Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on dna damage in Davis, California, United States
Locale: Davis, California, United States
Topic: dna damage
- Bellone R, Liu J, Petersen J, Mack M, Singer Berk M, Drogemuller C, et al. A missense mutation in damage-specific DNA binding protein 2 is a genetic risk factor for limbal squamous cell carcinoma in horses. Int J Cancer. 2017;141:342-353 pubmed publisher..Cross-species comparison remains to be further evaluated. ..
- Lao J, Oh S, Shinohara M, Shinohara A, Hunter N. Rad52 promotes postinvasion steps of meiotic double-strand-break repair. Mol Cell. 2008;29:517-24 pubmed publisher..Our findings show that Rad52 functions in temporally and biochemically distinct reactions and suggest a general annealing mechanism for reuniting DSB ends during recombination. ..
- Scoumanne A, Chen X. The lysine-specific demethylase 1 is required for cell proliferation in both p53-dependent and -independent manners. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:15471-5 pubmed..Taken together, we uncovered that LSD1 has a pro-oncogenic function by modulating pro-survival gene expression and p53 transcriptional activity. ..
- Lin J, Singh R, Cox D. Theoretical study of DNA damage recognition via electron transfer from the [4Fe-4S] complex of MutY. Biophys J. 2008;95:3259-68 pubmed publisher..We suggest a scenario where the charge transfer leads to a stabilization of the specific binding conformation, which is likely the recognition mode, thus enabling it to find the damaged site efficiently. ..
- Nazarov I, Smirnova A, Krutilina R, Svetlova M, Solovjeva L, Nikiforov A, et al. Dephosphorylation of histone gamma-H2AX during repair of DNA double-strand breaks in mammalian cells and its inhibition by calyculin A. Radiat Res. 2003;160:309-17 pubmed..Our results confirm the tight association between DSBs and gamma-H2AX and the coupling of its in situ dephosphorylation to DSB repair. ..
- Preuss S, Britt A. A DNA-damage-induced cell cycle checkpoint in Arabidopsis. Genetics. 2003;164:323-34 pubmed
- Qian Y, Jung Y, Chen X. Differentiated embryo-chondrocyte expressed gene 1 regulates p53-dependent cell survival versus cell death through macrophage inhibitory cytokine-1. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012;109:11300-5 pubmed publisher..Together, we hypothesize that DEC1 controls the response of p53-dependent cell survival vs. cell death to a stress signal through MIC-1. ..
- Kantake N, Madiraju M, Sugiyama T, Kowalczykowski S. Escherichia coli RecO protein anneals ssDNA complexed with its cognate ssDNA-binding protein: A common step in genetic recombination. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2002;99:15327-32 pubmed..Based on the conservation of these functions, we propose a modified double-strand break repair model that includes DNA annealing as an important intermediate step. ..
- Fidantsef A, Mitchell D, Britt A. The Arabidopsis UVH1 gene is a homolog of the yeast repair endonuclease RAD1. Plant Physiol. 2000;124:579-86 pubmed..The complementation of the Arabidopsis uvh1 mutation with the Arabidopsis RAD1 homolog clearly demonstrates that the mechanism of nucleotide excision repair is conserved among the plant, animal, and fungal kingdoms. ..
- Zimmermann M, Arachchige Don A, Donaldson M, Dallapiazza R, Cowan C, Horne M. Elevated cyclin G2 expression intersects with DNA damage checkpoint signaling and is required for a potent G2/M checkpoint arrest response to doxorubicin. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:22838-53 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that CycG2 contributes to DNA damage-induced G(2)/M checkpoint by enforcing checkpoint inhibition of CycB1-Cdc2 complexes. ..
- Berger C, Qian Y, Liu G, Chen H, Chen X. p53, a target of estrogen receptor (ER) ?, modulates DNA damage-induced growth suppression in ER-positive breast cancer cells. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:30117-27 pubmed publisher..Altogether, this study provides an insight into a feedback loop between ER? and p53 and a biological role of p53 in the DNA damage response in ER-positive breast cancers. ..
- Yoshiyama K, Conklin P, Huefner N, Britt A. Suppressor of gamma response 1 (SOG1) encodes a putative transcription factor governing multiple responses to DNA damage. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:12843-8 pubmed publisher..We propose that, in plants, signals related to genomic stress are processed through a single, central transcription factor, SOG1. ..
- Banga S, Velazquez A, Boyd J. P transposition in Drosophila provides a new tool for analyzing postreplication repair and double-strand break repair. Mutat Res. 1991;255:79-88 pubmed..1990). Involvement of the mei-41 and mus302 genes in the repair of P element-induced double-strand breaks and postreplication repair points to a commonality in the mechanisms of these processes. ..
- Jensen R, Ozes A, Kim T, Estep A, Kowalczykowski S. BRCA2 is epistatic to the RAD51 paralogs in response to DNA damage. DNA Repair (Amst). 2013;12:306-11 pubmed publisher..The results indicate that loss of BRCA2 alone imparts a more severe phenotype than the loss of any individual RAD51 paralog and that BRCA2 is epistatic to each of the four paralogs tested. ..
- Qian Y, Chen X. ID1, inhibitor of differentiation/DNA binding, is an effector of the p53-dependent DNA damage response pathway. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:22410-6 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our study suggests that p53 trans-repressional activity can be mediated by its own target DEC1 and ID1 is an effector of the p53-dependent DNA damage response pathway. ..
- Herzberg K, Bashkirov V, Rolfsmeier M, Haghnazari E, McDonald W, Anderson S, et al. Phosphorylation of Rad55 on serines 2, 8, and 14 is required for efficient homologous recombination in the recovery of stalled replication forks. Mol Cell Biol. 2006;26:8396-409 pubmed..These results suggest that Rad55-S2,8,14 phosphorylation activates recombinational repair, allowing for faster recovery after genotoxic stress. ..
- Bashkirov V, Bashkirova E, Haghnazari E, Heyer W. Direct kinase-to-kinase signaling mediated by the FHA phosphoprotein recognition domain of the Dun1 DNA damage checkpoint kinase. Mol Cell Biol. 2003;23:1441-52 pubmed..We show that the Dun1 FHA domain is critical for direct kinase-to-kinase signaling from Rad53 to Dun1 in the DNA damage checkpoint pathway. ..
- Bashkirov V, Herzberg K, Haghnazari E, Vlasenko A, Heyer W. DNA damage-induced phosphorylation of Rad55 protein as a sentinel for DNA damage checkpoint activation in S. cerevisiae. Methods Enzymol. 2006;409:166-82 pubmed..We provide protocols to monitor the Rad55 phosphorylation status in vivo and assay Rad55-Rad57 phosphorylation in vitro using purified substrate with the Mec1 and Rad53 checkpoint kinases. ..
- Laurencon A, Purdy A, Sekelsky J, Hawley R, Su T. Phenotypic analysis of separation-of-function alleles of MEI-41, Drosophila ATM/ATR. Genetics. 2003;164:589-601 pubmed
- Qian Y, Zhang J, Yan B, Chen X. DEC1, a basic helix-loop-helix transcription factor and a novel target gene of the p53 family, mediates p53-dependent premature senescence. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:2896-905 pubmed..Finally, we showed that DEC1-induced senescence is p21-independent. Taken together, our data provided strong evidence that DEC1 is one of the effectors downstream of p53 to promote premature senescence. ..
- Scoumanne A, Cho S, Zhang J, Chen X. The cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitor p21 is regulated by RNA-binding protein PCBP4 via mRNA stability. Nucleic Acids Res. 2011;39:213-24 pubmed publisher..Taken together, we revealed that PCBP4 regulates both basal and stress-induced p21 expression through binding p21 3'-UTR and modulating p21 mRNA stability. ..
- Qian Y, Chen X. Senescence regulation by the p53 protein family. Methods Mol Biol. 2013;965:37-61 pubmed publisher..In this chapter, we provide an overview on how p53, p63, p73, and their isoforms regulate cellular senescence and aging. ..
- Bartosiewicz M, Penn S, Buckpitt A. Applications of gene arrays in environmental toxicology: fingerprints of gene regulation associated with cadmium chloride, benzo(a)pyrene, and trichloroethylene. Environ Health Perspect. 2001;109:71-4 pubmed
- Hawkes W, Printsev I, Alkan Z. Selenoprotein W depletion induces a p53- and p21-dependent delay in cell cycle progression in RWPE-1 prostate epithelial cells. J Cell Biochem. 2012;113:61-9 pubmed publisher..More research is required to identify the function of SEPW1 and how it affects stability of p53. ..
- Yeo J, Goodman R, Schirle N, David S, Beal P. RNA editing changes the lesion specificity for the DNA repair enzyme NEIL1. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:20715-9 pubmed publisher..As expected for an ADAR1 site, editing at this position is increased in human cells treated with interferon ?. These results suggest a unique regulatory mechanism for DNA repair and extend our understanding of the impact of RNA editing. ..
- Zhang Y, Qian Y, Lu W, Chen X. The G protein-coupled receptor 87 is necessary for p53-dependent cell survival in response to genotoxic stress. Cancer Res. 2009;69:6049-56 pubmed publisher..Thus, due to its expression on the cell surface and its role in cell survival, GPR87 may be explored as a novel therapeutic target for cancer treatment and prevention. ..
- Park S, Wang X, Liu R, Lam K, Weiss R. High throughput screening of a small molecule one-bead-one-compound combinatorial library to identify attenuators of p21 as chemotherapy sensitizers. Cancer Biol Ther. 2008;7:2015-22 pubmed..These compounds are currently being evaluated in in vivo assays as potential novel therapeutic for RCC. ..
- Zhang Y, Shu L, Chen X. Syntaxin 6, a regulator of the protein trafficking machinery and a target of the p53 family, is required for cell adhesion and survival. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:30689-98 pubmed publisher..Consistent with this observation, STX6 knockdown inhibits cell adhesion. Together, we postulate that STX6 is an effector and a modulator of the p53 family in the regulation of cell adhesion and survival. ..
- Ceballos S, Heyer W. Functions of the Snf2/Swi2 family Rad54 motor protein in homologous recombination. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2011;1809:509-23 pubmed publisher..We will discuss how these results relate to in vivo functions of Rad54 during homologous recombination in somatic cells and during meiosis. This article is part of a Special Issue entitled: Snf2/Swi2 ATPase structure and function. ..
- Sekelsky J, Burtis K, Hawley R. Damage control: the pleiotropy of DNA repair genes in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 1998;148:1587-98 pubmed
- Hari K, Santerre A, Sekelsky J, McKim K, Boyd J, Hawley R. The mei-41 gene of D. melanogaster is a structural and functional homolog of the human ataxia telangiectasia gene. Cell. 1995;82:815-21 pubmed..Thus, the mei-41 gene of Drosophila may be considered to be a functional homolog of the human ATM gene. ..
- Meeusen S, Tieu Q, Wong E, Weiss E, Schieltz D, Yates J, et al. Mgm101p is a novel component of the mitochondrial nucleoid that binds DNA and is required for the repair of oxidatively damaged mitochondrial DNA. J Cell Biol. 1999;145:291-304 pubmed..Thus, we propose that Mgm101p performs an essential function in the repair of oxidatively damaged mtDNA that is required for the maintenance of the mitochondrial genome. ..
- Hefner E, Huefner N, Britt A. Tissue-specific regulation of cell-cycle responses to DNA damage in Arabidopsis seedlings. DNA Repair (Amst). 2006;5:102-10 pubmed..We find that the ionizing radiation (IR)-induced cell-cycle responses observed in the root and shoot tip meristems do not apply to more differentiated tissues. ..
- Lin P, Fosmire S, Park S, Park J, Baksh S, Modiano J, et al. Attenuation of PTEN increases p21 stability and cytosolic localization in kidney cancer cells: a potential mechanism of apoptosis resistance. Mol Cancer. 2007;6:16 pubmed..This in turn raises the possibility to use p21 attenuators as chemotherapy sensitizers, an area under active continuing investigation in our laboratories. ..