Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on kinesin in Davis, California, United States
Locale: Davis, California, United States
- Cole D, Chinn S, Wedaman K, Hall K, Vuong T, Scholey J. Novel heterotrimeric kinesin-related protein purified from sea urchin eggs. Nature. 1993;366:268-70 pubmed publisher..We also find that purified KRP(85/95) directs movements towards the 'plus' ends of microtubules. To our knowledge, this protein is the first kinesin-related motor to be purified from its natural host cell in a native multimeric state...
- Pan X, Ou G, Civelekoglu Scholey G, Blacque O, Endres N, Tao L, et al. Mechanism of transport of IFT particles in C. elegans cilia by the concerted action of kinesin-II and OSM-3 motors. J Cell Biol. 2006;174:1035-45 pubmed
- Scholey J. Kinesin-2: a family of heterotrimeric and homodimeric motors with diverse intracellular transport functions. Annu Rev Cell Dev Biol. 2013;29:443-69 pubmed publisher..Here, I review the organization, assembly, phylogeny, biological functions, and motility mechanism of this diverse family of intracellular transport motors. ..
- Brust Mascher I, Scholey J. Mitotic motors and chromosome segregation: the mechanism of anaphase B. Biochem Soc Trans. 2011;39:1149-53 pubmed publisher..We briefly comment on the relationship of this model to anaphase B in other systems...
- Rashid D, Wedaman K, Scholey J. Heterodimerization of the two motor subunits of the heterotrimeric kinesin, KRP85/95. J Mol Biol. 1995;252:157-62 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, SpKRP85-SpKRP95 complexes can be immunoprecipitated from a cell-free translation system, providing direct evidence that SpKRP85 and SpKRP95 are capable of heterodimerization...
- Matthies H, Messina L, Namba R, Greer K, Walker M, Hawley R. Mutations in the alpha-tubulin 67C gene specifically impair achiasmate segregation in Drosophila melanogaster. J Cell Biol. 1999;147:1137-44 pubmed..These results suggest that the accurate segregation of achiasmate chromosomes requires the proper balancing of forces acting on the chromosomes during prometaphase. ..
- Lee Y, Giang H, Liu B. A novel plant kinesin-related protein specifically associates with the phragmoplast organelles. Plant Cell. 2001;13:2427-39 pubmed..We discuss the possibility that AtPAKRP1 plays a role in establishing and/or maintaining the phragmoplast MT array, and AtPAKRP2 may contribute to the transport of Golgi-derived vesicles in the phragmoplast. ..
- Preuss M, Delmer D, Liu B. The cotton kinesin-like calmodulin-binding protein associates with cortical microtubules in cotton fibers. Plant Physiol. 2003;132:154-60 pubmed publisher..Therefore KCBP likely exerts multiple roles in cell division and cell growth in flowering plants...
- Signor D, Wedaman K, Rose L, Scholey J. Two heteromeric kinesin complexes in chemosensory neurons and sensory cilia of Caenorhabditis elegans. Mol Biol Cell. 1999;10:345-60 pubmed
- Lee Y, Li Y, Liu B. Two Arabidopsis phragmoplast-associated kinesins play a critical role in cytokinesis during male gametogenesis. Plant Cell. 2007;19:2595-605 pubmed..Furthermore, we conclude that Kinesin-12 members serve as dynamic linkers of the plus ends of antiparallel microtubules in the phragmoplast. ..
- Brust Mascher I, Civelekoglu Scholey G, Kwon M, Mogilner A, Scholey J. Model for anaphase B: role of three mitotic motors in a switch from poleward flux to spindle elongation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004;101:15938-43 pubmed
- Cole D, Saxton W, Sheehan K, Scholey J. A "slow" homotetrameric kinesin-related motor protein purified from Drosophila embryos. J Biol Chem. 1994;269:22913-6 pubmed..Therefore, KRP130 appears to be the first Drosophila KRP, and the first member of the BimC subfamily in any organism, to be purified from native tissue as a multimeric motor complex. ..
- Evans J, Snow J, Gunnarson A, Ou G, Stahlberg H, McDonald K, et al. Functional modulation of IFT kinesins extends the sensory repertoire of ciliated neurons in Caenorhabditis elegans. J Cell Biol. 2006;172:663-9 pubmed
- Kashina A, Baskin R, Cole D, Wedaman K, Saxton W, Scholey J. A bipolar kinesin. Nature. 1996;379:270-2 pubmed..Such a bipolar 'minifilament' could crosslink spindle MTs and slide them relative to one another. We do not know of any other MT motors that have a bipolar structure. ..
- Yang H, Mains P, McNally F. Kinesin-1 mediates translocation of the meiotic spindle to the oocyte cortex through KCA-1, a novel cargo adapter. J Cell Biol. 2005;169:447-57 pubmed..This study thus reveals two sequential mechanisms for translocating anastral spindles to the oocyte cortex. ..
- Civelekoglu Scholey G, Scholey J. Mitotic motors: kinesin-5 takes a brake. Curr Biol. 2007;17:R544-7 pubmed..elegans, kinesin-5 is deployed as a brake to slow down spindle-pole separation. ..
- Ellefson M, McNally F. Kinesin-1 and cytoplasmic dynein act sequentially to move the meiotic spindle to the oocyte cortex in Caenorhabditis elegans. Mol Biol Cell. 2009;20:2722-30 pubmed publisher..This represents a case of kinesin-1/dynein coordination in which these two motors of opposite polarity act sequentially and independently on a cargo to move it in the same direction. ..
- Craig E, Dey S, Mogilner A. The emergence of sarcomeric, graded-polarity and spindle-like patterns in bundles of short cytoskeletal polymers and two opposite molecular motors. J Phys Condens Matter. 2011;23:374102 pubmed publisher..We discuss modeling implications for actin-myosin fibers and in vitro and meiotic spindles...
- Rogers G, Hart C, Wedaman K, Scholey J. Identification of kinesin-C, a calmodulin-binding carboxy-terminal kinesin in animal (Strongylocentrotus purpuratus) cells. J Mol Biol. 1999;294:1-8 pubmed..The presence of this novel calmodulin-binding motor in sea urchin embryos suggests that it plays a critical role in Ca(2+)-dependent events during early sea urchin development. ..
- Signor D, Wedaman K, Orozco J, Dwyer N, Bargmann C, Rose L, et al. Role of a class DHC1b dynein in retrograde transport of IFT motors and IFT raft particles along cilia, but not dendrites, in chemosensory neurons of living Caenorhabditis elegans. J Cell Biol. 1999;147:519-30 pubmed..Thus, we propose that the class DHC1b cytoplasmic dynein, CHE-3, is specifically responsible for the retrograde transport of the anterograde motor, kinesin-II, and its cargo within sensory cilia, but not within dendrites. ..
- Zwick M, Salstrom J, Langley C. Genetic variation in rates of nondisjunction: association of two naturally occurring polymorphisms in the chromokinesin nod with increased rates of nondisjunction in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 1999;152:1605-14 pubmed..The oötid competition model can account for both high mean rates of female-specific nondisjunction in Drosophila and humans as well as the standing genetic variation in this critical fitness character in natural populations. ..
- Sharp D, McDonald K, Brown H, Matthies H, Walczak C, Vale R, et al. The bipolar kinesin, KLP61F, cross-links microtubules within interpolar microtubule bundles of Drosophila embryonic mitotic spindles. J Cell Biol. 1999;144:125-38 pubmed..Thus we propose that bipolar kinesin motors and MTs interact by a "sliding filament mechanism" during the formation and function of the mitotic spindle. ..
- Wang H, Brust Mascher I, Civelekoglu Scholey G, Scholey J. Patronin mediates a switch from kinesin-13-dependent poleward flux to anaphase B spindle elongation. J Cell Biol. 2013;203:35-46 pubmed publisher..Although intact cortices, kinetochore MTs, and midzone augmentation are dispensable, this patronin-based change in ipMT minus-end dynamics is sufficient to induce the elongation of spindles capable of separating chromosomes...
- Hawley R, Theurkauf W. Requiem for distributive segregation: achiasmate segregation in Drosophila females. Trends Genet. 1993;9:310-7 pubmed..The other system facilitates the segregation of heterologous chromosomes, by an as yet undiscovered mechanism...
- Rasooly R, Zhang P, Tibolla A, Hawley R. A structure-function analysis of NOD, a kinesin-like protein from Drosophila melanogaster. Mol Gen Genet. 1994;242:145-51 pubmed..These findings are consistent with the biochemical basis of the mode of action of each mutagen. ..
- Wright B, Henson J, Wedaman K, Willy P, Morand J, Scholey J. Subcellular localization and sequence of sea urchin kinesin heavy chain: evidence for its association with membranes in the mitotic apparatus and interphase cytoplasm. J Cell Biol. 1991;113:817-33 pubmed..Thus kinesin may function as a microtubule-based vesicle motor in some MAs, as well as in the interphase cytoplasm...
- Zhu J, Burakov A, Rodionov V, Mogilner A. Finding the cell center by a balance of dynein and myosin pulling and microtubule pushing: a computational study. Mol Biol Cell. 2010;21:4418-27 pubmed publisher..Simulations demonstrate that the force-balance centering mechanism is robust yet versatile. We use the experimental observations to reverse engineer the characteristic forces and centrosome mobility. ..
- Panzica M, Marin H, Reymann A, McNally F. F-actin prevents interaction between sperm DNA and the oocyte meiotic spindle in C. elegans. J Cell Biol. 2017;216:2273-2282 pubmed publisher..However, increasing yolk granule size did not slow their velocity, and the F-actin moved with the yolk granules. Instead, sperm contents connect to the cortical F-actin to prevent interaction with the meiotic spindle. ..
- Fridolfsson H, Ly N, Meyerzon M, Starr D. UNC-83 coordinates kinesin-1 and dynein activities at the nuclear envelope during nuclear migration. Dev Biol. 2010;338:237-50 pubmed publisher..Kinesin-1 functions as the major force generator during nuclear migration, while dynein is involved in regulation of bidirectional transport of the nucleus. ..
- Ho C, Hotta T, Guo F, Roberson R, Lee Y, Liu B. Interaction of antiparallel microtubules in the phragmoplast is mediated by the microtubule-associated protein MAP65-3 in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell. 2011;23:2909-23 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, we suggest that the phragmoplast contains IMTs and highly dynamic noninterdigitating MTs, which work in concert to bring about cytokinesis in plant cells. ..
- Tao L, Mogilner A, Civelekoglu Scholey G, Wollman R, Evans J, Stahlberg H, et al. A homotetrameric kinesin-5, KLP61F, bundles microtubules and antagonizes Ncd in motility assays. Curr Biol. 2006;16:2293-302 pubmed
- Cytrynbaum E, Sommi P, Brust Mascher I, Scholey J, Mogilner A. Early spindle assembly in Drosophila embryos: role of a force balance involving cytoskeletal dynamics and nuclear mechanics. Mol Biol Cell. 2005;16:4967-81 pubmed..Thus, the force-balance driving early spindle morphogenesis depends upon MT-based motors acting in concert with the cortex and nucleus. ..
- Sharp D, Yu K, Sisson J, Sullivan W, Scholey J. Antagonistic microtubule-sliding motors position mitotic centrosomes in Drosophila early embryos. Nat Cell Biol. 1999;1:51-4 pubmed..Our data indicate that KLP61F and Ncd may function by crosslinking and sliding antiparallel spindle microtubules in relation to one another, allowing KLP61F to push centrosomes apart and Ncd to pull them together. ..
- Rogers G, Chui K, Lee E, Wedaman K, Sharp D, Holland G, et al. A kinesin-related protein, KRP(180), positions prometaphase spindle poles during early sea urchin embryonic cell division. J Cell Biol. 2000;150:499-512 pubmed
- Chui K, Rogers G, Kashina A, Wedaman K, Sharp D, Nguyen D, et al. Roles of two homotetrameric kinesins in sea urchin embryonic cell division. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:38005-11 pubmed publisher..Thus, one of these kinesin-related proteins may cross-link spindle microtubules into loose bundles that are "tightened" by the other...
- Kwon M, Morales Mulia S, Brust Mascher I, Rogers G, Sharp D, Scholey J. The chromokinesin, KLP3A, dives mitotic spindle pole separation during prometaphase and anaphase and facilitates chromatid motility. Mol Biol Cell. 2004;15:219-33 pubmed..We propose that KLP3A acts on MTs associated with chromosome arms and the central spindle to organize ipMT bundles, to drive spindle pole separation and to facilitate chromatid motility. ..
- Brust Mascher I, Scholey J. Microtubule flux and sliding in mitotic spindles of Drosophila embryos. Mol Biol Cell. 2002;13:3967-75 pubmed
- Morales Mulia S, Scholey J. Spindle pole organization in Drosophila S2 cells by dynein, abnormal spindle protein (Asp), and KLP10A. Mol Biol Cell. 2005;16:3176-86 pubmed..These results extend recent findings from Xenopus extracts to Drosophila cultured cells and suggest that common pathways contribute to spindle pole organization and length determination. ..
- McNally K, Fabritius A, Ellefson M, Flynn J, Milan J, McNally F. Kinesin-1 prevents capture of the oocyte meiotic spindle by the sperm aster. Dev Cell. 2012;22:788-98 pubmed publisher..Kinesin prevents recruitment of pericentriolar proteins by coating the sperm DNA and centrioles and thus prevents triploidy by a nonmotor mechanism...
- Kashina A, Rogers G, Scholey J. The bimC family of kinesins: essential bipolar mitotic motors driving centrosome separation. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1997;1357:257-71 pubmed
- Meyer D, Rines D, Kashina A, Cole D, Scholey J. Purification of novel kinesins from embryonic systems. Methods Enzymol. 1998;298:133-54 pubmed..Protein purification methods therefore represent an important complementary approach to molecular genetic approaches that are being pursued in many other laboratories. ..
- Matthies H, Baskin R, Hawley R. Orphan kinesin NOD lacks motile properties but does possess a microtubule-stimulated ATPase activity. Mol Biol Cell. 2001;12:4000-12 pubmed..We suggest that the microtubule-activated ATPase activity of NOD provides transient attachments of chromosomes to microtubules rather than producing vectorial transport. ..
- Brust Mascher I, Sommi P, Cheerambathur D, Scholey J. Kinesin-5-dependent poleward flux and spindle length control in Drosophila embryo mitosis. Mol Biol Cell. 2009;20:1749-62 pubmed publisher..Finally, KLP61F activity contributes to normal chromosome congression, kinetochore spacing, and anaphase A rates. Thus, a KLP61F-driven sliding filament mechanism contributes to multiple aspects of mitosis in this system. ..
- Lu L, Lee Y, Pan R, Maloof J, Liu B. An internal motor kinesin is associated with the Golgi apparatus and plays a role in trichome morphogenesis in Arabidopsis. Mol Biol Cell. 2005;16:811-23 pubmed..Our results also indicate that plant kinesins in the MCAK/Kinesin-13 subfamily have evolved to take on different tasks than their animal counterparts. ..
- Ou G, Blacque O, Snow J, Leroux M, Scholey J. Functional coordination of intraflagellar transport motors. Nature. 2005;436:583-7 pubmed..These findings implicate BBS ciliary disease proteins and an OSM-3 kinesin activator in the formation of two IFT pathways that build functional cilia. ..
- Fridolfsson H, Starr D. Kinesin-1 and dynein at the nuclear envelope mediate the bidirectional migrations of nuclei. J Cell Biol. 2010;191:115-28 pubmed publisher..This organization of microtubules fits with our model that kinesin-1 moves nuclei forward and dynein functions to move nuclei backward for short stretches to bypass cellular roadblocks. ..
- Fan J, Beck K. A role for the spectrin superfamily member Syne-1 and kinesin II in cytokinesis. J Cell Sci. 2004;117:619-29 pubmed..We conclude that Syne-1 and KIF3B function together in cytokinesis by facilitating the accumulation of membrane vesicles at the spindle midbody. ..
- Pan R, Lee Y, Liu B. Localization of two homologous Arabidopsis kinesin-related proteins in the phragmoplast. Planta. 2004;220:156-64 pubmed..Our results therefore indicate that AtPAKRP1 and AtPAKRP1L are both expressed in the same cells, and likely have identical functions in the phragmoplast by forming either homodimers or heterodimers. ..
- Preuss M, Kovar D, Lee Y, Staiger C, Delmer D, Liu B. A plant-specific kinesin binds to actin microfilaments and interacts with cortical microtubules in cotton fibers. Plant Physiol. 2004;136:3945-55 pubmed publisher..These data also suggest that flowering plants may employ unique KCHs to coordinate actin microfilaments and microtubules during cell growth...
- Wedaman K, Meyer D, Rashid D, Cole D, Scholey J. Sequence and submolecular localization of the 115-kD accessory subunit of the heterotrimeric kinesin-II (KRP85/95) complex. J Cell Biol. 1996;132:371-80 pubmed..Despite the lack of sequence conservation outside the motor domains, there is striking conservation of the ultrastructure of the kinesin and kinesin-II holoenzymes...
- Wedaman K, Knight A, Kendrick Jones J, Scholey J. Sequences of sea urchin kinesin light chain isoforms. J Mol Biol. 1993;231:155-8 pubmed publisher..C-terminal sequence differences between light chains may provide inter- and intraspecies differences in the functional properties of the presumptive cargo attachment elements of kinesin...
- Afshar K, Barton N, Hawley R, Goldstein L. DNA binding and meiotic chromosomal localization of the Drosophila nod kinesin-like protein. Cell. 1995;81:129-38 pubmed..Thus, motor-based chromosome-microtubule interactions are not limited to the centromere, but extend along the chromosome arms, providing a molecular explanation for the polar ejection force. ..