Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on humans in Davis, California, United States
Locale: Davis, California, United States
Publications684 found, 100 shown here
- Martin M, Conger R, Schofield T, Dogan S, Widaman K, Donnellan M, et al. Evaluation of the interactionist model of socioeconomic status and problem behavior: a developmental cascade across generations. Dev Psychopathol. 2010;22:695-713 pubmed publisher..Some of the predicted pathways varied by G1 parent gender. The results are consistent with the view that processes of both social selection and social causation account for the association between SES and human development. ..
- Burton Freeman B, Linares A, Hyson D, Kappagoda T. Strawberry modulates LDL oxidation and postprandial lipemia in response to high-fat meal in overweight hyperlipidemic men and women. J Am Coll Nutr. 2010;29:46-54 pubmed..0001, and p = 0.0002). The present results support a role for strawberry in mitigating fed-state oxidative stressors that may contribute to atherogenesis. ..
- Tassone F, Qi L, Zhang W, Hansen R, Pessah I, Hertz Picciotto I. MAOA, DBH, and SLC6A4 variants in CHARGE: a case-control study of autism spectrum disorders. Autism Res. 2011;4:250-61 pubmed publisher..19, 7.91, P = 0.02 for AU vs. TD, and OR = 3.26, 95% CI = 1.35, 7.89, P = 0.009 for AU+ASD vs. TD). These results suggest a potential role of the functional MAOA promoter alleles in the male child, the mother, or both in ASD. ..
- Checchi P, Engebrecht J. Heteromorphic sex chromosomes: navigating meiosis without a homologous partner. Mol Reprod Dev. 2011;78:623-32 pubmed publisher..Comparative analyses of the meiotic behavior of sex chromosomes in nematodes, mammals, and birds reveal important conserved features as well as provide insight into sex chromosome evolution...
- Maselli R, Fernandez J, Arredondo J, Navarro C, Ngo M, Beeson D, et al. LG2 agrin mutation causing severe congenital myasthenic syndrome mimics functional characteristics of non-neural (z-) agrin. Hum Genet. 2012;131:1123-35 pubmed publisher..The impaired ability of V1727F agrin to activate MuSK and cluster AChRs, together with its increased affinity to ?-dystroglycan, mimics non-neural (z-) agrin and are important determinants of the pathogenesis of the disease. ..
- Song L, Shan Y, Lloyd K, Cortopassi G. Mutant Twinkle increases dopaminergic neurodegeneration, mtDNA deletions and modulates Parkin expression. Hum Mol Genet. 2012;21:5147-58 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our data demonstrate that mammalian Twinkle is important for mitochondrial integrity in DA neurons and provide a novel mouse model in which increased mtDNA deletions may lead to DA neuron degeneration and parkinsonism. ..
- La Merrill M, Cirillo P, Terry M, Krigbaum N, Flom J, Cohn B. Prenatal exposure to the pesticide DDT and hypertension diagnosed in women before age 50: a longitudinal birth cohort study. Environ Health Perspect. 2013;121:594-9 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that the association between DDT exposure and hypertension may have its origins early in development. ..
- Miller J, Kahle S, Hastings P. Roots and Benefits of Costly Giving: Children Who Are More Altruistic Have Greater Autonomic Flexibility and Less Family Wealth. Psychol Sci. 2015;26:1038-45 pubmed publisher..When children help others at a cost to themselves, they could be playing an active role in promoting their own well-being as well as the well-being of others. ..
- Atherton O, Schofield T, Sitka A, Conger R, Robins R. Unsupervised self-care predicts conduct problems: The moderating roles of hostile aggression and gender. J Adolesc. 2016;48:1-10 pubmed publisher..The main and interactive effects held for both mother-reported and observational-rated hostile aggression and after controlling for potential confounds. ..
- Naranda T, Kainuma M, MacMillan S, Hershey J. The 39-kilodalton subunit of eukaryotic translation initiation factor 3 is essential for the complex's integrity and for cell viability in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Cell Biol. 1997;17:145-53 pubmed
- Denison M, Phelan D, Winter G, Ziccardi M. Carbaryl, a carbamate insecticide, is a ligand for the hepatic Ah (dioxin) receptor. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 1998;152:406-14 pubmed..Our results confirm that carbaryl is both a weak AhR ligand and inducer of AhR-dependent gene expression and argue against its proposed ligand-independent mechanism of AhR activation...
- Long S, Van de Water J, Gershwin M. Antimitochondrial antibodies in primary biliary cirrhosis: the role of xenobiotics. Autoimmun Rev. 2002;1:37-42 pubmed..e. chemicals) exposure. In particular, we postulate that halogenated compounds will bind to the autoantigen, break tolerance, and lead to an intense mucosal response. ..
- Corbin C, Mapes S, Marcos J, Shackleton C, Morrow D, Safe S, et al. Paralogues of porcine aromatase cytochrome P450: a novel hydroxylase activity is associated with the survival of a duplicated gene. Endocrinology. 2004;145:2157-64 pubmed..It probably represents an evolutionary gain of function associated with fixation and the survival of the genes after CYP19 duplication. Novel activities and adaptive functions may exist among other duplicated vertebrate aromatases. ..
- Lansdon E, Fisher A, Segel I. Human 3'-phosphoadenosine 5'-phosphosulfate synthetase (isoform 1, brain): kinetic properties of the adenosine triphosphate sulfurylase and adenosine 5'-phosphosulfate kinase domains. Biochemistry. 2004;43:4356-65 pubmed..Chlorate and perchlorate form dead-end E.MgATP.oxyanion complexes. Phenylalanine, reported to be an inhibitor of brain ATP sulfurylase, was without effect on PAPS synthetase isoform 1. ..
- Wollman R, Cytrynbaum E, Jones J, Meyer T, Scholey J, Mogilner A. Efficient chromosome capture requires a bias in the 'search-and-capture' process during mitotic-spindle assembly. Curr Biol. 2005;15:828-32 pubmed..We discuss the possibility that a RanGTP gradient introduces a spatial bias into microtubule dynamics and thus improves the efficiency of search-and-capture as a mechanism for spindle assembly. ..
- Sarantos M, Raychaudhuri S, Lum A, Staunton D, Simon S. Leukocyte function-associated antigen 1-mediated adhesion stability is dynamically regulated through affinity and valency during bond formation with intercellular adhesion molecule-1. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:28290-8 pubmed..These data reveal the respective importance of LFA-1 affinity and proximity in tuning bond lifetime with ICAM-1 and demonstrate a nonlinear increase in the bond lifetime of the dimer versus the monomer at higher affinity. ..
- Seldin M, Shigeta R, Villoslada P, Selmi C, Tuomilehto J, Silva G, et al. European population substructure: clustering of northern and southern populations. PLoS Genet. 2006;2:e143 pubmed..Based on this work, we have developed a core set of informative SNP markers that can control for this partition in European population structure in a variety of clinical and genetic studies. ..
- Sridhar M, Insana M. Ultrasonic measurements of breast viscoelasticity. Med Phys. 2007;34:4757-67 pubmed..e., tissue creep never reached a plateau. Contrasting in vivo breast measurements with those in gelatin hydrogels, preliminary ideas regarding the mechanisms for viscoelastic contrast are emerging. ..
- Kim K, Perroud B, Espinal G, Kachinskas D, Austrheim Smith I, Wolfe B, et al. Genes and networks expressed in perioperative omental adipose tissue are correlated with weight loss from Roux-en-Y gastric bypass. Int J Obes (Lond). 2008;32:1395-406 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that EWL could be predicted from preoperative samples, which would allow for informed decisions about whether or not to proceed to surgery. ..
- Shah S, Howland M, Chen L, Silangcruz J, Verkhoturov S, Schweikert E, et al. Micropatterning of proteins and mammalian cells on indium tin oxide. ACS Appl Mater Interfaces. 2009;1:2592-601 pubmed publisher..The novel surface engineering strategy described here may be used to pattern multiple cell types on an optically transparent and conductive substrate and is envisioned to have applications in tissue engineering and biosensing...
- Davies A, Kaplan K. Hsp90-Sgt1 and Skp1 target human Mis12 complexes to ensure efficient formation of kinetochore-microtubule binding sites. J Cell Biol. 2010;189:261-74 pubmed publisher..These findings support a novel role for Hsp90-Sgt1 chaperones in ensuring the fidelity of multiprotein complex assembly. ..
- Olichney J, Chan S, Wong L, Schneider A, Seritan A, Niese A, et al. Abnormal N400 word repetition effects in fragile X-associated tremor/ataxia syndrome. Brain. 2010;133:1438-50 pubmed publisher..Their more severe reduction in N400 repetition effect, than P600, is in contrast to the reverse pattern reported in amnestic mild cognitive impairment and incipient Alzheimer's disease (Olichney et al., 2008). ..
- Bowlus C, Li C, Karlsen T, Lie B, Selmi C. Primary sclerosing cholangitis in genetically diverse populations listed for liver transplantation: unique clinical and human leukocyte antigen associations. Liver Transpl. 2010;16:1324-30 pubmed publisher..The association with HLA-B8 but not HLA-DR3 in African Americans should make possible the refinement of the HLA associations in PSC. ..
- Steenhuis P, Huntley R, Gurenko Z, Yin L, Dale B, Fazel N, et al. Adrenergic signaling in human oral keratinocytes and wound repair. J Dent Res. 2011;90:186-92 pubmed publisher..These findings demonstrate that stress-induced elevations of salivary catecholamines signal through MAPK pathways, and result in impaired oral keratinocyte migration required for healing. ..
- Ahn K, Gee S, Kim H, Aronov P, Vega H, Krieger R, et al. Immunochemical analysis of 3-phenoxybenzoic acid, a biomarker of forestry worker exposure to pyrethroid insecticides. Anal Bioanal Chem. 2011;401:1285-93 pubmed publisher..This ELISA method using a 96-well plate was performed as a high-throughput tool for analyzing around 300 urine samples measured in triplicate to provide data for workers exposure assessment. ..
- Pechenino A, Lin L, Mbai F, Lee A, He X, Stallone J, et al. Impact of aging vs. estrogen loss on cardiac gene expression: estrogen replacement and inflammation. Physiol Genomics. 2011;43:1065-73 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that increased expression of inflammatory genes, such as TNF-? and iNOS, may be involved in some of the deleterious effects of delayed E2 administration seen in human studies. ..
- Trott K, Chau J, Hudgens M, Fine J, Mfalila C, Tarara R, et al. Evidence for an increased risk of transmission of simian immunodeficiency virus and malaria in a rhesus macaque coinfection model. J Virol. 2011;85:11655-63 pubmed publisher..Therefore, this model could serve as an essential tool to elucidate distinct immunological, virological, and/or parasitological parameters underlying disease exacerbation in HIV-malaria coinfected people. ..
- Guyer A, Choate V, Detloff A, Benson B, Nelson E, Perez Edgar K, et al. Striatal functional alteration during incentive anticipation in pediatric anxiety disorders. Am J Psychiatry. 2012;169:205-12 pubmed
- Gerstein M, Kundaje A, Hariharan M, Landt S, Yan K, Cheng C, et al. Architecture of the human regulatory network derived from ENCODE data. Nature. 2012;489:91-100 pubmed publisher..The regulatory information obtained in this study will be crucial for interpreting personal genome sequences and understanding basic principles of human biology and disease...
- Pet G, Stark R, Meehan J, Javid P. Outcomes of bedside sutureless umbilical closure without endotracheal intubation for gastroschisis repair in surgical infants. Am J Surg. 2017;213:958-962 pubmed publisher..The procedure decreases time to gastroschisis closure. Smaller and more premature neonates were more likely to be successfully closed without intubation. ..
- Sexson K, Lindauer A, Harvath T. Administration of Subcutaneous Injections. Am J Nurs. 2017;117:S7-S10 pubmed publisher..Each article explains the principles nurses should consider and reinforce with caregivers and is accompanied by a video for the caregiver to watch. The second video can be accessed at http://links.lww.com/AJN/A75. ..
- Chae J, Foley J, Dumler J, Madigan J. Comparison of the nucleotide sequences of 16S rRNA, 444 Ep-ank, and groESL heat shock operon genes in naturally occurring Ehrlichia equi and human granulocytic ehrlichiosis agent isolates from Northern California. J Clin Microbiol. 2000;38:1364-9 pubmed..equi isolates from northern California. These results suggest that E. equi and the HGE agent found in California are similar or identical but may differ from the isolates of equine and human origin found in the eastern United States...
- Leistikow B, Martin D, Milano C. Estimates of smoking-attributable deaths at ages 15-54, motherless or fatherless youths, and resulting Social Security costs in the United States in 1994. Prev Med. 2000;30:353-60 pubmed..58-3.7) billion in 1994. Smoking causes many U.S. deaths at ages 15-54, youth bereavements, and Survivors Insurance costs. Reductions in smoking may greatly reduce those deaths, bereavements, and taxpayer and societal costs. ..
- Leung P, Park O, Matsumura S, Ansari A, Coppel R, Gershwin M. Is there a relation between Chlamydia infection and primary biliary cirrhosis?. Clin Dev Immunol. 2003;10:227-33 pubmed..The detection of Chlamydia specific antibodies but not Chlamydia rRNA gene and Chlamydia antigens in PBC suggests that Chlamydia infection is not involved in PBC. ..
- Johnson S, Simmons K, Pappagianis D. Amplification of coccidioidal DNA in clinical specimens by PCR. J Clin Microbiol. 2004;42:1982-5 pubmed..A 239-bp product was visualized when 10 fg of exogenous coccidioidal DNA was subjected to amplification. This product was demonstrated in some human and mouse sera prior to the detection of coccidioidal antibodies. ..
- Bauerly K, Kelleher S, Lonnerdal B. Effects of copper supplementation on copper absorption, tissue distribution, and copper transporter expression in an infant rat model. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2005;288:G1007-14 pubmed..Despite these adaptive changes, Cu supplementation resulted in elevated alanine aminotransferase levels, suggesting a risk of Cu toxicity with supplementation during infancy. ..
- Chomel B, Boulouis H, Maruyama S, Breitschwerdt E. Bartonella spp. in pets and effect on human health. Emerg Infect Dis. 2006;12:389-94 pubmed..We review current knowledge on the etiologic agents, clinical features, and epidemiologic characteristics of these emerging zoonoses...
- Afify A, Lynne L, Howell L. Correlation of cytologic examination with ELISA assays for hyaluronan and soluble CD44v6 levels in evaluation of effusions. Diagn Cytopathol. 2007;35:105-10 pubmed..We conclude that the HA and sCD44v6 levels in body fluids correlate with the cytology diagnosis and could be used as an ancillary study in cytology to differentiate nonmalignant from malignant effusions...
- Underwood M, Milstein J, Sherman M. Near-infrared spectroscopy as a screening tool for patent ductus arteriosus in extremely low birth weight infants. Neonatology. 2007;91:134-9 pubmed..This pilot study of a portable NIRS device shows encouraging efficacy in identifying ELBW infants who were likely to benefit from early echocardiography and subsequent intervention to close a PDA. Further study is warranted. ..
- Huang S, Zhao L, Kim K, Lee D, Hwang D. Inhibition of Nod2 signaling and target gene expression by curcumin. Mol Pharmacol. 2008;74:274-81 pubmed publisher..It remains to be determined whether these phytochemicals possess protective or therapeutic efficacy against Nod2-mediated inflammatory disorders. ..
- Davis P, Jenab M, Vanden Heuvel J, Furlong T, Taylor S. Tree nut and peanut consumption in relation to chronic and metabolic diseases including allergy. J Nutr. 2008;138:1757S-1762S pubmed..Ultimately, to maximize the positive benefits of nuts, the consumer must be provided with all the information required to make an informed choice...
- Kundu S, Brinkmeyer M, Livingston A, David S. Adenine removal activity and bacterial complementation with the human MutY homologue (MUTYH) and Y165C, G382D, P391L and Q324R variants associated with colorectal cancer. DNA Repair (Amst). 2009;8:1400-10 pubmed publisher..This suggests that the consequences of a specific amino acid variation on overall repair in a cellular context may be magnified. ..
- Phan T, Jow M, Privalsky M. DNA recognition by thyroid hormone and retinoic acid receptors: 3,4,5 rule modified. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2010;319:88-98 pubmed publisher..We also provide evidence that auxiliary proteins in cells generate an additional layer of receptor-specific target gene recognition, in part by destabilizing the binding of nuclear receptors to the "wrong" response elements. ..
- Alikhan A, Gorouhi F, Zargari O. Fox-Fordyce disease exacerbated by hyperhidrosis. Pediatr Dermatol. 2010;27:162-5 pubmed publisher..These lesions started before puberty, and were exacerbated by hyperhidrosis. ..
- Liu J, Doty T, Gibson B, Heyer W. Human BRCA2 protein promotes RAD51 filament formation on RPA-covered single-stranded DNA. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2010;17:1260-2 pubmed publisher..We report the purification of full-length human BRCA2 and show that it binds to ~6 RAD51 molecules and promotes RAD51 binding to ssDNA coated by replication protein A (RPA), in a manner that is stimulated by DSS1. ..
- Gardner I. Quality standards are needed for reporting of test accuracy studies for animal diseases. Prev Vet Med. 2010;97:136-43 pubmed publisher..Finally, the contributions of Dr. Hollis Erb to improvements in methodological and reporting qualities of test accuracy studies in Preventive Veterinary Medicine are described...
- Özeş A, Feoktistova K, Avanzino B, Fraser C. Duplex unwinding and ATPase activities of the DEAD-box helicase eIF4A are coupled by eIF4G and eIF4B. J Mol Biol. 2011;412:674-87 pubmed publisher..This finding explains how a change in the GC content of a hairpin is able to influence translation initiation while maintaining the overall predicted thermal stability. ..
- Barisone G, Ngo T, Tran M, Cortes D, Shahi M, Nguyen T, et al. Role of MXD3 in proliferation of DAOY human medulloblastoma cells. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e38508 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that MXD3 is necessary for DAOY medulloblastoma cell proliferation. However, increased level and/or duration of MXD3 expression ultimately reduces cell numbers via increased cell death and cell cycle arrest. ..
- Niles B, Powers T. Plasma membrane proteins Slm1 and Slm2 mediate activation of the AGC kinase Ypk1 by TORC2 and sphingolipids in S. cerevisiae. Cell Cycle. 2012;11:3745-9 pubmed publisher..Together, these studies reveal the existence of an intricate homeostatic feedback mechanism, whereby the activity of these signaling components is linked to the biosynthesis of PM lipids according to cellular need. ..
- Han J, Sudheendra L, Kim H, Gee S, Hammock B, Kennedy I. Ultrasensitive on-chip immunoassays with a nanoparticle-assembled photonic crystal. ACS Nano. 2012;6:8570-82 pubmed publisher..The simplicity of operation and the level of sensitivity demonstrated here can be used for rapid and early stage detection of biomarkers. ..
- Jensen R, Ozes A, Kim T, Estep A, Kowalczykowski S. BRCA2 is epistatic to the RAD51 paralogs in response to DNA damage. DNA Repair (Amst). 2013;12:306-11 pubmed publisher..The results indicate that loss of BRCA2 alone imparts a more severe phenotype than the loss of any individual RAD51 paralog and that BRCA2 is epistatic to each of the four paralogs tested. ..
- Vernau K, Runstadler J, Brown E, Cameron J, Huson H, Higgins R, et al. Genome-wide association analysis identifies a mutation in the thiamine transporter 2 (SLC19A3) gene associated with Alaskan Husky encephalopathy. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e57195 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, this mutation was not detected in another 187 dogs of different breeds. These results suggest that this mutation in SLC19A3.1, encoding a thiamine transporter protein, plays a critical role in the pathogenesis of AHE. ..
- Tucker R, Ferralli J, Schittny J, Chiquet Ehrismann R. Tenascin-C and tenascin-W in whisker follicle stem cell niches: possible roles in regulating stem cell proliferation and migration. J Cell Sci. 2013;126:5111-5 pubmed publisher..Thus, the CD34-positive whisker follicle stem cell niche contains both tenascin-C and tenascin-W, and these glycoproteins might play a role in directing the migration and proliferation of these stem cells. ..
- Fletcher E, Villeneuve S, Maillard P, Harvey D, Reed B, Jagust W, et al. Î²-amyloid, hippocampal atrophy and their relation to longitudinal brain change in cognitively normal individuals. Neurobiol Aging. 2016;40:173-180 pubmed publisher..The results are broadly consistent with previous studies of the effects of amyloid and baseline hippocampal atrophy in normals, while pointing to accelerated atrophy of AD-vulnerable regions detectable at the preclinical stage. ..
- Liang X, Margolis K, Hendryx M, Reeves K, Wassertheil Smoller S, WEITLAUF J, et al. Effect of depression before breast cancer diagnosis on mortality among postmenopausal women. Cancer. 2017;123:3107-3115 pubmed publisher..Cancer 2017;123:3107-15. © 2017 American Cancer Society. ..
- Hess J, Casselman J, Kong A, Fitzgerald P. Primary sequence, secondary structure, gene structure, and assembly properties suggests that the lens-specific cytoskeletal protein filensin represents a novel class of intermediate filament protein. Exp Eye Res. 1998;66:625-44 pubmed
- Cardiff R, Wellings S. The comparative pathology of human and mouse mammary glands. J Mammary Gland Biol Neoplasia. 1999;4:105-22 pubmed..In this essay we review our experience with the histopathology of human and mouse mammary disease by comparing the normal gland with hyperplastic, dysplastic and neoplastic lesions of traditional and transgenic origin. ..
- Soucek K, Kamaid A, Phung A, Kubala L, Bulinski J, Harper R, et al. Normal and prostate cancer cells display distinct molecular profiles of alpha-tubulin posttranslational modifications. Prostate. 2006;66:954-65 pubmed..Whereas alpha-tubulin acetylation levels were generally equivalent in all the cell lines, PC3 cells did not display detectable levels of Ac-tubulin. These data may reveal novel biomarkers of prostate cancer and new therapeutic targets. ..
- Farber C, Medrano J. Dissection of a genetically complex cluster of growth and obesity QTLs on mouse chromosome 2 using subcongenic intercrosses. Mamm Genome. 2007;18:635-45 pubmed..These data represent a significant advancement toward the identification of mouse chromosome 2 growth and obesity quantitative trait genes...
- Park J, Bergman A, Linderholm L, Athanasiadou M, Kocan A, Petrik J, et al. Placental transfer of polychlorinated biphenyls, their hydroxylated metabolites and pentachlorophenol in pregnant women from eastern Slovakia. Chemosphere. 2008;70:1676-84 pubmed..These findings are consistent with their preferential binding to TTR that can cross the placenta. The cord to maternal ratio varies by congener (e.g., 4-OH-CB107=0.58, 4-OH-CB146=0.74, 3'-OH-CB138=1.01). ..
- Hilario J, Amitani I, Baskin R, Kowalczykowski S. Direct imaging of human Rad51 nucleoprotein dynamics on individual DNA molecules. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:361-8 pubmed publisher..Dissociation of Rad51 from dsDNA is slow and incomplete, thereby rationalizing the need for other proteins that facilitate disassembly. ..
- Borchers A, Naguwa S, Shoenfeld Y, Gershwin M. The geoepidemiology of systemic lupus erythematosus. Autoimmun Rev. 2010;9:A277-87 pubmed publisher..Genetic as well as environmental, sociodemographic and sociocultural factors are likely to contribute to the differences in the incidence and clinical expression of SLE. ..
- Waetjen L, Ye J, Feng W, Johnson W, Greendale G, Sampselle C, et al. Association between menopausal transition stages and developing urinary incontinence. Obstet Gynecol. 2009;114:989-98 pubmed publisher..To estimate whether menopause transition stage is independently associated with the development of incontinence symptoms...
- Yang F, Cui Y, Wang K, Zheng J. Thermosensitive TRP channel pore turret is part of the temperature activation pathway. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:7083-8 pubmed publisher..These observations suggest that the turret is part of the temperature-sensing apparatus in thermoTRP channels, and its conformational change may give rise to the large entropy that defines high temperature sensitivity. ..
- Qian Y, Jung Y, Chen X. DeltaNp63, a target of DEC1 and histone deacetylase 2, modulates the efficacy of histone deacetylase inhibitors in growth suppression and keratinocyte differentiation. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:12033-41 pubmed publisher..Together, we conclude that ?Np63 is a novel target of DEC1 and HDAC2 and modulates the efficacy of HDAC inhibitors in growth suppression and keratinocyte differentiation. ..
- Shaw J, Hunt P, Critchfield J, McConnell D, Garcia J, Pollard R, et al. Short communication: HIV+ viremic slow progressors maintain low regulatory T cell numbers in rectal mucosa but exhibit high T cell activation. AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses. 2013;29:172-7 pubmed publisher..These data reveal that the VSP phenotype is associated with elevated markers of mucosal immune activation and low numbers of mucosal Treg, suggesting that factors other than immune activation account for this phenotype. ..
- Medici V, Halsted C. Folate, alcohol, and liver disease. Mol Nutr Food Res. 2013;57:596-606 pubmed publisher..We also review the current evidence available on potential treatments of ALD based on correcting abnormalities in methionine metabolism and the methylation regulation of relevant gene expressions. ..
- Austin J, Jha A, Romano P, Singer S, Vogus T, Wachter R, et al. National hospital ratings systems share few common scores and may generate confusion instead of clarity. Health Aff (Millwood). 2015;34:423-30 pubmed publisher..The lack of agreement among the national hospital rating systems is likely explained by the fact that each system uses its own rating methods, has a different focus to its ratings, and stresses different measures of performance. ..
- Yokoyama J, Lee A, Takada L, Busovaca E, Bonham L, Chao S, et al. Apolipoprotein ε4 is associated with lower brain volume in cognitively normal Chinese but not white older adults. PLoS ONE. 2015;10:e0118338 pubmed publisher..This represents a novel finding that, if verified in larger studies, has implications for how biological, environmental and/or lifestyle factors may modify APOE ε4 effects on the brain in diverse populations. ..
- Cano Sancho G, Salmon A, La Merrill M. Association between Exposure to p,p'-DDT and Its Metabolite p,p'-DDE with Obesity: Integrated Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Environ Health Perspect. 2017;125:096002 pubmed publisher..Increasing evidence has associated obesity with persistent pollutants such as the pesticide DDT and its metabolite p,p'-DDE...
- Oleru U. Pulmonary impairment in a cotton textile factory in Nigeria: is lifetime alcohol intake with low cigarette smoking a confounding factor?. Arch Environ Health. 1987;42:197-203 pubmed..05 greater than p less than .005) higher alcohol intake than those in other symptom categories. These data suggest that alcohol intake is a probable confounder in the observed airway and PFT changes. ..
- Sekelsky J, Brodsky M, Rubin G, Hawley R. Drosophila and human RecQ5 exist in different isoforms generated by alternative splicing. Nucleic Acids Res. 1999;27:3762-9 pubmed..A combination of RACE and cDNA analysis of human RECQ5 demonstrates extensive alternative splicing for this gene also, including some forms lacking helicase motifs and other conserved regions. ..
- Caetano A, Lyons L, Laughlin T, O Brien S, Murray J, Bowling A. Equine synteny mapping of comparative anchor tagged sequences (CATS) from human Chromosome 5. Mamm Genome. 1999;10:1082-4 pubmed
- Suslow T, Wu J, Fett W, Harris L. Detection and elimination of Salmonella mbandaka from naturally contaminated alfalfa seed by treatment with heat or calcium hypochlorite. J Food Prot. 2002;65:452-8 pubmed..On the basis of these results, aqueous heat treatments alone do not appear to be a viable alternative to hyperchlorination as an effective method to eliminate Salmonella from alfalfa seed. ..
- Solnick J. Clinical significance of Helicobacter species other than Helicobacter pylori. Clin Infect Dis. 2003;36:349-54 pubmed
- Chakrabarty A, Beutner K. Therapy of other viral infections: herpes to hepatitis. Dermatol Ther. 2004;17:465-90 pubmed..Promotion of community awareness and the development of vaccines should be emphasized in the battle against these common viruses, particularly the herpes simplex viruses, the pox viruses, and hepatitis B. ..
- Marler P. Ethology and the origins of behavioral endocrinology. Horm Behav. 2005;47:493-502 pubmed..An earlier potent influence was Karl Lashley who helped to shape the career of Frank Ambrose Beach who, more than anyone, has played a leading role in launching this new field. ..
- Gandhi S, Gilbert W, McElvy S, El Kady D, Danielson B, Xing G, et al. Maternal and neonatal outcomes after attempted suicide. Obstet Gynecol. 2006;107:984-90 pubmed..The best identifier for women at risk for attempting suicide is substance abuse. Care provider identification and prevention are of key importance in preventing these outcomes. ..
- Woodroffe R, Donnelly C, Jenkins H, Johnston W, Cox D, Bourne F, et al. Culling and cattle controls influence tuberculosis risk for badgers. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:14713-7 pubmed..Our findings highlight the need for policymakers to consider multiple transmission routes when managing multihost pathogens...
- Chen J, Ahn K, Gee N, Gee S, Hammock B, Lasley B. Antiandrogenic properties of parabens and other phenolic containing small molecules in personal care products. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2007;221:278-84 pubmed..The data presented in this report demonstrate that some widely used antimicrobial compounds have antiandrogenic properties and warrant further investigation to fully understand their potential impact on human reproductive health. ..
- Plowright R, Field H, Smith C, Divljan A, Palmer C, Tabor G, et al. Reproduction and nutritional stress are risk factors for Hendra virus infection in little red flying foxes (Pteropus scapulatus). Proc Biol Sci. 2008;275:861-9 pubmed publisher..These insights into the ecology of HeV in flying fox populations suggest causal links between anthropogenic environmental change and HeV emergence...
- Green R. Indicators for assessing folate and vitamin B12 status and for monitoring the efficacy of intervention strategies. Food Nutr Bull. 2008;29:S52-63; discussion S64-6 pubmed..The general methods as well as their uses, indications, and limitations are presented. ..
- Erickson K, Hubbard N. Assessing mucosal immunity with new concepts and innovative, time-honored strategies. Nutr Rev. 2009;67 Suppl 2:S172-82 pubmed publisher..Reviewed here are components of the mucosal immune system with attention paid to the gut-associated lymphoid tissue and some of the new methods for assessing immune responses. ..
- Frietze S, O Geen H, Blahnik K, Jin V, Farnham P. ZNF274 recruits the histone methyltransferase SETDB1 to the 3' ends of ZNF genes. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e15082 pubmed publisher..These studies provide the first identification of a KRAB domain-containing ZNF that is involved in recruitment of the KAP1 and SETDB1 to specific regions of the human genome. ..
- Lit L, Sharp F, Bertoglio K, Stamova B, Ander B, Sossong A, et al. Gene expression in blood is associated with risperidone response in children with autism spectrum disorders. Pharmacogenomics J. 2012;12:368-71 pubmed publisher..Future studies will be needed to confirm these results and determine whether this expression profile is associated with risperidone response in other disorders, or alternative antipsychotic response within ASD. ..