Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on neurons in Irvine, California, United States
Locale: Irvine, California, United States
Publications103 found, 100 shown here
- Szabadics J, Varga C, Brunner J, Chen K, Soltesz I. Granule cells in the CA3 area. J Neurosci. 2010;30:8296-307 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that granule cells in the CA3 constitute a glutamatergic, nonprincipal neuronal subtype that is integrated into the CA3 synaptic network. ..
- Hilgenberg L, Ho K, Lee D, O Dowd D, Smith M. Agrin regulates neuronal responses to excitatory neurotransmitters in vitro and in vivo. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2002;19:97-110 pubmed..Together, these data demonstrate that agrin plays an important role in defining neuronal responses to excitatory neurotransmitters both in vitro and in vivo. ..
- Kathuria S, Gaetani S, Fegley D, Valino F, Duranti A, Tontini A, et al. Modulation of anxiety through blockade of anandamide hydrolysis. Nat Med. 2003;9:76-81 pubmed..Our results indicate that anandamide participates in the modulation of emotional states and point to fatty acid amide hydrolase inhibition as an innovative approach to anti-anxiety therapy. ..
- Szabadics J, Soltesz I. Functional specificity of mossy fiber innervation of GABAergic cells in the hippocampus. J Neurosci. 2009;29:4239-51 pubmed publisher..Together, these results reveal the diverse components and high degree of functional specificity of the GABAergic cellular machinery underlying the dentate gyrus-CA3 interface. ..
- Robertson R, Annis C, Baratta J, Haraldson S, Ingeman J, Kageyama G, et al. Do subplate neurons comprise a transient population of cells in developing neocortex of rats?. J Comp Neurol. 2000;426:632-50 pubmed
- Russo Neustadt A, Beard R, Huang Y, Cotman C. Physical activity and antidepressant treatment potentiate the expression of specific brain-derived neurotrophic factor transcripts in the rat hippocampus. Neuroscience. 2000;101:305-12 pubmed..The induction of brain-derived neurotrophic factor expression by activity/pharmacological treatment combinations could represent an important intervention for further study, to potentially improve depression treatment and management. ..
- Spampanato J, Kearney J, de Haan G, McEwen D, Escayg A, Aradi I, et al. A novel epilepsy mutation in the sodium channel SCN1A identifies a cytoplasmic domain for beta subunit interaction. J Neurosci. 2004;24:10022-34 pubmed..The D1866Y mutation weakens this interaction, demonstrating a novel molecular mechanism leading to seizure susceptibility. ..
- Demuro A, Mina E, Kayed R, Milton S, Parker I, Glabe C. Calcium dysregulation and membrane disruption as a ubiquitous neurotoxic mechanism of soluble amyloid oligomers. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:17294-300 pubmed
- Petrushina I, Ghochikyan A, Mktrichyan M, Mamikonyan G, Movsesyan N, Davtyan H, et al. Alzheimer's disease peptide epitope vaccine reduces insoluble but not soluble/oligomeric Abeta species in amyloid precursor protein transgenic mice. J Neurosci. 2007;27:12721-31 pubmed
- Ivy A, Rex C, Chen Y, Dube C, Maras P, Grigoriadis D, et al. Hippocampal dysfunction and cognitive impairments provoked by chronic early-life stress involve excessive activation of CRH receptors. J Neurosci. 2010;30:13005-15 pubmed publisher..Reducing CRF(1) occupancy post hoc normalized hippocampal function during middle age, thus offering potential mechanism-based therapeutic interventions for children affected by chronic stress. ..
- Benoit M, Tenner A. Complement protein C1q-mediated neuroprotection is correlated with regulation of neuronal gene and microRNA expression. J Neurosci. 2011;31:3459-69 pubmed publisher..These results show that C1q can directly promote neuronal survival, thereby demonstrating new interactions between immune proteins and neuronal cells that may facilitate neuroprotection. ..
- Lin C, Lynch G, Gall C. AMPA receptor stimulation increases alpha5beta1 integrin surface expression, adhesive function and signaling. J Neurochem. 2005;94:531-46 pubmed
- Huang F, Chotiner J, Steward O. Actin polymerization and ERK phosphorylation are required for Arc/Arg3.1 mRNA targeting to activated synaptic sites on dendrites. J Neurosci. 2007;27:9054-67 pubmed..1 mRNA localization. Our results indicate that the reorganization of the actin cytoskeletal network in conjunction with MAP kinase activation is required for targeting newly synthesized Arc/Arg3.1 mRNA to activated synaptic sites. ..
- Deshpande A, Kawai H, Metherate R, Glabe C, Busciglio J. A role for synaptic zinc in activity-dependent Abeta oligomer formation and accumulation at excitatory synapses. J Neurosci. 2009;29:4004-15 pubmed publisher..In AD brains, oligomers of different size colocalized with synaptic markers in hippocampus and cortex, where oligomer synaptic accumulation correlated with synaptic loss. ..
- Lee S, Földy C, Szabadics J, Soltesz I. Cell-type-specific CCK2 receptor signaling underlies the cholecystokinin-mediated selective excitation of hippocampal parvalbumin-positive fast-spiking basket cells. J Neurosci. 2011;31:10993-1002 pubmed publisher..Together, these results demonstrate that an abundant ligand such as CCK can signal through the same receptor in different neurons to use cell-type-selective signaling pathways to provide divergence and specificity to its effects. ..
- Jiang J, Chan A, ALI S, Saha A, Haushalter K, Lam W, et al. Hydrogen Sulfide--Mechanisms of Toxicity and Development of an Antidote. Sci Rep. 2016;6:20831 pubmed publisher..We conclude that sulfide produces a high degree of oxidative stress in cells and tissues, and that cobinamide has promise as a first specific treatment for sulfide poisoning. ..
- Su J, Nichol K, Sitch T, Sheu P, Chubb C, Miller B, et al. DNA damage and activated caspase-3 expression in neurons and astrocytes: evidence for apoptosis in frontotemporal dementia. Exp Neurol. 2000;163:9-19 pubmed..Our results suggest that apoptosis may be a mechanism of neuronal cell death in FTD as well as in AD (228). ..
- Marchant J, Parker I. Functional interactions in Ca(2+) signaling over different time and distance scales. J Gen Physiol. 2000;116:691-6 pubmed
- Brunson K, Avishai Eliner S, Baram T. ACTH treatment of infantile spasms: mechanisms of its effects in modulation of neuronal excitability. Int Rev Neurobiol. 2002;49:185-97 pubmed..These combined effects may explain the robust established clinical effects of ACTH in the therapy of IS. ..
- Tong L, Balazs R, Thornton P, Cotman C. Beta-amyloid peptide at sublethal concentrations downregulates brain-derived neurotrophic factor functions in cultured cortical neurons. J Neurosci. 2004;24:6799-809 pubmed..These new findings suggest that Abeta engenders a dysfunctional encoding state in neurons and may initiate and/or contribute to cognitive deficit at an early stage of AD before or along with neuronal degeneration. ..
- Chen J, Park C, Tang S. Activity-dependent synaptic Wnt release regulates hippocampal long term potentiation. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:11910-6 pubmed..Suppression of Wnt signaling impairs long term potentiation. Conversely, activation of Wnt signaling facilitates long term potentiation. These findings suggest that Wnt signaling plays a critical role in regulating synaptic plasticity. ..
- Gong R, Park C, Abbassi N, Tang S. Roles of glutamate receptors and the mammalian target of rapamycin (mTOR) signaling pathway in activity-dependent dendritic protein synthesis in hippocampal neurons. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:18802-15 pubmed..These results identify critical roles of NMDA receptors and the mTOR signaling pathway for control of synaptic activity-induced dendritic protein synthesis in hippocampal neurons. ..
- Bender R, Baram T. Epileptogenesis in the developing brain: what can we learn from animal models?. Epilepsia. 2007;48 Suppl 5:2-6 pubmed
- Lauterborn J, Rex C, Kramár E, Chen L, Pandyarajan V, Lynch G, et al. Brain-derived neurotrophic factor rescues synaptic plasticity in a mouse model of fragile X syndrome. J Neurosci. 2007;27:10685-94 pubmed..The possibility of a pharmacological therapy based on these results is discussed. ..
- Oh H, Campusano J, Hilgenberg L, Sun X, Smith M, O Dowd D. Ultrastructural analysis of chemical synapses and gap junctions between Drosophila brain neurons in culture. Dev Neurobiol. 2008;68:281-94 pubmed
- Sontag E, Lotz G, Agrawal N, Tran A, Aron R, Yang G, et al. Methylene blue modulates huntingtin aggregation intermediates and is protective in Huntington's disease models. J Neurosci. 2012;32:11109-19 pubmed..Furthermore, MB treatment also promoted an increase in levels of BDNF RNA and protein in vivo. Thus, MB, which is well tolerated and used in humans, has therapeutic potential for HD. ..
- Fernandez Salas E, Wang J, Molina Y, Nelson J, Jacky B, Aoki K. Botulinum neurotoxin serotype A specific cell-based potency assay to replace the mouse bioassay. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e49516 pubmed publisher..Moreover, we also developed and optimized a BoNT/A CBPA screening assay that can be used for the discovery of novel BoNT/A inhibitors to treat human disease. ..
- Kawai H, La M, Kang H, Hashimoto Y, Liang K, Lazar R, et al. Convergence of nicotine-induced and auditory-evoked neural activity activates ERK in auditory cortex. Synapse. 2013;67:455-68 pubmed publisher..Together, these results suggest that ERK is activated optimally where nicotinic signaling and sound-evoked neural activity converge. ..
- Poon W, Carlos A, Aguilar B, Berchtold N, Kawano C, Zograbyan V, et al. β-Amyloid (Aβ) oligomers impair brain-derived neurotrophic factor retrograde trafficking by down-regulating ubiquitin C-terminal hydrolase, UCH-L1. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:16937-48 pubmed publisher..Further, our results support the idea that in AD, Aβ may down-regulate UCH-L1 in the AD brain, which in turn impairs BDNF/TrkB-mediated retrograde signaling, compromising synaptic plasticity and neuronal survival. ..
- ..Research on spatial mapping in the hippocampal-entorhinal system provides a fundament for future attempts to decipher some of the neural-circuit codes of the cortex. ..
- MIKO I, Nakamura P, Henkemeyer M, Cramer K. Auditory brainstem neural activation patterns are altered in EphA4- and ephrin-B2-deficient mice. J Comp Neurol. 2007;505:669-81 pubmed..These differences in cell number and distribution suggest that EphA4 and ephrin-B2 signaling influence auditory activation patterns. ..
- Lee S, Soltesz I. Cholecystokinin: a multi-functional molecular switch of neuronal circuits. Dev Neurobiol. 2011;71:83-91 pubmed publisher..The central importance of CCK in neuronal networks is also reflected in its involvement in a variety of neuropsychiatric and neurological disorders including panic attacks and epilepsy. ..
- Chabrier M, Blurton Jones M, Agazaryan A, Nerhus J, Martinez Coria H, LaFerla F. Soluble a? promotes wild-type tau pathology in vivo. J Neurosci. 2012;32:17345-50 pubmed publisher..These studies provide critical in vivo evidence for a strong mechanistic link between soluble A?, wild-type tau, and synaptic pathology. ..
- Brewster A, Bender R, Chen Y, Dube C, Eghbal Ahmadi M, Baram T. Developmental febrile seizures modulate hippocampal gene expression of hyperpolarization-activated channels in an isoform- and cell-specific manner. J Neurosci. 2002;22:4591-9 pubmed..These changes result in long-lasting alteration of the HCN phenotype of specific hippocampal neuronal populations, with profound consequences on the excitability of the hippocampal network. ..
- Hoover B, Marshall J. Molecular, chemical, and anatomical characterization of globus pallidus dopamine D2 receptor mRNA-containing neurons. Synapse. 2004;52:100-13 pubmed..These results reveal heterogeneous chemical and anatomical properties of the extensive population of D2+ GP neurons, a potential cellular substrate for dopamine's effects in pallidum. ..
- Green K, Billings L, Roozendaal B, McGaugh J, LaFerla F. Glucocorticoids increase amyloid-beta and tau pathology in a mouse model of Alzheimer's disease. J Neurosci. 2006;26:9047-56 pubmed..These findings suggest that high levels of glucocorticoids, found in AD, are not merely a consequence of the disease process but rather play a central role in the development and progression of AD. ..
- Xu Y, Gall C, Jackson V, Civelli O, Reinscheid R. Distribution of neuropeptide S receptor mRNA and neurochemical characteristics of neuropeptide S-expressing neurons in the rat brain. J Comp Neurol. 2007;500:84-102 pubmed..These data suggest that the NPS system may play a key role in modulating a variety of physiological functions, especially arousal, anxiety, learning and memory, and energy balance. ..
- Zha Q, Brewster A, Richichi C, Bender R, Baram T. Activity-dependent heteromerization of the hyperpolarization-activated, cyclic-nucleotide gated (HCN) channels: role of N-linked glycosylation. J Neurochem. 2008;105:68-77 pubmed..Thus, hippocampal HCN1 molecules have a significantly higher probability of being glycosylated after SA, and this might promote a stable heteromerization with HCN2. ..
- Tirotta E, Fontaine V, Picetti R, Lombardi M, Samad T, Oulad Abdelghani M, et al. Signaling by dopamine regulates D2 receptors trafficking at the membrane. Cell Cycle. 2008;7:2241-8 pubmed..Altogether these studies identify sGi2 as a D2R interacting protein involved in the regulation of D2R at the membrane through a dopamine mediated mechanism. ..
- Zhang C, Truong K, Zhou Q. Efferent projections of prokineticin 2 expressing neurons in the mouse suprachiasmatic nucleus. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e7151 pubmed publisher..The efferent projections of PK2-expressing neurons supported the role of PK2 as an output molecule of the SCN. ..
- Fraser D, Pisalyaput K, Tenner A. C1q enhances microglial clearance of apoptotic neurons and neuronal blebs, and modulates subsequent inflammatory cytokine production. J Neurochem. 2010;112:733-43 pubmed publisher..The data are consistent with a protective role for C1q in the CNS during early stages of cell death by enhancing microglial clearance of apoptotic cells and suppressing proinflammatory cytokines. ..
- Varga C, Lee S, Soltesz I. Target-selective GABAergic control of entorhinal cortex output. Nat Neurosci. 2010;13:822-4 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that the organization of GABAergic microcircuits reflects the long-distance axonal targets of principal neurons. ..
- Shepard P, Choi E, Lu J, Flanagan L, Hertel K, Shi Y. Complex and dynamic landscape of RNA polyadenylation revealed by PAS-Seq. RNA. 2011;17:761-72 pubmed publisher..Together, our PAS-Seq analyses revealed a complex landscape of RNA polyadenylation in mammalian cells and the dynamic regulation of APA during stem cell differentiation. ..
- Liu X, Zeng J, Zhou A, Theodorsson E, Fahrenkrug J, Reinscheid R. Molecular fingerprint of neuropeptide S-producing neurons in the mouse brain. J Comp Neurol. 2011;519:1847-66 pubmed publisher..Stress-induced functional activation of NPS-producing neurons was detected by staining for the immediate-early gene c-fos, thus supporting earlier findings that NPS might be part of the brain stress response network. ..
- Fu J, Bottegoni G, Sasso O, Bertorelli R, Rocchia W, Masetti M, et al. A catalytically silent FAAH-1 variant drives anandamide transport in neurons. Nat Neurosci. 2011;15:64-9 pubmed publisher..The results identify FLAT as a critical molecular component of anandamide transport in neural cells and a potential target for therapeutic drugs. ..
- Dynes J, Steward O. Arc mRNA docks precisely at the base of individual dendritic spines indicating the existence of a specialized microdomain for synapse-specific mRNA translation. J Comp Neurol. 2012;520:3105-19 pubmed..These observations imply the existence of a microdomain at the spine base where Arc mRNA docks in association with a previously unknown mRNA-binding structural element. ..
- Esmailpour T, Huang T. TBX3 promotes human embryonic stem cell proliferation and neuroepithelial differentiation in a differentiation stage-dependent manner. Stem Cells. 2012;30:2152-63 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that TBX3 plays distinct roles in regulating self-renewal and differentiation in both hESCs and mouse ESCs. ..
- Farris S, Lewandowski G, Cox C, Steward O. Selective localization of arc mRNA in dendrites involves activity- and translation-dependent mRNA degradation. J Neurosci. 2014;34:4481-93 pubmed publisher..These data reveal a novel mechanism for controlling mRNA distribution within dendrites and highlight activity-dependent mRNA degradation as a regulatory process involved in synaptic plasticity. ..
- Lee D, O Dowd D. cAMP-dependent plasticity at excitatory cholinergic synapses in Drosophila neurons: alterations in the memory mutant dunce. J Neurosci. 2000;20:2104-11 pubmed..In addition, the alterations in dunce neurons suggest that cAMP-dependent plasticity at cholinergic synapses could mediate changes in neuronal communication that contribute to memory formation. ..
- Drapeau M, Radovic A, Wittkopp P, Long A. A gene necessary for normal male courtship, yellow, acts downstream of fruitless in the Drosophila melanogaster larval brain. J Neurobiol. 2003;55:53-72 pubmed..Overall, these data suggest that y is a downstream member of the fru branch of the D. melanogaster sex determination hierarchy, where it plays a currently unknown role in the development of adult male wing extension during courtship. ..
- Bender R, Soleymani S, Brewster A, Nguyen S, Beck H, Mathern G, et al. Enhanced expression of a specific hyperpolarization-activated cyclic nucleotide-gated cation channel (HCN) in surviving dentate gyrus granule cells of human and experimental epileptic hippocampus. J Neurosci. 2003;23:6826-36 pubmed
- Li C, Song Y, Higuera E, Luo Z. Spinal dorsal horn calcium channel alpha2delta-1 subunit upregulation contributes to peripheral nerve injury-induced tactile allodynia. J Neurosci. 2004;24:8494-9 pubmed..Thus, changes in presynaptic alpha2delta-1 subunit expression contribute to injury-induced spinal neuroplasticity and central sensitization that underlies neuropathic pain development and maintenance. ..
- Lee S, Grigorian A, Pawling J, Chen I, Gao G, Mozaffar T, et al. N-glycan processing deficiency promotes spontaneous inflammatory demyelination and neurodegeneration. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:33725-34 pubmed
- Kawauchi S, Santos R, Kim J, Hollenbeck P, Murray R, Calof A. The role of foxg1 in the development of neural stem cells of the olfactory epithelium. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2009;1170:21-7 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that the proliferation and/or subsequent differentiation of Sox2-expressing neural stem cells in the OE is regulated by Foxg1. ..
- Guerra Crespo M, Sistos A, Gleason D, Fallon J. Intranasal administration of PEGylated transforming growth factor-alpha improves behavioral deficits in a chronic stroke model. J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis. 2010;19:3-9 pubmed publisher..This nonsurgical approach represents a potential therapeutic strategy for human patients. ..
- Sheeba V, Fogle K, Holmes T. Persistence of morning anticipation behavior and high amplitude morning startle response following functional loss of small ventral lateral neurons in Drosophila. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e11628 pubmed publisher..The large LNv, in combination with the network of other circadian neurons, in the absence of functional small LNv are sufficient for the morning anticipation and the high amplitude light-activated morning startle response. ..
- García Fuster M, Parks G, Clinton S, Watson S, Akil H, Civelli O. The melanin-concentrating hormone (MCH) system in an animal model of depression-like behavior. Eur Neuropsychopharmacol. 2012;22:607-13 pubmed publisher..The data indicate that MCH1R participates in the modulation of depression-like behavior through a process that involves the CA1 region of the hippocampus, supporting the possible use of MCH1R antagonists in the treatment of depression. ..
- Anzalone A, Lizardi Ortiz J, Ramos M, De Mei C, Hopf F, Iaccarino C, et al. Dual control of dopamine synthesis and release by presynaptic and postsynaptic dopamine D2 receptors. J Neurosci. 2012;32:9023-34 pubmed publisher..This study reveals previously unappreciated control of DA signaling, shedding new light on region-specific regulation of DA-mediated effects. ..
- Castello N, Green K, LaFerla F. Genetic knockdown of brain-derived neurotrophic factor in 3xTg-AD mice does not alter A? or tau pathology. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e39566 pubmed publisher..These findings indicate that chronic reduction of BDNF does not exacerbate the development of A? and tau pathology, and instead suggests the reduced BDNF levels found in AD patients are a consequence of these pathologies. ..
- Guo Z, Longhurst J. Role of cAMP in activation of ischemically sensitive abdominal visceral afferents. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2000;278:H843-52 pubmed..These data suggest that cAMP contributes to the activation of abdominal visceral afferents during ischemia, particularly to the action of PGs on activation and/or sensitization of these endings...
- Weinberger N. Specific long-term memory traces in primary auditory cortex. Nat Rev Neurosci. 2004;5:279-90 pubmed
- Sokolchik I, Tanabe T, Baldi P, Sze J. Polymodal sensory function of the Caenorhabditis elegans OCR-2 channel arises from distinct intrinsic determinants within the protein and is selectively conserved in mammalian TRPV proteins. J Neurosci. 2005;25:1015-23 pubmed..Thus, different sensory functions of OCR-2 arise from separable intrinsic determinants, and specific functional properties of TRPV channel proteins may be selectively conserved across phyla. ..
- Jiang S, Campusano J, Su H, O Dowd D. Drosophila mushroom body Kenyon cells generate spontaneous calcium transients mediated by PLTX-sensitive calcium channels. J Neurophysiol. 2005;94:491-500 pubmed..This suggests the calcium transients play a more general role in maturation or function of adult brain neurons. ..
- Jackson V, Lin S, Wang Z, Nothacker H, Civelli O. A study of the rat neuropeptide B/neuropeptide W system using in situ techniques. J Comp Neurol. 2006;497:367-83 pubmed..With this map of the NPB/NPW system in the rat brain, a better understanding of the functional implications of the system in various behavioral paradigms is now possible. ..
- Neekhra A, Luthra S, Chwa M, Seigel G, Gramajo A, Kuppermann B, et al. Caspase-8, -12, and -3 activation by 7-ketocholesterol in retinal neurosensory cells. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2007;48:1362-7 pubmed..The z-VAD-fmk inhibitor blocked caspase-3 activities in the homogeneous ARPE-19 cultures but not in the heterogeneous R28 cultures. ..
- Cohen Cory S, Kidane A, Shirkey N, Marshak S. Brain-derived neurotrophic factor and the development of structural neuronal connectivity. Dev Neurobiol. 2010;70:271-88 pubmed publisher..Further, we provide an overview of the possible actions of BDNF in the development of neural circuits, with an emphasis on presynaptic actions of BDNF during the structural development of central neurons. ..
- Freude K, Penjwini M, Davis J, LaFerla F, Blurton Jones M. Soluble amyloid precursor protein induces rapid neural differentiation of human embryonic stem cells. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:24264-74 pubmed publisher..These novel APP-hESC lines represent a valuable tool to investigate the potential role of APP in development and neurodegeneration and allow for insights into physiological functions of this protein. ..
- Marquez Lona E, Tan Z, Schreiber S. Nucleolar stress characterized by downregulation of nucleophosmin: a novel cause of neuronal degeneration. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2012;417:514-20 pubmed publisher..These results suggest a key role for NPM in promoting neuronal survival and a novel mechanism of neuronal degeneration triggered by nucleolar stress...
- McNulty S, Barrett R, Vogel Ciernia A, Malvaez M, Hernandez N, Davatolhagh M, et al. Differential roles for Nr4a1 and Nr4a2 in object location vs. object recognition long-term memory. Learn Mem. 2012;19:588-92 pubmed publisher..These results begin to elucidate how NR4A1 and NR4A2 differentially contribute to object location versus object recognition memory. ..
- Iniguez J, Schutte S, O Dowd D. Cav3-type ?1T calcium channels mediate transient calcium currents that regulate repetitive firing in Drosophila antennal lobe PNs. J Neurophysiol. 2013;110:1490-6 pubmed publisher..Alterations in evoked firing and spontaneous burst firing in the ?1T knockdowns demonstrate that the Cav3-type calcium channels are important in regulating excitability in adult PNs. ..
- Intskirveli I, Joshi A, Vizcarra Chacón B, Metherate R. Spectral breadth and laminar distribution of thalamocortical inputs to A1. J Neurophysiol. 2016;115:2083-94 pubmed publisher..8 ± 0.10 to 1.7 ± 0.12 octaves). The results provide an estimate of the laminar and spectral extent of thalamocortical projections and support the hypothesis that intracortical pathways contribute to spectral integration in A1. ..
- Hodges D, Lee D, Preston C, Boswell K, Hall L, O Dowd D. tipE regulates Na+-dependent repetitive firing in Drosophila neurons. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2002;19:402-16 pubmed
- Lee D, Su H, O Dowd D. GABA receptors containing Rdl subunits mediate fast inhibitory synaptic transmission in Drosophila neurons. J Neurosci. 2003;23:4625-34 pubmed..This demonstrates that Rdl containing GABA receptors play a direct role in mediating synaptic inhibition in Drosophila neural circuits formed in culture. ..
- Fuja T, Schwartz P, Darcy D, Bryant P. Asymmetric localization of LGN but not AGS3, two homologs of Drosophila pins, in dividing human neural progenitor cells. J Neurosci Res. 2004;75:782-93 pubmed..The results suggest that hNPCs undergo ACD and that similar molecular pathways may underlie these divisions in Drosophila and human cells. ..
- Billings L, Marshall J. Glutamic acid decarboxylase 67 mRNA regulation in two globus pallidus neuron populations by dopamine and the subthalamic nucleus. J Neurosci. 2004;24:3094-103 pubmed..This pattern of results has implications for pallidal control of striatal versus downstream basal ganglia nuclei. ..
- Chao T, Pham K, Steward O, Gupta R. Chronic nerve compression injury induces a phenotypic switch of neurons within the dorsal root ganglia. J Comp Neurol. 2008;506:180-93 pubmed..Thus, CNC induces a phenotypic change in the DRG that appears to be temporally associated with increases in GDNF protein expression at and near the site of the compression injury in the nerve...
- Földy C, Lee S, Morgan R, Soltesz I. Regulation of fast-spiking basket cell synapses by the chloride channel ClC-2. Nat Neurosci. 2010;13:1047-9 pubmed publisher..Our data reveal a previously unknown cell type-specific regulation of intracellular chloride homeostasis in the perisomatic region of hippocampal pyramidal neurons. ..
- Vogel Ciernia A, Matheos D, Barrett R, Kramar E, Azzawi S, Chen Y, et al. The neuron-specific chromatin regulatory subunit BAF53b is necessary for synaptic plasticity and memory. Nat Neurosci. 2013;16:552-61 pubmed publisher..Our results provide new insight into the role of dominant mutations in subunits of BAF complexes in human intellectual and cognitive disorders. ..
- Oddo S, Caccamo A, Tran L, Lambert M, Glabe C, Klein W, et al. Temporal profile of amyloid-beta (Abeta) oligomerization in an in vivo model of Alzheimer disease. A link between Abeta and tau pathology. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:1599-604 pubmed..Therefore, Abeta oligomers may play a role in the induction of tau pathology, making the interference of Abeta oligomerization a valid therapeutic target. ..
- Sheeba V, Fogle K, Kaneko M, Rashid S, Chou Y, Sharma V, et al. Large ventral lateral neurons modulate arousal and sleep in Drosophila. Curr Biol. 2008;18:1537-45 pubmed publisher..Light-activated lLNvs modulate behavioral arousal and sleep in Drosophila. ..
- Noam Y, Phan L, McClelland S, Manders E, Ehrengruber M, Wadman W, et al. Distinct regional and subcellular localization of the actin-binding protein filamin A in the mature rat brain. J Comp Neurol. 2012;520:3013-34 pubmed publisher..The characterization of the expression and subcellular localization of FLNa may provide new clues to the functional roles of this cytoskeletal protein in the adult brain. ..
- Ni J, Baik L, Holmes T, Montell C. A rhodopsin in the brain functions in circadian photoentrainment in Drosophila. Nature. 2017;545:340-344 pubmed publisher..The demonstration that Rh7 functions in circadian pacemaker neurons represents, to our knowledge, the first role for an opsin in the central brain. ..