Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on microglia in Boulder, Colorado, United States
Locale: Boulder, Colorado, United States
- Ledeboer A, Sloane E, Milligan E, Frank M, Mahony J, Maier S, et al. Minocycline attenuates mechanical allodynia and proinflammatory cytokine expression in rat models of pain facilitation. Pain. 2005;115:71-83 pubmed..Taken together these data highlight the importance of microglial activation in the development of exaggerated pain states...
- Hutchinson M, Zhang Y, Brown K, Coats B, Shridhar M, Sholar P, et al. Non-stereoselective reversal of neuropathic pain by naloxone and naltrexone: involvement of toll-like receptor 4 (TLR4). Eur J Neurosci. 2008;28:20-9 pubmed publisher..Thus, these data suggest that (+)-opioid antagonists such as (+)-naloxone may be useful clinically to suppress glial activation, yet (-)-opioid agonists suppress pain. ..
- Lewis S, Hutchinson M, Rezvani N, Loram L, Zhang Y, Maier S, et al. Evidence that intrathecal morphine-3-glucuronide may cause pain enhancement via toll-like receptor 4/MD-2 and interleukin-1beta. Neuroscience. 2010;165:569-83 pubmed publisher..These data provide the first evidence for a TLR4 and IL-1 mediated component to M3G-induced effects, likely of at least microglial origin. ..
- Hutchinson M, Lewis S, Coats B, Rezvani N, Zhang Y, Wieseler J, et al. Possible involvement of toll-like receptor 4/myeloid differentiation factor-2 activity of opioid inactive isomers causes spinal proinflammation and related behavioral consequences. Neuroscience. 2010;167:880-93 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these data provide the first evidence of the pro-nociceptive consequences of small molecule xenobiotic activation of spinal TLR4 signaling independent of classical opioid receptor involvement. ..
- Wang X, Grace P, Pham M, Cheng K, Strand K, Smith C, et al. Rifampin inhibits Toll-like receptor 4 signaling by targeting myeloid differentiation protein 2 and attenuates neuropathic pain. FASEB J. 2013;27:2713-22 pubmed publisher..The results also suggest that rifampin may be repositioned as an agent for the treatment of neuropathic pain. ..
- Grace P, Strand K, Galer E, Urban D, Wang X, Baratta M, et al. Morphine paradoxically prolongs neuropathic pain in rats by amplifying spinal NLRP3 inflammasome activation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2016;113:E3441-50 pubmed publisher..This study predicts that prolonged pain is an unrealized and clinically concerning consequence of the abundant use of opioids in chronic pain. ..
- Milligan E, Zapata V, Chacur M, Schoeniger D, Biedenkapp J, O Connor K, et al. Evidence that exogenous and endogenous fractalkine can induce spinal nociceptive facilitation in rats. Eur J Neurosci. 2004;20:2294-302 pubmed..Taken together, these initial investigations of spinal fractalkine effects suggest that exogenous and endogenous fractalkine are involved in spinal sensitization, including that induced by peripheral neuropathy. ..
- Milligan E, Zapata V, Schoeniger D, Chacur M, Green P, Poole S, et al. An initial investigation of spinal mechanisms underlying pain enhancement induced by fractalkine, a neuronally released chemokine. Eur J Neurosci. 2005;22:2775-82 pubmed..Taken together, these data support that neuronally released fractalkine enhances pain via activation of spinal cord glia. Thus, fractalkine may be a neuron-to-glia signal triggering pain facilitation. ..