Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on rna polymerase ii in Boulder, Colorado, United States
Locale: Boulder, Colorado, United States
Topic: rna polymerase ii
- Lively T, Ferguson H, Galasinski S, Seto A, Goodrich J. c-Jun binds the N terminus of human TAF(II)250 to derepress RNA polymerase II transcription in vitro. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:25582-8 pubmed
- Poss Z, Ebmeier C, Taatjes D. The Mediator complex and transcription regulation. Crit Rev Biochem Mol Biol. 2013;48:575-608 pubmed publisher..We also describe factors that influence Mediator structure and activity, including TFs, non-coding RNAs and the CDK8 module. ..
- Galbraith M, Allen M, Bensard C, Wang X, Schwinn M, Qin B, et al. HIF1A employs CDK8-mediator to stimulate RNAPII elongation in response to hypoxia. Cell. 2013;153:1327-39 pubmed publisher..Our results provide a mechanistic link between HIF1A and CDK8, two potent oncogenes, in the cellular response to hypoxia. ..
- Cui M, Allen M, Larsen A, MacMorris M, Han M, Blumenthal T. Genes involved in pre-mRNA 3'-end formation and transcription termination revealed by a lin-15 operon Muv suppressor screen. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:16665-70 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, our results implicate a serine/arginine-rich (SR) protein, SRp20, in events following 3'-end cleavage, leading to termination of transcription. ..
- Wagner S, Yakovchuk P, Gilman B, Ponicsan S, Drullinger L, Kugel J, et al. RNA polymerase II acts as an RNA-dependent RNA polymerase to extend and destabilize a non-coding RNA. EMBO J. 2013;32:781-90 pubmed publisher..Our studies provide compelling evidence that mammalian Pol II acts as an RdRP to control the stability of a cellular RNA by extending its 3'-end. ..
- Yakovchuk P, Goodrich J, Kugel J. B2 RNA and Alu RNA repress transcription by disrupting contacts between RNA polymerase II and promoter DNA within assembled complexes. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:5569-74 pubmed publisher..In the absence of its normal contacts with the promoter, Pol II is likely held in these inactive complexes on DNA through interactions with promoter-bound TATA box-binding protein and transcription factor IIB. ..
- Donner A, Ebmeier C, Taatjes D, Espinosa J. CDK8 is a positive regulator of transcriptional elongation within the serum response network. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2010;17:194-201 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, CDK8-Mediator specifically interacts with positive transcription elongation factor b. Thus, we have uncovered a role for CDK8 in transcriptional regulation that may contribute to its oncogenic effects. ..
- Bernecky C, Taatjes D. Activator-mediator binding stabilizes RNA polymerase II orientation within the human mediator-RNA polymerase II-TFIIF assembly. J Mol Biol. 2012;417:387-94 pubmed publisher..Because Mediator interacts extensively with pol II, these results suggest that Mediator structural shifts induced by activator binding help stably orient pol II prior to transcription initiation. ..
- Taatjes D. The Continuing SAGA of TFIID and RNA Polymerase II Transcription. Mol Cell. 2017;68:1-2 pubmed publisher..2017) and Warfield et al. (2017) revisit fundamental questions about SAGA and TFIID function in yeast. They conclude that each complex independently contributes to the expression of all genes transcribed by RNA polymerase II...
- Abendroth F, Peterson S, Galman M, Suwa A, Hardin J, Dynan W. Identification of human autoantibodies to transcription factor IIB. Nucleic Acids Res. 1995;23:2770-4 pubmed..The present results show that at least one general transcription factor required for messenger RNA synthesis is an autoantigen as well. ..
- Andrysik Z, Kim J, Tan A, Espinosa J. A genetic screen identifies TCF3/E2A and TRIAP1 as pathway-specific regulators of the cellular response to p53 activation. Cell Rep. 2013;3:1346-54 pubmed publisher..In contrast, TRIAP1 is a specific repressor of p21 whose depletion slows down cell-cycle progression. Our results reveal strategies for driving cells toward specific p53-dependent responses. ..
- Yakovchuk P, Goodrich J, Kugel J. B2 RNA represses TFIIH phosphorylation of RNA polymerase II. Transcription. 2011;2:45-9 pubmed publisher..Biochemical assays revealed that B2 RNA, when present with Pol II in promoter-bound complexes, specifically represses CTD phosphorylation by TFIIH. ..
- Walters R, Kugel J, Goodrich J. InvAluable junk: the cellular impact and function of Alu and B2 RNAs. IUBMB Life. 2009;61:831-7 pubmed publisher..Future studies will likely reveal additional contributions of Alu and B2 RNAs as regulators of gene expression. ..
- Knuesel M, Taatjes D. Mediator and post-recruitment regulation of RNA polymerase II. Transcription. 2011;2:28-31 pubmed publisher..These results are discussed together with other recent findings regarding post-recruitment regulation of Pol II. ..
- Gomes N, Espinosa J. Gene-specific repression of the p53 target gene PUMA via intragenic CTCF-Cohesin binding. Genes Dev. 2010;24:1022-34 pubmed publisher..Therefore, CTCF plays a pivotal role in dampening the p53 apoptotic response by acting as a gene-specific repressor. ..
- Meyer K, Lin S, Bernecky C, Gao Y, Taatjes D. p53 activates transcription by directing structural shifts in Mediator. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2010;17:753-60 pubmed publisher..Our results define a fundamental mechanism by which p53 activates transcription and suggest that Mediator structural shifts trigger activation of stalled Pol II complexes. ..
- Wagner S, Kugel J, Goodrich J. TFIIF facilitates dissociation of RNA polymerase II from noncoding RNAs that lack a repression domain. Mol Cell Biol. 2010;30:91-7 pubmed publisher..These studies also identify a new function for ncRNA repression domains: they stabilize interactions of ncRNAs with Pol II in the presence of TFIIF. ..
- Ponicsan S, Houel S, Old W, Ahn N, Goodrich J, Kugel J. The non-coding B2 RNA binds to the DNA cleft and active-site region of RNA polymerase II. J Mol Biol. 2013;425:3625-38 pubmed publisher..These studies determine the location of a defined nucleic acid binding site on a large, native, multi-subunit complex and provide insight into the mechanism of transcriptional repression by B2 RNA. ..
- Mariner P, Walters R, Espinoza C, Drullinger L, Wagner S, Kugel J, et al. Human Alu RNA is a modular transacting repressor of mRNA transcription during heat shock. Mol Cell. 2008;29:499-509 pubmed publisher..These studies provide an explanation for why mouse cells harbor two major classes of SINEs, whereas human cells contain only one. ..
- Donner A, Szostek S, Hoover J, Espinosa J. CDK8 is a stimulus-specific positive coregulator of p53 target genes. Mol Cell. 2007;27:121-33 pubmed..Furthermore, increased binding of CDK8 to p53 target genes correlates positively with transcriptional strength. RNAi experiments demonstrate that CDK8 functions as a coactivator within the p53 transcriptional program. ..
- Ferguson H, Kugel J, Goodrich J. Kinetic and mechanistic analysis of the RNA polymerase II transcrption reaction at the human interleukin-2 promoter. J Mol Biol. 2001;314:993-1006 pubmed..We present a kinetic model for a single round of basal transcription at the IL-2 promoter that provides insight into mechanisms by which the IL-2 gene is transcriptionally regulated. ..