Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on afferent neurons in San Francisco, California, United States
Locale: San Francisco, California, United States
Topic: afferent neurons
- Roegiers F, Younger Shepherd S, Jan L, Jan Y. Two types of asymmetric divisions in the Drosophila sensory organ precursor cell lineage. Nat Cell Biol. 2001;3:58-67 pubmed..On the basis of these observations, we propose that two distinct mechanisms for controlling asymmetric cell divisions occur within the same lineage in the developing peripheral nervous system in Drosophila. ..
- Gray J, Karow D, Lu H, Chang A, Chang J, Ellis R, et al. Oxygen sensation and social feeding mediated by a C. elegans guanylate cyclase homologue. Nature. 2004;430:317-22 pubmed..elegans' preferred level, and require gcy-35 activity. Our results suggest that GCY-35 is regulated by molecular oxygen, and that social feeding can be a behavioural strategy for responding to hyperoxic environments. ..
- Zallen J, Kirch S, Bargmann C. Genes required for axon pathfinding and extension in the C. elegans nerve ring. Development. 1999;126:3679-92 pubmed..Together, these genes define pathways required for axon growth, guidance and maintenance during nervous system development. ..
- Funfschilling U, Ng Y, Zang K, Miyazaki J, Reichardt L, Rice F. TrkC kinase expression in distinct subsets of cutaneous trigeminal innervation and nonneuronal cells. J Comp Neurol. 2004;480:392-414 pubmed..Many types of nonneuronal cells affiliated with hair follicles and blood vessels also express TrkC-reporter but lack immunodetectable TrkC. ..
- Jordt S, Bautista D, Chuang H, McKemy D, Zygmunt P, Hogestatt E, et al. Mustard oils and cannabinoids excite sensory nerve fibres through the TRP channel ANKTM1. Nature. 2004;427:260-5 pubmed..These findings identify a cellular and molecular target for the pungent action of mustard oils and support an emerging role for TRP channels as ionotropic cannabinoid receptors...
- Colbert H, Smith T, Bargmann C. OSM-9, a novel protein with structural similarity to channels, is required for olfaction, mechanosensation, and olfactory adaptation in Caenorhabditis elegans. J Neurosci. 1997;17:8259-69 pubmed..osm-9 also affects olfactory adaptation within neurons that require the cyclic nucleotide-gated channel for olfaction; in these neurons, the gene has a regulatory function and not a primary role in sensory transduction. ..
- Huang E, Li H, Tang A, Wiggins A, Neve R, Zhong W, et al. Targeted deletion of numb and numblike in sensory neurons reveals their essential functions in axon arborization. Genes Dev. 2005;19:138-51 pubmed..Taken together, our data provide evidence for previously unidentified functions of Numb and Numblike in sensory axon arborization by regulating Notch1 via the endocytic-lysosomal pathways. ..
- Xue Q, Jong B, Chen T, Schumacher M. Transcription of rat TRPV1 utilizes a dual promoter system that is positively regulated by nerve growth factor. J Neurochem. 2007;101:212-22 pubmed..These findings support the hypothesis that NGF produced under conditions of tissue injury and/or inflammation directs an increase of TRPV1 expression in nociceptors in part through a transcription-dependent mechanism. ..
- Lin K, Hsin H, Libina N, Kenyon C. Regulation of the Caenorhabditis elegans longevity protein DAF-16 by insulin/IGF-1 and germline signaling. Nat Genet. 2001;28:139-45 pubmed..Together these findings reveal unexpected complexity in the DAF-16-dependent pathways that regulate aging. ..
- Cang J, RENTERIA R, Kaneko M, Liu X, Copenhagen D, Stryker M. Development of precise maps in visual cortex requires patterned spontaneous activity in the retina. Neuron. 2005;48:797-809 pubmed..Our findings demonstrate that disrupting early spontaneous activity in the eye alters thalamic connections to the cortex. ..
- Bonin V, Mante V, Carandini M. The statistical computation underlying contrast gain control. J Neurosci. 2006;26:6346-53 pubmed..The advantages to visual processing of this remarkably specific computation are not entirely known. ..
- El Majdoubi M, Weiner R. Localization of olfactory cyclic nucleotide-gated channels in rat gonadotropin-releasing hormone neurons. Endocrinology. 2002;143:2441-4 pubmed..The presence of CNG channel subunits in the median eminence supports the notion that coordination of the excitability of the scattered GnRH perikarya may occur at the level of the nerve terminals. ..
- Potrebic S, Ahn A, Skinner K, Fields H, Basbaum A. Peptidergic nociceptors of both trigeminal and dorsal root ganglia express serotonin 1D receptors: implications for the selective antimigraine action of triptans. J Neurosci. 2003;23:10988-97 pubmed..Our finding, that 5-HT1D receptors are distributed in nociceptors throughout the body, raises the possibility that triptans can regulate not only headache-associated pain but also nociceptive responses in extracranial tissues. ..
- McKemy D, Neuhausser W, Julius D. Identification of a cold receptor reveals a general role for TRP channels in thermosensation. Nature. 2002;416:52-8 pubmed
- Kuo C, Zhu S, Younger S, Jan L, Jan Y. Identification of E2/E3 ubiquitinating enzymes and caspase activity regulating Drosophila sensory neuron dendrite pruning. Neuron. 2006;51:283-90 pubmed..Thus, in addition to uncovering E2/E3 ubiquitinating enzymes for dendrite pruning, this study provides a mechanistic link between UPS and the apoptotic machinery in regulating neuronal process remodeling. ..
- Myers B, Sigal Y, Julius D. Evolution of thermal response properties in a cold-activated TRP channel. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e5741 pubmed publisher..Thus, somatosensory receptors are not static through evolution, but show functional diversity reflecting the characteristics of an organism's ecological niche...
- Farinas I, Jones K, Tessarollo L, Vigers A, Huang E, Kirstein M, et al. Spatial shaping of cochlear innervation by temporally regulated neurotrophin expression. J Neurosci. 2001;21:6170-80 pubmed..5. This suggests that the pattern of expression of neurotrophins rather than their receptors is essential for the spatial loss of spiral sensory neurons in NT-3 null mutants. ..