Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on biological transport in San Diego, California, United States
Locale: San Diego, California, United States
Topic: biological transport
- Taylor J, Brown R, Cleveland D. Decoding ALS: from genes to mechanism. Nature. 2016;539:197-206 pubmed publisher..Extraordinary progress in understanding the biology of ALS provides new reasons for optimism that meaningful therapies will be identified. ..
- Li D, Sewer M. RhoA and DIAPH1 mediate adrenocorticotropin-stimulated cortisol biosynthesis by regulating mitochondrial trafficking. Endocrinology. 2010;151:4313-23 pubmed publisher..We conclude that ACTH regulates cortisol production by facilitating interorganelle substrate transfer via a process that is mediated by RhoA and DIAPH1, which act to coordinate the dynamic trafficking of mitochondria. ..
- Paton V, Shackelford J, Krisans S. Cloning and subcellular localization of hamster and rat isopentenyl diphosphate dimethylallyl diphosphate isomerase. A PTS1 motif targets the enzyme to peroxisomes. J Biol Chem. 1997;272:18945-50 pubmed..In addition, we also demonstrate that IPP isomerase is regulated at the mRNA level. ..
- Lancaster M, Gleeson J. The primary cilium as a cellular signaling center: lessons from disease. Curr Opin Genet Dev. 2009;19:220-9 pubmed publisher..New findings are quickly lending insight into the functions of this cellular extension that seems to be especially important in modulation of subcellular signaling cascades at various stages of development and adult homeostasis...
- Craig R, Wagner M, McCardle T, Craig A, Glembotski C. The cytoprotective effects of the glycoprotein 130 receptor-coupled cytokine, cardiotrophin-1, require activation of NF-kappa B. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:37621-9 pubmed..These results indicate that CT-1 signals through p38, ERK, and Akt in a parallel manner to activate NF-kappa B and that NF-kappa B is required for CT-1 to mediate its full cytoprotective effects in cardiac myocytes. ..
- Sweet D, Bush K, Nigam S. The organic anion transporter family: from physiology to ontogeny and the clinic. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2001;281:F197-205 pubmed..Additionally, increased understanding of single nucleotide polymorphisms in OATs and other transporters may eventually allow the use of a patient's expression profile and polymorphisms to individualize drug therapy...
- Safaei R, Maktabi M, Blair B, Larson C, Howell S. Effects of the loss of Atox1 on the cellular pharmacology of cisplatin. J Inorg Biochem. 2009;103:333-41 pubmed publisher..Ctr1 was found to be polyubiquitinated in an Atox1-dependent manner during CDDP exposure. In conclusion, Atox1 is required for the polyubiquitination of Ctr1 and the Ctr1-mediated uptake of CDDP. ..
- Feinberg J, Joseph S. Ribose 2'-hydroxyl groups in the 5' strand of the acceptor arm of P-site tRNA are not essential for EF-G catalyzed translocation. RNA. 2006;12:580-8 pubmed..This suggests that either these 2'-hydroxyl groups are not important for translocation or they are redundant and the three-dimensional shape of the P-site tRNA is more important for translocation. ..
- Jennings T, Becker Catania S, Triulzi R, Tao G, Scott B, Sapsford K, et al. Reactive semiconductor nanocrystals for chemoselective biolabeling and multiplexed analysis. ACS Nano. 2011;5:5579-93 pubmed publisher..Novel labeling applications are also facilitated by these chemistries, as highlighted by the ability to directly label cellular membranes in adherent cell cultures with the thiol-reactive chemistry. ..
- Gaynor E, Mondesert G, Grimme S, Reed S, Orlean P, Emr S. MCD4 encodes a conserved endoplasmic reticulum membrane protein essential for glycosylphosphatidylinositol anchor synthesis in yeast. Mol Biol Cell. 1999;10:627-48 pubmed..A putative role for Mcd4p as participating in the modification of GPI anchors with side chain phosphoethanolamine is also discussed. ..
- Rehling P, Skaletz Rorowski A, Girzalsky W, Voorn Brouwer T, Franse M, Distel B, et al. Pex8p, an intraperoxisomal peroxin of Saccharomyces cerevisiae required for protein transport into peroxisomes binds the PTS1 receptor pex5p. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:3593-602 pubmed..In pex8Delta cells, the PTS1 and PTS2 receptor still associate with membrane bound components of the protein import machinery, supporting the assumption that the Pex8p function in protein translocation follows the docking event. ..
- Kelner G, Lee M, Clark M, Maciejewski D, McGrath D, Rabizadeh S, et al. The copper transport protein Atox1 promotes neuronal survival. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:580-4 pubmed..Therefore, Atox1 is a component of the cellular pathways used for protection against oxidative stress. ..
- Imamura T, Huang J, Dalle S, Ugi S, Usui I, Luttrell L, et al. beta -Arrestin-mediated recruitment of the Src family kinase Yes mediates endothelin-1-stimulated glucose transport. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:43663-7 pubmed
- Huang L, Wang L, Ma Y, Durick K, Perkins G, Deerinck T, et al. NH2-Terminal targeting motifs direct dual specificity A-kinase-anchoring protein 1 (D-AKAP1) to either mitochondria or endoplasmic reticulum. J Cell Biol. 1999;145:951-9 pubmed..This represents the first example of a differentially targeted AKAP and adds an additional level of complexity to the PKA signaling network. ..
- Darsow T, Rieder S, Emr S. A multispecificity syntaxin homologue, Vam3p, essential for autophagic and biosynthetic protein transport to the vacuole. J Cell Biol. 1997;138:517-29 pubmed..This result indicated that SNAREs alone do not define the specificity of vesicle docking reactions. ..
- Chen S, Owens G, Makarenkova H, Edelman D. HDAC6 regulates mitochondrial transport in hippocampal neurons. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e10848 pubmed publisher..HDAC6 may therefore constitute an attractive target in the treatment of these disorders. ..
- Fang L, Choi S, Baek J, Liu C, Almazan F, Ulrich F, et al. Control of angiogenesis by AIBP-mediated cholesterol efflux. Nature. 2013;498:118-22 pubmed publisher..Our findings demonstrate that secreted AIBP positively regulates cholesterol efflux from endothelial cells and that effective cholesterol efflux is critical for proper angiogenesis...
- Nguyen M, Satoh H, Favelyukis S, Babendure J, Imamura T, Sbodio J, et al. JNK and tumor necrosis factor-alpha mediate free fatty acid-induced insulin resistance in 3T3-L1 adipocytes. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:35361-71 pubmed
- Plummer E, Manchester M. Endocytic uptake pathways utilized by CPMV nanoparticles. Mol Pharm. 2013;10:26-32 pubmed publisher..CPMV particles colocalized with Rab5(+) early endosomes to traffic ultimately to a lysosomal compartment. These studies facilitate the further development of effective intracellular drug-delivery strategies using CPMV. ..
- Oh P, Horner T, Witkiewicz H, Schnitzer J. Endothelin induces rapid, dynamin-mediated budding of endothelial caveolae rich in ET-B. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:17353-62 pubmed publisher..Caveolae trafficking may occur more rapidly than previously documented when it is stimulated by a specific ligand to signaling receptors already located in caveolae before ligand engagement. ..
- Wu W, Jamshidi N, Eraly S, Liu H, Bush K, Palsson B, et al. Multispecific drug transporter Slc22a8 (Oat3) regulates multiple metabolic and signaling pathways. Drug Metab Dispos. 2013;41:1825-34 pubmed publisher..The data seemingly consistent with the Remote Sensing and Signaling Hypothesis (Ahn and Nigam, 2009; Wu et al., 2011), also suggests that Oat3 is essential for the handling of dietary flavonoids and antioxidants. ..
- Carley A, Kleinfeld A. Fatty acid (FFA) transport in cardiomyocytes revealed by imaging unbound FFA is mediated by an FFA pump modulated by the CD36 protein. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:4589-97 pubmed publisher..We conclude that FFA influx in cardiac myocytes is mediated by a membrane pump whose transport rate constants may be modulated by FAT/CD36. ..
- Syed G, Khan M, Yang S, Siddiqui A. Hepatitis C Virus Lipoviroparticles Assemble in the Endoplasmic Reticulum (ER) and Bud off from the ER to the Golgi Compartment in COPII Vesicles. J Virol. 2017;91: pubmed publisher..This work provides a unique insight into the HCV LVP assembly process within infected cells and offers opportunities for designing antiviral therapeutic cellular targets. ..
- Parsons C. The role of the urinary epithelium in the pathogenesis of interstitial cystitis/prostatitis/urethritis. Urology. 2007;69:9-16 pubmed..A name such as lower urinary dysfunctional epithelium would incorporate all of these diseases under a single pathophysiologic process. As a result of these discoveries, a new paradigm for diagnosis and treatment is emerging...
- Pines J, Hunter T. Human cyclins A and B1 are differentially located in the cell and undergo cell cycle-dependent nuclear transport. J Cell Biol. 1991;115:1-17 pubmed
- Richardson R. Oxygen transport and utilization: an integration of the muscle systems. Adv Physiol Educ. 2003;27:183-91 pubmed..In combination, these muscle systems facilitate the remarkable 15- to 30-fold increase in metabolic rate from rest to maximal effort in endurance-type exercise...
- Rudge S, Sciorra V, Iwamoto M, Zhou C, Strahl T, Morris A, et al. Roles of phosphoinositides and of Spo14p (phospholipase D)-generated phosphatidic acid during yeast sporulation. Mol Biol Cell. 2004;15:207-18 pubmed
- Repishti M, Hogan D, Pratha V, Davydova L, Donowitz M, Tse C, et al. Human duodenal mucosal brush border Na(+)/H(+) exchangers NHE2 and NHE3 alter net bicarbonate movement. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2001;281:G159-63 pubmed
- Rehling P, Darsow T, Katzmann D, Emr S. Formation of AP-3 transport intermediates requires Vps41 function. Nat Cell Biol. 1999;1:346-53 pubmed..Vps41 binds to the AP-3 delta-adaptin subunit, suggesting that they function together in the formation of ALP pathway transport intermediates at the late Golgi. ..
- Darsow T, Burd C, Emr S. Acidic di-leucine motif essential for AP-3-dependent sorting and restriction of the functional specificity of the Vam3p vacuolar t-SNARE. J Cell Biol. 1998;142:913-22 pubmed..Regulated transport of cargoes such as Vam3p through the AP-3-dependent pathway may play an important role in maintaining the unique composition, function, and morphology of the vacuole. ..
- Florkiewicz R, Anchin J, Baird A. The inhibition of fibroblast growth factor-2 export by cardenolides implies a novel function for the catalytic subunit of Na+,K+-ATPase. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:544-51 pubmed
- Ahn K, Gruhler A, Galocha B, Jones T, Wiertz E, Ploegh H, et al. The ER-luminal domain of the HCMV glycoprotein US6 inhibits peptide translocation by TAP. Immunity. 1997;6:613-21 pubmed..Thus, HCMV targets TAP for immune escape by a molecular mechanism different from that of herpes simplex virus...