Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on mutation in Berkeley, California, United States
Locale: Berkeley, California, United States
Publications384 found, 100 shown here
- Cheeseman I, Brew C, Wolyniak M, Desai A, Anderson S, Muster N, et al. Implication of a novel multiprotein Dam1p complex in outer kinetochore function. J Cell Biol. 2001;155:1137-45 pubmed..These and other analyses implicate the four newly identified subunits and the Dam1p complex as a whole in outer kinetochore function where they are well positioned to facilitate the association of chromosomes with spindle microtubules. ..
- Zhu J, Chen J, Hai R, Tong T, Xiao J, Zhan X, et al. In vitro and in vivo characterization of a murine cytomegalovirus with a mutation at open reading frame m166. J Virol. 2003;77:2882-91 pubmed..Our results suggest that m166 probably encodes a virulence factor and is required for MCMV virulence in killing SCID mice and for optimal viral growth in vivo. ..
- Kumar A, Mandiyan V, Suzuki Y, Zhang C, Rice J, Tsai J, et al. Crystal structures of proto-oncogene kinase Pim1: a target of aberrant somatic hypermutations in diffuse large cell lymphoma. J Mol Biol. 2005;348:183-93 pubmed..Based on the structural information, opportunities for optimization of one specific example are discussed. ..
- Chmiel N, Rio D, Doudna J. Distinct contributions of KH domains to substrate binding affinity of Drosophila P-element somatic inhibitor protein. RNA. 2006;12:283-91 pubmed..These results show that despite the ability of a single KH domain to bind RNA in some systems, PSI requires multiple tandem KH domains for specific and high-affinity recognition of substrate RNA. ..
- Curry J, Schulz D, Guidos C, Danska J, Nutter L, Nussenzweig A, et al. Chromosomal reinsertion of broken RSS ends during T cell development. J Exp Med. 2007;204:2293-303 pubmed..Thus, the noncore domain of RAG2 serves to limit the extent to which the integrity of the genome is threatened by mistargeting of V(D)J recombination. ..
- Hatzios S, Iavarone A, Bertozzi C. Rv2131c from Mycobacterium tuberculosis is a CysQ 3'-phosphoadenosine-5'-phosphatase. Biochemistry. 2008;47:5823-31 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these studies indicate that Rv2131c encodes a CysQ enzyme that may play a role in mycobacterial sulfur metabolism...
- Parker L, Howlett I, Rusan Z, Tanouye M. Seizure and epilepsy: studies of seizure disorders in Drosophila. Int Rev Neurobiol. 2011;99:1-21 pubmed publisher..The genes responsible for seizure suppression are cloned with the goal of identifying targets for lead compounds that may be developed into new antiepileptic drugs. ..
- Lee J, Vijayraghavan K, Celniker S, Tanouye M. Identification of a Drosophila muscle development gene with structural homology to mammalian early growth response transcription factors. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1995;92:10344-8 pubmed..The identification of sr as an egr gene and its pattern of expression suggest that it functions in muscle development via intercellular communication. ..
- Hardy C, Cozzarelli N. Alteration of Escherichia coli topoisomerase IV to novobiocin resistance. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2003;47:941-7 pubmed..We conclude that topo IV is a secondary target of novobiocin and that it is very likely to be inhibited by the same mechanism as DNA gyrase. ..
- Latasa M, Griffin M, Moon Y, Kang C, Sul H. Occupancy and function of the -150 sterol regulatory element and -65 E-box in nutritional regulation of the fatty acid synthase gene in living animals. Mol Cell Biol. 2003;23:5896-907 pubmed..We conclude that the FAS promoter is activated during refeeding via the induced binding of SREBP to the -150 SRE and that USF binding to the -65 E-box is also required for SREBP binding and activation of the FAS promoter. ..
- Shang C, Hazbun T, Cheeseman I, Aranda J, Fields S, Drubin D, et al. Kinetochore protein interactions and their regulation by the Aurora kinase Ipl1p. Mol Biol Cell. 2003;14:3342-55 pubmed..Strikingly, we found that the Dam1p-Ndc80p and Dam1p-Spc34p interactions were weakened by mutations mimicking phosphorylation at Ipl1p sites, allowing us to formulate a model for the effects of phosphoregulation on kinetochore function. ..
- Woodruff J, Drubin D, Barnes G. Dynein-driven mitotic spindle positioning restricted to anaphase by She1p inhibition of dynactin recruitment. Mol Biol Cell. 2009;20:3003-11 pubmed publisher..We propose that She1p restricts dynein-dependent spindle positioning to anaphase by inhibiting the association of dynein with the complete dynactin complex. ..
- Wassarman D, Solomon N, Chang H, Karim F, Therrien M, Rubin G. Protein phosphatase 2A positively and negatively regulates Ras1-mediated photoreceptor development in Drosophila. Genes Dev. 1996;10:272-8 pubmed..This suggests that PP2A both negatively and positively regulates the Ras1 cascade by dephosphorylating factors that function at different steps in the cascade. ..
- Nichols A, Ong P, Linn S. Mutations specific to the xeroderma pigmentosum group E Ddb- phenotype. J Biol Chem. 1996;271:24317-20 pubmed..These results demonstrate that p48 is required for DNA binding activity, but at the same time necessitate further definition of the genetic basis of XP group E. ..
- Clark A. recA mutants of E. coli K12: a personal turning point. Bioessays. 1996;18:767-72 pubmed..This article honors the memory of Ann Dee. ..
- Brodsky M, Sekelsky J, Tsang G, Hawley R, Rubin G. mus304 encodes a novel DNA damage checkpoint protein required during Drosophila development. Genes Dev. 2000;14:666-78 pubmed..Similar mechanisms may account for the puzzling array of symptoms observed in humans with mutations in the ATM tumor suppressor gene. ..
- Dean C, Scholl F, Choih J, DeMaria S, Berger J, Isacoff E, et al. Neurexin mediates the assembly of presynaptic terminals. Nat Neurosci. 2003;6:708-16 pubmed..In response to this clustering, neurexins nucleate the assembly of a cytoplasmic scaffold to which the exocytotic apparatus is recruited. ..
- Zolfaghar I, Evans D, Fleiszig S. Twitching motility contributes to the role of pili in corneal infection caused by Pseudomonas aeruginosa. Infect Immun. 2003;71:5389-93 pubmed..02). Thus, twitching motility contributed to the role of pili in corneal disease but was not involved in the role of pili in adherence to or invasion of corneal epithelial cells. ..
- Karbstein K, Jonas S, Doudna J. An essential GTPase promotes assembly of preribosomal RNA processing complexes. Mol Cell. 2005;20:633-43 pubmed..Together, these data suggest that Bms1 functions as a GTP-regulated switch to deliver Rcl1 to preribosomes, providing molecular insight into preribosome assembly. ..
- Hammonds A, Fristrom J. Mutational analysis of Stubble-stubbloid gene structure and function in Drosophila leg and bristle morphogenesis. Genetics. 2006;172:1577-93 pubmed..We propose a model whereby Sb-sbd helps coordinate proteolytic modification of extracellular matrix attachments with cytoskeletal changes in both legs and bristles. ..
- Schulze J, Kane C, Ruiz Manzano A. The YEATS domain of Taf14 in Saccharomyces cerevisiae has a negative impact on cell growth. Mol Genet Genomics. 2010;283:365-80 pubmed publisher..Thus, this highly conserved domain should be considered part of a negative regulatory loop in cell growth. ..
- Kim S, Speed T. Comparing somatic mutation-callers: beyond Venn diagrams. BMC Bioinformatics. 2013;14:189 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, applying the four evaluation approaches to the whole exome data, we illustrate the challenges and highlight the various circumstances that require extra caution in assessing the performances of multiple callers. ..
- Milligan D, Koshland D. The amino terminus of the aspartate chemoreceptor is formylmethionine. J Biol Chem. 1990;265:4455-60 pubmed..The stability of the amino-terminal formyl group on the receptor may be a consequence of the membrane localization of the receptor and the dependence of this localization on the membrane transport machinery of the cell. ..
- Laski F, Ganguly S, Sharp P, RajBhandary U, Rubin G. Construction, stable transformation, and function of an amber suppressor tRNA gene in Drosophila melanogaster. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1989;86:6696-8 pubmed..Strains derived from the two female-fertile integration events were shown to have a low level of amber-suppressing activity by their ability to suppress an amber mutation in a chloramphenicol acetyltransferase gene. ..
- Kramer B, Kramer W, Williamson M, Fogel S. Heteroduplex DNA correction in Saccharomyces cerevisiae is mismatch specific and requires functional PMS genes. Mol Cell Biol. 1989;9:4432-40 pubmed..This suggests an involvement of DNA mismatch repair in recombination and gene conversion in S. cerevisiae. ..
- Keasling J, Hupf G. Genetic manipulation of polyphosphate metabolism affects cadmium tolerance in Escherichia coli. Appl Environ Microbiol. 1996;62:743-6 pubmed
- Winberg M, Noordermeer J, Tamagnone L, Comoglio P, Spriggs M, Tessier Lavigne M, et al. Plexin A is a neuronal semaphorin receptor that controls axon guidance. Cell. 1998;95:903-16 pubmed..Plexins, which themselves contain complete Semaphorin domains, may be both the ancestors of classical Semaphorins and binding partners for Semaphorins. ..
- Clark A, Inwood W, Cloutier T, Dhillon T. Nucleotide sequence of coliphage HK620 and the evolution of lambdoid phages. J Mol Biol. 2001;311:657-79 pubmed..We propose that these boundary sequences are foci of genetic recombination that serve to assort the modules and make the metabolic domain highly mosaic genetically...
- Li L, He Z, Pandey G, Tsuchiya T, Luan S. Functional cloning and characterization of a plant efflux carrier for multidrug and heavy metal detoxification. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:5360-8 pubmed..Further experiments suggest that AtDTX1 is localized in the plasma membrane in plant cells thereby mediating the efflux of plant-derived or exogenous toxic compounds from the cytoplasm. ..
- Glomski I, Gedde M, Tsang A, Swanson J, Portnoy D. The Listeria monocytogenes hemolysin has an acidic pH optimum to compartmentalize activity and prevent damage to infected host cells. J Cell Biol. 2002;156:1029-38 pubmed
- Karvar S, Yao X, Crothers J, Liu Y, Forte J. Localization and function of soluble N-ethylmaleimide-sensitive factor attachment protein-25 and vesicle-associated membrane protein-2 in functioning gastric parietal cells. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:50030-5 pubmed
- Cunningham D, Collins K. Biological and biochemical functions of RNA in the tetrahymena telomerase holoenzyme. Mol Cell Biol. 2005;25:4442-54 pubmed..These findings demonstrate nontemplate functions of TER that are critical for the telomerase holoenzyme catalytic cycle and for proper telomere length maintenance in vivo. ..
- Stray J, Crisona N, Belotserkovskii B, Lindsley J, Cozzarelli N. The Saccharomyces cerevisiae Smc2/4 condensin compacts DNA into (+) chiral structures without net supercoiling. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:34723-34 pubmed..quot; Close packing of Smc2/4 on DNA explains the substrate protection we observed. Our results support the hypothesis that SMC proteins bind multiple DNA duplexes. ..
- Wang W, Marimuthu A, Tsai J, Kumar A, Krupka H, Zhang C, et al. Structural characterization of autoinhibited c-Met kinase produced by coexpression in bacteria with phosphatase. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:3563-8 pubmed..15-A resolution, of the autoinhibited form of the kinase domain, revealing an intricate network of interactions involving c-Met residues documented previously to cause dysregulation when mutated in several cancers. ..
- Weirich C, Erzberger J, Flick J, Berger J, Thorner J, Weis K. Activation of the DExD/H-box protein Dbp5 by the nuclear-pore protein Gle1 and its coactivator InsP6 is required for mRNA export. Nat Cell Biol. 2006;8:668-76 pubmed..Our results define specific functions for Gle1 and InsP6 in mRNA export and suggest that local activation of Dbp5 at the nuclear pore is critical for mRNA export. ..
- Gutman B, Niyogi K. Evidence for base excision repair of oxidative DNA damage in chloroplasts of Arabidopsis thaliana. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:17006-12 pubmed publisher..This mutant analysis revealed the presence of a third glycosylase activity and potentially another pathway for repair of oxidative DNA damage in chloroplasts. ..
- Meng L, Wong J, Feldman L, Lemaux P, Buchanan B. A membrane-associated thioredoxin required for plant growth moves from cell to cell, suggestive of a role in intercellular communication. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:3900-5 pubmed publisher..In demonstrating the membrane location and intercellular mobility of Trx h9, the present results extend the known boundaries of Trx and suggest a role in cell-to-cell communication. ..
- Wilson M, McWhirter S, Amin R, Huang D, Schlissel M. Abelson virus transformation prevents TRAIL expression by inhibiting FoxO3a and NF-kappaB. Mol Cells. 2010;29:333-41 pubmed publisher..We conclude that in Abelson cells, the inhibition of both NF-kappaB and FoxO3a activity is required for suppression of TRAIL transcription and maintenance of the transformed state. ..
- Lopes da Rosa J, Holik J, Green E, Rando O, Kaufman P. Overlapping regulation of CenH3 localization and histone H3 turnover by CAF-1 and HIR proteins in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics. 2011;187:9-19 pubmed publisher..We discuss ways in which altered histone exchange kinetics may affect eviction of Cse4 from noncentromeric loci. ..
- Fumagalli M, Vieira F, Korneliussen T, Linderoth T, Huerta Sanchez E, Albrechtsen A, et al. Quantifying population genetic differentiation from next-generation sequencing data. Genetics. 2013;195:979-92 pubmed publisher..We find that we can infer the fine-scale genetic structure of the sampled individuals, suggesting that employing this new method is useful for investigating the genetic relationships of populations sampled at low coverage. ..
- Chen Y, Bharill S, Altun Z, O HAGAN R, Coblitz B, Isacoff E, et al. Caenorhabditis elegans paraoxonase-like proteins control the functional expression of DEG/ENaC mechanosensory proteins. Mol Biol Cell. 2016;27:1272-85 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that MEC-6 and POML-1 interact with MEC-4 to facilitate expression and localization of MEC-4 on the cell surface. Thus MEC-6 and POML-1 act more like chaperones for MEC-4 than channel components. ..
- Hoecker U, Xu Y, Quail P. SPA1: a new genetic locus involved in phytochrome A-specific signal transduction. Plant Cell. 1998;10:19-33 pubmed..Taken together, the data suggest that spa1 mutations specifically amplify phyA signaling and therefore that the SPA1 locus encodes a component that acts negatively early in the phyA-specific signaling pathway. ..
- Toney M, Kirsch J. Tyrosine 70 fine-tunes the catalytic efficiency of aspartate aminotransferase. Biochemistry. 1991;30:7456-61 pubmed
- Roiha H, Rubin G, O Hare K. P element insertions and rearrangements at the singed locus of Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 1988;119:75-83 pubmed..Excision of one element results in a more extreme singed bristle phenotype while excision of the other leads to a wild-type bristle phenotype. ..
- Beaton A, Kiss I, Fristrom D, Fristrom J. Interaction of the Stubble-stubbloid locus and the Broad-complex of Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 1988;120:453-64 pubmed..The data do not exclude other possible nonregulatory interactions between the two loci, e.g., interactions between the products of both genes. ..
- Ma D, Cook D, Hearst J, Nikaido H. Efflux pumps and drug resistance in gram-negative bacteria. Trends Microbiol. 1994;2:489-93 pubmed..Pumps such as the Escherichia coli Acr system and its homologs make Gram-negative bacteria resistant to dyes, detergents and antibiotics. ..
- Day B, Dahlbeck D, Huang J, Chisholm S, Li D, Staskawicz B. Molecular basis for the RIN4 negative regulation of RPS2 disease resistance. Plant Cell. 2005;17:1292-305 pubmed..To this end, we have identified specific amino acids within the C-terminal half of RIN4 that are required for RPS2 regulation and association. ..
- Chen H, Newton A, Melis A. Role of SulP, a nuclear-encoded chloroplast sulfate permease, in sulfate transport and H2 evolution in Chlamydomonas reinhardtii. Photosynth Res. 2005;84:289-96 pubmed..Thus, antisulPstrains might permit a study of the biochemistry of H2 metabolism in this green alga under constitutive anaerobic oxygenic photosynthesis conditions. ..
- Dubois J, Klinman J. Role of a strictly conserved active site tyrosine in cofactor genesis in the copper amine oxidase from Hansenula polymorpha. Biochemistry. 2006;45:3178-88 pubmed..The opposing effects of mutations at position 305 in biogenesis versus catalysis indicate that a single residue can be recruited for different roles during these processes. ..
- Gille S, de Souza A, Xiong G, Benz M, Cheng K, Schultink A, et al. O-acetylation of Arabidopsis hemicellulose xyloglucan requires AXY4 or AXY4L, proteins with a TBL and DUF231 domain. Plant Cell. 2011;23:4041-53 pubmed publisher..The relationship of AXY4 with another previously identified group of Arabidopsis proteins involved in general wall O-acetylation, reduced wall acetylation, is discussed. ..
- Hafezi Y, Bosch J, Hariharan I. Differences in levels of the transmembrane protein Crumbs can influence cell survival at clonal boundaries. Dev Biol. 2012;368:358-69 pubmed publisher..Thus, Crb may be part of a "surveillance mechanism" that is responsible for the cell death that is observed at the boundaries of mutant clones in these cases. ..
- Floor S, Condon K, Sharma D, Jankowsky E, Doudna J. Autoinhibitory Interdomain Interactions and Subfamily-specific Extensions Redefine the Catalytic Core of the Human DEAD-box Protein DDX3. J Biol Chem. 2016;291:2412-21 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results redefine the structural and functional core of the DDX3 subfamily of DEAD-box proteins. ..
- Mannervik M, Levine M. The Rpd3 histone deacetylase is required for segmentation of the Drosophila embryo. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1999;96:6797-801 pubmed..We discuss the possibility that Eve mediates multiple mechanisms of repression, so that Rpd3 mutants disrupt the regulation of just a subset of Eve target genes. ..
- Lawrence D, Jackson A. Interactions of the TGB1 protein during cell-to-cell movement of Barley stripe mosaic virus. J Virol. 2001;75:8712-23 pubmed..These results are compatible with a model suggesting that movement requires associations of the TGB1 protein with cytoplasmic membranes that are facilitated by the TGB2 and TGB3 proteins...
- Doronkin S, Djagaeva I, Beckendorf S. The COP9 signalosome promotes degradation of Cyclin E during early Drosophila oogenesis. Dev Cell. 2003;4:699-710 pubmed..Genetic interactions among CSN, SCF, and proteasome subunits further confirm CSN involvement in ubiquitin-mediated Cyclin E degradation. ..
- Kim K, Kustu S, Inwood W. Natural history of transposition in the green alga Chlamydomonas reinhardtii: use of the AMT4 locus as an experimental system. Genetics. 2006;173:2005-19 pubmed..The sequence of the other and bioinformatic analysis indicates that it derives from a miniature retrotransposon or TRIM, which we propose to call MRC1 (miniature retrotransposon of Chlamydomonas). ..
- Sun Y, Miao Y, Yamane Y, Zhang C, Shokat K, Takematsu H, et al. Orm protein phosphoregulation mediates transient sphingolipid biosynthesis response to heat stress via the Pkh-Ypk and Cdc55-PP2A pathways. Mol Biol Cell. 2012;23:2388-98 pubmed publisher..We propose that this mechanism serves as the basis for how Orm phosphoregulation controls sphingolipid biosynthesis in response to stress in a kinetically coupled manner. ..
- Goldberg J, Zheng J, Deng H, Chen Y, Callender R, Kirsch J. Structure of the complex between pyridoxal 5'-phosphate and the tyrosine 225 to phenylalanine mutant of Escherichia coli aspartate aminotransferase determined by isotope-edited classical Raman difference spectroscopy. Biochemistry. 1993;32:8092-7 pubmed..1670 cm-1 in the spectrum of free PLP or in that of a mutant of AATase in which Lys-258 is replaced with Ala, are red-shifted by ca. 30 cm-1 in H(2)18O.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS) ..
- Baum P, Guenther C, Frank C, Pham B, Garriga G. The Caenorhabditis elegans gene ham-2 links Hox patterning to migration of the HSN motor neuron. Genes Dev. 1999;13:472-83 pubmed
- Mizukami Y, Fischer R. Plant organ size control: AINTEGUMENTA regulates growth and cell numbers during organogenesis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2000;97:942-7 pubmed..Based on these results, we propose that ANT regulates cell proliferation and organ growth by maintaining the meristematic competence of cells during organogenesis. ..
- Amacher S, Draper B, Summers B, Kimmel C. The zebrafish T-box genes no tail and spadetail are required for development of trunk and tail mesoderm and medial floor plate. Development. 2002;129:3311-23 pubmed
- Kim K, Cheong Y, Grant J, Pandey G, Luan S. CIPK3, a calcium sensor-associated protein kinase that regulates abscisic acid and cold signal transduction in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell. 2003;15:411-23 pubmed..Because the cold signaling pathway is largely independent of endogenous ABA production, CIPK3 represents a cross-talk "node" between the ABA-dependent and ABA-independent pathways in stress responses. ..
- Wintz H, Fox T, Wu Y, Feng V, Chen W, Chang H, et al. Expression profiles of Arabidopsis thaliana in mineral deficiencies reveal novel transporters involved in metal homeostasis. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:47644-53 pubmed
- Zhang M, Hu P, Napoli J. Elements in the N-terminal signaling sequence that determine cytosolic topology of short-chain dehydrogenases/reductases. Studies with retinol dehydrogenase type 1 and cis-retinol/androgen dehydrogenase type 1. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:51482-9 pubmed
- Kirby J, Keasling J. Biosynthesis of plant isoprenoids: perspectives for microbial engineering. Annu Rev Plant Biol. 2009;60:335-55 pubmed publisher..Here, we review investigations into isoprenoid function and gene discovery in plants as well as the latest advances in isoprenoid pathway engineering in both plant and microbial hosts. ..
- Mouchess M, Arpaia N, Souza G, Barbalat R, Ewald S, Lau L, et al. Transmembrane mutations in Toll-like receptor 9 bypass the requirement for ectodomain proteolysis and induce fatal inflammation. Immunity. 2011;35:721-32 pubmed publisher..To our knowledge, these results provide the first demonstration that TLR-intrinsic mutations can lead to a break in tolerance. ..
- Schneider D, Hudson K, Lin T, Anderson K. Dominant and recessive mutations define functional domains of Toll, a transmembrane protein required for dorsal-ventral polarity in the Drosophila embryo. Genes Dev. 1991;5:797-807 pubmed..All six of the remaining dominant alleles require the presence of a wild-type transmembrane Toll protein for their ventralizing effect and all encode truncated proteins that lack the transmembrane and cytoplasmic domains. ..
- Tong L, de Vos A, Milburn M, Kim S. Crystal structures at 2.2 A resolution of the catalytic domains of normal ras protein and an oncogenic mutant complexed with GDP. J Mol Biol. 1991;217:503-16 pubmed..The structural similarity between ras protein and the bacterial elongation factor Tu suggests that their common structural motif might be conserved for other guanine nucleotide binding proteins. ..
- Chasan R, Anderson K. The role of easter, an apparent serine protease, in organizing the dorsal-ventral pattern of the Drosophila embryo. Cell. 1989;56:391-400 pubmed..The implications of the dominant alleles of this putative protease for the mechanism of dorsal-ventral pattern formation are discussed. ..
- Pfaff S, Duesberg P. Two autonomous myc oncogenes in avian carcinoma virus OK10. J Virol. 1988;62:3703-9 pubmed..Although this virus expressed more delta p200 than wild-type OK10 did, it transformed cells less efficiently. It follows that OK10 expresses two autonomous transforming genes, which is unique among retroviruses with onc genes. ..
- Ehrenhofer Murray A, Gossen M, Pak D, Botchan M, Rine J. Separation of origin recognition complex functions by cross-species complementation. Science. 1995;270:1671-4 pubmed..The silent state mediated by DmOrc2 was epigenetic; it was propagated during mitotic divisions in a relatively stable way, whereas the nonsilent state was metastable. In contrast, the silent state was erased during meiosis. ..
- Cole L, Roush R, Casida J. Drosophila GABA-gated chloride channel: modified [3H]EBOB binding site associated with Ala-->Ser or Gly mutants of Rdl subunit. Life Sci. 1995;56:757-65 pubmed..Each of the resistant strains has the same level of resistance to the lethal action of the five channel blockers examined but none to avermectins and muscimol...
- Reiser L, Modrusan Z, Margossian L, Samach A, Ohad N, Haughn G, et al. The BELL1 gene encodes a homeodomain protein involved in pattern formation in the Arabidopsis ovule primordium. Cell. 1995;83:735-42 pubmed..A model for BEL1 function is evaluated with regard to new data showing the expression pattern of the floral homeotic gene AGAMOUS (AG) early in wild-type and BEL1 ovule development. ..
- Lyman S, Schekman R. Interaction between BiP and Sec63p is required for the completion of protein translocation into the ER of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Cell Biol. 1995;131:1163-71 pubmed..Additionally, dominant KAR2 suppressors of sec63-1 partially relieve the stalling defect. Thus, proper interaction between BiP and Sec63p is necessary to allow the precursor polypeptide to complete its transit across the membrane. ..
- Spudich G, Miller E, Marqusee S. Destabilization of the Escherichia coli RNase H kinetic intermediate: switching between a two-state and three-state folding mechanism. J Mol Biol. 2004;335:609-18 pubmed..Our results are consistent with a hierarchical model of folding, where the intermediate consists of native-like interactions, is on-pathway, and is productive for folding. ..
- Goedken E, Kazmirski S, Bowman G, O Donnell M, Kuriyan J. Mapping the interaction of DNA with the Escherichia coli DNA polymerase clamp loader complex. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2005;12:183-90 pubmed..These results provide evidence for the recognition of DNA within an inner chamber formed by the spiral organization of the ATPase domains of the clamp loader. ..
- Cadwell K, Coscoy L. Ubiquitination on nonlysine residues by a viral E3 ubiquitin ligase. Science. 2005;309:127-30 pubmed..Thus, ubiquitination can occur on proteins lacking accessible lysines or an accessible N terminus. ..
- Tang X, Jin Y, Cande W. Bqt2p is essential for initiating telomere clustering upon pheromone sensing in fission yeast. J Cell Biol. 2006;173:845-51 pubmed..Therefore, telomere bouquet formation requires Bqt2p as a linking component and is finely regulated during meiotic progression. ..
- Fu A, He Z, Cho H, Lima A, Buchanan B, Luan S. A chloroplast cyclophilin functions in the assembly and maintenance of photosystem II in Arabidopsis thaliana. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:15947-52 pubmed..In addition, the D1 and D2 components of the mutant PSII had a short half-life under high-light stress. The results provide evidence that CYP38 is necessary for the assembly and stabilization of PSII. ..
- Erhardt S, Mellone B, Betts C, Zhang W, Karpen G, Straight A. Genome-wide analysis reveals a cell cycle-dependent mechanism controlling centromere propagation. J Cell Biol. 2008;183:805-18 pubmed publisher..Our findings identify essential components of the epigenetic machinery that ensures proper specification and propagation of the centromere and suggest a mechanism for coordinating centromere inheritance with cell division. ..
- Dalkara D, Byrne L, Lee T, Hoffmann N, Schaffer D, Flannery J. Enhanced gene delivery to the neonatal retina through systemic administration of tyrosine-mutated AAV9. Gene Ther. 2012;19:176-81 pubmed publisher..This approach provides a new methodology for the development of retinal gene therapies or creation of animal models of neurodegenerative disease. ..
- Xu M, Cho E, Burch Smith T, Zambryski P. Plasmodesmata formation and cell-to-cell transport are reduced in decreased size exclusion limit 1 during embryogenesis in Arabidopsis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012;109:5098-103 pubmed publisher..Finally, silencing of DSE1 in Nicotiana benthamiana leaves leads to reduced movement of GFP fused to tobacco mosaic virus movement protein. Thus, DSE1 is important for regulating PD transport between plant cells...
- Riera C, Huising M, Follett P, Leblanc M, Halloran J, Van Andel R, et al. TRPV1 pain receptors regulate longevity and metabolism by neuropeptide signaling. Cell. 2014;157:1023-36 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that ablation of select pain sensory receptors or the inhibition of CGRP are associated with increased metabolic health and control longevity. ..
- Fischer Vize J, Vize P, Rubin G. A unique mutation in the Enhancer of split gene complex affects the fates of the mystery cells in the developing Drosophila eye. Development. 1992;115:89-101 pubmed..Specification of the mystery cells as ectopic R3/4 subtype photoreceptors in groBFP2 mutant eye discs implies that induction by R2 or R5 is not absolutely necessary for R3/4 cell determination. ..
- Dionne M, Skarnes W, Harland R. Mutation and analysis of Dan, the founding member of the Dan family of transforming growth factor beta antagonists. Mol Cell Biol. 2001;21:636-43 pubmed..Mice lacking Dan activity were generated by gene targeting and displayed subtle, background-dependent defects. ..