Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on biological models in Davis, California, United States
Locale: Davis, California, United States
Topic: biological models
Publications107 found, 100 shown here
- Boyko R, Marshall A. Using simulation models to evaluate ape nest survey techniques. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e10754 pubmed publisher..Marked recount survey methods with sufficient sampling effort hold promise for detecting population declines. ..
- Plesha M, Huang T, Dandekar A, Falk B, McDonald K. Optimization of the bioprocessing conditions for scale-up of transient production of a heterologous protein in plants using a chemically inducible viral amplicon expression system. Biotechnol Prog. 2009;25:722-34 pubmed publisher..7) and (140 +/- 10) mg per kg fresh weight leaf tissue at 6 days post-induction. Use of harvested plant tissue with vacuum infiltration and induction demonstrates a bioprocessing route that is fully amenable to scale-up. ..
- Schreiber S. Interactive effects of temporal correlations, spatial heterogeneity and dispersal on population persistence. Proc Biol Sci. 2010;277:1907-14 pubmed publisher..Moreover, temporal autocorrelations, whether they be negative or positive, can enhance population growth for optimal dispersal strategies. ..
- Akbar S, Gaidenko T, Kang C, O REILLY M, Devine K, Price C. New family of regulators in the environmental signaling pathway which activates the general stress transcription factor sigma(B) of Bacillus subtilis. J Bacteriol. 2001;183:1329-38 pubmed
- Long S, Van de Water J, Gershwin M. Antimitochondrial antibodies in primary biliary cirrhosis: the role of xenobiotics. Autoimmun Rev. 2002;1:37-42 pubmed..e. chemicals) exposure. In particular, we postulate that halogenated compounds will bind to the autoantigen, break tolerance, and lead to an intense mucosal response. ..
- Gohil K, Schock B, Chakraborty A, Terasawa Y, Raber J, Farese R, et al. Gene expression profile of oxidant stress and neurodegeneration in transgenic mice deficient in alpha-tocopherol transfer protein. Free Radic Biol Med. 2003;35:1343-54 pubmed..The repression of specific genes that determine synaptic plasticity and neuronal development may account for suppressed electrophysiological activities of cortex and impaired behavior in Ttpa(-/-) mice. ..
- Brust Mascher I, Civelekoglu Scholey G, Kwon M, Mogilner A, Scholey J. Model for anaphase B: role of three mitotic motors in a switch from poleward flux to spindle elongation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004;101:15938-43 pubmed
- Curry F. Microvascular solute and water transport. Microcirculation. 2005;12:17-31 pubmed
- Branscum A, Gardner I, Johnson W. Estimation of diagnostic-test sensitivity and specificity through Bayesian modeling. Prev Vet Med. 2005;68:145-63 pubmed..The WinBUGS code used to fit each model, which is available at http://www.epi.ucdavis.edu/diagnos-tictests/, can be altered readily to conform to different data. ..
- Hristova K, Schmidt R, Chakicherla A, Legler T, Wu J, Chain P, et al. Comparative transcriptome analysis of Methylibium petroleiphilum PM1 exposed to the fuel oxygenates methyl tert-butyl ether and ethanol. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2007;73:7347-57 pubmed..petroleiphilum PM1 and aided our understanding of the regulation of metabolic processes that may occur in response to pollutant mixtures and perturbations in the environment. ..
- Sugitani R, Medvedev E, Stuchebrukhov A. Theoretical and computational analysis of the membrane potential generated by cytochrome c oxidase upon single electron injection into the enzyme. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2008;1777:1129-39 pubmed publisher..The analysis also suggests that the dielectric distance from the P-side to Fe a is 0.4 or larger. The difficulties and pitfalls of quantitative interpretation of potentiometric data are discussed. ..
- Bali R, Savino L, Ramirez D, Tsvetkova N, BAGATOLLI L, Tablin F, et al. Macroscopic domain formation during cooling in the platelet plasma membrane: an issue of low cholesterol content. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2009;1788:1229-37 pubmed publisher..In addition, the low cholesterol content in platelets ( approximately 15 mol%), appears to be crucial for the formation of large domains during cooling. ..
- Hawkes W, Wang T, Alkan Z, Richter B, Dawson K. Selenoprotein W modulates control of cell cycle entry. Biol Trace Elem Res. 2009;131:229-44 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that SEPW1 and the G1/S transition are physiological targets of Se in breast and prostate epithelial cells. ..
- Pagnussat G, Alandete Saez M, Bowman J, Sundaresan V. Auxin-dependent patterning and gamete specification in the Arabidopsis female gametophyte. Science. 2009;324:1684-9 pubmed publisher..These findings may account for the unique egg cell specification characteristic of angiosperms and the formation of seeds with single diploid embryos while containing endosperm that can have variable numbers of parental haploid genomes. ..
- Vu K, Weksler B, Romero I, Couraud P, Gelli A. Immortalized human brain endothelial cell line HCMEC/D3 as a model of the blood-brain barrier facilitates in vitro studies of central nervous system infection by Cryptococcus neoformans. Eukaryot Cell. 2009;8:1803-7 pubmed publisher..Here we demonstrate that the immortalized human brain endothelial cell line HCMEC/D3 is a useful alternative to primary brain endothelial cells as a model of the blood-brain barrier for studies of central nervous system infection. ..
- Nichkova M, Dosev D, Gee S, Hammock B, Kennedy I. Multiplexed immunoassays for proteins using magnetic luminescent nanoparticles for internal calibration. Anal Biochem. 2007;369:34-40 pubmed..The method uses a standard bench plate reader. It can be applied to disease diagnostics and to the detection of biological threats. ..
- Bates T, Thurmond M, Carpenter T. Direct and indirect contact rates among beef, dairy, goat, sheep, and swine herds in three California counties, with reference to control of potential foot-and-mouth disease transmission. Am J Vet Res. 2001;62:1121-9 pubmed..Knowledge of contact rates may be useful for planning biosecurity programs at the herd, state, and national levels and for modeling transmission potential for foot-and-mouth disease virus. ..
- DeClerck F, Barbour M, Sawyer J. Species richness and stand stability in conifer forests of the Sierra Nevada. Ecology. 2006;87:2787-99 pubmed..In contrast resilience measures the capacity of communities to partition resources in the absence of a single limiting resource, demonstrating positive diversity effects...
- Lin P, Kreutzer U, Jue T. Anisotropy and temperature dependence of myoglobin translational diffusion in myocardium: implication for oxygen transport and cellular architecture. Biophys J. 2007;92:2608-20 pubmed..Moreover, the similar Q10 for the DMb of solution versus cell Mb suggests that any temperature-dependent alteration of the postulated cell matrix does not significantly affect protein mobility. ..
- Barker C, Reisen W, Kramer V. California state Mosquito-Borne Virus Surveillance and Response Plan: a retrospective evaluation using conditional simulations. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2003;68:508-18 pubmed..For SLE, assignment of higher risk to drier conditions as measured by rainfall and runoff yielded the most accurate representation of actual virus activity during all recent study periods...
- Lu L, Lee Y, Pan R, Maloof J, Liu B. An internal motor kinesin is associated with the Golgi apparatus and plays a role in trichome morphogenesis in Arabidopsis. Mol Biol Cell. 2005;16:811-23 pubmed..Our results also indicate that plant kinesins in the MCAK/Kinesin-13 subfamily have evolved to take on different tasks than their animal counterparts. ..
- Tolla D, Savageau M. Regulation of aerobic-to-anaerobic transitions by the FNR cycle in Escherichia coli. J Mol Biol. 2010;397:893-905 pubmed publisher..Finally, we predicted the dynamics of the aerobic-to-anaerobic transition and determined distinct contributions to the dynamic profile of regulatory mechanisms operating at the transcriptional and post-translational levels. ..
- Sharp D, Yu K, Sisson J, Sullivan W, Scholey J. Antagonistic microtubule-sliding motors position mitotic centrosomes in Drosophila early embryos. Nat Cell Biol. 1999;1:51-4 pubmed..Our data indicate that KLP61F and Ncd may function by crosslinking and sliding antiparallel spindle microtubules in relation to one another, allowing KLP61F to push centrosomes apart and Ncd to pull them together. ..
- Privalsky M. Activation incarnate. Dev Cell. 2003;5:1-2 pubmed..Three new publications reveal that the nuclear receptors LRH-1, DHR38, and Nurr1 can assume active conformations in the absence of a ligand agonist. These reports help elucidate how transcriptional regulators are themselves regulated. ..
- Hofmann N, Theg S. Physcomitrella patens as a model for the study of chloroplast protein transport: conserved machineries between vascular and non-vascular plants. Plant Mol Biol. 2003;53:621-32 pubmed..These findings identify P. patens as a potentially useful tool for combining genetic and biochemical approaches for the study of chloroplast protein targeting. ..
- Lin C, Isbell M, Morin D, Boland B, Salemi M, Jewell W, et al. Characterization of a structurally intact in situ lung model and comparison of naphthalene protein adducts generated in this model vs lung microsomes. Chem Res Toxicol. 2005;18:802-13 pubmed..The proteins adducted and identified from in situ incubations were not the same proteins identified from microsomal incubations. ..
- Tatebe H, Shiozaki K. Identification of Cdc37 as a novel regulator of the stress-responsive mitogen-activated protein kinase. Mol Cell Biol. 2003;23:5132-42 pubmed..These results suggest that Spc1 SAPK is a novel client protein for the Cdc37 chaperone, and the Cdc37 function is important to maintain the stability of the Spc1 protein and to facilitate stress signaling from Wis1 MAPKK to Spc1 SAPK. ..
- Martin Tryon E, Harmer S. XAP5 CIRCADIAN TIMEKEEPER coordinates light signals for proper timing of photomorphogenesis and the circadian clock in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell. 2008;20:1244-59 pubmed publisher..Downregulation of the XCT ortholog in Caenorhabditis elegans is lethal, suggesting that studies in Arabidopsis may be instrumental to understanding the biochemical activity of XCT...
- Tomczak M, Vigh L, Meyer J, Manning M, Hincha D, Crowe J. Lipid unsaturation determines the interaction of AFP type I with model membranes during thermotropic phase transitions. Cryobiology. 2002;45:135-42 pubmed..The results indicate that the liposomes and protein still interact, even following hydrogenation of the acyl chains, perhaps at the membrane-solution interface. ..
- Pearcy R, Muraoka H, Valladares F. Crown architecture in sun and shade environments: assessing function and trade-offs with a three-dimensional simulation model. New Phytol. 2005;166:791-800 pubmed..Simulations reveal that without these structural protections photoinhibition of photosynthesis is likely to be much greater with daily carbon gain significantly reduced. ..
- Khan E, Heidinger J, Levy M, Lisanti M, Ravid T, Goldkorn T. Epidermal growth factor receptor exposed to oxidative stress undergoes Src- and caveolin-1-dependent perinuclear trafficking. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:14486-93 pubmed..Thus, oxidative stress may have a role in tumorigenesis by not only activating the EGFR but also by promoting prolonged activation of the receptor both at the plasma membrane and within the cell. ..
- Gallegos A, Mazzag B, Mogilner A. Two continuum models for the spreading of myxobacteria swarms. Bull Math Biol. 2006;68:837-61 pubmed..The model predictions agree with the data on spreading rate dependence on the type of gliding motility. ..
- Wong E, Wagner J, Gorsich S, McCaffery J, Shaw J, Nunnari J. The dynamin-related GTPase, Mgm1p, is an intermembrane space protein required for maintenance of fusion competent mitochondria. J Cell Biol. 2000;151:341-52 pubmed
- Tieu Q, Nunnari J. Mdv1p is a WD repeat protein that interacts with the dynamin-related GTPase, Dnm1p, to trigger mitochondrial division. J Cell Biol. 2000;151:353-66 pubmed
- Simon S, Green C. Molecular mechanics and dynamics of leukocyte recruitment during inflammation. Annu Rev Biomed Eng. 2005;7:151-85 pubmed..This, in turn, activates beta(2)-integrin (CD18), which facilitates cell capture and arrest in shear flow. This review provides a conceptual model for the molecular events supporting leukocyte recruitment. ..
- Xu Y, Zhang J, Chen X. The activity of p53 is differentially regulated by Brm- and Brg1-containing SWI/SNF chromatin remodeling complexes. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:37429-35 pubmed..Thus, we hypothesize that the potential tumor suppressor function for Brg1 is mediated in part through the p53 pathway. ..
- Muller H, Chiou J, Leng X. Inferring gene expression dynamics via functional regression analysis. BMC Bioinformatics. 2008;9:60 pubmed publisher..Functional regression emerges as a useful tool for relating gene expression patterns from different developmental stages, and avoids the problems with large numbers of parameters and multiple testing that affect alternative approaches. ..
- Sciullo E, Vogel C, Li W, Matsumura F. Initial and extended inflammatory messages of the nongenomic signaling pathway of the TCDD-activated Ah receptor in U937 macrophages. Arch Biochem Biophys. 2008;480:143-55 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, this pathway does not require the participation of ARNT, thus distinguishing itself from the classical genomic pathway. ..
- Fujisawa Y, Kato K, Giulivi C. Nitration of tyrosine residues 368 and 345 in the beta-subunit elicits FoF1-ATPase activity loss. Biochem J. 2009;423:219-31 pubmed publisher..Nitration at this residue would be more relevant under conditions of low nitrative stress. Conversely, at high nitrative stress conditions, both tyrosine residues would contribute equally to ATPase inactivation. ..
- Marty G, Hulson P, Miller S, Quinn T, Moffitt S, Merizon R. Failure of population recovery in relation to disease in Pacific herring. Dis Aquat Organ. 2010;90:1-14 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, disease information can be used to explain and predict changes in populations that have confounded traditional fisheries assessment...
- Lucas W, Lee J. Plasmodesmata as a supracellular control network in plants. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol. 2004;5:712-26 pubmed..In higher plants, this pathway involves the trafficking of proteins and various forms of RNA that function non-cell-autonomously to affect developmental programmes...
- Sarantos M, Raychaudhuri S, Lum A, Staunton D, Simon S. Leukocyte function-associated antigen 1-mediated adhesion stability is dynamically regulated through affinity and valency during bond formation with intercellular adhesion molecule-1. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:28290-8 pubmed..These data reveal the respective importance of LFA-1 affinity and proximity in tuning bond lifetime with ICAM-1 and demonstrate a nonlinear increase in the bond lifetime of the dimer versus the monomer at higher affinity. ..
- Cytrynbaum E, Sommi P, Brust Mascher I, Scholey J, Mogilner A. Early spindle assembly in Drosophila embryos: role of a force balance involving cytoskeletal dynamics and nuclear mechanics. Mol Biol Cell. 2005;16:4967-81 pubmed..Thus, the force-balance driving early spindle morphogenesis depends upon MT-based motors acting in concert with the cortex and nucleus. ..
- Wright J, Davies K, Lau J, McCall A, McKay J. Experimental verification of ecological niche modeling in a heterogeneous environment. Ecology. 2006;87:2433-9 pubmed..Our results show that substantial niche divergence has occurred in our sample of four study populations, illustrating the importance of adequately sampling and describing within-species variation in niche modeling. ..
- Caldwell C, Green R, Kaplan K. APC mutations lead to cytokinetic failures in vitro and tetraploid genotypes in Min mice. J Cell Biol. 2007;178:1109-20 pubmed..We provide direct evidence that the dominant activity of APC mutants induces aneuploidy in vivo. Our data support a model whereby tetraploid cells represent a first step in the onset of genomic instability and colorectal cancer. ..
- Aslam D, VanderGheynst J, Rumsey T. Development of models for predicting carbon mineralization and associated phytotoxicity in compost-amended soil. Bioresour Technol. 2008;99:8735-41 pubmed publisher..Mineralizable carbon estimated using the first-order model was significantly correlated to the probability of phytotoxicity in compost-amended soil...
- Koenraadt C, Aldstadt J, Kijchalao U, Sithiprasasna R, Getis A, Jones J, et al. Spatial and temporal patterns in pupal and adult production of the dengue vector Aedes aegypti in Kamphaeng Phet, Thailand. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2008;79:230-8 pubmed..Except for 2 (of 16) occasions, pupal, and adult populations were correlated strongly in time and space. Our results are consistent with application of the pupal survey technique for assessing dengue transmission risk. ..
- Jiang C, Aston J, Wang J. Smoothing dynamic positron emission tomography time courses using functional principal components. Neuroimage. 2009;47:184-93 pubmed publisher..This preprocessing step to smooth the data then allows subsequent analysis by methods such as Spectral Analysis to be substantially improved in terms of their mean squared error. ..
- Qin S, Seo J, Zhang H, Qi J, Curry F, Ferrara K. An imaging-driven model for liposomal stability and circulation. Mol Pharm. 2010;7:12-21 pubmed publisher..Finally, we develop a transport constant for the transport of liposomes from the blood pool to the tumor interstitium, which is on the order of 0.01 h(-1) for the Met-1 tumor system...
- Barker C, Johnson W, Eldridge B, Park B, Melton F, Reisen W. Temporal connections between Culex tarsalis abundance and transmission of western equine encephalomyelitis virus in California. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2010;82:1185-93 pubmed publisher..The critical time windows identified in our study highlight the need for surveillance of vector populations and forecasting models to guide proactive vector control measures before the detection of transmission to sentinel chickens...
- Thomas B, Inouhe M, Simmons C, Nevins D. Endo-1,3;1,4-beta-glucanase from coleoptiles of rice and maize: role in the regulation of plant growth. Int J Biol Macromol. 2000;27:145-9 pubmed..Thus, the coleoptile endo-glucanase enzyme should be classified as a new enzyme group (E.C. 3.2.1.xx). These discoveries enable new initiatives for further investigation of the glucanase role in control of plant growth. ..
- Harmon F, Kowalczykowski S. Biochemical characterization of the DNA helicase activity of the escherichia coli RecQ helicase. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:232-43 pubmed..Thus, we conclude that SSB protein stimulates RecQ helicase-mediated unwinding by both trapping the separated ssDNA strands after unwinding and preventing the formation of non-productive enzyme-ssDNA complexes. ..
- Dillingham M, Kowalczykowski S. A step backward in advancing DNA replication: rescue of stalled replication forks by RecG. Mol Cell. 2001;8:734-6 pubmed..This structure shows how RecG can recognize branched DNA structures and suggests a mechanism for fork reversal, an early event in recombination-dependent reinitiation of DNA replication. ..
- Dilova I, Chen C, Powers T. Mks1 in concert with TOR signaling negatively regulates RTG target gene expression in S. cerevisiae. Curr Biol. 2002;12:389-95 pubmed..This latter result provides a molecular explanation for the previous identification of MKS1 as LYS80, a negative regulator of lysine biosynthesis . ..
- Allen M, Prusinkiewicz P, DeJong T. Using L-systems for modeling source-sink interactions, architecture and physiology of growing trees: the L-PEACH model. New Phytol. 2005;166:869-80 pubmed..The model is applied to simulate a tree's response to fruit thinning and changes in water stress. L-PEACH may be used to assist in horticultural decision-making processes after being calibrated to specific trees. ..
- Ou G, Koga M, Blacque O, Murayama T, Ohshima Y, Schafer J, et al. Sensory ciliogenesis in Caenorhabditis elegans: assignment of IFT components into distinct modules based on transport and phenotypic profiles. Mol Biol Cell. 2007;18:1554-69 pubmed
- Shan Y, Napoli E, Cortopassi G. Mitochondrial frataxin interacts with ISD11 of the NFS1/ISCU complex and multiple mitochondrial chaperones. Hum Mol Genet. 2007;16:929-41 pubmed..These data suggest that frataxin binds the iron-sulfur biogenesis Nfs1/ISCU complex through ISD11, that the interaction is nickel-dependent, and that multiple consequences of frataxin deficiency are duplicated by ISD11 deficiency...
- Scholey J. Kinesin-5 in Drosophila embryo mitosis: sliding filament or spindle matrix mechanism?. Cell Motil Cytoskeleton. 2009;66:500-8 pubmed publisher..Cell Motil. Cytoskeleton 2009. (c) 2009 Wiley-Liss, Inc. ..
- Lackner L, Horner J, Nunnari J. Mechanistic analysis of a dynamin effector. Science. 2009;325:874-7 pubmed publisher..The nucleation of DRP assembly probably represents a general regulatory strategy for this family of filament-forming proteins, similar to F-actin regulation. ..
- Lee J, Lucas W. Phosphorylation of viral movement proteins--regulation of cell-to-cell trafficking. Trends Microbiol. 2001;9:5-8; discussion 8 pubmed..Plasmodesmal-associated protein kinases could play a central role in plant defense, in addition to regulating the translatability of endogenous MP-mRNA complexes that function at a supracellular level. ..
- Dillingham M, Spies M, Kowalczykowski S. RecBCD enzyme is a bipolar DNA helicase. Nature. 2003;423:893-7 pubmed..This bipolar motor organization helps to explain various biochemical properties of RecBCD, notably its exceptionally high speed and processivity, and offers a mechanistic insight into aspects of RecBCD function. ..
- Penrod J, Roth J. Conserving a volatile metabolite: a role for carboxysome-like organelles in Salmonella enterica. J Bacteriol. 2006;188:2865-74 pubmed..The EutG enzyme converts acetaldehyde to ethanol, which may improve carbon retention by forming acetals; alternatively, EutG may recycle NADH within the carboxysome...
- Napoli E, Taroni F, Cortopassi G. Frataxin, iron-sulfur clusters, heme, ROS, and aging. Antioxid Redox Signal. 2006;8:506-16 pubmed..This suggests that heme defects late in the electron transport chain of mutants are responsible for increased mutant superoxide. The impact of ISC and heme defects on ROS production with age are discussed. ..
- Easlon E, Tsang F, Dilova I, Wang C, Lu S, Skinner C, et al. The dihydrolipoamide acetyltransferase is a novel metabolic longevity factor and is required for calorie restriction-mediated life span extension. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:6161-71 pubmed..CR may therefore also extend life span and ameliorate age-associated diseases by increasing metabolic fitness through regulating central metabolic enzymes. ..
- Qin S, Caskey C, Ferrara K. Ultrasound contrast microbubbles in imaging and therapy: physical principles and engineering. Phys Med Biol. 2009;54:R27-57 pubmed publisher..In this review, we focus on the physical aspects of these agents, exploring microbubble imaging modes, models for microbubble oscillation and the interaction of the microbubble with the endothelium. ..
- Krubitzer L. In search of a unifying theory of complex brain evolution. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2009;1156:44-67 pubmed publisher..While this cortical plasticity is a defining feature of mammalian neocortex, it appears to be exaggerated in humans and could be considered a unique derivation of our species. ..
- Ju K, Parales R. Nitroaromatic compounds, from synthesis to biodegradation. Microbiol Mol Biol Rev. 2010;74:250-72 pubmed publisher..The possible evolutionary origins of the newly evolved pathways are also discussed. ..
- Balaban N, Goldkorn T, Gov Y, Hirshberg M, Koyfman N, Matthews H, et al. Regulation of Staphylococcus aureus pathogenesis via target of RNAIII-activating Protein (TRAP). J Biol Chem. 2001;276:2658-67 pubmed..Furthermore, TRAP phosphorylation is down-regulated in the presence of AIP, suggesting that a network of signal transduction pathways regulate S. aureus pathogenesis...
- Cytrynbaum E, Scholey J, Mogilner A. A force balance model of early spindle pole separation in Drosophila embryos. Biophys J. 2003;84:757-69 pubmed
- Meeusen S, McCaffery J, Nunnari J. Mitochondrial fusion intermediates revealed in vitro. Science. 2004;305:1747-52 pubmed..Our conclusions provide fundamental insights into the molecular events driving mitochondrial fusion and advance our understanding of the evolution of mitochondrial fusion in eukaryotic cells. ..
- Tucker R, Chiquet Ehrismann R. Teneurins: a conserved family of transmembrane proteins involved in intercellular signaling during development. Dev Biol. 2006;290:237-45 pubmed..Teneurin function appears to be required for a fundamentally important signaling mechanism conserved between invertebrates and vertebrates having an impact on many processes relying on cell-cell contact throughout development. ..
- Igoshin O, Price C, Savageau M. Signalling network with a bistable hysteretic switch controls developmental activation of the sigma transcription factor in Bacillus subtilis. Mol Microbiol. 2006;61:165-84 pubmed publisher..The model also clarifies the contributions of the partly redundant mechanisms that ensure correct spatial and temporal activation of sigmaF, reproduces the behaviour of various mutants and makes strong, testable predictions...
- Gohil K, Oommen S, Vasu V, Aung H, Cross C. Tocopherol transfer protein deficiency modifies nuclear receptor transcriptional networks in lungs: modulation by cigarette smoke in vivo. Mol Aspects Med. 2007;28:453-80 pubmed
- Haygood R, Turelli M. Evolution of incompatibility-inducing microbes in subdivided host populations. Evolution. 2009;63:432-47 pubmed publisher..Selection acting through transfer between host species may be required to explain the prevalence of CI. ..
- Oddone G, Mills D, Block D. A dynamic, genome-scale flux model of Lactococcus lactis to increase specific recombinant protein expression. Metab Eng. 2009;11:367-81 pubmed publisher..A genome-scale DFBA model for L. lactis growing on M17 medium is presented along with the procedure for screening gene targets and a powerful method for visualizing fluxes in genome-scale metabolic networks. ..
- Baskett M, Salomon A. Recruitment facilitation can drive alternative states on temperate reefs. Ecology. 2010;91:1763-73 pubmed..In systems with such dynamics, spatial management such as no-take marine reserves may play a crucial role in protecting community structure by increasing the resilience to shifts between states. ..
- Stanton M, Roy B, Thiede D. Evolution in stressful environments. I. Phenotypic variability, phenotypic selection, and response to selection in five distinct environmental stresses. Evolution. 2000;54:93-111 pubmed..arvensis toward a stress-avoidance strategy, rather than toward stress tolerance. Further studies will be needed to determine when selection in stressful environments leads to these alternative life-history strategies. ..
- Kim S, Lieth J. A coupled model of photosynthesis, stomatal conductance and transpiration for a rose leaf (Rosa hybrida L.). Ann Bot. 2003;91:771-81 pubmed..The coupled model developed in this study can be used to assist growers making environmental control decisions in glasshouse production...
- Tryon R, White S, Famula T, Schultheiss P, Hamar D, Bannasch D. Inheritance of hereditary equine regional dermal asthenia in Quarter Horses. Am J Vet Res. 2005;66:437-42 pubmed..To assess heritability and mode of inheritance for hereditary equine regional dermal asthenia (HERDA) in Quarter Horses...
- Civelekoglu Scholey G, Sharp D, Mogilner A, Scholey J. Model of chromosome motility in Drosophila embryos: adaptation of a general mechanism for rapid mitosis. Biophys J. 2006;90:3966-82 pubmed
- Morishita M, Mendonsa R, Wright J, Engebrecht J. Snc1p v-SNARE transport to the prospore membrane during yeast sporulation is dependent on endosomal retrieval pathways. Traffic. 2007;8:1231-45 pubmed..Taken together, these results indicate that retrograde trafficking from the endosome is essential for sporulation by retrieving molecules important for PSM and spore wall formation. ..
- Ram K, Preisser E, Gruner D, Strong D. Metapopulation dynamics override local limits on long-term parasite persistence. Ecology. 2008;89:3290-7 pubmed..As a result, we concluded that metapopulation dynamics override limitations set by local and short-term abiotic conditions to determine long-term persistence in this parasite-driven trophic cascade. ..
- Mole P, Hoffmann J. VO(2) kinetics of mild exercise are altered by RER. J Appl Physiol (1985). 1999;87:2097-106 pubmed..Therefore, the kinetic model can quantify the dynamics of fat and CHO oxidation over the first 5-10 min of mild exercise in young adult men and women...
- Mogilner A, Oster G. Cell biology. Shrinking gels pull cells. Science. 2003;302:1340-1 pubmed
- Preisser E, Dugaw C, Dennis B, Strong D. Plant facilitation of a belowground predator. Ecology. 2006;87:1116-23 pubmed..Similar cases of predator facilitation in seasonally stressful environments are probably common in nature...
- Pullar C, Baier B, Kariya Y, Russell A, Horst B, Marinkovich M, et al. beta4 integrin and epidermal growth factor coordinately regulate electric field-mediated directional migration via Rac1. Mol Biol Cell. 2006;17:4925-35 pubmed