Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on dna binding proteins in Irvine, California, United States
Locale: Irvine, California, United States
Topic: dna binding proteins
- Steffan J, Keys D, Vu L, Nomura M. Interaction of TATA-binding protein with upstream activation factor is required for activated transcription of ribosomal DNA by RNA polymerase I in Saccharomyces cerevisiae in vivo. Mol Cell Biol. 1998;18:3752-61 pubmed..These experiments demonstrate that the interaction of UAF with TBP, which is presumably achieved by the interaction of Rrn9p with TBP, is indeed important for high-level transcription of rDNA by RNA polymerase I in vivo. ..
- Wilson A, Tan M. Stress response gene regulation in Chlamydia is dependent on HrcA-CIRCE interactions. J Bacteriol. 2004;186:3384-91 pubmed..However, derepression is likely to involve more than a direct effect of increased temperature as we found that HrcA binding to CIRCE and HrcA-mediated repression were not altered at temperatures that induce the heat shock response...
- Kim E, Edmonston C, Wu X, Schaffer A, Casali P. The HoxC4 homeodomain protein mediates activation of the immunoglobulin heavy chain 3' hs1,2 enhancer in human B cells. Relevance to class switch DNA recombination. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:42258-69 pubmed..The hs1,2mediated enhancement of V(H) and C(H) promoter-driven transcription as induced by HoxC4 and Oct-1/Oct-2 suggests an important role of these homeodomain proteins in the overall regulation of the IgH locus expression. ..
- Saleh A, Nguyen V, Krolewski J. Affinity of Stat2 for the subunits of the interferon alpha receptor. Biochemistry. 2002;41:11261-8 pubmed..The relevance of these data to possible models of interferon alpha signal transduction is discussed. ..
- Li B, Dai Q, Li L, Nair M, Mackay D, Dai X. Ovol2, a mammalian homolog of Drosophila ovo: gene structure, chromosomal mapping, and aberrant expression in blind-sterile mice. Genomics. 2002;80:319-25 pubmed..No mutation has been detected in the coding region of Ovol2 from bs mice, but Ovol2 transcription was dramatically reduced in testes from these mice, suggesting that Ovol2 is expressed in male germ cells. ..
- Ball A, Schmiesing J, Zhou C, Gregson H, Okada Y, Doi T, et al. Identification of a chromosome-targeting domain in the human condensin subunit CNAP1/hCAP-D2/Eg7. Mol Cell Biol. 2002;22:5769-81 pubmed..Thus, the CNAP1 C-terminal region defines a novel histone-binding domain that is responsible for targeting CNAP1, and possibly condensin, to mitotic chromosomes. ..
- Parekh B, Sheridan S, Hatfield G. Effects of integration host factor and DNA supercoiling on transcription from the ilvPG promoter of Escherichia coli. J Biol Chem. 1996;271:20258-64 pubmed..Therefore, IHF binding does not activate transcription simply by increasing the local negative supercoiling of the DNA helix in the downstream promoter region or by differential binding to relaxed and supercoiled DNA templates. ..
- Furuta S, Wang J, Wei S, Jeng Y, Jiang X, Gu B, et al. Removal of BRCA1/CtIP/ZBRK1 repressor complex on ANG1 promoter leads to accelerated mammary tumor growth contributed by prominent vasculature. Cancer Cell. 2006;10:13-24 pubmed..These results suggest that, besides its role in maintaining genomic stability, BRCA1 directly regulates the expression of angiogenic factors to modulate the tumor microenvironment. ..
- Hovanes K, Li T, Munguia J, Truong T, Milovanovic T, Lawrence Marsh J, et al. Beta-catenin-sensitive isoforms of lymphoid enhancer factor-1 are selectively expressed in colon cancer. Nat Genet. 2001;28:53-7 pubmed
- Gruber J, Genissel A, Macdonald S, Long A. How repeatable are associations between polymorphisms in achaete-scute and bristle number variation in Drosophila?. Genetics. 2007;175:1987-97 pubmed..Nevertheless, inconsistent results from the other three panels suggest that the relationship between polymorphic genetic markers and loci contributing to continuous variation is not a simple one. ..
- Prieve M, Guttridge K, Munguia J, Waterman M. Differential importin-alpha recognition and nuclear transport by nuclear localization signals within the high-mobility-group DNA binding domains of lymphoid enhancer factor 1 and T-cell factor 1. Mol Cell Biol. 1998;18:4819-32 pubmed..GFP-LEF-1 readily localizes to the nucleus, whereas GFP-TCF-1 remains in the cytoplasm. Thus, LEF-1 and TCF-1 differ in several aspects of nuclear localization. ..
- Rhee K, Parekh B, Hatfield G. Leucine-responsive regulatory protein-DNA interactions in the leader region of the ilvGMEDA operon of Escherichia coli. J Biol Chem. 1996;271:26499-507 pubmed..No transcriptional effects are observed, in vivo or in vitro, in the absence of an intact Lrp primary binding site. A possible physiological role for Lrp in the regulation of ilvGMEDA operon expression is discussed. ..
- Leung L, Kwong M, Hou S, Lee C, Chan J. Deficiency of the Nrf1 and Nrf2 transcription factors results in early embryonic lethality and severe oxidative stress. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:48021-9 pubmed..Together, these findings indicate that the functions of Nrf1 and Nrf2 overlap during early development and to a large extent in regulating antioxidant gene expression in cells. ..
- Keener J, Josaitis C, Dodd J, Nomura M. Reconstitution of yeast RNA polymerase I transcription in vitro from purified components. TATA-binding protein is not required for basal transcription. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:33795-802 pubmed..The role of TBP in pol I transcription is fundamentally different from its role in pol II or pol III transcription. ..
- Rosenfeld J, Osborne T. HLH106, a Drosophila sterol regulatory element-binding protein in a natural cholesterol auxotroph. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:16112-21 pubmed..This is notable, since insects are reportedly incapable of de novo sterol biosynthesis. ..
- Kudryavtseva E, Sugihara T, Wang N, Lasso R, Gudnason J, Lipkin S, et al. Identification and characterization of Grainyhead-like epithelial transactivator (GET-1), a novel mammalian Grainyhead-like factor. Dev Dyn. 2003;226:604-17 pubmed..These data suggest that GET-1 is a transcriptional regulator that may perform important functions in epithelial tissues of mammals. ..
- Murray R, Navi D, Fesenko J, Lander A, Calof A. Widespread defects in the primary olfactory pathway caused by loss of Mash1 function. J Neurosci. 2003;23:1769-80 pubmed
- Zan H, Casali P. AID- and Ung-dependent generation of staggered double-strand DNA breaks in immunoglobulin class switch DNA recombination: a post-cleavage role for AID. Mol Immunol. 2008;46:45-61 pubmed publisher..Thus, AID and Ung generate staggered DSBs not only by cleaving intact double-strand DNA, but also by processing blunt DSB ends, whose generation is AID- and Ung-independent, thereby outlining a post-cleavage role for AID in CSR. ..
- Su N, Ouni I, Papagiannis C, Kaiser P. A dominant suppressor mutation of the met30 cell cycle defect suggests regulation of the Saccharomyces cerevisiae Met4-Cbf1 transcription complex by Met32. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:11615-24 pubmed publisher..These results suggest a regulatory role of Met32 as part of the Cbf1-Met4 complex and provide molecular insight into coordination of cell cycle response and modulation of gene expression programs. ..
- Bennett M, Ngo T, Athanikar J, Rosenfeld J, Osborne T. Co-stimulation of promoter for low density lipoprotein receptor gene by sterol regulatory element-binding protein and Sp1 is specifically disrupted by the yin yang 1 protein. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:13025-32 pubmed
- Oakes M, Siddiqi I, Vu L, Aris J, Nomura M. Transcription factor UAF, expansion and contraction of ribosomal DNA (rDNA) repeats, and RNA polymerase switch in transcription of yeast rDNA. Mol Cell Biol. 1999;19:8559-69 pubmed..We discuss the significance of these observations in relation to the plasticity of rDNA tandem repeats and nucleolar structures as well as evolution of the Pol I machinery. ..
- Yieh L, Kassavetis G, Geiduschek E, Sandmeyer S. The Brf and TATA-binding protein subunits of the RNA polymerase III transcription factor IIIB mediate position-specific integration of the gypsy-like element, Ty3. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:29800-7 pubmed..These findings suggest that the minimal requirements for pol III transcription and Ty3 integration are very similar. ..
- Nguyen V, Saleh A, Arch A, Yan H, Piazza F, Kim J, et al. Stat2 binding to the interferon-alpha receptor 2 subunit is not required for interferon-alpha signaling. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:9713-21 pubmed
- Ring C, Ogata S, Meek L, Song J, Ohta T, Miyazono K, et al. The role of a Williams-Beuren syndrome-associated helix-loop-helix domain-containing transcription factor in activin/nodal signaling. Genes Dev. 2002;16:820-35 pubmed
- Edwards R, Witherspoon M, Wang K, Afrasiabi K, Pham T, Birnbaumer L, et al. Epigenetic repression of DNA mismatch repair by inflammation and hypoxia in inflammatory bowel disease-associated colorectal cancer. Cancer Res. 2009;69:6423-9 pubmed publisher..These data link chronic hypoxic inflammation, epigenetic MMR protein down-regulation, development of MMR-deficient colorectal cancer, and the firstmouse model of somatically acquired MMR-deficient colorectal cancer. ..
- Shin D, Osborne T. Thyroid hormone regulation and cholesterol metabolism are connected through Sterol Regulatory Element-Binding Protein-2 (SREBP-2). J Biol Chem. 2003;278:34114-8 pubmed..Additionally, these results indicate that mutations or drugs that lower nuclear SREBP-2 would cause hypercholesterolemia. ..
- Walter B, Parsley T, Ehrenfeld E, Semler B. Distinct poly(rC) binding protein KH domain determinants for poliovirus translation initiation and viral RNA replication. J Virol. 2002;76:12008-22 pubmed..Our data have implications for differential picornavirus template utilization during viral translation and RNA replication and suggest that specific PCBP2 domains may have distinct roles in these activities. ..
- Wai H, Johzuka K, Vu L, Eliason K, Kobayashi T, Horiuchi T, et al. Yeast RNA polymerase I enhancer is dispensable for transcription of the chromosomal rRNA gene and cell growth, and its apparent transcription enhancement from ectopic promoters requires Fob1 protein. Mol Cell Biol. 2001;21:5541-53 pubmed..We suggest that Fob1 protein stimulates interactions between rDNA repeats through the enhancer region, thus helping ectopic rDNA promoters to recruit the Pol I machinery normally present in the nucleolus. ..
- Kasravi A, Walter M, Brand S, Mason J, Biessmann H. Molecular cloning and tissue-specific expression of the mutator2 gene (mu2) in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 1999;152:1025-35 pubmed..The MU2 protein may be involved in controlling chromatin structure and thus may influence the processing of DNA DSBs. ..
- Kleeff J, Maruyama H, Ishiwata T, Sawhney H, Friess H, Buchler M, et al. Bone morphogenetic protein 2 exerts diverse effects on cell growth in vitro and is expressed in human pancreatic cancer in vivo. Gastroenterology. 1999;116:1202-16 pubmed..These findings indicate that BMP-2 has the capacity to act as a mitogen when Smad4 is mutated and suggest that it might play a role in the pathobiology of human pancreatic cancer. ..
- Brummel T, Abdollah S, Haerry T, Shimell M, Merriam J, Raftery L, et al. The Drosophila activin receptor baboon signals through dSmad2 and controls cell proliferation but not patterning during larval development. Genes Dev. 1999;13:98-111 pubmed..Our results define a novel Drosophila Activin/TGF-beta pathway that is analogous to its vertebrate counterpart and show that this pathway functions to promote cellular growth with minimal effects on patterning. ..
- Graff J, Cha J, Blyn L, Ehrenfeld E. Interaction of poly(rC) binding protein 2 with the 5' noncoding region of hepatitis A virus RNA and its effects on translation. J Virol. 1998;72:9668-75 pubmed..Removal of the 5'-terminal 138 nucleotides of the HAV RNA, or removal of the entire IRES, eliminated the dependence of HAV RNA translation on PCBP2. ..
- Lalo D, Steffan J, Dodd J, Nomura M. RRN11 encodes the third subunit of the complex containing Rrn6p and Rrn7p that is essential for the initiation of rDNA transcription by yeast RNA polymerase I. J Biol Chem. 1996;271:21062-7 pubmed..No significant similarity was detected between two sets of the proteins. Similarity as well as differences between CF and SL1 are discussed. ..