Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on meiosis in Davis, California, United States
Locale: Davis, California, United States
- McGee M, Stagljar I, Starr D. KDP-1 is a nuclear envelope KASH protein required for cell-cycle progression. J Cell Sci. 2009;122:2895-905 pubmed publisher..The data suggest that KDP-1 is a novel KASH protein that functions to ensure the timely progression of the cell cycle between the end of S phase and the entry into mitosis. ..
- Laurencon A, Orme C, Peters H, Boulton C, Vladar E, Langley S, et al. A large-scale screen for mutagen-sensitive loci in Drosophila. Genetics. 2004;167:217-31 pubmed..At least one allele of each new gene identified in this study is available at the Bloomington Stock Center. ..
- Peoples T, Dean E, Gonzalez O, Lambourne L, Burgess S. Close, stable homolog juxtaposition during meiosis in budding yeast is dependent on meiotic recombination, occurs independently of synapsis, and is distinct from DSB-independent pairing contacts. Genes Dev. 2002;16:1682-95 pubmed..These data suggest that stable, close homolog juxtaposition in yeast is distinct from pre-DSB pairing interactions, requires both DSB and SEI formation, but does not depend on crossovers or SC. ..
- Page S, Hawley R. c(3)G encodes a Drosophila synaptonemal complex protein. Genes Dev. 2001;15:3130-43 pubmed..Moreover, the observation of interference among the residual exchanges in these mutant oocytes implies that complete SC formation is not required for crossover interference in Drosophila. ..
- McNally K, McNally F. The spindle assembly function of Caenorhabditis elegans katanin does not require microtubule-severing activity. Mol Biol Cell. 2011;22:1550-60 pubmed publisher..This unique bipartite microtubule-binding structure may mediate the spindle-pole assembly activity of katanin during female meiosis. ..
- Ellefson M, McNally F. CDK-1 inhibits meiotic spindle shortening and dynein-dependent spindle rotation in C. elegans. J Cell Biol. 2011;193:1229-44 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that CDK-1 blocks rotation by inhibiting dynein association with microtubules and with LIN-5-ASPM-1 at meiotic spindle poles and that the APC promotes spindle rotation by inhibiting CDK-1. ..
- Wu H, Burgess S. Ndj1, a telomere-associated protein, promotes meiotic recombination in budding yeast. Mol Cell Biol. 2006;26:3683-94 pubmed..These findings provide a link between telomere dynamics and a distinct mechanistic step of meiotic recombination that follows the homology search. ..
- Qiao H, Chen J, Reynolds A, Hoog C, PADDY M, Hunter N. Interplay between synaptonemal complex, homologous recombination, and centromeres during mammalian meiosis. PLoS Genet. 2012;8:e1002790 pubmed publisher..We propose that SC fragments retained during diplonema stabilize nascent bivalents and help orchestrate local chromosome reorganization that promotes centromere and chiasma function...
- Matthies H, Messina L, Namba R, Greer K, Walker M, Hawley R. Mutations in the alpha-tubulin 67C gene specifically impair achiasmate segregation in Drosophila melanogaster. J Cell Biol. 1999;147:1137-44 pubmed..These results suggest that the accurate segregation of achiasmate chromosomes requires the proper balancing of forces acting on the chromosomes during prometaphase. ..
- McKim K, Dahmus J, Hawley R. Cloning of the Drosophila melanogaster meiotic recombination gene mei-218: a genetic and molecular analysis of interval 15E. Genetics. 1996;144:215-28 pubmed..The mei-218 gene is predicted to produce an 1186-amino acid protein that has no significant similarities to any known proteins. ..
- Sekelsky J, McKim K, Chin G, Hawley R. The Drosophila meiotic recombination gene mei-9 encodes a homologue of the yeast excision repair protein Rad1. Genetics. 1995;141:619-27 pubmed..cerevisiae, in that it requires an NER protein. The biochemical properties of the Rad1 protein allow us to explain the observation that mei-9 mutants suppress reciprocal exchange without suppressing the frequency of gene conversion. ..
- McKim K, Jang J, Theurkauf W, Hawley R. Mechanical basis of meiotic metaphase arrest. Nature. 1993;362:364-6 pubmed..We conclude that metaphase arrest results from the balancing of kinetochore forces due to chiasmata. ..
- Sekelsky J, Burtis K, Hawley R. Damage control: the pleiotropy of DNA repair genes in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 1998;148:1587-98 pubmed
- Jaramillo Lambert A, Harigaya Y, Vitt J, Villeneuve A, Engebrecht J. Meiotic errors activate checkpoints that improve gamete quality without triggering apoptosis in male germ cells. Curr Biol. 2010;20:2078-89 pubmed publisher..We propose that the recombination checkpoint functions in male germ cells to promote repair of meiotic recombination intermediates, thereby improving the fidelity of chromosome transmission in the absence of apoptosis. ..
- Oh S, Lao J, Taylor A, Smith G, Hunter N. RecQ helicase, Sgs1, and XPF family endonuclease, Mus81-Mms4, resolve aberrant joint molecules during meiotic recombination. Mol Cell. 2008;31:324-36 pubmed publisher..We conclude that Sgs1 and Mus81-Mms4 collaborate to eliminate aberrant JMs, whereas as-yet-unidentified enzymes process normal JMs. ..
- Hawley R. Meiosis as an "M" thing: twenty-five years of meiotic mutants in Drosophila. Genetics. 1993;135:613-8 pubmed
- Oh S, Lao J, Hwang P, Taylor A, Smith G, Hunter N. BLM ortholog, Sgs1, prevents aberrant crossing-over by suppressing formation of multichromatid joint molecules. Cell. 2007;130:259-72 pubmed..Thus, by disrupting aberrant JMs, BLM-related helicases maximize repair efficiency while minimizing the risk of deleterious crossing-over. ..
- Checchi P, Engebrecht J. Heteromorphic sex chromosomes: navigating meiosis without a homologous partner. Mol Reprod Dev. 2011;78:623-32 pubmed publisher..Comparative analyses of the meiotic behavior of sex chromosomes in nematodes, mammals, and birds reveal important conserved features as well as provide insight into sex chromosome evolution...
- Yang H, McNally K, McNally F. MEI-1/katanin is required for translocation of the meiosis I spindle to the oocyte cortex in C elegans. Dev Biol. 2003;260:245-59 pubmed..These results indicate a direct role of microtubule severing in translocation of the meiotic spindle to the cortex. ..
- Page S, McKim K, Deneen B, Van Hook T, Hawley R. Genetic studies of mei-P26 reveal a link between the processes that control germ cell proliferation in both sexes and those that control meiotic exchange in Drosophila. Genetics. 2000;155:1757-72 pubmed..These data suggest that the pathways controlling germline differentiation and meiotic exchange are related and that factors involved in the mitotic divisions of the germline may regulate meiotic recombination. ..
- Reynolds A, Qiao H, Yang Y, Chen J, Jackson N, Biswas K, et al. RNF212 is a dosage-sensitive regulator of crossing-over during mammalian meiosis. Nat Genet. 2013;45:269-78 pubmed publisher..Haploinsufficiency indicates that RNF212 is a limiting factor for crossover control and raises the possibility that human alleles may alter the amount or stability of RNF212 and be risk factors for aneuploid conditions. ..
- McKim K, Green Marroquin B, Sekelsky J, Chin G, Steinberg C, Khodosh R, et al. Meiotic synapsis in the absence of recombination. Science. 1998;279:876-8 pubmed..Furthermore, the basic processes of early meiosis may have different functional or temporal relations, or both, in yeast and Drosophila. ..
- Ellefson M, McNally F. Kinesin-1 and cytoplasmic dynein act sequentially to move the meiotic spindle to the oocyte cortex in Caenorhabditis elegans. Mol Biol Cell. 2009;20:2722-30 pubmed publisher..This represents a case of kinesin-1/dynein coordination in which these two motors of opposite polarity act sequentially and independently on a cargo to move it in the same direction. ..
- Afshar K, Barton N, Hawley R, Goldstein L. DNA binding and meiotic chromosomal localization of the Drosophila nod kinesin-like protein. Cell. 1995;81:129-38 pubmed..Thus, motor-based chromosome-microtubule interactions are not limited to the centromere, but extend along the chromosome arms, providing a molecular explanation for the polar ejection force. ..
- Wu H, Ho H, Burgess S. Mek1 kinase governs outcomes of meiotic recombination and the checkpoint response. Curr Biol. 2010;20:1707-16 pubmed publisher..We discuss how regulation of pachytene exit by Mek1 or similar kinases could influence checkpoint stringency, which may differ among species and between sexes. ..
- Sekelsky J, McKim K, Messina L, French R, Hurley W, Arbel T, et al. Identification of novel Drosophila meiotic genes recovered in a P-element screen. Genetics. 1999;152:529-42 pubmed..Although most of these are alleles of previously undescribed genes, five were in the known genes alphaTubulin67C, CycE, push, and Trl. The five mutations in known genes produce novel phenotypes for those genes...
- Hawley R, Irick H, Zitron A, Haddox D, Lohe A, New C, et al. There are two mechanisms of achiasmate segregation in Drosophila females, one of which requires heterochromatic homology. Dev Genet. 1992;13:440-67 pubmed..elegans males. We also suggest that the physical basis of this process may reflect known properties of the Drosophila meiotic spindle...
- Nimonkar A, Dombrowski C, Siino J, Stasiak A, Stasiak A, Kowalczykowski S. Saccharomyces cerevisiae Dmc1 and Rad51 proteins preferentially function with Tid1 and Rad54 proteins, respectively, to promote DNA strand invasion during genetic recombination. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:28727-37 pubmed publisher..Our data are consistent with the hypothesis that Rad51-Rad54 function together to promote intersister DNA strand exchange, whereas Dmc1-Tid1 tilt the bias toward interhomolog DNA strand exchange. ..
- McNally K, Fabritius A, Ellefson M, Flynn J, Milan J, McNally F. Kinesin-1 prevents capture of the oocyte meiotic spindle by the sperm aster. Dev Cell. 2012;22:788-98 pubmed publisher..Kinesin prevents recruitment of pericentriolar proteins by coating the sperm DNA and centrioles and thus prevents triploidy by a nonmotor mechanism...
- Ho H, Burgess S. Pch2 acts through Xrs2 and Tel1/ATM to modulate interhomolog bias and checkpoint function during meiosis. PLoS Genet. 2011;7:e1002351 pubmed publisher..In addition, Xrs2, like Pch2, is required for checkpoint-mediated delay conferred by the failure to synapse chromosomes...
- Panzica M, Marin H, Reymann A, McNally F. F-actin prevents interaction between sperm DNA and the oocyte meiotic spindle in C. elegans. J Cell Biol. 2017;216:2273-2282 pubmed publisher..However, increasing yolk granule size did not slow their velocity, and the F-actin moved with the yolk granules. Instead, sperm contents connect to the cortical F-actin to prevent interaction with the meiotic spindle. ..
- Sekelsky J, Hawley R. The bond between sisters. Cell. 1995;83:157-60 pubmed
- Craig E, Dey S, Mogilner A. The emergence of sarcomeric, graded-polarity and spindle-like patterns in bundles of short cytoskeletal polymers and two opposite molecular motors. J Phys Condens Matter. 2011;23:374102 pubmed publisher..We discuss modeling implications for actin-myosin fibers and in vitro and meiotic spindles...
- Lao J, Oh S, Shinohara M, Shinohara A, Hunter N. Rad52 promotes postinvasion steps of meiotic double-strand-break repair. Mol Cell. 2008;29:517-24 pubmed publisher..Our findings show that Rad52 functions in temporally and biochemically distinct reactions and suggest a general annealing mechanism for reuniting DSB ends during recombination. ..
- Morishita M, Mendonsa R, Wright J, Engebrecht J. Snc1p v-SNARE transport to the prospore membrane during yeast sporulation is dependent on endosomal retrieval pathways. Traffic. 2007;8:1231-45 pubmed..Taken together, these results indicate that retrograde trafficking from the endosome is essential for sporulation by retrieving molecules important for PSM and spore wall formation. ..
- Wu H, Burgess S. Two distinct surveillance mechanisms monitor meiotic chromosome metabolism in budding yeast. Curr Biol. 2006;16:2473-9 pubmed..A PCH2-ZIP1-dependent checkpoint in meiosis is likely conserved among synaptic organisms from yeast to human . ..
- Zakharyevich K, Tang S, Ma Y, Hunter N. Delineation of joint molecule resolution pathways in meiosis identifies a crossover-specific resolvase. Cell. 2012;149:334-47 pubmed publisher..Thus, Sgs1, Exo1, and MutL? together define a previously undescribed meiotic JM resolution pathway that produces the majority of crossovers in budding yeast and, by inference, in mammals. ..
- Yang H, Mains P, McNally F. Kinesin-1 mediates translocation of the meiotic spindle to the oocyte cortex through KCA-1, a novel cargo adapter. J Cell Biol. 2005;169:447-57 pubmed..This study thus reveals two sequential mechanisms for translocating anastral spindles to the oocyte cortex. ..
- Hawley R. Unresolvable endings: defective telomeres and failed separation. Science. 1997;275:1441-3 pubmed
- Chitrampalam P, Inderbitzin P, Maruthachalam K, Wu B, Subbarao K. The Sclerotinia sclerotiorum mating type locus (MAT) contains a 3.6-kb region that is inverted in every meiotic generation. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e56895 pubmed publisher..We speculate that a similar inversion region may be involved in mating type switching in the filamentous ascomycetes Chromocrea spinulosa, Sclerotinia trifoliorum and in certain Ceratocystis species. ..
- Chu D, Gromova T, Newman T, Burgess S. The Nucleoporin Nup2 Contains a Meiotic-Autonomous Region that Promotes the Dynamic Chromosome Events of Meiosis. Genetics. 2017;206:1319-1337 pubmed publisher..These data suggest Nup2 and Ndj1 support partially overlapping functions that promote two different levels of meiotic chromosome organization necessary to withstand a dynamic stage of the eukaryotic life cycle. ..
- Hawley R, Theurkauf W. Requiem for distributive segregation: achiasmate segregation in Drosophila females. Trends Genet. 1993;9:310-7 pubmed..The other system facilitates the segregation of heterologous chromosomes, by an as yet undiscovered mechanism...
- Zakharyevich K, Ma Y, Tang S, Hwang P, Boiteux S, Hunter N. Temporally and biochemically distinct activities of Exo1 during meiosis: double-strand break resection and resolution of double Holliday junctions. Mol Cell. 2010;40:1001-15 pubmed publisher..Thus, the DSB resection and procrossover functions of Exo1 during meiosis involve temporally and biochemically distinct activities. ..
- Ravi M, Shibata F, Ramahi J, Nagaki K, Chen C, Murata M, et al. Meiosis-specific loading of the centromere-specific histone CENH3 in Arabidopsis thaliana. PLoS Genet. 2011;7:e1002121 pubmed publisher..Meiosis-specific CENH3 dynamics may play a role in modulating meiotic centromere behavior. ..
- Bzymek M, Thayer N, Oh S, Kleckner N, Hunter N. Double Holliday junctions are intermediates of DNA break repair. Nature. 2010;464:937-41 pubmed publisher..Thus, although DHJs are identified as intermediates of DSB-promoted recombination in both mitotic and meiotic cells, their formation is distinctly regulated according to the specific dictates of the two cellular programs...
- Morishita M, Engebrecht J. End3p-mediated endocytosis is required for spore wall formation in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics. 2005;170:1561-74 pubmed..Thus, END3-mediated endocytosis is important for spore wall formation. Additionally, cytological analyses suggest that trafficking between the plasma membrane and PSMs is important earlier during sporulation. ..
- Qiao H, Prasada Rao H, Yang Y, Fong J, Cloutier J, Deacon D, et al. Antagonistic roles of ubiquitin ligase HEI10 and SUMO ligase RNF212 regulate meiotic recombination. Nat Genet. 2014;46:194-9 pubmed publisher..We suggest that SUMO and ubiquitin have antagonistic roles during meiotic recombination that are balanced to effect differential stabilization of recombination factors at crossover and non-crossover sites. ..