Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on adolescent in Southampton, England, United Kingdom
Locale: Southampton, England, United Kingdom
Publications144 found, 100 shown here
- Kersten P, Ashburn A, George S, Low J. The subjective index for physical and social outcome (SIPSO) in stroke: investigation of its subscale structure. BMC Neurol. 2010;10:26 pubmed publisher..Further work is required to explore the occurrence of bias by gender for some of the items. ..
- Burke G, Hiscock A, Klein A, Niks E, Main M, Manzur A, et al. Salbutamol benefits children with congenital myasthenic syndrome due to DOK7 mutations. Neuromuscul Disord. 2013;23:170-5 pubmed publisher..Outcome measures need to be refined further, both to accurately reflect functional abilities in children and to document progress and treatment response. ..
- Arden Close E, Teasdale E, Tonkin Crine S, Pitre N, Stafford Watson M, Gibson D, et al. Patients' perceptions of the potential of breathing training for asthma: a qualitative study. Prim Care Respir J. 2013;22:449-53 pubmed publisher..To enhance uptake, it might be helpful to present breathing training exercises as holistic skills that can also benefit those with mild symptoms. ..
- Werner C, Lablans M, Ataian M, Raidt J, Wallmeier J, GroÃŸe Onnebrink J, et al. An international registry for primary ciliary dyskinesia. Eur Respir J. 2016;47:849-59 pubmed publisher..98-0.22).Here, we present the development of an international PCD registry as a new promising tool to advance the understanding of this rare disorder, to recruit candidates for research studies and ultimately to improve PCD care. ..
- Sheikh A, Tang A, Roman K, Baig K, Mehta R, Morgan J, et al. The failing Fontan circulation: successful conversion of atriopulmonary connections. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2004;128:60-6 pubmed..Fontan conversion can be achieved with low mortality and improvement in New York Heart Association class and exercise ability. Concomitant arrhythmia surgery reduces the incidence of late arrhythmias. ..
- Dennison E, Cole Z, Cooper C. Diagnosis and epidemiology of osteoporosis. Curr Opin Rheumatol. 2005;17:456-61 pubmed
- Davies J, Damani P, Margetts B. Intervening to change the diets of low-income women. Proc Nutr Soc. 2009;68:210-5 pubmed publisher..This model has the potential for achieving sustained behaviour change and is able to engage key target groups that can often be difficult to reach through more traditional routes. ..
- Blythe H, Liversedge S, Findlay J. The effective fusional range for words in a natural viewing situation. Vision Res. 2010;50:1559-70 pubmed publisher..The data suggest that retinal inputs of a word that are disparate by up to one character (0.37 degrees) fall within the effective fusional range such that lexical decisions are not impaired. ..
- Moon R, Sutton T, Wilson P, Kirkham F, Davies J. Pituitary function at long-term follow-up of childhood traumatic brain injury. J Neurotrauma. 2010;27:1827-35 pubmed publisher..Overall, pituitary dysfunction was less prevalent than in previous studies in adults and children. The results of this study do not support the use of routine endocrine evaluation of children following TBI. ..
- Mogg K, Bradley B, O Neill B, Bani M, Merlo Pich E, Koch A, et al. Effect of dopamine D? receptor antagonism on approach responses to food cues in overweight and obese individuals. Behav Pharmacol. 2012;23:603-8 pubmed publisher..The findings, albeit preliminary, are in agreement with the view that D? receptor antagonists may prove useful as therapeutic agents for reducing appetitive responses to food cues in obesity. ..
- Turner H, Marshall E, Stopa L, Waller G. Cognitive-behavioural therapy for outpatients with eating disorders: effectiveness for a transdiagnostic group in a routine clinical setting. Behav Res Ther. 2015;68:70-5 pubmed publisher..These findings confirm that evidence-based forms of CBT can be delivered with strong outcomes in routine clinical settings. Clinicians should be encouraged to deliver evidence-based treatments when working in these settings. ..
- Grzelewski T, Stelmach W, Stelmach R, Janas A, Grzelewska A, Witkowski K, et al. Spirometry-Adjusted Fraction of Exhaled Nitric Oxide Allows Asthma Diagnosis in Children, Adolescents, and Young Adults. Respir Care. 2016;61:162-72 pubmed publisher..We believe that our ratios are only supportive of the universally used parameters in the process of diagnosing asthma. (ClinicalTrials.gov registration NCT01805635.). ..
- Jackson C, Behan L, Collins S, Goggin P, Adam E, Coles J, et al. Accuracy of diagnostic testing in primary ciliary dyskinesia. Eur Respir J. 2016;47:837-48 pubmed publisher..In isolation nNO screening at this cut-off would miss âˆ¼10% of cases, but in combination with HSVMA could reduce unnecessary further testing. Standardisation of testing between centres is a future priority. ..
- Bishop F, Yardley L, Cooper C, Little P, Lewith G. Predicting adherence to acupuncture appointments for low back pain: a prospective observational study. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2017;17:5 pubmed publisher..Acupuncturists could make small changes to consultations and service organisation to encourage attendance at recommended appointments and thus potentially improve patient outcomes. ..
- Leone T, Matthews Z, Dalla Zuanna G. Impact and determinants of sex preference in Nepal. Int Fam Plan Perspect. 2003;29:69-75 pubmed..The level of sex preference in Nepal is substantial. Sex preference is an important barrier to the increase of contraceptive use and decline of fertility in the country; its impact will be greater as desired family size declines. ..
- Kobbernagel H, Buchvald F, Haarman E, Casaulta C, Collins S, Hogg C, et al. Study protocol, rationale and recruitment in a European multi-centre randomized controlled trial to determine the efficacy and safety of azithromycin maintenance therapy for 6 months in primary ciliary dyskinesia. BMC Pulm Med. 2016;16:104 pubmed publisher..EudraCT 2013-004664-58 (date of registration: 2014-04-08). ..
- Vohra H, Adamson L, Haw M. Does surgical correction of coarctation of the aorta in adults reduce established hypertension?. Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg. 2009;8:123-7 pubmed publisher..Thus, surgical correction of aortic coarctation is a relatively safe procedure. ..
- Amoako Johnson F, Padmadas S, Smith P. Orphanhood and vulnerability: a conduit to poor child health outcomes in Rwanda. AIDS Care. 2010;22:314-23 pubmed publisher..The results show that OVC status influences the risk of childhood morbidity both directly and indirectly and also as a conduit through which other significant proximate factors and socio-economic factors operate. ..
- Abu Hilal M, Di Fabio F, Teng M, Godfrey D, Primrose J, Pearce N. Surgical management of benign and indeterminate hepatic lesions in the era of laparoscopic liver surgery. Dig Surg. 2011;28:232-6 pubmed publisher..LLR should be only performed in specialized centres to ensure safety and strict adherence to orthodox surgical indication. ..
- Harvey M, Geldart T, Duell R, Mead G, Tung K. Routine computerised tomographic scans of the thorax in surveillance of stage I testicular non-seminomatous germ-cell cancer--a necessary risk?. Ann Oncol. 2002;13:237-42 pubmed..Continued review of surveillance programmes is essential if we are to optimise management of this disease. ..
- Konn Z, Martineau M, Bown N, Richards S, Swansbury J, Talley P, et al. Cytogenetics of long-term survivors of ETV6-RUNX1 fusion positive acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Genes Chromosomes Cancer. 2010;49:253-9 pubmed publisher..It appears that the two groups have some distinguishing cytogenetic features at the time of diagnosis, which may provide pointers to relapse that are worthy of more detailed study. ..
- Bours S, De Vries F, van den Bergh J, Lalmohamed A, Van Staa T, Leufkens H, et al. Risk of vertebral and non-vertebral fractures in patients with sarcoidosis: a population-based cohort. Osteoporos Int. 2016;27:1603-1610 pubmed publisher..In contrast, the risk of non-vertebral fractures maybe decreased. Further investigation is needed to understand the underlying mechanisms of these contrasting effects on fracture risk. ..
- Baskar S, Horne P, Fitzsimmons S, Khoury P, Vettukattill J, Niwa K, et al. Arrhythmia burden and related outcomes in Eisenmenger syndrome. Congenit Heart Dis. 2017;12:512-519 pubmed publisher..24]. Arrhythmias are common among patients with Eisenmenger syndrome occurring in around 1 in 5 individuals and are associated with all-cause mortality and sudden death. ..
- Peveler R, Bryden K, Neil H, Fairburn C, Mayou R, Dunger D, et al. The relationship of disordered eating habits and attitudes to clinical outcomes in young adult females with type 1 diabetes. Diabetes Care. 2005;28:84-8 pubmed..The combination of an eating disorder and diabetes puts patients at high risk of mortality and morbidity. Better methods of detection and management are needed. ..
- Konstantinidis A, Barton S, Sayers I, Yang I, Lordan J, Rorke S, et al. Genetic association studies of interleukin-13 receptor alpha1 subunit gene polymorphisms in asthma and atopy. Eur Respir J. 2007;30:40-7 pubmed
- Killingley B, Greatorex J, Digard P, Wise H, Garcia F, Varsani H, et al. The environmental deposition of influenza virus from patients infected with influenza A(H1N1)pdm09: Implications for infection prevention and control. J Infect Public Health. 2016;9:278-88 pubmed publisher..The air sampling results add to the accumulating evidence that supports the potential for droplet nuclei (aerosol) transmission of influenza. ..
- Wilkins B, Davis Z, Lucas S, Delsol G, Jones D. Splenic marginal zone atrophy and progressive CD8+ T-cell lymphocytosis in HIV infection: a study of adult post-mortem spleens from Côte d'Ivoire. Histopathology. 2003;42:173-85 pubmed..Comparison of West African and UK control spleens indicated that there were no major ethnic differences in spleen structure to prevent extrapolation of our results to European adults. ..
- Donnelly N, Cornes K, Menneer T. An examination of the processing capacity of features in the Thatcher illusion. Atten Percept Psychophys. 2012;74:1475-87 pubmed..We concluded that the oddity signalled by inversion of eyes and mouths does not arise from positive interdependencies between these features. ..
- Connett G, Pike K. Nutritional outcomes in cystic fibrosis - are we doing enough?. Paediatr Respir Rev. 2015;16 Suppl 1:31-4 pubmed publisher..Whilst these are all of potential benefit, poor adherence to nutritional care recommendations is probably the greatest impediment to future health improvement. More effective strategies to impact on treatment adherence are needed. ..
- Baughan C, Hall V, Leppard B, Perkins P. Follow-up in stage I cutaneous malignant melanoma: an audit. Clin Oncol (R Coll Radiol). 1993;5:174-80 pubmed..A series of changes to current follow-up practice are proposed including: more frequent visits for high risk patients, changes in clinic personnel, and greater emphasis on patient education and self examination. ..
- Theruvil B, Kapoor V, Thalava R, Nag H, Kotwal P. Vascular malformations in muscles around the knee presenting as knee pain. Knee. 2004;11:155-8 pubmed..There was no recurrence in any of the operated cases at the last follow-up. We believe that most of these lesions can be treated successfully by careful preoperative planning aided by MR imaging and a wide-open excision of the lesion. ..
- Aurich Barrera B, Wilton L, Brown D, Shakir S. Paediatric postmarketing pharmacovigilance using prescription-event monitoring: comparison of the adverse event profiles of lamotrigine prescribed to children and adults in England. Drug Saf. 2010;33:751-63 pubmed publisher..This study demonstrated that signal detection methods can be used to detect quantitative and qualitative differences in the AE profiles between the first children and adults taking a newly licensed drug. ..
- Khandhadia S, Trump D, Menon G, Lotery A. X-linked retinoschisis maculopathy treated with topical dorzolamide, and relationship to genotype. Eye (Lond). 2011;25:922-8 pubmed publisher..In our case series, genotypic information did not predict the response to this treatment. ..
- Cooper C, Steinbuch M, Stevenson R, Miday R, Watts N. The epidemiology of osteonecrosis: findings from the GPRD and THIN databases in the UK. Osteoporos Int. 2010;21:569-77 pubmed publisher..This study provides further perspective on the descriptive epidemiology of ON. Studies utilizing more recent data may further elucidate the understanding of ON key predictors. ..
- Walker W, Liew A, Harris A, Cole J, Lucas J. Upper and lower airway nitric oxide levels in primary ciliary dyskinesia, cystic fibrosis and asthma. Respir Med. 2013;107:380-6 pubmed publisher..Our findings in CF and asthma corroborate evidence that these are diseases of the lung peripheries and bronchi respectively. ..
- Moon R, Lim A, Farmer M, Segaran A, Clarke N, Harvey N, et al. Validity of parental recall of children's fracture: implications for investigation of childhood osteoporosis. Osteoporos Int. 2016;27:809-13 pubmed publisher..Approximately one in six fractures reported by parents to have occurred in their child's lifetime had not resulted in a fracture. One in nine children with a significant fracture history could have been investigated unnecessarily. ..
- Ashton J, Versteegh H, Batra A, Afzal N, King A, Griffiths D, et al. Colectomy in pediatric ulcerative colitis: A single center experience of indications, outcomes, and complications. J Pediatr Surg. 2016;51:277-81 pubmed publisher..Half of patients had acute complications, and 1/3 of patients required another operation during their first admission. 1/3 of patients developed late complications. ..
- Pruthi R, McClure M, Casula A, Roderick P, Fogarty D, Harber M, et al. Long-term graft outcomes and patient survival are lower posttransplant in patients with a primary renal diagnosis of glomerulonephritis. Kidney Int. 2016;89:918-26 pubmed publisher..This information should assist in pretransplant counseling of patients. Further study is required to understand the reduced survival seen in lupus nephritis and MPGN type II, and to improve overall graft outcomes. ..
- Lachlan K, Lucassen A, Bunyan D, Temple I. Cowden syndrome and Bannayan Riley Ruvalcaba syndrome represent one condition with variable expression and age-related penetrance: results of a clinical study of PTEN mutation carriers. J Med Genet. 2007;44:579-85 pubmed..This has important counselling implications, such as advice about cancer surveillance, for children diagnosed with BRRS. ..
- Vigliano P, Galloni G, Bagnasco I, Delia G, Moletto A, Mana M, et al. Sleep in children with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) before and after 6-month treatment with methylphenidate: a pilot study. Eur J Pediatr. 2016;175:695-704 pubmed publisher..e., psychostimulants, are not clear. What is new: â€¢ Our study showed that the 6-month continuous treatment with methylphenidate did not further negatively impact on sleep architecture in children with ADHD. ..
- Gent E, Clarke N. Joint replacement for sequelae of childhood hip disorders. J Pediatr Orthop. 2004;24:235-40 pubmed
- Roberts G, Mylonopoulou M, Hurley C, Lack G. Impairment in quality of life is directly related to the level of allergen exposure and allergic airway inflammation. Clin Exp Allergy. 2005;35:1295-300 pubmed..20, 95% CI -0.09 to 0.49 on a seven-point scale). HRQL is related to both allergen load and allergic inflammation and the PADQLQ has excellent cross-sectional and longitudinal validity with respect to quality of life and symptoms. ..
- Brown S, Kim M, Mitchell C, Inskip H. Twenty-five year mortality of a community cohort with schizophrenia. Br J Psychiatry. 2010;196:116-21 pubmed publisher..Most of the extra deaths are from natural causes. The apparent increase in cardiovascular mortality relative to the general population should be of concern to anyone with an interest in mental health. ..
- Christodoulou K, Wiskin A, Gibson J, Tapper W, Willis C, Afzal N, et al. Next generation exome sequencing of paediatric inflammatory bowel disease patients identifies rare and novel variants in candidate genes. Gut. 2013;62:977-84 pubmed publisher..A unique profile of rare and potentially damaging variants was evident for each patient with this complex disease. ..
- Fina Avilés F, Medina Peralta M, Méndez Boo L, Hermosilla E, Elorza J, Garcia Gil M, et al. The descriptive epidemiology of rheumatoid arthritis in Catalonia: a retrospective study using routinely collected data. Clin Rheumatol. 2016;35:751-7 pubmed publisher..The incidence and prevalence of RA in Catalonia are similar to those of other Southern European regions, and lower than those of northern areas. This data will inform health care planning and resource allocation. ..
- Crook T, Eynon C. Traumatic atlantoaxial rotatory subluxation. Emerg Med J. 2005;22:671-2 pubmed..Atlantoaxial rotatory subluxation should be considered in the presentation of traumatic torticollis. This case report discusses the characteristic radiographic findings and appropriate management. ..
- Lim Z, Vettukattil J. Role of echocardiography in the assessment of adolescents and adults with congenital heart disease. Minerva Cardioangiol. 2009;57:389-413 pubmed..The focus of this discussion will be mainly on this subset. ..
- Bird S, McGill N. Blood conservation and pain control in scoliosis corrective surgery: an online survey of UK practice. Paediatr Anaesth. 2011;21:50-3 pubmed publisher..The results from our survey show wide variation nationally and hopefully will provoke discussion and ultimately national multi-centred research to define best practice. ..
- Storrar W, Fogg C, Brown T, Dennison P, Yu L, Dewey A, et al. Temperature-controlled laminar airflow in severe asthma for exacerbation reduction (The LASER Trial): study protocol for a randomised controlled trial. Trials. 2016;17:15 pubmed publisher..The results of this study will be widely applicable to the many patients with allergic asthma both in the UK and internationally. Current controlled trials ISRCTN46346208 (Date assigned 22 January 2014). ..
- Amoako Johnson F, Padmadas S, Chandra H, Matthews Z, Madise N. Estimating unmet need for contraception by district within Ghana: an application of small-area estimation techniques. Popul Stud (Camb). 2012;66:105-22 pubmed publisher..The prevalence of contraceptive use varies from 4.1 to 41.7 per cent, while that of the use of modern methods varies from 4.0 to 34.8 per cent. The findings identify districts where family planning programmes need to be strengthened. ..
- Stone N, Ingham R. When and why do young people in the United Kingdom first use sexual health services?. Perspect Sex Reprod Health. 2003;35:114-20 pubmed..Service use could be increased by providing more youth-specific services and by improving publicity and links between the youth, education and health sectors to dispel fears and myths about services. ..
- White P, Bishop F, Prescott P, Scott C, Little P, Lewith G. Practice, practitioner, or placebo? A multifactorial, mixed-methods randomized controlled trial of acupuncture. Pain. 2012;153:455-62 pubmed publisher..Beliefs about treatment veracity shape how patients self-report outcome, complicating and confounding study interpretation. ..
- Publicover A, Richardson D, Davies A, Hill K, Hurlock C, Hutchins D, et al. Use of a biosimilar granulocyte colony-stimulating factor for peripheral blood stem cell mobilization: an analysis of mobilization and engraftment. Br J Haematol. 2013;162:107-11 pubmed publisher..The use of biosimilar GCSF can produce a significant cost saving, allowing investment in other areas of stem cell transplantation. ..
- Bellis M, Hughes K, Nicholls J, Sheron N, Gilmore I, Jones L. The alcohol harm paradox: using a national survey to explore how alcohol may disproportionately impact health in deprived individuals. BMC Public Health. 2016;16:111 pubmed publisher..Public health messages on how smoking, poor diet/exercise and bingeing escalate health risks associated with alcohol are needed, especially in deprived communities, as their absence will contribute to health inequalities. ..
- Brown J, Behndig A, Sekerel B, Pourazar J, Blomberg A, Kelly F, et al. Lower airways inflammation in allergic rhinitics: a comparison with asthmatics and normal controls. Clin Exp Allergy. 2007;37:688-95 pubmed..It is also indicated that IFN-gamma production by CD8(+) T lymphocytes could be protective against the development of airway hyperresponsiveness. Further work is needed to evaluate this hypothesis. ..
- Holloway J, Barton S, Holgate S, Rose Zerilli M, Sayers I. The role of LTA4H and ALOX5AP polymorphism in asthma and allergy susceptibility. Allergy. 2008;63:1046-53 pubmed publisher..17, CI 1.41-3.32). These data provide evidence for the role of SNPs spanning the ALOX5AP and LTA4H genes in asthma and atopy susceptibility in the Caucasian population and support a role for LTB(4) in disease pathogenesis. ..
- Adamson L, Vohra H, Haw M. Does pulmonary valve replacement post repair of tetralogy of Fallot improve right ventricular function?. Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg. 2009;9:520-7 pubmed publisher..PVR in this population appears to result in improved clinical outcome and can be performed with low mortality. ..
- Gale C, Batty G, McIntosh A, Porteous D, Deary I, Rasmussen F. Is bipolar disorder more common in highly intelligent people? A cohort study of a million men. Mol Psychiatry. 2013;18:190-4 pubmed publisher..0001). At least in men, high intelligence may indeed be a risk factor for bipolar disorder, but only in the minority of cases who have the disorder in a pure form with no psychiatric comorbidity. ..
- Williams J, Jones G, Christodoulides M, Heckels J. Serological correlates of protection against meningococci in a cohort of university students, before and during an outbreak of serogroup C infection. J Infect Dis. 2003;187:1433-41 pubmed
- Lee V, Tobin J, Foley E. Relationship of cervical ectopy to chlamydia infection in young women. J Fam Plann Reprod Health Care. 2006;32:104-6 pubmed..Opportunistic screening for chlamydia in young people should be offered to reduce the prevalence of infection and its sequelae. ..
- Liossi C, White P, Schoth D. Time-course of attentional bias for threat-related cues in patients with chronic daily headache-tension type: evidence for the role of anger. Eur J Pain. 2011;15:92-8 pubmed publisher..Moreover, the current pattern of results highlights the importance of exploring further the role of anger in the aetiology and maintenance of chronic pain in general, and CDH tension type in particular. ..
- Ernst T, Score J, Deininger M, Hidalgo Curtis C, Lackie P, Ershler W, et al. Identification of FOXP1 and SNX2 as novel ABL1 fusion partners in acute lymphoblastic leukaemia. Br J Haematol. 2011;153:43-6 pubmed publisher..The identification of ALL with rare ABL1 fusion partners is important because the leukaemia may respond to tyrosine kinase inhibitors in the same way as ALL patients with a classical BCR-ABL1 fusion gene. ..
- Neal S, Stone N, Ingham R. The impact of armed conflict on adolescent transitions: a systematic review of quantitative research on age of sexual debut, first marriage and first birth in young women under the age of 20 years. BMC Public Health. 2016;16:225 pubmed publisher..Further quantitative and qualitative studies are needed to explore how conflict influences SRH events in young women over both the short- and longer-term. ..
- Mann R, Pearce G, Dunn N, Shakir S. Sedation with "non-sedating" antihistamines: four prescription-event monitoring studies in general practice. BMJ. 2000;320:1184-6 pubmed..No increased risk of accident or injury was evident with any of the four drugs. Although the risk of sedation was low with all four drugs, fexofenadine and loratadine may be more appropriate for people working in safety critical jobs. ..
- Dennis N, Coppin B, Turner C, Skuse D, Jacobs P. A clinical, cytogenetic and molecular study of 47 females with r(X) chromosomes. Ann Hum Genet. 2000;64:277-93 pubmed..2. Thus some protection from oedema may be provided by the presence of two copies of Xq13.2. ..
- Lucas J, Cochrane S, Warner J, Hourihane J. The effect of digestion and pH on the allergenicity of kiwifruit proteins. Pediatr Allergy Immunol. 2008;19:392-8 pubmed..The data indicate that commonly used methods for predicting allergenicity of novel proteins using Coomassie stains may be flawed. ..
- Daniels T, Rogers G, Stressmann F, van der Gast C, Bruce K, Jones G, et al. Impact of antibiotic treatment for pulmonary exacerbations on bacterial diversity in cystic fibrosis. J Cyst Fibros. 2013;12:22-8 pubmed publisher..0±3.3 decreasing to 3.7±3.3 during treatment (ANOVA: F(1,66)=5.11; P<0.027). Antibiotic treatment directed at P. aeruginosa has an additional significant impact on non-pseudomonal, co-colonising species. ..
- Thomas C, Bisset A, Sampson M, Armstrong R. Case report: Multicentric carpal/tarsal osteolysis: imaging review and 25-year follow-up. Clin Radiol. 2006;61:892-5 pubmed
- Roberts G. Anaphylaxis to foods. Pediatr Allergy Immunol. 2007;18:543-8 pubmed..Managing children and teenagers with anaphylaxis is challenging due to the lack of available evidence that specific addresses these issue. The available evidence is presented and discussed...
- Sonuga Barke E, Lasky Su J, Neale B, Oades R, Chen W, Franke B, et al. Does parental expressed emotion moderate genetic effects in ADHD? An exploration using a genome wide association scan. Am J Med Genet B Neuropsychiatr Genet. 2008;147B:1359-68 pubmed publisher..We find evidence for the role of EE in moderating the effects of genes on ADHD severity and comorbid conduct disorder, implicating both novel and established candidates. These findings need replicating in larger independent samples. ..
- Westergren V, Wilson S, Penrose J, Howarth P, Sampson A. Nasal mucosal expression of the leukotriene and prostanoid pathways in seasonal and perennial allergic rhinitis. Clin Exp Allergy. 2009;39:820-8 pubmed publisher..Seasonal rhinitis biopsies shared only some of these changes, consistent with transient disease. Increased intra-epithelial mast cells and epithelial COX-1 expression in both rhinitic groups may generate modulatory prostanoids. ..
- Barton S, Koppelman G, Vonk J, Browning C, Nolte I, Stewart C, et al. PLAUR polymorphisms are associated with asthma, PLAUR levels, and lung function decline. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2009;123:1391-400.e17 pubmed publisher..Finally, the association of PLAUR with lung function decline supports a role for PLAUR in airway remodeling in asthma. ..
- Crawford G, Foulds N, Fenwick A, Hallowell N, Lucassen A. Genetic medicine and incidental findings: it is more complicated than deciding whether to disclose or not. Genet Med. 2013;15:896-9 pubmed publisher..Communication with, and care for, relatives who have no reason to suspect particular diagnoses is a challenge for any health-care service. These costs also need to be taken into account as genetic testing enters mainstream medicine. ..
- Murray E, Dack C, Barnard M, Farmer A, Li J, Michie S, et al. HeLP-Diabetes: randomised controlled trial protocol. BMC Health Serv Res. 2015;15:578 pubmed publisher..The Trial Registration number is ISRCTN 02123133 ; date of registration 14.2.13. ..
- Bhutta Z, Lassi Z, Bergeron G, Koletzko B, Salam R, Diaz A, et al. Delivering an action agenda for nutrition interventions addressing adolescent girls and young women: priorities for implementation and research. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2017;1393:61-71 pubmed publisher..Beyond the evidence synthesis, there is a clear need to translate evidence into policy and for implementation of key recommendations and addressing knowledge gaps through prioritized research. ..
- Sedikides C, Gebauer J. Religiosity as self-enhancement: a meta-analysis of the relation between socially desirable responding and religiosity. Pers Soc Psychol Rev. 2010;14:17-36 pubmed publisher..The evidence suggests that religiosity is partly in the service of self-enhancement. ..
- Little P, Turner S, Rumsby K, Jones R, Warner G, Moore M, et al. Validating the prediction of lower urinary tract infection in primary care: sensitivity and specificity of urinary dipsticks and clinical scores in women. Br J Gen Pract. 2010;60:495-500 pubmed publisher..A clinical score is of limited value in increasing diagnostic precision. Dipstick results can modestly improve diagnostic precision but poorly rule out infection. Clinicians need strategies to take account of poor NPVs. ..
- Aurich Barrera B, Wilton L, Brown D, Shakir S. Paediatric post-marketing pharmacovigilance: comparison of the adverse event profile of vigabatrin prescribed to children and adults. Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2011;20:608-18 pubmed publisher..However the methods may require modification to detect paediatric signals. The aim of this study was to compare the adverse event (AE) profile of children and adults taking vigabatrin, using modified signal detection methods (SDMs)...
- Davies J, Reed J, Blake E, Priesemann M, Jackson A, Clarke N. Epidemiology of vitamin D deficiency in children presenting to a pediatric orthopaedic service in the UK. J Pediatr Orthop. 2011;31:798-802 pubmed publisher..quot; 3. ..
- Fairchild G. The developmental psychopathology of motivation in adolescence. Dev Cogn Neurosci. 2011;1:414-29 pubmed publisher..The review will also attempt to explain why adolescence is a period of elevated risk for the development of psychopathology, by discussing normative changes in reward processing in humans and animals. ..
- Wardrop N, Fèvre E, Atkinson P, Welburn S. The dispersal ecology of Rhodesian sleeping sickness following its introduction to a new area. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2013;7:e2485 pubmed publisher..These results provide a novel insight into the ecology of Rhodesian sleeping sickness dispersal and may contribute towards the implementation of evidence-based control measures to prevent its further spread. ..
- Lynch T, Gray K, Hempel R, Titley M, Chen E, O Mahen H. Radically open-dialectical behavior therapy for adult anorexia nervosa: feasibility and outcomes from an inpatient program. BMC Psychiatry. 2013;13:293 pubmed publisher..These findings provide preliminary support for RO-DBT in treating AN-R suggesting the importance of further evaluation examining long-term outcomes using randomized controlled trial methodology. ..
- Gupta A, Campion Smith J, Hayes W, Deal J, Gilbert R, Inward C, et al. Positive trends in paediatric renal biopsy service provision in the UK: a national survey and re-audit of paediatric renal biopsy practice. Pediatr Nephrol. 2016;31:613-21 pubmed publisher..0008) and major complications (15.3Â % vs 3.3Â %, Pâ€‰=â€‰0.0015) compared with 16-gauge needles. Percutaneous renal biopsy remains a safe procedure in children, thus improving family-centered service provision in the UK. ..
- Sayers I, Barton S, Rorke S, Sawyer J, Peng Q, Beghe B, et al. Promoter polymorphism in the 5-lipoxygenase (ALOX5) and 5-lipoxygenase-activating protein (ALOX5AP) genes and asthma susceptibility in a Caucasian population. Clin Exp Allergy. 2003;33:1103-10 pubmed..23) genotypes and no allele was associated with asthma or asthma-related phenotypes. Taken together, these data do not support a significant role for these polymorphisms in genetic susceptibility to asthma in the Caucasian population. ..
- Griffin M, Newman M. Visual field effects on motion sickness in cars. Aviat Space Environ Med. 2004;75:739-48 pubmed..It is commonly assumed that car passengers who suffer from motion sickness will benefit from being able to see the road ahead...
- Stokes M, Hides J, Elliott J, Kiesel K, Hodges P. Rehabilitative ultrasound imaging of the posterior paraspinal muscles. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2007;37:581-95 pubmed..Further investigation of many of these observations is required using controlled studies to provide conclusive evidence that RUSI enhances clinical practice...