Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on hiv 1 in Berkeley, California, United States
Locale: Berkeley, California, United States
Topic: hiv 1
- Urnovitz H, Murphy W. Human endogenous retroviruses: nature, occurrence, and clinical implications in human disease. Clin Microbiol Rev. 1996;9:72-99 pubmed..The current major needs are to improve methods for HERV detection, to identify the most appropriate HERV prototypes, and to develop diagnostic reagents so that the putative biologic and pathologic roles of HERVs can be better evaluated. ..
- Yang Z, Yik J, Chen R, He N, Jang M, Ozato K, et al. Recruitment of P-TEFb for stimulation of transcriptional elongation by the bromodomain protein Brd4. Mol Cell. 2005;19:535-45 pubmed..Brd4, HEXIM1, and 7SK are all implicated in regulating cell growth, which may result from their dynamic control of the general transcription factor P-TEFb. ..
- Chen D, Fong Y, Zhou Q. Specific interaction of Tat with the human but not rodent P-TEFb complex mediates the species-specific Tat activation of HIV-1 transcription. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1999;96:2728-33 pubmed..Moreover, the cyclin box of cyclin T1 and its immediate flanking region are largely responsible for the specific P-TEFb-Tat interaction. ..
- Chen D, Wang M, Zhou S, Zhou Q. HIV-1 Tat targets microtubules to induce apoptosis, a process promoted by the pro-apoptotic Bcl-2 relative Bim. EMBO J. 2002;21:6801-10 pubmed..Our findings reveal a strategy by which Tat induces apoptosis by targeting the microtubule network. Thus HIV-1 Tat joins a growing list of pathogen-derived proteins that target the cytoskeleton of host cells. ..
- Israel Ballard K, Ziermann R, Leutenegger C, Di Canzio J, Leung K, Strom L, et al. TaqMan RT-PCR and VERSANT HIV-1 RNA 3.0 (bDNA) assay Quantification of HIV-1 RNA viral load in breast milk. J Clin Virol. 2005;34:253-6 pubmed..0 and the TaqMan RNA assays. The two methods correlated well although the VERSANT HIV 3.0 research protocol quantified HIV-1 RNA slightly lower than TaqMan. ..
- Zhou Q, Chen D, Pierstorff E, Luo K. Transcription elongation factor P-TEFb mediates Tat activation of HIV-1 transcription at multiple stages. EMBO J. 1998;17:3681-91 pubmed..Our data indicate that the various subunits of the human P-TEFb complex may play distinct roles at multiple stages to mediate Tat activation of HIV-1 transcription elongation. ..
- Keck J, Goedken E, Marqusee S. Activation/attenuation model for RNase H. A one-metal mechanism with second-metal inhibition. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:34128-33 pubmed..Based upon these results, we propose an "activation/attenuation" model explaining the metal dependence of RNase H activity where one metal is required for enzyme activation and binding of a second metal is inhibitory. ..
- Chen D, Zhou Q. Tat activates human immunodeficiency virus type 1 transcriptional elongation independent of TFIIH kinase. Mol Cell Biol. 1999;19:2863-71 pubmed..Therefore, unlike the P-TEFb kinase activity that is essential for Tat activation of HIV-1 transcriptional elongation, the CAK kinase associated with TFIIH appears to be dispensable for Tat function. ..
- Fong Y, Zhou Q. Relief of two built-In autoinhibitory mechanisms in P-TEFb is required for assembly of a multicomponent transcription elongation complex at the human immunodeficiency virus type 1 promoter. Mol Cell Biol. 2000;20:5897-907 pubmed..These data reveal novel control mechanisms for the assembly of a multicomponent transcription elongation complex at the HIV-1 promoter. ..
- He N, Pezda A, Zhou Q. Modulation of a P-TEFb functional equilibrium for the global control of cell growth and differentiation. Mol Cell Biol. 2006;26:7068-76 pubmed..Concurrently, the P-TEFb equilibrium was shifted overwhelmingly toward the 7SK snRNP side. Together, these data link the P-TEFb equilibrium to the intracellular transcriptional demand and proliferative/differentiated states of cells. ..
- He N, Jahchan N, Hong E, Li Q, Bayfield M, Maraia R, et al. A La-related protein modulates 7SK snRNP integrity to suppress P-TEFb-dependent transcriptional elongation and tumorigenesis. Mol Cell. 2008;29:588-99 pubmed publisher..Through PIP7S modulation of P-TEFb, our data thus link a general elongation factor to growth control and tumorigenesis. ..
- He N, Liu M, Hsu J, Xue Y, Chou S, Burlingame A, et al. HIV-1 Tat and host AFF4 recruit two transcription elongation factors into a bifunctional complex for coordinated activation of HIV-1 transcription. Mol Cell. 2010;38:428-38 pubmed publisher..The ability of Tat to enable two different classes of elongation factors to cooperate and coordinate their actions on the same polymerase enzyme explains why Tat is such a powerful activator of HIV-1 transcription. ..