Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on sigma factor in Berkeley, California, United States
Locale: Berkeley, California, United States
Topic: sigma factor
- Mytelka D, Chamberlin M. Escherichia coli fliAZY operon. J Bacteriol. 1996;178:24-34 pubmed..FliZ and FliY are not required for motility but may regulate sigma F activity, perhaps in response to a putative cell density signal that may be detected by FliY, a member of the bacterial extracellular solute-binding protein family 3. ..
- Joo D, Ng N, Calendar R. A sigma32 mutant with a single amino acid change in the highly conserved region 2.2 exhibits reduced core RNA polymerase affinity. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1997;94:4907-12 pubmed..Based on these results, we conclude that at least one specific amino acid in region 2.2 is involved in core RNAP interaction. ..
- Santero E, Hoover T, North A, Berger D, Porter S, Kustu S. Role of integration host factor in stimulating transcription from the sigma 54-dependent nifH promoter. J Mol Biol. 1992;227:602-20 pubmed
- Mirel D, Lustre V, Chamberlin M. An operon of Bacillus subtilis motility genes transcribed by the sigma D form of RNA polymerase. J Bacteriol. 1992;174:4197-204 pubmed..coli and Salmonella typhimurium, and these factors appear to be representative of a family of factors implicated in flagellar synthesis in many bacterial species, which we propose to designate the sigma 28 family. ..
- Mirel D, Chamberlin M. The Bacillus subtilis flagellin gene (hag) is transcribed by the sigma 28 form of RNA polymerase. J Bacteriol. 1989;171:3095-101 pubmed..subtilis cells entered the stationary phase. The transcript levels then decreased to zero within 4 h after the onset of sporulation. Hence, sigma 28 RNA polymerase function is temporally regulated. ..
- Helmann J, Marquez L, Chamberlin M. Cloning, sequencing, and disruption of the Bacillus subtilis sigma 28 gene. J Bacteriol. 1988;170:1568-74 pubmed..Since the flbB gene product is a positive regulator of flagellar synthesis in E. coli, it is likely that sigma 28 functions to regulate flagellar synthesis in B. subtilis. ..
- Joo D, Nolte A, Calendar R, Zhou Y, Jin D. Multiple regions on the Escherichia coli heat shock transcription factor sigma32 determine core RNA polymerase binding specificity. J Bacteriol. 1998;180:1095-102 pubmed..2, and the other was in a region conserved only among heat shock sigma factors. These data suggest that there is more than one core RNAP binding region in sigma32 and that differences in contact sites probably exist among sigma factors. ..
- Gyaneshwar P, Paliy O, McAuliffe J, Jones A, Jordan M, Kustu S. Lessons from Escherichia coli genes similarly regulated in response to nitrogen and sulfur limitation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005;102:3453-8 pubmed..coli grown aerobically in minimal medium. Responses of metE to S and N limitation pointed to an interesting physiological rationale for the regulatory subcircuit controlled by the methionine activator MetR. ..
- Popham D, Keener J, Kustu S. Purification of the alternative sigma factor, sigma 54, from Salmonella typhimurium and characterization of sigma 54-holoenzyme. J Biol Chem. 1991;266:19510-8 pubmed..We have determined the complete nucleotide sequence of the gene encoding sigma 54 (ntrA) in Salmonella. ..
- Calendar R, Erickson J, Halling C, Nolte A. Deletion and insertion mutations in the rpoH gene of Escherichia coli that produce functional sigma 32. J Bacteriol. 1988;170:3479-84 pubmed..5% of the wild-type level at 30 degrees C. However, the mRNA from several heat shock promoters was decreased only twofold, suggesting that the strain has a significant amount of sigma 32. ..
- Márquez Magaña L, Chamberlin M. Characterization of the sigD transcription unit of Bacillus subtilis. J Bacteriol. 1994;176:2427-34 pubmed..These results indicate that wild-type transcription of sigD is dependent on promoter sequences > 24kb upstream of its structural gene and that the entire fla/che region forms a single operon. ..
- Shi W, Bogdanov M, Dowhan W, Zusman D. The pss and psd genes are required for motility and chemotaxis in Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 1993;175:7711-4 pubmed
- Doucleff M, Malak L, Pelton J, Wemmer D. The C-terminal RpoN domain of sigma54 forms an unpredicted helix-turn-helix motif similar to domains of sigma70. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:41530-6 pubmed publisher..The homology of this structure with other DNA-binding proteins, combined with previous biochemical data, suggests how the C-terminal domain of sigma54 binds to DNA...