Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on middle aged in Torrance, California, United States
Locale: Torrance, California, United States
Topic: middle aged
Publications183 found, 100 shown here
- Spellberg B, Ibrahim A, Chin Hong P, Kontoyiannis D, Morris M, Perfect J, et al. The Deferasirox-AmBisome Therapy for Mucormycosis (DEFEAT Mucor) study: a randomized, double-blinded, placebo-controlled trial. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2012;67:715-22 pubmed publisher..Population imbalances in this small Phase II study make generalizable conclusions difficult. Nevertheless, these data do not support a role for initial, adjunctive deferasirox therapy for mucormycosis. ..
- Fretts A, Follis J, Nettleton J, Lemaitre R, Ngwa J, Wojczynski M, et al. Consumption of meat is associated with higher fasting glucose and insulin concentrations regardless of glucose and insulin genetic risk scores: a meta-analysis of 50,345 Caucasians. Am J Clin Nutr. 2015;102:1266-78 pubmed publisher
- Keeley J, Koopmann M, Yan H, Devirgilio C, Putnam B, Plurad D, et al. Factors Associated with Amputation after Popliteal Vascular Injuries. Ann Vasc Surg. 2016;33:83-7 pubmed publisher..Those patients undergoing attempted limb salvage should be revascularized expediently, but selected patients may undergo orthopedic stabilization before vascular repair without increased risk of limb loss. ..
- Schoettler J, Schleissner L, Heiner D. Familial IgE deficiency associated with sinopulmonary disease. Chest. 1989;96:516-21 pubmed..Two of these were IgE deficient. One symptomatic child had unmeasurable IgG2 (less than 10 mg/dl) and IgE (less than 0.5 IU/ml). This kindred demonstrates that IgE deficiency can be familial, and associated with sinopulmonary disease. ..
- Chang L, Grob C, Ernst T, Itti L, Mishkin F, Jose Melchor R, et al. Effect of ecstasy [3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine (MDMA)] on cerebral blood flow: a co-registered SPECT and MRI study. Psychiatry Res. 2000;98:15-28 pubmed
- Chlebowski R, Johnson K, Kooperberg C, Pettinger M, Wactawski Wende J, Rohan T, et al. Calcium plus vitamin D supplementation and the risk of breast cancer. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2008;100:1581-91 pubmed publisher..In addition, 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels were not associated with subsequent breast cancer risk. These findings do not support a relationship between total vitamin D intake and 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels with breast cancer risk. ..
- Ahmadi N, Nabavi V, Hajsadeghi F, Flores F, Azmoon S, Ismaeel H, et al. Impaired aortic distensibility measured by computed tomography is associated with the severity of coronary artery disease. Int J Cardiovasc Imaging. 2011;27:459-69 pubmed publisher..05). Impaired aortic distensibility strongly correlates with the severity of coronary atherosclerosis. Addition of ADI to CAC and traditional risk factors provides incremental value to predict at-risk individuals. ..
- Wang C, Ilani N, Arver S, McLachlan R, Soulis T, Watkinson A. Efficacy and safety of the 2% formulation of testosterone topical solution applied to the axillae in androgen-deficient men. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf). 2011;75:836-43 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that once-daily application of the testosterone topical solution 2% to the axillae is a safe and effective treatment for androgen replacement in hypogonadal men. ..
- Vargas J, Manichaikul A, Wang X, Rich S, Rotter J, Post W, et al. Common genetic variants and subclinical atherosclerosis: The Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis (MESA). Atherosclerosis. 2016;245:230-6 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest some shared genetic architecture for sCVD across ethnic groups, while also underscoring the possibility of novel variants and/or pathways in risk of CVD in ethnically diverse populations. ..
- Masters A, McCoy M, Jones D, Desta Z. Stereoselective method to quantify bupropion and its three major metabolites, hydroxybupropion, erythro-dihydrobupropion, and threo-dihydrobupropion using HPLC-MS/MS. J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci. 2016;1015-1016:201-208 pubmed publisher..This novel, accurate, and precise HPLC-MS/MS method should enhance further research into bupropion stereoselective metabolism and drug interactions. ..
- Snape W, Williams R, Hyman P. Defect in colonic smooth muscle contraction in patients with ulcerative colitis. Am J Physiol. 1991;261:G987-91 pubmed..The similar relatively low amplitude of the on-contraction in each group suggests the physiological release of an inhibitory neurotransmitter. ..
- Spellberg B, Andes D, Perez M, Anglim A, Bonilla H, Mathisen G, et al. Safety and outcomes of open-label deferasirox iron chelation therapy for mucormycosis. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2009;53:3122-5 pubmed publisher..Deferasirox treatment was not associated with changes in renal or liver function, complete blood count, or transplant immunosuppressive levels. Thus, deferasirox appears safe as an adjunctive therapy for mucormycosis. ..
- Budoff M, Rader D, Reilly M, Mohler E, Lash J, Yang W, et al. Relationship of estimated GFR and coronary artery calcification in the CRIC (Chronic Renal Insufficiency Cohort) Study. Am J Kidney Dis. 2011;58:519-26 pubmed publisher..These findings support recent guidelines that state that if vascular calcification is present, it should be considered as a complementary component to be included in the decision making required for individualizing CKD treatment. ..
- Christopoulos G, Kandzari D, Yeh R, Jaffer F, Karmpaliotis D, Wyman M, et al. Development and Validation of a Novel Scoring System for Predicting Technical Success of Chronic Total Occlusion Percutaneous Coronary Interventions: The PROGRESS CTO (Prospective Global Registry for the Study of Chronic Total Occlusion Intervention). JACC Cardiovasc Interv. 2016;9:1-9 pubmed publisher..720 vs. 0.746, area under the curve difference = 0.026, 95% confidence interval = -0.093 to 0.144). The PROGRESS CTO score is a novel useful tool for estimating technical success in CTO PCI performed using the hybrid approach. ..
- Zipser R, Patel S, Yahya K, Baisch D, Monarch E. Presentations of adult celiac disease in a nationwide patient support group. Dig Dis Sci. 2003;48:761-4 pubmed..Initial physician diagnoses were often irritable bowel syndrome (37%), psychological disorders (29%), and fibromyalgia (9%). These initial presentations are similar to those in Europe and often resemble irritable bowel syndrome. ..
- Chuang M, Ting H, Otsuka T, Sun X, Chiu F, Hansen J, et al. Muscle deoxygenation as related to work rate. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2002;34:1614-23 pubmed
- Westra W, Kopple J, Krediet R, Appell M, Mehrotra R. Dietary protein requirements and dialysate protein losses in chronic peritoneal dialysis patients. Perit Dial Int. 2007;27:192-5 pubmed..Dialysate protein and amino acid losses constitute a small, albeit significant, proportion of total nitrogen appearance and thus may contribute to the increased dietary protein requirements of chronic PD patients. ..
- Douglas R, Naik V, Hwang C, Afifiyan N, Gianoukakis A, Sand D, et al. B cells from patients with Graves' disease aberrantly express the IGF-1 receptor: implications for disease pathogenesis. J Immunol. 2008;181:5768-74 pubmed..02) in vitro while those from control donors failed to respond. These findings suggest a potentially important role for IGF-1R display by B lymphocytes in patients with GD in supporting their expansion and abnormal Ig production...
- Feroze U, Kalantar Zadeh K, Sterling K, Molnar M, Noori N, Benner D, et al. Examining associations of circulating endotoxin with nutritional status, inflammation, and mortality in hemodialysis patients. J Ren Nutr. 2012;22:317-26 pubmed publisher..Moderately high endotoxin levels tended to correlate with increased mortality than the highest circulating endotoxin level. Additional studies are required to assess the effect of endotoxemia on mortality in dialysis population. ..
- Nannini D, Torres M, Chen Y, Taylor K, Rotter J, Varma R, et al. African Ancestry Is Associated with Higher Intraocular Pressure in Latinos. Ophthalmology. 2016;123:102-8 pubmed publisher..To our knowledge, we demonstrate for the first time that African ancestry and its interaction with hypertension are associated with higher IOP in Latinos. ..
- Chlebowski R, Wakelee H, Pettinger M, Rohan T, Liu J, Simon M, et al. Estrogen Plus Progestin and Lung Cancer: Follow-up of the Women's Health Initiative Randomized Trial. Clin Lung Cancer. 2016;17:10-7.e1 pubmed publisher..042). The increased risk of death from lung cancer observed during estrogen plus progestin use was attenuated after discontinuation of combined hormone therapy. ..
- Gallant J, Daar E, Raffi F, Brinson C, Ruane P, DeJesus E, et al. Efficacy and safety of tenofovir alafenamide versus tenofovir disoproxil fumarate given as fixed-dose combinations containing emtricitabine as backbones for treatment of HIV-1 infection in virologically suppressed adults: a randomised, double-blind, . Lancet HIV. 2016;3:e158-65 pubmed publisher..With its safety advantages, fixed-dose emtricitabine with tenofovir alafenamide has the potential to become an important NRTI backbone. Gilead Sciences. ..
- Ammann E, Drake M, Haraldsson B, Wallace R, Johnson K, Desai P, et al. Incidence of hematologic malignancy and cause-specific mortality in the Women's Health Initiative randomized controlled trial of calcium and vitamin D supplementation. Cancer. 2017;123:4168-4177 pubmed publisher..Additional research concerning the relationship between vitamin D and HM is warranted. Cancer 2017;123:4168-4177. © 2017 American Cancer Society. ..
- Issakhanian M, Chang L, Cornford M, Witt M, Speck O, Goldberg M, et al. HIV-2 infection with cerebral toxoplasmosis and lymphomatoid granulomatosis. J Neuroimaging. 2001;11:212-6 pubmed..The lesion showed a biochemical and perfusion pattern that was intermediate for infectious and neoplastic processes. Further neuropathology confirmed a secondary diagnosis of lymphomatoid granulomatosis...
- Konishi T, Calvillo M, Leng A, Lin K, Wan Y. Polymorphisms of the dopamine D2 receptor, serotonin transporter, and GABA(A) receptor beta(3) subunit genes and alcoholism in Mexican-Americans. Alcohol. 2004;32:45-52 pubmed..Our findings indicate that the DRD2 -141C Ins allele and the 5-HTTLPR S allele are genetic risk factors for alcoholism in Mexican-Americans, and that smoking modulates the association between genetic risk factors and alcoholism. ..
- Kalantar Zadeh K, Brennan M, Hazen S. Serum myeloperoxidase and mortality in maintenance hemodialysis patients. Am J Kidney Dis. 2006;48:59-68 pubmed..82 (95% CI, 1.07 to 3.10; P = 0.03). Serum MPO levels correlate with levels of markers of inflammation and prospective mortality risk in MHD patients. ..
- Oudiz R, Midde R, Hovenesyan A, Sun X, Roveran G, Hansen J, et al. Usefulness of right-to-left shunting and poor exercise gas exchange for predicting prognosis in patients with pulmonary arterial hypertension. Am J Cardiol. 2010;105:1186-91 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, a persistent exercise-induced right-to-left shunt and poor ventilatory efficiency were highly predictive of poor outcomes in patients with pulmonary arterial hypertension. ..
- Day F, Ruth K, Thompson D, Lunetta K, Pervjakova N, Chasman D, et al. Large-scale genomic analyses link reproductive aging to hypothalamic signaling, breast cancer susceptibility and BRCA1-mediated DNA repair. Nat Genet. 2015;47:1294-1303 pubmed publisher..Mendelian randomization analyses supported a causal effect of later ANM on breast cancer risk (∼6% increase in risk per year; P = 3 × 10(-14)), likely mediated by prolonged sex hormone exposure rather than DDR mechanisms. ..
- Mendoza R, Wan Y, Poland R, Smith M, Zheng Y, Berman N, et al. CYP2D6 polymorphism in a Mexican American population. Clin Pharmacol Ther. 2001;70:552-60 pubmed..This genotypic pattern might be responsible for the lower rate for the poor metabolizer status, as well as for the faster enzyme activity in the extensive metabolizer subjects that was also reflected in our data. ..
- Brass E, Anthony R, Dormandy J, Hiatt W, Jiao J, Nakanishi A, et al. Parenteral therapy with lipo-ecraprost, a lipid-based formulation of a PGE1 analog, does not alter six-month outcomes in patients with critical leg ischemia. J Vasc Surg. 2006;43:752-9 pubmed..Intensive treatment with lipo-ecraprost failed to modify the 6-month amputation rate in patients with CLI who were not candidates for revascularization. ..
- Kalantar Zadeh K, Regidor D, Kovesdy C, Van Wyck D, Bunnapradist S, Horwich T, et al. Fluid retention is associated with cardiovascular mortality in patients undergoing long-term hemodialysis. Circulation. 2009;119:671-9 pubmed publisher..The mechanisms by which fluid retention influences cardiovascular survival in hemodialysis may be similar to those in patients with heart failure and warrant further research. ..
- Tota Maharaj R, Blaha M, Zeb I, Katz R, Blankstein R, Blumenthal R, et al. Ethnic and sex differences in fatty liver on cardiac computed tomography: the multi-ethnic study of atherosclerosis. Mayo Clin Proc. 2014;89:493-503 pubmed publisher..There are distinct ethnic variations in the prevalence of fatty liver even in patients with the metabolic syndrome or obesity, suggesting that genetic factors may play a substantial role in the phenotypic expression of fatty liver. ..
- Miller L, Perdreau Remington F, Rieg G, Mehdi S, Perlroth J, Bayer A, et al. Necrotizing fasciitis caused by community-associated methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in Los Angeles. N Engl J Med. 2005;352:1445-53 pubmed..In areas in which community-associated MRSA infection is endemic, empirical treatment of suspected necrotizing fasciitis should include antibiotics predictably active against this pathogen. ..
- Hansen J, Sun X, Wasserman K. Ethnic- and sex-free formulae for detection of airway obstruction. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2006;174:493-8 pubmed..With 95% confidence limits, they should allow better discrimination between normality and airway obstruction in adults of at least these three ethnicities. ..
- Chlebowski R, Blackburn G, Thomson C, Nixon D, Shapiro A, Hoy M, et al. Dietary fat reduction and breast cancer outcome: interim efficacy results from the Women's Intervention Nutrition Study. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2006;98:1767-76 pubmed..Longer, ongoing nonintervention follow-up will address original protocol design plans, which called for 3 years of follow-up after completion of recruitment. ..
- Streja E, Kovesdy C, Greenland S, Kopple J, McAllister C, Nissenson A, et al. Erythropoietin, iron depletion, and relative thrombocytosis: a possible explanation for hemoglobin-survival paradox in hemodialysis. Am J Kidney Dis. 2008;52:727-36 pubmed publisher..Randomized trials are needed to test these observational associations. ..
- Byrne C, Ursin G, Martin C, Peck J, Cole E, Zeng D, et al. Mammographic Density Change With Estrogen and Progestin Therapy and Breast Cancer Risk. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2017;109: pubmed publisher..Doctors should evaluate changes in mammographic density with women who initiate estrogen plus progestin therapy and discuss the breast cancer risk implications. ..
- Swerdloff R, Wang C. Three-year follow-up of androgen treatment in hypogonadal men: preliminary report with testosterone gel. Aging Male. 2003;6:207-11 pubmed..Monitoring for prostate disease through PSA measurements and digital rectal examination is recommended for hypogonadal men in the older age groups when treated with testosterone. ..
- Kim J, Mittal R, Konyalian V, King J, Stamos M, Kumar R. Outcome analysis of patients undergoing colorectal resection for emergent and elective indications. Am Surg. 2007;73:991-3 pubmed..4). Urgent operation of the colon and rectum is associated with higher incidence of complications. Both right- and left-sided resections have a higher complication rate when performed in a nonelective setting. ..
- Gianoukakis A, Leigh M, Richards P, Christenson P, Hakimian A, Fu P, et al. Characterization of the anaemia associated with Graves' disease. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf). 2009;70:781-7 pubmed publisher..GD anaemia is common, resembles the anaemia of chronic disease, and is associated with markers of inflammation. It corrects promptly with return to the euthyroid state following treatment. ..
- Vargas H, Vargas M, Gonzalez K, Burla M, Khalkhali I. Percutaneous excisional biopsy of palpable breast masses under ultrasound visualization. Breast J. 2006;12:S218-22 pubmed..US-VACB is safe and effective in the initial diagnosis and management of presumed benign palpable breast masses. It provides the benefits of percutaneous biopsy and the palpable abnormality no longer remains. ..
- Chlebowski R, Anderson G, Manson J, Pettinger M, Yasmeen S, Lane D, et al. Estrogen alone in postmenopausal women and breast cancer detection by means of mammography and breast biopsy. J Clin Oncol. 2010;28:2690-7 pubmed publisher..These findings differ from estrogen-plus-progestin use, for which significantly increased abnormal mammograms and a compromise in breast cancer detection are seen. ..
- Heuser G, Mena I. Neurospect in neurotoxic chemical exposure demonstration of long-term functional abnormalities. Toxicol Ind Health. 1998;14:813-27 pubmed..Our findings suggest that NeuroSPECT can provide evidence of impaired cerebral function and may therefore help to further define neurotoxic exposure and its chronic effects. ..
- Kaufman J, Adar S, Barr R, Budoff M, Burke G, Curl C, et al. Association between air pollution and coronary artery calcification within six metropolitan areas in the USA (the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis and Air Pollution): a longitudinal cohort study. Lancet. 2016;388:696-704 pubmed publisher..This study supports the case for global efforts of pollution reduction in prevention of cardiovascular diseases. US Environmental Protection Agency and US National Institutes of Health. ..
- Manson J, Aragaki A, Rossouw J, Anderson G, Prentice R, LaCroix A, et al. Menopausal Hormone Therapy and Long-term All-Cause and Cause-Specific Mortality: The Women's Health Initiative Randomized Trials. JAMA. 2017;318:927-938 pubmed publisher..Health outcomes from the Women's Health Initiative Estrogen Plus Progestin and Estrogen-Alone Trials have been reported, but previous publications have generally not focused on all-cause and cause-specific mortality...
- Tan B, Barry C, Wick M, White K, Brown J, Lee A, et al. Multicentric reticulohistiocytosis and urologic carcinomas: a possible paraneoplastic association. J Cutan Pathol. 2011;38:43-8 pubmed publisher..Both cases were positive immunohistochemically, but it remains to be seen whether this finding is truly important in the pathogenesis of MR associated with underlying visceral neoplasms. ..
- Spellberg B, Yoo T, Bayer A. Reversal of linezolid-associated cytopenias, but not peripheral neuropathy, by administration of vitamin B6. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2004;54:832-5 pubmed..Vitamin B6 treatment may be useful to prevent or modify the course of linezolid-associated cytopenias. More formal and rigorous study of vitamin B6 therapy in patients receiving prolonged courses of linezolid is warranted. ..
- Kim Y, Evangelista L, Phillips L, Pavlish C, Kopple J. The End-Stage Renal Disease Adherence Questionnaire (ESRD-AQ): testing the psychometric properties in patients receiving in-center hemodialysis. Nephrol Nurs J. 2010;37:377-93 pubmed..The findings support that the instrument is reliable and valid and is easy to administer. Future studies are needed in a larger sample to determine whether additional modifications are needed...
- Daar E, Tierney C, Fischl M, Sax P, Mollan K, Budhathoki C, et al. Atazanavir plus ritonavir or efavirenz as part of a 3-drug regimen for initial treatment of HIV-1. Ann Intern Med. 2011;154:445-56 pubmed publisher..Atazanavir plus ritonavir and efavirenz have similar antiviral activity when used with abacavir-lamivudine or tenofovir DF-emtricitabine. National Institutes of Health. ..
- Yee J, Phillips S, Allamehzadeh K, Herbst K. Subcutaneous adipose tissue fatty acid desaturation in adults with and without rare adipose disorders. Lipids Health Dis. 2012;11:19 pubmed publisher..Other mechanisms driving fat accumulation in DD such as inflammation or lymphatic dysfunction should be investigated. ..
- Callahan D, Keeley J, Alipour H, Devirgilio C, Kaji A, Plurad D, et al. Predictors of Severity in Diabetic FootÂ Infections. Ann Vasc Surg. 2016;33:103-8 pubmed publisher..Identification of these abnormalities preoperatively may allow for improved operative planning, shared decision making, and resource management. Prospective validation of these findings is potentially warranted. ..
- Crawford J, Amaru R, Song J, Julian C, Racimo F, Cheng J, et al. Natural Selection on Genes Related to Cardiovascular Health in High-Altitude Adapted Andeans. Am J Hum Genet. 2017;101:752-767 pubmed publisher..We hypothesize that selection in response to hypoxia in Andeans could have vascular effects and could serve to mitigate the deleterious effects of polycythemia rather than reduce polycythemia itself. ..
- Oudiz R, Barst R, Hansen J, Sun X, Garofano R, Wu X, et al. Cardiopulmonary exercise testing and six-minute walk correlations in pulmonary arterial hypertension. Am J Cardiol. 2006;97:123-6 pubmed..Weight adjustment of the 6MW improved its correlation with peak VO2. In conclusion, in future multicenter trials, CPET expertise should be validated at all sites before subject enrollment. ..
- Brass E, Vassil T, Replogle A, Hwang P, Rusche S, Shiffman S, et al. Can consumers self-select for appropriate use of an over-the-counter statin? The Self Evaluation of Lovastatin to Enhance Cholesterol Treatment Study. Am J Cardiol. 2008;101:1448-55 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, SELECT showed that consumers could use an OTC drug label in an unsupervised setting to appropriately self-select for self-management of their cholesterol with lovastatin. ..
- Ahmadi N, Hajsadeghi F, Gul K, Vane J, Usman N, Flores F, et al. Relations between digital thermal monitoring of vascular function, the Framingham risk score, and coronary artery calcium score. J Cardiovasc Comput Tomogr. 2008;2:382-8 pubmed publisher..79 for TR to 0.89 for TR + FRS. Vascular dysfunction measured by DTM strongly correlates with FRS and CAC independent of age, sex, and traditional cardiac risk factors and was superior to FRS for the prediction of significant CAC. ..
- Brass E, Cooper L, Morgan R, Hiatt W. A phase II dose-ranging study of the phosphodiesterase inhibitor K-134 in patients with peripheral artery disease and claudication. J Vasc Surg. 2012;55:381-389.e1 pubmed publisher..K-134 at a dose of 100 mg twice daily did not affect PWT according to the primary analysis, but K-134 and cilostazol both increased PWT when analyzed using a mixed-effects model and in the per-protocol population. ..
- Falor A, Zobel M, Kaji A, Neville A, De Virgilio C. Admission variables predictive of gangrenous cholecystitis. Am Surg. 2012;78:1075-8 pubmed..1 vs 3.6% in the acute cholecystitis group, P=0.01). The increased rate of conversion observed with surgery delay suggests that early laparoscopic cholecystectomy may be preferable in most patients...
- Wright M, Woo E, Birath J, Siders C, Kelly D, Wang C, et al. An index predictive of cognitive outcome in retired professional American Football players with a history of sports concussion. J Clin Exp Neuropsychol. 2016;38:561-71 pubmed publisher..Such indices may prove to be useful for clinical decision making and research. ..
- Zinner N, Dmochowski R, Staskin D, Siami P, Sand P, Oefelein M. Once-daily trospium chloride 60 mg extended-release provides effective, long-term relief of overactive bladder syndrome symptoms. Neurourol Urodyn. 2011;30:1214-9 pubmed publisher..Central nervous system AEs were rare and did not increase with long-term treatment. Long-term treatment of OAB with once-daily trospium 60 mg XR is effective and well tolerated. ..
- Reicher S, Boyar F, Albitar M, Sulcova V, Agersborg S, Nga V, et al. Fluorescence in situ hybridization and K-ras analyses improve diagnostic yield of endoscopic ultrasound-guided fine-needle aspiration of solid pancreatic masses. Pancreas. 2011;40:1057-62 pubmed publisher..8% accuracy. Combining routine cytology with FISH and K-ras analyses improves diagnostic yield of EUS-FNA of solid pancreatic masses. We propose to include these ancillary tests in the workup of atypical cytology from pancreatic EUS-FNA. ..
- Lukowsky L, Molnar M, Zaritsky J, Sim J, Mucsi I, Kovesdy C, et al. Mineral and bone disorders and survival in hemodialysis patients with and without polycystic kidney disease. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2012;27:2899-907 pubmed publisher..Bone-mineral disorder markers exhibit similar mortality trends between PKD and non-PKD MHD patients, although some differences are observed in particular in low PTH and phosphorus ranges. ..
- Witt M, Lewis R, Rieg G, Seaberg E, Rinaldo C, Thio C. Predictors of the isolated hepatitis B core antibody pattern in HIV-infected and -uninfected men in the multicenter AIDS cohort study. Clin Infect Dis. 2013;56:606-12 pubmed publisher..The isolated anti-HBc pattern likely represents resolved HBV infection with low or undetected anti-HBs. ..
- Lin H, Sinner M, Brody J, Arking D, Lunetta K, Rienstra M, et al. Targeted sequencing in candidate genes for atrial fibrillation: the Cohorts for Heart and Aging Research in Genomic Epidemiology (CHARGE) Targeted Sequencing Study. Heart Rhythm. 2014;11:452-7 pubmed publisher..Future sequencing efforts with larger sample sizes and more comprehensive genome coverage are anticipated to identify additional AF-related variants. ..
- Kim J, Koopmann M, Ihenachor E, Zeng A, Ryan T, Devirgilio C. The Addition of Ultrasound Arterial Examination to Upper Extremity Vein Mapping before Hemodialysis Access. Ann Vasc Surg. 2016;33:109-15 pubmed publisher..001). Preoperative Art-US may significantly change the operative plan, particularly when planning a RC AVF, and should be performed before HD access surgery at the wrist. ..
- Spracklen C, Chen P, Kim Y, Wang X, Cai H, Li S, et al. Association analyses of East Asian individuals and trans-ancestry analyses with European individuals reveal new loci associated with cholesterol and triglyceride levels. Hum Mol Genet. 2017;26:1770-1784 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these analyses identified multiple novel lipid loci, providing new potential therapeutic targets...
- Baik H, Budoff M, Lane K, Bakhsheshi H, Brundage B. Accurate measures of left ventricular ejection fraction using electron beam tomography: a comparison with radionuclide angiography, and cine angiography. Int J Card Imaging. 2000;16:391-8 pubmed..For LVEF < or = 40%, we demonstrated some disparate results between cine angiography and RNA and between EBT and RNA, indicating that CINE or EBT may provide more accurate assessment. ..
- Kalantar Zadeh K, Braglia A, Chow J, Kwon O, Kuwae N, Colman S, et al. An anti-inflammatory and antioxidant nutritional supplement for hypoalbuminemic hemodialysis patients: a pilot/feasibility study. J Ren Nutr. 2005;15:318-31 pubmed..8 g/dL, a marker of malnutrition-inflammation complex syndrome, is observed in approximately half of all maintenance hemodialysis (MHD) patients in the United States and is strongly associated with increased mortality...
- Zeb I, Budoff M. MESA: the NIH-sponsored study that validates atherosclerosis imaging for primary prevention. Curr Atheroscler Rep. 2011;13:353-8 pubmed publisher..That is why the US national guidelines have recently elevated their recommendation levels to Class IIa for use of CAC and CIMT in risk stratification of the asymptomatic intermediate-risk population. ..
- Taylor H, Tal A, Pal L, Li F, Black D, Brinton E, et al. Effects of Oral vs Transdermal Estrogen Therapy on Sexual Function in Early Postmenopause: Ancillary Study of the Kronos Early Estrogen Prevention Study (KEEPS). JAMA Intern Med. 2017;177:1471-1479 pubmed publisher..Sexual dysfunction, an important determinant of women's health and quality of life, is commonly associated with declining estrogen levels around the menopausal transition...
- Brass E, Hiatt W, Gardner A, Hoppel C. Decreased NADH dehydrogenase and ubiquinol-cytochrome c oxidoreductase in peripheral arterial disease. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2001;280:H603-9 pubmed
- Kalantar Zadeh K, Miller L, Daar E. Diagnostic discordance for hepatitis C virus infection in hemodialysis patients. Am J Kidney Dis. 2005;46:290-300 pubmed
- Pillutla P, Shetty K, Foster E. Mortality associated with adult congenital heart disease: Trends in the US population from 1979 to 2005. Am Heart J. 2009;158:874-9 pubmed publisher..Myocardial infarction is now the leading contributing cause for adults with noncyanotic congenital heart disease consistent with late survival and an increasing impact of acquired heart disease. ..
- Oliva J, French B, Qing X, French S. The identification of stem cells in human liver diseases and hepatocellular carcinoma. Exp Mol Pathol. 2010;88:331-40 pubmed publisher..The frequency of stem cells found in the different disease categories correlates with the frequency of HCC occurring in these different diseases. ..
- Lievense H, Kalantar Zadeh K, Lukowsky L, Molnar M, Duong U, Nissenson A, et al. Relationship of body size and initial dialysis modality on subsequent transplantation, mortality and weight gain of ESRD patients. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2012;27:3631-8 pubmed publisher..Treatment with PD is less likely to be associated with a significant weight gain and does not limit the access of obese patients to renal transplantation. ..
- Liang X, Margolis K, Hendryx M, Reeves K, Wassertheil Smoller S, WEITLAUF J, et al. Effect of depression before breast cancer diagnosis on mortality among postmenopausal women. Cancer. 2017;123:3107-3115 pubmed publisher..Cancer 2017;123:3107-15. © 2017 American Cancer Society. ..
- Zhao X, Stabile B, Mo J, Wang J, French S. Nesidioblastosis coexisting with islet cell tumor and intraductal papillary mucinous hyperplasia. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2001;125:1344-7 pubmed..To the best of our knowledge, this is the first report of nesidioblastosis coexisting with islet cell tumor and IPMH. ..
- Wang C, Swerdloff R, Kipnes M, Matsumoto A, Dobs A, Cunningham G, et al. New testosterone buccal system (Striant) delivers physiological testosterone levels: pharmacokinetics study in hypogonadal men. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2004;89:3821-9 pubmed..The T buccal system is a novel T formulation that offers a safe, effective, and convenient alternative to existing formulations for physiological T replacement therapy in hypogonadal men. ..
- Linfoot P, Bergstrom C, Ipp E. Pathophysiology of ketoacidosis in Type 2 diabetes mellitus. Diabet Med. 2005;22:1414-9 pubmed..024) and FFA (P < 0.002) and lower glucagon levels (P < 0.02) than DM2. At the time of hospital presentation, the predominant mechanism for ketosis in KPDM2 is likely to be greater insulinopenia. ..
- Molnar M, Streja E, Kovesdy C, Budoff M, Nissenson A, Krishnan M, et al. High platelet count as a link between renal cachexia and cardiovascular mortality in end-stage renal disease patients. Am J Clin Nutr. 2011;94:945-54 pubmed publisher..The role of platelet activation in cachexia-associated mortality warrants additional studies. ..
- Olfson E, Saccone N, Johnson E, Chen L, Culverhouse R, Doheny K, et al. Rare, low frequency and common coding variants in CHRNA5 and their contribution to nicotine dependence in European and African Americans. Mol Psychiatry. 2016;21:601-7 pubmed publisher..These newly identified variants likely influence the risk for smoking-related diseases such as lung cancer. ..
- de Vries P, Chasman D, Sabater Lleal M, Chen M, Huffman J, Steri M, et al. A meta-analysis of 120 246 individuals identifies 18 new loci for fibrinogen concentration. Hum Mol Genet. 2016;25:358-70 pubmed publisher..We further identified six additional independent signals, including three rare variants, at two previously characterized loci: FGB and IRF1. Together the 41 loci explain 3% of the variance in plasma fibrinogen concentration. ..
- Dehghan A, Bis J, White C, Smith A, Morrison A, Cupples L, et al. Genome-Wide Association Study for Incident Myocardial Infarction and Coronary Heart Disease in Prospective Cohort Studies: The CHARGE Consortium. PLoS ONE. 2016;11:e0144997 pubmed publisher..The association of the 9p21 locus both with increased risk of first myocardial infarction and longer survival after MI highlights the importance of study design in investigating genetic determinants of complex disorders. ..
- Pham X, Kim J, Parrish A, Tom C, Ihenachor E, Mina D, et al. Racial and Gender Differences in Arterial Anatomy of the Arm. Am Surg. 2016;82:973-976 pubmed..Consideration should be given for routine preoperative ultrasound to assess arterial anatomy before arteriovenous fistulas creation, particularly in women and in African-Americans. ..
- Konishi T, Calvillo M, Leng A, Feng J, Lee T, Lee H, et al. The ADH3*2 and CYP2E1 c2 alleles increase the risk of alcoholism in Mexican American men. Exp Mol Pathol. 2003;74:183-9 pubmed..4% vs 9.6% for c2 and 27.8% vs 13.5% for C allele). Taken together, ADH3*2 and CYP2E1 c2/C alleles might independently contribute to the development of alcoholism in Mexican American men. ..
- Zinner N, Noe L, Rasouliyan L, Marshall T, Seifeldin R. Impact of solifenacin on resource utilization, work productivity and health utility in overactive bladder patients switching from tolterodine ER. Curr Med Res Opin. 2008;24:1583-91 pubmed publisher..This was an open-label, non-comparative study; therefore, further research is needed to confirm these results. ..
- Kiramijyan S, Ahmadi N, Isma eel H, Flores F, Shaw L, Raggi P, et al. Impact of coronary artery calcium progression and statin therapy on clinical outcome in subjects with and without diabetes mellitus. Am J Cardiol. 2013;111:356-61 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that CAC progression is an independent predictor of all-cause mortality in patients with DM. ..