Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on middle aged in Los Angeles, California, United States
Locale: Los Angeles, California, United States
Topic: middle aged
Publications587 found, 100 shown here
- Arieff A, Gabbai R, Goldfine I. Cerebral Salt-Wasting Syndrome: Diagnosis by Urine Sodium Excretion. Am J Med Sci. 2017;354:350-354 pubmed publisher..Thus urine Na excretion and volume are very important for diagnosing the cause of hyponatremia in patients with cerebral lesions. ..
- Shoemaker W, Wo C, Thangathurai D, Velmahos G, Belzberg H, Asensio J, et al. Hemodynamic patterns of survivors and nonsurvivors during high risk elective surgical operations. World J Surg. 1999;23:1264-70; discussion 1270-1 pubmed..This suggests that lethal circulatory dysfunctions may begin during the intraoperative period but become more apparent before and after organs fail during later postoperative stages...
- Bernstein L, Demorest M, Tucker P. Speech perception without hearing. Percept Psychophys. 2000;62:233-52 pubmed..The results suggest that the necessity to perceive speech without hearing can be associated with enhanced visual phonetic perception in some individuals. ..
- Jo J, Blasi A, Valladares E, Juarez R, Baydur A, Khoo M. Determinants of heart rate variability in obstructive sleep apnea syndrome during wakefulness and sleep. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2005;288:H1103-12 pubmed
- Aronow H, Weston A, Pezeshki B, Lazarus T. Effects of coinfection with HIV and hepatitis C virus on the nervous system. AIDS Read. 2008;18:43-8 pubmed
- Loh Y, Jahan R, McArthur D, Shi Z, Gonzalez N, Duckwiler G, et al. Recanalization rates decrease with increasing thrombectomy attempts. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2010;31:935-9 pubmed publisher..006). In our experience, 3 may be the optimum number of Merci retrieval attempts per target vessel occlusion. Four or more attempts may not improve the chances of recanalization, while increasing the risk of complications. ..
- Memarzadeh F, Ying Lai M, Chung J, Azen S, Varma R. Blood pressure, perfusion pressure, and open-angle glaucoma: the Los Angeles Latino Eye Study. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2010;51:2872-7 pubmed publisher..Low diastolic, systolic and mean perfusion pressures, low diastolic blood pressure, and high systolic and mean arterial blood pressures are associated with a higher prevalence of OAG in adult Latinos. ..
- Sanchez D, Diez Roux A, Michos E, Blumenthal R, Schreiner P, Burke G, et al. Comparison of the racial/ethnic prevalence of regular aspirin use for the primary prevention of coronary heart disease from the multi-ethnic study of atherosclerosis. Am J Cardiol. 2011;107:41-6 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, regular aspirin use in adults at increased and high risk for coronary heart disease remains suboptimal. Important racial/ethnic disparities exist for unclear reasons. ..
- Narayan S, Baykaner T, Clopton P, Schricker A, Lalani G, Krummen D, et al. Ablation of rotor and focal sources reduces late recurrence of atrial fibrillation compared with trigger ablation alone: extended follow-up of the CONFIRM trial (Conventional Ablation for Atrial Fibrillation With or Without Focal Impulse and Rotor Mo. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2014;63:1761-8 pubmed publisher..Future studies should investigate how ablation of patient-specific AF-sustaining rotors and focal sources alters the natural history of arrhythmia recurrence. (The Dynamics of Human Atrial Fibrillation; NCT01008722). ..
- Namba R, Inacio M, Cheetham T, Dell R, Paxton E, Khatod M. Lower Total Knee Arthroplasty Revision Risk Associated With Bisphosphonate Use, Even in Patients With Normal Bone Density. J Arthroplasty. 2016;31:537-41 pubmed publisher..1%, a periprosthetic fracture. Bisphosphonate use was associated with lower risk of revision in all bone quality categories in those older than 65 years. The risk of periprosthetic fractures was higher for patients on BP. ..
- Latorre R, Huynh J, Mazzoni M, Gupta A, Bonora E, Clavenzani P, et al. Expression of the Bitter Taste Receptor, T2R38, in Enteroendocrine Cells of the Colonic Mucosa of Overweight/Obese vs. Lean Subjects. PLoS ONE. 2016;11:e0147468 pubmed publisher..T2R38 might mediate host functional responses to increased energy balance and intraluminal changes occurring in obesity, which could involve peptide release from enteroendocrine cells. ..
- Strom S, Clark M, Martinez A, Garcia S, Abelazeem A, Matynia A, et al. De Novo Occurrence of a Variant in ARL3 and Apparent Autosomal Dominant Transmission of Retinitis Pigmentosa. PLoS ONE. 2016;11:e0150944 pubmed publisher..No additional putative causal variants in ARL3 were identified in the follow-up cohort, suggesting that if ARL3 variants can cause adRP it is an extremely rare phenomenon. ..
- Han K, Seligson D, Liu X, Horvath S, Shintaku P, Thomas G, et al. Prostate stem cell antigen expression is associated with gleason score, seminal vesicle invasion and capsular invasion in prostate cancer. J Urol. 2004;171:1117-21 pubmed..The results of this study suggest that PSCA is a promising tumor marker for the selection of patients at high risk but additional studies are necessary to assess the usefulness of PSCA in patient biopsies. ..
- Jensen D, Pace S, Soffer E, Comer G. Continuous infusion of pantoprazole versus ranitidine for prevention of ulcer rebleeding: a U.S. multicenter randomized, double-blind study. Am J Gastroenterol. 2006;101:1991-9; quiz 2170 pubmed..1%]vs 7 [9.7%], p= 0.16). Because of the small sample size of this study, there was an arithmetic but not significant difference in ulcer rebleeding rates. ..
- Ogunyemi D, Solnik M, Alexander C, Fong A, Azziz R. Promoting residents' professional development and academic productivity using a structured faculty mentoring program. Teach Learn Med. 2010;22:93-6 pubmed publisher..Mentoring should be strongly encouraged for residents, especially those with specific deficiencies. ..
- Halim A, Baumgartner L, Binder D. Effect of deep brain stimulation on autonomic dysfunction in patients with Parkinson's disease. J Clin Neurosci. 2011;18:804-6 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest the utility of a larger prospective study. ..
- Richard C, Fayad J, DOHERTY J, Linthicum F. Round window versus cochleostomy technique in cochlear implantation: histologic findings. Otol Neurotol. 2012;33:1181-7 pubmed publisher..Future studies may clarify whether today's techniques and electrodes will produce these same patterns of damage. ..
- Ferrell B, Sun V, Hurria A, Cristea M, Raz D, Kim J, et al. Interdisciplinary Palliative Care for Patients With Lung Cancer. J Pain Symptom Manage. 2015;50:758-67 pubmed publisher..those with Stage IV disease. Interdisciplinary palliative care in the ambulatory care setting resulted in significant improvements in QOL, symptoms, and distress for NSCLC patients. ..
- Neveu B, Jain P, TÃªtu B, Wu L, Fradet Y, Pouliot F. A PCA3 gene-based transcriptional amplification system targeting primary prostate cancer. Oncotarget. 2016;7:1300-10 pubmed publisher..4-fold, p < 0.0001). PCA3-3STA therefore represents a PCa-specific expression system with the potential to target, with high accuracy, primary or metastatic PCa epithelial cells for imaging, vaccines, or gene therapy. ..
- Giuliano A, Ballman K, McCall L, Beitsch P, Brennan M, Kelemen P, et al. Effect of Axillary Dissection vs No Axillary Dissection on 10-Year Overall Survival Among Women With Invasive Breast Cancer and Sentinel Node Metastasis: The ACOSOG Z0011 (Alliance) Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA. 2017;318:918-926 pubmed publisher..These findings do not support routine use of axillary lymph node dissection in this patient population based on 10-year outcomes. clinicaltrials.gov Identifier: NCT00003855. ..
- Chakrabarti I, Amar A, Couldwell W, Weiss M. Long-term neurological, visual, and endocrine outcomes following transnasal resection of craniopharyngioma. J Neurosurg. 2005;102:650-7 pubmed..Even in mostly suprasellar cases, an extended TN approach can afford complete resection. Note that endocrine function often worsens after surgery and that postoperative obesity can be a significant problem. ..
- Kim L, Khurana R, Parikh J, Rao N. Melanin-laden macrophages in the CSF to diagnose Vogt-Koyanagi-Harada simulating ocular syphilis. Ocul Immunol Inflamm. 2008;16:59-61 pubmed publisher..Subsequent treatment with corticosteroids and cyclosporine resulted in significant improvement of vision. The presence of melanin-laden macrophages within the CSF allows for the differentiation of VKH from ocular syphilis. ..
- Patil C, Alexander A, Hayden Gephart M, Lad S, Arrigo R, Boakye M. A population-based study of inpatient outcomes after operative management of nontraumatic intracerebral hemorrhage in the United States. World Neurosurg. 2012;78:640-5 pubmed publisher..Male gender, preoperative comorbidities, complications, and low hospital volume were associated with an increased risk of in-hospital mortality. ..
- Fogel B, Lee J, Lane J, Wahnich A, Chan S, Huang A, et al. Mutations in rare ataxia genes are uncommon causes of sporadic cerebellar ataxia. Mov Disord. 2012;27:442-6 pubmed publisher..Rare genetic ataxias, reported only in specific populations or families, may contribute to a percentage of sporadic ataxia...
- Ray L, Bujarski S, MacKillop J, Courtney K, Monti P, Miotto K. Subjective response to alcohol among alcohol-dependent individuals: effects of the ?-opioid receptor (OPRM1) gene and alcoholism severity. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2013;37 Suppl 1:E116-24 pubmed publisher..A secondary aim of this study is to examine alcoholism severity as a predictor of subjective responses to alcohol...
- Awad M, Czer L, De Robertis M, Mirocha J, Ruzza A, Rafiei M, et al. Adult Heart Transplantation Following Ventricular Assist Device Implantation: Early and Late Outcomes. Transplant Proc. 2016;48:158-66 pubmed publisher..Long-term (1-, 2-, 5-, 10-, and 12-year) survival did not differ significantly in HTx patients with prior VAD or non-VAD cardiac surgery. ..
- Yang O, Cumberland W, Escobar R, Liao D, Chew K. Demographics and natural history of HIV-1-infected spontaneous controllers of viremia. AIDS. 2017;31:1091-1098 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that SCV represents an extreme along a continuum of HIV-1 infection, and not qualitative difference. ..
- Feldman J, Gruskin S, Coull B, Krieger N. Quantifying underreporting of law-enforcement-related deaths in United States vital statistics and news-media-based data sources: A capture-recapture analysis. PLoS Med. 2017;14:e1002399 pubmed publisher..g., Taser) versus firearm mechanisms, and deaths recorded by a medical examiner versus coroner...
- De Salles A, Pedroso A, Medin P, Agazaryan N, Solberg T, Cabatan Awang C, et al. Spinal lesions treated with Novalis shaped beam intensity-modulated radiosurgery and stereotactic radiotherapy. J Neurosurg. 2004;101 Suppl 3:435-40 pubmed..Shaped beam and IMRS/IMRT involving the Novalis system may delay neurological deterioration, improving QOL. The lack of complication suggests that higher doses can be delivered to improve the control rate in patients with metastases. ..
- Nissen N, Grewal N, Lee J, Nawabi A, Korman J. Completely laparoscopic nonanatomic hepatic resection using saline-cooled cautery and hydrodissection. Am Surg. 2007;73:987-90 pubmed..This report demonstrates the feasibility of completely laparoscopic hepatic resection using novel devices for parenchymal transaction. Hand-assist techniques remain useful as a salvage strategy or for larger resections. ..
- Comin Anduix B, Sazegar H, Chodon T, Matsunaga D, Jalil J, von Euw E, et al. Modulation of cell signaling networks after CTLA4 blockade in patients with metastatic melanoma. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e12711 pubmed publisher..The strong modulation of signaling networks in monocytes suggests that this cell subset may be involved in clinical responses to CTLA4 blockade. clinicaltrials.gov; Registration numbers NCT00090896 and NCT00471887. ..
- Bradfield J, Shapiro S, Finch W, Tung R, Boyle N, Buch E, et al. Catheter ablation of typical atrial flutter in severe pulmonary hypertension. J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol. 2012;23:1185-90 pubmed publisher..The SPAP and BNP levels may decrease postablation. AFL may be a marker of poor outcomes in patients with PAH with a 1-year mortality rate of 42% in this study. This rate is higher than expected in the general PAH population. ..
- Labus J, Hubbard C, Bueller J, Ebrat B, Tillisch K, Chen M, et al. Impaired emotional learning and involvement of the corticotropin-releasing factor signaling system in patients with irritable bowel syndrome. Gastroenterology. 2013;145:1253-61.e1-3 pubmed publisher..This up-regulation might contribute to the previously reported abnormal brain responses to expected abdominal pain. ..
- Meeker D, Knight T, Friedberg M, Linder J, Goldstein N, Fox C, et al. Nudging guideline-concordant antibiotic prescribing: a randomized clinical trial. JAMA Intern Med. 2014;174:425-31 pubmed publisher..The effect of this simple, low-cost intervention is comparable in magnitude to costlier, more intensive quality-improvement efforts. clinicaltrials.gov identifier: NCT01767064. ..
- Marrs R, Ringler G, Stein A, Vargyas J, Stone B. The use of surrogate gestational carriers for assisted reproductive technologies. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1993;168:1858-61; discussion 1861-3 pubmed..Fifteen of the 45 couples (33%) had a child from the surrogate gestational carrier program. No significant differences in clinical outcome were observed on the basis of the type of procedure performed or the age of the patient. ..
- Goodarzi M, Taylor K, Guo X, Quiñones M, Cui J, Li Y, et al. Association of the diabetes gene calpain-10 with subclinical atherosclerosis: the Mexican-American Coronary Artery Disease Study. Diabetes. 2005;54:1228-32 pubmed..The fact that the diabetes gene CAPN10 also influences the risk for atherosclerosis shows that inherited factors may underlie the frequent co-occurrence of these two conditions. ..
- Wang N, Song H, Schanen N, Litman N, Frasier S. Frasier syndrome comes full circle: genetic studies performed in an original patient. J Pediatr. 2005;146:843-4 pubmed..In this report, we identify a classic mutation in the Wilms' tumor 1 gene in one of the original cases of Frasier syndrome reported in this Journal in 1964...
- Schwarcz R, Ben Simon G, Cook T, Goldberg R. Sclerosing therapy as first line treatment for low flow vascular lesions of the orbit. Am J Ophthalmol. 2006;141:333-9 pubmed..It may be a better alternative to surgery for low flow orbital tumors, which includes lymphangioma. ..
- Sharif S, Goldberg B. Detection of IgE antibodies to bacitracin using a commercially available streptavidin-linked solid phase in a patient with anaphylaxis to triple antibiotic ointment. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2007;98:563-6 pubmed..We demonstrate the presence of IgE antibodies to bacitracin in a patient with anaphylaxis to triple antibiotic ointment using a recently described procedure for producing custom allergen solid phases for immunoassay. ..
- Bingham T, Secura G, Behel S, Bunch J, Simon P, MacKellar D. HIV risk factors reported by two samples of male bathhouse attendees in Los Angeles, California, 2001-2002. Sex Transm Dis. 2008;35:631-6 pubmed publisher..Comprehensive prevention services provided within bathhouses may reduce undiagnosed HIV infections among MSM, and targeting HIV prevention at the bathhouse may reduce risks with partners both inside and outside the bathhouse. ..
- Fraser Bell S, Choudhury F, Klein R, Azen S, Varma R. Ocular risk factors for age-related macular degeneration: the Los Angeles Latino Eye Study. Am J Ophthalmol. 2010;149:735-40 pubmed publisher..Additionally, prior cataract surgery was associated with advanced AMD. ..
- Jadvar H. Prostate cancer: PET with 18F-FDG, 18F- or 11C-acetate, and 18F- or 11C-choline. J Nucl Med. 2011;52:81-9 pubmed publisher..In this article, I review the preclinical and clinical evidence on the potential and emerging role of PET with the 3 most commonly studied radiotracers in prostate cancer, namely 18F-FDG, 18F- or 11C-acetate, and 18F- or 11C-choline. ..
- Furst D, Amato A, Iorga S, Gajria K, Fernandes A. Epidemiology of adult idiopathic inflammatory myopathies in a U.S. managed care plan. Muscle Nerve. 2012;45:676-83 pubmed publisher..Because of the limitations inherent in claims analysis, additional research is needed to substantiate these results. ..
- Wallace D, Kalunian K, Petri M, Strand V, Houssiau F, Pike M, et al. Efficacy and safety of epratuzumab in patients with moderate/severe active systemic lupus erythematosus: results from EMBLEM, a phase IIb, randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, multicentre study. Ann Rheum Dis. 2014;73:183-90 pubmed publisher..Treatment with epratuzumab 2400 mg cd was well tolerated in patients with moderately to severely active SLE, and associated with improvements in disease activity. Phase III studies are ongoing. ..
- Dang C, Estrada S, Bresee C, Phillips E. Exploring potential use of internet, E-mail, and instant text messaging to promote breast health and mammogram use among immigrant Hispanic women in Los Angeles County. Am Surg. 2013;79:997-1000 pubmed..001). In fact, 45 per cent wish to receive a mammogram reminder by text. Text messaging may be an inexpensive way to promote breast health and screening mammography use among uninsured HW. ..
- Rivara M, Soohoo M, Streja E, Molnar M, Rhee C, Cheung A, et al. Association of Vascular Access Type with Mortality, Hospitalization, and Transfer to In-Center Hemodialysis in Patients Undergoing Home Hemodialysis. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2016;11:298-307 pubmed publisher..Additional studies are needed to identify interventions which may reduce risk associated with use of CVCs among patients undergoing home HD. ..
- Zargar H, Zargar Shoshtari K, Lotan Y, Shah J, van Rhijn B, Daneshmand S, et al. Final Pathological Stage after Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy and Radical Cystectomy for Bladder Cancer-Does pT0 Predict Better Survival than pTa/Tis/T1?. J Urol. 2016;195:886-93 pubmed publisher..We did not discern a statistically significant difference in overall survival when comparing these 2 end points. ..
- Mobin F, De Salles A, Behnke E, Frysinger R. Correlation between MRI-based stereotactic thalamic deep brain stimulation electrode placement, macroelectrode stimulation and clinical response to tremor control. Stereotact Funct Neurosurg. 1999;72:225-32 pubmed..001) inferior to the level of the AC-PC line. In our experience, thalamic DBS offers a reversible and adjustable 'lesion' to compensate for the anatomic variabilities encountered in the positioning of the DBS electrode tip. ..
- Prakash M, Poreddy V, Tiyyagura L, Bonacini M. Jaundice and hepatocellular damage associated with nevirapine therapy. Am J Gastroenterol. 2001;96:1571-4 pubmed..Nevirapine has been associated with a skin rash in 32 to 48% of patients. Recent reports indicate that hepatic toxicity also occurs...
- Chen J, Amar A, Choi S, Singer P, Couldwell W, Weiss M. Transsphenoidal microsurgical treatment of Cushing disease: postoperative assessment of surgical efficacy by application of an overnight low-dose dexamethasone suppression test. J Neurosurg. 2003;98:967-73 pubmed..Postoperative cortisol levels can be used as a useful prognostic indicator of the likelihood of future recurrence following transsphenoidal adenomectomy in CD. ..
- Esposito F, Kelly D, Vinters H, DeSalles A, Sercarz J, Gorgulhos A. Primary sphenoid sinus neoplasms: a report of four cases with common clinical presentation treated with transsphenoidal surgery and adjuvant therapies. J Neurooncol. 2006;76:299-306 pubmed..Their aggressive nature warrants a multimodality treatment plan including surgical debulking, radiotherapy, and chemotherapy in some cases. ..
- Spencer C, Hollowell J, Kazarosyan M, Braverman L. National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey III thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH)-thyroperoxidase antibody relationships demonstrate that TSH upper reference limits may be skewed by occult thyroid dysfunction. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2007;92:4236-40 pubmed..TSH upper reference limits may be skewed by TPOAb-negative individuals with occult autoimmune thyroid dysfunction. ..
- Nakano I, Masterman Smith M, Saigusa K, Paucar A, Horvath S, Shoemaker L, et al. Maternal embryonic leucine zipper kinase is a key regulator of the proliferation of malignant brain tumors, including brain tumor stem cells. J Neurosci Res. 2008;86:48-60 pubmed..These results demonstrate a critical role for MELK in the proliferation of brain tumors, including their stem cells, and suggest that MELK may be a compelling molecular target for treatment of high-grade brain tumors. ..
- Tabibian J, Gornbein J, Heidari A, Dien S, Lau V, Chahal P, et al. Uropathogens and host characteristics. J Clin Microbiol. 2008;46:3980-6 pubmed publisher..aeruginosa UTI: 38% of patients with P. aeruginosa UTIs fit this profile. These data may be useful for planning future targeted prophylaxis studies...
- Shuch B, LaRochelle J, Onyia T, Vallera C, Margulis D, Pantuck A, et al. Intraoperative thrombus embolization during nephrectomy and tumor thrombectomy: critical analysis of the University of California-Los Angeles experience. J Urol. 2009;181:492-8; discussion 498-9 pubmed publisher..Adjunct procedures, such as preoperative filters and endoluminal occlusive balloons, may be justified in patients at high risk. Even with prompt recognition and embolectomy survival is rare. ..
- Koneru J, Kaszala K, Bordachar P, Shehata M, Swerdlow C, Ellenbogen K. Spectrum of issues detected by an ICD diagnostic alert that utilizes far-field electrograms: Clinical implications. Heart Rhythm. 2015;12:957-67 pubmed publisher..The latter might have fatal consequences. The true accuracy of these algorithms needs to be evaluated in large-scale real-life prospective clinical studies. ..
- O Neil B, Koyama T, Alvarez J, Conwill R, Albertsen P, Cooperberg M, et al. The Comparative Harms of Open and Robotic Prostatectomy in Population Based Samples. J Urol. 2016;195:321-9 pubmed publisher..The clinical meaning of these differences is uncertain and longer followup will be required to establish whether these benefits are durable. ..
- Hariri A, Velaga S, Girach A, Ip M, Le P, Lam B, et al. Measurement and Reproducibility of Preserved Ellipsoid Zone Area and Preserved Retinal Pigment Epithelium Area in Eyes With Choroideremia. Am J Ophthalmol. 2017;179:110-117 pubmed publisher..These variables would be potential anatomic outcome measures for CHM clinical trials and could be studied and tracked longitudinally in choroideremia. ..
- Eremia S, Li C. Treatment of face veins with a cryogen spray variable pulse width 1064 nm Nd:YAG Laser: a prospective study of 17 patients. Dermatol Surg. 2002;28:244-7 pubmed..For the first time we appear to have a simple, safe, and effective treatment for 1-2 mm periorbital reticular veins. The use of topical anesthesia may be needed for some patients. ..
- Perry K, Zisman A, Singer J, Schulam P. Splenosis presenting as a right suprarenal retroperitoneal mass. J Urol. 2002;168:644-5 pubmed
- Abreu M, Taylor K, Lin Y, Hang T, Gaiennie J, Landers C, et al. Mutations in NOD2 are associated with fibrostenosing disease in patients with Crohn's disease. Gastroenterology. 2002;123:679-88 pubmed..In this description of a genotype/phenotype correlation in CD patients and NOD2 variants, data suggest that variation in this gene contributes to the occurrence of fibrostenotic CD of the small bowel. ..
- Sach J, Bolus R, FitzGerald L, Naliboff B, Chang L, Mayer E. Is there a difference between abdominal pain and discomfort in moderate to severe IBS patients?. Am J Gastroenterol. 2002;97:3131-8 pubmed..These findings are most consistent with a cognitive labeling bias of visceral sensations as either pain or discomfort. ..
- Peterson B, Zhang J, Iglesias R, Kabo M, Hedrick M, Benhaim P, et al. Healing of critically sized femoral defects, using genetically modified mesenchymal stem cells from human adipose tissue. Tissue Eng. 2005;11:120-9 pubmed..The HPLA cells alone did not induce significant bone formation. However, when combined with an osteoinductive factor these cells may be an effective method for enhancing bone healing and the tissue engineering of bone. ..
- McClean D, Aragon J, Jamali A, Kar S, Ritzema Carter J, Troughton R, et al. Noninvasive calibration of cardiac pressure transducers in patients with heart failure: an aid to implantable hemodynamic monitoring and therapeutic guidance. J Card Fail. 2006;12:568-76 pubmed
- Khoueir P, Oh B, DiRisio D, Wang M. Multilevel anterior cervical fusion using a collagen-hydroxyapatite matrix with iliac crest bone marrow aspirate: an 18-month follow-up study. Neurosurgery. 2007;61:963-70; discussion 970-1 pubmed..Although randomized, controlled studies are necessary to determine whether or not the fusion rates are superior to those obtained from using allograft alone, these results compare favorably to historical data in the literature. ..
- Teixeira P, Inaba K, Shulman I, Salim A, Demetriades D, Brown C, et al. Impact of plasma transfusion in massively transfused trauma patients. J Trauma. 2009;66:693-7 pubmed publisher..The objective of this study was to determine the optimal use of fresh-frozen plasma (FFP) in trauma. Our hypothesis was that a higher FFP: packed red blood cells (PRBC) ratio is associated with improved survival...
- Ritz B, Manthripragada A, Qian L, Schernhammer E, Wermuth L, Olsen J, et al. Statin use and Parkinson's disease in Denmark. Mov Disord. 2010;25:1210-6 pubmed publisher..Yet, further investigations into the contributions of intensity, duration, and lag periods of statin use may still be warranted. ..
- Wardak M, Schiepers C, Dahlbom M, Cloughesy T, Chen W, Satyamurthy N, et al. Discriminant analysis of ¹?F-fluorothymidine kinetic parameters to predict survival in patients with recurrent high-grade glioma. Clin Cancer Res. 2011;17:6553-62 pubmed publisher..Discriminant analysis using changes in ¹?F-FLT kinetic parameters early during treatment seems to be a powerful method for evaluating the efficacy of therapeutic regimens. ..
- Anton P, Saunders T, Elliott J, Khanukhova E, Dennis R, Adler A, et al. First phase 1 double-blind, placebo-controlled, randomized rectal microbicide trial using UC781 gel with a novel index of ex vivo efficacy. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e23243 pubmed publisher..A first-in-Phase 1 assessment of preliminary pharmacodynamics was included by measuring changes in ex vivo HIV-1 suppression in rectal biopsy tissue after exposure to product in vivo...
- Alperin M, Kivnick S, Poon K. Outpatient laparoscopic hysterectomy for large uteri. J Minim Invasive Gynecol. 2012;19:689-94 pubmed publisher..To determine the incidence of perioperative complications associated with laparoscopic hysterectomies performed for very large uteri on an outpatient basis...
- Donovan E, Mehringer S, Zeltzer L. A qualitative analysis of adolescent, caregiver, and clinician perceptions of the impact of migraines on adolescents' social functioning. Pain Manag Nurs. 2013;14:e135-e141 pubmed publisher..There are a number of unmet needs among adolescents with recurrent migraine and their families. Interviews with adolescents, caregivers, and clinicians suggest a number of areas for intervention. ..
- Muscatell K, Eisenberger N, Dutcher J, Cole S, Bower J. Links between inflammation, amygdala reactivity, and social support in breast cancer survivors. Brain Behav Immun. 2016;53:34-38 pubmed publisher..These data suggest the possibility of a stronger "neural-immune pipeline" among breast cancer survivors, such that peripheral inflammation is more strongly associated with neural activity in threat-related brain regions. ..
- Rao M, Atay S, Shukla V, Hong Y, Upham T, Ripley R, et al. Mithramycin Depletes Specificity Protein 1 and Activates p53 to Mediate Senescence and Apoptosis of Malignant Pleural Mesothelioma Cells. Clin Cancer Res. 2016;22:1197-210 pubmed publisher..These findings provide preclinical rationale for phase II evaluation of mithramycin in patients with mesothelioma. ..
- Gay H, Sanda M, Liu J, Wu N, Hamstra D, Wei J, et al. External Beam Radiation Therapy or Brachytherapy With or Without Short-course Neoadjuvant Androgen Deprivation Therapy: Results of a Multicenter, Prospective Study of Quality of Life. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2017;98:304-317 pubmed publisher..The improved survival in intermediate- and high-risk patients receiving NADT and EBRT necessitates pretreatment counseling of the HRQOL effect of NADT and EBRT. ..
- Steiner A, Recacho J, Vanle B, Dang J, Wright S, Miller J, et al. Quality of Life, Functioning, and Depressive Symptom Severity in Older Adults With Major Depressive Disorder Treated With Citalopram in the STAR*D Study. J Clin Psychiatry. 2017;78:897-903 pubmed publisher..ClinicalTrials.gov identifier: NCT00021528. ..
- Ermak G, Morgan T, Davies K. Chronic overexpression of the calcineurin inhibitory gene DSCR1 (Adapt78) is associated with Alzheimer's disease. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:38787-94 pubmed..Our findings associate DSCR1 (Adapt78) with such major hallmarks of Alzheimer's disease as amyloid protein, senile plaques, and neurofibrillary tangles. ..
- Castro D, Sridhar K, Garewal H, Mills G, Wenig B, Dunphy F, et al. Intratumoral cisplatin/epinephrine gel in advanced head and neck cancer: a multicenter, randomized, double-blind, phase III study in North America. Head Neck. 2003;25:717-31 pubmed..Renal and hematologic toxicities were rare. This phase III trial showed that CDDP/epi gel significantly reduces tumor burden, palliates tumor-related symptoms, and is an effective local treatment for recurrent tumors. ..
- Brown C, Rhee P, Chan L, Evans K, Demetriades D, Velmahos G. Preventing renal failure in patients with rhabdomyolysis: do bicarbonate and mannitol make a difference?. J Trauma. 2004;56:1191-6 pubmed..BIC/MAN does not prevent RF, dialysis, or mortality in patients with creatine kinase levels greater than 5,000 U/L. The standard of administering BIC/MAN to patients with post-traumatic rhabdomyolysis should be reevaluated. ..
- Clark P, Stein J, Groshen S, Miranda G, Cai J, Lieskovsky G, et al. The management of urethral transitional cell carcinoma after radical cystectomy for invasive bladder cancer. J Urol. 2004;172:1342-7 pubmed..Urethral stage (superficial vs invasive disease) at diagnosis is the most import predictor of overall survival in this cohort of patients. ..
- Aldave A, Rayner S, King J, Affeldt J, Yellore V. A unique corneal dystrophy of Bowman's layer and stroma associated with the Gly623Asp mutation in the transforming growth factor beta-induced (TGFBI) gene. Ophthalmology. 2005;112:1017-22 pubmed
- Storer T, Woodhouse L, Sattler F, Singh A, Schroeder E, Beck K, et al. A randomized, placebo-controlled trial of nandrolone decanoate in human immunodeficiency virus-infected men with mild to moderate weight loss with recombinant human growth hormone as active reference treatment. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2005;90:4474-82 pubmed..We conclude that nandrolone is superior to placebo and not significantly different from a Food and Drug Administration-approved regimen of rhGH in improving lean body mass in HIV-infected men with mild to moderate weight loss. ..
- Farrell J, Elsaleh H, Garcia M, Lai R, Ammar A, Regine W, et al. Human equilibrative nucleoside transporter 1 levels predict response to gemcitabine in patients with pancreatic cancer. Gastroenterology. 2009;136:187-95 pubmed publisher..These findings are supported by preclinical data; the gemcitabine transporter hENT1 is therefore a molecular and mechanistically relevant predictive marker of benefit from gemcitabine in patients with resected pancreatic cancer. ..