Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on rna interference in San Francisco, California, United States
Locale: San Francisco, California, United States
Topic: rna interference
- Hislop J, Marley A, von Zastrow M. Role of mammalian vacuolar protein-sorting proteins in endocytic trafficking of a non-ubiquitinated G protein-coupled receptor to lysosomes. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:22522-31 pubmed
- Larson M, Gilbert L, Wang X, Lim W, Weissman J, Qi L. CRISPR interference (CRISPRi) for sequence-specific control of gene expression. Nat Protoc. 2013;8:2180-96 pubmed publisher..The method can also be adapted for high-throughput interrogation of genome-wide gene functions and genetic interactions, thus providing a complementary approach to RNA interference, which can be used in a wider variety of organisms. ..
- Stanley D, Bartholomeeusen K, Crosby D, Kim D, Kwon E, Yen L, et al. Inhibition of a NEDD8 Cascade Restores Restriction of HIV by APOBEC3G. PLoS Pathog. 2012;8:e1003085 pubmed publisher..These studies demonstrate that disrupting host NEDD8 cascades presents a novel antiretroviral therapeutic approach enhancing the ability of the immune system to combat HIV. ..
- Zaman M, Thamminana S, Shahryari V, Chiyomaru T, Deng G, Saini S, et al. Inhibition of PTEN gene expression by oncogenic miR-23b-3p in renal cancer. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e50203 pubmed publisher..The current study shows that miR-23b-3p is an oncogenic miRNA and inhibits PTEN tumor suppressor gene in RCC. Therefore, inhibition of miR-23b-3p may be a useful therapeutic target for the treatment of renal cell carcinoma. ..
- Pinkston Gosse J, Kenyon C. DAF-16/FOXO targets genes that regulate tumor growth in Caenorhabditis elegans. Nat Genet. 2007;39:1403-9 pubmed
- Dijkers P, O Farrell P. Drosophila calcineurin promotes induction of innate immune responses. Curr Biol. 2007;17:2087-93 pubmed..Thus, CanA1 provides an additional input into Relish-promoted immune responses and functions in hemocytes to promote a tissue-to-tissue signaling cascade required for robust immune response. ..
- Roguev A, Talbot D, Negri G, Shales M, Cagney G, Bandyopadhyay S, et al. Quantitative genetic-interaction mapping in mammalian cells. Nat Methods. 2013;10:432-7 pubmed publisher..By integrating GI and PPI data, we created a functional map of chromatin complexes in mouse fibroblasts, revealing that the PAF complex is a central player in the mammalian chromatin landscape. ..
- Rougemaille M, Shankar S, Braun S, Rowley M, Madhani H. Ers1, a rapidly diverging protein essential for RNA interference-dependent heterochromatic silencing in Schizosaccharomyces pombe. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:25770-3 pubmed publisher..Surprisingly, Ers1 lacks obvious orthologs outside of the genus Schizosaccharomyces. Within this group, it is diverging rapidly, raising the possibility that it is coevolving with target RNA elements. ..
- Broaddus V, Dansen T, Abayasiriwardana K, Wilson S, Finch A, Swigart L, et al. Bid mediates apoptotic synergy between tumor necrosis factor-related apoptosis-inducing ligand (TRAIL) and DNA damage. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:12486-93 pubmed..Such studies indicate how the adroit combination of differing proapoptotic and sublethal signals can provide an effective strategy for treating refractory tumors. ..
- Roll Mecak A, Vale R. The Drosophila homologue of the hereditary spastic paraplegia protein, spastin, severs and disassembles microtubules. Curr Biol. 2005;15:650-5 pubmed..We show that D-spastin, like katanin, displays ATPase activity and uses energy from ATP hydrolysis to sever and disassemble microtubules; disease mutations abolish or partially interfere with these activities...
- Guo Y, Walther T, Rao M, Stuurman N, Goshima G, Terayama K, et al. Functional genomic screen reveals genes involved in lipid-droplet formation and utilization. Nature. 2008;453:657-61 pubmed publisher..These phenotypes are conserved in mammalian cells, suggesting that insights from these studies are likely to be central to our understanding of human diseases involving excessive lipid storage. ..
- Kim H, Raphael A, LADOW E, McGurk L, Weber R, Trojanowski J, et al. Therapeutic modulation of eIF2? phosphorylation rescues TDP-43 toxicity in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis disease models. Nat Genet. 2014;46:152-60 pubmed publisher..These findings indicate that the dysfunction induced by prolonged stress granule formation might contribute directly to ALS and that compounds that mitigate this process may represent a novel therapeutic approach. ..
- Santos M, Park C, Foss S, Li H, Voglmaier S. Sorting of the vesicular GABA transporter to functional vesicle pools by an atypical dileucine-like motif. J Neurosci. 2013;33:10634-46 pubmed publisher..Real-time imaging with a VGAT-pHluorin fusion provides a useful approach to explore how unique sorting sequences target individual proteins to synaptic vesicles with distinct functional properties. ..
- Elias L, Turmaine M, Parnavelas J, Kriegstein A. Connexin 43 mediates the tangential to radial migratory switch in ventrally derived cortical interneurons. J Neurosci. 2010;30:7072-7 pubmed publisher..These findings provide mechanistic and structural support for a gap junction-mediated interaction between migrating interneurons and radial glia during the switch from tangential to radial migration. ..
- Marina D, Shankar S, Natarajan P, Finn K, Madhani H. A conserved ncRNA-binding protein recruits silencing factors to heterochromatin through an RNAi-independent mechanism. Genes Dev. 2013;27:1851-6 pubmed publisher..Seb1 functions independently of RNAi by recruiting the NuRD (nucleosome remodeling and deacetylase)-related chromatin-modifying complex SHREC (Snf2-HDAC [histone deacetylase] repressor complex)...
- Cureton E, Ereso A, Victorino G, Curran B, Poole D, Liao M, et al. Local secretion of urocortin 1 promotes microvascular permeability during lipopolysaccharide-induced inflammation. Endocrinology. 2009;150:5428-37 pubmed publisher..Ucn1's effect on L(p) is partially mediated by the CRH-R(2) receptor and acts independently of the c-JUN N-terminal kinase signal transduction pathway. ..
- Casso D, Biehs B, Kornberg T. A novel interaction between hedgehog and Notch promotes proliferation at the anterior-posterior organizer of the Drosophila wing. Genetics. 2011;187:485-99 pubmed publisher..This work thus reveals a novel collaboration by the Hedgehog and Notch pathways that regulates proliferation in the 3-4 intervein region independently of Decapentaplegic. ..
- Seif T, Chang S, Simms J, Gibb S, Dadgar J, Chen B, et al. Cortical activation of accumbens hyperpolarization-active NMDARs mediates aversion-resistant alcohol intake. Nat Neurosci. 2013;16:1094-100 pubmed publisher..Our results identify a mechanism by which hyperpolarization-active NMDA receptors under mPFC- and insula-to-NAcore inputs sustain aversion-resistant alcohol intake. ..
- Gaspar Maia A, Alajem A, Polesso F, Sridharan R, Mason M, Heidersbach A, et al. Chd1 regulates open chromatin and pluripotency of embryonic stem cells. Nature. 2009;460:863-8 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that Chd1 is essential for open chromatin and pluripotency of embryonic stem cells, and for somatic cell reprogramming to the pluripotent state. ..
- Marley A, von Zastrow M. Dysbindin promotes the post-endocytic sorting of G protein-coupled receptors to lysosomes. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e9325 pubmed publisher..These results identify a distinct, and potentially widespread function of dysbindin in promoting the sorting of specific GPCRs to lysosomes after endocytosis. ..
- Yuan Q, Song Y, Yang C, Jan L, Jan Y. Female contact modulates male aggression via a sexually dimorphic GABAergic circuit in Drosophila. Nat Neurosci. 2014;17:81-8 pubmed publisher..We propose that the GABAergic inhibition represents a critical cellular mechanism that enables prior experience to modulate aggression. ..
- Huang N, Miller W. LBP proteins modulate SF1-independent expression of P450scc in human placental JEG-3 cells. Mol Endocrinol. 2005;19:409-20 pubmed..LBP-1b is an important SF1-independent transcriptional activator stimulating P450scc expression in human placental JEG-3 cells, whereas LBP-9 modulates the action of LBP-1b, exerting both positive and negative effects. ..
- Kwon C, Cheng P, King I, Andersen P, Shenje L, Nigam V, et al. Notch post-translationally regulates ?-catenin protein in stem and progenitor cells. Nat Cell Biol. 2011;13:1244-51 pubmed publisher..It did, however, require the endocytic adaptor protein Numb and lysosomal activity. This study reveals a previously unrecognized function of Notch in negatively titrating active ?-catenin protein levels in stem and progenitor cells. ..
- Ueno K, Hirata H, Majid S, Yamamura S, Shahryari V, Tabatabai Z, et al. Tumor suppressor microRNA-493 decreases cell motility and migration ability in human bladder cancer cells by downregulating RhoC and FZD4. Mol Cancer Ther. 2012;11:244-53 pubmed publisher..miR-493 also decreased binding of RhoC and Rock-1. miR-493 is a new tumor suppressor miRNA in bladder cancer and inhibits cell motility through downregulation of RhoC and FZD4. ..
- Stefanic S, Dvorak J, Horn M, Braschi S, Sojka D, Ruelas D, et al. RNA interference in Schistosoma mansoni schistosomula: selectivity, sensitivity and operation for larger-scale screening. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2010;4:e850 pubmed publisher..Transient RNAi operates gene-selectively in S. mansoni newly transformed schistosomula yet the sensitivity of individual gene targets varies. These findings and the operational parameters defined will facilitate larger RNAi screens. ..
- Murphy C, McCarroll S, Bargmann C, Fraser A, Kamath R, Ahringer J, et al. Genes that act downstream of DAF-16 to influence the lifespan of Caenorhabditis elegans. Nature. 2003;424:277-83 pubmed
- Hirata H, Ueno K, Shahryari V, Deng G, Tanaka Y, Tabatabai Z, et al. MicroRNA-182-5p promotes cell invasion and proliferation by down regulating FOXF2, RECK and MTSS1 genes in human prostate cancer. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e55502 pubmed publisher..Also knock down of miR-182-5p in order to increase expression of tumor suppressor genes FOXF2, RECK and MTSS1 may be of therapeutic benefit in prostate cancer treatment. ..
- Mackey Z, O Brien T, Greenbaum D, Blank R, McKerrow J. A cathepsin B-like protease is required for host protein degradation in Trypanosoma brucei. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:48426-33 pubmed..Therefore, tbcatB, but not rhodesain, is essential for T. brucei survival in culture and is the most likely target of the diazomethane protease inhibitor Z-Phe-Ala-CHN(2) in T. brucei...
- Hwang L, Seth E, Gilmore S, Sil A. SRE1 regulates iron-dependent and -independent pathways in the fungal pathogen Histoplasma capsulatum. Eukaryot Cell. 2012;11:16-25 pubmed publisher..These data highlight the evolving realization that the effect of Sre1 orthologs on fungal biology extends beyond the iron regulon. ..
- Nayak A, Berry B, Tassetto M, Kunitomi M, Acevedo A, Deng C, et al. Cricket paralysis virus antagonizes Argonaute 2 to modulate antiviral defense in Drosophila. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2010;17:547-54 pubmed publisher..In contrast, Sindbis pathogenesis was only modestly increased by expression of DCV- 1A. We conclude that RNAi suppressors function as virulence factors in insects and can target the Drosophila RNAi pathway at different points. ..
- Foss S, Li H, Santos M, Edwards R, Voglmaier S. Multiple dileucine-like motifs direct VGLUT1 trafficking. J Neurosci. 2013;33:10647-60 pubmed publisher..Consistent with these differences in trafficking signals, wild-type VGLUT1 and VGLUT2 differ in their response to stimulation. ..
- Rodriguez R, Velkey J, Lutzko C, Seerke R, Kohn D, O Shea K, et al. Manipulation of OCT4 levels in human embryonic stem cells results in induction of differential cell types. Exp Biol Med (Maywood). 2007;232:1368-80 pubmed..Thus, both upregulation and downregulation of Oct4 in hESCs results in differentiation, but with patterns distinct from parallel experiments in mice. ..
- Wang Y, Guan S, Acharya P, Liu Y, Thirumaran R, Brandman R, et al. Multisite phosphorylation of human liver cytochrome P450 3A4 enhances Its gp78- and CHIP-mediated ubiquitination: a pivotal role of its Ser-478 residue in the gp78-catalyzed reaction. Mol Cell Proteomics. 2012;11:M111.010132 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our findings underscore the interplay between protein phosphorylation and ubiquitination in ERAD and, to our knowledge, provide the very first example of gp78 substrate recognition via protein phosphorylation. ..
- McCleland M, O Farrell P. RNAi of mitotic cyclins in Drosophila uncouples the nuclear and centrosome cycle. Curr Biol. 2008;18:245-54 pubmed publisher..We suggest that high mitotic cyclin normally ensures that the centrosome cycle remains entrained to the nuclear cycle. ..
- Kane A, Sughrue M, Rutkowski M, Phillips J, Parsa A. EMR-3: a potential mediator of invasive phenotypic variation in glioblastoma and novel therapeutic target. Neuroreport. 2010;21:1018-22 pubmed publisher..EMR-3 is a potential mediator of cellular invasion in GBM. Given the poor survival associated with high levels of EMR-3 expression in glioma patients, our results provide impetus to explore EMR-3 as a potential therapeutic target. ..
- Worringer K, Panning B. Zinc finger protein Zn72D promotes productive splicing of the maleless transcript. Mol Cell Biol. 2007;27:8760-9 pubmed..Consistent with this, Zn72D colocalizes with elongating RNA polymerase II, implicating it as a more general factor involved in RNA metabolism. ..
- Gibb S, Jeanblanc J, Barak S, Yowell Q, Yaka R, Ron D. Lyn kinase regulates mesolimbic dopamine release: implication for alcohol reward. J Neurosci. 2011;31:2180-7 pubmed publisher..Together, our results suggest a novel role for Lyn kinase in the regulation of DA release in the mesolimbic system, which leads to the control of alcohol reward. ..
- Chiyomaru T, Fukuhara S, Saini S, Majid S, Deng G, Shahryari V, et al. Long non-coding RNA HOTAIR is targeted and regulated by miR-141 in human cancer cells. J Biol Chem. 2014;289:12550-65 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that HOTAIR is suppressed by miR-141 in an Ago2-dependent manner. ..
- Rodriguez Viciana P, Oses Prieto J, Burlingame A, Fried M, McCormick F. A phosphatase holoenzyme comprised of Shoc2/Sur8 and the catalytic subunit of PP1 functions as an M-Ras effector to modulate Raf activity. Mol Cell. 2006;22:217-30 pubmed..We propose that the Shoc2-PP1c holoenzyme provides an attractive therapeutic target for inhibition of the MAPK pathway in cancer. ..
- Ianculescu A, Giacomini K, Scanlan T. Identification and characterization of 3-iodothyronamine intracellular transport. Endocrinology. 2009;150:1991-9 pubmed publisher..This type of transporter small interfering RNA screening approach can be used in general to identify the constellation of transporters that participate in the intracellular disposition of compounds. ..
- Li Z, Lindsay M, Motyka S, Englund P, Wang C. Identification of a bacterial-like HslVU protease in the mitochondria of Trypanosoma brucei and its role in mitochondrial DNA replication. PLoS Pathog. 2008;4:e1000048 pubmed publisher..TbHslVU is a eubacterial protease identified in the mitochondria of a eukaryote. It has a novel function in regulating mitochondrial DNA replication that has never been observed in other organisms...
- Sirkis D, Edwards R, Asensio C. Widespread dysregulation of peptide hormone release in mice lacking adaptor protein AP-3. PLoS Genet. 2013;9:e1003812 pubmed publisher..In addition, we show that loss of the related adaptor protein AP-1 has a similar effect on regulated secretion but exacerbates the effect of AP-3 RNAi, suggesting distinct roles for the two adaptors in the regulated secretory pathway. ..
- Humphrey M, Daws M, Spusta S, Niemi E, Torchia J, Lanier L, et al. TREM2, a DAP12-associated receptor, regulates osteoclast differentiation and function. J Bone Miner Res. 2006;21:237-45 pubmed..7 OCs in response to M-CSF. Our studies indicate that the TREM2 receptor regulates OC multinucleation as well as resorption and migration of mature OCs. Thus, TREM2-DAP12 signals regulate both OC formation and function. ..
- Wang J, Walker A, Blackwell T, Yamamoto K. The Caenorhabditis elegans ortholog of TRAP240, CeTRAP240/let-19, selectively modulates gene expression and is essential for embryogenesis. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:29270-7 pubmed..Interestingly, whereas this interaction has been conserved from yeast to mammals, the subcomplex modulates metazoan-specific genetic pathways, likely in addition to those also controlled in yeast. ..
- Kumar P, Wang C. Depletion of anaphase-promoting complex or cyclosome (APC/C) subunit homolog APC1 or CDC27 of Trypanosoma brucei arrests the procyclic form in metaphase but the bloodstream form in anaphase. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:31783-91 pubmed publisher..The apparent lack of functional involvement of some of the other individual structural subunit homologs of APC/C may indicate the structural uniqueness of T. brucei APC/C...
- Marley A, von Zastrow M. DISC1 regulates primary cilia that display specific dopamine receptors. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e10902 pubmed publisher..Our findings provide new insight to receptor cell biology and suggest a relationship between DISC1 and neural dopamine signaling. ..
- Sakaki Yumoto M, Liu J, Ramalho Santos M, Yoshida N, Derynck R. Smad2 is essential for maintenance of the human and mouse primed pluripotent stem cell state. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:18546-60 pubmed publisher..These findings reveal that Smad2 is a unique integrator of transcription and signaling events and is essential for the maintenance of the mouse and human primed pluripotent stem cell state. ..
- Mahoney N, Goshima G, Douglass A, Vale R. Making microtubules and mitotic spindles in cells without functional centrosomes. Curr Biol. 2006;16:564-9 pubmed..We propose that the bipolar spindle propagates its own architecture by stimulating microtubule growth, thereby augmenting the well-described microtubule nucleation pathways that take place at centrosomes and chromosomes. ..
- Chu D, Liu H, Nix P, Wu T, Ralston E, Yates J, et al. Sperm chromatin proteomics identifies evolutionarily conserved fertility factors. Nature. 2006;443:101-5 pubmed..Our list therefore provides significant opportunity to identify causes of male infertility and targets for male contraceptives. ..
- Soroceanu L, Murase R, Limbad C, Singer E, Allison J, Adrados I, et al. Id-1 is a key transcriptional regulator of glioblastoma aggressiveness and a novel therapeutic target. Cancer Res. 2013;73:1559-69 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that Id-1 regulates multiple tumor-promoting pathways in glioblastoma and that drugs targeting Id-1 represent a novel and promising strategy for improving the therapy and outcome of patients with glioblastoma. ..
- Devineni A, Eddison M, Heberlein U. The novel gene tank, a tumor suppressor homolog, regulates ethanol sensitivity in Drosophila. J Neurosci. 2013;33:8134-43 pubmed publisher..Overall, we have characterized a novel gene and corresponding set of neurons that regulate ethanol sensitivity in Drosophila. ..