Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on animals in Davis, California, United States
Locale: Davis, California, United States
Publications864 found, 100 shown here
- Gordon C, Hartono S, Chedin F. Inactive DNMT3B splice variants modulate de novo DNA methylation. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e69486 pubmed publisher..This may account for some of the changes in DNA methylation patterns observed during development and disease. ..
- Oduor A, Strauss S, García Y, Cascales M, Gómez J. Herbivores mediate different competitive and facilitative responses of native and invader populations of Brassica nigra. Ecology. 2013;94:2288-98 pubmed..Such interactions could potentially lead to different selection pressures on traits that determine antiherbivore defenses and plant-plant interactions...
- Chae J, Foley J, Dumler J, Madigan J. Comparison of the nucleotide sequences of 16S rRNA, 444 Ep-ank, and groESL heat shock operon genes in naturally occurring Ehrlichia equi and human granulocytic ehrlichiosis agent isolates from Northern California. J Clin Microbiol. 2000;38:1364-9 pubmed..equi isolates from northern California. These results suggest that E. equi and the HGE agent found in California are similar or identical but may differ from the isolates of equine and human origin found in the eastern United States...
- Kelley D, Warren J, Simon V, Bartolini G, Mackey B, Erickson K. Similar effects of c9,t11-CLA and t10,c12-CLA on immune cell functions in mice. Lipids. 2002;37:725-8 pubmed..Thus, the two CLA isomers had similar effects on all response variables tested. The discrepancies among the results from previous studies did not seem to be caused by the differences in the isomer composition of CLA used. ..
- Ravid T, Heidinger J, Gee P, Khan E, Goldkorn T. c-Cbl-mediated ubiquitinylation is required for epidermal growth factor receptor exit from the early endosomes. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:37153-62 pubmed..These findings only begin to explain the features seen under oxidative stress, but they yield a greater understanding of the role of c-Cbl in EGFR trafficking. ..
- Thai P, Chen Y, Dolganov G, Wu R. Differential regulation of MUC5AC/Muc5ac and hCLCA-1/mGob-5 expression in airway epithelium. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 2005;33:523-30 pubmed..Thus, these results suggest that the two biomakers of the metaplastic airway mucous cell type are differentially regulated by JAK/STAT6-dependent and -independent pathways. ..
- Raybould H. Mechanisms of CCK signaling from gut to brain. Curr Opin Pharmacol. 2007;7:570-4 pubmed..In addition, new evidence showing the importance of the action of CCK at the level of the vagus nerve in the regulation of food intake, body weight, and in activation of an anti-inflammatory pathway will be reviewed. ..
- Berger T, McCarthy M, Pearl C, At Taras E, Roser J, Conley A. Reducing endogenous estrogens during the neonatal and juvenile periods affects reproductive tract development and sperm production in postpuberal boars. Anim Reprod Sci. 2008;109:218-35 pubmed..Increased sperm production capacity in response to decreased endogenous estrogens has intriguing possibilities for animal agricultural production. ..
- Lawler S, Dritz D, Johnson C, Wolder M. Does synergized pyrethrin applied over wetlands for mosquito control affect Daphnia magna zooplankton or Callibaetis californicus mayflies?. Pest Manag Sci. 2008;64:843-7 pubmed publisher..9 ng g(-1)). Deposition of aerosolized 25% pyrethrin + 5% PBO may contaminate wetlands, but its application at rates used for mosquito control did not produce detectable effects on indicator species. ..
- Nichols G, DeBello W. Bidirectional regulation of the cAMP response element binding protein encodes spatial map alignment in prism-adapting barn owls. J Neurosci. 2008;28:9898-909 pubmed publisher..These results support a model in which the magnitude of CREB activation within individual cells provides a readout of the instructive signal that guides plasticity and learning. ..
- Inceoglu B, Jinks S, Ulu A, Hegedus C, Georgi K, Schmelzer K, et al. Soluble epoxide hydrolase and epoxyeicosatrienoic acids modulate two distinct analgesic pathways. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:18901-6 pubmed publisher..Redirecting the flow of pronociceptive intracellular cAMP toward up-regulation of StARD1 mRNA by concomitantly elevating EETs is a novel path to accomplish pain relief in both inflammatory and neuropathic pain states. ..
- Talavera J, ESSER S, Amzica F, Hill S, Antognini J. Modeling the GABAergic action of etomidate on the thalamocortical system. Anesth Analg. 2009;108:160-7 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, etomidate action in the thalamus, by itself, does not likely explain etomidate-induced unconsciousness. ..
- Chuang T, Killam K, Chuang L, Kung H, Sheng W, Chao C, et al. Mu opioid receptor gene expression in immune cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1995;216:922-30 pubmed..These studies present the first evidence to demonstrate that cells of human and monkey immune systems constitutively express mu opioid receptor mRNA. ..
- Mathews K, Stover S, Kass P. Effect of pubic symphysiodesis on acetabular rotation and pelvic development in guinea pigs. Am J Vet Res. 1996;57:1427-33 pubmed
- Correa L, Miller M. Microtubule depolymerization in rat seminiferous epithelium is associated with diminished tyrosination of alpha-tubulin. Biol Reprod. 2001;64:1644-52 pubmed..Similar effects were seen with colchicine, although loss of total tubulin protein was measured. Thus, decreased tyrosination of the microtubule pool of tubulin appears to be associated with depolymerization of microtubules...
- Symons J, Schaefer S. Na(+)/H(+) exchange subtype 1 inhibition reduces endothelial dysfunction in vessels from stunned myocardium. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2001;281:H1575-82 pubmed..These findings suggest that NHE(1) inhibition before coronary occlusion lessens ischemia-induced microvascular dysfunction for 15-60 min after reperfusion but does not alter myocardial contractile function in the area at risk...
- Conley A, Mapes S, Corbin C, Greger D, Walters K, Trant J, et al. A comparative approach to structure-function studies of mammalian aromatases. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 2001;79:289-97 pubmed..These studies are currently in progress. ..
- Gunhan E, van der List D, Chalupa L. Ectopic photoreceptors and cone bipolar cells in the developing and mature retina. J Neurosci. 2003;23:1383-9 pubmed..Collectively, the results provide evidence for photoreceptors in the ganglion cell and inner nuclear layers of the developing retina, and a more permanent subpopulation of cone bipolar cells displaced to the ganglion cell layer. ..
- Darrin Hulsey C, Garc a de Le n F, S nchez Johnson Y, Hendrickson D, Near T. Temporal diversification of Mesoamerican cichlid fishes across a major biogeographic boundary. Mol Phylogenet Evol. 2004;31:754-64 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate the 5-million-year-old extension of the Mexican Neovolcanic Plateau to the Gulf Coast of Mexico has strongly influenced the current transition between the vertebrate faunas of the Neotropics and Nearctic...
- Grahn R, BonDurant R, van Hoosear K, Walker R, Lyons L. An improved molecular assay for Tritrichomonas foetus. Vet Parasitol. 2005;127:33-41 pubmed..Moreover, electrophoretic separation of amplified samples can be outsourced, thus eliminating the need for diagnostic laboratories to purchase expensive analysis equipment...
- Dickinson P, Sturges B, Shelton G, LeCouteur R. Congenital myasthenia gravis in Smooth-Haired Miniature Dachshund dogs. J Vet Intern Med. 2005;19:920-3 pubmed..Unlike most previously reported cases of congenital myasthenia gravis that are relentlessly progressive, clinical signs resolved spontaneously by 6 months of age...
- Vermeij G. Historical contingency and the purported uniqueness of evolutionary innovations. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:1804-9 pubmed..Details of initial conditions, evolutionary pathways, phenotypes, and timing are contingent, but important ecological, functional, and directional aspects of the history of life are replicable and predictable. ..
- Lowenstine L, Montali R. Historical perspective and future directions in training of veterinary pathologists with an emphasis on zoo and wildlife species. J Vet Med Educ. 2006;33:338-45 pubmed
- Yang G, Lian Z, Chuang Y, Shu S, Moritoki Y, Lan R, et al. Generation of functionally distinct B lymphocytes from common myeloid progenitors. Clin Exp Immunol. 2007;150:349-57 pubmed..Together, these data suggest the existence of multiple pathways for generating functionally distinct B cells from bone marrow precursors...
- Gordon I, Ye F, Kent M. Evaluation of the mammalian target of rapamycin pathway and the effect of rapamycin on target expression and cellular proliferation in osteosarcoma cells from dogs. Am J Vet Res. 2008;69:1079-84 pubmed publisher..These data support the molecular basis for further investigation into the use of mTOR inhibitors as an antineoplastic approach for dogs with osteosarcoma. ..
- Pesavento P, Liu H, Ossiboff R, Stucker K, Heymer A, Millon L, et al. Characterization of a continuous feline mammary epithelial cell line susceptible to feline epitheliotropic viruses. J Virol Methods. 2009;157:105-10 pubmed publisher..These cells will be useful for studies of feline viral disease and for in vitro studies of feline epithelia. ..
- Labelle P, Hahn N, Fraser J, Kendall L, Ziman M, James E, et al. Mousepox detected in a research facility: case report and failure of mouse antibody production testing to identify Ectromelia virus in contaminated mouse serum. Comp Med. 2009;59:180-6 pubmed..Mouse antibody production, a tool commonly used to screen biologic materials for viral contamination, failed to detect active Ectromelia contamination in mouse serum...
- Barrientos G, Bose D, Feng W, Padilla I, Pessah I. The Na+/Ca2+ exchange inhibitor 2-(2-(4-(4-nitrobenzyloxy)phenyl)ethyl)isothiourea methanesulfonate (KB-R7943) also blocks ryanodine receptors type 1 (RyR1) and type 2 (RyR2) channels. Mol Pharmacol. 2009;76:560-8 pubmed publisher..Our results identify that KB-R7943 is a reversible, activity-dependent blocker of the two most broadly expressed RyR channel isoforms and contributes to its pharmacological and therapeutic activities. ..
- Leal W, Ishida Y, Pelletier J, Xu W, Rayo J, Xu X, et al. Olfactory proteins mediating chemical communication in the navel orangeworm moth, Amyelois transitella. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e7235 pubmed publisher..Of these, AtraPBP1 is highly enriched in male antennae. Fluorescence, CD and NMR studies suggest a dramatic pH-dependent conformational change, with high affinity to pheromone constituents at neutral pH and no binding at low pH. ..
- Starr D, Fridolfsson H. Interactions between nuclei and the cytoskeleton are mediated by SUN-KASH nuclear-envelope bridges. Annu Rev Cell Dev Biol. 2010;26:421-44 pubmed publisher..Knockouts of SUN or KASH proteins disrupt neurological and muscular development in mice. Defects in SUN and KASH proteins have been linked to human diseases including muscular dystrophy, ataxia, progeria, lissencephaly, and cancer. ..
- Griffiths L. Surgery for cardiac disease in small animals: current techniques. Vet Clin North Am Small Anim Pract. 2010;40:605-22 pubmed publisher..Fortunately, lack of case load does not appear to be the limiting factor to such efforts. Rather, lacks of infrastructure and manpower are the major obstacles for expansion of cardiac surgical programs. ..
- Hilton H, Aleman M, Madigan J, Nieto J. Standing lateral thoracotomy in horses: indications, complications, and outcomes. Vet Surg. 2010;39:847-55 pubmed publisher..Lateral thoracotomy is well tolerated by standing sedated horses with minimal perioperative and short-term complications. Standing lateral thoracotomy should be considered for the treatment of complicated pleuropneumonia in horses. ..
- Chang C, Lee L, Yu D, Dao K, Bossuyt J, Bers D. Acute ?-adrenergic activation triggers nuclear import of histone deacetylase 5 and delays G(q)-induced transcriptional activation. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:192-204 pubmed publisher..This serves as a key physiological control switch before allowing genetic reprogramming via HDAC5 nuclear export during more severe stress, such as heart failure. ..
- Choo Y, Pelletier J, Atungulu E, Leal W. Identification and characterization of an antennae-specific aldehyde oxidase from the navel orangeworm. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e67794 pubmed publisher..Additionally, AtraAOX2 could protect the insect's olfactory system from xenobiotics, including pesticides that might reach the sensillar lymph surrounding the olfactory receptor neurons...
- Ali O, O Rourke S, Amish S, Meek M, Luikart G, Jeffres C, et al. RAD Capture (Rapture): Flexible and Efficient Sequence-Based Genotyping. Genetics. 2016;202:389-400 pubmed publisher..The methods presented here should improve the efficiency of genetic analysis for many aspects of agricultural, environmental, and biomedical science. ..
- Enderlin C, Ogrydziak D. Cloning, nucleotide sequence and functions of XPR6, which codes for a dibasic processing endoprotease from the yeast Yarrowia lipolytica. Yeast. 1994;10:67-79 pubmed..In addition, these structures aggregated forming visible clumps in liquid culture. These growth aberrations were largely eliminated by growing cells in medium at pH 4. Fourth, no mycelial forms were observed regardless of the pH. ..
- Pedersen N, Dean G, Bernales J, Sukura A, Higgins J. Listeria monocytogenes and Serratia marcescens infections as models for Th1/Th2 immunity in laboratory cats. Vet Immunol Immunopathol. 1998;63:83-103 pubmed..Interleukin-12, an important Th1 cytokine, was elevated to equal levels in both infections as were the Th2 cytokines IL-4 and IL-10. ..
- Foley J, Kramer V, Weber D. Experimental infection of dusky-footed wood rats (Neotoma fuscipes) with Ehrlichia phagocytophila sensu lato. J Wildl Dis. 2002;38:194-8 pubmed..These data confirm that wood rats are susceptible to E. phagocytophila s.l., may develop prolonged infection without clinical ehrlichiosis, and may play a role in maintaining E. phagocytophila s.l. in nature. ..
- Fieni F, Rowe J, Van Hoosear K, Burucoa C, Oppenheim S, Anderson G, et al. Presence of caprine arthritis-encephalitis virus (CAEV) infected cells in flushing media following oviductal-stage embryo collection. Theriogenology. 2002;57:931-40 pubmed..The absence of flushing media PCR positive for goat blood PCR negative seemed to allow the use of the blood PCR test to confidently predict the absence of CAEV provirus in the oviductal fluid...
- Yin S. A new perspective on barking in dogs (Canis familiaris). J Comp Psychol. 2002;116:189-93 pubmed..Additionally, spectrographic analysis indicates that bark structure varies predictably with context, suggesting that barks can be divided into contextual subtypes and may be a more complex form of communication than given credit. ..
- Kern A, Jones C, Begun D. Genomic effects of nucleotide substitutions in Drosophila simulans. Genetics. 2002;162:1753-61 pubmed..We show evidence of pervasive small-scale hitchhiking effects in this lineage. Furthermore, our results reveal that different types of fixations are associated with different levels of linked variation...
- Vogel C, Matsumura F. Interaction of 2,3,7,8-tetrachlorodibenzo-p-dioxin (TCDD) with induced adipocyte differentiation in mouse embryonic fibroblasts (MEFs) involves tyrosine kinase c-Src. Biochem Pharmacol. 2003;66:1231-44 pubmed
- Chapman G, Beaman B, Loeffler D, Camp D, Domino E, Dickson D, et al. In situ hybridization for detection of nocardial 16S rRNA: reactivity within intracellular inclusions in experimentally infected cynomolgus monkeys--and in Lewy body-containing human brain specimens. Exp Neurol. 2003;184:715-25 pubmed..These results suggest a possible association between Nocardia and neurodegenerative disorders in which Lewy bodies are present. ..
- Laurencon A, Orme C, Peters H, Boulton C, Vladar E, Langley S, et al. A large-scale screen for mutagen-sensitive loci in Drosophila. Genetics. 2004;167:217-31 pubmed..At least one allele of each new gene identified in this study is available at the Bloomington Stock Center. ..
- Meizel S, Son J. Studies of sperm from mutant mice suggesting that two neurotransmitter receptors are important to the zona pellucida-initiated acrosome reaction. Mol Reprod Dev. 2005;72:250-8 pubmed..While defects in either the GlyR or the alpha7nAChR completely inhibit the ZP-initiated AR, fertilization by these mutant sperm can still occur in vitro, probably due to sperm that complete spontaneous AR on the ZP. ..
- Henn J, VanHorn B, Kasten R, Kachani M, Chomel B. Antibodies to Bartonella vinsonii subsp. Berkhoffii in Moroccan dogs. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2006;74:222-3 pubmed..Most of the seropositive dogs were stray dogs from Rabat (36%, 8 of 22) and Khenifra (47%, 47 of 101). Antibodies against B. vinsonii subsp. berkhoffii were found infrequently among pet dogs from Rabat (4%, 1 of 24)...
- García Varela M, Nadler S. Phylogenetic relationships of Palaeacanthocephala (Acanthocephala) inferred from SSU and LSU rDNA gene sequences. J Parasitol. 2005;91:1401-9 pubmed
- Hubbard N, Lim D, Erickson K. Conjugated linoleic acid alters matrix metalloproteinases of metastatic mouse mammary tumor cells. J Nutr. 2007;137:1423-9 pubmed..Suppression of MMP activity, therefore, may be 1 pathway through which CLA reduces tumor invasion and spread. ..
- Xu T, Nie L, Zhang Y, Mo J, Feng W, Wei D, et al. Roles of alternative splicing in the functional properties of inner ear-specific KCNQ4 channels. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:23899-909 pubmed..Furthermore, the dominant negative KCNQ4 mutant stifles the activity of KCNQ2-5, raising the possibility of a global disruption of KCNQ channel activity and the ensuing auditory phenotype. ..
- Xing M, Pan N, Zhong W, Maibach H. Skin friction blistering: computer model. Skin Res Technol. 2007;13:310-6 pubmed..The coupling finite-element model can predict the effects of friction coefficient and contacting materials&apos stiffness on blister deformation and hot spot stress. ..
- Akiyama T, Merrill A, Zanotto K, Carstens M, Carstens E. Scratching behavior and Fos expression in superficial dorsal horn elicited by protease-activated receptor agonists and other itch mediators in mice. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2009;329:945-51 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that PAR-2 and PAR-4 agonists, histamine, and 5-HT elicit itch-related scratching and activate superficial dorsal horn neurons that may participate in scratch reflex and ascending itch signaling pathways. ..
- Yang G, Wu Y, Tsukamoto H, Leung P, Lian Z, Rainbow D, et al. CD8 T cells mediate direct biliary ductule damage in nonobese diabetic autoimmune biliary disease. J Immunol. 2011;186:1259-67 pubmed publisher..ABD mice do develop the antipyruvate dehydrogenase Abs typical of human PBC. The NOD.ABD strain is a model of immune dysregulation affecting two organ systems, most likely by mechanisms that do not completely coincide. ..
- Textor J. Autologous biologic treatment for equine musculoskeletal injuries: platelet-rich plasma and IL-1 receptor antagonist protein. Vet Clin North Am Equine Pract. 2011;27:275-98 pubmed publisher..This article discusses the history, experimental and clinical literature, and currently accepted preparation and usage strategies for both platelet-rich plasma and autologous conditioned serum. ..
- Filosto S, Ashfaq M, Chung S, Fry W, Goldkorn T. Neutral sphingomyelinase 2 activity and protein stability are modulated by phosphorylation of five conserved serines. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:514-22 pubmed publisher..This study provides initial structure/function insights regarding nSMase2 phosphorylation sites and offers some new links for future studies aiming to fully elucidate nSMase2 regulatory machinery. ..
- Lim S, Goldman M. Balanced cortical microcircuitry for maintaining information in working memory. Nat Neurosci. 2013;16:1306-14 pubmed publisher..These results reveal a mechanism for the accumulation and storage of memories in neocortical circuits based on principles of corrective negative feedback that are widely used in engineering applications. ..
- Pedersen N, Liu H, Durden M, Lyons L. Natural resistance to experimental feline infectious peritonitis virus infection is decreased rather than increased by positive genetic selection. Vet Immunol Immunopathol. 2016;171:17-20 pubmed publisher..Therefore, survival after both primary and secondary infection was decreased rather than increased by positive selection for resistance. The common genetic factor associated with this diminished resistance was a loss of heterozygosity. ..
- Atwill E, Sweitzer R, Pereira M, Gardner I, Van Vuren D, Boyce W. Prevalence of and associated risk factors for shedding Cryptosporidium parvum oocysts and Giardia cysts within feral pig populations in California. Appl Environ Microbiol. 1997;63:3946-9 pubmed..cysts among feral pigs. These results suggest that given the propensity for feral pigs to focus their activity in riparian areas, feral pigs may serve as a source of protozoal contamination for surface water. ..
- Payne J. Functional characterization of the neuronal-specific K-Cl cotransporter: implications for [K+]o regulation. Am J Physiol. 1997;273:C1516-25 pubmed
- Kullman S, Hinton D. Identification, characterization, and ontogeny of a second cytochrome P450 3A gene from the fresh water teleost medaka (Oryzias latipes). Mol Reprod Dev. 2001;58:149-58 pubmed..These results demonstrate that CYP3A40 is expressed early in embryonic development and continues throughout adult stages. CYP3A38, however, is tightly regulated during embryonic development and is only expressed post-hatch. ..
- Huffman K, Krubitzer L. Thalamo-cortical connections of areas 3a and M1 in marmoset monkeys. J Comp Neurol. 2001;435:291-310 pubmed..Furthermore, the presence of input from somatosensory thalamic nuclei suggests that it plays an important role in somatosensory and motor integration. ..
- Mayeur G, Hershey J. Malignant transformation by the eukaryotic translation initiation factor 3 subunit p48 (eIF3e). FEBS Lett. 2002;514:49-54 pubmed..Stable expression of full-length eIF3e does not cause transformation. The truncated eIF3e also inhibits the onset of apoptosis caused by serum starvation. ..
- Lindsay L, Yang J, Hedrick J. Identification and characterization of a unique Xenopus laevis egg envelope component, ZPD. Dev Growth Differ. 2002;44:205-12 pubmed..A similar glycoprotein was identified by immunocrossreactivity in Xenopus tropicalis and Xenopus borealis egg envelopes. ..
- Li Y, Syvitski R, Chu G, Ikeda Saito M, Mar G. Solution 1H NMR investigation of the active site molecular and electronic structures of substrate-bound, cyanide-inhibited HmuO, a bacterial heme oxygenase from Corynebacterium diphtheriae. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:6651-63 pubmed..The dynamic stability of this H-bond network in HmuO is significantly greater than in hHO and may account for the slower catalytic rate in bacterial HO compared with mammalian HO. ..
- Amdam G, Hartfelder K, Norberg K, Hagen A, Omholt S. Altered physiology in worker honey bees (Hymenoptera: Apidae) infested with the mite Varroa destructor (Acari: Varroidae): a factor in colony loss during overwintering?. J Econ Entomol. 2004;97:741-7 pubmed..Beekeepers in temperate climates should therefore combine late autumn management strategies with treatment protocols that keep the mite population at low levels before and during the period when the winter bees emerge...
- Hedrick R, Petri B, McDowell T, Mukkatira K, Sealey L. Evaluation of a range of doses of ultraviolet irradiation to inactivate waterborne actinospore stages of Myxobolus cerebralis. Dis Aquat Organ. 2007;74:113-8 pubmed
- Wakabayashi K, Lian Z, Leung P, Moritoki Y, Tsuneyama K, Kurth M, et al. Loss of tolerance in C57BL/6 mice to the autoantigen E2 subunit of pyruvate dehydrogenase by a xenobiotic with ensuing biliary ductular disease. Hepatology. 2008;48:531-40 pubmed publisher..these data provide a persuasive argument in favor of an environmental origin for human PBC. ..
- Kelley D, Vemuri M, Adkins Y, Gill S, Fedor D, Mackey B. Flaxseed oil prevents trans-10, cis-12-conjugated linoleic acid-induced insulin resistance in mice. Br J Nutr. 2009;101:701-8 pubmed publisher..The present results suggest that some adverse effects of CLA may be due to n-3 PUFA deficiency and that these can be corrected by a concomitant increase in the intake of alpha-linolenic acid, 18 : 3n-3. ..
- Harris M, Hall R, Erickson C. Directing pathfinding along the dorsolateral path - the role of EDNRB2 and EphB2 in overcoming inhibition. Development. 2008;135:4113-22 pubmed publisher..We conclude that the requirement for EDNRB2 and EphB2 expression by melanoblasts is to support their migration by helping them to overcome repulsive or non-permissive cues in the dorsolateral environment. ..
- Goldstein T, Mazet J, Gill V, Doroff A, Burek K, Hammond J. Phocine distemper virus in northern sea otters in the Pacific Ocean, Alaska, USA. Emerg Infect Dis. 2009;15:925-7 pubmed publisher..We found that northern sea otters in Alaska are infected with PDV, which has created a disease threat to several sympatric and decreasing Pacific marine mammals...
- Xing Z, Harper R, Anunciacion J, Yang Z, Gao W, Qu B, et al. Host immune and apoptotic responses to avian influenza virus H9N2 in human tracheobronchial epithelial cells. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 2011;44:24-33 pubmed publisher..The findings in this study will further our understanding of host defense mechanisms and the pathogenesis of H9N2 influenza viruses in human respiratory epithelium. ..
- Schriewer A, Miller W, Byrne B, Miller M, Oates S, Conrad P, et al. Presence of Bacteroidales as a predictor of pathogens in surface waters of the central California coast. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2010;76:5802-14 pubmed publisher..This predictive ability, in addition to the Bacteroidales assays providing information on contributing host fecal sources, supports using Bacteroidales assays in water quality monitoring programs. ..
- Kim H, McCoy M, Majkova Z, Dechant J, Gee S, Tabares da Rosa S, et al. Isolation of alpaca anti-hapten heavy chain single domain antibodies for development of sensitive immunoassay. Anal Chem. 2012;84:1165-71 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, a highly specific and sensitive VHH for 3-PBA was developed using sequences from immunized alpaca and phage display technology for antibody selection. ..
- Fabina N, Putnam H, Franklin E, Stat M, Gates R. Transmission mode predicts specificity and interaction patterns in coral-Symbiodinium networks. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e44970 pubmed publisher..The structure and dynamics of these network interactions underlie the fundamental biological partnership that determines the condition and resilience of coral reef ecosystems. ..
- Lee S, Dunmire S, McSorley S. MHC class-I-restricted CD8 T cells play a protective role during primary Salmonella infection. Immunol Lett. 2012;148:138-43 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these data demonstrate that CD8 T cells are not required for acquired immunity to Salmonella, but can play a protective role in resolving primary infection with attenuated bacteria. ..
- Malik Z, Kott K, Poe A, Kuo T, Chen L, Ferrara K, et al. Cardiac myocyte exosomes: stability, HSP60, and proteomics. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2013;304:H954-65 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, exosomal protein content is influenced by the cell source and stimulus for exosome formation. ROS stimulate exosome production. The functions of exosomes remain to be fully elucidated. ..
- Chitwood J, Rincon G, Kaiser G, Medrano J, Ross P. RNA-seq analysis of single bovine blastocysts. BMC Genomics. 2013;14:350 pubmed publisher..This technology provides the opportunity to assay the developing embryo, but the paucity of biological material available from individual embryos has made this a challenging prospect...
- BAUMLER A, Fang F. Host specificity of bacterial pathogens. Cold Spring Harb Perspect Med. 2013;3:a010041 pubmed publisher..This review will examine host specificity of bacterial pathogens with a focus on generalist and specialist serovars of Salmonella enterica. ..
- Atif S, Winter S, Winter M, McSorley S, BAUMLER A. Salmonella enterica serovar Typhi impairs CD4 T cell responses by reducing antigen availability. Infect Immun. 2014;82:2247-54 pubmed publisher..We conclude that TviA-mediated repression of flagellin expression reduces antigen availability, thereby weakening flagellin-specific CD4 T cell responses. ..