Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on adult in San Francisco, California, United States
Locale: San Francisco, California, United States
Publications534 found, 100 shown here
- Kato Maeda M, Ho C, Passarelli B, Banaei N, Grinsdale J, Flores L, et al. Use of whole genome sequencing to determine the microevolution of Mycobacterium tuberculosis during an outbreak. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e58235 pubmed publisher..Recently, whole genome sequencing has been used to study molecular epidemiology of Mycobacterium tuberculosis over short time periods...
- Tymofiyeva O, Hess C, Ziv E, Lee P, Glass H, Ferriero D, et al. A DTI-based template-free cortical connectome study of brain maturation. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e63310 pubmed publisher..We also explored how the equal area nodes can be grouped into modules without any prior anatomical information--an important step toward a fully network-driven registration and analysis of brain connectivity. ..
- Koo J, Lee C. Delusions of parasitosis. A dermatologist's guide to diagnosis and treatment. Am J Clin Dermatol. 2001;2:285-90 pubmed..Atypical antipsychotics such as risperidone with a much safer adverse effect profile may prove to be effective for the treatment of delusions of parasitosis in the future. ..
- Conte J, DeVoe C, Little E, Golden J. Steady-state intrapulmonary pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of posaconazole in lung transplant recipients. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2010;54:3609-13 pubmed publisher..The intrapulmonary PKPD of POS may be favorable for treatment or prevention of aspergillosis, although further research on the relevant PKPD parameters and the effect of POS protein binding is required. ..
- Roubinian N, Looney M, Keating S, Kor D, Lowell C, Gajic O, et al. Differentiating pulmonary transfusion reactions using recipient and transfusion factors. Transfusion. 2017;57:1684-1690 pubmed publisher..We hypothesized that both transfusion and recipient factors including natriuretic peptides could be used to distinguish TRALI from TACO and pTRALI...
- Kind G, Foster R. The longitudinal gracilis myocutaneous flap: broadening options in breast reconstruction. Ann Plast Surg. 2008;61:513-20 pubmed publisher..Three patients underwent suction-assisted lipectomy of 5 donor site areas to improve contour and/or symmetry. The longitudinal gracilis myocutaneous flap is a useful alternative for breast reconstruction in properly selected patients. ..
- Duncan K, Hosseini K, Bailey K, Yang H, Lowe R, Matthes M, et al. Expression of reverse cholesterol transport proteins ATP-binding cassette A1 (ABCA1) and scavenger receptor BI (SR-BI) in the retina and retinal pigment epithelium. Br J Ophthalmol. 2009;93:1116-20 pubmed publisher..BrMs were significantly thickened in SR-BI heterozygous mice, but not in ABCA1 heterozygous mice. RPE cells express ABCA1 and SR-BI. This implies a significant role for SR-BI and ABCA1 in lipid transport and RCT in the retina and RPE. ..
- Ladabaum U, Sharabidze A, Levin T, Zhao W, Chung E, Bacchetti P, et al. Citalopram provides little or no benefit in nondepressed patients with irritable bowel syndrome. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2010;8:42-48.e1 pubmed publisher..Changes in symptoms were not substantially correlated with changes in rectal sensation assessed by barostat. Any benefit of citalopram in non-depressed IBS patients is likely to be modest at best. ..
- Moses W, Weng J, Khanafshar E, Duh Q, Clark O, Kebebew E. Multiple genetic alterations in papillary thyroid cancer are associated with younger age at presentation. J Surg Res. 2010;160:179-83 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that multiple genetic alterations in thyroid cancer may be associated with earlier disease initiation and or progression. ..
- Sahakitrungruang T, Huang N, Tee M, Agrawal V, Russell W, Crock P, et al. Clinical, genetic, and enzymatic characterization of P450 oxidoreductase deficiency in four patients. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2009;94:4992-5000 pubmed publisher..P450 oxidoreductase (POR) deficiency causes disordered steroidogenesis; severe mutations cause genital ambiguity in both sexes plus the Antley-Bixler skeletal malformation syndrome, whereas mild mutations can cause adult infertility...
- Hope M, Hope T, Crook S, Ordovas K, Urbania T, Alley M, et al. 4D flow CMR in assessment of valve-related ascending aortic disease. JACC Cardiovasc Imaging. 2011;4:781-7 pubmed publisher..The subgroup of patients with BAV and eccentric systolic AsAo blood flow was found to have significantly and asymmetrically elevated wall shear stress. This increased hemodynamic burden may place them at risk for AsAo aneurysm. ..
- Hsu K, Zucherman J, Shea W, Jeffrey R. Lumbar intraspinal synovial and ganglion cysts (facet cysts). Ten-year experience in evaluation and treatment. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 1995;20:80-9 pubmed..Patients with intraspinal facet cysts may respond to conservative treatments if there is no significant neurologic deficit. Surgical decompression and removal of large facet cysts usually are successful in relieving symptoms. ..
- Lebet T, Chiles R, Hsu A, Mansfield E, Warrington J, Puck J. Mutations causing severe combined immunodeficiency: detection with a custom resequencing microarray. Genet Med. 2008;10:575-85 pubmed publisher..Future customization of probe sequences and analysis algorithms could increase the number of accurately called nucleotides. ..
- Tipirneni R, Daly K, Jarlsberg L, Koch J, Swartzman A, Roth B, et al. Healthcare worker occupation and immune response to Pneumocystis jirovecii. Emerg Infect Dis. 2009;15:1590-7 pubmed publisher..Healthcare workers may have occupational exposure to P. jirovecii. Humans may be a reservoir for P. jirovecii and may transmit it from person to person. ..
- Yang I, Sughrue M, Rutkowski M, Kaur R, Ivan M, Aranda D, et al. Craniopharyngioma: a comparison of tumor control with various treatment strategies. Neurosurg Focus. 2010;28:E5 pubmed publisher..Here, the authors summarize the published literature regarding rates of tumor control with various treatment modalities for craniopharyngiomas...
- Silkiss R, Reier A, Coleman M, Lauer S. Rituximab for thyroid eye disease. Ophthalmic Plast Reconstr Surg. 2010;26:310-4 pubmed publisher..The variable natural history of TED makes it difficult to definitively assign efficacy. The results support the continued investigation of rituximab for TED in a larger placebo-controlled trial. ..
- Chou D, Lu D. Mini-open transpedicular corpectomies with expandable cage reconstruction. Technical note. J Neurosurg Spine. 2011;14:71-7 pubmed publisher..This is performed using percutaneous pedicle screws, the trap-door rib-head osteotomy, and a single midline fascial exposure. The authors describe this technique with intraoperative photos and a video demonstrating the technique. ..
- Gourraud P, Karaouni A, Woo J, Schmidt T, Oksenberg J, Hecht F, et al. APOBEC3H haplotypes and HIV-1 pro-viral vif DNA sequence diversity in early untreated human immunodeficiency virus-1 infection. Hum Immunol. 2011;72:207-12 pubmed publisher..015 mixed effects model). This effect may be due to enhanced susceptibility of A3H forms to HIV-1 Vif mediated viral suppression of sequence editing activity, slowing viral diversification and escape from immune responses...
- Tarapore P, Martino J, Guggisberg A, Owen J, Honma S, Findlay A, et al. Magnetoencephalographic imaging of resting-state functional connectivity predicts postsurgical neurological outcome in brain gliomas. Neurosurgery. 2012;71:1012-22 pubmed publisher..These data may be used to optimize preoperative patient counseling and surgical strategy. ..
- Blaschko S, McAninch J, Myers J, Schlomer B, Breyer B. Repeat urethroplasty after failed urethral reconstruction: outcome analysis of 130 patients. J Urol. 2012;188:2260-4 pubmed publisher..Repeat urethroplasty is a successful treatment option. Patients in whom treatment failed had longer strictures and more complex repairs. ..
- Kurylo M, Grandfield K, Marshall G, Altoe V, Aloni S, Ho S. Effect of proteoglycans at interfaces as related to location, architecture, and mechanical cues. Arch Oral Biol. 2016;63:82-92 pubmed publisher..The results of this study provide insights into the role of GAGs toward conserved tooth movement in the socket in response to mechanical loads, and modulation of potentially deleterious strain at tissue interfaces. ..
- Mathias S, Colwell H, Miller D, Pasta D, Henning J, Ofman J. Health-Related quality-of-life and quality-days incrementally gained in symptomatic nonerosive GERD patients treated with lansoprazole or ranitidine. Dig Dis Sci. 2001;46:2416-23 pubmed..Patients taking lansoprazole 15 or 30 mg daily reported better outcomes than those receiving ranitidine 150 twice a day over the eight-week study. ..
- Whitcher J, Shiboski C, Shiboski S, Heidenreich A, Kitagawa K, Zhang S, et al. A simplified quantitative method for assessing keratoconjunctivitis sicca from the Sjögren's Syndrome International Registry. Am J Ophthalmol. 2010;149:405-15 pubmed publisher..To describe, apply, and test a new ocular grading system for assessing keratoconjunctivitis sicca (KCS) using lissamine green and fluorescein...
- Sanai N, Berger M. Intraoperative stimulation techniques for functional pathway preservation and glioma resection. Neurosurg Focus. 2010;28:E1 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these surgical strategies represent the cornerstone for operating on gliomas in and around functional pathways. ..
- Zhou Y, Lu K, Pfefferle S, Bertram S, Glowacka I, Drosten C, et al. A single asparagine-linked glycosylation site of the severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus spike glycoprotein facilitates inhibition by mannose-binding lectin through multiple mechanisms. J Virol. 2010;84:8753-64 pubmed publisher..Thus, binding of MBL to SARS-S may interfere with other early pre- or postreceptor-binding events necessary for efficient viral entry...
- El Sayed I, Wu J, Dhillon N, Ames C, Mummaneni P. The importance of platybasia and the palatine line in patient selection for endonasal surgery of the craniocervical junction: a radiographic study of 12 patients. World Neurosurg. 2011;76:183-8; discussion 74-8 pubmed publisher..We investigated whether the height of the craniocervical junction is elevated over the PL in patients with and without platybasia...
- Lee H, Gould J, Boscardin W, El Sayed Y, Blumenfeld Y. Trends in cesarean delivery for twin births in the United States: 1995-2008. Obstet Gynecol. 2011;118:1095-101 pubmed publisher..This increase is significantly higher than that which could be explained by an increase in cesarean delivery for breech presentation of either the presenting or second twin. ..
- Aschbacher K, Adam E, Crofford L, Kemeny M, Demitrack M, Ben Zvi A. Linking disease symptoms and subtypes with personalized systems-based phenotypes: a proof of concept study. Brain Behav Immun. 2012;26:1047-56 pubmed publisher..Mapping "behavioral phenotypes" of stress-arousal systems onto symptom clusters may help disentangle the pathophysiology of complex disorders with frequent comorbidity. ..
- Mueller S, Sear K, Hills N, Chettout N, Afghani S, Gastelum E, et al. Risk of first and recurrent stroke in childhood cancer survivors treated with cranial and cervical radiation therapy. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2013;86:643-8 pubmed publisher..Cranial irradiation puts childhood cancer survivors at high risk of both first and recurrent stroke. Stroke prevention strategies for these survivors are needed. ..
- Barst R, Ivy D, Foreman A, McGoon M, Rosenzweig E. Four- and seven-year outcomes of patients with congenital heart disease-associated pulmonary arterial hypertension (from the REVEAL Registry). Am J Cardiol. 2014;113:147-55 pubmed publisher..These differences, however, did not translate into significantly improved 4- and 7-year survival rates in patients with ES versus IPAH or HPAH and CHD-associated PAH. ..
- Derose K, Payán D, Fulcar M, Terrero S, Acevedo R, Farías H, et al. Factors contributing to food insecurity among women living with HIV in the Dominican Republic: A qualitative study. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0181568 pubmed publisher..Addressing food insecurity among WLHIV requires policy and programmatic interventions to enforce existing laws designed to protect the rights of people living with HIV, reduce HIV-related stigma, and improve gender equality. ..
- McDonald D. Angiogenesis and remodeling of airway vasculature in chronic inflammation. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2001;164:S39-45 pubmed
- Vates G, Chang S, Lamborn K, Prados M, Berger M. Gliomatosis cerebri: a review of 22 cases. Neurosurgery. 2003;53:261-71; discussion 271 pubmed
- Ong A, Creasman J, Hopewell P, Gonzalez L, Wong M, Jasmer R, et al. A molecular epidemiological assessment of extrapulmonary tuberculosis in San Francisco. Clin Infect Dis. 2004;38:25-31 pubmed..This high rate of clustering occurs because pleural TB is often an early manifestation of recent infection. ..
- Ishida J, Peters M, Jin C, Louie K, Tan V, Bacchetti P, et al. Influence of cannabis use on severity of hepatitis C disease. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2008;6:69-75 pubmed publisher..72; 95% CI, 1.02-2.90, P = .044). Daily cannabis use is strongly associated with moderate to severe fibrosis, and HCV-infected individuals should be counseled to reduce or abstain from cannabis use. ..
- Darney P, Patel A, Rosen K, Shapiro L, Kaunitz A. Safety and efficacy of a single-rod etonogestrel implant (Implanon): results from 11 international clinical trials. Fertil Steril. 2009;91:1646-53 pubmed publisher..Bleeding pattern changes were observed, but no one pattern predominated. The ENG implant is an efficacious and safe method of contraception which does not require patients' consistent action. ..
- Goldsby R, Burke C, Nagarajan R, Zhou T, Chen Z, Marina N, et al. Second solid malignancies among children, adolescents, and young adults diagnosed with malignant bone tumors after 1976: follow-up of a Children's Oncology Group cohort. Cancer. 2008;113:2597-604 pubmed publisher..The development of improved therapies with fewer long-term consequences is paramount. Follow-up should focus on monitoring for both recurrence of primary malignancies and development of SMNs. ..
- Gandhi M, Ameli N, Bacchetti P, Gange S, Anastos K, Levine A, et al. Protease inhibitor levels in hair strongly predict virologic response to treatment. AIDS. 2009;23:471-8 pubmed publisher..This non-invasive method for determining ARV exposure may have particular relevance for the epidemic in resource-poor settings due to the ease of collecting and storing hair. ..
- Tang J, Scheer J, Smith J, Deviren V, Bess S, Hart R, et al. The impact of standing regional cervical sagittal alignment on outcomes in posterior cervical fusion surgery. Neurosurgery. 2012;71:662-9; discussion 669 pubmed..Positive spinal regional and global sagittal malalignment has been repeatedly shown to correlate with pain and disability in thoracolumbar fusion...
- Englot D, Rolston J, Wang D, Hassnain K, Gordon C, Chang E. Efficacy of vagus nerve stimulation in posttraumatic versus nontraumatic epilepsy. J Neurosurg. 2012;117:970-7 pubmed publisher..A controlled prospective trial is necessary to further examine seizure outcomes as well as neuropsychological outcomes after VNS therapy in patients with intractable PTE. ..
- Rock J, Konigshoff M. Endogenous lung regeneration: potential and limitations. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2012;186:1213-9 pubmed publisher..The search for the right mixture to induce efficient and controlled repair and regeneration of the diseased lung is ongoing and will open completely novel avenues for the treatment of patients with chronic lung disease. ..
- Russell M, Eisele D, Murr A. The otolaryngology hospitalist: a novel practice paradigm. Laryngoscope. 2013;123:1394-8 pubmed publisher..The hospitalist practice is a conceptually viable and clinically beneficial paradigm that should be considered at other similar institutions. ..
- Levin C, Maibach H. Exogenous ochronosis. An update on clinical features, causative agents and treatment options. Am J Clin Dermatol. 2001;2:213-7 pubmed..A number of topical agents have been studied as have dermabrasion and the use of lasers. Controlled studies in larger numbers of patients are require to determine the true efficacy of newer treatments. ..
- Lin D, Kashani Sabet M, McCalmont T, Singer M. Neurotropic melanoma invading the inferior alveolar nerve. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2005;53:S120-2 pubmed..Radiation therapy and gamma knife radiosurgery may be used for cases of unresectable recurrences. ..
- Sani S, Shimamoto S, Turner R, Levesque N, Starr P. Microelectrode recording in the posterior hypothalamic region in humans. Neurosurgery. 2009;64:ons161-7; discussion ons167-9 pubmed publisher..2 Hz and was significantly lower than medial thalamic neurons recorded dorsal to the target. The findings will be of use for microelectrode localization of the cluster headache target and for comparison with animal studies. ..
- Sewell J, Yee H, Inadomi J. Hospitalizations are increasing among minority patients with Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis. Inflamm Bowel Dis. 2010;16:204-7 pubmed publisher..The causes underlying these changes are not certain and should be further investigated. ..
- Lanteri M, O Brien K, Purtha W, Cameron M, Lund J, Owen R, et al. Tregs control the development of symptomatic West Nile virus infection in humans and mice. J Clin Invest. 2009;119:3266-77 pubmed publisher..Together, these results suggest that higher levels of peripheral Tregs after infection protect against severe WNV disease in immunocompetent animals and humans. ..
- Davis J, Worodria W, Kisembo H, Metcalfe J, Cattamanchi A, Kawooya M, et al. Clinical and radiographic factors do not accurately diagnose smear-negative tuberculosis in HIV-infected inpatients in Uganda: a cross-sectional study. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e9859 pubmed publisher..Enhanced diagnostic methods for smear-negative tuberculosis are urgently needed. ..
- Tate M, Jahangiri A, BLEVINS L, Kunwar S, Aghi M. Infected Rathke cleft cysts: distinguishing factors and factors predicting recurrence. Neurosurgery. 2010;67:762-9; discussion 769 pubmed publisher..With antibiotic treatment, the recurrence rate of infected RCC approaches that of noninfected cysts. The higher recurrence rates reported in other series may reflect underrecognition of occult infection. ..
- Dvorak C, Fisher B, Sung L, Steinbach W, Nieder M, Alexander S, et al. Antifungal prophylaxis in pediatric hematology/oncology: new choices & new data. Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2012;59:21-6 pubmed publisher..The echinocandins are well-tolerated, but only available in intravenous form. Ultimately, studies demonstrating biologic risk factors for the development of IFI may lead to personalized prophylactic strategies...
- Lee H, Daniels B, Salas E, Bollen A, Debnath J, Margeta M. Clinical utility of LC3 and p62 immunohistochemistry in diagnosis of drug-induced autophagic vacuolar myopathies: a case-control study. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e36221 pubmed publisher..The goal of the current study was to develop an immunohistochemical diagnostic marker for this pathologic entity...
- Venna S, Thummala S, Nosrati M, Leong S, Miller J, Sagebiel R, et al. Analysis of sentinel lymph node positivity in patients with thin primary melanoma. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2013;68:560-567 pubmed publisher..Combining clinical and histologic prognostic factors may help identify subgroups of T1 patients at higher risk of SLN positivity. SLN status has significant prognostic impact in patients with thin melanomas. ..
- Scholten A, Cisco R, Vriens M, Cohen J, Mitmaker E, Liu C, et al. Pheochromocytoma crisis is not a surgical emergency. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2013;98:581-91 pubmed publisher..Pheochromocytoma crisis is a feared and potentially lethal complication of pheochromocytoma...
- Moskowitz J, Wrubel J, Hult J, Maurer S, Acree M. Illness appraisals and depression in the first year after HIV diagnosis. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e78904 pubmed publisher..Posttest counselors and other HIV service providers should take individual differences in illness appraisals into account in order to help newly HIV-positive clients manage their healthcare and cope adaptively with their diagnosis. ..
- Pandori M, Westheimer E, Gay C, Moss N, Fu J, Hightow Weidman L, et al. The Multispot rapid HIV-1/HIV-2 differentiation assay is comparable with the Western blot and an immunofluorescence assay at confirming HIV infection in a prospective study in three regions of the United States. J Clin Virol. 2013;58 Suppl 1:e92-6 pubmed publisher..Multispot, Western blot, and IFA, however, did not confirm all of the reactive Ag/Ab assay results and underscores the importance of HIV NAT testing to resolve discordant screening and confirmatory results. ..
- Bersani F, Wolkowitz O, Lindqvist D, Yehuda R, Flory J, Bierer L, et al. Global arginine bioavailability, a marker of nitric oxide synthetic capacity, is decreased in PTSD and correlated with symptom severity and markers of inflammation. Brain Behav Immun. 2016;52:153-160 pubmed publisher..These findings add to the accumulating evidence that specific cellular dysfunction may be associated with the symptomatology of PTSD and may help to explain the higher burden of cardio-metabolic disturbances seen in this disorder. ..
- Nollen N, Cox L, Yu Q, Ellerbeck E, Scheuermann T, Benowitz N, et al. A clinical trial to examine disparities in quitting between African-American and White adult smokers: Design, accrual, and baseline characteristics. Contemp Clin Trials. 2016;47:12-21 pubmed publisher..ClinicalTrials.gov: NCT01836276. ..
- Salazar J, Lee R, Wheatley G, Doty J. Are there enough jobs in cardiothoracic surgery? The thoracic surgery residents association job placement survey for finishing residents. Ann Thorac Surg. 2004;78:1523-7 pubmed..Although most finishing residents were satisfied with training and career choice, significant concerns exist regarding job opportunities and compensation. These conditions may lead to difficulty in recruitment to the specialty. ..
- Rutar T, Zwick O, Cockerham K, Horton J. Bilateral blindness from orbital cellulitis caused by community-acquired methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus. Am J Ophthalmol. 2005;140:740-2 pubmed..MRSA orbital cellulitis can progress to irreversible blindness despite antibiotic treatment. A new, community-acquired clone of this organism has exhibited increased potential for tissue invasion. ..
- Mulligan K, Zackin R, Von Roenn J, Chesney M, Egorin M, Sattler F, et al. Testosterone supplementation of megestrol therapy does not enhance lean tissue accrual in men with human immunodeficiency virus-associated weight loss: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, multicenter trial. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2007;92:563-70 pubmed..Sexual functioning was preserved with MA/TE but worsened in MA/PL. MA produced robust weight gain. Coadministration of testosterone preserved sexual functioning but did not enhance LBM accrual. ..
- Davis J, Welsh D, Beard C, Jones J, Lawrence G, Fox M, et al. Pneumocystis colonisation is common among hospitalised HIV infected patients with non-Pneumocystis pneumonia. Thorax. 2008;63:329-34 pubmed..Failure to use co-trimoxazole prophylaxis and severe immunosuppression are associated with an increase in the odds of colonisation. Pneumocystis colonisation among hospitalised patients does not commonly lead to PCP. ..
- Willberg C, McConnell J, Eriksson E, Bragg L, York V, Liegler T, et al. Immunity to HIV-1 is influenced by continued natural exposure to exogenous virus. PLoS Pathog. 2008;4:e1000185 pubmed publisher..Continued sexual exposure to exogenous HIV-1 was associated with increased HIV-1-specific T cell responses, in the absence of systemic super-infection, and correlated with the level and type of exposure...
- Contreras X, Schweneker M, Chen C, McCune J, Deeks S, Martin J, et al. Suberoylanilide hydroxamic acid reactivates HIV from latently infected cells. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:6782-9 pubmed publisher..Thus SAHA, which is a Food and Drug Administration-approved drug, might be considered to accelerate the decay of the latent reservoir in HAART-treated infected humans...
- Durazzo T, Pathak V, Gazdzinski S, Mon A, Meyerhoff D. Metabolite levels in the brain reward pathway discriminate those who remain abstinent from those who resume hazardous alcohol consumption after treatment for alcohol dependence. J Stud Alcohol Drugs. 2010;71:278-89 pubmed..The lack of metabolite differences between abstainers and light-drinking nonsmoking controls suggests premorbid factors potentially contributed to the baseline brain metabolite abnormalities observed in resumers. ..
- Robinson C, Graham J. Perceived Internet health literacy of HIV-positive people through the provision of a computer and Internet health education intervention. Health Info Libr J. 2010;27:295-303 pubmed publisher..Studies with larger numbers of participants should be undertaken to determine if brief interventions improve self-care, patient outcomes and use of emergency services. ..
- Sughrue M, Kaur R, Rutkowski M, Kane A, Yang I, Pitts L, et al. A critical evaluation of vestibular schwannoma surgery for patients younger than 40 years of age. Neurosurgery. 2010;67:1646-53; discussion 1653-4 pubmed publisher..We present the largest prospectively studied cohort of young patients undergoing microsurgical resection of vestibular schwannoma. These data suggest that surgical resection provides excellent long-term tumor control in these patients. ..
- Chou C, Johnston C, Singh B, Garber J, Kaplan E, Lee K, et al. A "safe space" for learning and reflection: one school's design for continuity with a peer group across clinical clerkships. Acad Med. 2011;86:1560-5 pubmed publisher..Student communication around patient care was also feasible and highly valued. ..
- Graf J, Lynch K, Yeh C, Tarter L, Richman N, Nguyen T, et al. Purpura, cutaneous necrosis, and antineutrophil cytoplasmic antibodies associated with levamisole-adulterated cocaine. Arthritis Rheum. 2011;63:3998-4001 pubmed publisher..Rheumatologists should be aware of this distinctive form of necrotic purpura, its associated autoantibodies, and its link to levamisole-adulterated cocaine. ..
- Anderson W, Kools S, Lyndon A. Dancing around death: hospitalist-patient communication about serious illness. Qual Health Res. 2013;23:3-13 pubmed publisher..This acknowledgment process can serve as a guide for providers to sensitively and honestly discuss essential end-of-life issues. ..
- Gould H, Foster D, Perrucci A, Barar R, Roberts S. Predictors of abortion counseling receipt and helpfulness in the United States. Womens Health Issues. 2013;23:e249-55 pubmed publisher..Legal mandates that regulate abortion counseling do not seem to be helpful to women. More research is needed to understand the effects of abortion counseling and whether policies regulating counseling have a deleterious effect on women. ..
- Bozic K, Chan V, Valone F, Feeley B, Vail T. Trends in hip arthroscopy utilization in the United States. J Arthroplasty. 2013;28:140-3 pubmed publisher..Reported surgical complication rates are relatively low, but appear higher than those rates reported in previously published series. Appropriate indications for hip arthroscopy remain unclear. ..
- Steward W, Miege P, Choi K. Charting a moral life: the influence of stigma and filial duties on marital decisions among Chinese men who have sex with men. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e71778 pubmed publisher..Interventions must find ways to help men navigate a balance between their own needs and the responsibilities they feel toward their parents and others. ..
- Chao M, Abercrombie P, Santana T, Duncan L. Applying the RE-AIM Framework to Evaluate Integrative Medicine Group Visits Among Diverse Women with Chronic Pelvic Pain. Pain Manag Nurs. 2015;16:920-9 pubmed publisher..Given these promising findings, rigorous evaluation of implementation and effectiveness of this approach compared with usual care is warranted. ..
- Debert I, Miller J, Danh K, Scott A. Pharmacologic injection treatment of comitant strabismus. J AAPOS. 2016;20:106-111.e2 pubmed publisher..Injection provides a low-cost alternative to incisional strabismus surgery, particularly where it is desirable to minimize surgical anesthesia and avoid extraocular scarring. ..
- Lawton M, Quinones Hinojosa A, Chang E, Yu T. Thrombotic intracranial aneurysms: classification scheme and management strategies in 68 patients. Neurosurgery. 2005;56:441-54; discussion 441-54 pubmed..The classification scheme may provide conceptual clarity and therapeutic guidance with preoperative and intraoperative decision making. ..
- Heinen S, Rowland J, Lee B, Wade A. An oculomotor decision process revealed by functional magnetic resonance imaging. J Neurosci. 2006;26:13515-22 pubmed..By recording population activity with fMRI during the ocular baseball task, we have revealed the cortical substrate of an oculomotor decision process. ..
- Chang E, Potts M, Keles G, Lamborn K, Chang S, Barbaro N, et al. Seizure characteristics and control following resection in 332 patients with low-grade gliomas. J Neurosurg. 2008;108:227-35 pubmed publisher..Postoperatively, >90% of these patients are seizure free or have meaningful improvement. A shorter history of seizures and gross-total resection appear to be associated with a favorable prognosis for seizure control. ..
- Alvarado J, Hollander D, Juster R, Lee L. Ahmed valve implantation with adjunctive mitomycin C and 5-fluorouracil: long-term outcomes. Am J Ophthalmol. 2008;146:276-284 pubmed publisher..The adjunctive use of both intraoperative MMC and postoperative 5-FU with Ahmed valve implantation results in high success rates. IOP was well controlled in the majority of patients within the six-year postoperative period. ..
- Esther Kim J, Dodd M, Aouizerat B, Jahan T, Miaskowski C. A review of the prevalence and impact of multiple symptoms in oncology patients. J Pain Symptom Manage. 2009;37:715-36 pubmed publisher..Only when this descriptive research is completed with homogenous samples of patients in terms of cancer diagnoses and treatments can intervention studies for multiple symptoms be developed and tested. ..
- Mazotti L, Vidyarthi A, Wachter R, Auerbach A, Katz P. Impact of duty-hour restriction on resident inpatient teaching. J Hosp Med. 2009;4:476-80 pubmed publisher..Academic hospitalists should consider these impacts of DHR and make adjustments such as educational and work-life innovations to account for these shifts. ..
- Fox L, Lightdale C, Grossman M. Lichen planus of the esophagus: what dermatologists need to know. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2011;65:175-83 pubmed publisher..ELP is underrecognized and underreported. There is often a significant delay between the onset of symptoms and the diagnosis. Malignant transformation of ELP to squamous cell carcinoma has been reported. ..
- Valcour V, Ananworanich J, Agsalda M, Sailasuta N, Chalermchai T, Schuetz A, et al. HIV DNA reservoir increases risk for cognitive disorders in cART-naïve patients. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e70164 pubmed publisher..These reservoirs remain present despite cART. The objective of this study was to determine if the level of HIV DNA in CD14(+) enriched monocytes predicted cognitive impairment and brain injury...
- Gilmore H, Liu A, Koester K, Amico K, McMahan V, Goicochea P, et al. Participant experiences and facilitators and barriers to pill use among men who have sex with men in the iPrEx pre-exposure prophylaxis trial in San Francisco. AIDS Patient Care STDS. 2013;27:560-6 pubmed publisher..Future PrEP adherence interventions should leverage existing routines and establish client-centered relationships/ environments to support pill taking and promote accurate reporting. ..
- Eichenfield L, Tom W, Chamlin S, Feldman S, Hanifin J, Simpson E, et al. Guidelines of care for the management of atopic dermatitis: section 1. Diagnosis and assessment of atopic dermatitis. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2014;70:338-51 pubmed publisher..Known risk factors for the development of disease are also reviewed. ..
- Gunthard H, Aberg J, Eron J, Hoy J, Telenti A, Benson C, et al. Antiretroviral treatment of adult HIV infection: 2014 recommendations of the International Antiviral Society-USA Panel. JAMA. 2014;312:410-25 pubmed publisher..Regimens should be selected or changed based on resistance test results with consideration of dosing frequency, pill burden, adverse toxic effect profiles, comorbidities, and drug interactions. ..
- Forero Torres A, Varley K, Abramson V, Li Y, Vaklavas C, Lin N, et al. TBCRC 019: A Phase II Trial of Nanoparticle Albumin-Bound Paclitaxel with or without the Anti-Death Receptor 5 Monoclonal Antibody Tigatuzumab in Patients with Triple-Negative Breast Cancer. Clin Cancer Res. 2015;21:2722-9 pubmed publisher..Preclinical activity of TIG in basal-like breast cancer and prolonged PFS in few patients in the combination arm support further investigation of anti-DR5 agents. ROCK pathway activation merits further evaluation. ..
- Mathur M, Reichling D. Navigating a social world with robot partners: A quantitative cartography of the Uncanny Valley. Cognition. 2016;146:22-32 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that while classic elements of human social psychology govern human-robot social interaction, robust UV effects pose a formidable android-specific problem. ..
- Yamey G, Horvath H, Schmidt L, Myers J, Brindis C. Reducing the global burden of Preterm Birth through knowledge transfer and exchange: a research agenda for engaging effectively with policymakers. Reprod Health. 2016;13:26 pubmed publisher..We hope that our proposed research agenda stimulates further debate and discussion on research priorities to soon bend the curve of PTB mortality. ..
- Rinaudo P, Lamb J. Fetal origins of perinatal morbidity and/or adult disease. Semin Reprod Med. 2008;26:436-45 pubmed publisher..The effects of embryo culture on early development and gene expression and methylation status is reviewed and discussed. ..