Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on signal transduction in Los Angeles, California, United States
Locale: Los Angeles, California, United States
Topic: signal transduction
Publications441 found, 100 shown here
- Kogai T, Liu Y, Richter L, Mody K, Kagechika H, Brent G. Retinoic acid induces expression of the thyroid hormone transporter, monocarboxylate transporter 8 (Mct8). J Biol Chem. 2010;285:27279-88 pubmed publisher..This finding demonstrates cross-talk between RA signaling and thyroid hormone signaling in early development at the level of the thyroid hormone transporter. ..
- Shen J, James A, Zhang X, Pang S, Zara J, Asatrian G, et al. Novel Wnt Regulator NEL-Like Molecule-1 Antagonizes Adipogenesis and Augments Osteogenesis Induced by Bone Morphogenetic Protein 2. Am J Pathol. 2016;186:419-34 pubmed publisher..The novel abilities of NELL-1 to stimulate Wnt signaling and to repress adipogenesis may highlight new treatment approaches for bone loss in osteoporosis. ..
- Ronni T, Agarwal V, Haykinson M, Haberland M, Cheng G, Smale S. Common interaction surfaces of the toll-like receptor 4 cytoplasmic domain stimulate multiple nuclear targets. Mol Cell Biol. 2003;23:2543-55 pubmed..The mutant phenotypes provide a framework for future studies of TLR4 signaling, as the interaction supported by each critical surface residue will need to be defined. ..
- Rey O, Yuan J, Young S, Rozengurt E. Protein kinase C nu/protein kinase D3 nuclear localization, catalytic activation, and intracellular redistribution in response to G protein-coupled receptor agonists. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:23773-85 pubmed..Thus, this study demonstrates that the intracellular distribution of PKD isoenzymes are distinct, and suggests that their signaling properties are regulated by differential localization. ..
- Vlotides G, Cruz Soto M, Rubinek T, Eigler T, Auernhammer C, Melmed S. Mechanisms for growth factor-induced pituitary tumor transforming gene-1 expression in pituitary folliculostellate TtT/GF cells. Mol Endocrinol. 2006;20:3321-35 pubmed..EGFR ligands induce PTTG1 and regulate S-phase, mediated by phosphatidylinositol 3 kinase, protein kinase C, and MAPK pathways. PTTG1 is therefore a target for EGFR-mediated paracrine regulation of pituitary cell growth. ..
- Round J, Humphries L, Tomassian T, Mittelstadt P, Zhang M, Miceli M. Scaffold protein Dlgh1 coordinates alternative p38 kinase activation, directing T cell receptor signals toward NFAT but not NF-kappaB transcription factors. Nat Immunol. 2007;8:154-61 pubmed..Along with reports that the CARMA1 MAGUK scaffold protein coordinates activation of Jnk and NF-kappaB but not of p38 or NFAT, our findings identify MAGUK scaffold proteins as 'orchestrators' of TCR signal specificity. ..
- Galicia V, He L, Dang H, Kanel G, Vendryes C, French B, et al. Expansion of hepatic tumor progenitor cells in Pten-null mice requires liver injury and is reversed by loss of AKT2. Gastroenterology. 2010;139:2170-82 pubmed publisher..Further research is required to elucidate the mechanism for hepatic injury and its relationship with TIC activation. ..
- Zagory J, Dietz W, Park A, Fenlon M, Xu J, Utley S, et al. Notch signaling promotes ductular reactions in biliary atresia. J Surg Res. 2017;215:250-256 pubmed publisher..These data are consistent with Notch signaling promoting ductular reactions of Prom1 expressing progenitor cells in BA. ..
- Cole S, Mendoza S, Capitanio J. Social stress desensitizes lymphocytes to regulation by endogenous glucocorticoids: insights from in vivo cell trafficking dynamics in rhesus macaques. Psychosom Med. 2009;71:591-7 pubmed publisher..Chronic social stress can impair normal physiologic regulation of leukocyte function by the HPA axis in ways that may contribute to the increased physical health risks associated with social adversity. ..
- McInturff J, Modlin R, Kim J. The role of toll-like receptors in the pathogenesis and treatment of dermatological disease. J Invest Dermatol. 2005;125:1-8 pubmed..In the future, it seems possible there may also be drugs capable of blocking TLR activation and thus TLR-dependent inflammatory responses, providing new treatment options for inflammatory diseases. ..
- TURKI JUDEH W, Courey A. Groucho: a corepressor with instructive roles in development. Curr Top Dev Biol. 2012;98:65-96 pubmed publisher..Gro can sense and integrate many cellular inputs to modulate the expression of variety of genes, making it a versatile corepressor with crucial instructive roles in development and signaling. ..
- Montgomery B, Eisenberger M, Rettig M, Chu F, Pili R, Stephenson J, et al. Androgen Receptor Modulation Optimized for Response (ARMOR) Phase I and II Studies: Galeterone for the Treatment of Castration-Resistant Prostate Cancer. Clin Cancer Res. 2016;22:1356-63 pubmed publisher..Galeterone was well tolerated and demonstrated pharmacodynamic changes consistent with its selective, multifunctional AR signaling inhibition. ..
- Leclerc N, Noh T, Cogan J, Samarawickrama D, Smith E, Frenkel B. Opposing effects of glucocorticoids and Wnt signaling on Krox20 and mineral deposition in osteoblast cultures. J Cell Biochem. 2008;103:1938-51 pubmed..These findings are consistent with a role for Krox20 in osteoblast function and suggest that this transcription factor may contribute to the opposing effects of GCs and Wnt signaling on bone formation. ..
- Cinar B, Collak F, Lopez D, Akgul S, Mukhopadhyay N, Kilicarslan M, et al. MST1 is a multifunctional caspase-independent inhibitor of androgenic signaling. Cancer Res. 2011;71:4303-13 pubmed publisher..Because MST1 is also involved in regulating the AKT1 pathway, this kinase may be an important new link between androgenic and growth factor signaling and a novel therapeutic target in PCa. ..
- Spain B, Bowdish K, Pacal A, Staub S, Koo D, Chang C, et al. Two human cDNAs, including a homolog of Arabidopsis FUS6 (COP11), suppress G-protein- and mitogen-activated protein kinase-mediated signal transduction in yeast and mammalian cells. Mol Cell Biol. 1996;16:6698-706 pubmed..For gps1, these results are consistent with the proposed function of FUS6 (COP11) as a signal transduction repressor in plants. ..
- Kaunitz J, Yamaguchi D. TNAP, TrAP, ecto-purinergic signaling, and bone remodeling. J Cell Biochem. 2008;105:655-62 pubmed publisher..We will review the existing data addressing regulation of BRC pH(e), present a hypothesis regarding its regulation, and discuss the hypothesis in the context of the function of proteins that regulate pH(e). ..
- Li X, Chen Y, Josson S, Mukhopadhyay N, Kim J, Freeman M, et al. MicroRNA-185 and 342 inhibit tumorigenicity and induce apoptosis through blockade of the SREBP metabolic pathway in prostate cancer cells. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e70987 pubmed publisher..Restoration of miR-185 and 342 led to caspase-dependent apoptotic death in prostate cancer cells. The newly identified miRNAs, miR-185 and 342, represent a novel targeting mechanism for prostate cancer therapy. ..
- Murase Y, Hattori T, Aoyama E, Nishida T, Maeda Uematsu A, Kawaki H, et al. Role of CCN2 in Amino Acid Metabolism of Chondrocytes. J Cell Biochem. 2016;117:927-37 pubmed publisher..Interestingly, CCN2 was found to capture such free amino acids in vitro. Under physiological conditions, CCN2 may be regulating the levels of free amino acids in the extracellular matrix of cartilage. ..
- Yu F, Harada J, Brown H, Deng H, Song M, Wu T, et al. Systematic identification of cellular signals reactivating Kaposi sarcoma-associated herpesvirus. PLoS Pathog. 2007;3:e44 pubmed
- Lee S, Hong B, Sharabi A, Huang X, Chen S. Embryonic stem cells and mammary luminal progenitors directly sense and respond to microbial products. Stem Cells. 2009;27:1604-15 pubmed publisher..This finding expands the biological role of TLRs and has implications in understanding stem cell biology, tissue repair/homeostasis, and the role of infection and inflammation in malignant transformation. ..
- Tang E, Wang C. TRAF5 is a downstream target of MAVS in antiviral innate immune signaling. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e9172 pubmed publisher..Thus, our findings reveal a possible function for TRAF5 in mediating the activation of IRF3 and NF-kappaB downstream of MAVS through the recruitment of NEMO. TRAF5 may be a key molecule in the innate response against viral infection. ..
- Shin B, Dai Y, Thamotharan M, Gibson L, Devaskar S. Pre- and postnatal calorie restriction perturbs early hypothalamic neuropeptide and energy balance. J Neurosci Res. 2012;90:1169-82 pubmed publisher..We conclude that IUGR results in sex-specific leptin resistance observed mainly in females, whereas PNGR and IPGR abolish this sex-specificity, setting the stage for acquiring obesity after weaning. ..
- Jaskoll T, Leo T, Witcher D, Ormestad M, Astorga J, Bringas P, et al. Sonic hedgehog signaling plays an essential role during embryonic salivary gland epithelial branching morphogenesis. Dev Dyn. 2004;229:722-32 pubmed
- Rhee K, Goureau O, Chen S, Yang X. Cytokine-induced activation of signal transducer and activator of transcription in photoreceptor precursors regulates rod differentiation in the developing mouse retina. J Neurosci. 2004;24:9779-88 pubmed
- Song H, Nie M, Qiao F, Bowie J, Courey A. Antagonistic regulation of Yan nuclear export by Mae and Crm1 may increase the stringency of the Ras response. Genes Dev. 2005;19:1767-72 pubmed..After activation, transcriptional up-regulation of Mae apparently leads to complete depolymerization and export of Yan. ..
- Singh R, Artaza J, Taylor W, Braga M, Yuan X, Gonzalez Cadavid N, et al. Testosterone inhibits adipogenic differentiation in 3T3-L1 cells: nuclear translocation of androgen receptor complex with beta-catenin and T-cell factor 4 may bypass canonical Wnt signaling to down-regulate adipogenic transcription factors. Endocrinology. 2006;147:141-54 pubmed..These data provide evidence for a regulatory role for androgens in inhibiting adipogenic differentiation and a mechanistic explanation consistent with the observed reduction in fat mass in men treated with androgens. ..
- Ben Shlomo A, Pichurin O, Barshop N, Wawrowsky K, Taylor J, Culler M, et al. Selective regulation of somatostatin receptor subtype signaling: evidence for constitutive receptor activation. Mol Endocrinol. 2007;21:2565-78 pubmed
- Saxe J, Tomilin A, Scholer H, Plath K, Huang J. Post-translational regulation of Oct4 transcriptional activity. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e4467 pubmed publisher..These results provide a mechanism for rapid and reversible alteration of Oct4 transactivation potential in response to extracellular signals. ..
- Winder T, Lenz H. Vascular endothelial growth factor and epidermal growth factor signaling pathways as therapeutic targets for colorectal cancer. Gastroenterology. 2010;138:2163-76 pubmed publisher..We review the most recent data on the VEGF and EGFR signaling pathways and therapeutic reagents designed to target them, provide insights into their mechanisms, and describe results from recent clinical trials. ..
- Soliman A, Michelsen K, Karahashi H, Lu J, Meng F, Qu X, et al. Platelet-activating factor induces TLR4 expression in intestinal epithelial cells: implication for the pathogenesis of necrotizing enterocolitis. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e15044 pubmed publisher..Our findings provide evidence for a mechanism by which PAF augments inflammation in the intestinal epithelium through abnormal TLR4 upregulation, thereby contributing to the intestinal injury of NEC. ..
- Karagiannides I, Stavrakis D, Bakirtzi K, Kokkotou E, Pirtskhalava T, Nayeb Hashemi H, et al. Substance P (SP)-neurokinin-1 receptor (NK-1R) alters adipose tissue responses to high-fat diet and insulin action. Endocrinology. 2011;152:2197-205 pubmed publisher..Our results highlight this pathway as an important therapeutic approach for type 2 diabetes. ..
- Hong C, Kidani Y, A Gonzalez N, Phung T, Ito A, Rong X, et al. Coordinate regulation of neutrophil homeostasis by liver X receptors in mice. J Clin Invest. 2012;122:337-47 pubmed publisher..These results provide mechanistic insight into the molecular events orchestrating neutrophil homeostasis and advance our understanding of LXRs as integrators of phagocyte function, lipid metabolism, and cytokine gene expression. ..
- Lee A, Delgado A, Gunsalus R. Signal-dependent phosphorylation of the membrane-bound NarX two-component sensor-transmitter protein of Escherichia coli: nitrate elicits a superior anion ligand response compared to nitrite. J Bacteriol. 1999;181:5309-16 pubmed
- Imasato A, Desbois Mouthon C, Han J, Kai H, Cato A, Akira S, et al. Inhibition of p38 MAPK by glucocorticoids via induction of MAPK phosphatase-1 enhances nontypeable Haemophilus influenzae-induced expression of toll-like receptor 2. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:47444-50 pubmed
- Mandal L, Banerjee U, Hartenstein V. Evidence for a fruit fly hemangioblast and similarities between lymph-gland hematopoiesis in fruit fly and mammal aorta-gonadal-mesonephros mesoderm. Nat Genet. 2004;36:1019-23 pubmed..Our findings suggest that there is a close parallel between the molecular mechanisms functioning in the D. melanogaster cardiogenic mesoderm and those functioning in the mammalian aorta-gonadal-mesonephros mesoderm...
- Shi G, Chen J, Concepcion F, Motamedchaboki K, Marjoram P, Langen R, et al. Light causes phosphorylation of nonactivated visual pigments in intact mouse rod photoreceptor cells. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:41184-91 pubmed..These results may also have implications for other GPCR signaling pathways. ..
- Cloughesy T, Yoshimoto K, Nghiemphu P, Brown K, Dang J, Zhu S, et al. Antitumor activity of rapamycin in a Phase I trial for patients with recurrent PTEN-deficient glioblastoma. PLoS Med. 2008;5:e8 pubmed publisher..The short-term treatment endpoints used in this neoadjuvant trial design identified the importance of monitoring target inhibition and negative feedback to guide future clinical development. http://www.ClinicalTrials.gov (#NCT00047073). ..
- Bakirtzi K, Hatziapostolou M, Karagiannides I, Polytarchou C, Jaeger S, Iliopoulos D, et al. Neurotensin signaling activates microRNAs-21 and -155 and Akt, promotes tumor growth in mice, and is increased in human colon tumors. Gastroenterology. 2011;141:1749-61.e1 pubmed publisher..Levels of NTR1, miR-21, and miR-155 increase in human colon tumor samples and correlate with tumor stage. ..
- Iwata J, Hacia J, Suzuki A, Sanchez Lara P, Urata M, Chai Y. Modulation of noncanonical TGF-? signaling prevents cleft palate in Tgfbr2 mutant mice. J Clin Invest. 2012;122:873-85 pubmed publisher..Thus, modulation of TGF-? signaling may be beneficial for the prevention of congenital craniofacial birth defects. ..
- Plouhinec J, De Robertis E. Systems biology of the self-regulating morphogenetic gradient of the Xenopus gastrula. Cold Spring Harb Perspect Biol. 2009;1:a001701 pubmed publisher..This allows cells on one side of a gastrula containing about 10,000 cells to communicate with cells in the opposite pole of the embryo. ..
- Mendez A, Lem J, Simon M, Chen J. Light-dependent translocation of arrestin in the absence of rhodopsin phosphorylation and transducin signaling. J Neurosci. 2003;23:3124-9 pubmed..These results exclude passive diffusion and point toward active transport as the mechanism for light-dependent arrestin movement in rod photoreceptor cells. ..
- Wong W, Chen K, Shih J. Decreased methylation and transcription repressor Sp3 up-regulated human monoamine oxidase (MAO) B expression during Caco-2 differentiation. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:36227-35 pubmed..These results suggested that MAO B gene expression is selectively induced by a decreased Sp3/Sp1 ratio and reduced DNA methylation. This new information may provide insights on the tissue-specific expression of these two isoenzymes. ..
- Zelcer N, Tontonoz P. Liver X receptors as integrators of metabolic and inflammatory signaling. J Clin Invest. 2006;116:607-14 pubmed..The ability of LXRs to integrate metabolic and inflammatory signaling makes them particularly attractive targets for intervention in human metabolic disease. ..
- Zhu N, Wang J, Tsukamoto H. The Necdin-Wnt pathway causes epigenetic peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma repression in hepatic stellate cells. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:30463-71 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate a novel necdin-Wnt pathway, which serves to mediate antiadipogenic HSC trans-differentiation via epigenetic repression of PPAR?. ..
- Koon H, Shih D, Chen J, Bakirtzi K, Hing T, Law I, et al. Cathelicidin signaling via the Toll-like receptor protects against colitis in mice. Gastroenterology. 2011;141:1852-63.e1-3 pubmed publisher..Increased expression of cathelicidin in monocytes and experimental models of colitis involves activation of TLR9-ERK signaling by bacterial DNA. This pathway might be involved in the pathogenesis of ulcerative colitis. ..
- Stengel A, Wang L, TACHE Y. Stress-related alterations of acyl and desacyl ghrelin circulating levels: mechanisms and functional implications. Peptides. 2011;32:2208-17 pubmed publisher..A better understanding of these mechanisms will allow targeting components of ghrelin signaling that may improve food intake and gastric motility alterations induced by stress. ..
- Soares H, Ni Y, Kisfalvi K, Sinnett Smith J, Rozengurt E. Different patterns of Akt and ERK feedback activation in response to rapamycin, active-site mTOR inhibitors and metformin in pancreatic cancer cells. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e57289 pubmed publisher..Thus, the effects of metformin on Akt and ERK activation are strikingly different from allosteric or active-site mTOR inhibitors in PDAC cells, though all these agents potently inhibited the mTORC1/S6K axis. ..
- Phagoo S, Reddi K, Anderson K, Leeb Lundberg L, Warburton D. Bradykinin B1 receptor up-regulation by interleukin-1beta and B1 agonist occurs through independent and synergistic intracellular signaling mechanisms in human lung fibroblasts. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2001;298:77-85 pubmed..Thus, kinins may exert a pivotal role in maintaining and modulating feed-forward inflammatory processes in the lung. ..
- Yuan J, Slice L, Rozengurt E. Activation of protein kinase D by signaling through Rho and the alpha subunit of the heterotrimeric G protein G13. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:38619-27 pubmed
- Slice L, Han S, Simon M. Galphaq signaling is required for Rho-dependent transcriptional activation of the cyclooxygenase-2 promoter in fibroblasts. J Cell Physiol. 2003;194:127-38 pubmed..These results demonstrate that calcium signaling mediated by Galpha(q) and Rho play critical roles in GRP-dependent COX-2 expression in fibroblasts. ..
- Goldberg M, Han Y, Yan C, Shaw M, Garner W. TNF-alpha suppresses alpha-smooth muscle actin expression in human dermal fibroblasts: an implication for abnormal wound healing. J Invest Dermatol. 2007;127:2645-55 pubmed..Therefore, the balance of cytokines in a wound defines the mechanical properties of the extracellular matrix and optimal wound healing. ..
- Askanas V, Engel W. Inclusion-body myositis, a multifactorial muscle disease associated with aging: current concepts of pathogenesis. Curr Opin Rheumatol. 2007;19:550-9 pubmed..About 100 papers related to the subject were published in 2006 and the first part of 2007 (we cite only articles most relevant to this review)...
- Shinohara M, Ybanez M, Win S, Than T, Jain S, Gaarde W, et al. Silencing glycogen synthase kinase-3beta inhibits acetaminophen hepatotoxicity and attenuates JNK activation and loss of glutamate cysteine ligase and myeloid cell leukemia sequence 1. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:8244-55 pubmed publisher..Taken together our results suggest that activation of GSK-3beta is a key mediator of the initial phase of APAP-induced liver injury through modulating GCL and Mcl-1 degradation, as well as JNK activation in liver. ..
- Carico C, Nuno M, Mukherjee D, Elramsisy A, Dantis J, Hu J, et al. Loss of PTEN is not associated with poor survival in newly diagnosed glioblastoma patients of the temozolomide era. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e33684 pubmed publisher..Additionally, there is evidence that temozolomide may be more effective in eradicating GBM cancer cells with PTEN loss and hence, level the outcomes between the PTEN retained and loss groups. ..
- Ma H, Qazi S, Ozer Z, Zhang J, Ishkhanian R, Uckun F. Regulatory phosphorylation of Ikaros by Bruton's tyrosine kinase. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e71302 pubmed publisher..Our results further demonstrate that BTK-induced activating phosphorylation is critical for the optimal transcription factor function of Ikaros. ..
- Lin D, Hao J, Nagata Y, Xu L, Shang L, Meng X, et al. Genomic and molecular characterization of esophageal squamous cell carcinoma. Nat Genet. 2014;46:467-73 pubmed publisher..Our integrated study unmasks a number of novel genetic lesions in ESCC and provides an important molecular foundation for understanding esophageal tumors and developing therapeutic targets. ..
- Ketefian A, Jones M, Krauss R, Chen Y, Legro R, Azziz R, et al. Association study of androgen signaling pathway genes in polycystic ovary syndrome. Fertil Steril. 2016;105:467-73.e4 pubmed publisher..The remaining genes studied do not seem to be major contributors to the development of PCOS. These findings warrant confirmation in future studies, and genes encoding other androgen pathway components remain to be studied. ..
- Dhar G, Faull K, Schneewind O. Anchor structure of cell wall surface proteins in Listeria monocytogenes. Biochemistry. 2000;39:3725-33 pubmed..These results reveal that the cell wall anchoring of surface proteins in Gram-positive bacteria such as S. aureus and L. monocytogenes occurs by a universal mechanism...
- Chang J, Mellon E, Schanen N, Twiss J. Persistent TrkA activity is necessary to maintain transcription in neuronally differentiated PC12 cells. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:42877-85 pubmed..Interestingly, the initial response of the cyclic AMP response element promoter to NGF was delayed, becoming Trk-dependent well beyond the peaks in TrkA and downstream protein kinase signal transduction. ..
- Tavor S, Park D, Gery S, Vuong P, Gombart A, Koeffler H. Restoration of C/EBPalpha expression in a BCR-ABL+ cell line induces terminal granulocytic differentiation. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:52651-9 pubmed
- Li W, Fan J, Chen M, Guan S, Sawcer D, Bokoch G, et al. Mechanism of human dermal fibroblast migration driven by type I collagen and platelet-derived growth factor-BB. Mol Biol Cell. 2004;15:294-309 pubmed..The experiments demonstrate 1) the genes' individual roles and specificities, 2) their combined effects and sufficiency, and 3) the mechanisms of their intermolecular connections in HDF migration driven by collagen and PDGF-BB. ..
- Zhu Q, Qian B, Levy D. CCAAT/enhancer-binding protein alpha (C/EBPalpha) activates transcription of the human microsomal epoxide hydrolase gene (EPHX1) through the interaction with DNA-bound NF-Y. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:29902-10 pubmed..C/EBPalpha-dependent EPHX1 activation was also supported by reconstitution studies in HeLa cells that lack this protein. These results establish that EPHX1 expression is regulated by C/EBPalpha interacting with DNA-bound NF-Y. ..
- Zhang J, Baines C, Zong C, Cardwell E, Wang G, Vondriska T, et al. Functional proteomic analysis of a three-tier PKCepsilon-Akt-eNOS signaling module in cardiac protection. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2005;288:H954-61 pubmed
- Xu Q, Yuan X, Liu G, Black K, Yu J. Hedgehog signaling regulates brain tumor-initiating cell proliferation and portends shorter survival for patients with PTEN-coexpressing glioblastomas. Stem Cells. 2008;26:3018-26 pubmed publisher..Thus, distinct proliferation signaling dependence may underpin glioblastoma propagation by BTSCs. Modeling these BTSC proliferation mechanisms may provide a rationale for individualized glioblastoma treatment. ..
- Mouillesseaux K, Chen J. Mutation in utp15 disrupts vascular patterning in a p53-dependent manner in zebrafish embryos. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e25013 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our data demonstrate an early embryonic effect of Utp15 deficiency on cell survival and the normal patterning of the vasculature and highlight an anti-angiogenic role of p53 in developing embryos. ..
- Shabaik Y, Millard M, Neamati N. Mechanistic evaluation of a novel small molecule targeting mitochondria in pancreatic cancer cells. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e54346 pubmed publisher..TP421 is a representative compound of a new promising class of mitochondrial-targeted agents useful for pancreatic cancer treatment. Because of their unique mechanism of action and efficacy further development is warranted. ..
- Scarbrough P, Weber R, Iversen E, Brhane Y, Amos C, Kraft P, et al. A Cross-Cancer Genetic Association Analysis of the DNA Repair and DNA Damage Signaling Pathways for Lung, Ovary, Prostate, Breast, and Colorectal Cancer. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2016;25:193-200 pubmed publisher..Results suggest that many common variants in DNA repair genes are likely associated with cancer susceptibility through small effect sizes that do not meet stringent significance testing criteria. ..
- Vargas A, Kim H, Baral E, Yu W, CRAFT C, Lee E. Protective effect of clusterin on rod photoreceptor in rat model of retinitis pigmentosa. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0182389 pubmed publisher..Novel insights into the pathway of how clusterin promotes the rod cell survival suggest this treatment may be a potential therapeutic strategy to slow progression of vision loss in human RP. ..
- Aspuria P, Sato T, Tamanoi F. The TSC/Rheb/TOR signaling pathway in fission yeast and mammalian cells: temperature sensitive and constitutive active mutants of TOR. Cell Cycle. 2007;6:1692-5 pubmed..Introduction of Tor2 activating mutations into mTOR conferred nutrient independent activation of mTOR. Interestingly, these studies point to regions of TOR kinase important for its function. ..
- Bansal R, Peterson B, Gingrich J, Hao X, Odgerel Z, Warner V, et al. Serotonin signaling modulates the effects of familial risk for depression on cortical thickness. Psychiatry Res Neuroimaging. 2016;248:83-93 pubmed publisher..The opposing gene effects across the two risk groups were likely due to either epistatic effects and/or differing modulation of the neural plasticity by the altered 5-HT signaling in utero. ..
- Hill R, Wu H. PTEN, stem cells, and cancer stem cells. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:11755-9 pubmed publisher..It has become clear recently that PTEN (phosphatase and tensin homologue) is also critical for stem cell maintenance and that PTEN loss can cause the development of cancer stem cells and ultimately tumorigenesis. ..
- Rothenberg E, UngerbÃ¤ck J, Champhekar A. Forging T-Lymphocyte Identity: Intersecting Networks of Transcriptional Control. Adv Immunol. 2016;129:109-74 pubmed publisher..1 and GATA-3, PU.1-Notch competition, the relationship between PU.1 and GATA-3, and the roles of E proteins, Bcl11b, and GATA-3 in guiding acquisition of T-cell identity while avoiding redirection to an ILC fate. ..
- Singer E, Emerson D, Webb E, Barco R, Kuenen J, Nelson W, et al. Mariprofundus ferrooxydans PV-1 the first genome of a marine Fe(II) oxidizing Zetaproteobacterium. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e25386 pubmed publisher..This study has provided novel insights into the molecular nature of Zetaproteobacteria...
- Wu R, Schonthal A. Activation of p53-p21waf1 pathway in response to disruption of cell-matrix interactions. J Biol Chem. 1997;272:29091-8 pubmed..This p53-regulated pathway may constitute one of a few redundant systems to ensure proper cell control in multicellular organisms. ..
- Kawabata H, Yang R, Hirama T, Vuong P, Kawano S, Gombart A, et al. Molecular cloning of transferrin receptor 2. A new member of the transferrin receptor-like family. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:20826-32 pubmed..Also, these cells had a marked increase in Tf-bound (55)Fe uptake. Taken together, TfR2-alpha may be a second transferrin receptor that can mediate cellular iron transport. ..
- Joseph S, Castrillo A, Laffitte B, Mangelsdorf D, Tontonoz P. Reciprocal regulation of inflammation and lipid metabolism by liver X receptors. Nat Med. 2003;9:213-9 pubmed..These findings identify LXRs as lipid-dependent regulators of inflammatory gene expression that may serve to link lipid metabolism and immune functions in macrophages. ..
- Chen L, Zeng Y, Yang H, Lee T, French S, Corrales F, et al. Impaired liver regeneration in mice lacking methionine adenosyltransferase 1A. FASEB J. 2004;18:914-6 pubmed..Taken together, our findings define a critical role for SAMe in ERK signaling and cyclin D1 regulation during regeneration and suggest chronic hepatic SAMe depletion results in loss of responsiveness to mitogenic signals. ..
- Chen J, Shi G, Concepcion F, Xie G, Oprian D, Chen J. Stable rhodopsin/arrestin complex leads to retinal degeneration in a transgenic mouse model of autosomal dominant retinitis pigmentosa. J Neurosci. 2006;26:11929-37 pubmed..Accumulation of stable rhodopsin/arrestin complex in the inner segment may be an important mechanism for triggering the cell death pathway in the mammalian photoreceptor cell...
- Jiang X, Sinnett Smith J, Rozengurt E. Differential FAK phosphorylation at Ser-910, Ser-843 and Tyr-397 induced by angiotensin II, LPA and EGF in intestinal epithelial cells. Cell Signal. 2007;19:1000-10 pubmed..Our results indicate that Ser-910 and Ser-843, rather than Tyr-397, are prominent sites differentially phosphorylated in response to neurotransmitters, bioactive lipids, tumor promoters and growth factors in intestinal epithelial cells. ..
- Hendrata M, Birnir B. Dynamic-energy-budget-driven fruiting-body formation in myxobacteria. Phys Rev E Stat Nonlin Soft Matter Phys. 2010;81:061902 pubmed..This inclusion successfully automates the phase transition in our simulation. Only one parameter, namely, the food density, controls the entire simulation of the life cycle. ..
- James A, Pang S, Askarinam A, Corselli M, Zara J, Goyal R, et al. Additive effects of sonic hedgehog and Nell-1 signaling in osteogenic versus adipogenic differentiation of human adipose-derived stromal cells. Stem Cells Dev. 2012;21:2170-8 pubmed publisher..These studies suggest that the combination cytokines SHH-N+NELL-1 may represent a viable future technique for inducing the osteogenic differentiation of MSCs. ..