Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on caenorhabditis elegans in Davis, California, United States
Locale: Davis, California, United States
Topic: caenorhabditis elegans
- Panzica M, Marin H, Reymann A, McNally F. F-actin prevents interaction between sperm DNA and the oocyte meiotic spindle in C. elegans. J Cell Biol. 2017;216:2273-2282 pubmed publisher..However, increasing yolk granule size did not slow their velocity, and the F-actin moved with the yolk granules. Instead, sperm contents connect to the cortical F-actin to prevent interaction with the meiotic spindle. ..
- Ou G, Koga M, Blacque O, Murayama T, Ohshima Y, Schafer J, et al. Sensory ciliogenesis in Caenorhabditis elegans: assignment of IFT components into distinct modules based on transport and phenotypic profiles. Mol Biol Cell. 2007;18:1554-69 pubmed
- Tsou M, Hayashi A, DeBella L, McGrath G, Rose L. LET-99 determines spindle position and is asymmetrically enriched in response to PAR polarity cues in C. elegans embryos. Development. 2002;129:4469-81 pubmed..Together, the data indicate that LET-99 acts downstream of PAR-3 and PAR-2 to determine spindle positioning, potentially through the asymmetric regulation of forces on the spindle. ..
- Chang Y, Dranow D, Kuhn J, Meyerzon M, Ngo M, Ratner D, et al. toca-1 is in a novel pathway that functions in parallel with a SUN-KASH nuclear envelope bridge to move nuclei in Caenorhabditis elegans. Genetics. 2013;193:187-200 pubmed publisher..The other emu mutations potentially represent other components of this novel pathway. ..
- Espiritu E, Krueger L, Ye A, Rose L. CLASPs function redundantly to regulate astral microtubules in the C. elegans embryo. Dev Biol. 2012;368:242-54 pubmed publisher..Further, we show that these spindle pole-positioning roles are independent of the CLS-2 binding proteins HCP-1 and HCP-2...
- McGee M, Rillo R, Anderson A, Starr D. UNC-83 IS a KASH protein required for nuclear migration and is recruited to the outer nuclear membrane by a physical interaction with the SUN protein UNC-84. Mol Biol Cell. 2006;17:1790-801 pubmed..This mechanism seems conserved across eukaryotes and is the first proposed mechanism to target proteins specifically to the outer nuclear membrane. ..
- Fridolfsson H, Starr D. Kinesin-1 and dynein at the nuclear envelope mediate the bidirectional migrations of nuclei. J Cell Biol. 2010;191:115-28 pubmed publisher..This organization of microtubules fits with our model that kinesin-1 moves nuclei forward and dynein functions to move nuclei backward for short stretches to bypass cellular roadblocks. ..
- McGee M, Stagljar I, Starr D. KDP-1 is a nuclear envelope KASH protein required for cell-cycle progression. J Cell Sci. 2009;122:2895-905 pubmed publisher..The data suggest that KDP-1 is a novel KASH protein that functions to ensure the timely progression of the cell cycle between the end of S phase and the entry into mitosis. ..
- Bradnam K, Korf I. Longer first introns are a general property of eukaryotic gene structure. PLoS ONE. 2008;3:e3093 pubmed publisher..The phenomenon of longer first introns can potentially be used to improve gene prediction software and also to detect errors in existing gene annotations. ..
- LEE J, O Halloran D, Eastham Anderson J, Juang B, Kaye J, Scott Hamilton O, et al. Nuclear entry of a cGMP-dependent kinase converts transient into long-lasting olfactory adaptation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:6016-21 pubmed publisher..Thus, the EGL-4 protein kinase acts as a sensor that integrates odor signaling over time, and its nuclear translocation is an instructive switch that allows the animal to ignore persistent odors. ..
- McNally K, McNally F. The spindle assembly function of Caenorhabditis elegans katanin does not require microtubule-severing activity. Mol Biol Cell. 2011;22:1550-60 pubmed publisher..This unique bipartite microtubule-binding structure may mediate the spindle-pole assembly activity of katanin during female meiosis. ..
- Ou G, Blacque O, Snow J, Leroux M, Scholey J. Functional coordination of intraflagellar transport motors. Nature. 2005;436:583-7 pubmed..These findings implicate BBS ciliary disease proteins and an OSM-3 kinesin activator in the formation of two IFT pathways that build functional cilia. ..
- Yang H, McNally K, McNally F. MEI-1/katanin is required for translocation of the meiosis I spindle to the oocyte cortex in C elegans. Dev Biol. 2003;260:245-59 pubmed..These results indicate a direct role of microtubule severing in translocation of the meiotic spindle to the cortex. ..
- McNally K, Fabritius A, Ellefson M, Flynn J, Milan J, McNally F. Kinesin-1 prevents capture of the oocyte meiotic spindle by the sperm aster. Dev Cell. 2012;22:788-98 pubmed publisher..Kinesin prevents recruitment of pericentriolar proteins by coating the sperm DNA and centrioles and thus prevents triploidy by a nonmotor mechanism...
- Jaramillo Lambert A, Harigaya Y, Vitt J, Villeneuve A, Engebrecht J. Meiotic errors activate checkpoints that improve gamete quality without triggering apoptosis in male germ cells. Curr Biol. 2010;20:2078-89 pubmed publisher..We propose that the recombination checkpoint functions in male germ cells to promote repair of meiotic recombination intermediates, thereby improving the fidelity of chromosome transmission in the absence of apoptosis. ..
- Krueger L, Wu J, Tsou M, Rose L. LET-99 inhibits lateral posterior pulling forces during asymmetric spindle elongation in C. elegans embryos. J Cell Biol. 2010;189:481-95 pubmed publisher..We propose that the attenuation of lateral forces prevents counterproductive pulling, resulting in a higher net force toward the posterior that contributes to spindle elongation and displacement. ..
- Tapley E, Ly N, Starr D. Multiple mechanisms actively target the SUN protein UNC-84 to the inner nuclear membrane. Mol Biol Cell. 2011;22:1739-52 pubmed publisher..Multiple mechanisms might also be used to target other proteins to the INM, thereby ensuring their proper and timely localization for essential cellular and developmental functions. ..
- Ellefson M, McNally F. CDK-1 inhibits meiotic spindle shortening and dynein-dependent spindle rotation in C. elegans. J Cell Biol. 2011;193:1229-44 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that CDK-1 blocks rotation by inhibiting dynein association with microtubules and with LIN-5-ASPM-1 at meiotic spindle poles and that the APC promotes spindle rotation by inhibiting CDK-1. ..
- Hillyard S, German J. Quantitative lipid analysis and life span of the fat-3 mutant of Caenorhabditis elegans. J Agric Food Chem. 2009;57:3389-96 pubmed publisher..The results show a beneficial effect of these molecules on the life span of C. elegans and will aid in the elucidation of the underlying causes of PUFA deficiency in the simple animal C. elegans as well as in humans. ..
- Harris P, Mazina O, Leonhardt E, Case R, Boyd J, Burtis K. Molecular cloning of Drosophila mus308, a gene involved in DNA cross-link repair with homology to prokaryotic DNA polymerase I genes. Mol Cell Biol. 1996;16:5764-71 pubmed..Identification of a closely related gene in the genome of Caenorhabditis elegans suggests that this novel polypeptide may play an evolutionarily conserved role in the repair of DNA damage in eukaryotic organisms. ..
- Zhou H, Brust Mascher I, Scholey J. Direct visualization of the movement of the monomeric axonal transport motor UNC-104 along neuronal processes in living Caenorhabditis elegans. J Neurosci. 2001;21:3749-55 pubmed..To our knowledge, this is the first direct visualization and analysis of the movement of specifically labeled microtubule motor proteins along axons in vivo. ..
- Basham S, Rose L. The Caenorhabditis elegans polarity gene ooc-5 encodes a Torsin-related protein of the AAA ATPase superfamily. Development. 2001;128:4645-56 pubmed..These results suggest that OOC-3 and OOC-5 function in the secretion of proteins required for the localization of PAR proteins in the P(1) cell, and may have implications for the study of torsion dystonia. ..
- Tsou M, Hayashi A, Rose L. LET-99 opposes Galpha/GPR signaling to generate asymmetry for spindle positioning in response to PAR and MES-1/SRC-1 signaling. Development. 2003;130:5717-30 pubmed..These results provide insight into how polarity cues are transmitted into specific spindle positions in both extrinsic and intrinsic pathways of asymmetric cell division. ..
- Yang H, Mains P, McNally F. Kinesin-1 mediates translocation of the meiotic spindle to the oocyte cortex through KCA-1, a novel cargo adapter. J Cell Biol. 2005;169:447-57 pubmed..This study thus reveals two sequential mechanisms for translocating anastral spindles to the oocyte cortex. ..
- Tucker R, Chiquet Ehrismann R. Teneurins: a conserved family of transmembrane proteins involved in intercellular signaling during development. Dev Biol. 2006;290:237-45 pubmed..Teneurin function appears to be required for a fundamentally important signaling mechanism conserved between invertebrates and vertebrates having an impact on many processes relying on cell-cell contact throughout development. ..
- Evans J, Snow J, Gunnarson A, Ou G, Stahlberg H, McDonald K, et al. Functional modulation of IFT kinesins extends the sensory repertoire of ciliated neurons in Caenorhabditis elegans. J Cell Biol. 2006;172:663-9 pubmed
- Asano K, Vornlocher H, Richter Cook N, Merrick W, Hinnebusch A, Hershey J. Structure of cDNAs encoding human eukaryotic initiation factor 3 subunits. Possible roles in RNA binding and macromolecular assembly. J Biol Chem. 1997;272:27042-52 pubmed..The subunit composition of eIF3 appears to be highly conserved in Drosophila melanogaster, C. elegans, and Arabidopsis thaliana, whereas only 5 homologs of the 10 subunits of mammalian eIF3 are encoded in S. cerevisiae. ..
- ..Recent studies have addressed important details of the cortical pulling mechanism and have revealed alternative mechanisms that may be used when microtubules do not extend from the spindle to the cortex...
- Signor D, Wedaman K, Rose L, Scholey J. Two heteromeric kinesin complexes in chemosensory neurons and sensory cilia of Caenorhabditis elegans. Mol Biol Cell. 1999;10:345-60 pubmed
- Chen S, Huang P, Cheng H. Disrupted-in-Schizophrenia 1-mediated axon guidance involves TRIO-RAC-PAK small GTPase pathway signaling. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:5861-6 pubmed publisher..These results together indicate that the TRIO-RAC-PAK signaling pathway can be exploited and modulated by DISC1 to regulate axonal connectivity in the developing brain. ..
- DeBella L, Hayashi A, Rose L. LET-711, the Caenorhabditis elegans NOT1 ortholog, is required for spindle positioning and regulation of microtubule length in embryos. Mol Biol Cell. 2006;17:4911-24 pubmed..We therefore propose that LET-711 inhibits the expression of ZYG-9 and potentially other centrosome-associated proteins, in order to maintain normal centrosome size and microtubule dynamics during early embryonic divisions. ..
- Wang C, LOWER S, Thomas V, Williamson V. Root-knot nematodes exhibit strain-specific clumping behavior that is inherited as a simple genetic trait. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e15148 pubmed publisher..Clumping behavior may be a survival strategy whose importance and function depend on the niche of the nematode strain or species...
- Civelekoglu Scholey G, Scholey J. Mitotic motors: kinesin-5 takes a brake. Curr Biol. 2007;17:R544-7 pubmed..elegans, kinesin-5 is deployed as a brake to slow down spindle-pole separation. ..
- Hagopian K, Weber K, Hwee D, Van Eenennaam A, Lopez Lluch G, Villalba J, et al. Complex I-associated hydrogen peroxide production is decreased and electron transport chain enzyme activities are altered in n-3 enriched fat-1 mice. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e12696 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that the fatty acid changes in fat-1 liver mitochondria may at least partially oppose oxidative stress by limiting ROS production from ETC complex I. ..
- Wu J, Rose L. PAR-3 and PAR-1 inhibit LET-99 localization to generate a cortical band important for spindle positioning in Caenorhabditis elegans embryos. Mol Biol Cell. 2007;18:4470-82 pubmed..Finally, examination of par-1 embryos suggests that the banded pattern of LET-99 is critical for normal posterior spindle displacement and to prevent spindle misorientation caused by cell shape constraints. ..
- Fridolfsson H, Ly N, Meyerzon M, Starr D. UNC-83 coordinates kinesin-1 and dynein activities at the nuclear envelope during nuclear migration. Dev Biol. 2010;338:237-50 pubmed publisher..Kinesin-1 functions as the major force generator during nuclear migration, while dynein is involved in regulation of bidirectional transport of the nucleus. ..
- Meyerzon M, Gao Z, Liu J, Wu J, Malone C, Starr D. Centrosome attachment to the C. elegans male pronucleus is dependent on the surface area of the nuclear envelope. Dev Biol. 2009;327:433-46 pubmed publisher..We propose that the limiting factor for centrosome attachment to the surface of abnormally small pronuclei is dynein. ..
- Lucanic M, Kiley M, Ashcroft N, L ETOILE N, Cheng H. The Caenorhabditis elegans P21-activated kinases are differentially required for UNC-6/netrin-mediated commissural motor axon guidance. Development. 2006;133:4549-59 pubmed..Finally, we provide evidence that MAX-2 functions downstream of the UNC-6/netrin receptor UNC-5 during axon repulsion and is an integral part of its signaling. ..
- Harris T, Aronov P, Jones P, Tanaka H, Arand M, Hammock B. Identification of two epoxide hydrolases in Caenorhabditis elegans that metabolize mammalian lipid signaling molecules. Arch Biochem Biophys. 2008;472:139-49 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that the hydrolases are involved in the metabolism of possible lipid signaling molecules in C. elegans. ..
- Signor D, Wedaman K, Orozco J, Dwyer N, Bargmann C, Rose L, et al. Role of a class DHC1b dynein in retrograde transport of IFT motors and IFT raft particles along cilia, but not dendrites, in chemosensory neurons of living Caenorhabditis elegans. J Cell Biol. 1999;147:519-30 pubmed..Thus, we propose that the class DHC1b cytoplasmic dynein, CHE-3, is specifically responsible for the retrograde transport of the anterograde motor, kinesin-II, and its cargo within sensory cilia, but not within dendrites. ..
- Ellefson M, McNally F. Kinesin-1 and cytoplasmic dynein act sequentially to move the meiotic spindle to the oocyte cortex in Caenorhabditis elegans. Mol Biol Cell. 2009;20:2722-30 pubmed publisher..This represents a case of kinesin-1/dynein coordination in which these two motors of opposite polarity act sequentially and independently on a cargo to move it in the same direction. ..