enterica serotype Enteritidis phage types in western Europe, 1998-2003--results from the Enter-net international salmonella database. Euro Surveill. 2004;9:43-5 pubmed..1% (8794 cases) with other strains increasing, both in proportion and numbers. This paper identifies the emerging strains that are becoming more relevant in public health terms...