Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on xenopus proteins in Berkeley, California, United States
Locale: Berkeley, California, United States
Topic: xenopus proteins
- Peyrot S, Wallingford J, Harland R. A revised model of Xenopus dorsal midline development: differential and separable requirements for Notch and Shh signaling. Dev Biol. 2011;352:254-66 pubmed publisher..Our model is distinct from those proposed to date, and may serve as a guide for future studies in frog and other vertebrate organisms. ..
- Liu K, Harland R. Cloning and characterization of Xenopus Id4 reveals differing roles for Id genes. Dev Biol. 2003;264:339-51 pubmed..Id4 is able to inhibit the activity all these bHLH molecules, Id2 inhibits MyoD and neuroD, while Id3 blocks only neuroD activity in our assays. ..
- Levy D, Heald R. Nuclear size is regulated by importin ? and Ntf2 in Xenopus. Cell. 2010;143:288-98 pubmed publisher..Importin ? also contributes to nuclear size changes during early X. laevis development. Thus, nuclear transport mechanisms are physiological regulators of both interspecies and developmental nuclear scaling...
- Frank D, Harland R. Localized expression of a Xenopus POU gene depends on cell-autonomous transcriptional activation and induction-dependent inactivation. Development. 1992;115:439-48 pubmed..This negative regulatory pathway may be important for determining cell fate or maintaining an inducible state in the ventroposterior region of the embryo. ..
- Young J, Kjolby R, Kong N, Monica S, Harland R. Spalt-like 4 promotes posterior neural fates via repression of pou5f3 family members in Xenopus. Development. 2014;141:1683-93 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that Sall4, activated by posteriorizing signals, represses the pou5f3 genes to provide a permissive environment allowing for additional Wnt/Fgf/RA signals to posteriorize the neural plate. ..
- Halpin D, Kalab P, Wang J, Weis K, Heald R. Mitotic spindle assembly around RCC1-coated beads in Xenopus egg extracts. PLoS Biol. 2011;9:e1001225 pubmed publisher..These results identify two activities sufficient to mimic chromatin-mediated spindle assembly, and establish a foundation for future experiments to reconstitute spindle assembly entirely from purified components. ..
- Hemmati Brivanlou A, Mann R, Harland R. A protein expressed in the growth cones of embryonic vertebrate neurons defines a new class of intermediate filament protein. Neuron. 1992;9:417-28 pubmed..Because of the predicted structure of the protein, we have named it tanabin (from the Persian word for rope). ..
- Chuang P, Albertson D, Meyer B. DPY-27:a chromosome condensation protein homolog that regulates C. elegans dosage compensation through association with the X chromosome. Cell. 1994;79:459-74 pubmed..We propose that DPY-27 implements dosage compensation by condensing the chromatin structure of X in a manner that causes general reduction of X chromosome expression. ..
- Haigo S, Harland R, Wallingford J. A family of Xenopus BTB-Kelch repeat proteins related to ENC-1: new markers for early events in floorplate and placode development. Gene Expr Patterns. 2003;3:669-74 pubmed..Xencr-3 is expressed strongly in several cranial placodes during the early neurula stages, placing it among the earliest molecular markers of placode precursor populations. ..
- Peyrot S, Martin B, Harland R. Lymph heart musculature is under distinct developmental control from lymphatic endothelium. Dev Biol. 2010;339:429-38 pubmed publisher..These results suggest a mechanism for the evolutionary transition from anterior lymph hearts to jugular lymph sacs in mammals...
- Maresca T, Niederstrasser H, Weis K, Heald R. Xnf7 contributes to spindle integrity through its microtubule-bundling activity. Curr Biol. 2005;15:1755-61 pubmed..Characterization of the multiple activities of Xnf7 may have implications for understanding human diseases caused by mutations in related proteins. ..
- Wills A, Dickinson K, Khokha M, Baker J. Bmp signaling is necessary and sufficient for ventrolateral endoderm specification in Xenopus. Dev Dyn. 2008;237:2177-86 pubmed publisher..Overall, this report strongly suggests that Bmp plays an essential role in ventral endoderm specification. ..
- Chung H, Medina Ruiz S, Harland R. Sp8 regulates inner ear development. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2014;111:6329-34 pubmed publisher..We propose that sp8 is an important factor for initiation and elaboration of inner ear development. ..
- Dichmann D, Harland R. fus/TLS orchestrates splicing of developmental regulators during gastrulation. Genes Dev. 2012;26:1351-63 pubmed publisher..This shows that fus is central to embryogenesis and may provide information on its function in neurodegenerative disease...
- Dichmann D, Harland R. Nkx6 genes pattern the frog neural plate and Nkx6.1 is necessary for motoneuron axon projection. Dev Biol. 2011;349:378-86 pubmed publisher..1 function, but overall neural patterning is not. This study illustrates that while important aspects of Nkx6 gene function are conserved in vertebrate neural patterning, others are not. ..
- Lee E, Burnside B, Flannery J. Characterization of peripherin/rds and rom-1 transport in rod photoreceptors of transgenic and knockout animals. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2006;47:2150-60 pubmed..The finding that rom-1 transports to the outer segment domain in rds mice suggests that rom-1 may possess its own sorting and transport signals. ..
- Choi V, Harland R, Khokha M. Developmental expression of FoxJ1.2, FoxJ2, and FoxQ1 in Xenopus tropicalis. Gene Expr Patterns. 2006;6:443-7 pubmed publisher..At later stages, FoxQ1 is also expressed in the anterior gut. FoxJ1.2, FoxJ2, and FoxQ1 may prove to be useful tissue-specific markers of these embryonic structures...
- Eimon P, Harland R. Effects of heterodimerization and proteolytic processing on Derrière and Nodal activity: implications for mesoderm induction in Xenopus. Development. 2002;129:3089-103 pubmed..Taken together, these findings indicate that Derrière and Nodal proteins probably work cooperatively to induce mesoderm throughout the marginal zone during early Xenopus development. ..
- Wang W, Mariani F, Harland R, Luo K. Ski represses bone morphogenic protein signaling in Xenopus and mammalian cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2000;97:14394-9 pubmed..Thus, Ski is able to repress the activity of all receptor-associated Smads and may regulate vertebrate development by modulating the signaling activity of transforming growth factor-beta family members. ..
- Baker J, Harland R. A novel mesoderm inducer, Madr2, functions in the activin signal transduction pathway. Genes Dev. 1996;10:1880-9 pubmed..Nuclear localization of Madr2 in response to activin, and the activin-like phenotypes induced by overexpression of Madr2, indicate that Madr2 is a signal transduction component that mediates the activity of activin. ..
- Hannak E, Heald R. Xorbit/CLASP links dynamic microtubules to chromosomes in the Xenopus meiotic spindle. J Cell Biol. 2006;172:19-25 pubmed publisher..We propose that Xorbit tethers dynamic MT plus ends to kinetochores and chromatin, providing a stabilizing activity that is crucial for spindle assembly and chromosome segregation...
- Dichmann D, Fletcher R, Harland R. Expression cloning in Xenopus identifies RNA-binding proteins as regulators of embryogenesis and Rbmx as necessary for neural and muscle development. Dev Dyn. 2008;237:1755-66 pubmed publisher..Using morpholino mediated knockdown, we show that Rbmx is necessary for normal anterior neural plate patterning, neurogenesis, neural crest development, and muscle segmentation. ..
- Martin B, Harland R. A novel role for lbx1 in Xenopus hypaxial myogenesis. Development. 2006;133:195-208 pubmed..The results indicate that a primary function of lbx1 in hypaxial muscle development is to repress myoD, allowing myoblasts to proliferate before the eventual onset of terminal differentiation. ..
- Blower M, Nachury M, Heald R, Weis K. A Rae1-containing ribonucleoprotein complex is required for mitotic spindle assembly. Cell. 2005;121:223-34 pubmed..Furthermore, we provide evidence that RNA associates with the mitotic spindle and that it plays a direct, translation-independent role in spindle assembly. Our studies reveal an unexpected function for RNA in spindle morphogenesis. ..
- Freedman B, Heald R. Functional comparison of H1 histones in Xenopus reveals isoform-specific regulation by Cdk1 and RanGTP. Curr Biol. 2010;20:1048-52 pubmed publisher..Our results reveal distinct regulatory mechanisms among linker histone isoforms and a specific role for H1M to compact chromosomes during egg meiotic arrest and early embryonic divisions. ..
- Monsoro Burq A, Wang E, Harland R. Msx1 and Pax3 cooperate to mediate FGF8 and WNT signals during Xenopus neural crest induction. Dev Cell. 2005;8:167-78 pubmed..Thus, WNT and FGF8 signals act in parallel at the neural border and converge on Pax3 activity during neural crest induction. ..
- Fletcher R, Watson A, Harland R. Expression of Xenopus tropicalis noggin1 and noggin2 in early development: two noggin genes in a tetrapod. Gene Expr Patterns. 2004;5:225-30 pubmed..rerio with expression in the forebrain, hindbrain, and somites, but unlike D. rerio, X. tropicalis noggin2 is expressed in the heart by stage 28. This work presents the first example of a tetrapod with at least two noggin genes. ..
- Dionne M, Skarnes W, Harland R. Mutation and analysis of Dan, the founding member of the Dan family of transforming growth factor beta antagonists. Mol Cell Biol. 2001;21:636-43 pubmed..Mice lacking Dan activity were generated by gene targeting and displayed subtle, background-dependent defects. ..
- Hsu D, Economides A, Wang X, Eimon P, Harland R. The Xenopus dorsalizing factor Gremlin identifies a novel family of secreted proteins that antagonize BMP activities. Mol Cell. 1998;1:673-83 pubmed..Therefore, we propose that Gremlin, Cerberus, and DAN control diverse processes in growth and development by selectively antagonizing the activities of different subsets of the TGF beta ligands. ..