Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on child in Palo Alto, California, United States
Locale: Palo Alto, California, United States
Publications115 found, 100 shown here
- Liu M, Tacy T, Chin C, Obayashi D, Punn R. Assessment of Speckle-Tracking Echocardiography-Derived Global Deformation Parameters During Supine Exercise in Children. Pediatr Cardiol. 2016;37:519-27 pubmed publisher..Improvements in technique and higher image frame rates could make application of STE to pediatric cardiopulmonary testing more successful in the future. ..
- Aran A, Lin L, Nevsimalova S, Plazzi G, Hong S, Weiner K, et al. Elevated anti-streptococcal antibodies in patients with recent narcolepsy onset. Sleep. 2009;32:979-83 pubmed..0 [OR = 4.8], P < 0.0005]. CRP (mean values) and Anti Hp IgG (% positive) did not differ from controls. Streptococcal infections are probably a significant environmental trigger for narcolepsy. ..
- Andrews J, Ben Shachar M, Yeatman J, Flom L, Luna B, Feldman H. Reading performance correlates with white-matter properties in preterm and term children. Dev Med Child Neurol. 2010;52:e94-100 pubmed publisher..095). We conclude that perinatal white-matter injury of the central corpus callosum may have long-term developmental implications for reading performance. ..
- Czechowicz J, Huaman J, Forshey B, Morrison A, Castillo R, Huaman A, et al. Prevalence and risk factors for encephalomyocarditis virus infection in Peru. Vector Borne Zoonotic Dis. 2011;11:367-74 pubmed publisher..0% positive). Further studies are necessary to more precisely delineate the mode of EMCV transmission to humans, other potential disease manifestations, and the economic impact of EMCV transmission among swine in Peru. ..
- Milla C, Zirbes J. Pulmonary complications of endocrine and metabolic disorders. Paediatr Respir Rev. 2012;13:23-8 pubmed publisher..Metabolic storage disorders, primarily as a consequence of lysosomal dysfunction from enzymatic deficiencies, constitute a diverse group of rare conditions that can have profound effects on the respiratory system. ..
- Campen C, Dearlove J, Partap S, Murphy P, Gibbs I, Dahl G, et al. Concurrent cyclophosphamide and craniospinal radiotherapy for pediatric high-risk embryonal brain tumors. J Neurooncol. 2012;110:287-91 pubmed publisher..In high-risk embryonal CNS tumors, cyclophosphamide given concurrently with CSI is well tolerated. Early results suggest that a phase II trial is warranted. ..
- Malhotra S, Kushida C. Primary hypersomnias of central origin. Continuum (Minneap Minn). 2013;19:67-85 pubmed publisher..Where possible, clinical cases that highlight and explain the clinical syndromes are included. Treatment modalities and future directions are also discussed to help the clinician identify and treat the underlying disorder. ..
- Ceresnak S, Perera J, Motonaga K, Avasarala K, Malloy Walton L, Hanisch D, et al. Ventricular lead redundancy to prevent cardiovascular events and sudden death from lead fracture in pacemaker-dependent children. Heart Rhythm. 2015;12:111-6 pubmed publisher..RVLS systems should be considered in children who are PMD and require permanent epicardial pacing. BiV pacing and RVLS may decrease the risk of CVE in the event of lead failure in PMD patients. ..
- Pappas A, Shankaran S, McDonald S, Vohr B, Hintz S, Ehrenkranz R, et al. Cognitive outcomes after neonatal encephalopathy. Pediatrics. 2015;135:e624-34 pubmed publisher..Cognitive impairment remains an important concern for all children with neonatal encephalopathy. ..
- Stein M, Dao D, Doan L, Reinhartz O, Maeda K, Hollander S, et al. Ventricular assist devices in a contemporary pediatric cohort: Morbidity, functional recovery, and survival. J Heart Lung Transplant. 2016;35:92-8 pubmed publisher..However, a clinically significant risk of morbidity and mortality persists for the duration of pediatric VAD support. Measures of functional status improve with duration of support and are associated with survival to transplantation. ..
- Punn R, Hanisch D, Motonaga K, Rosenthal D, Ceresnak S, Dubin A. A Pilot Study Assessing ECG versus ECHO Ventriculoventricular Optimization in Pediatric Resynchronization Patients. J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol. 2016;27:210-6 pubmed publisher..No other outcome differed between groups. ECHO optimization of synchrony was not superior to ECG optimization in this pilot study. ECG optimization required less time and cost than ECHO optimization. ..
- Baruteau A, Perry J, Sanatani S, Horie M, Dubin A. Evaluation and management of bradycardia in neonates and children. Eur J Pediatr. 2016;175:151-61 pubmed publisher..Early diagnosis and appropriate management are critical in order to prevent sudden death. ..
- Okun M, Lin L, Pelin Z, Hong S, Mignot E. Clinical aspects of narcolepsy-cataplexy across ethnic groups. Sleep. 2002;25:27-35 pubmed..These results confirm the similarities in clinical presentation and natural history of narcolepsy-cataplexy in a large number of patients of various ethnic groups and cultural backgrounds. ..
- Arnulf I, Zeitzer J, File J, Farber N, Mignot E. Kleine-Levin syndrome: a systematic review of 186 cases in the literature. Brain. 2005;128:2763-76 pubmed..In conclusion, KLS is a unique disease which may be more severe in female and secondary cases. ..
- Bernstein D, Naftel D, Chin C, Addonizio L, Gamberg P, Blume E, et al. Outcome of listing for cardiac transplantation for failed Fontan: a multi-institutional study. Circulation. 2006;114:273-80 pubmed..Although early posttransplantation survival is slightly lower than other patients with CHD, long-term results are encouraging, and protein-losing enteropathy can be expected to resolve. ..
- Sutherland S, Hong D, Balagtas J, Gutierrez K, Dvorak C, Sarwal M. Liposomal amphotericin B associated with severe hyperphosphatemia. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2008;27:77-9 pubmed..Resolution of the hyperphosphatemia occurred after transition to amphotericin B lipid complex. This phenomenon may occur more commonly in patients with mild to moderate renal insufficiency. ..
- Black S, Friedland L, Ensor K, Weston W, Howe B, Klein N. Diphtheria-tetanus-acellular pertussis and inactivated poliovirus vaccines given separately or combined for booster dosing at 4-6 years of age. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2008;27:341-6 pubmed publisher..A combined DTaP-IPV vaccine is being developed, which would reduce by one the number of injections in this age group...
- Small K, DeLuca A, Whitmore S, Rosenberg T, Silva Garcia R, Udar N, et al. North Carolina Macular Dystrophy Is Caused by Dysregulation of the Retinal Transcription Factor PRDM13. Ophthalmology. 2016;123:9-18 pubmed publisher..Four of these strongly implicate the involvement of PRDM13 in macular development, whereas the pathophysiologic mechanism of the fifth remains unknown but may involve the developmental dysregulation of IRX1. ..
- Esquivel M, Chen J, Woo R, Siegler N, Maldonado Sifuentes F, Carlos Ochoa J, et al. Why do patients receive care from a short-term medical mission? Survey study from rural Guatemala. J Surg Res. 2017;215:160-166 pubmed publisher..Our results highlight that although other surgical options may be closer and more readily available, reputation and cost play a large role in choice of patients seeking care. ..
- Tanna P, Kasilian M, Strauss R, Tee J, Kalitzeos A, Tarima S, et al. Reliability and Repeatability of Cone Density Measurements in Patients With Stargardt Disease and RPGR-Associated Retinopathy. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2017;58:3608-3615 pubmed publisher..However, it appears that these indices may be disease dependent, implying the need for similar investigations in other conditions. ..
- Feldman H, Blum N, Gahman A, Shults J. Diagnosis of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder by developmental pediatricians in academic centers: A DBPNet study. Acad Pediatr. 2015;15:282-8 pubmed publisher..They typically identified coexisting developmental and learning conditions. They did not typically prescribe medication at the end of diagnostic encounters. ..
- Fernandez F, Garner C. Over-inhibition: a model for developmental intellectual disability. Trends Neurosci. 2007;30:497-503 pubmed..We further discuss possibilities for pharmacological intervention in DID, focusing on the concept of drug-induced 'therapeutic neuroadaptation' as a means of stably enhancing constitutive circuit excitability and cognition over time. ..
- Mark J. Integrative medicine and asthma. Pediatr Clin North Am. 2007;54:1007-23; xii pubmed
- Chen J, Gittleman A, Barnes P, Chang K. Utility of temporal bone computed tomographic measurements in the evaluation of inner ear malformations. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2008;134:50-6 pubmed publisher..However, use of inner ear measurements is more sensitive in identifying vestibulocochlear dysplasias and should be considered to complement visual analysis. ..
- Loe I, Feldman H, Yasui E, Luna B. Oculomotor performance identifies underlying cognitive deficits in attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2009;48:431-40 pubmed publisher..These findings highlight the importance of considering cognitive processing components affected by ADHD in addition to core behavioral symptoms, particularly in designing new treatment strategies. ..
- Parvizi J, Le S, Foster B, Bourgeois B, Riviello J, Prenger E, et al. Gelastic epilepsy and hypothalamic hamartomas: neuroanatomical analysis of brain lesions in 100 patients. Brain. 2011;134:2960-8 pubmed publisher..In contrast, patients with cognitive or developmental impairment and those with precocious puberty had significantly larger lesions involving the anterior and posterior hypothalamus. ..
- Travis K, Leitner Y, Ben Shachar M, Yeom K, Feldman H. Case Series: Fractional Anisotropy Profiles of the Cerebellar Peduncles in Adolescents Born Preterm With Ventricular Dilation. J Child Neurol. 2016;31:321-7 pubmed publisher..Findings demonstrate that differences in cerebellar white matter microstructure can be detected in the absence of macrostructural cerebellar abnormalities. ..
- Tom W, Van Syoc M, Chanda S, Zane L. Pharmacokinetic Profile, Safety, and Tolerability of Crisaborole Topical Ointment, 2% in Adolescents with Atopic Dermatitis: An Open-Label Phase 2a Study. Pediatr Dermatol. 2016;33:150-9 pubmed publisher..Mean treatable BSA declined from 17.6% to 8.2%. These results provide preliminary evidence for the limited systemic exposure, safety, and effectiveness of crisaborole topical ointment, 2% in adolescents with mild to moderate AD. ..
- Baird J, Davies B, Hinds P, Baggott C, Rehm R. What impact do hospital and unit-based rules have upon patient and family-centered care in the pediatric intensive care unit?. J Pediatr Nurs. 2015;30:133-42 pubmed publisher..The rules also placed the registered nurse in the challenging position of serving as rule enforcer and facilitator of PFCC. Further work is needed to explore how to adapt the hospital environment to better meet families' needs. ..
- Di Giulio D, Eckburg P. Human monkeypox: an emerging zoonosis. Lancet Infect Dis. 2004;4:15-25 pubmed..There is currently no proven treatment for human monkeypox, and questions about its potential as an agent of bioterrorism persist. ..
- Ferrari A, Chi Y, De Salvo G, Orbach D, Brennan B, Randall R, et al. Surgery alone is sufficient therapy for children and adolescents with low-risk synovial sarcoma: A joint analysis from the European paediatric soft tissue sarcoma Study Group and the Children's Oncology Group. Eur J Cancer. 2017;78:1-6 pubmed publisher..Avoiding the use of adjuvant chemotherapy and radiotherapy in this low-risk patient population may decrease both short- and long-term morbidity and mortality. ..
- Danial C, Tichy A, Tariq U, Swetman G, Khuu P, Leung T, et al. An open-label study to evaluate sildenafil for the treatment of lymphatic malformations. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2014;70:1050-7 pubmed publisher..Adverse events were minimal. A randomized controlled trial will be necessary to verify the effects of sildenafil on lymphatic malformations. Sildenafil can reduce lymphatic malformation volume and symptoms in some children. ..
- Ceresnak S, Doan L, Motonaga K, Avasarala K, Trela A, Reddy C, et al. 50 is the new 70: Short ventriculoatrial times are common in children with atrioventricular reciprocating tachycardia. Heart Rhythm. 2015;12:1541-7 pubmed publisher..This finding debunks the classic electrophysiology principle that VA times in AVRT must be >70 ms. SHORT-VA AVRT was more common in children with left-sided APs. ..
- Qin F, Barry P, Pascopella L. Factors associated with extended treatment among tuberculosis patients at risk of relapse in California. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2016;20:363-9 pubmed publisher..03-2.38). Nearly a quarter of TB patients at high risk of relapse did not receive extended treatment. Increased efforts are needed to ensure that all patients who may benefit from extended anti-tuberculosis treatment receive it. ..
- Hanisch D. Pediatric arrhythmias. J Pediatr Nurs. 2001;16:351-62 pubmed..The electrocardiographic characteristics, electrophysiological mechanisms, clinical presentation, and current acute and chronic management options for each are described. ..
- Feldman H. Using the language characteristics of clinical populations to understand normal language development. Pediatr Clin North Am. 2007;54:585-607, viii pubmed
- Lee B, Diaz G, Rhead W, Lichter Konecki U, Feigenbaum A, Berry S, et al. Glutamine and hyperammonemic crises in patients with urea cycle disorders. Mol Genet Metab. 2016;117:27-32 pubmed publisher..62; p=0.0011). The findings in this UCD population suggest that glutamine is a weaker predictor of HACs than ammonia and that the utility of the predictive value of glutamine will need to take into account concurrent ammonia levels. ..
- Moss R, Carmack M, Esrig S. Deficiency of IgG4 in children: association of isolated IgG4 deficiency with recurrent respiratory tract infection. J Pediatr. 1992;120:16-21 pubmed..This association suggests a physiologic defense role for mucosal IgG4. ..
- Cooper D, Basu R, Price J, Goldstein S, Krawczeski C. The Kidney in Critical Cardiac Disease: Proceedings From the 10th International Conference of the Pediatric Cardiac Intensive Care Society. World J Pediatr Congenit Heart Surg. 2016;7:152-63 pubmed publisher..Previous conventional wisdom that survivors of AKI fully recover renal function without subsequent consequences may be flawed. ..
- Omokawa M, Ayabe T, Nagai T, Imanishi A, Omokawa A, Nishino S, et al. Decline of CSF orexin (hypocretin) levels in Prader-Willi syndrome. Am J Med Genet A. 2016;170A:1181-6 pubmed publisher..Decreased cerebrospinal fluid orexin levels in Prader-Willi syndrome may play an important role in severity of obesity and excessive daytime sleepiness. ..
- Luna Fineman S, Barnoya M, Bonilla M, Fu L, Baez F, Rodriguez Galindo C. Retinoblastoma in Central America: report from the Central American Association of Pediatric Hematology Oncology (AHOPCA). Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2012;58:545-50 pubmed publisher..Central American Association of Pediatric Hematology Oncology (AHOPCA) aimed to standardize the approach and to improve outcomes of patients with retinoblastoma...
- Santoro J, Nespor C, Poole R, Kerner J. Iodine Supplementation for Pediatric Patients Receiving Long-Term Parenteral Nutrition. Nutr Clin Pract. 2016;31:245-9 pubmed publisher..There were no incidences of abnormal iodine levels in our cohort. Our study suggests that pediatric patients older than 6 months receiving PN may not benefit from iodine supplementation, but further investigation is needed. ..
- Czosek R, Cassedy A, Wray J, Wernovsky G, Newburger J, Mussatto K, et al. Quality of life in pediatric patients affected by electrophysiologic disease. Heart Rhythm. 2015;12:899-908 pubmed publisher..001). Given the significant variation in QOL in EP disease type, stratification by EP disease type and increased medical care utilization may allow for targeted interventions to improve QOL. ..
- Plawner L, Delgado M, Miller V, Levey E, Kinsman S, Barkovich A, et al. Neuroanatomy of holoprosencephaly as predictor of function: beyond the face predicting the brain. Neurology. 2002;59:1058-66 pubmed..Despite advances in neuroimaging and molecular genetics of holoprosencephaly (HPE), the clinical spectrum of HPE has remained inadequately described...
- Nishino S, Kanbayashi T. Symptomatic narcolepsy, cataplexy and hypersomnia, and their implications in the hypothalamic hypocretin/orexin system. Sleep Med Rev. 2005;9:269-310 pubmed..It appears that further studies of the involvement of the hypocretin system in symptomatic narcolepsy and EDS are helpful to understand the pathophysiological mechanisms for the occurrence of EDS and cataplexy...
- Le Carlson M, Seki S, Abarbanel D, Quiros A, Cox K, Nadeau K. Markers of antigen presentation and activation on eosinophils and T cells in the esophageal tissue of patients with eosinophilic esophagitis. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2013;56:257-62 pubmed publisher..The number of double-stained cells was higher in EoE in comparison to control groups. These data support the hypothesis that eosinophils in EoE may act as APCs, activating T cells. ..
- Balaker A, Roberson J, Goldsztein H. Fibrous incudostapedial joint in congenital aural atresia. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2014;150:673-6 pubmed publisher..1) Determine the prevalence of a non-bony or fibrous incudostapedial (IS) joint in the setting of congenital aural atresia. (2) Assess this anomaly's impact on surgical management and associated hearing outcomes...
- Burgis J, Nguyen K, Park K, Cox K. Response to strict and liberalized specific carbohydrate diet in pediatric Crohn's disease. World J Gastroenterol. 2016;22:2111-7 pubmed publisher..Disease control may be attainable with the SCD in pediatric CD. Further studies are needed to assess adherence, impact on mucosal healing and growth. ..
- Sudan M, Arah O, Becker T, Levy Y, Sigsgaard T, Olsen J, et al. Re-examining the association between residential exposure to magnetic fields from power lines and childhood asthma in the Danish National Birth Cohort. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0177651 pubmed publisher..This interpretation is in line with the lack of an established biological mechanism directly linking MF exposure to asthma, but high exposure was very rare in this cohort. ..
- Berg A, Coryell J, Saneto R, Grinspan Z, Alexander J, Kekis M, et al. Early-Life Epilepsies and the Emerging Role of Genetic Testing. JAMA Pediatr. 2017;171:863-871 pubmed publisher..Early-life epilepsies are often a consequence of numerous neurodevelopmental disorders, most of which are proving to have genetic origins. The role of genetic testing in the initial evaluation of these epilepsies is not established...
- Yeung J, Balakrishnan K, Cheng A, Daniel S, Garabedian E, Hart C, et al. International Pediatric Otolaryngology Group: Consensus guidelines on the diagnosis and management of type I laryngeal clefts. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2017;101:51-56 pubmed publisher..Using existing peer-reviewed literature to develop an expert-based consensus will help guide physicians in the treatment of these patients as well as develop research hypotheses to further study this condition...
- Vable A, Gilsanz P, Nguyen T, Kawachi I, Glymour M. Validation of a theoretically motivated approach to measuring childhood socioeconomic circumstances in the Health and Retirement Study. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0185898 pubmed publisher..8,248). Adopting this type of theoretically motivated operationalization of cSES may strengthen the quality of research on the effects of cSES on health outcomes...
- Haas B, Barnea Goraly N, Lightbody A, Patnaik S, Hoeft F, Hazlett H, et al. Early white-matter abnormalities of the ventral frontostriatal pathway in fragile X syndrome. Dev Med Child Neurol. 2009;51:593-9 pubmed publisher..The results also point to an early neurobiological marker for an important component of cognitive dysfunction associated with fragile X syndrome. ..
- Bray S, Dunkin B, Hong D, Reiss A. Reduced functional connectivity during working memory in Turner syndrome. Cereb Cortex. 2011;21:2471-81 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that structural brain abnormalities in TS affect not only regional activity but also the functional interactions between regions and that this has important consequences for behavior...
- Myall N, Yeom K, Yeatman J, Gaman Bean S, Feldman H. Case series: fractional anisotropy along the trajectory of selected white matter tracts in adolescents born preterm with ventricular dilation. J Child Neurol. 2013;28:774-80 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest increased axonal packing density and straightening of fibers secondary to ventricular enlargement. ..
- Robinson T, Matheson D, Desai M, Wilson D, Weintraub D, Haskell W, et al. Family, community and clinic collaboration to treat overweight and obese children: Stanford GOALS-A randomized controlled trial of a three-year, multi-component, multi-level, multi-setting intervention. Contemp Clin Trials. 2013;36:421-35 pubmed publisher..The Stanford GOALS trial is testing the efficacy of a novel community-based multi-component, multi-level, multi-setting treatment for childhood overweight and obesity in low-income, Latino families. ..
- Aldiss S, Baggott C, Gibson F, Mobbs S, Taylor R. A critical review of the use of technology to provide psychosocial support for children and young people with long-term conditions. J Pediatr Nurs. 2015;30:87-101 pubmed publisher..The poor methodological quality of current evidence and lack of involvement of users in product development contribute to the uncertainty that supportive technology is beneficial. ..
- Passemard S, Verloes A, Billette De Villemeur T, Boespflug Tanguy O, Hernandez K, Laurent M, et al. Abnormal spindle-like microcephaly-associated (ASPM) mutations strongly disrupt neocortical structure but spare the hippocampus and long-term memory. Cortex. 2016;74:158-76 pubmed publisher..The precise characterization of the cortical map and cognitive abilities of patients with ASPM mutations should allow developing more focused reeducative interventions well-suited to their real abilities. ..
- Pera M, Coratti G, Forcina N, Mazzone E, Scoto M, Montes J, et al. Content validity and clinical meaningfulness of the HFMSE in spinal muscular atrophy. BMC Neurol. 2017;17:39 pubmed publisher..Our findings support the use of the HFMSE as a key outcome measure in SMA clinical trials because the individual items and the detected changes have clear content validity and clinical meaningfulness for patients and their caregivers. ..
- Richardson P, Smith A, Triplett B, Kernan N, Grupp S, Antin J, et al. Earlier defibrotide initiation post-diagnosis of veno-occlusive disease/sinusoidal obstruction syndrome improves Day +100 survival following haematopoietic stem cell transplantation. Br J Haematol. 2017;178:112-118 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that initiation of defibrotide should not be delayed after diagnosis of VOD/SOS...
- Albini T, Callaway N, Pershing S, Wang S, Moshfeghi A, Moshfeghi D. Trends in Hospitalization and Incidence Rate for Syphilitic Uveitis in the United States From 1998 to 2009. Am J Ophthalmol. 2017;180:133-141 pubmed publisher..Fortunately, this remains a rare condition. The results demonstrate no change in the number of inpatient admissions for syphilitic uveitis during the study period. ..
- Ladd A, Kibele A, Gibbons S. Surgical treatment and postoperative splinting of recessive dystrophic epidermolysis bullosa. J Hand Surg Am. 1996;21:888-97 pubmed..An interdisciplinary team of physicians and surgeons, therapists, and nurses makes this care regimen possible and influences family compliance...
- Lincoln T, Suen P. Common rotational variations in children. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2003;11:312-20 pubmed..Although congenital muscular torticollis is the most common explanation for the atypical head posture in children, more serious disorders, including osseous malformations, inflammation, and neurogenic disorders, should be excluded...
- Packman W, Greenhalgh J, Chesterman B, Shaffer T, Fine J, Van Zutphen K, et al. Siblings of pediatric cancer patients: the quantitative and qualitative nature of quality of life. J Psychosoc Oncol. 2005;23:87-108 pubmed..These findings suggest the beneficial effects of camp as a psychological intervention and illustrate the value of integrating quantitative and qualitative methodological approaches in research. ..
- Arnulf I, Lin L, Gadoth N, File J, Lecendreux M, Franco P, et al. Kleine-Levin syndrome: a systematic study of 108 patients. Ann Neurol. 2008;63:482-93 pubmed publisher..Kleine-Levin syndrome is a rare disorder characterized by relapsing-remitting episodes of hypersomnia, cognitive disturbances, and behavioral disturbances, such as hyperphagia and hypersexuality...
- McGuire C, Sainani K, Fisher P. Both location and age predict survival in ependymoma: a SEER study. Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2009;52:65-9 pubmed publisher..Using a population-based registry of ependymomas, we analyzed how age, gender, location, race and radiotherapy influence survival in children...
- Curran E, Le G, Sainani K, Propp J, Fisher P. Do children and adults differ in survival from medulloblastoma? A study from the SEER registry. J Neurooncol. 2009;95:81-85 pubmed publisher..Similar outcomes between adult and childhood MB may justify inclusion of adults in pediatric cooperative trials for MB. ..
- MacLean J, Partap S, Reynolds P, Von Behren J, Fisher P. Birth weight and order as risk factors for childhood central nervous system tumors. J Pediatr. 2010;157:450-5 pubmed publisher..There may be a similar relationship in high-grade gliomas, although other factors, such as early infection, may modify this association. Additional investigation is warranted to validate and further define these findings. ..
- Gyang E, Yeom K, Hoppe C, Partap S, Jeng M. Effect of chronic red cell transfusion therapy on vasculopathies and silent infarcts in patients with sickle cell disease. Am J Hematol. 2011;86:104-6 pubmed publisher..We conclude that adherence to CTX does not necessarily prevent SI or halt cerebral vasculopathy progression, especially in those with a history of overt stroke. ..
- Raj K, Keane Miller C, Golden N. Hypomagnesemia in adolescents with eating disorders hospitalized for medical instability. Nutr Clin Pract. 2012;27:689-94 pubmed publisher..Hypomagnesemia develops later in the course of refeeding than hypophosphatemia. Magnesium levels should continue to be monitored after the more immediate risk of hypophosphatemia has passed, especially in those with alkaline urine. ..
- Pinto N, Park J, Murphy E, Yearley J, McClanahan T, Annamalai L, et al. Patterns of PD-1, PD-L1, and PD-L2 expression in pediatric solid tumors. Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2017;64: pubmed publisher..At low levels of expression, IHC score and mRNA expression correlate poorly. Current and planned clinical trials will determine whether this low level of expression predicts limited response to immune checkpoint inhibitors. ..
- Esbenshade A, Zhao Z, Aftandilian C, Saab R, Wattier R, Beauchemin M, et al. Multisite external validation of a risk prediction model for the diagnosis of blood stream infections in febrile pediatric oncology patients without severe neutropenia. Cancer. 2017;123:3781-3790 pubmed publisher..Cancer 2017;123:3781-3790. Â© 2017 American Cancer Society. ..
- Minoia F, Bovis F, Davì S, Insalaco A, Lehmberg K, Shenoi S, et al. Development and Initial Validation of the Macrophage Activation Syndrome/Primary Hemophagocytic Lymphohistiocytosis Score, a Diagnostic Tool that Differentiates Primary Hemophagocytic Lymphohistiocytosis from Macrophage Activation Syndrome. J Pediatr. 2017;189:72-78.e3 pubmed publisher..The MH score is a powerful tool that may aid practitioners to identify patients who are more likely to have pHLH and, thus, could be prioritized for functional and genetic testing. ..
- Qin E, Cooper D, Abbott K, Lennon J, Nagaraja S, Mackay A, et al. Neural Precursor-Derived Pleiotrophin Mediates Subventricular Zone Invasion by Glioma. Cell. 2017;170:845-859.e19 pubmed publisher..These findings demonstrate a pathogenic role for NPC:glioma interactions and potential therapeutic targets to limit glioma invasion. PAPERCLIP. ..
- Eichenfield L, Call R, Forsha D, Fowler J, Hebert A, Spellman M, et al. Long-term safety of crisaborole ointment 2% in children and adults with mild to moderate atopic dermatitis. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2017;77:641-649.e5 pubmed publisher..2%). Nine patients (1.7%) discontinued the long-term study because of TEAEs. Long-term efficacy was not analyzed. Crisaborole ointment had a low frequency of treatment-related AEs over 48 weeks of treatment of patients with AD. ..
- Yarlagadda V, Maeda K, Zhang Y, Chen S, Dykes J, Gowen M, et al. Temporary Circulatory Support in U.S. Children Awaiting Heart Transplantation. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2017;70:2250-2260 pubmed publisher..It is unknown whether newer-generation temporary circulatory support (TCS) devices afford children a meaningful survival advantage over ECMO...
- Kne T, Shaw M, Garfield E, Hicks J. A program to address the special needs of drug-exposed children. J Sch Health. 1994;64:251-3 pubmed
- Packman W, Henderson S, Mehta I, Ronen R, DANNER D, Chesterman B, et al. Psychosocial issues in families affected by maple syrup urine disease. J Genet Couns. 2007;16:799-809 pubmed..Despite the emotional and financial burden, parents reported that MSUD has also had a positive influence on their lives, leading to a world-view that is more compassionate and caring...
- Zarkhin V, Talisetti A, Li L, Wozniak L, McDiarmid S, Cox K, et al. Expression of soluble HLA-G identifies favorable outcomes in liver transplant recipients. Transplantation. 2010;90:1000-5 pubmed publisher..58) and greater severity of AR episodes (r=-0.56) after 1 year posttransplantation. Increased serum HLA-G levels track with operational tolerance of liver grafts and support favorable outcomes in pediatric and young adult recipients. ..
- Robinson T, Matheson D, Kraemer H, Wilson D, Obarzanek E, Thompson N, et al. A randomized controlled trial of culturally tailored dance and reducing screen time to prevent weight gain in low-income African American girls: Stanford GEMS. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2010;164:995-1004 pubmed publisher..There was also evidence for greater effectiveness in high-risk subgroups of girls. ..
- Lin S, Kastenberg Z, Bruzoni M, Albanese C, Dutta S. Chest wall reconstruction using implantable cross-linked porcine dermal collagen matrix (Permacol). J Pediatr Surg. 2012;47:1472-5 pubmed publisher..1-2.6 years; mean 1.9 years). Biologic mesh offers a safe and dependable alternative to both primary tissue repair and synthetic mesh in pediatric patients undergoing chest wall reconstruction. ..
- Karski E, McIlvaine E, Segal M, Krailo M, Grier H, Granowetter L, et al. Identification of Discrete Prognostic Groups in Ewing Sarcoma. Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2016;63:47-53 pubmed publisher..These groups may enable future clinical trials to adjust EWS treatment according to individualized risk. ..
- Kipps A, Poole S, Slaney C, Feehan S, Longhurst C, Sharek P, et al. Inpatient-Derived Vital Sign Parameters Implementation: An Initiative to Decrease Alarm Burden. Pediatrics. 2017;140: pubmed publisher..Implementation of data-driven HR and iteratively derived RR parameters safely decreased the total alarm frequency by 21% in a pediatric acute care unit. ..
- Yin H, Parker R, Sanders L, Mendelsohn A, Dreyer B, Bailey S, et al. Pictograms, Units and Dosing Tools, and Parent Medication Errors: A Randomized Study. Pediatrics. 2017;140: pubmed publisher..9 [1.1-3.3], aOR = 2.5 [1.4-4.6], respectively). Provision of dosing tools more closely matched to prescribed dose volumes is an especially promising strategy for reducing pediatric dosing errors. ..
- Kheifets L, Kavet R, Sussman S. Wire codes, magnetic fields, and childhood cancer. Bioelectromagnetics. 1997;18:99-110 pubmed
- Ortiz Urda S, Garcia J, Green C, Chen L, Lin Q, Veitch D, et al. Type VII collagen is required for Ras-driven human epidermal tumorigenesis. Science. 2005;307:1773-6 pubmed..Tumor-stroma interactions mediated by collagen VII thus promote neoplasia, and retention of NC1 sequences in a subset of RDEB patients may contribute to their increased susceptibility to squamous cell carcinoma. ..
- Chamberlain L, Sanders L, Takayama J. Child advocacy training: curriculum outcomes and resident satisfaction. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2005;159:842-7 pubmed..The wide range of topics and settings in which residents developed projects illustrates residents' extensive interests and ingenuity in applying needed advocacy solutions to complex child health issues. ..