Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on lycopersicon esculentum in Davis, California, United States
Locale: Davis, California, United States
Topic: lycopersicon esculentum
- Haywood V, Yu T, Huang N, Lucas W. Phloem long-distance trafficking of GIBBERELLIC ACID-INSENSITIVE RNA regulates leaf development. Plant J. 2005;42:49-68 pubmed..We propose that RNA delivery via the phloem allows for flexibility in fine tuning of developmental programs to ensure newly developing leaves are optimized for performance under the prevailing environmental conditions. ..
- Ewing N, Bennett A. Assessment of the number and expression of P-type H(+)-ATPase genes in tomato. Plant Physiol. 1994;106:547-57 pubmed..These results indicate that at least seven genomic sequences are present in tomato that may encode plasma membrane H(+)-ATPases, at least three of which are expressed relatively abundantly at the mRNA level. ..
- Brouwer D, Jones E, St Clair D. QTL analysis of quantitative resistance to Phytophthora infestans (late blight) in tomato and comparisons with potato. Genome. 2004;47:475-92 pubmed..infestans resistance QTLs detected in tomato coincided with chromosomal locations of previously mapped R genes and QTLs for resistance to P. infestans in potato, suggesting functional conservation of resistance within the Solanaceae. ..
- Bradford K, Downie A, Gee O, Alvarado V, Yang H, Dahal P. Abscisic acid and gibberellin differentially regulate expression of genes of the SNF1-related kinase complex in tomato seeds. Plant Physiol. 2003;132:1560-76 pubmed..Regulation of LeSNF4 expression by ABA and GA provides a potential link between hormonal and sugar-sensing pathways controlling seed development, dormancy, and germination. ..
- Fudali S, Wang C, Williamson V. Ethylene signaling pathway modulates attractiveness of host roots to the root-knot nematode Meloidogyne hapla. Mol Plant Microbe Interact. 2013;26:75-86 pubmed publisher..hapla. These signals may aid in directing this pathogen to an appropriate host and invasion site for completing its life cycle...
- Haroldsen V, Chi Ham C, Kulkarni S, Lorence A, Bennett A. Constitutively expressed DHAR and MDHAR influence fruit, but not foliar ascorbate levels in tomato. Plant Physiol Biochem. 2011;49:1244-9 pubmed publisher..7 fold. Neither over-expressing line had altered levels of AsA in foliar tissues. These results underscore a complex regulation of the AsA pool size in tomato...
- Chen F, Nonogaki H, Bradford K. A gibberellin-regulated xyloglucan endotransglycosylase gene is expressed in the endosperm cap during tomato seed germination. J Exp Bot. 2002;53:215-23 pubmed..The temporal, spatial and hormonal regulation pattern of LeXET4 gene expression suggests that XET has a role in endosperm cap weakening, a key process regulating tomato seed germination. ..
- Cooley M, Yang H, Dahal P, Mella R, Downie A, Haigh A, et al. Vacuolar H(+)-ATPase is expressed in response to gibberellin during tomato seed germination. Plant Physiol. 1999;121:1339-48 pubmed..The results suggest that V-ATPase plays a role in GA-regulated germination of tomato seeds. ..
- Janssen B, Williams A, Chen J, Mathern J, Hake S, Sinha N. Isolation and characterization of two knotted-like homeobox genes from tomato. Plant Mol Biol. 1998;36:417-25 pubmed..LeT12 is more ubiquitously expressed in the mature plant. RNA in situ localization data suggest that both these genes may have a role to play in formative events in ovule and embryo morphogenesis. ..
- Melgarejo T, Kon T, Rojas M, Paz Carrasco L, Zerbini F, Gilbertson R. Characterization of a new world monopartite begomovirus causing leaf curl disease of tomato in Ecuador and Peru reveals a new direction in geminivirus evolution. J Virol. 2013;87:5397-413 pubmed publisher..This is the first report of an indigenous NW monopartite begomovirus, and evidence is presented that it emerged from the DNA-A component of a NW bipartite progenitor via convergent evolution and recombination. ..
- Cantu D, Blanco Ulate B, Yang L, Labavitch J, Bennett A, Powell A. Ripening-regulated susceptibility of tomato fruit to Botrytis cinerea requires NOR but not RIN or ethylene. Plant Physiol. 2009;150:1434-49 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate the developmental plasticity of plant responses to the fungus and indicate how known regulators of fruit ripening participate in regulating ripening-associated pathogen susceptibility. ..
- Jiang C, Chen J, Reid M. Virus-induced gene silencing in ornamental plants. Methods Mol Biol. 2011;744:81-96 pubmed publisher..In this chapter, we outline our protocols for the use of VIGS for analysis of gene function, focusing particularly on the use of TRV with petunia and tomato. ..
- Rojas M, Jiang H, Salati R, Xoconostle Cazares B, Sudarshana M, Lucas W, et al. Functional analysis of proteins involved in movement of the monopartite begomovirus, Tomato yellow leaf curl virus. Virology. 2001;291:110-25 pubmed..Thus, the V1 and/or C4 may be analogs of the bipartite begomovirus BC1 that have evolved to mediate TYLCV movement within phloem tissue...
- Wuriyanghan H, Rosa C, Falk B. Oral delivery of double-stranded RNAs and siRNAs induces RNAi effects in the potato/tomato psyllid, Bactericerca cockerelli. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e27736 pubmed publisher..These results showed that RNAi can be a powerful tool for gene function studies in psyllids, and give support for continued efforts for investigating RNAi approaches as possible tools for psyllid and plant disease control...
- Kon T, Rojas M, Abdourhamane I, Gilbertson R. Roles and interactions of begomoviruses and satellite DNAs associated with okra leaf curl disease in Mali, West Africa. J Gen Virol. 2009;90:1001-13 pubmed publisher..These findings are discussed in terms of the aetiology of OLCD and the evolution of new begomovirus/satellite DNA complexes...
- Zhou Y, Rojas M, Park M, Seo Y, Lucas W, Gilbertson R. Histone H3 interacts and colocalizes with the nuclear shuttle protein and the movement protein of a geminivirus. J Virol. 2011;85:11821-32 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these findings implicate the host factor histone H3 in the process by which an infectious geminiviral DNA complex forms within the nucleus for export to the cell periphery and cell-to-cell movement through plasmodesmata...
- Navarro Avino J, Hentzen A, Bennett A. Alternative transcription initiation sites generate two LCA1 Ca2+-ATPase mRNA transcripts in tomato roots. Plant Mol Biol. 1999;40:133-40 pubmed
- Batuman O, Kuo Y, Palmieri M, Rojas M, Gilbertson R. Tomato chocolate spot virus, a member of a new torradovirus species that causes a necrosis-associated disease of tomato in Guatemala. Arch Virol. 2010;155:857-69 pubmed publisher..The name tomato chocolate spot virus is proposed. ..
- Haggard J, Johnson E, St Clair D. Linkage relationships among multiple QTL for horticultural traits and late blight (P. infestans) resistance on chromosome 5 introgressed from wild tomato Solanum habrochaites. G3 (Bethesda). 2013;3:2131-46 pubmed publisher..The complex genetic architecture of horticultural and P. infestans resistance trait QTL within this S. habrochaites region of chromosome 5 presents challenges and opportunities for breeding efforts in cultivated tomato. ..
- Dileo M, Pye M, Roubtsova T, Duniway J, MacDonald J, Rizzo D, et al. Abscisic acid in salt stress predisposition to phytophthora root and crown rot in tomato and chrysanthemum. Phytopathology. 2010;100:871-9 pubmed publisher..Thus, several lines of evidence support ABA as a critical and dominant factor in the salinity-induced predisposition to Phytophthora spp. infection. ..
- Tomás Callejas A, Lopez Velasco G, Valadez A, Sbodio A, Artés Hernández F, Danyluk M, et al. Evaluation of current operating standards for chlorine dioxide in disinfection of dump tank and flume for fresh tomatoes. J Food Prot. 2012;75:304-13 pubmed publisher..Under current conditions, ClO(2) alone is unlikely to allow the fresh tomato industry to meet its microbiological quality goals under typical commercial conditions...
- Hagen C, Frizzi A, Kao J, Jia L, Huang M, Zhang Y, et al. Using small RNA sequences to diagnose, sequence, and investigate the infectivity characteristics of vegetable-infecting viruses. Arch Virol. 2011;156:1209-16 pubmed publisher..We repeated this technique in identification of a squash-infecting geminivirus and also used it to identify an unspecified tospovirus...
- Weyman P, Pan Z, Feng Q, Gilchrist D, Bostock R. A circadian rhythm-regulated tomato gene is induced by Arachidonic acid and Phythophthora infestans infection. Plant Physiol. 2006;140:235-48 pubmed publisher..A DEA1-green fluorescent protein fusion protein localized to the plasma membrane in protoplasts and plasmolysis experiments, suggesting that the native protein is associated with the plasmalemma in intact cells...
- John Goodstal F, Kohler G, Randall L, Bloom A, St Clair D. A major QTL introgressed from wild Lycopersicon hirsutum confers chilling tolerance to cultivated tomato (Lycopersicon esculentum). Theor Appl Genet. 2005;111:898-905 pubmed..hirsutum allele at stm 9 also confers chilling-tolerance in L. esculentum plants grown under field conditions, it has the potential to expand the geographic areas in which cultivated tomato can be grown for commercial production. ..
- Chen F, Dahal P, Bradford K. Two tomato expansin genes show divergent expression and localization in embryos during seed development and germination. Plant Physiol. 2001;127:928-36 pubmed..The tissue localization and expression patterns of both LeEXP8 and LeEXP10 suggest developmentally specific roles during embryo and seedling growth. ..
- Escobar M, Civerolo E, Summerfelt K, Dandekar A. RNAi-mediated oncogene silencing confers resistance to crown gall tumorigenesis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2001;98:13437-42 pubmed..If successful and durable under field conditions, RNAi-mediated oncogene silencing may find broad applicability in the improvement of tree crop and ornamental rootstocks. ..
- Koh E, Kaffka S, Mitchell A. A long-term comparison of the influence of organic and conventional crop management practices on the content of the glycoalkaloid ?-tomatine in tomatoes. J Sci Food Agric. 2013;93:1537-42 pubmed publisher..Significant annual variability in the ?-tomatine content in tomatoes was also observed and suggests that environmental factors, external to nitrogen fertilization, influence ?-tomatine content in tomatoes. ..
- Brenner E, Lambert K, Kaloshian I, Williamson V. Characterization of LeMir, a root-knot nematode-induced gene in tomato with an encoded product secreted from the root. Plant Physiol. 1998;118:237-47 pubmed..Analysis of seedling root exudates revealed that LeMir is secreted from the root into the surrounding environment, suggesting that it may interact with soil-borne microorganisms. ..
- Kaloshian I, Yaghoobi J, Liharska T, Hontelez J, Hanson D, Hogan P, et al. Genetic and physical localization of the root-knot nematode resistance locus mi in tomato. Mol Gen Genet. 1998;257:376-85 pubmed..By combining data from the L. esculentum and L. peruvianum recombinant analyses, it was possible to localize Mi to a region of the genome spanning less than 65 kb...
- Mito N, Bennett A. The diageotropica mutation and synthetic auxins differentially affect the expression of auxin-regulated genes in tomato. Plant Physiol. 1995;109:293-7 pubmed..These two auxin-regulated signal transduction pathways can be further discriminated by the action of two synthetic auxins, NAA and quinclorac. ..
- Chassy A, Bui L, Renaud E, Van Horn M, Mitchell A. Three-year comparison of the content of antioxidant microconstituents and several quality characteristics in organic and conventionally managed tomatoes and bell peppers. J Agric Food Chem. 2006;54:8244-52 pubmed..Burbank tomatoes generally had higher levels of quercetin, kaempferol, total phenolics, and ascorbic acid as compared to Ropreco tomatoes. Bell peppers were influenced less by environment and did not display cropping system differences. ..
- Shiu O, Oetiker J, Yip W, Yang S. The promoter of LE-ACS7, an early flooding-induced 1-aminocyclopropane-1-carboxylate synthase gene of the tomato, is tagged by a Sol3 transposon. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1998;95:10334-9 pubmed..Thus, Sol3 transposons may affect the regulation of LE-ACS7 and may be involved in the communication between the root and the shoot of waterlogged tomato plants. ..
- de Freitas S, Handa A, Wu Q, Park S, Mitcham E. Role of pectin methylesterases in cellular calcium distribution and blossom-end rot development in tomato fruit. Plant J. 2012;71:824-35 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that apoplastic water-soluble Ca²? concentration influences fruit susceptibility to Ca²? deficiency disorders...
- Kon T, Gilbertson R. Two genetically related begomoviruses causing tomato leaf curl disease in Togo and Nigeria differ in virulence and host range but do not require a betasatellite for induction of disease symptoms. Arch Virol. 2012;157:107-20 pubmed publisher..and D. stramonium. Thus, although ToLCTGB increased symptom severity in a host-dependent manner, it does not appear to play a role in ToLCD and may have been present with ToLCKuV-TG as a reassortant...
- Gross S, Williamson V. Tm1: a mutator/foldback transposable element family in root-knot nematodes. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e24534 pubmed publisher..These Tm1 elements may have impacts on root-knot nematode genomes and contribute to genetic diversity of the asexual species. ..
- Kepenekci I, Hazir S, Lewis E. Evaluation of entomopathogenic nematodes and the supernatants of the in vitro culture medium of their mutualistic bacteria for the control of the root-knot nematodes Meloidogyne incognita and M. arenaria. Pest Manag Sci. 2016;72:327-34 pubmed publisher..Spent medium from culturing the bacterial symbionts Xenorhabdus bovienii and Photorhabdus luminescens kayaii with the cells removed was also applied without their nematode partners...
- Olson D, Oetiker J, Yang S. Analysis of LE-ACS3, a 1-aminocyclopropane-1-carboxylic acid synthase gene expressed during flooding in the roots of tomato plants. J Biol Chem. 1995;270:14056-61 pubmed
- Rossi M, Goggin F, Milligan S, Kaloshian I, Ullman D, Williamson V. The nematode resistance gene Mi of tomato confers resistance against the potato aphid. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1998;95:9750-4 pubmed..Furthermore, it is the first isolate-specific insect resistance gene to be cloned and belongs to the nucleotide-binding, leucine-rich repeat family of resistance genes. ..
- Sitrit Y, Hadfield K, Bennett A, Bradford K, Downie A. Expression of a polygalacturonase associated with tomato seed germination. Plant Physiol. 1999;121:419-28 pubmed..We suggest that PG is involved in cell wall loosening of the endosperm necessary for radicle protrusion from tomato seeds and in subsequent embryo and seedling growth. ..
- Catala C, Rose J, Bennett A. Auxin-regulated genes encoding cell wall-modifying proteins are expressed during early tomato fruit growth. Plant Physiol. 2000;122:527-34 pubmed
- Chen F, Bradford K. Expression of an expansin is associated with endosperm weakening during tomato seed germination. Plant Physiol. 2000;124:1265-74 pubmed..We hypothesize that LeEXP4 is involved in the regulation of seed germination by contributing to cell wall disassembly associated with endosperm cap weakening. ..
- Chang J, Tai Y, Bernal A, Lavelle D, Staskawicz B, Michelmore R. Functional analyses of the Pto resistance gene family in tomato and the identification of a minor resistance determinant in a susceptible haplotype. Mol Plant Microbe Interact. 2002;15:281-91 pubmed..LescPth5 induced cell death specifically in response to expression of AvrPto in tobacco in a Prf-dependent manner; this is consistent with a homolog from a 'susceptible' haplotype encoding a minor recognition determinant. ..
- McCarthy K, McCarthy M. Relationship between in-line viscosity and Bostwick measurement during ketchup production. J Food Sci. 2009;74:E291-7 pubmed publisher..97, 0.97, and 0.91 for NTSS levels of 6%, 7%, and 7.8%, respectively. This study demonstrates that final product quality can be predicted from in-line viscosity measurements of an intermediate product. ..
- Li W, ROYER S, Chetelat R. Fine mapping of ui6.1, a gametophytic factor controlling pollen-side unilateral incompatibility in interspecific solanum hybrids. Genetics. 2010;185:1069-80 pubmed publisher..1 to approximately 0.128 MU, or 160 kb. Identification of the underlying gene should elucidate the mechanism of interspecific pollen rejection and its relationship to self-incompatibility...
- Tonetto de Freitas S, Padda M, Wu Q, Park S, Mitcham E. Dynamic alternations in cellular and molecular components during blossom-end rot development in tomatoes expressing sCAX1, a constitutively active Ca2+/H+ antiporter from Arabidopsis. Plant Physiol. 2011;156:844-55 pubmed publisher..The results indicate that the high expression of the sCAX1 gene reduces cytosolic and apoplastic Ca concentrations, affecting plasma membrane structure and leading to BER symptom development in the fruit tissue. ..
- David Schwartz R, Runo S, Townsley B, Machuka J, Sinha N. Long-distance transport of mRNA via parenchyma cells and phloem across the host-parasite junction in Cuscuta. New Phytol. 2008;179:1133-41 pubmed publisher..This may allow developmental coordination between the parasite and its host...
- Zhou Y, Noussourou M, Kon T, Rojas M, Jiang H, Chen L, et al. Evidence of local evolution of tomato-infecting begomovirus species in West Africa: characterization of tomato leaf curl Mali virus and tomato yellow leaf crumple virus from Mali. Arch Virol. 2008;153:693-706 pubmed publisher..Virus-specific PCR primers were developed for detection of ToLCMLV and ToYLCrV and will be used to further investigate the distribution and host range of these viruses...
- Seah S, Yaghoobi J, Rossi M, Gleason C, Williamson V. The nematode-resistance gene, Mi-1, is associated with an inverted chromosomal segment in susceptible compared to resistant tomato. Theor Appl Genet. 2004;108:1635-42 pubmed publisher..Two Mi-1 homologs identified from the BAC library derived from susceptible tomato are not linked to the chromosome 6 locus, but map to chromosome 5 in regions known to contain resistance gene loci in other solanaceous species...
- Bachan S, Dinesh Kumar S. Tobacco rattle virus (TRV)-based virus-induced gene silencing. Methods Mol Biol. 2012;894:83-92 pubmed publisher..Here, we describe the use of tobacco rattle virus-based VIGS techniques to study gene function in Nicotiana benthamiana, tomato, and Arabidopsis thaliana. ..
- Powell A, Nguyen C, Hill T, Cheng K, Figueroa Balderas R, Aktas H, et al. Uniform ripening encodes a Golden 2-like transcription factor regulating tomato fruit chloroplast development. Science. 2012;336:1711-5 pubmed publisher..SlGLK2 influences photosynthesis in developing fruit, contributing to mature fruit characteristics and suggesting that selection of u inadvertently compromised ripe fruit quality in exchange for desirable production traits...
- Wroblewski T, Caldwell K, Piskurewicz U, Cavanaugh K, Xu H, Kozik A, et al. Comparative large-scale analysis of interactions between several crop species and the effector repertoires from multiple pathovars of Pseudomonas and Ralstonia. Plant Physiol. 2009;150:1733-49 pubmed publisher..Both homologous and sequence-unrelated effectors could elicit necrosis in a similar spectrum of plants, suggesting common effector targets or targeting of the same pathways in the plant cell...
- Stafford C, Walker G, Ullman D. Infection with a plant virus modifies vector feeding behavior. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:9350-5 pubmed publisher..Our results underscore the evolutionary importance of vector behavioral modification to diverse parasites with host ranges spanning both plant and animal kingdoms. ..
- Koenig D, Jimenez Gomez J, Kimura S, Fulop D, Chitwood D, Headland L, et al. Comparative transcriptomics reveals patterns of selection in domesticated and wild tomato. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:E2655-62 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results shed light on the pervasive effects artificial and natural selection have had on the transcriptomes of tomato and its wild relatives. ..
- Milligan S, Bodeau J, Yaghoobi J, Kaloshian I, Zabel P, Williamson V. The root knot nematode resistance gene Mi from tomato is a member of the leucine zipper, nucleotide binding, leucine-rich repeat family of plant genes. Plant Cell. 1998;10:1307-19 pubmed
- Kim S, Park M, Yeom S, Kim Y, Lee J, Lee H, et al. Genome sequence of the hot pepper provides insights into the evolution of pungency in Capsicum species. Nat Genet. 2014;46:270-8 pubmed publisher..We found differential molecular patterns of ripening regulators and ethylene synthesis in hot pepper and tomato. The reference genome will serve as a platform for improving the nutritional and medicinal values of Capsicum species. ..