Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on animals in San Diego, California, United States
Locale: San Diego, California, United States
Publications481 found, 100 shown here
- Bengal E, Ransone L, Scharfmann R, Dwarki V, Tapscott S, Weintraub H, et al. Functional antagonism between c-Jun and MyoD proteins: a direct physical association. Cell. 1992;68:507-19 pubmed..We demonstrate that both in vivo and in vitro MyoD and Jun proteins physically interact. Mutational analysis suggests that this interaction occurs via the leucine zipper domain of Jun and the helix-loop-helix region of MyoD. ..
- Ciaraldi T, Brady D. Comparisons of insulin and biosynthetic human proinsulin actions in cultured hepatocytes. Kinetics and biologic potencies. Horm Metab Res. 1990;22:283-8 pubmed..This fact, together with the similarity of kinetics of action, suggest that the in vivo hepatoselectivity of HPro is not a property of the target cell itself. ..
- Wang H, Lin W, Dyck J, Yeakley J, Songyang Z, Cantley L, et al. SRPK2: a differentially expressed SR protein-specific kinase involved in mediating the interaction and localization of pre-mRNA splicing factors in mammalian cells. J Cell Biol. 1998;140:737-50 pubmed..Together, our studies suggest that different SRPK family members may be uniquely regulated and targeted, thereby contributing to splicing regulation in different tissues, during development, or in response to signaling. ..
- de Vries L, Elenko E, McCaffery J, Fischer T, Hubler L, McQuistan T, et al. RGS-GAIP, a GTPase-activating protein for Galphai heterotrimeric G proteins, is located on clathrin-coated vesicles. Mol Biol Cell. 1998;9:1123-34 pubmed..The presence of GAIP on CCVs suggests a model whereby a GAP is separated in space from its target G protein with the two coming into contact at the time of vesicle fusion...
- Vera D, Wallace A, Hoh C, Mattrey R. A synthetic macromolecule for sentinel node detection: (99m)Tc-DTPA-mannosyl-dextran. J Nucl Med. 2001;42:951-9 pubmed..We report the synthesis and preliminary biologic testing of a synthetic macromolecule, (99m)Tc-diethylenetriaminepentaacetic acid (DTPA)--mannosyl-dextran, for sentinel node detection...
- Leibowitz M, Ardecky R, Boehm M, Broderick C, Carfagna M, Crombie D, et al. Biological characterization of a heterodimer-selective retinoid X receptor modulator: potential benefits for the treatment of type 2 diabetes. Endocrinology. 2006;147:1044-53 pubmed..Therefore, selective RXR modulators are a promising approach for developing improved therapies for type 2 diabetes, although additional studies are needed to understand the strain-specific effects on triglycerides. ..
- Grewal P, Uchiyama S, Ditto D, Varki N, Le D, Nizet V, et al. The Ashwell receptor mitigates the lethal coagulopathy of sepsis. Nat Med. 2008;14:648-55 pubmed publisher..Hemostatic adaptation by the Ashwell receptor moderates the onset and severity of disseminated intravascular coagulation during sepsis and improves the probability of host survival. ..
- Molinski T, Dalisay D, Lievens S, Saludes J. Drug development from marine natural products. Nat Rev Drug Discov. 2009;8:69-85 pubmed publisher..Providing an outlook into the future, we also examine the advances that may further expand the promise of drugs from the sea. ..
- Kunkel M, Garcia E, Kajimoto T, Hall R, Newton A. The protein scaffold NHERF-1 controls the amplitude and duration of localized protein kinase D activity. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:24653-61 pubmed publisher..Thus, live cell imaging of PKD activity demonstrates ultrasensitive control of kinase signaling at the scaffold compared with bulk activity in the cytosol or at the plasma membrane. ..
- Zhang M, Poh T, Louache F, Sundell I, Yuan J, Evans S, et al. Rescue of multi-lineage hematopoiesis during HIV-1 infection by human c-mpl gene transfer and reconstitution of CD34+ progenitor cells in vivo. J Stem Cells. 2009;4:161-77 pubmed..We propose a gene therapeutic strategy, with c-mpl as the major genetic component, to address the morbidity and mortality resulting from cytopenias in HIV infected patients. ..
- Bonaventure P, Aluisio L, Shoblock J, Boggs J, Fraser I, Lord B, et al. Pharmacological blockade of serotonin 5-HT? receptor reverses working memory deficits in rats by normalizing cortical glutamate neurotransmission. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e20210 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that 5-HT? receptor antagonists might reverse cognitive deficits associated with NMDA receptor hypofunction by selectively normalizing glutamatergic neurotransmission. ..
- Fanchiang S, Cojocaru R, Othman M, Khanna R, Brooks M, Smith T, et al. Global expression profiling of peripheral Qa-1-restricted CD8??+TCR??+ regulatory T cells reveals innate-like features: implications for immune-regulatory repertoire. Hum Immunol. 2012;73:214-22 pubmed publisher..These studies have important implications for the regulatory mechanisms mediated by the CD8(+) Treg population in general. ..
- Grossman E, Giurumescu C, Chisholm A. Mechanisms of ephrin receptor protein kinase-independent signaling in amphid axon guidance in Caenorhabditis elegans. Genetics. 2013;195:899-913 pubmed publisher..Overexpression of ABL-1 is sufficient to rescue EFN-1 ventral guidance defects cell autonomously. Our results reveal new aspects of Eph signaling in a single axon guidance decision in vivo. ..
- Bernardi M, Moreau R, Angeli P, Schnabl B, Arroyo V. Mechanisms of decompensation and organ failure in cirrhosis: From peripheral arterial vasodilation to systemic inflammation hypothesis. J Hepatol. 2015;63:1272-84 pubmed publisher..Thus, the picture of advanced cirrhosis could be seen as the result of an inflammatory syndrome in contradiction with a simple hemodynamic disturbance. ..
- Schiller D, Eichenbaum H, Buffalo E, Davachi L, Foster D, Leutgeb S, et al. Memory and Space: Towards an Understanding of the Cognitive Map. J Neurosci. 2015;35:13904-11 pubmed publisher..We argue that these findings cross the boundaries of the memory and spatial views and offer new insights into hippocampal function as a system supporting a broad range of cognitive maps. ..
- Rovira Vallbona E, Contreras Mancilla J, Ramirez R, Guzman Guzman M, Carrasco Escobar G, Llanos Cuentas A, et al. Predominance of asymptomatic and sub-microscopic infections characterizes the Plasmodium gametocyte reservoir in the Peruvian Amazon. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2017;11:e0005674 pubmed publisher..Control and elimination campaigns need sensitive tools to detect all infections that escape routine malaria surveillance, which may contribute to maintain transmission in the region. ..
- Liu Y, Peterson D, Kimura H, Schubert D. Mechanism of cellular 3-(4,5-dimethylthiazol-2-yl)-2,5-diphenyltetrazolium bromide (MTT) reduction. J Neurochem. 1997;69:581-93 pubmed..These and other results suggest that MTT is taken up by cells through endocytosis and that reduced MTT formazan accumulates in the endosomal/lysosomal compartment and is then transported to the cell surface through exocytosis. ..
- Crawford B, Olson S, Esko J, Pinhal M. Cloning, Golgi localization, and enzyme activity of the full-length heparin/heparan sulfate-glucuronic acid C5-epimerase. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:21538-43 pubmed..The amino-terminally truncated epimerase does not localize to any cellular compartment, whereas the full-length enzyme is in the Golgi, where heparan sulfate synthesis is thought to occur. ..
- Tyler J, Collins K, Prasad Sinha J, Amiott E, Bulger M, Harte P, et al. Interaction between the Drosophila CAF-1 and ASF1 chromatin assembly factors. Mol Cell Biol. 2001;21:6574-84 pubmed..This interaction between dCAF-1 and dASF1 may be a key component of the functional synergy observed between RCAF and dCAF-1 during the assembly of newly synthesized DNA into chromatin. ..
- Lesley J, English N, Gal I, Mikecz K, Day A, Hyman R. Hyaluronan binding properties of a CD44 chimera containing the link module of TSG-6. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:26600-8 pubmed..Instead, they stuck and remained "tethered" to the substrate under fluid flow. This result argues that the low affinity of CD44 for its ligand is important for rolling, an early phase of leukocyte extravasation from the blood. ..
- Liu F, Austin D, Webster N. Gonadotropin-releasing hormone-desensitized LbetaT2 gonadotrope cells are refractory to acute protein kinase C, cyclic AMP, and calcium-dependent signaling. Endocrinology. 2003;144:4354-65 pubmed..Sustained GnRH also desensitized PKC signaling by down-regulating the delta, epsilon, and theta isoforms of PKC. We further show that chronic GnRH treatment causes heterologous desensitization of other Gq-coupled receptors. ..
- Miller Y, Worrall D, Funk C, Feramisco J, Witztum J. Actin polymerization in macrophages in response to oxidized LDL and apoptotic cells: role of 12/15-lipoxygenase and phosphoinositide 3-kinase. Mol Biol Cell. 2003;14:4196-206 pubmed
- Givens M, Rave Harel N, Goonewardena V, Kurotani R, Berdy S, Swan C, et al. Developmental regulation of gonadotropin-releasing hormone gene expression by the MSX and DLX homeodomain protein families. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:19156-65 pubmed..These findings strongly support a role for MSX and DLX in contributing to spatiotemporal regulation of GnRH transcription during development. ..
- Thomson S, Deng A, Wead L, Richter K, Blantz R, Vallon V. An unexpected role for angiotensin II in the link between dietary salt and proximal reabsorption. J Clin Invest. 2006;116:1110-6 pubmed..These observations challenge the traditional model and indicate that the role of proximal tubular Ang II in salt-replete rats is to stabilize nephron function rather than to contribute to salt homeostasis. ..
- Bender V, Bender K, Brasier D, Feldman D. Two coincidence detectors for spike timing-dependent plasticity in somatosensory cortex. J Neurosci. 2006;26:4166-77 pubmed..These findings indicate that STDP is not a unitary process and suggest that endocannabinoid-dependent LTD may be relevant to cortical map plasticity. ..
- Hefferan M, Kucharova K, Kinjo K, Kakinohana O, Sekerkova G, Nakamura S, et al. Spinal astrocyte glutamate receptor 1 overexpression after ischemic insult facilitates behavioral signs of spasticity and rigidity. J Neurosci. 2007;27:11179-91 pubmed..These data suggest that an AMPA/kainate receptor antagonist can represent a novel therapy in modulating spasticity/rigidity of spinal origin and that astrocytes may be a potential target for such treatment. ..
- Patsouris D, Li P, Thapar D, Chapman J, Olefsky J, Neels J. Ablation of CD11c-positive cells normalizes insulin sensitivity in obese insulin resistant animals. Cell Metab. 2008;8:301-9 pubmed publisher..Together, these results indicate that these CD11c+ cells are a potential therapeutic target for treatment of obesity-related insulin resistance and type II diabetes. ..
- ..This review will focus on the basic research discoveries that have depended, in part, on the availability of the Plasmodium genome sequences. ..
- Timmer A, Timmer J, Pence M, Hsu L, Ghochani M, Frey T, et al. Streptolysin O promotes group A Streptococcus immune evasion by accelerated macrophage apoptosis. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:862-71 pubmed publisher..We conclude that accelerated, caspase-dependent macrophage apoptosis induced by the pore-forming cytolysin SLO contributes to GAS immune evasion and virulence. ..
- Safaei R, Maktabi M, Blair B, Larson C, Howell S. Effects of the loss of Atox1 on the cellular pharmacology of cisplatin. J Inorg Biochem. 2009;103:333-41 pubmed publisher..Ctr1 was found to be polyubiquitinated in an Atox1-dependent manner during CDDP exposure. In conclusion, Atox1 is required for the polyubiquitination of Ctr1 and the Ctr1-mediated uptake of CDDP. ..
- Roch M, Klinck H, Baumann Pickering S, Mellinger D, Qui S, Soldevilla M, et al. Classification of echolocation clicks from odontocetes in the Southern California Bight. J Acoust Soc Am. 2011;129:467-75 pubmed publisher..Long-beaked common and bottlenose dolphins proved the most difficult to classify, with mean error rates of 53% and 68%, respectively. ..
- Henry B, Geyer M, Buell M, Perry W, Young J, Minassian A. Prepulse inhibition in HIV-1 gp120 transgenic mice after withdrawal from chronic methamphetamine. Behav Pharmacol. 2014;25:12-22 pubmed publisher..In summary, PPI impairment in HIV could depend on factors such as sex, whereas changes in PPI following METH withdrawal may depend on the quantity and duration of drug exposure. ..
- McKeown M. Sex differentiation: the role of alternative splicing. Curr Opin Genet Dev. 1992;2:299-303 pubmed..The results of recent work have verified much of the earlier molecular and genetic work in this field and have provided a demonstration that both positive and negative regulatory mechanisms are involved. ..
- Lunde K, Biehs B, Nauber U, Bier E. The knirps and knirps-related genes organize development of the second wing vein in Drosophila. Development. 1998;125:4145-54 pubmed..We propose a model in which the combined activities of kni and knrl organize development of the L2 vein in the appropriate position. ..
- Moyer B, Allan B, Balch W. Rab1 interaction with a GM130 effector complex regulates COPII vesicle cis--Golgi tethering. Traffic. 2001;2:268-76 pubmed
- Morello C, Ye M, Spector D. Development of a vaccine against murine cytomegalovirus (MCMV), consisting of plasmid DNA and formalin-inactivated MCMV, that provides long-term, complete protection against viral replication. J Virol. 2002;76:4822-35 pubmed..Taken together, these results show that immunization with pDNA and inactivated virus provides strong antibody and cell-mediated immunity against CMV infection. ..
- Concepcion D, Seburn K, Wen G, Frankel W, Hamilton B. Mutation rate and predicted phenotypic target sizes in ethylnitrosourea-treated mice. Genetics. 2004;168:953-9 pubmed..This calibrates the nucleotide mutation rate for two mutagenesis centers, implies significance criteria for positional cloning efforts, and provides working estimates of effective genetic target sizes for selected phenotypes. ..
- Panneerselvam M, Tsutsumi Y, Bonds J, Horikawa Y, Saldana M, Dalton N, et al. Dark chocolate receptors: epicatechin-induced cardiac protection is dependent on delta-opioid receptor stimulation. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2010;299:H1604-9 pubmed publisher..Naloxone, naltrindole, and 5-HD attenuated these effects. In conclusion, epicatechin acts via opioid receptors and more specifically through the ?-opioid receptor to produce cardiac protection from ischemia-reperfusion injury. ..
- Hiroshima Y, Maawy A, Sato S, Murakami T, Uehara F, Miwa S, et al. Hand-held high-resolution fluorescence imaging system for fluorescence-guided surgery of patient and cell-line pancreatic tumors growing orthotopically in nude mice. J Surg Res. 2014;187:510-7 pubmed publisher..The results described in the present report suggest that the hand-held mobile imaging system can be applied to the clinic for FGS because of its convenient size and high sensitivity which should help make FGS widely used. ..
- Almenar Queralt A, Falzone T, Shen Z, Lillo C, Killian R, Arreola A, et al. UV irradiation accelerates amyloid precursor protein (APP) processing and disrupts APP axonal transport. J Neurosci. 2014;34:3320-39 pubmed publisher..Together, these results suggest that damage-induced APP processing might impair APP axonal transport, which could result in failure of synaptic maintenance and neuronal dysfunction. ..
- Sun W, Wu R, van Poelje P, Erion M. Isolation of a family of organic anion transporters from human liver and kidney. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2001;283:417-22 pubmed..These results indicate the existence of a family of organic anion transporting proteins in humans distinct from the oatp-like family of transporters. ..
- Sun X, Yang Z, Li S, Tan Y, Zhang N, Wang X, et al. In vivo efficacy of recombinant methioninase is enhanced by the combination of polyethylene glycol conjugation and pyridoxal 5'-phosphate supplementation. Cancer Res. 2003;63:8377-83 pubmed..Thus, the molecular modification of PEGylation confers critical new properties to rMETase for development as a cancer therapeutic. ..
- Givens M, Kurotani R, Rave Harel N, Miller N, Mellon P. Phylogenetic footprinting reveals evolutionarily conserved regions of the gonadotropin-releasing hormone gene that enhance cell-specific expression. Mol Endocrinol. 2004;18:2950-66 pubmed..These findings indicate a role for this upstream enhancer and novel OCT1/NF1 complexes in neuron-restricted expression of the GnRH gene. ..
- Jin H, Su J, Garmy Susini B, Kleeman J, Varner J. Integrin alpha4beta1 promotes monocyte trafficking and angiogenesis in tumors. Cancer Res. 2006;66:2146-52 pubmed..These studies further indicate that suppression of myeloid cell homing to tumors could be a useful supplementary approach to suppress tumor angiogenesis and growth. ..
- Shah M, Sakurai H, Gallegos T, Sweeney D, Bush K, Esko J, et al. Growth factor-dependent branching of the ureteric bud is modulated by selective 6-O sulfation of heparan sulfate. Dev Biol. 2011;356:19-27 pubmed publisher..2004). ..
- Abedinpour P, BARON V, Chrastina A, Welsh J, Borgstrom P. The combination of plumbagin with androgen withdrawal causes profound regression of prostate tumors in vivo. Prostate. 2013;73:489-99 pubmed publisher..Androgen deprivation in combination with plumbagin may provide a significant improvement over androgen deprivation alone and deserves further evaluation. ..
- Soriano S, Kang D, Fu M, Pestell R, Chevallier N, Zheng H, et al. Presenilin 1 negatively regulates beta-catenin/T cell factor/lymphoid enhancer factor-1 signaling independently of beta-amyloid precursor protein and notch processing. J Cell Biol. 2001;152:785-94 pubmed..Thus, PS1 adds to the molecules that are known to regulate the rapid turnover of beta-catenin. ..
- Ziegler M, Bao X, Kennedy B, Joyner A, Enns R. Location, development, control, and function of extraadrenal phenylethanolamine N-methyltransferase. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2002;971:76-82 pubmed..PNMT may also play a role in the regulation of fetal heart rate prior to development of the adrenal medulla. ..
- Shim J, Karin M. The control of mRNA stability in response to extracellular stimuli. Mol Cells. 2002;14:323-31 pubmed..This review provides a current knowledge of diverse extracellular signals contributing to stabilization of short-lived mRNA. ..
- Maaser C, Housley M, Iimura M, Smith J, Vallance B, Finlay B, et al. Clearance of Citrobacter rodentium requires B cells but not secretory immunoglobulin A (IgA) or IgM antibodies. Infect Immun. 2004;72:3315-24 pubmed..These results indicate that host defense against C. rodentium depends on B cells and IgG antibodies but does not require production or transepithelial transport of IgA or secreted IgM. ..
- Deng A, Wead L, Blantz R. Temporal adaptation of tubuloglomerular feedback: effects of COX-2. Kidney Int. 2004;66:2348-53 pubmed..Administration of COX-2 inhibitors prevented TGF temporal adaptation, identical to the effect of NOS I inhibition. Changes in intrarenal Ang II cannot explain this prevention of TGF temporal adaptation. ..
- Yu N, Atienza J, Bernard J, Blanc S, Zhu J, Wang X, et al. Real-time monitoring of morphological changes in living cells by electronic cell sensor arrays: an approach to study G protein-coupled receptors. Anal Chem. 2006;78:35-43 pubmed..Moreover, the noninvasive nature of the readout offers the added advantage of performing multiple treatments in the same well to study events such as desensitization and receptor cross-talk. ..
- Ruf W, Mueller B. Thrombin generation and the pathogenesis of cancer. Semin Thromb Hemost. 2006;32 Suppl 1:61-8 pubmed..Transmembrane serine proteases as well as matrix metalloproteinase are prime candidates for accessory pathways to regulate metastasis, tumor expansion, and angiogenesis dependent on specific features of the local tumor microenvironment. ..
- Kuei C, Sutton S, Bonaventure P, Pudiak C, Shelton J, Zhu J, et al. R3(BDelta23 27)R/I5 chimeric peptide, a selective antagonist for GPCR135 and GPCR142 over relaxin receptor LGR7: in vitro and in vivo characterization. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:25425-35 pubmed..Thus, R3(BDelta23-27)R/I5 should prove a useful tool for the further delineation of the functions of the relaxin-3/GPCR135 system. ..
- Root C, Velázquez Ulloa N, Monsalve G, Minakova E, Spitzer N. Embryonically expressed GABA and glutamate drive electrical activity regulating neurotransmitter specification. J Neurosci. 2008;28:4777-84 pubmed publisher..We find that calcium spikes are triggered by metabotropic GABA and glutamate receptors, which engage protein kinases A and C. The results reveal a novel role for embryonically expressed neurotransmitters. ..
- Patel H, Hamuro L, Chun B, Kawaraguchi Y, Quick A, Rebolledo B, et al. Disruption of protein kinase A localization using a trans-activator of transcription (TAT)-conjugated A-kinase-anchoring peptide reduces cardiac function. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:27632-40 pubmed publisher..Disruption of PKA localization with TAT-AKAD thus had negative effects on chronotropy, inotropy, and lusitropy, thereby indicating a key role for AKAP-targeted PKA in control of heart rate and contractile function. ..
- Ahlem C, White S, Page T, Frincke J. Differential metabolism of androst-5-ene-3?,17?-diol between rats, canines, monkeys and humans. Steroids. 2011;76:669-74 pubmed publisher..Accordingly, emulation of its anti-inflammatory activity in humans will require administration of an active native metabolite or a synthetic pharmaceutical derivative. ..
- Stout E, Morinaka B, Wang Y, Romo D, Molinski T. De novo synthesis of benzosceptrin C and nagelamide H from 7-15N-oroidin: implications for pyrrole-aminoimidazole alkaloid biosynthesis. J Nat Prod. 2012;75:527-30 pubmed publisher..In addition, a new nagelamide, didebromonagelamide A (5b), was isolated from S. caribica, representing the first report of a nagelamide-like compound from the Caribbean...
- CANDELARIO J, Tavakoli H, Chachisvilis M. PTH1 receptor is involved in mediating cellular response to long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e52583 pubmed publisher..Our findings demonstrate for the first time that LCPUFAs, EPA and DHA, can activate PTH1R receptor at nanomolar concentrations and consequently provide a putative molecular mechanism for the action of fatty acids in bone. ..
- Fang L, Choi S, Baek J, Liu C, Almazan F, Ulrich F, et al. Control of angiogenesis by AIBP-mediated cholesterol efflux. Nature. 2013;498:118-22 pubmed publisher..Our findings demonstrate that secreted AIBP positively regulates cholesterol efflux from endothelial cells and that effective cholesterol efflux is critical for proper angiogenesis...
- Lieber R, Ward S. Cellular mechanisms of tissue fibrosis. 4. Structural and functional consequences of skeletal muscle fibrosis. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2013;305:C241-52 pubmed publisher..Approaches used to study fibrosis in tissues, such as lung, kidney, and liver, need to be applied to studies of skeletal muscle to identify ways to prevent or even cure the devastating maladies of skeletal muscle. ..
- Kim M, Muto J, Gallo R. Hyaluronic acid oligosaccharides suppress TLR3-dependent cytokine expression in a TLR4-dependent manner. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e72421 pubmed publisher..These results show that oligo-HA acts through TLR4 and TRAF1 to inhibit TLR3-dependent inflammation. This observation illustrates the complex immunomodulatory action of endogenous products released after injury. ..
- Coleman B, Taylor P. Regulation of acetylcholinesterase expression during neuronal differentiation. J Biol Chem. 1996;271:4410-6 pubmed..A subsequent step associated with neurite outgrowth results in a transition from secretion of the tetrameric enzyme to its localization on the cell membrane. ..
- Pompeiano M, Blaschke A, Flavell R, Srinivasan A, Chun J. Decreased apoptosis in proliferative and postmitotic regions of the Caspase 3-deficient embryonic central nervous system. J Comp Neurol. 2000;423:1-12 pubmed
- Ware C. APRIL and BAFF connect autoimmunity and cancer. J Exp Med. 2000;192:F35-8 pubmed
- Towb P, Bergmann A, Wasserman S. The protein kinase Pelle mediates feedback regulation in the Drosophila Toll signaling pathway. Development. 2001;128:4729-36 pubmed..Our results point to a mechanism operating to modulate the domain or duration of signaling downstream from Tube and Pelle. ..
- Wolski L, Anderson R, Bowles A, Yochem P. Measuring hearing in the harbor seal (Phoca vitulina): comparison of behavioral and auditory brainstem response techniques. J Acoust Soc Am. 2003;113:629-37 pubmed
- Liu C, Eriste E, Sutton S, Chen J, Roland B, Kuei C, et al. Identification of relaxin-3/INSL7 as an endogenous ligand for the orphan G-protein-coupled receptor GPCR135. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:50754-64 pubmed..The identification of relaxin-3 as the ligand for GPCR135 provides the framework for the discovery of a new brainstem/hypothalamus circuitry. ..
- Li Y, Sedwick C, Hu J, Altman A. Role for protein kinase Ctheta (PKCtheta) in TCR/CD28-mediated signaling through the canonical but not the non-canonical pathway for NF-kappaB activation. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:1217-23 pubmed..PKC acts solely within the canonical pathway to activate NF-kappaB, and PKC deficiency impacts upon p100/p52 processing in a manner that is independent of NF-kappaB-induced kinase. ..
- Kim S, Popel A, Intaglietta M, Johnson P. Effect of erythrocyte aggregation at normal human levels on functional capillary density in rat spinotrapezius muscle. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2006;290:H941-7 pubmed..We conclude that the level of aggregability seen in healthy humans is an important determinant of FCD only at reduced arterial pressure. ..
- Yamasaki K, Schauber J, Coda A, Lin H, Dorschner R, Schechter N, et al. Kallikrein-mediated proteolysis regulates the antimicrobial effects of cathelicidins in skin. FASEB J. 2006;20:2068-80 pubmed..These observations demonstrate that the balance of proteolytic activity at an epithelial interface will control innate immune defense. ..
- van Oeveren A, Motamedi M, Mani N, Marschke K, Lopez F, Schrader W, et al. Discovery of 6-N,N-bis(2,2,2-trifluoroethyl)amino- 4-trifluoromethylquinolin-2(1H)-one as a novel selective androgen receptor modulator. J Med Chem. 2006;49:6143-6 pubmed..However, currently available androgens have many drawbacks. We identified 6-dialkylamino-4-trifluoromethylquinolin-2(1H)-ones as orally available tissue-selective androgen receptor modulators. ..
- Broderick K, Zhang T, Rangaswami H, Zeng Y, Zhao X, Boss G, et al. Guanosine 3',5'-cyclic monophosphate (cGMP)/cGMP-dependent protein kinase induce interleukin-6 transcription in osteoblasts. Mol Endocrinol. 2007;21:1148-62 pubmed..PKG regulation of the IL-6 promoter appeared to be of physiological significance, because inhibitors of the NO/cGMP/PKG signaling pathway largely prevented fluid shear stress-induced increases of IL-6 mRNA in UMR106 cells. ..
- Harkewicz R, Hartvigsen K, Almazan F, Dennis E, Witztum J, Miller Y. Cholesteryl ester hydroperoxides are biologically active components of minimally oxidized low density lipoprotein. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:10241-51 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that CE hydroperoxides constitute a class of biologically active components of mmLDL that may be relevant to proinflammatory activation of macrophages in atherosclerotic lesions. ..
- Hayashi T, Cottam H, Chan M, Jin G, Tawatao R, Crain B, et al. Mast cell-dependent anorexia and hypothermia induced by mucosal activation of Toll-like receptor 7. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2008;295:R123-32 pubmed publisher..Our results thus suggest that tissue mast cells may play a role in the anorexia induced by mucosal activation of TLR7. ..
- Herzog C, Brown L, Gammon D, Kruegel B, Lin R, Wilson A, et al. Expression, bioactivity, and safety 1 year after adeno-associated viral vector type 2-mediated delivery of neurturin to the monkey nigrostriatal system support cere-120 for Parkinson's disease. Neurosurgery. 2009;64:602-12; discussion 612-3 pubmed publisher..These findings reveal a wide safety margin for CERE-120 and collectively support the ongoing clinical testing of the efficacy and safety of CERE-120 in patients with Parkinson's disease. ..
- Cowden J, Zhang M, Dunford P, Thurmond R. The histamine H4 receptor mediates inflammation and pruritus in Th2-dependent dermal inflammation. J Invest Dermatol. 2010;130:1023-33 pubmed publisher..Therefore, the dual effects of H(4)R antagonists on pruritus and Th2-cell-mediated inflammation point to their therapeutic potential for the treatment of Th2-mediated skin disorders, including atopic dermatitis. ..
- Lee E, Rewolinski D. Evaluation of CXCR4 inhibition in the prevention and intervention model of laser-induced choroidal neovascularization. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2010;51:3666-72 pubmed publisher..A multiple receptor tyrosine kinase (RTK) inhibitor approach shows promise for the treatment of wet age-related macular degeneration...
- Walker S, Westin B, Deumens R, Grafe M, Yaksh T. Effects of intrathecal ketamine in the neonatal rat: evaluation of apoptosis and long-term functional outcome. Anesthesiology. 2010;113:147-59 pubmed publisher..This measure facilitates comparison of the relative safety of spinally administered analgesic agents. ..
- Stone E, Lee S, Ismail M, Fukuda M. Characterization of mice with targeted deletion of the gene encoding core 2 beta1,6-N-acetylglucosaminyltransferase-2. Methods Enzymol. 2010;479:155-72 pubmed publisher..L., Ismail, M. N., Lee, S. H., Luu, Y., Ramirez, K., Haslam, S. M., Ho, S. B., Dell, A., Fukuda, M. and Marth, J. D. (2009). Glycosyltransferase function in Core 2-type protein O-glycosylation. Mol. Cell. Biol. 29, 3370-3782]...
- Ting R, Aguilera T, Crisp J, Hall D, Eckelman W, Vera D, et al. Fast 18F labeling of a near-infrared fluorophore enables positron emission tomography and optical imaging of sentinel lymph nodes. Bioconjug Chem. 2010;21:1811-9 pubmed publisher..Facile incorporation of (18)F into a NIRF probe should promote many synergistic PET and NIRF combinations...
- Wu A, Whitney M, Crisp J, Friedman B, Tsien R, Nguyen Q. Improved facial nerve identification with novel fluorescently labeled probe. Laryngoscope. 2011;121:805-10 pubmed publisher..Use of F-NP41 resulted in accurate identification of facial nerve stumps several weeks following transection. Functional recovery was similar with and without the use of F-NP41. ..
- Jenikova G, Hruz P, Andersson M, Tejman Yarden N, Ferreira P, Andersen Y, et al. ?1-giardin based live heterologous vaccine protects against Giardia lamblia infection in a murine model. Vaccine. 2011;29:9529-37 pubmed publisher..Together. These results indicate that ?1-giardin is a suitable candidate antigen for a vaccine against giardiasis. ..
- Iwaisako K, Brenner D, Kisseleva T. What's new in liver fibrosis? The origin of myofibroblasts in liver fibrosis. J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2012;27 Suppl 2:65-8 pubmed publisher..It is suggested that hepatic injury of different etiology triggers the transdifferentiation to myofibroblasts from distinct cell populations. Here we discuss the origin and fate of myofibroblast in liver fibrosis. ..
- Guo C, McAlpine I, Zhang J, Knighton D, Kephart S, Johnson M, et al. Discovery of pyrroloaminopyrazoles as novel PAK inhibitors. J Med Chem. 2012;55:4728-39 pubmed publisher..In addition, the efflux of the pyrrolopyrazole series was effectively reduced by applying multiple medicinal chemistry strategies, leading to a series of PAK inhibitors that are orally active in inhibiting tumor growth in vivo. ..