Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on humans in Los Angeles, California, United States
Locale: Los Angeles, California, United States
Publications1494 found, 100 shown here
- Srikanth S, Jung H, Kim K, Souda P, Whitelegge J, Gwack Y. A novel EF-hand protein, CRACR2A, is a cytosolic Ca2+ sensor that stabilizes CRAC channels in T cells. Nat Cell Biol. 2010;12:436-46 pubmed publisher..These observations implicate CRACR2A, a novel Ca(2+) binding protein that is highly expressed in T cells and conserved in vertebrates, as a key regulator of CRAC channel-mediated SOCE. ..
- Hartenstein V. Morphological diversity and development of glia in Drosophila. Glia. 2011;59:1237-52 pubmed publisher..To aid in this work the following review will briefly summarize our knowledge of the classes of glial cells encountered in the Drosophila nervous system, and then survey their development from the embryo to adult. ..
- MartÃnez LÃ³pez N, GarcÃa RodrÃguez J, Varela Rey M, GutiÃ©rrez V, FernÃ¡ndez Ramos D, Beraza N, et al. Hepatoma cells from mice deficient in glycine N-methyltransferase have increased RAS signaling and activation of liver kinase B1. Gastroenterology. 2012;143:787-798.e13 pubmed publisher..Reagents that disrupt this pathway might be developed to treat patients with HCC. ..
- Turlo K, Leung C, Seo J, Goulbourne C, Adeyo O, Gin P, et al. Equivalent binding of wild-type lipoprotein lipase (LPL) and S447X-LPL to GPIHBP1, the endothelial cell LPL transporter. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2014;1841:963-9 pubmed publisher..We conclude that increased binding of S447X-LPL to GPIHBP1 is unlikely to be the explanation for more efficient lipolysis and lower plasma triglyceride levels in S447X carriers. ..
- Bui T, Nagasawa D, Lagman C, Jacky Chen C, Chung L, Voth B, et al. Isolated Transverse Process Fractures and Markers of Associated Injuries: The Experience at University of California, Los Angeles. World Neurosurg. 2017;104:82-88 pubmed publisher..Neck and chest pain were significantly associated with vascular injuries. Clinicians should maintain high indices of suspicion for associated injuries in patients with ITPFs, especially after high-velocity mechanisms. ..
- Bai D, Alonso M, Medina M, Bailey J, Morita R, Cordova S, et al. Juvenile myoclonic epilepsy: linkage to chromosome 6p12 in Mexico families. Am J Med Genet. 2002;113:268-74 pubmed..5 cM flanked by D6S272 and D6S1573. These results provide confirmatory evidence that a major susceptibility gene for JME exists in chromosome 6p12 in Spanish-Amerinds of Mexico. ..
- Young S, Szekeres G, Coates T. The relationship between online social networking and sexual risk behaviors among men who have sex with men (MSM). PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e62271 pubmed publisher..Understanding the relationship between social media sex-seeking and sexual risk behaviors among at-risk populations will help inform population-focused HIV prevention and treatment interventions. ..
- Traver R, Horikoshi T, Danenberg K, Stadlbauer T, Danenberg P, Ross D, et al. NAD(P)H:quinone oxidoreductase gene expression in human colon carcinoma cells: characterization of a mutation which modulates DT-diaphorase activity and mitomycin sensitivity. Cancer Res. 1992;52:797-802 pubmed
- Pace K, Lebestky T, Hummel T, Arnoux P, Kwan K, Baum L. Characterization of a novel Drosophila melanogaster galectin. Expression in developing immune, neural, and muscle tissues. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:13091-8 pubmed..Drosophila galectin was expressed by hemocytes, circulating phagocytic cells, suggesting a role for Drosophila galectin in the innate immune system. ..
- Targan S, Landers C, Yang H, Lodes M, Cong Y, Papadakis K, et al. Antibodies to CBir1 flagellin define a unique response that is associated independently with complicated Crohn's disease. Gastroenterology. 2005;128:2020-8 pubmed..Serum responses to CBir1 independently identify a unique subset of patients with complicated CD. This bacterial antigen was identified in a murine model and has a similar pattern of aberrant reactivity in a subset of CD patients. ..
- Vagin O, Turdikulova S, Sachs G. Recombinant addition of N-glycosylation sites to the basolateral Na,K-ATPase beta1 subunit results in its clustering in caveolae and apical sorting in HGT-1 cells. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:43159-67 pubmed
- Yuan J, Rozengurt E. PKD, PKD2, and p38 MAPK mediate Hsp27 serine-82 phosphorylation induced by neurotensin in pancreatic cancer PANC-1 cells. J Cell Biochem. 2008;103:648-62 pubmed..Our results demonstrate, for the first time, that neurotensin induces a striking increase in Hsp27 phosphorylation on Ser-82 in PANC-1 cells through convergent p38 MAPK, PKD, and PKD2 signaling. ..
- Peterfy M, Ben Zeev O, Mao H, Weissglas Volkov D, Aouizerat B, Pullinger C, et al. Mutations in LMF1 cause combined lipase deficiency and severe hypertriglyceridemia. Nat Genet. 2007;39:1483-7 pubmed..Thus, through its profound effect on lipase activity, LMF1 emerges as an important candidate gene in hypertriglyceridemia. ..
- Redelings M, Sorvillo F, Mascola L. Increase in Clostridium difficile-related mortality rates, United States, 1999-2004. Emerg Infect Dis. 2007;13:1417-9 pubmed publisher..7 per million population in 1999 to 23.7 per million in 2004. Increased rates may be due to emergence of a highly virulent strain of C. difficile. Rates were higher for whites than for other racial/ethnic groups...
- Wood J, Ghugre N. Magnetic resonance imaging assessment of excess iron in thalassemia, sickle cell disease and other iron overload diseases. Hemoglobin. 2008;32:85-96 pubmed publisher..Specifically, the use of R2 or R2* methods, choice of echo times, appropriate model for data fitting, the use of a pixel-wise or region-based measurement, and the choice of field strength are discussed. ..
- Shi Y, FROST P, Hoang B, Benavides A, Sharma S, Gera J, et al. IL-6-induced stimulation of c-myc translation in multiple myeloma cells is mediated by myc internal ribosome entry site function and the RNA-binding protein, hnRNP A1. Cancer Res. 2008;68:10215-22 pubmed publisher..These data point to hnRNP A1 as a critical regulator of c-myc translation and a potential therapeutic target in multiple myeloma. ..
- Brewer C, Coates T, Wood J. Spleen R2 and R2* in iron-overloaded patients with sickle cell disease and thalassemia major. J Magn Reson Imaging. 2009;29:357-64 pubmed publisher..Splenic iron levels have little predictive value for R2* values of heart, pancreas, and kidney. ..
- Tang E, Wang C. MAVS self-association mediates antiviral innate immune signaling. J Virol. 2009;83:3420-8 pubmed publisher..Our results reveal a role for MAVS self-association in antiviral innate immunity signaling and provide a molecular mechanism for downstream signal transduction. ..
- Shu Y, Hartiala J, Xiang A, Trigo E, Lawrence J, Allayee H, et al. Evidence for sex-specific associations between variation in acid phosphatase locus 1 (ACP1) and insulin sensitivity in Mexican-Americans. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2009;94:4094-102 pubmed publisher..058) and percentage body fat (Bonferroni P = 0.09). There were no significant associations in females. We conclude that variation in ACP1 is associated with fasting insulin and insulin sensitivity in a sex-specific manner. ..
- Novembre J, Di Rienzo A. Spatial patterns of variation due to natural selection in humans. Nat Rev Genet. 2009;10:745-55 pubmed publisher..Here, we review the challenges of these studies and emerging results, including how human population structure has influenced the response to novel selective pressures. ..
- Tang E, Wang C. TRAF5 is a downstream target of MAVS in antiviral innate immune signaling. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e9172 pubmed publisher..Thus, our findings reveal a possible function for TRAF5 in mediating the activation of IRF3 and NF-kappaB downstream of MAVS through the recruitment of NEMO. TRAF5 may be a key molecule in the innate response against viral infection. ..
- Daval M, Gurlo T, Costes S, Huang C, Butler P. Cyclin-dependent kinase 5 promotes pancreatic ?-cell survival via Fak-Akt signaling pathways. Diabetes. 2011;60:1186-97 pubmed publisher..This study shows that by regulating Fak phosphorylation and subsequently PI3K/Akt survival pathway, CDK5 plays a previously unrecognized role in promoting ?-cell survival. ..
- Hilliard A, Miller J, Fraley E, Horvath S, White S. Molecular microcircuitry underlies functional specification in a basal ganglia circuit dedicated to vocal learning. Neuron. 2012;73:537-52 pubmed publisher..The previously unknown structure of singing-driven networks enables prioritization of molecular interactors that probably bear on human motor disorders, especially those affecting speech...
- Fessler D, Holbrook C, Snyder J. Weapons make the man (larger): formidability is represented as size and strength in humans. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e32751 pubmed publisher..These findings pave the way for a fuller understanding of the evolution of the cognitive systems whereby humans--and likely many other social vertebrates--navigate social hierarchies. ..
- Hung A, Cai J, Simmons M, Gill I. "Trifecta" in partial nephrectomy. J Urol. 2013;189:36-42 pubmed publisher..0002). Trifecta should be a routine goal during partial nephrectomy. Despite increasing tumor complexity, trifecta outcomes of robotic/laparoscopic partial nephrectomy improved significantly in the last decade. ..
- Mavila N, James D, Utley S, Cu N, Coblens O, Mak K, et al. Fibroblast growth factor receptor-mediated activation of AKT-?-catenin-CBP pathway regulates survival and proliferation of murine hepatoblasts and hepatic tumor initiating stem cells. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e50401 pubmed publisher..FGF signaling regulates the proliferation and survival of embryonic and transformed progenitor cells in part through AKT-mediated activation of ?-catenin and downstream interaction with the transcriptional co-activator CBP. ..
- Denburg M, Kumar J, Jemielita T, Brooks E, Skversky A, Portale A, et al. Fracture Burden and Risk Factors in Childhood CKD: Results from the CKiD Cohort Study. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2016;27:543-50 pubmed publisher..Regarding modifiable factors, higher average parathyroid hormone level was associated with greater risk of fracture, whereas phosphate binder use was protective in this cohort. ..
- Wang Y, Sun Y, Huang Y, Pan Y, Jia Z, Ma L, et al. Association study between Van der Woude Syndrome causative gene GRHL3 and nonsyndromic cleft lip with or without cleft palate in a Chinese cohort. Gene. 2016;588:69-73 pubmed publisher..Further, the robustness of association between GRHL3 and NSCL/P should be further validated in expanded cohorts. ..
- Seabury S, Bognar K, Xu Y, Huber C, Commerford S, Tayama D. Regional disparities in the quality of stroke care. Am J Emerg Med. 2017;35:1234-1239 pubmed publisher..e. through training and hiring new neurologists) or by adopting decision support systems such as telemedicine. ..
- Jordan W. Chancroid: a review for the family practitioner. J Natl Med Assoc. 1991;83:724-6 pubmed..The number of cases have continued to rise in recent years. Because it can cause irreversible anatomical destruction, making the correct diagnosis is important and can prevent chronic morbidity...
- DeLorey T, Handforth A, Anagnostaras S, Homanics G, Minassian B, Asatourian A, et al. Mice lacking the beta3 subunit of the GABAA receptor have the epilepsy phenotype and many of the behavioral characteristics of Angelman syndrome. J Neurosci. 1998;18:8505-14 pubmed..At least one other gene, the E6-associated protein ubiquitin-protein ligase (UBE3A) gene, has been implicated in AS, so the relative contribution of the GABRB3 gene alone or in combination with other genes remains to be established. ..
- Nakamura C, Ng G, Paton J, Keens T, Witmer J, Bautista Bolduc D, et al. Correlation between digital clubbing and pulmonary function in cystic fibrosis. Pediatr Pulmonol. 2002;33:332-8 pubmed..34), PaCO(2) (r = 0.167; P = 0.10), or history of liver disease (P = 0.08). We conclude that in CF, the degree of digital clubbing is related to degree of hypoxemia, airways obstruction, hyperinflation, and nonuniformity of ventilation...
- Chang L, Berman S, Mayer E, Suyenobu B, Derbyshire S, Naliboff B, et al. Brain responses to visceral and somatic stimuli in patients with irritable bowel syndrome with and without fibromyalgia. Am J Gastroenterol. 2003;98:1354-61 pubmed
- Curtis C, Hemmeryckx B, Haataja L, Senadheera D, Groffen J, Heisterkamp N. Scambio, a novel guanine nucleotide exchange factor for Rho. Mol Cancer. 2004;3:10 pubmed..Scambio associates with Rac in its activated conformation and functions as a guanine nucleotide exchange factor for Rho. ..
- Chen P, Chou C, Tan A, Zhou S, Fishbein M, Hwang C, et al. The mechanisms of atrial fibrillation. J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol. 2006;17 Suppl 3:S2-7 pubmed..Therefore, thoracic vein isolation is an important technique in AF control. We conclude that thoracic veins are important in the generation and maintenance of AF...
- Finegold S. Therapy and epidemiology of autism--clostridial spores as key elements. Med Hypotheses. 2008;70:508-11 pubmed
- Stengel A, TACHE Y. Neuroendocrine control of the gut during stress: corticotropin-releasing factor signaling pathways in the spotlight. Annu Rev Physiol. 2009;71:219-39 pubmed publisher..Here, we review how various stressors affect the gut, with special emphasis on the central and peripheral CRF signaling systems. ..
- Wegmann D, Kessner D, Veeramah K, Mathias R, Nicolae D, Yanek L, et al. Recombination rates in admixed individuals identified by ancestry-based inference. Nat Genet. 2011;43:847-53 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that outside of structurally variable regions, admixture does not substantially disrupt the factors controlling recombination rates in humans. ..
- Tottenham N. Risk and developmental heterogeneity in previously institutionalized children. J Adolesc Health. 2012;51:S29-33 pubmed publisher..The author concludes with an emphasis on heterogeneity in outcome, describing how the risk associated with institutional care is not a deterministic factor but rather an influential one. ..
- Lu P, Lee G, Tishler T, Meghpara M, Thompson P, Bartzokis G. Myelin breakdown mediates age-related slowing in cognitive processing speed in healthy elderly men. Brain Cogn. 2013;81:131-8 pubmed publisher..037). In this very healthy elderly sample, age-related slowing in CPS is mediated by myelin breakdown in highly vulnerable late-myelinating regions but not in the splenium. ..
- Wallace D, Kalunian K, Petri M, Strand V, Houssiau F, Pike M, et al. Efficacy and safety of epratuzumab in patients with moderate/severe active systemic lupus erythematosus: results from EMBLEM, a phase IIb, randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, multicentre study. Ann Rheum Dis. 2014;73:183-90 pubmed publisher..Treatment with epratuzumab 2400 mg cd was well tolerated in patients with moderately to severely active SLE, and associated with improvements in disease activity. Phase III studies are ongoing. ..
- Mitra A, Castelao J, Hawes D, Tsao Wei D, Jiang X, Shi S, et al. Combination of molecular alterations and smoking intensity predicts bladder cancer outcome: a report from the Los Angeles Cancer Surveillance Program. Cancer. 2013;119:756-65 pubmed publisher..Predictive value of the 9-biomarker panel with smoking intensity was significantly higher than that of routine clinicopathological parameters alone. ..
- Blouin A, Fried I, Wilson C, Staba R, Behnke E, Lam H, et al. Human hypocretin and melanin-concentrating hormone levels are linked to emotion and social interaction. Nat Commun. 2013;4:1547 pubmed publisher..Levels of these two peptides in humans are not simply linked to arousal, but rather to specific emotions and state transitions. Other arousal systems may be similarly emotionally specialized. ..
- Paige N, Miake Lye I, Booth M, Beroes J, Mardian A, Dougherty P, et al. Association of Spinal Manipulative Therapy With Clinical Benefit and Harm for Acute Low Back Pain: Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. JAMA. 2017;317:1451-1460 pubmed publisher..Acute low back pain is common and spinal manipulative therapy (SMT) is a treatment option. Randomized clinical trials (RCTs) and meta-analyses have reported different conclusions about the effectiveness of SMT...
- Wollman R. Single-Molecule Threshold of HIV Fate Decision. Biophys J. 2017;112:2247-2248 pubmed publisher..Interestingly, the model shows that the transient threshold is a result of a single molecule threshold that occurs when the promoter toggles between inactive and active states. ..
- Odegaard B, Knight R, Lau H. Should a Few Null Findings Falsify Prefrontal Theories of Conscious Perception?. J Neurosci. 2017;37:9593-9602 pubmed publisher..Postle, Christof Koch, and Giulio Tononi. ..
- Wang R, Martinez Frias M, Graham J. Infants of diabetic mothers are at increased risk for the oculo-auriculo-vertebral sequence: A case-based and case-control approach. J Pediatr. 2002;141:611-7 pubmed..To determine if infants of diabetic mothers (IDM) are at increased risk for dysplastic ears and the oculoauriculo-vertebral spectrum (OAVS)...
- Zhu Q, Azimov R, Kao L, Newman D, Liu W, Abuladze N, et al. NBCe1-A Transmembrane Segment 1 Lines the Ion Translocation Pathway. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:8918-29 pubmed publisher..Our findings are suggestive of a delta(-) helical dipole at the C-terminal end of TM1 involving Thr-442 that plays a critical role in the function of the cotransporter. ..
- Isas J, Luibl V, Johnson L, Kayed R, Wetzel R, Glabe C, et al. Soluble and mature amyloid fibrils in drusen deposits. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2010;51:1304-10 pubmed publisher..In previous study, a conformational-specific antibody showed drusen to contain nonfibrillar amyloid structures. The current study was undertaken to assess the presence of additional amyloid structures in drusen...
- Winer J, Kim P, Law M, Liu C, Apuzzo M. Visualizing the future: enhancing neuroimaging with nanotechnology. World Neurosurg. 2011;75:626-37; discussion 618-9 pubmed publisher..This article will discuss the background of nanotechnology's use in imaging of the nervous system, its current status, and future potentials. ..
- Tobis J, Shenoda M. Percutaneous treatment of patent foramen ovale and atrial septal defects. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2012;60:1722-32 pubmed publisher..This review will focus on the anatomy, associated syndromes, detection, and data for percutaneous closure of both PFOs and ASDs. ..
- Hernandez R, Hurwitz R, Foote J, Zimmern P, Leach G. Nonsurgical management of threatened upper urinary tracts and incontinence in children with myelomeningocele. J Urol. 1994;152:1582-5 pubmed..Surgical management should be reserved for the minority of patients whose upper tract changes do not resolve and for those whose degree of continence is not satisfactory with nonsurgical management...
- Chien W, Pei L. A novel binding factor facilitates nuclear translocation and transcriptional activation function of the pituitary tumor-transforming gene product. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:19422-7 pubmed..In summary, we have characterized a novel PTTG-binding protein that facilitates PTTG nuclear translocation and potentiates its transcriptional activation function. ..
- Ljubimov A, Saghizadeh M, Pytela R, Sheppard D, Kenney M. Increased expression of tenascin-C-binding epithelial integrins in human bullous keratopathy corneas. J Histochem Cytochem. 2001;49:1341-50 pubmed..The interaction of tenascin-C with these integrins may contribute to the fibrotic process that occurs in PBK/ABK corneas. ..
- Macnaughton T, Shi S, Modahl L, Lai M. Rolling circle replication of hepatitis delta virus RNA is carried out by two different cellular RNA polymerases. J Virol. 2002;76:3920-7 pubmed
- House H, Hansen M, Al Dakhail A, House J. Stapedectomy versus stapedotomy: comparison of results with long-term follow-up. Laryngoscope. 2002;112:2046-50 pubmed..Results were the same when comparing the two procedures in patients having undergone both. These results show that, in the hands of an experienced surgeon, either technique provides satisfactory and stable long-term results. ..
- Pajukanta P, Lilja H, Sinsheimer J, Cantor R, Lusis A, Gentile M, et al. Familial combined hyperlipidemia is associated with upstream transcription factor 1 (USF1). Nat Genet. 2004;36:371-6 pubmed..USF1 encodes a transcription factor known to regulate several genes of glucose and lipid metabolism. ..
- Mattoo S, Cherry J. Molecular pathogenesis, epidemiology, and clinical manifestations of respiratory infections due to Bordetella pertussis and other Bordetella subspecies. Clin Microbiol Rev. 2005;18:326-82 pubmed..It is also hoped that data gathered from molecular Bordetella research will lead to a new generation of DTaP vaccines which provide greater efficacy than is provided by today's vaccines...
- Read R, Zhang J, Albini T, Evans M, Rao N. Splendore-Hoeppli phenomenon in the conjunctiva: immunohistochemical analysis. Am J Ophthalmol. 2005;140:262-6 pubmed..The composition of Splendore-Hoeppli phenomenon material varies and may be related to various factors, including timing of biopsy and prior treatment. ..
- Yang C, Kim J, Stallcup M. Role of the N-terminal activation domain of the coiled-coil coactivator in mediating transcriptional activation by beta-catenin. Mol Endocrinol. 2006;20:3251-62 pubmed..Thus, the coactivator function of CoCoA for nuclear receptors and LEF1/beta-catenin involves differential utilization of two different CoCoA ADs. ..
- Khurana R, Labree L, Scott G, Smith R, Yiu S. Esterified estrogens combined with methyltestosterone raise intraocular pressure in postmenopausal women. Am J Ophthalmol. 2006;142:494-5 pubmed..Esterified estrogens combined with methyltestosterone produce a clinically significant increase in IOP in postmenopausal women with dry eye syndrome. ..
- Chen H, Xia M, Lin M, Yang H, Kuhlenkamp J, Li T, et al. Role of methionine adenosyltransferase 2A and S-adenosylmethionine in mitogen-induced growth of human colon cancer cells. Gastroenterology. 2007;133:207-18 pubmed..Similar to the liver, up-regulation of MAT2A also provides a growth advantage and SAMe and MTA can block mitogenic signaling in colon cancer cells. ..
- Qin J, Calabrese P, Tiemann Boege I, Shinde D, Yoon S, Gelfand D, et al. The molecular anatomy of spontaneous germline mutations in human testes. PLoS Biol. 2007;5:e224 pubmed..Studying the anatomical distribution of germline mutations can provide new insights into genetic disease and evolutionary change. ..
- Ma Q, Harris White M, Ubeda O, Simmons M, Beech W, Lim G, et al. Evidence of Abeta- and transgene-dependent defects in ERK-CREB signaling in Alzheimer's models. J Neurochem. 2007;103:1594-607 pubmed..These effects were reversed by anti-oligomer. Our data strongly support the existence of an APPsw transgene-dependent and Abeta oligomer-mediated defect in regulation of ERK activation. ..
- Grigoryan R, Yang B, Keshelava N, Barnhart J, Reynolds C. Flow cytometry analysis of single-strand DNA damage in neuroblastoma cell lines using the F7-26 monoclonal antibody. Cytometry A. 2007;71:951-60 pubmed..These data demonstrate that Mab F7-26 recognized ssDNA due to exogenous DNA damage, rather than apoptosis. This assay should be useful to characterize the mechanism of action of antineoplastic drugs. ..
- Shields W, Snead O. Benign epilepsy with centrotemporal spikes. Epilepsia. 2009;50 Suppl 8:10-5 pubmed publisher..Future research may lead to changes in the recommendations. ..
- Singhal A, Nagarajan R, Hinkin C, Kumar R, Sayre J, Elderkin Thompson V, et al. Two-dimensional MR spectroscopy of minimal hepatic encephalopathy and neuropsychological correlates in vivo. J Magn Reson Imaging. 2010;32:35-43 pubmed publisher..The results suggest that depletions of myo-inositol, choline and taurine with respect to creatine correlate with measures of neuropsychological impairment. ..
- Gu Z, Biswas A, Zhao M, Tang Y. Tailoring nanocarriers for intracellular protein delivery. Chem Soc Rev. 2011;40:3638-55 pubmed publisher..Advantages and limitations of current strategies, as well as future opportunities and challenges are also discussed. ..
- Le P, Tan O, Chopra V, Francis B, Ragab O, Varma R, et al. Regional correlation among ganglion cell complex, nerve fiber layer, and visual field loss in glaucoma. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2013;54:4287-95 pubmed publisher..Using these different data sources together may improve our understanding of glaucomatous damage and aid in the management of patients with glaucoma. ..
- Lerman S, Liao J. Neonatal circumcision. Pediatr Clin North Am. 2001;48:1539-57 pubmed..Parents who choose to have their children circumcised also should be encouraged to actively seek an experienced practitioner who can afford the child adequate local analgesia...
- Schmidt A, Ogawa T, Gailani D, Bajaj S. Structural role of Gly(193) in serine proteases: investigations of a G555E (GLY193 in chymotrypsin) mutant of blood coagulation factor XI. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:29485-92 pubmed..Such arguments will apply to other serine proteases with substitutions of Gly(193) with a non-glycine residue. ..
- Gery S, Komatsu N, Baldjyan L, Yu A, Koo D, Koeffler H. The circadian gene per1 plays an important role in cell growth and DNA damage control in human cancer cells. Mol Cell. 2006;22:375-82 pubmed..Our results highlight the importance of circadian regulation to fundamental cellular functions and support the hypothesis that disruption of core clock genes may lead to cancer development. ..
- Rimoin A, Kisalu N, Kebela Ilunga B, Mukaba T, Wright L, Formenty P, et al. Endemic human monkeypox, Democratic Republic of Congo, 2001-2004. Emerg Infect Dis. 2007;13:934-7 pubmed..PCR demonstrated chickenpox in 61 patients. Coinfection with both viruses was found in 1 additional patient...
- Lurje G, Zhang W, Yang D, Groshen S, Hendifar A, Husain H, et al. Thymidylate synthase haplotype is associated with tumor recurrence in stage II and stage III colon cancer. Pharmacogenet Genomics. 2008;18:161-8 pubmed publisher..Larger, independent, prospective studies are, however, needed to confirm and validate our preliminary findings. ..
- Motivala S, Tomiyama A, Ziegler M, Khandrika S, Irwin M. Nocturnal levels of ghrelin and leptin and sleep in chronic insomnia. Psychoneuroendocrinology. 2009;34:540-5 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that insomnia patients have a dysregulation in energy balance that may play a role in explaining prospective weight gain in this population. ..
- Trelease R. Diffusion of innovations: smartphones and wireless anatomy learning resources. Anat Sci Educ. 2008;1:233-9 pubmed publisher..With widespread student self-adoption of such new personal technology, educators can look forward to increasing portability of well-designed, multiplatform "learn anywhere" resources. ..
- Beedanagari S, Bebenek I, Bui P, Hankinson O. Resveratrol inhibits dioxin-induced expression of human CYP1A1 and CYP1B1 by inhibiting recruitment of the aryl hydrocarbon receptor complex and RNA polymerase II to the regulatory regions of the corresponding genes. Toxicol Sci. 2009;110:61-7 pubmed publisher..The reduced transcriptional factor binding at their enhancers then results in reduced pol II recruitment at the promoters of these genes. ..
- Gill I, Eisenberg M, Aron M, Berger A, Ukimura O, Patil M, et al. "Zero ischemia" partial nephrectomy: novel laparoscopic and robotic technique. Eur Urol. 2011;59:128-34 pubmed publisher..Median absolute and percent change in discharge serum creatinine and eGFR were 0 and 0%, respectively. A novel zero ischemia technique for RAPN and LPN for substantial renal tumors is presented. The initial experience is encouraging. ..
- Tobinick E. Rapid improvement of chronic stroke deficits after perispinal etanercept: three consecutive cases. CNS Drugs. 2011;25:145-55 pubmed publisher..Randomized clinical trials of perispinal etanercept for selected patients with chronic neurological dysfunction following stroke are indicated. ..
- Anderson W, Puntillo K, Boyle D, Barbour S, Turner K, Cimino J, et al. ICU Bedside Nurses' Involvement in Palliative Care Communication: A Multicenter Survey. J Pain Symptom Manage. 2016;51:589-596.e2 pubmed publisher..Based on the barriers participants identified regarding their engagement, interventions are needed to ensure that nurses have the education, opportunities, and support to actively participate in these discussions. ..
- Ishikawa H, Heaney A, Yu R, Horwitz G, Melmed S. Human pituitary tumor-transforming gene induces angiogenesis. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2001;86:867-74 pubmed..These PTTG-directed angiogenic actions may be mediated through bFGF, which also contributes to tumor growth. ..
- Ning Z, Geller M, Moore K, Sheesley R, Schauer J, Sioutas C. Daily variation in chemical characteristics of urban ultrafine aerosols and inference of their sources. Environ Sci Technol. 2007;41:6000-6 pubmed
- Ortiz S, Borchert M. Long-term outcomes of pediatric ocular myasthenia gravis. Ophthalmology. 2008;115:1245-1248.e1 pubmed..Most children can be safely treated with pyridostigmine alone. Generalization to systemic disease occurs at a much lower rate than in adults. Ocular manifestations stabilize in all children and completely resolve in some. ..
- Neely M, Rakhmanina N. Pharmacokinetic optimization of antiretroviral therapy in children and adolescents. Clin Pharmacokinet. 2011;50:143-89 pubmed publisher..Discussion of the influences of malnutrition and herbal remedies is also included. Finally, consideration is given to future work in this field. ..