Experts and Doctors on prions in Fort Collins, Colorado, United States
Locale: Fort Collins, Colorado, United States
- Denkers N, Seelig D, Telling G, Hoover E. Aerosol and nasal transmission of chronic wasting disease in cervidized mice. J Gen Virol. 2010;91:1651-8 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that CWD can be transmitted by aerosol (as well as nasal) exposure and suggest that exposure via the respiratory system merits consideration for prion disease transmission and biosafety. ..
- Michel B, Meyerett Reid C, Johnson T, Ferguson A, Wyckoff C, Pulford B, et al. Incunabular immunological events in prion trafficking. Sci Rep. 2012;2:440 pubmed publisher..These data reveal novel, cell autonomous prion lymphotropism, and a prominent role for B cells in intranodal prion movement. ..
- Spraker T, Miller M, Williams E, Getzy D, Adrian W, Schoonveld G, et al. Spongiform encephalopathy in free-ranging mule deer (Odocoileus hemionus), white-tailed deer (Odocoileus virginianus) and Rocky Mountain elk (Cervus elaphus nelsoni) in northcentral Colorado. J Wildl Dis. 1997;33:1-6 pubmed..Prevalence estimates, transmissibility, host range, distribution, origins, and management implications of spongiform encephalopathy in free-ranging deer and elk remain undetermined. ..
- Pilon J, Nash P, Arver T, Hoglund D, VerCauteren K. Feasibility of infectious prion digestion using mild conditions and commercial subtilisin. J Virol Methods. 2009;161:168-72 pubmed publisher..0, and elevated temperatures to be a safely efficacious, thereby limiting applicability on delicate surgical instruments and use in the environment. ..
- Afsar Minhas F, Ross E, Ben Hur A. Amino acid composition predicts prion activity. PLoS Comput Biol. 2017;13:e1005465 pubmed publisher..A web-server for the proposed method is available at http://faculty.pieas.edu.pk/fayyaz/prank.html, and the code for reproducing our experiments is available at http://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.167136. ..
- Nalls A, McNulty E, Hoover C, Pulscher L, Hoover E, Mathiason C. Infectious Prions in the Pregnancy Microenvironment of Chronic Wasting Disease-Infected Reeves' Muntjac Deer. J Virol. 2017;91: pubmed publisher..These findings have impact on our current concept of CWD disease transmission. ..
- Nichols T, Pulford B, Wyckoff A, Meyerett C, Michel B, Gertig K, et al. Detection of protease-resistant cervid prion protein in water from a CWD-endemic area. Prion. 2009;3:171-83 pubmed..These data demonstrate detection of very low levels of PrP(CWD) in the environment by sPMCA and suggest persistence and accumulation of prions in the environment that may promote CWD transmission...
- Sigurdson C, Spraker T, Miller M, Oesch B, Hoover E. PrP(CWD) in the myenteric plexus, vagosympathetic trunk and endocrine glands of deer with chronic wasting disease. J Gen Virol. 2001;82:2327-34 pubmed
- Nichols T, Spraker T, Rigg T, Meyerett Reid C, Hoover C, Michel B, et al. Intranasal inoculation of white-tailed deer (Odocoileus virginianus) with lyophilized chronic wasting disease prion particulate complexed to montmorillonite clay. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e62455 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate that CWD can be efficiently transmitted utilizing Mte particles as a prion carrier and intranasal exposure. ..
- Monello R, Powers J, Hobbs N, Spraker T, O Rourke K, Wild M. Efficacy of antemortem rectal biopsies to diagnose and estimate prevalence of chronic wasting disease in free-ranging cow elk (Cervus elaphus nelsoni). J Wildl Dis. 2013;49:270-8 pubmed publisher..Prevalence estimates from this population are the highest reported to date in elk and indicate that under appropriate conditions, CWD may be able to affect the dynamics of high-density elk populations...
- Ross C, McCarty B, Hamilton M, Ben Hur A, Ross E. A promiscuous prion: efficient induction of [URE3] prion formation by heterologous prion domains. Genetics. 2009;183:929-40 pubmed publisher..Remarkably, all but one of these domains were also able to efficiently increase [URE3] formation. These results suggest that a wide variety of proteins could potentially affect [URE3] formation. ..
- Sigurdson C, Miller M. Other animal prion diseases. Br Med Bull. 2003;66:199-212 pubmed..Here we review the epidemiology, transmission, clinical features and pathology of these other animal prion diseases. ..
- Ross E, MacLea K, Anderson C, Ben Hur A. A bioinformatics method for identifying Q/N-rich prion-like domains in proteins. Methods Mol Biol. 2013;1017:219-28 pubmed publisher..We discuss the basis for the algorithm, its limitations, and usage of recently developed online and downloadable versions of the algorithm. ..
- Nalls A, McNulty E, Powers J, Seelig D, Hoover C, Haley N, et al. Mother to offspring transmission of chronic wasting disease in reeves' muntjac deer. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e71844 pubmed publisher..Overall, our findings demonstrate that transmission of prions from mother to offspring can occur, and may be underestimated for all prion diseases. ..
- Spraker T, O Rourke K, Gidlewski T, Powers J, Greenlee J, Wild M. Detection of the abnormal isoform of the prion protein associated with chronic wasting disease in the optic pathways of the brain and retina of Rocky Mountain elk (Cervus elaphus nelsoni). Vet Pathol. 2010;47:536-46 pubmed publisher..This study demonstrates PrP(CWD) accumulation in nuclei of the visual pathways of the brain, followed by PrP(CWD) in the retina. ..
- Toombs J, McCarty B, Ross E. Compositional determinants of prion formation in yeast. Mol Cell Biol. 2010;30:319-32 pubmed publisher..Additionally, our results explain why traditional amyloid prediction algorithms fail to accurately predict amyloid formation by the glutamine/asparagine-rich yeast prion domains. ..
- Henderson D, Tennant J, Haley N, Denkers N, Mathiason C, Hoover E. Detection of chronic wasting disease prion seeding activity in deer and elk feces by real-time quaking-induced conversion. J Gen Virol. 2017;98:1953-1962 pubmed publisher..The results have application to detection, surveillance and management of CWD, and potentially to other protein-misfolding diseases. ..