Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on brain in Los Angeles, California, United States
Locale: Los Angeles, California, United States
Publications185 found, 100 shown here
- Deng Bryant Y, Prins M, Hovda D, Harris N. Ketogenic diet prevents alterations in brain metabolism in young but not adult rats after traumatic brain injury. J Neurotrauma. 2011;28:1813-25 pubmed publisher..Moreover, the younger brains revert to ketones metabolism more quickly than do the adult brains, resulting in better neurochemical and cerebral metabolic recovery after injury. ..
- Labus J, Hubbard C, Bueller J, Ebrat B, Tillisch K, Chen M, et al. Impaired emotional learning and involvement of the corticotropin-releasing factor signaling system in patients with irritable bowel syndrome. Gastroenterology. 2013;145:1253-61.e1-3 pubmed publisher..This up-regulation might contribute to the previously reported abnormal brain responses to expected abdominal pain. ..
- Miller J, Ding S, Sunkin S, Smith K, Ng L, Szafer A, et al. Transcriptional landscape of the prenatal human brain. Nature. 2014;508:199-206 pubmed publisher..These data provide a rich, freely-accessible resource for understanding human brain development. ..
- Jozwiak S, Becker A, Cepeda C, Engel J, Gnatkovsky V, Huberfeld G, et al. WONOEP appraisal: Development of epilepsy biomarkers-What we can learn from our patients?. Epilepsia. 2017;58:951-961 pubmed publisher..Additional studies in patients and animal models could identify common and clinically valuable biomarkers to successfully translate animal studies into new and effective clinical trials. ..
- Simpson L, Emeson R. RNA editing. Annu Rev Neurosci. 1996;19:27-52 pubmed
- Lim G, Chu T, Yang F, Beech W, Frautschy S, Cole G. The curry spice curcumin reduces oxidative damage and amyloid pathology in an Alzheimer transgenic mouse. J Neurosci. 2001;21:8370-7 pubmed..Microgliosis was also suppressed in neuronal layers but not adjacent to plaques. In view of its efficacy and apparent low toxicity, this Indian spice component shows promise for the prevention of Alzheimer's disease. ..
- Schlachetzki F, Zhu C, Pardridge W. Expression of the neonatal Fc receptor (FcRn) at the blood-brain barrier. J Neurochem. 2002;81:203-6 pubmed..The capillary endothelial FcRn may mediate the 'reverse transcytosis' of IgG in the brain to blood direction. ..
- Berman S, Chang L, Suyenobu B, Derbyshire S, Stains J, FitzGerald L, et al. Condition-specific deactivation of brain regions by 5-HT3 receptor antagonist Alosetron. Gastroenterology. 2002;123:969-77 pubmed..Reduction in IBS symptoms correlated with a drug-induced reduction in the activity of central autonomic networks mediating emotional expression that was maximal in the absence of nociceptive input. ..
- Macey P, Macey K, Woo M, Keens T, Harper R. Aberrant neural responses to cold pressor challenges in congenital central hypoventilation syndrome. Pediatr Res. 2005;57:500-9 pubmed
- Li G, Chiara D, Sawyer G, Husain S, Olsen R, Cohen J. Identification of a GABAA receptor anesthetic binding site at subunit interfaces by photolabeling with an etomidate analog. J Neurosci. 2006;26:11599-605 pubmed
- Eisenberg M, Samuels M, DiStefano J. Extensions, validation, and clinical applications of a feedback control system simulator of the hypothalamo-pituitary-thyroid axis. Thyroid. 2008;18:1071-85 pubmed publisher..Central hypothyroidism--These results highlight how highly nonlinear feedback in the hypothalamic-pituitary-thyroid axis acts to maintain normal hormone levels, even with severely reduced TSH secretion. ..
- Lelie H, Liba A, Bourassa M, Chattopadhyay M, Chan P, Gralla E, et al. Copper and zinc metallation status of copper-zinc superoxide dismutase from amyotrophic lateral sclerosis transgenic mice. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:2795-806 pubmed publisher..Together these data provide a picture of copper and zinc in the cell as well as highlight the importance of these metals in understanding SOD1-ALS pathology. ..
- Fu L, Abu Khalil A, Morrison R, Geschwind D, Kornblum H. Expression patterns of epidermal growth factor receptor and fibroblast growth factor receptor 1 mRNA in fetal human brain. J Comp Neurol. 2003;462:265-73 pubmed..The current study suggests that HEGFR and HFGFR1 are likely to play different roles during human brain development, but that these roles will be similar to those observed in the rodent brain. ..
- Liebeskind D. Reperfusion for acute ischemic stroke: arterial revascularization and collateral therapeutics. Curr Opin Neurol. 2010;23:36-45 pubmed publisher..These timely findings illustrate the essential role of reperfusion in acute stroke, delineating aspects of arterial revascularization and collateral therapeutics to be refined in coming years. ..
- Song I, Orosz I, Chervoneva I, Waldman Z, Fried I, Wu C, et al. Bimodal coupling of ripples and slower oscillations during sleep in patients with focal epilepsy. Epilepsia. 2017;58:1972-1984 pubmed publisher..Phase-event amplitude coupling between ripples and sleep oscillations may be useful to distinguish pathologic and physiologic events in patients with frontal and parietal SOZ. ..
- Irvin D, Zurcher S, Nguyen T, Weinmaster G, Kornblum H. Expression patterns of Notch1, Notch2, and Notch3 suggest multiple functional roles for the Notch-DSL signaling system during brain development. J Comp Neurol. 2001;436:167-81 pubmed..Taken together, these results support multiple roles for Notch1, 2, and 3 receptor activation during CNS development, particularly during gliogenesis. ..
- Younossi Hartenstein A, Salvaterra P, Hartenstein V. Early development of the Drosophila brain: IV. Larval neuropile compartments defined by glial septa. J Comp Neurol. 2003;455:435-50 pubmed..Neuropile compartments, representing easily identifiable landmark structures, will assist in future analyses of Drosophila brain development in which the exact location of neurons and their axonal trajectories is of importance. ..
- Chang L, Berman S, Mayer E, Suyenobu B, Derbyshire S, Naliboff B, et al. Brain responses to visceral and somatic stimuli in patients with irritable bowel syndrome with and without fibromyalgia. Am J Gastroenterol. 2003;98:1354-61 pubmed
- Zirger J, Liu C, Barcia C, Castro M, Lowenstein P. Immune regulation of transgene expression in the brain: B cells regulate an early phase of elimination of transgene expression from adenoviral vectors. Viral Immunol. 2006;19:508-17 pubmed
- Wang L, Martinez V, Larauche M, TACHE Y. Proximal colon distension induces Fos expression in oxytocin-, vasopressin-, CRF- and catecholamines-containing neurons in rat brain. Brain Res. 2009;1247:79-91 pubmed publisher..Activation of medullary catecholaminergic centers might reflect the afferent and efferent limbs of the functional responses associated to visceral pain. ..
- Woolf N, Butcher L. Cholinergic systems mediate action from movement to higher consciousness. Behav Brain Res. 2011;221:488-98 pubmed publisher..These effects and their implications for cholinergic involvement in higher cognition are explored in this review. ..
- Miller J, Cai C, Langfelder P, Geschwind D, Kurian S, Salomon D, et al. Strategies for aggregating gene expression data: the collapseRows R function. BMC Bioinformatics. 2011;12:322 pubmed publisher..The R function collapseRows implements several standard and network-based collapsing methods. In various genomic applications we provide evidence that both types of methods are robust and biologically relevant tools. ..
- ..Nonetheless, the residual cognitive functions observed in vegetative patients might reflect intact but functionally disconnected cortical modules that do not give rise to the subjective feeling of phenomenological awareness. ..
- Engel J, Thompson P, Stern J, Staba R, Bragin A, Mody I. Connectomics and epilepsy. Curr Opin Neurol. 2013;26:186-94 pubmed publisher..The field of connectomics now provides approaches to accomplish this. ..
- Hong C, Tontonoz P. Liver X receptors in lipid metabolism: opportunities for drug discovery. Nat Rev Drug Discov. 2014;13:433-44 pubmed publisher..New strategies for the pharmacological manipulation of LXRs and their target genes offer promise for the treatment of human diseases in which lipids have a central role, including atherosclerosis and Alzheimer's disease. ..
- Shawber C, Boulter J, Lindsell C, Weinmaster G. Jagged2: a serrate-like gene expressed during rat embryogenesis. Dev Biol. 1996;180:370-6 pubmed..Our data are consistent with the idea that the diversity of cell types regulated by Notch signaling is a consequence of activation of unique Notch isoforms by different DSL ligands. ..
- Ljubimova J, Wilson S, Petrovic L, Ehrenman K, Ljubimov A, Demetriou A, et al. Novel human malignancy-associated gene (MAG) expressed in various tumors and in some tumor preexisting conditions. Cancer Res. 1998;58:4475-9 pubmed..The estimated transcript size from Northern blot analysis was 8.8 kb. This novel gene may play a role in the progression of premalignant conditions and in the development of HCC and other cancers. ..
- Liu X, Jaenisch R. Severe peripheral sensory neuron loss and modest motor neuron reduction in mice with combined deficiency of brain-derived neurotrophic factor, neurotrophin 3 and neurotrophin 4/5. Dev Dyn. 2000;218:94-101 pubmed..Our results suggest that neurotrophins are essential for the survival of most peripheral sensory neurons and affect the survival of a small portion of motor neurons during embryogenesis. ..
- Tiwari Woodruff S, Buznikov A, Vu T, Micevych P, Chen K, Kornblum H, et al. OSP/claudin-11 forms a complex with a novel member of the tetraspanin super family and beta1 integrin and regulates proliferation and migration of oligodendrocytes. J Cell Biol. 2001;153:295-305 pubmed..These data suggest a role for OSP/claudin-11, OAP-1, and beta1 integrin complex in regulating proliferation and migration of oligodendrocytes, a process essential for normal myelination and repair. ..
- Soma K, Schlinger B, Wingfield J, Saldanha C. Brain aromatase, 5 alpha-reductase, and 5 beta-reductase change seasonally in wild male song sparrows: relationship to aggressive and sexual behavior. J Neurobiol. 2003;56:209-21 pubmed..These data highlight the relevance of neural steroid metabolism to the expression of natural behaviors by free-living animals. ..
- Stockard Sullivan J, Korsak R, Webber D, Edmond J. Mild carbon monoxide exposure and auditory function in the developing rat. J Neurosci Res. 2003;74:644-54 pubmed..We conclude that prolonged mild exposure to carbon monoxide during development causes measurable functional changes at the level of the eighth cranial nerve. ..
- Peng Z, Huang C, Stell B, Mody I, Houser C. Altered expression of the delta subunit of the GABAA receptor in a mouse model of temporal lobe epilepsy. J Neurosci. 2004;24:8629-39 pubmed
- Mathern G, Andres M, Salamon N, Chandra P, Andre V, Cepeda C, et al. A hypothesis regarding the pathogenesis and epileptogenesis of pediatric cortical dysplasia and hemimegalencephaly based on MRI cerebral volumes and NeuN cortical cell densities. Epilepsia. 2007;48 Suppl 5:74-8 pubmed
- Langfelder P, Luo R, Oldham M, Horvath S. Is my network module preserved and reproducible?. PLoS Comput Biol. 2011;7:e1001057 pubmed publisher..Data, R software and accompanying tutorials can be downloaded from the following webpage: http://www.genetics.ucla.edu/labs/horvath/CoexpressionNetwork/ModulePreservation. ..
- Boado R, Hui E, Lu J, Sumbria R, Pardridge W. Blood-brain barrier molecular trojan horse enables imaging of brain uptake of radioiodinated recombinant protein in the rhesus monkey. Bioconjug Chem. 2013;24:1741-9 pubmed publisher..The use of BBB molecular Trojan horses enables brain imaging of recombinant proteins that are re-engineered for BBB transport. ..
- Lee R, Clandinin T, Lee C, Chen P, Meinertzhagen I, Zipursky S. The protocadherin Flamingo is required for axon target selection in the Drosophila visual system. Nat Neurosci. 2003;6:557-63 pubmed..We propose that Flamingo-mediated interactions between R-cell growth cones within the target field regulate target selection. ..
- Pereanu W, Spindler S, Im E, Buu N, Hartenstein V. The emergence of patterned movement during late embryogenesis of Drosophila. Dev Neurobiol. 2007;67:1669-85 pubmed..Our results reveal prominent alterations in embryonic motility for both of these mutations, indicating that the protocerebrum and glial cells play a crucial role in the neural mechanism controlling larval movement in Drosophila. ..
- Zirger J, Puntel M, Bergeron J, Wibowo M, Moridzadeh R, Bondale N, et al. Immune-mediated loss of transgene expression from virally transduced brain cells is irreversible, mediated by IFNÎ³, perforin, and TNFÎ±, and due to the elimination of transduced cells. Mol Ther. 2012;20:808-19 pubmed publisher..We conclude that the anti-adenoviral immune response reduces transgene expression in the brain through loss of transduced cells. ..
- Cruz Martin A, Crespo M, Portera Cailliau C. Glutamate induces the elongation of early dendritic protrusions via mGluRs in wild type mice, but not in fragile X mice. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e32446 pubmed publisher..Thus, absence of FMRP may impair the ability of cortical pyramidal neurons to respond to glutamate released from nearby pre-synaptic terminals, which may be a critical step to initiate synaptogenesis and stabilize spines. ..
- McLaughlin N, Martin N. Meningeal management for optimal revascularization from middle meningeal artery. J Neurosurg. 2013;118:104-8 pubmed publisher..Applying the dura's vascular layer to the surface of the brain after opening of the arachnoid is designed to optimize dural-pial synangiosis related to middle meningeal artery branches...
- Phillips O, Clark K, Luders E, Azhir R, Joshi S, Woods R, et al. Superficial white matter: effects of age, sex, and hemisphere. Brain Connect. 2013;3:146-59 pubmed publisher..SWM fiber organization/coherence appears greater in the left hemisphere regions spanning language and other networks, while more localized sex effects could possibly reflect sex-specific advantages in information strategies. ..
- Ding F, Yao J, Zhao L, Mao Z, Chen S, Brinton R. Ovariectomy induces a shift in fuel availability and metabolism in the hippocampus of the female transgenic model of familial Alzheimer's. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e59825 pubmed publisher..These findings also indicate that estrogen plays a critical role in sustaining brain bioenergetic capacity through preservation of glucose metabolism. ..
- Feldman J, Vician L, Crispino M, Hoe W, Baudry M, Herschman H. rTLE3, a newly identified transducin-like enhancer of split, is induced by depolarization in brain. J Neurochem. 2000;74:1838-47 pubmed..We propose that members of the transducin-like enhancer of split family of proteins may have distinct functions in the mature CNS, in addition to their functions during development. ..
- Ghiasi H, Osorio Y, Hedvat Y, Perng G, Nesburn A, Wechsler S. Infection of BALB/c mice with a herpes simplex virus type 1 recombinant virus expressing IFN-gamma driven by the LAT promoter. Virology. 2002;302:144-54 pubmed
- Hattori D, Demir E, Kim H, Viragh E, Zipursky S, Dickson B. Dscam diversity is essential for neuronal wiring and self-recognition. Nature. 2007;449:223-7 pubmed..We conclude that Dscam diversity provides each neuron with a unique identity by which it can distinguish its own processes from those of other neurons, and that this self-recognition is essential for wiring the Drosophila brain. ..
- Klunder A, Chiang M, Dutton R, Lee S, Toga A, Lopez O, et al. Mapping cerebellar degeneration in HIV/AIDS. Neuroreport. 2008;19:1655-9 pubmed publisher..Profound cerebellar deficits in HIV/AIDS (P=0.007, corrected) were associated with depression, suggesting a surrogate disease marker for antiretroviral trials...
- Luo S, Ainslie G, Giragosian L, Monterosso J. Behavioral and neural evidence of incentive bias for immediate rewards relative to preference-matched delayed rewards. J Neurosci. 2009;29:14820-7 pubmed publisher..This discrepancy may mark the contribution of self-control processes that are recruited during decision-making but that are absent when rewards are individually anticipated. ..
- BRASKIE M, Jahanshad N, Stein J, Barysheva M, Johnson K, McMahon K, et al. Relationship of a variant in the NTRK1 gene to white matter microstructure in young adults. J Neurosci. 2012;32:5964-72 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that NTRK1-T is important for developing white matter microstructure. ..
- Hong J, Kilpatrick L, Labus J, Gupta A, Jiang Z, Ashe McNalley C, et al. Patients with chronic visceral pain show sex-related alterations in intrinsic oscillations of the resting brain. J Neurosci. 2013;33:11994-2002 pubmed publisher..g., abdominal discomfort). These findings provide the first insight into sex-related differences in IBS subjects compared with HCs using resting-state fMRI. ..
- Bilousova T, Miller C, Poon W, Vinters H, Corrada M, Kawas C, et al. Synaptic Amyloid-Î² Oligomers Precede p-Tau and Differentiate High Pathology Control Cases. Am J Pathol. 2016;186:185-98 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that antiamyloid therapies will be less effective once p-tau pathology is developed. ..
- West A, Kapatos G, O Farrell C, Gonzalez de Chavez F, Chiu K, Farrer M, et al. N-myc regulates parkin expression. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:28896-902 pubmed..Our results, in combination with functional knowledge of the proteins encoded by these genes, suggest a common pathway linking together PD, the ubiquitin-proteasome system, and cell cycle control. ..
- Liu Y, Brent G. A complex deoxyribonucleic acid response element in the rat Ca(2+)/calmodulin-dependent protein kinase IV gene 5'-flanking region mediates thyroid hormone induction and chicken ovalbumin upstream promoter transcription factor 1 repression. Mol Endocrinol. 2002;16:2439-51 pubmed..COUP-TF1 binding did not influence TR/retinoid X receptor binding but modestly augmented RAR/retinoid X receptor binding. A single element confers T(3) and COUP-TF1 regulation of CaMKIV expression. ..
- Chen L, Pai V, Levinson R, Sharpe A, Freeman G, Braun J, et al. Constitutive neuronal expression of the immune regulator, programmed death 1 (PD-1), identified during experimental autoimmune uveitis. Ocul Immunol Inflamm. 2009;17:47-55 pubmed publisher..Programmed death-1 (PD-1) ligation downregulates active lymphocyte responses. The authors tested whether PD-1 or its ligands are expressed in the posterior segment during active intraocular inflammation...
- Ngun T, Ghahramani N, Sanchez F, Bocklandt S, Vilain E. The genetics of sex differences in brain and behavior. Front Neuroendocrinol. 2011;32:227-46 pubmed publisher..Ultimately, the study of the biological basis for sex differences will improve healthcare for both men and women. ..
- Medland S, Jahanshad N, Neale B, Thompson P. Whole-genome analyses of whole-brain data: working within an expanded search space. Nat Neurosci. 2014;17:791-800 pubmed publisher..We recommend a rigorous approach to neuroimaging genomics that capitalizes on its recent successes and ensures the reliability of future discoveries. ..
- Lowenson J, Kim E, Young S, Clarke S. Limited accumulation of damaged proteins in l-isoaspartyl (D-aspartyl) O-methyltransferase-deficient mice. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:20695-702 pubmed..In the absence of PCMT1, proteolysis may limit the intracellular accumulation of damaged proteins but less efficiently than in wild-type mice having PCMT1-mediated repair. ..
- Gehman L, Stoilov P, Maguire J, Damianov A, Lin C, Shiue L, et al. The splicing regulator Rbfox1 (A2BP1) controls neuronal excitation in the mammalian brain. Nat Genet. 2011;43:706-11 pubmed publisher..Thus, Rbfox1 directs a genetic program required in the prevention of neuronal hyperexcitation and seizures. The Rbfox1 knockout mice provide a new model to study the post-transcriptional regulation of synaptic function. ..
- Davies B, Beigneux A, Fong L, Young S. New wrinkles in lipoprotein lipase biology. Curr Opin Lipidol. 2012;23:35-42 pubmed publisher..These new discoveries open new doors for understanding basic mechanisms of lipolysis and hyperlipidemia. ..
- Wu J, Peters J, Goyal M, Krueger D, Sahin M, Northrup H, et al. Clinical Electroencephalographic Biomarker for Impending Epilepsy in Asymptomatic Tuberous Sclerosis Complex Infants. Pediatr Neurol. 2016;54:29-34 pubmed publisher..The most frequent clinical presentation was epileptic spasms followed by focal seizures, and then a combination of both seizure types. ..
- Zaidel D, Cohen J. The face, beauty, and symmetry: perceiving asymmetry in beautiful faces. Int J Neurosci. 2005;115:1165-73 pubmed..These results show that subjects detected asymmetry in beauty and suggest that very beautiful faces can be functionally asymmetrical. ..
- Prins M. Cerebral metabolic adaptation and ketone metabolism after brain injury. J Cereb Blood Flow Metab. 2008;28:1-16 pubmed..It is clear that in addition to glucose, other substrates must be considered along with fuel interactions, metabolic challenges, and cerebral maturation. ..
- Panaitof S, Abrahams B, Dong H, Geschwind D, White S. Language-related Cntnap2 gene is differentially expressed in sexually dimorphic song nuclei essential for vocal learning in songbirds. J Comp Neurol. 2010;518:1995-2018 pubmed publisher..Ongoing functional work will provide important insights into the relationship between Cntnap2 and vocal communication in songbirds and thereby clarify mechanisms at play in disorders of human cognition and language...
- Taghva A. Hidden semi-Markov models in the computerized decoding of microelectrode recording data for deep brain stimulator placement. World Neurosurg. 2011;75:758-763.e4 pubmed publisher..Further clinical work must be done; however, based on these data, HsMMs may be best suited to computer-assisted anatomic delineation for DBS. ..
- Mayer E. Gut feelings: the emerging biology of gut-brain communication. Nat Rev Neurosci. 2011;12:453-66 pubmed publisher..Moreover, disturbances of this system have been implicated in a wide range of disorders, including functional and inflammatory gastrointestinal disorders, obesity and eating disorders. ..
- Huang S, Chen Y, Fu Q, Stins M, Wang Y, Wass C, et al. Identification and characterization of an Escherichia coli invasion gene locus, ibeB, required for penetration of brain microvascular endothelial cells. Infect Immun. 1999;67:2103-9 pubmed..coli K1 invasion of BMEC. Taken together, these findings indicate that several E. coli determinants, including ibeA and ibeB, contribute to crossing of the blood-brain barrier. ..
- Jiang D, Akopian G, Ho Y, Walsh J, Andersen J. Chronic brain oxidation in a glutathione peroxidase knockout mouse model results in increased resistance to induced epileptic seizures. Exp Neurol. 2000;164:257-68 pubmed
- Tajran D, Berek J. Surgical resection of solitary brain metastasis from cervical cancer. Int J Gynecol Cancer. 2003;13:368-70 pubmed..Palliative management should include steroids and radiation therapy. ..
- Chui H. Neuropathology lessons in vascular dementia. Alzheimer Dis Assoc Disord. 2005;19:45-52 pubmed
- Moftakhar P, Hauptman J, Malkasian D, Martin N. Cerebral arteriovenous malformations. Part 2: physiology. Neurosurg Focus. 2009;26:E11 pubmed publisher..As knowledge in this field continues to progress, the natural history and predicted behavior of these AVMs will become more clearly elucidated. ..
- Carruth L, Reisert I, Arnold A. Sex chromosome genes directly affect brain sexual differentiation. Nat Neurosci. 2002;5:933-4 pubmed
- Naliboff B, Berman S, Suyenobu B, Labus J, Chang L, Stains J, et al. Longitudinal change in perceptual and brain activation response to visceral stimuli in irritable bowel syndrome patients. Gastroenterology. 2006;131:352-65 pubmed..In IBS patients, repeated exposure to experimental aversive visceral stimuli results in the habituation of visceral perception and central arousal, despite stable activation of networks processing visceral pain and its anticipation. ..
- Stengel A, TACHE Y. Minireview: nesfatin-1--an emerging new player in the brain-gut, endocrine, and metabolic axis. Endocrinology. 2011;152:4033-8 pubmed publisher..However, the cellular mechanisms of nesfatin-1's action remain poorly understood, partly because the receptor through which nesfatin-1 exerts its pleiotropic actions is yet to be identified. ..
- Yao M, Nguyen T, Rosario E, Ramsden M, Pike C. Androgens regulate neprilysin expression: role in reducing beta-amyloid levels. J Neurochem. 2008;105:2477-88 pubmed publisher..Together, these findings suggest that androgen regulation of Abeta involves an AR-dependent mechanism requiring up-regulation of the Abeta catabolizing enzyme NEP. ..
- Hattori D, Chen Y, Matthews B, Salwinski L, Sabatti C, Grueber W, et al. Robust discrimination between self and non-self neurites requires thousands of Dscam1 isoforms. Nature. 2009;461:644-8 pubmed publisher..We conclude that thousands of isoforms are essential to provide neurons with a robust discrimination mechanism to distinguish between self and non-self during self-avoidance. ..
- Luders E, Gaser C, Narr K, Toga A. Why sex matters: brain size independent differences in gray matter distributions between men and women. J Neurosci. 2009;29:14265-70 pubmed publisher..Altogether, our findings suggest that the observed increased regional GM volumes in female brains constitute sex-dependent redistributions of tissue volume, rather than individual adjustments attributable to brain size. ..
- Hanff T, Furst S, Minor T. Biochemical and anatomical substrates of depression and sickness behavior. Isr J Psychiatry Relat Sci. 2010;47:64-71 pubmed
- Nassif C, Noveen A, Hartenstein V. Early development of the Drosophila brain: III. The pattern of neuropile founder tracts during the larval period. J Comp Neurol. 2003;455:417-34 pubmed..These models form part of our effort to generate an anatomic framework of Drosophila larval brain structure required for accurate localization of gene expression and gene function in experimental studies of neural development. ..
- Beatty J, Laughlin R. Genomic regulation of natural variation in cortical and noncortical brain volume. BMC Neurosci. 2006;7:16 pubmed..Evidence for a candidate gene modulating neocortical volume was much weaker, but Otx1 deserves further consideration. ..
- McLaughlin N, Raychev R, Duckwiler G, Martin N. Pure arterial malformation of the posterior cerebral artery: importance of its recognition. J Neurosurg. 2013;119:655-60 pubmed publisher..The authors propose that this case represents a pure arterial malformation and discuss its distinguishing features. ..
- Perlman W, Ramachandran B, Arnold A. Expression of androgen receptor mRNA in the late embryonic and early posthatch zebra finch brain. J Comp Neurol. 2003;455:513-30 pubmed publisher..Our results suggested that androgens act early in neural development and therefore may contribute to the process of sexual differentiation...
- Eisenberger N, Lieberman M, Satpute A. Personality from a controlled processing perspective: an fMRI study of neuroticism, extraversion, and self-consciousness. Cogn Affect Behav Neurosci. 2005;5:169-81 pubmed..74) than by self-reported neuroticism (r2 = .16), suggesting that neural reactivities may provide a more direct measure of personality than self-reports do. ..
- Nilsen J, Irwin R, Gallaher T, Brinton R. Estradiol in vivo regulation of brain mitochondrial proteome. J Neurosci. 2007;27:14069-77 pubmed
- Hawrylycz M, Lein E, Guillozet Bongaarts A, Shen E, Ng L, Miller J, et al. An anatomically comprehensive atlas of the adult human brain transcriptome. Nature. 2012;489:391-399 pubmed publisher..This freely accessible online data resource forms a high-resolution transcriptional baseline for neurogenetic studies of normal and abnormal human brain function. ..
- Lebel C, Mattson S, Riley E, Jones K, Adnams C, May P, et al. A longitudinal study of the long-term consequences of drinking during pregnancy: heavy in utero alcohol exposure disrupts the normal processes of brain development. J Neurosci. 2012;32:15243-51 pubmed publisher..These results are encouraging in that interventions aimed at altering "experience" over time may improve brain trajectories in individuals with heavy PAE and possibly other neurodevelopmental disorders. ..
- Yao J, Zhao L, Mao Z, Chen S, Wong K, To J, et al. Potentiation of brain mitochondrial function by S-equol and R/S-equol estrogen receptor ?-selective phytoSERM treatments. Brain Res. 2013;1514:128-41 pubmed publisher..This article is part of a Special Issue entitled Hormone Therapy. ..
- Kintz N, Petzinger G, Akopian G, Ptasnik S, Williams C, Jakowec M, et al. Exercise modifies ?-amino-3-hydroxy-5-methyl-4-isoxazolepropionic acid receptor expression in striatopallidal neurons in the 1-methyl-4-phenyl-1,2,3,6-tetrahydropyridine-lesioned mouse. J Neurosci Res. 2013;91:1492-507 pubmed publisher..Mechanisms regulating experience-dependent changes in AMPAR expression may provide innovative therapeutic targets to increase the efficacy of treatments for basal ganglia disorders, including Parkinson's disease. ..